Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast.
Speaker 2: Plant to deep their line.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to TV Reload. My name is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are a major part of our home entertainment and very little is known about how our favorite TV shows get made. Each episode, I find guests that want to dive just that little bit deeper into the shows they're currently making, so that you can hear all their exclusive stories and gain access to the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast. I love hearing your feedback, so make sure you leave a comment on your chosen podcast platform and I'll make sure you feel as included in the production of this show as I possibly can. On today's podcast, I have this week's booted cast away from Australian Survivor Heroes Versus Villains and what a shock it's been for Haley Stands as we saw our winner from Brains versus braun Get the Chop.
Speaker 3: We only have four.
Speaker 1: Episodes left and who better to unpack the competition with than one of my favorite players and one of my favorite winners from the Survivor universe. Hailey had to bring so much to the game and we will discuss if returning to the game was always an option. Hailey will also discuss her friendship with George and if it is only for the camera. We will also talk surprising results and who she is the most shocked.
Speaker 3: To see still in the game. Plus, we will.
Speaker 1: Get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes of the seventh week of Australian Survivor, which you can catch up on now on ten Playing.
Speaker 3: Anyway, let's bring Haley into the podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of obsessed with her, so hopefully I don't fan girl too much, and I really do hope you enjoy this episode.
Speaker 3: Hi, Haley, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm really excited to having this chat. I think never really in a franchise do we get to see three people that made it to the end come back and relive that whole exp again, but then start at the bottom and try and make their way to the top again.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling about that whole experience?
Speaker 2: I am. I feel awesome about the experience, Like I never imagined that me, George and Flick and Simon, all four of the players from our last season would get to merge, Like there is a bonding that happens when you play together, and on top of that, we're friends. So it just really was quite an advantage for all of us to.
Speaker 4: Be merged together.
Speaker 1: Would you have been disappointed if Flick and George had been allowed to go back and that you had to stay at home?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't have to question if I wanted to come back, though, because I knew that I would.
Speaker 4: Be an.
Speaker 2: Let's just have a big target on my back, because I would be a winner, and so I really had to be willing to go back, knowing that my chances of winning weren't very high. But I knew that, yeah I would. I couldn't watch them play and not being there, I would be super jealous.
Speaker 1: Lived my nightmare forming because they did a All Stars like a redone version of Big Brother, and they took back the second and the third player, but I was the winner and I got left at home, And yeah, it took me a full week to pull my life together because I felt, so it was in my bones the disappointment. However, I watched the show and loved it, Like I had the time and the space for the show to be made and then to be promoted, and then I was able to grow up and.
Speaker 2: To be fair, Like, it was hard for me to have a lot of fun in this season because there was a lot of pressure as the winner, for people to kept saying like you're meant to make moves, you meant to something about, like you meant to hold onto your legacy like I have that legacy is going anywhere like one that's happened, Like this is.
Speaker 4: A brand new experience.
Speaker 2: So I had no fears about that, but like there was a lot of pressure and the pressure I put on myself to live up to expectation. And I don't think anyone else has that on them, So yeah, I found that quite challenging.
Speaker 4: So maybe that was nice.
Speaker 1: For you, not and that pressure, Sure it was only for me from home, Like I had that pressure on you myself as a viewer and as a fan and with my own ties to you know, reality television being a winner and not being able to come back and what would it have looked like and I want to say to you, I feel so proud of you, and I felt so entertained by you, and I think if anyone was to come back and do it and manage to get as far as you did, it's really only you and the skill set that you have to this game.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it's like a single tear rolling in my eye. That's so nice. That's so nice, because I did feel that quite strongly, like I didn't want to let anyone down who had been so supportive to me the first time.
Speaker 2: And what I love about Survivor is the game play, Like I love the moves, and so it was kind of hard for me not to be out in the front making moves. But I really wanted to win, like I was playing for the win at the end, not just to get far.
Speaker 4: I felt like I could make big.
Speaker 2: Moves and get far, but i'd get voted out. Was trying to be subtle about it so that I could actually take the crown at the end, and I was trying to get there with someone I thought I could win against. The thing that was the most challenging was that you start getting in your head about who you think you can be, and a lot of talk on the beach is that you're a winner, so you can't win against other people because we want to give them a chance. You have to be against someone that no one lacks for you to win. So I started getting in my head that it wouldn't be enough for me just to get there. I was going to have to do some big moves to get there. And I think that was my downfall because I got a bit too crafty in trying to do things when maybe I should have just let myself coast a bit more to get there.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, and I think that's always an interesting way when you're looking back in the real world, not just on a reality show. When you look back in the real world and you see all the things that you could have done, they could haunt you. But at the same time you could be right. You could have been right, you could have made it to the final, and then you'd have made no big moves to get there. And I guess that's a really good question for you. And this is on behalf of other players this series. Is it worth just getting there to the end when you haven't done anything.
