Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the pod that makes personal finance fun, especially on Fridays. It's our favorite day of the week because we get the team together to celebrate you the incredible She's on the Money community. I'm actually not Victoria Divine, don't know if you up.
Speaker 2: I'm Jessica Riggy.
Speaker 4: I'm taking the reins because Miss Victoria sounds a little bit like this.
Speaker 5: It sounds a little bit demonic, and we.
Speaker 2: Love that from you.
Speaker 5: So'm here like physically but mostly spiritually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, yeap.
Speaker 4: So if you hear a little a little scratching in the background.
Speaker 5: I still wanted to be involved, Like, you can't keep me.
Speaker 2: Away from this. No, Unfortunately, have you guys been trying.
Speaker 4: So today I'm going to share my favorite Moneys that's gonna share her best broke tips. We're going to be answering a money dilemma, which this week is all about wanting to help your parents boost their super so they have enough money for retirement, as well as something that you slid into our dms about this week, we're chatting what do you do when you're trying to save money on bills and your housemate is cranking the heater wearing a T shirt like it summer.
Speaker 2: Don't look at me like that? Why no? I I like it sounds like me. That's exactly what I heard. She was gonna say.
Speaker 5: It's Yess, said Chess. I swear jess as heaters set at twenty six every single time, and she's like on zoom in a singlet. I'm like, yeah, no, soon if we want to live, like, put some socks on.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: How's everybody's weeks been there before we get into it?
Speaker 5: I'm good girl, no, like I've just lost my voice, like I've yapped too close to the sun, Like this is what happens when I bite off more than I can talk. When I do too many like public speaking things, I feel like my vocal cords just get exhausted. And then they say no more, and then I say good try and then I still come to what I want. It's so cool, Thank you, thank you. I like sexy rough Ye, I don't feel cool. Oh sorry, I feel frustrated because there's just so much cool stuff that I want to do right now, Like how do you record a dice in air wrap video when you can't do a voiceover? And then that's the question of it all is I'm like, guys, look at my hair today, is so voluminous.
Speaker 2: It looks beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 3: Shame.
Speaker 5: I did still put a little video on the internet. But I couldn't be like, oh, this is how I did it because I sounded demonic.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 5: That's the most first world problem you ever run into. But also best week ever. Beck we all know has a side hustle of creating clay creations. She has made me a baby ravioli. It's like a spoon rest, but mine's pink and it has red like accents on it, and it says divine and it has these little cherries on it.
Speaker 2: I have never seen something more me.
Speaker 5: I I feel so thought of, Like it's just so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: I feel really bad because Jess came in and gave me a jellycat keyring and I said, thanks Jess. Anyway, here, Victoria, here's my gift.
Speaker 4: What I did to Victoria giving you a gift.
Speaker 5: That it's not like, oh, if I'm giving just a gift, I have to give beck a gift. It's just like I'm giving you one because I thought of you specifically in this moment, like it happens in ebbs and flows.
Speaker 2: I think that's the best part about it.
Speaker 7: True.
Speaker 2: You know, I do think of you both equally.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 6: One of you has a gift that was your.
Speaker 2: Week, really good week.
Speaker 6: I was in Sydney a couple of weeks ago, and so I think I just like, when I come back from Sydney, I'm like, I'm so grateful for the life I have in Melbourne, you know. So I've just been riding a high. Really, I don't think it much. Too much has been going on just living, love and laughing as always and what about you?
Speaker 4: Nothing crazy. I've been on a Marvel rewatch. So I went on very interesting Thunderbolts a couple of weeks ago when it released, which was very exciting. We got invited to the previews, so it's so cool to be out with me. They had someone stand at the front. They're like, you're some of the first people in the world to see this movie, and I was like, that is so cool, and it was great. I feel like there was a bit of a lull. I think anyone who's a big Marvel fanmily agree. There was like a soft period, feels.
Speaker 2: Like we're coming out of it.
Speaker 4: And so after watching that movie, I was like, oh, I want to go and rewatch everything in chronological order because it feels like they're starting to tie a lot of things together and there's so many to watch.
Speaker 2: So it's that's all I'm doing. I wouldn't have picked you for a Marvel girl.
Speaker 4: A lot of people say that my favorite film genre is like an action adventure.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, don't love a rom com? Would you believe? I would not believe.
Speaker 5: I do not believe. I think she's to us.
Speaker 2: That's I don't get what she says. I don't believe. Yeah, I think action is well for me.
Speaker 6: I find it so boring because I'm like, there, just there's a lot of sound.
Speaker 5: I know what's gonna happen. True, I's going to prevail, exactly, we already know what's going to happen.
Speaker 6: I want to know.
Speaker 5: I respect your where I can predict who's going to fall in love. Yes, yeah, I prefer that kind of predictability. Yes, you also went to that with an ulterior motive. You were like, I'm super excited about this, but also it's being hosted by Disney.
Speaker 2: It's socredible.
Speaker 5: What were you trying to do while you're there?
Speaker 2: I was trying to meet some people, connect some things. Disney cruise.
