Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch Up podcast. It is Flex and Frooms on Cada. And I've had one of the coolest experiences in the whole wide world. Long story short, I went to a dinner party with a friend I haven't seen in so long. It was me, my friend, her boyfriend, and her. Is it a coworker when you're both actors?
Speaker 2: I guess so yeah, Pier Pier Peer peer Pier.
Speaker 1: And I brought up Divergent because I really do enjoy young adult dystopian novels because I think they create this really amazing framework for us to see where we're going.
Speaker 2: Why is dystopia so popular for younger doctors.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I don't read it now, But when I was younger, like in high school, it's a lot of what I read was like dystopian novels. And so I was thinking about how I remember I told you that all of digital data are stored in a physical place. Talk to travel long about it, and it's and we were saying that one of two things are going to happen. It's going to become really really expensive to store data. Right now, it's a couple of dollars on iCloud per month, So it's going to be limited to those who are you know, really rich, or those who can afford it, or we're going to get to a point of maximum saturation where you just have to delete the data. And I was like, oh my goodness, we're gonna have another burn the books moment. We're gonna have another burn the books. When like, it's you're the information, babe. You want to save the world, so you are the information. And then together we well, basically I started talking about a book concept that I want to write, and they kept asking me questions about the book and I was ideating with them, and.
Speaker 2: Now I have a manuscript.
Speaker 1: Amazing, So I'm going to be an amazing dystopian fiction author. Babes, I'm cooking, I'm cooking.
Speaker 2: I'm cooking. I'm cooking. I'm cooking and cooking. It's going to change my life. I look forward to it. It's sick. Any updates to me. Nah, I'm chilling. Okay, let's get to it.
Speaker 1: Okta, Flex and Frooms. You're listening to Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 3: What the frick? I'm not sure about you. Flex, But when I'm thinking about the topic of babies. You have sex with somebody, or perhaps you have artificial insemination, and together it's possible.
Speaker 2: To create a baby.
Speaker 3: Okay, correct, This has occurred through time, immorial. I think the first baby was created in a tube, a test tube baby in the nineties in Australia. Thank you to Monash IVF the first and it's kind and since then leaps and bounds have been made when it comes to assisted reproduction. But of course as technology continues to evolve, there's the ability to edit the genes and edit your baby.
Speaker 2: So I subscribe for a newsletter called New World, Same Humans. What are you going about? You just about this break?
Speaker 3: And this guy writes about like new technologies and then gives his two cents every week and it's really great. It's called New Week, Same Humans.
Speaker 2: Substack.
Speaker 3: You can google it and.
Speaker 2: You can google it and sign up.
Speaker 3: He was talking about a peace that was published in the Journal of Science this week, and the study asked respondents if they'd use embryo selection and or gene editing technologies to create children who are smarter and more likely to get into a top ranked college. The respondents were told to imagine that these techniques are free and safe, neither of which is currently true, and a full thirty eight percent said they'd use embryo selection and twenty eight said they use gene editing, Which means that our data suggests that it would be unwise to assume that the use of PGTP, which is gene editing, even for controversial traits, will be limited to idiosync critic individuals, or that it has little potential tocourse or contribute to society wide changes in inequities. In other words, gene editing humans may be just around the corner. So get ready for some seriously weird and terrifying implications.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about this more on the podcast.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you, FLEXI, if you had the ability to edit your child, you would be spawn and make it smarter, cleverer, hotter, insert quality that you want here.
Speaker 2: Would you do it? It's a big question.
Speaker 3: So, despite the fact that it was a real struggle for me to get that last few sentences out.
Speaker 2: First time you read the article, you know I have.
Speaker 3: Busy weeks, I'm busy rollerblading. So do you think that you would edit your baby if you have the chance. Okay, let's start with like the first what do you think of this? Let's sart with the first hear of this? If you wanted your baby no, okay.
Speaker 1: You go, no, you go. I'm doing this thing where I make rooms form her own thoughts.
Speaker 2: That's not true and that's not nice. I'm literally doing it.
Speaker 1: You'll notice every day today, You'll you'll for all of your breaks that it's a question.
Speaker 2: You'd be like what do you think? Flex? Like what do you think for me?
Speaker 3: And then answer a question because I love to hear you speak, because usually just default to what do you think?
Speaker 2: Flex? And then you're like, okay, I agree.