Speaker 2: That's based on your own value structure about what you think because there are players who have play this game and one that way. It does work sometimes, but it depends who else is there, It depends on the value structure of the jury, and it depends on what you want.
Speaker 4: Like I just am not the kind of player that would ever be okay with that.
Speaker 2: Just for me, it's like a worse outcome is to sit at the end and come second than to have gone out three or four moves before trying to orchestraight away for you to win, like I think I'd rather like I just I see one winner and twenty three losers, So I don't really care where I'm going out. I just want to make myself it's possible to win. So there's no way I'll let myself get to the end when I think it's unlikely that I will win it. So that's why I was so gung ho getting George out because no one else was doing it there enabling him to go far. And I just could see the power he had on like Jerry and Matt and all these other people, and they weren't ever.
Speaker 4: Going to flip.
Speaker 2: And there were only these few moments where you might have enough of it split in the vote to do something because I did not want to sit next to Georgia come second, but unfortunately because a good friend of mine.
Speaker 4: But I'm just going to play my best game to win.
Speaker 1: I was really looking forward to a Queen Versus King finale, but I feel like we actually got that show down last night, and so that was one of the things I was worried about, was, Oh, if it doesn't happen, we're not going to get this big moment. And you know, hands off to the editors because I don't know if that's how it actually went down, but it really was everything that everyone wanted with a King versus Queen drama.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good, good, and I'm happy for that.
Speaker 2: I think the editors are doing incredible job this season, and you know that is true to what was happening from what I understand.
Speaker 4: You know, Nina was a big part of it.
Speaker 2: She had a lot to play, but George does orchestrate all of these moves and tell everyone what to do and how to play their part.
Speaker 4: And everyone goes along with it. So it's great and it's amazing TV.
Speaker 2: I think we're also lucky to have George out there doing this because it's so fun to watch. I just want people to you know, play their own game as well, because as a jury member, now I'm going to be voting for who I think is the best game player, and you know, right now, George is.
Speaker 4: The best game player.
Speaker 3: And it's those eyes.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I've been calling him like the Jungle Book snake because although the Jungle Book Snake's eyes actually move, where George just stares at you with the devil's eyes. But there it must be like a very charismatic, convincing quality to who he is as a person, because as a viewer it comes off quite villainous.
Speaker 4: That's true, And I.
Speaker 2: Think another mistake I had in this game was that I was trying to predict what the jury was thinking and feeling. And I have a different value structure to some of them because I can I get George. I know him so well, like I know that even though he's a villainous and he says kind of nasty things, like I just know where they're coming from from him.
Speaker 4: But not everyone will feel that way.
Speaker 2: And I assumed that his game play would be enough to win, and maybe it will be, but certainly when I got to the jury, and it's in the Juruvula episode that just came out.
Speaker 4: I just thought the jury would all be on Tim George, and they're on Tim Simon. I was like, what, Like I was trying to drag Simon to the end because I thought I would beat him.
Speaker 2: But I'd never sat on a jury before, so I didn't really know the mentality of a jury.
Speaker 4: And you know, when people talk about it, you know a bit of jury. What that means. I think what that means is that the jury value how kind you are and how nice.
Speaker 2: To add to other people, because if you can get to the end, you're proven good enough to get to the end.
Speaker 4: It's the kind of it might come down to, like, hell, well you treat people?
Speaker 1: Did you forget that that's what happened when you won? Did you not go back and watch those Jury Villa episodes that were available online? And for people out there who are not watching those, you are a loser because there is some amazing quality and content in those videos that reveal things. And yes, I think you must have forgotten that a large part of who you were in that season that you won. There's something very kind about you, Hailey. I think that's what it is, even when you did dodgy things there's still something very there's still something kind about you.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think part of my problem was that I became such good friends with George that I no longer could see that evil side to him.
Speaker 3: Blindsided yourself, I did, like.
Speaker 4: My biggest downfall is two friends friends of the George. So I think that I did miss it.
Speaker 2: And when I saw him playing, I didn't think he was playing as Paula's and he was his social games better for sure, but it wasn't very good last time.