Speaker 4: Perhaps I'm really on this time, Like she's on the cruise. It's got to be a way to make it happen. Sadly, it turns out it was me in about five thousand of my closest friends at this event, see, which was still an absolute That's okay.
Speaker 5: We can then get a Disney cruise.
Speaker 2: We're going to figure out a way to make it happen. Do you imagine back on a Disney cruise I think you'd have the best time.
Speaker 4: I think you were leaning in the way that I would need somebody to yes, yes, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 5: I feel like you have to lean in, Like you can't go on a Disney cruise and not do all the activities and go like Disney Bingo and do all of the things like I want to eat all of the Mickey shaped everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like there could be in. I think I'm in.
Speaker 7: I'm in.
Speaker 2: It has a idea, but I'm in. Leave it with me. But do you guys like to hear it? Speaking of wonderful things, this week's five star reviews.
Speaker 5: You get to read these, but no one wants to hear it.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm taking much joy in doing it myself, just so you know, to really rub the soul in the wound. This week's review is from Tyler, and she said to that she's on the Money Girls team listeners and everyone. I started listening about eight months ago, and it truly has changed my life. I am now completely dead free, And even though it sounds like a bad situation, I got myself to be financially stable enough that I got to resign from my incredibly toxic job this week without feeling stressed or anxious on how I could afford things until I get a new job. She said, she's now going to be testing sight hustle tips. Not only is it helping me financially, but you've also taught me things that have helped put me in a situation that improves my mental health.
Speaker 2: Again, the biggest thank you from the bottom of my house. Oh my god, that's so good.
Speaker 5: It always feel so special that you guys take the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't have to, but you do. That's really nice. I'm so happy.
Speaker 4: And it's likely to get an update on your life and what you're doing. And yeah, manifesting the perfect job pops up for you.
Speaker 7: Tyler.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm not to hear it all about me, but do you want to hear some money wins?
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 4: I should have thought this through a I'll speed get through it. You probably sick me first one this week. I've got this from Jamie, who went to two inspections for interstate buyers over the weekend. She got one hundred and twenty dollars for each one just to walk through the house, snap a few photos and that was it. Bucks for about thirty minutes of work on a Saturday morning.
Speaker 2: She said, Oh my god, that's so good.
Speaker 4: And for anyone wondering. Beck commented and said not our Beck. Different Beck commented and said how did you do this? And Jamie said it was air tasker. So good little anybody out there, I have a little wonder on your Saturday morning.
Speaker 2: I love a property perv. Yeah, through, I'm not get paid for it. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Next, I've got the money win from Olivia, who said her partner bought her a coffee machine as an early Mother's Day present, so she hasn't brought herself a coffee in two weeks and she's saving five dollars and ten cents per day.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's so good. How are you are with your coffee? You're doing still going? Absolutely, I have not.
Speaker 6: Literally the early days I buy coffee is when I'm here and I've run out of time in the morning and so I must buy coffee. But every other day I do not buy coffee. And I actually prefer you get to a point, we prefer the taste of the coffee that you make the.
Speaker 4: French press, the French little French press. Yes, absolutely incredible. Next, I've got money in from Joe, who said she has solar and hasn't had a bill in about a year. She's actually getting credits back from you see company each month.
Speaker 2: She said.
Speaker 4: The other day they were mail to check for the majority of the credit amount and they still have credit to apply to the next bill.
Speaker 5: He got a check. Yeah, you make a legitimate cash from selling your energy.
Speaker 2: You're going to pay me.
Speaker 5: The energy cofee is coming to you.
Speaker 2: God, that is so cool. I love solar so good.
Speaker 6: Why did she have energy?
Speaker 5: She didn't use all the stuff that she made.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think she produced a sur plus, and I believe I see put back into the grid somewhow.
Speaker 2: I'm smarter pers God.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they, I guess pay her for the energy that she generated for them.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Whi's pretty cool. That's so cool. You go renewable energy. You love to see it. I love to see it.
Speaker 4: Next, I've got money in from Shelby, who said she booked her son's birthday party at a PLAE center a few weeks back for this weekend.
Speaker 2: It's just passed.
Speaker 4: When she arrived to pay the remaining on her invoice, she was told that there was a ninety nine dollar party special running at the time that she booked it. She had no idea and saved herself a tidy two hundred and twenty dollars.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Oh that's a lot.
Speaker 4: I was thinking, that's a heap to spend on a kid's birthday, kids party's expense.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the going rate is. Is that normal?
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not at the point where Harvey is being invited, but yeah, I'm like my nieces and nephews, like, it can really add up. I mean, if you want to go to a play center, what's that like twenty bucks ahead.
Speaker 2: That's actually so Truel's.
Speaker 5: Like a dude, Like, even if it's party pies, the second you tell the center that you want them to cater, what's that going to cost?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah right, that soorry. I just yeah, it will definitely add up. And then then there's like their wedding conversation, do you pay for all the kids coming to your kid's birthday or do the kids pay?
Speaker 2: Like truly you pay?
Speaker 5: Well, See that's what I thought that I've seen in our community, people talking about, oh, I've had my kid go to these birthday parties and it cost X and I'm just like wow, okay, like I'm not prepared for this at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Harvey's too young to have little friends half parties.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting.