Speaker 3: No, I don't, that's untrue. You are biased. And you also think before made me do that? Fucked would you bother? And then you didn't answer it? So yeah, checkmate, that's how the game goes, respectually. Checkmate. Well, I'm asking you, would you choose a gene editor to baby if you had the option?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Why? Because I don't think it's smart to play god. It never works.
Speaker 1: And I also think that these things with the best intentions, I think evil always prevails, and I think we get to the slippery slope quicker than we think that we're going to It's like we talked before about deep fakes. It's ha ha ha funny until you know you're now implicated. And it's not just Donald Trump being deep faked Robert Pattinson in a funny way, it's you being put in precarious situations, or your voice or your likeness being put in a situation where you can't defend yourself or opt out. I think that, you know, people have talked about how people have spoken for years and years and years how you can have the best intentions with eugenics and like.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, but I'm just gonna give my baby blue eyes.
Speaker 1: Why why I'm just gonna make sure my baby doesn't have any diseases, which ones I'm just gonna be my best baby, the best fighting chance of being you know, intelligent?
Speaker 2: How how you know?
Speaker 1: And now we're gonna quote unquote breed out qualities or we're gonna create homogenized race. And also the people who are gonna have access and the resources and the money to be able to do this does mean the same white people, the same like hectic uh Nazi fucking Ariyan community being like we're just gonna breed more of ours. I was reading about because there's this new philosophy called long termism.
Speaker 2: Let me find the Google place the Google definition.
Speaker 1: So, long termism is the ethical stance which gives priority to improving the long term future. It's an important concept in effective altruism and serves as a primary motivation for efforts that claim to reduce existential risks to humanity. So there's this group of billionaires who've created this elite club of basically encouraging other billionaires and elite to procreate and to commit to giving birth to at least ten children to essentially nurture and create and raise the type of people who be able to save the world. They're kind of like, you can't rely on the common man. We elites need to commit to extending our bloodline and being here and not falling to the trap of not wanting to have kids for whatever reason. It's not about us, it's about the future, etc. So No, I don't want to play god. I just don't think it's good, and I think that a lot of us are, and I would take even me, like, I'm not at the place where I've fully decolonized my mind and what I think and how I feel enough to be parenting let it alone enough to be choosing what I want my kid to look like and be made up of facts.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah, Like it's I just immediately think of like the funny things about it. But of course it's it's like AI, how it has all of these un what funny things like the idea of being like in the sims, like picking what your baby looks like, like I imagine in a funny way. I don't think of it in an actual practical way. But yeah, you're so right about how, like we talked about with AI, it's like a particular type of person that's making it so they're going to have like unconscious bias that bleeds into it, et cetera.
Speaker 2: That's why I, like you.
Speaker 3: Say, even with like us talking to smarter child on MSN and ow like how I'm not very nice to my Siri. I don't actually use Siri because I don't find that it works very effectively. Like the other day I was messaging flex and it put us in a group chat with another random chick that I haven't spoken to in ten years.
Speaker 2: You can't blame.
Speaker 3: That's so funny, Yeah, gene editing, it's shocking to me. I mean, it's not really shocking that it's happening, Like, I guess people are always going to be playing with that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: So which.
Speaker 3: No, I think as well, because I wouldn't say I'm superstitious, but I think if you did that and intervened, well, I've got no issue with. Like, I think it's cool to see technology like this happen, Like if people didn't start going down this route, then they wouldn't be like egg freezing and insemination all that kind of stuff like that. Even that back then I think was considered a bit like is this even like ethical to be making a baby in a lab?
Speaker 2: Per se?
Speaker 3: So I think it's like interisting from a technological point, but it's very dystopian and I can imagine. Yeah, they've obviously been problems with different things being preferential, and it's not really like how humans were designed, right, it's not regular. We'll watch this space. We are every day a step closer to Black Mirror. And once I watch too much Black Mirror in the school holidays that it sent me into a exidential crisis.
Speaker 2: So real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll maybe just pick other things from this newsletter that aren't super scary.
Speaker 1: It's literally going to cost us millions of dollars to have a kid, and I plan to have a spoiled nepotism baby. I just can't afford to also be doing tweaks before it evening exists.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if I like it.
Speaker 3: We'll do tweaks on the ground, post production, tweaks, after care, after care.
Speaker 2: Add on tin. You're listening to Flex and Frooms on Cada.
Speaker 3: You're on Cada. It's Flex and Froomes. We're with you from three to five pm. Welcome back. Something that we talk about on the show, whether I like it.