Speaker 4: So I think that that it's just challenging. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't see it, and I got caught up in people telling me that, like, as a winner, you assume that if you can just get to the end, that would be enough, and you can say I was against all lords and I got to the end, and I'm a winner. But I don't know if there's like a whole probably thing in Australia. But I was getting told even once I got to the jury Villa, I said, yeah, but what if I got there against like you know, Matt and like miner of us have made lots of moves like what would happen? And they're like, yeah, but Matt hasn't won before, so we'd got to give it to him. You've won before, So it's like, so I couldn't. I felt like I couldn't just get there and have done nothing because I've won before and they don't really want to give them to me, they want to give it to someone new.
Speaker 4: I have to be better somehow. I have to have done more, not just like a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe we could have had Hero's Most Villains like we had in America, and I could have got there with George and he could have been Russell Hans, and maybe.
Speaker 4: I could have won, like Sandra.
Speaker 1: Anything can happen. But you do have to remember that we are in Australia and there is that conversation. For twenty years of reality television, the tall poppy syndrome does exist. And if you go back and look at winners of a lot of shows, they're never the ones that are successful after the show. It's usually the person who came second or third or for regularly one hundredth But you know what I mean, Like there is that sort of thing where Australia does feel like they've given you something and that that it's enough, you know, and when they see a little head pop up again.
Speaker 3: They're like, no, bitch, we have already given you something.
Speaker 2: Totally and like even in America, like the only time a winner has won twice. Beside that, I feel you, Sandra, like, but she had seven years between playing, and everyone kind of forgot about her, like I played a year ago, Like there wasn't enough of a gap for people to kind of like forget about me.
Speaker 1: And let you just coast through time can be really good. You know, I have to ask about your relationship with George since both experiences, because George obviously, you know, lost to you last time, and then he has beaten Nute this time round, and then how has those experiences affected the relationship post game?
Speaker 2: Oh, I would say not all, Like we both understand and love this game and went into it knowing we'd both be there.
Speaker 4: If you could work together, great, If.
Speaker 2: We needed to work against each other, fine, you do what you have to do to get as far as you can. I think at the stage we both aren't very proud, Like I'm stoked how far I got. I'm really proud of myself and George in it, and there's six people left, Like I know he's very happy without his Gorman and he's still in So no, we're great.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm getting married in three weeks and he's going to be there, so it's fine, we're good friends.
Speaker 1: I'm getting married in three weeks and George is the best man, and I'm like, that's a that's a rom com right there. You know, I have a crazy theory that I've been able to basically apply to these chats throughout these exit interviews this year. And my crazy theory for you was, did you kind of subconsciously step out of the way of George to allow yourself to be eliminated because you didn't want George's wrath.
Speaker 4: I don't think they stepped out of his way. I think that he just outplayed me.
Speaker 2: Like him and Nina and Liz really convinced me that they were not getting on and that they believed it was Nina the word for Sean, like I just bought it fully cook.
Speaker 4: Line and sinker because they were It wasn't just what we see like in camp.
Speaker 2: It was like when we're walking back from challenges, it's like every moment they're acting out this thing.
Speaker 3: And yeah, just.
Speaker 1: And then the reaction from so not from Simon, from Sean. You know, I was a little bit nervous because it was very clear to me that Sean really wanted this and you were responsible for that. So, I mean, I've interviewed Sean and I think he's a lovely person, so I'm sure he just was really lovely about it. But were you anxious to be reunited with him? And then what was that interaction?
Speaker 2: Like I was anxious to be renow with Sean because he is a lovely person and the idea of like stepping in the way of someone's dream sucks. But I just always hold the mentality that everyone aims to win, and so everyone plans to vote you out at some point. I don't think it's a compliment to be like I'm going to take you to the end of BEU. It's like that's not better better, Like if you're going to wrote me out second or fifth or twelfth, like he's still going to rote me out. So I never feel guilty voting someone out because we're.
Speaker 4: All trying to do it to each other.
Speaker 3: What did he say to you though, Like when you face to face, he was just confused.
Speaker 4: About why it was.
Speaker 2: I wanted to keep Simon, and for me, it was like a few things like Sean had been telling me since the start, Haley or my shield, and I'm like, kill, that's like a compliment, but like that means that you want to keep me till a point and then cut me.
Speaker 4: I'm like, where like any people that you're going to be doing that very soon? So I didn't feel comfortable that Sean would keep me for very long.
Speaker 2: And I'm like an endurance challenge winner and he's not, So where the pide be again, He's gonna want to get rid of me.
Speaker 4: Also, Sean could.
Speaker 2: Win, Like the fact that he could win means I don't want him there. Like, he has lots of friends on that jury, and he's played really well. He held that Artol for ages.
Speaker 3: Here's the marks the market.