Speaker 4: Well, then ninety nine dollars sounds like an absolute bargain. Well done, Shelby. And lastly, this week, money in from Claire who said, I want one hundred and fifty dollar about chat for giving a review for a new product I bought, and.
Speaker 2: So then I bought myself some extra new goodies. Goteous. That's exciting. I love it for yourself. Yeah, one hundred. I love when people win those late random free giveaways. So fun, so fun.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I just realized. I was like, this is completely irrelevant. But I've developed like almost like a scalely part of my forehead and it's in the exactly.
Speaker 2: Into a Liz.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know what's coming.
Speaker 2: But it's also in the.
Speaker 6: Same position where like, because I'm Bangladeshi, it's it looks like I've got a bit cool. Yeah, and so I but it's and so I'm trying to kill it.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is, but it's not x mars.
Speaker 6: So anyway, if anyone has any ideas of what kind of why has scales my symptoms, but you just I just really need a diagnosis.
Speaker 5: Actually into a blue tongue.
Speaker 2: Very strang is happening on my forehead.
Speaker 7: And.
Speaker 6: You got some broke tips. I do have a breast scale lea forehead, Yes I do. Uh okay, So this best one comes from Pippot, who is referring to I found this in our community, and Pippot is referring to another thing that she saw, So I'm not I know that the credit isn't all on Pippot, but I just want to say that she's the one that alerted me to this. So she said, I have to thank someone In a previous post about community places to yoga for free, I just signed up for four sessions this past week. This compares to signing up for a class that can cost me a minimum of dollars per session. And so I don't know where the original information came from. But all I want to say is I did not know that was a thing community yoga classes.
Speaker 5: I didn't either.
Speaker 2: It's really cute. That is so cute.
Speaker 6: So it's like I mean exercise classes these days, my partner pays like, I don't know, fifty bucks a week for Upstate or something, and.
Speaker 9: There's more so she doesn't know what Upstate is what it is, but like fifty bucks is I'm you know, I'm being really, you know, not generous, the opposite of generous, because it's probably way more than fifty dollars.
Speaker 5: And we can get a little fact check. Hold on, Zara, how much does Upstate cost per week? It's fifty fifty five days job.
Speaker 2: But there you go.
Speaker 6: So instead of that, and I'm sure you know yogur is, I no, never haven't really done it, but it mightn't be on the lesser end of like something that's really physically demanding, but you'd.
Speaker 2: Be still surarized.
Speaker 4: It takes a lot of strength, like yeah, okay, it's similar to pilarates in that they'll usually give you variations, yeah, depending on how advanced you are. But I so when I was younger, I we're to yogis year and it is crazy how much like strength people have, right Yeah, yeah, yeah, everything holding your body weight.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, that's so true. Sorry, I take that, I take that all back. Actually that it is intense. The second one comes from Emily, who says that if you're on long term medication, ensure your doctor writes you scripts for sixty days since the scheme. Sorry, this is helpful in saving two hundred dollars to three hundred dollars every month. I'm assuming that is because I had the same thing, Like I would go to my doctor every twenty days to get a i mean prescriptions, and well that was just at the very start. And now she's written, like, you know, just six months plus. Yeah, that has helped, because it's what is it, like eighty bucks after Medicare rebate pocket out of pocket, and.
Speaker 2: So I think it's just a fantastic idea.
Speaker 6: If you have the option, if your doctor is willing try and get six months plus worth of prescriptions practical.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. Thank you, yes, and thank you too much, Emily.
Speaker 5: I didn't know people didn't do that by default, like in the nicest possible way. I have a brilliant doctor, and he always gives me like a script for six months of my like anti anxiety medication, yes, and so like he checks in with me every six months and then I get a new script and it's all good to go.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 5: But you know, maybe people don't get it as often as I do, Like it makes sense like asking for more on your script if it's non coincident, like it's of no you know.
Speaker 6: Issue, yes totally and I guess like sometimes doctors want to see you after with.
Speaker 5: Dex like absolutely like what Beck's talking about. She mentioned dex amphetamine, which is a very restricted drug that can be prescribed to you if you have ADHD yes and when you first go on to ADHD medication, they like manage it really closely, so you might not have the ability to you know, ask for a longer script until they call it trust you with the medication or true work out that it works with your body. But like, definitely ask what's the worst? They can say no, sorry, yeah, no that's very true.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'd say, yeah, just ask the question anyway and see how you go.
Speaker 6: This next one comes from myself and also our producer, who are alerted me that Grilled is actually doing mad Wait Bad Wait mad bundays.
Speaker 4: Does that make any sense to you? This came up in the slack recently. Georgia loves this.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a real tongue twister. Is that intentionally?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 2: How it works this is through Grilled.
Speaker 6: How it works is you sign up, you pick your Aussie rules team or your UGI league team. I just did it before. I don't think you pick one of each. I did try. There could be a way, but I haven't found it. And then if that team wins a match, you get a free burger coupon send to your email and relish account, which is what they call the grilled account. You can dine in on Monday, spend tween doors and redeem your free burger at the till, and then bask in the glory. Brag to your mates. Is step number five. Step number five is non negotiable. And that's me for this week.