Speaker 2: Or not, is dating.
Speaker 3: And I have a love line someone who sent in this dilemma to us, and we're going to listen to it and perhaps provide answers that are either illuminating or totally ridiculous. True you decide. This title is Queen of the lead on. I went off for dinner and drinks with the guy for the first time and had a really good night. Normally on the type to chat with them a little more before meeting up straight away, but we had mutuals and he seemed normal enough. That's fair, I guess it. It can the badly, but we'll go with that. Things were going so well, so I invited him back to my place for the night overall good night, so we know the deed was done. Fast forward a week later and I hung out with him again, same good vieb and good time, and he said he had a surprise for me. It was something that I'd mentioned I was going to buy myself but never got around to it. I was shocked and it was really sweet. I've since been looking up gifts online, ah, because it was an antique and it's possible that he spent up to three hundred dollars on them.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I'm touched that he potentially spent quite a fair amount of money on me so early on, and I get the vibe he may not be on the same page as me, although I thought I'd been pretty honest. I'm keen to see where things go, but don't know if I ready to jump into the deep end with anything too serious. Am I overthinking this or do I have to keep stating that I'm a casual girly.
Speaker 1: As stated during our previous hangout.
Speaker 3: We have since messaged her to ask her what it was that the gift would be because I'm thinking this is jewelry, sis, you gotta run for the hills, Okay, but if it's maybe something a little bit more like I think buying jewelry is like bfgfgfgf bfbf status. Apparently it was a set of Lee Lee Crusette, those like beautiful Dutch ovens, and he sounds a lead French Lee Crusette. Continue, Okay, Okay, deer lingo secret sidekiing and it was sentimental with her for her because her grandmother loved to use la croquettes.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you.
Speaker 3: Think that it's too much?
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think that if you've said that you want to keep things casual, if we're going by the law of like what books tell you to do to make it look nothing like I'm either all in or all out if I'm not into you, and then you start doing real sweet stuff like I'm freaking out, I'm feeling trapped, I'm feeling claustrophobic, and it sounds like you're not into this guy, like you're looking for something casual, which you've been very clear about, and he's taken that as a sign of need to win this chickover. I would say, take the la crusette. Okay, they're expensive and you've got something. Once a guy gave me a Shane Warn cricket ball whoa and I am a big Shane Warn fan. So it was a really beautiful moment. But of course, like if you break up with the person, what do you do with it? Does it have to do you have to keep it? Do you have to change the story up? I say, just accept.
Speaker 2: It for what it is.
Speaker 3: I know that gifts do not equate to ownership.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm likely to agree. I have been thinking recently that a lot of us don't allow ourselves to enjoy the benefits of romance for fear of it coming across as wanting more. So it's like you're only in now. You're only allowed to be really intimate with a person and buy gifts and be romantic if you're going to date, and I just feel like you're going to date more people than you You're going to casually see more people than you end up partnering with, And so why can't you enjoy the experience of extreme intimacy without the title like your gift, make it fun, take the gift, enjoy. I don't say you have to keep emphasizing you've already done more than en half, which is, you know, set your intentions early on. But I think if you start getting uncomfortable with it because you feel as that this person's not respecting your boundaries, then obviously be like, hey, babe, back.
Speaker 2: Off, happen. Something's gonna happen. Yes, something's gonna give. This is flex and firms on Kata.
Speaker 1: Has technology gone too far? Some might say it's not gone far enough, considering that back in my day when we were talking about the future, we expected keyless entry. Why do we have keys in twenty twenty three? Why isn't everything I need my doors to be pushed to start and good pook open?
Speaker 3: Where are the flying cubs?
Speaker 1: But even then, like I just feel like there's not a lot of cyber anything. The fact that I don't know what don't know what my vitals are by just like scanning the chip in my wrist, it feels our cake. Why do you want us to be caven so badly? But in good news? Because we are making progress in the death industry when it comes to so thank you for stepping up, you know, the overlords of the funeral environmental anyway, the digital anyway. According to Body and Soul, the digital eulogy era is here thanks to tombstone QR codes. Did a gen z write that headline? Someone over the age of forty did not pen that one, and I appreciate that they've said. A new way to learn about your ancestors could become commonplace. Thanks to the merging of technology and grave sites, gravesite QR codes are officially becoming a way to pay tribute and share the stories of a person's incredible life beyond the grave. This idea came to be by this US based engineer and inventor, Michael bork bourk b o u r Que, who decided to make a QR code for his late father's headstone as a way to honor his dad's incredible life with others who may be passing by the grave. So he was like, there's so much to know about my dad. He lives such a rich life, and nobody knows that aside from me and the people who lived with him. I want to do this small thing so people can honor him in the way that he deserves.