Speaker 2: He's also Mark's best friend, however, so like they he's been trained about how to play.
Speaker 3: Oh good lord.
Speaker 1: And then also you can't really get too upset about he can't get upset about that shield thing, because you know, it felt like he used the meat tray as a shield. He used lots of things that I think he was handing out that shield title to way too many people.
Speaker 4: You know, and like, yeah, good for you. He was playing the best game he could, like he was doing all the things he should have.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I would have rather take my chances at the end next to Simon than I would next to Sean. Sewan would be a suing to win. And one of the things he did wrong though Sean was that he was on the bottom. He wasn't feeling good. He wouldn't have this long conversation with George and then he came back and said, how are you. I feel great. I think this is a really good chat with George and I feel really good now. And I'm like, oh shit, Like that's bad. George's clearly made to deal with you. And when I thought about it, I'm like, George would go far with Sean because George to get to the end, George has two options.
Speaker 4: He has to win the Final Immunity Challenge or someone has to take him.
Speaker 2: And he doesn't have a good track record with final armuned challenges, so he has to be up against someone he can beat.
Speaker 4: I think he can beat Sean at the Final meant Big challenge.
Speaker 1: Unless you're the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz and you don't have a brain, you just wouldn't take George to the final three. I mean, it would just be It's like saying, George, I really would like you to have all of this money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, like Haley, why didn't you go with George to the end. And I'm like, for the same reason, no one else should go George to the end. It's like, okay to say that about someone else that.
Speaker 4: If dig George.
Speaker 1: Though I can't work out who is the biggest surprise though, Like you know, as I was putting myself into bed last night and Hailey's been eliminated and I'm thinking about Simon and George still in there, I was like, how is this happening?
Speaker 3: Like but for you, but for you, what is the biggest surprise? Is it George or is it Simon?
Speaker 4: Sama has been the gift? A gift honestly, he is a gift for all of us.
Speaker 2: He's been. He's a big surprise in some ways. I already know Simon George, so they're plaining how I kind of thought they would. But but Simon his like endless enthusiasm in the face of like constant defeat.
Speaker 4: It's just fun.
Speaker 2: It was, and it was fun to be with him, Like while he's making up all these plans which just like won't work and never.
Speaker 1: Work, and people want him to win though, Like if I don't know if you've been reading the blogs, but like you know, it happens in shows this all the time.
Speaker 3: No one wants someone to win.
Speaker 1: They think that they're silly, they think that they're a villain, or they think blah blah blah. But it happens nearly every show, Like someone likes Simon that all of a sudden you see it differently. And I think that I might be, you know, just talking about the vox pop of my community and what I've seen online. But I would say about seventy to eighty percent of people at this point want Simon to win because there's a small part of all of us has been the underdog. There's a small part of us all that we all think we're stupid and make silly mistakes, but we all would still love to be the person who comes out from underneath that and wins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I think it's a really positive, amazing thing to see someone who is so defeated every time doesn't just like roll over. He just thinks, oh what about it if I from out the riots and maybe I'll just get really strong and they'll get weak.
Speaker 4: He just keeps trying. It's so good, Like, I love it.
Speaker 1: You're such a memorable player as well, and like you know, you're so iconic in so many ways. I can imagine that you know coming back to the series that you would be more accessible to the fan watching the show with people coming up and asking you questions off the street. What was the most common question that fans of Survival were coming up and asking you about.
Speaker 2: It's always about George. They're always like, do you really like George? Are you friends with George? Is George mean?
Speaker 4: Unless they're like twelve and they see me and they're like, why aren't you in Samola right now?
Speaker 1: I love those two differences. Was it exciting to get eliminated and then look as happy? Because I thought you looked so happy. I felt like the mission was complete. You got the full survivor experience finally. Because everyone else that snuffs their torch you can see a small glint in their eye that they're about to turn around and go you're all fucked and like lose their mind. But for you, you literally snuffed your torch and went soil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I wanted to win. I was playing to win everything I could. I was really struggling to see a path where I could win, like if I keep Georgie, and I'm too scared that I'll get to the end with him because no one is, Like I'd had long conversations with people like Jerry, and Jerry's like I will never write George's name down.
Speaker 4: I'm like, dude, at some point, You've got to do that.
Speaker 2: And I was really worried that, like Georgia done such a fabulous Joe brainwashing everyone, but they wouldn't write his name down, And so I was really struggling to see like an end for me that was going to be positive. So yeah, well yeah, like I'm happy to like I'm stoked to get to the jury, Like I've now had the full experience, Like I'm one one Challenges, I've been voted out and done redemption and now I've done the jury, so there's like nothing left in this game that I haven't experienced. And to get to the jury where I did is really nice as well, because there's already people there, but I still have like a bit more time. So if you know you want you want to spend a bit of time on the resort, like eating two breakfasts and lunches every day.