Speaker 5: I love that because grilled burgers are so expensive.
Speaker 2: And they're so yummy.
Speaker 5: Yah're so good, but like twenty dollars for a burger at what feels like a fast food place. Like, don't get me wrong, I know that it's like quality and not McDonald's whatever, it's still expensive.
Speaker 2: It's expensive.
Speaker 4: And you got a one in two chance, right, like you're picking a keay deal. It's good odds even if you don't follow.
Speaker 5: Do you know what, have a date night every week with your partner and both vote again, my god, that's a good deal. So you and just get an account pick and she goes one way, you go the other way.
Speaker 2: That you can.
Speaker 6: You can only pick one at the start unless you make multiple accounts, which is also an option.
Speaker 5: So I mean, Grill's not paying us, so do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: And on that lovely notes, yes, if you pay me, I will do better. Victoria can be bought with a grill. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Let's go really quick break. We can chatburgers while we're there. When we come back, we're going to be talking all about how to help your parents boost their supers that they have enough for retirement, and whether or not you should be cranking the heater when you're living with a housemate. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everyone, and here's this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 3: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that. She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 8: She's on the Money. I have the money dilemma. Not directly for myself, but it actually relates to my parents and their retirement. I mean thinking a lot recently about how their retirement is coming up soon, maybe in the next decade. My done is sixty, my mom is fifty eight, and selfishly, in the cost of the being crisis, I don't really want to be in a position where I would need to support them financially while also supporting myself. For context, our family moved to Australia about seventeen years ago, so my parents just haven't really had very much time in the workforce in Australia while receiving SUPER contributions, and I'm just sort of looking for some tips on how they can prepare for their retire and in other ways or boost the SUPER or anything like that. My mom has been mostly stayed at home mom, so she really has very minimal SUPER and I don't know exactly how much my dad has, but I know that when they've looked into using those SUPER to purchase a house, it wasn't even enough for a house deposit.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I'd really.
Speaker 8: Appreciate any thoughts, insight, or any tips for how they can start preparing for their retirement.
Speaker 5: I have a lot to say about their pension system here in Australia. But before that, Beck, what would you do? I totally know this anxiety.
Speaker 6: I feel very much the same with my mum Selfishly, I don't think she has a lot of super and so I'm like, I just think I know that in some cultures it just kind of like expected that you kind of like help support your parents when they can't support themselves anymore when they retire. There's a lot of pressure in this day and age, Like I mean, I can't even afford myself and like to you know, it's a lot of pressure to put it on someone.
Speaker 2: So I totally get the anxiety.
Speaker 6: I guess I would discuss what their plans are after retirement and if they're if they're like, we're all good, like we have this much in super, we will get the pension well whatever else, then maybe like you.
Speaker 2: Can take a load off.
Speaker 6: But if they're like, oh, we kind of expected that you would help us out, then my only advice is panic and that's it. But no, I think that, like, I don't think it's ever too late, but you could maybe sign them up for like community housing if it's an option or something like that. So it's a you know, have an ongoing cost of you know, living, whether it's mortgage, whether it's renting or something like that. Like that's just a really nice security blanket because it can be quite a long waitlist. So if they have that there, that would be good. I don't really know what the living situation's like, so sorry, if you've already sorted that out, Yeah, I think I think just like chat with them about what their plans won't be and kind of stress them, like, this is very could be a scary time financially if they don't have a plan in place.
Speaker 2: That's my advice. I hope that's kind of helpful. Jess, what are you thinking.
Speaker 4: I think it's probably best to ask them about their financial situation holistically, because just because they don't have money in super doesn't mean that they maybe don't have cash assets or some kind of investment. I know that that. You know often when young families, I great, that may not be the case, but you don't know. If that's not a conversation you've ever had, maybe they are holding something that you're not aware of. Although the comment that our listener made about them considering pulling money out of Super for a house deposit and it not being enough for that suggests to me that maybe you know it won't be the case, but you never know. Good to just take a look at the bigger picture where possible, I would say to echo you back, it's really hard, I think as a child to take that responsibility on, and it's okay to have conflicting emotions. I don't think that it's selfish. I think it's very understandable that you feel the way that you do, and it's hard to have to take on this responsibility that you didn't ask for. It's kind of like the reverse, like a parent chooses to have a child, but a child doesn't choose to be born, and so then to have that responsibility, yeah, when you had no say in it, it can probably bring up I think a lot of emotions, and that's completely understandable. Something to consider if you are going to be in a position, or if you have already purchased a property yourself, you could look at building like a granny flat or a tiny home on your property. Because I think I don't know a lot, vd's going to know a lot more than I do about our pension system. But from what I understand, it's really set up with the assumption that people will own their own property by the age of retirement, which as we know now is generally, you know, not always the case. So I feel like housing is probably one of firstly the biggest expenses that they will incur as retirees and probably one of the biggest stresses. So even if it's not permanent, you know, an affordable tiny home granny flat option, if that's something you can put onto a property that you either have now or my purchase in the future, could be kind of a middle ground potentially, like it's you're not necessarily contributing to them financially, but you're easing their burden in a way, if that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is that why it's called a granny flat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because people would often put them on their property for like granny parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for grannie exactly. That's cute.