Speaker 2: To be honest.
Speaker 1: So, if you scan the QR code on Michael's dad's grave, it'll link to a website that goes through his life bio, the fact that he lived through the Great Depression, and he served in the Korean War and he worked on nuclear testing sites in the Cold War. Like, okay, that's CVCV, my Kay's king and so it's just a modern take on keeping the memories alive for loved one. Sounds great in theory. In practice, I'm a bit confused. If something happened to you through me untimely of course, and someone's gonna make a digital gravestone, I'm very concerned about what they would gather and put front and center, because even though you're not living a double life, I'm pretty sure like you're gonna want a few professional accolades, not you doing like Shrek cosplay and talking about ghosting on CATA. It's like, could we nominate and is this something that you need to like self curate before you die, because I don't know were like the main image updating that.
Speaker 3: So my current Instagram picture is weak of me with a Karen haircut, and honestly, people say that it looks like Balahad did, so that's why I've kept it there. I have like a lot of future proof things that I've done, like on Facebook, my best friend like gets it if I die in an untimely manner. Also, digital wheels are happening, and my mum just added me to her will.
Speaker 1: Damn your mom's text savvy.
Speaker 3: Literally, and I just thought, I don't know how she did that.
Speaker 2: So what it did?
Speaker 3: I got this email saying you've just been added to Xyza. You don't have to do anything with this, but this is the email that's on file, And I'm like, that's crazy, Like we're really making this stuff digital, which feels so antithetical to what death is.
Speaker 1: I can't access that email account.
Speaker 3: Literally, what if my internet's down? But yeah, it's good to know that we're making how do you say? We're making waves in the death industry, which is very important?
Speaker 1: Okita flex and fromes flex and froms. Everybody thinks they have the capacity to participate in hypergamy. That is the act of dating or marrying up, marrying rich, marrying successful, capitalistic. And here's the thing. I'm not gonna say you don't, but I will say, have you ever seen a prenup of a billionaire? Have you ever seen what's required? Because I managed to get my hands on. Mark Zuckerberg's through a friend with a friend, and I want you to listen to this and tell me if you have the capacity. This is a TikTok from Hello, prenup.
Speaker 4: What does someone like Mark Zuckerberg put in their prenup? Well, from what we've heard, he's got some pretty interesting clauses, like the alleged clause that mandates the two of them spend of one hundred hours of a long time per.
Speaker 2: Week outside of the office.
Speaker 4: But outside of those more quirkier terms, what are the financial terms we think he has in the prenup. Well, to no one's surprised, it's likely that he's kept his interest in Facebook separate, and the majority of Facebook assets are said to be in intellectual property. This includes designs, this processes, algorithms, and more. So we believe it's highly highly likely that he's included a clause to protect his intellectual property to ensure that it's stays separate in the event of a divorce.
Speaker 2: He really said hands off my pokes, sis.
Speaker 1: Said, I want quality time.
Speaker 2: That's my level.
Speaker 1: One hundred hours that's more than a full time job, and it's contractual that we do two and a half full time jobs of quality time together a week. You don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: How does he get the time?
Speaker 1: Well, this is the thing. He's kind of like you. It's the clause that you have to spend time with him so he can be doing what he needs to be doing. You just need to be present at all times accessible.
Speaker 2: That can't be real. Why not you see the source?
Speaker 1: Hello, Prina. On a competitive side, I've cited my sources. Okay, it's a lot like I feel like even if let's say that was the only clause. If you want access to this wealth, if you want access to any IP that's not Facebook and meta related, if you want to share your life with me, clock on to full time jobs.
Speaker 2: What's one hundred divided by seven seventy? No, fourteen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirteen ish. So every waking moment you're going to be spending with your king.
Speaker 2: I mean, the billions are billioning it all.
Speaker 3: I'll say, if you're with someone in Hawaii, doesn't really matter who the person is, Just like, dissociate and enjoy the fartestar accommodation and the nobrew dinners.
Speaker 1: Get room clover, what's the big deal anyway?
Speaker 2: Look your stuff in the bathrooms. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 3: For more, tune Indicater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.