Speaker 3: I like to call it the draam result. You've got the dream result.
Speaker 4: It's so good.
Speaker 1: I have so many questions to ask you, and I just I'm not going to be home tonight, so I've got to take the show and I've got to tape you on the project even though I'm interviewing you now, I'm like, I can't miss Haley on the project tonight. It just goes to prove my fandom and how crazy I am. Who did you think was going to win? When you walked out of there?
Speaker 2: When I walked out of there, I thought Matt, and I think I say this Madriu Dilla. I thought Matt would be playing this game where he's kind of using George as a bit of a shield to take some heat, and I'd had some really good conversations with him that made me think he's kluey and he is going to play and he's just biting his time.
Speaker 4: So that was where my mind was at this stage.
Speaker 1: If Matt steps up and does something at this point, then yeah, I think that people will see his game play quite differently. But it's really hard when you haven't seen the full thing play out, because you don't know whether or not he has just coaxed his way there or sat too far back.
Speaker 3: You don't know any of that.
Speaker 1: But if he all of a sudden shows some really cool survivor elimination tactics, you know people are going to celebrate him. So you know there is a real I mean, I don't know about the same Jerry. Maybe that could be the same for Jerry, if Jerry all of a sudden got up and did some more moves.
Speaker 2: But I think it's a social game, and like you don't see everything, but a bit of few missteps socially from Jerry in the camp that I think not everyone is into. But Matt's a really lovely guy, so just had a baby, hit baby of the way, and so there's if he can step up the moves and get rid of all of the other threads, then I thought he had the social acumen to.
Speaker 4: Be able to take it out.
Speaker 1: I've been asking everyone because I can't ask her behind the scenes secret so I've been asking people these two questions. That's one of them, and who did you think you know it was possibly going to win? The other one was would you ever return? And then I kind of we're running out of time, So like I kind of think for you, A really fun question which I think fans would want to know the answer to, is if they did a Global Survivor and they brought you.
Speaker 3: Back, would you do it?
Speaker 1: And then can you give me two names that of people that you think have to come back direct in Australia, George has to come back and Flick. Okay, so three of you are back again, all my friends.
Speaker 2: I personally I don't know if she'd play again, but I w was s here playing again. I'm a big fan of Peer. I was really trying to channel her this season because she did at the Underrada really well and I just love.
Speaker 4: To see how she would go into Her win has been.
Speaker 2: A while back now and I don't think it was as celebrated as the big move player wins, so I think because of that she would have.
Speaker 4: Some like some rope to play with.
Speaker 1: I spoke to her recently and I asked her and she said, I will never go back. And she said I don't want to go back because she's like, I'll never win again. She's like, you know my game, you know, play was worked out really well, but now people know what her tactic was, it would never work again.
Speaker 3: And she loves it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like then she's not someone who went I did survive her and now I'm an actress and you know where's looking for Aller Brandy too. You know, she really does love the survivor experience and she loves American survivor.
Speaker 4: So if there was a mixed ye well thing, I think she'd do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, between you and I will get her to do it. I just hope it happens, and I hope it happens soon, Like I just just come on, so find.
Speaker 4: A way I don't want it.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 4: I think that would be almost yes.
Speaker 2: I remember hearing David Janet say this, he would only come back for a like a survivor wors Australia's us, and like that would be the kind of thing where if I were.
Speaker 4: The call for that, how do you say no to it?
Speaker 3: Like you never would, you never would, you couldn't.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, like, just don't call me soon. I don't want to call like I want kids, Like I'm busy, leave me alone. Call me in the ages years years away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, great, I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't really care about your real feelings in the sense that you need time to recover.
Speaker 3: I'm like, go you you know, pourn into the War, know that.
Speaker 2: Song because I've played eighty seven days now and I know this place played more. But like the American season now is twenty six days, so that's over three seasons, more than three of those seasons.
Speaker 4: Like that's that's like, no, that's a lot.
Speaker 3: My body hates me ever again every again.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I just want to say thank you so much for your generosity chatting with me today.
Speaker 3: I have been so looking forward to this.
Speaker 1: I hope that there's been some some fun tea spilt in this chat without me sort of fanning all over you. I hope.
Speaker 3: I hope people have enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you so much. It's like such a lovely compliment to have the day after you wrote it out. So thank you, sir.
Speaker 3: I'm obsessed with you.