Speaker 4: And you can buy lots of different like there's all kinds now you can buy, like tiny homes that are pre assembled and containers and also so maybe looking into something like that.
Speaker 2: Otherwise I don't have a lot of information, so I'm just gonna handfall that right over to the financial expert.
Speaker 5: So I have limited voice, and I do apologize that this is a husky version, but you actually have a lot of control. You have a lot of ability to help them. Because you've said, you know, they're immigrated seventeen years ago. I'm assuming they don't fully comprehend like the Australian pension system. So that's where your knowledge and skill could come into it. No, it's not going to require you putting your cash on the table, but it might require you sitting down with your parents and helping them.
Speaker 2: Create a plan.
Speaker 5: Right, so you said that they were I would say relatively young, like they're not, you know, in their late sixties when you can access a pension, so today they can't. They would have to be at their what's called like a qualification age basically, which is where you hit a particular age to be able to access the age pension. They have a number of years before they get to that, at which point I would assume that the plan is not to buy property. And the reason I would say it's not to buy property is because of the amount that would be required to purchase that property and then.
Speaker 2: Also pay off that property, et cetera.
Speaker 5: They might or you might find they're in a better situation to make a plan for the next five even ten years to aggressively contribute to their superannuation so that they can draw down on that. In addition to the age care pension, which given you've told me they don't have a lot of assets and I've made the assumption that they don't own their house, is potentially going to look like as following. Right, So the age care pension gives a maximum, and there's like different levels of what they're going to look at and not look at. For single people, it gives a maximum of eleven hundred and fifty one dollars and thirty cents a fortnite or twenty seven thousand dollars a year, or for a couple, it gives you fifteen hundred and eighty five dollars a fortnight, which is about forty one two hundred and ten dollars a year. Right, you might look at that and go great, like that's within the amount that they need to live, like they could definitely live on that, or you might go, oh, that's not going to be super comfortable, at which point that's where their superranuation comes in. And I know that you're saying that their superannuation isn't heaps, but it doesn't need to be. And like I think a lot of people assume because you know she's on the money. It's all about creating wealth and creating financial stability. And I am so privileged to have this financial literacy at a young age that I do want to retire a millionaire. I'd be disappointed if I had this knowledge and this aggressive nature to save and invest right now at this age, if I didn't make the most of that and then retire comfortably. The same for you, Jess, Like, I know you want to retire well, and I know you will because you've started so young and you had time on your side right now. Your parents don't. But I don't want you to stress over that, because what happens with your super is we're going to load as much into it as possible, and then every year we can draw down on that, so the money stays invested and on average, you were expecting a rate of return of about five percent on that money. But then you might take out a couple of thousand dollars to make life more comfortable. Some years you might go no, we're not going to go on a holiday, or no, we're not going to do this or that, and that forty one thousand dollars might just keep the lights on and life tracking along. But if you want to have a sixty thousand dollar income, you might take twenty thousand dollars a year from your superannuation to quote top up what your pension is. And the pension actually allows for that, like you're not going to be reprimanded, and that money is tax free once it's gone into pension phase. So I think that that's really important. There are a number of different types of pensions, so I would be going onto the moneysmart dot gov dot AU website and understanding exactly what they might be able to access. But then on top of that, there are heaps of the things that you could set your parents up with. So get a concession card so that they get cheaper utility bills, cheaper medical bills. You know, they get bulk build when they need to, they get discounted, if not free public transport. In some states, you have to be over the age of sixty. Your dad actually ticks that box right now, so he could have those benefits right now. You need to also potentially look at I would say a Senior's card. So a Senior's card is a really cool thing. It gives you again discounts on public transport or like some goods and services. You might see it at the checkout of some like cafes and stuff. They do a little Senior's discount to make life a little bit more affordable.
Speaker 2: Don't I can gives you free cinnamon donuts.
Speaker 5: There you go, And I just think cinnamon donuts are going to change your life. But like, having these cards and knowing the benefits of them is going to increase your quality of life. Like if your parents are going far out, we're going to retire, both of us are currently working full time, or we have you know, more than one hundred thousand dollars coming into our household right now, going to forty one thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: That's hard.
Speaker 5: So what can we do to support that to go?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Well, you love a coffee and you love a donut, Like, here are a few benefits that could maintain that type of lifestyle so that the two of them can still go out and have those little dates or have the nice sweet treats that they definitely deserve but maybe can't fit in the.
Speaker 2: Budget as easily.
Speaker 5: Now there is going to be different eligibility criteria depending on your state and territory, so you need to look into that. I wish I could be like this is exactly what it is. And then there's the Commonwealth Senior's Healthcare cart So get them in all of that, like sign them up for all the benefits. Go talk to center Link, go work out what that looks like. The other thing I would say is when parents get a little bit older, sometimes they aren't well. And if that is the case, there's often more pressure on one person in that relationship, like your mum might be caring for your dad. In that case, talk to send about care is pay Is there an ability to have you know that be documented by a doctor to get an additional subsidy or an additional benefit for looking after that person, which you know what, if it is accessible and available to you, please just sign up for it, like it is there for you. We live in this country which is so beautiful, and this is why I pay my taxes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I want my tax money to go to it.
Speaker 5: This is what I want my tax money to go towards. This is why I'm so passionate about feeling privileged about paying tax, and I know that so many people could be like, oh it goes to the doll blood as it does. I don't care about those people. There is always going to be an individual in any system trying to take advantage of it. But you're telling me that my tax dollars go to making sure that we have healthcare, that we have roads that are safe to drive on, and that your parents can retire. Pop off.
Speaker 2: I love that for us.
Speaker 5: So you can actually do a lot about retirement planning and you can actually sit down and go okay, cool, like this is a bit overwhelming, but the money smart webs is so straightforward, like yes, the process might be hard, but like start talking to your parents now, like go okay cool, Like we need to have a look at your retirement plan because one thing, so for those of you, you know, playing along at home, when you do the aged care pension and you're trying to sign up for this, there's going to be an.
Speaker 2: Aged care eligibility.
Speaker 5: And I'm going to do a whole episode on this because I think it's really important. But in Australia, to get the full pension, you cannot have assets of more than four hundred and seventy thousand dollars. So let's say your parents have five hundred thousand dollars in stuperanuation between them and you want to get the full pension. Your family home is not being taken into consideration potentially, And I'm not saying that this is the perfect advice, but I have seen people do it before and it has worked for them. And you know, there's I'm going to do a whole episode, so I can, you know, do heaps of scenarios for you. I have seen people take thirty thousand dollars from their super invested in upgrading their home. They might get a new bathroom or you know, an updated kitchen. They now fall below the eligibility for a full pension, they can get their full pension instead of a part pension. Yeah, and they get something out of that that they actually probably wanted. But they were, you know, squirreling away all of their money because they were like, we'll need as much as possible, and which is true. But then maybe they've got that. And we're just using this as an example because I know lots of people are not retiring with four hundred and seventy thousand dollars in superannuation, but then they've got that four seventy that is not going to last them their entire life. But they might every year take another twenty thousand dollars out of their super and then have their pension of forty one thousand dollars and have a sixty thousand dollars income, And that is what retirement planning could look like for them. I'm not saying that your parents are you know, flush with cash, but in Australia, we are so lucky to have a system that supports people being able to move into retirement and live out their best lives. And I'm not saying it's going to be, you know, an income of like three hundred grand and they're living plush and they go on to Italy and all of that. Like they can retire, they can put food on the table, they can still enjoy life and not have to work full time for the rest of their lives. But in saying that, we are seeing and I'm so passionate about this, but we are seeing people choose to retire later, like closer to seventy or seventy five, because they feel fit, they feel healthy, and they feel well, and they're like, well, I want to put more money into my superrow. I want to continue to work so that I can have more And that's valid as well. So have this conversation with your parents. You don't know what their intentions are. And just because the quote retirement age is sixty five doesn't mean they have to tap out then, especially if they're fit and well and healthy. Like there's also sorry getting a little bit ahead of this, there is also like the ability to do some part time work while still getting your full time pension. So like there's up to I think it's about eleven thousand dollars. Do not quote me on that number because I haven't been a financial advisor in a long time, but it's about eleven thousand dollars worth of work you can do. So if your dad wants to continue doing one or two days a week or something, he might actually be able to do that, maintain some like work life balance, and also retire. So I just there's a lot you can do. And I think a lot of people just assume fire out. My parents don't have heaps, they're not going to be able to retire, and it's going to come back on me. You know what, I think that stepping into going hey, I could actually help you with financial planning. It doesn't mean it has to be your money. So let's maybe move towards being able to help people that way, because do you know how many people don't know what they're able to access?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and your time you thinking about it early, like this is great time to figure it out exactly.
Speaker 5: Exactly, and there's never like it's never too late. Yeah, like there's always a way to make something work. Yeah, totally, That's why I love financial planning anyway, Sorry, guys, we can do the juicy stuff now.
Speaker 4: All right, this week's m when a little something like this, Hey, she's some money. This might be over the top, but it's getting colder and my winter anxiety is setting in. I live in a share and I'm really careful.
Speaker 2: With my money.
Speaker 4: I'll layer up sit under a blanket before I even think about turning the heating on. But my housemate is the total opposite. She'll crank the heating the second it's cold and walk around in a T shirt like it's summer. Every time I hear it kick on, I feel sick thinking about the bill, our priorities are just so different. She earns more than I do and doesn't seem to think about the cost, and I literally lie in bed worrying about it. I don't think it's fair that we split the bill fifty to fifty because I barely use the heater. I haven't said anything because I don't want to be that housemate, but it's starting to really stress me out. What do you even do in that situation?
Speaker 2: I am the crank the heater housemate.
Speaker 6: But I also think, like if you are living with someone, this is the tricky thing about like housemates, and like any kind of situation where you are put in a position where like if you discuss how you're feeling, people are I don't know what I'm trying to say, but I think like in this dynamic, the likelihood of someone getting defensive is so much higher for some reason in like a sharehouse environment. So it's like it's very hard to like just be like, oh, just communicate with them.
Speaker 2: Because this is a very scary situation. I totally get that.
Speaker 6: But hopefully your housemate is someone who is really really open and really chill, really fair, really kind, and is not going to be defensive.
Speaker 2: That is the perfect scenario.
Speaker 6: I do think it's you know, and I don't want to be like, you know, communication is key, but I think people grew up different. I feel like if you grew up wanting to just blast the heater out, like I grew up in a heater household, where like there's not even for a single second, and there's no way I'm going to be uncomfortable in my own house. And then I moved in with a friend who was like, just put a blanket on. I'm like, oh, please put the heater on it. And she's like, put a blanket on, just put some pants on, and like, but then once I move from the blanket and I'm in the air again, I'm freezing cold and I just want to move around my home comfortably.
Speaker 2: And she's like, no, it's you know, just chuck some socks on, just put more socks.
Speaker 6: On, that friendly pairs of socks anywhere I just put the heater on.
Speaker 2: And so like, I'm a heater girl because I want the air to be warm. I want to move freely. But I will also pay. I'll happily pay more.
Speaker 5: You would hate living with me.
Speaker 2: I hate cold.
Speaker 5: You would because like even when the heater goes on, Get this, guys, this is not a flex. Jess would hate living with me as well. In fact, when just comes to my house, I purposefully put the heater up because I know she'll be more that's cue.
Speaker 2: But like I will put the heater.
Speaker 5: Up to a level when Jess is not in my house that it just takes the edge off, like it doesn't have to be warm. But like, girl, we're not going to be living in twenty three degree heat. Like you don't need heat twenty three degree heat, No, absolutely not, and your house does not need to be twenty three degrees, but like it can't be below like sixteen, that's ridiculous totally, but like you know, I'll get it up to twenty and then I'll turn off the heater.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because you can wear socks and a blanky and like it's just so not efficient energy why But also like it's so expensive, like that's the bee it's so expended expensive.
Speaker 6: But if someone was like I'll pay seventy eighty percent of the energy bill.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you're not having that conversation yet. So like if your housemate had said that you're not going to feel sick at night, are you, like you're not going to be like worried about it. Just what would you do if you and I had to time?
Speaker 2: Like right in the middle.
Speaker 4: So as you guys know, someone actually commented with this on one of our reels very recently. We spoke about do you remember we filmed it. It was like, what would you not give up from your budget? And I said, I don't think there's anything that I wouldn't cut if I had to cut things. Yes, And someone commented and said, would.
Speaker 2: Just give up her?
Speaker 4: We've actually reduced our average temperature by two degrees this year.
Speaker 2: It's important we did what it's better for the environment.
Speaker 4: And also just like last year, one month we had a bill it was eight hundred dollars and I nearly died.
Speaker 2: I nearly died, but for the quarter, for the quarter for the gas.
Speaker 5: Now it was for a month.
Speaker 4: Really yeah, and that's when I was I think our house and this is the thing is we have high ceilings, we have a bedroom house, Like it's not cheap to heat so at all. Yeah, there's lots of things a factor in. I would say, I agree, you got to talk to your house mate because if they're like Beck and they grew up in a household where you didn't think about it. I grew up in a house that didn't have heating as a child, like we did not We had a one single flame heater on the wall.
Speaker 2: That was it. Like, we didn't have central it teing, So it's never something we thought about. As an adult, I was like, oh my god, heating, this is mint.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I've just like gone really hard on the extreme. But if you're someone who never had to think about it, it might not even be occurring to them in the way that it is to you. So I think that by bringing it up, if they're as VI was saying, if they're a nice person, they might just go, oh my god, I'm so sorry. I hadn't even thought about that. So hopefully if you approach them kindly, they can just see it from your perspective. A good alternative if there's someone like Beck who does want to live in warm air, look at like.
Speaker 2: A little space heater.
Speaker 4: You can get some like relatively energy efficient ones nowadays, and particularly like if you're sitting in a living room or a bedroom, like you don't need to be heating a house and all of it rooms if.
Speaker 2: You're not using all of the roots totally.
Speaker 4: So those little space heaters are great because then maybe your housemate could heat whatever room they're into their hearts desire. They can keep it toasty comfortable, the don't have to feel bad, and the electricity is generally a lot more affordable than gas as well. So if you can get an energy efficient one, because there are some that are really not zero energy efficient, that might be a good middle ground.
Speaker 2: But I think you just have a chat to them.
Speaker 6: And I wasn't even thinking about it because we don't really do the air con like household thing.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about those little orange radiator heaters. You put your heater blanket on, you get your radiated. You know it's and so that's what I was.
Speaker 4: So that's actually really clod blanket too. We recommended this on stories recently.
Speaker 2: Used to at the office.
Speaker 4: If you're an officerity, you would need a heated tha get it came out. I think you're about forty five dollars. Aldie did them as a special wife a few weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Forty five You would be shocked at how warm one of those keeps you. A gift.
Speaker 5: Also, I want to mention here because Becky said that it was a really scary thing to have these conversations with your housemate, and I totally get that. I think when you're having these conversations, you also need to take the emotion out of it. But you need to actually look at how you're approaching situations like this. Because if Beck, you and I live together and I came to you and I said, you always have the heater on, immediately, you're going to be different one hundred percent. So we need to approach it. Hey, Beck, I'm actually really stressed about the money side of things, and I noticed our bill's really high, and I just I feel we're not saying you do, We're saying I feel like we could probably cut back on how much we use the heater because I didn't realize how much it was, or you know, you could even find some soft ways to integrate it, be like I saw this TikTok about how much heaters like actually cost and how much they bump up your bill, or you know, I listened to this podcast, Like, you don't have to immediately go you always have the heater. The second you do that, you're making a defensive conversation and they're not going to come to the table. They're going to come to their own defense. So how do you start a conversation where people are going to come to the table as opposed to come to the defense. So I think in any situation, whether it's your housemates storing their stuff on your shelf in the fridge, or if it is you, you know, trying to negotiate the heating.
Speaker 2: Bill, it's a we thing.
Speaker 5: We are in a household together and we are able to have an impact on our finances.
Speaker 6: It's also like the problem is that the energy prices and you take the people out of it. It's like you probably love your housemate and you guys have it exactly. So that's why we need to tackle things as.
Speaker 2: A group as opposed to this.
Speaker 5: Housemate does one thing and another that just creates division and it's just going to mean that that's a point of contention. You might drop the conversation and never want to come back to it because you're like, oh, we just fought when that happened.
Speaker 2: You want to hear what everyone else?
Speaker 4: Yes, please alright it So the first thing we asked over on Instagram was are you the type of person who rugs up before you put the heating on? Sixty one percent said yep, I'm a human burrito, twenty percent said no, give me the warmth asap, and nineteen percent said, in this economy, yeah, I am. Next, we said how would you handle this situation?
Speaker 2: Eighty percent of.
Speaker 4: People said, girl, you got to bring it up asap, nine percent of people said I'm just going to live with it, and twelve percent of people said I'd passive aggressively start dropping some hints.
Speaker 5: Okay, no, no passive aggressiveness. No one wants to live with someone who's passive aggressive.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: It makes people stop leaving notes on things. Stop it. Yeah, yeah, awkward chats in the group text.
Speaker 5: Yeah, stop leaving the house.
Speaker 2: They're sending a group message. Come that out.
Speaker 4: Lastly, we said give us your two cents. We definitely got some thoughts. Firstly, somebody said, I implemented a five clothing rule in my sharehouse, but I must be wearing pants atop a jumper, socks and slippers before.
Speaker 2: The eating grace on. Wow, I kind of don't hate it. Yeah, I actually like it. I think it's fair too.
Speaker 4: Next, somebody said to me, eating is a basic necessity, and I give up other things before I gave up heating, which is also a very fair take. Somebody else said, you have to take the downsides with the upsides of sharing a house. It is cheaper for a reason, which is kind of a good point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's not if you just have the heater on the whole time.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I could probably pay more, more less and live on your own exactly. Somebody else said, I'd want to have proof that it makes a significant difference before I bother bringing it up.
Speaker 5: So I just look at your winter versus your summer bill. Yeah, there's your proof, or year on year potentially even before Jess moved in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cheaper or also get a heat pack. Heat packs a great for heating. That's another one I've got true. Somebody else said, I've been in this exact situation. I said, nothing, my house makes work from home and had the heating on twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: This is also a great point one person.
Speaker 4: Because I'm the work from home person. But I just don't turn the heater on like we have it on in the morning to bring it up to like, you know, nineteen degrees twenty degrees, and then I'll leave it off snug with a heat bag and then it goes on the evening when we're both home. Oh cute, Like, maybe that's what we try, you know, maybe there's a middle ground. Somebody else said bring it up, but be prepared that they'll probably have grievances to raise tu Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's well. Start stealing our cereal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, stop leaving your socks next to the laundry basket.
Speaker 2: I've had a conversation about that.
Speaker 4: And lastly somebody said hide the remote and then plead innocence.
Speaker 2: She's just disappeared.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because there's no like, it's not like a TV with like another button on the thing. Maybe there is, I don't know is a.
Speaker 5: Wall one, but it tends ours has the remote sitting on the wall. I'm pulling it off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just no, it definitely wasn't me. I definitely I never turned the heating on.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether I'm a really budget friendly option.
Speaker 5: You can actually have a baby and then you can blame the remote going missing on the baby.
Speaker 2: He must have run off with it, Yeah, must have been months. You're going to be just fine.
Speaker 5: They're going to be financially flush, and I think that's it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to see me out. I hope you feeling had it.
Speaker 4: Next week, VD, we miss your toes, but you can hear on Monday.
Speaker 2: That was recorded before this. I think it's quite sexy.
Speaker 1: You don't.
Speaker 2: That's very nice.
Speaker 5: That's very nice. We'll see you next week, guys.
Speaker 2: Bye guys.
Speaker 3: By The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money exists purely for.
Speaker 3: Educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 3: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sirper Pty lt D. A b N three two one is six four nine two seven seven z roe eight a f s L four five one two eight nine
Speaker 2: Mm hmm