Speaker 1: Here at Two Good Sports, we would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we record this podcast. There were Injurie people, this land was never seated, always was, always will be Jah Dolla sport, tell me we love sport. That is something that you have said to me NonStop over our entire lives. But this morning it's different.
Speaker 2: This morning it hit differently. Welcome to Two Good Sports, Green and Gold edition, your unofficial games podcast. And it physically pained us to not have episodes over the weekend. We were going to just come in here and press record ourselves because it was the most unbelievable hour of power that we thought that we'd see in sport that happened over the weekend. But then Georgie me minutes ago we witnessed one of the greatest Games finals of all times in the men's one hundred meter final, and my god, Noah Lyles, after all the build up after the sprint docco, he did it, and we have a new hero in world track.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, we will get to Noah. But first of all, dear listener, we will just have a little bit of a summary about exactly what you have missed since the last time we chatted, because if we look at the medal tally in real time, Australia sits in number four silver. We're still number four twelve golds overall. Sorry I should say that again, twelve everyone you're listening. I didn't want to rush through that. Twelve golds, eleven silvers, eight bronzes, thirty one medals since we last spoke four golds, five silvers.
Speaker 2: Four bronze and Australia having twelve golds after day eight of competition it's now day nine, but after day eight is the best that we've ever done at a Games. So we had eleven in Athens yea, and we had ten in Sydney. So the pantos So if you feel like Ossie's are flying, it's because we are. Oh yeah, we absolutely are. And we have made Australian track and field history. So we will be getting to that later, but for now, Noah last.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's go back. Let's go back to where we started because Noah Lyles now, two good sports listeners who listen every single week will know that we have had a kind of recent obsession with this man after the Sprint documentary series on Netflix, and I tell you what didn't he live up to the hype, jommy, one of the greatest events you called it, that we have ever seen.
Speaker 2: When his welcome was a fifty meter run. Yes, the life. He ran out to the crowd and put his arms up and honestly was halfway down the track that he was about to compete on. I went, has any athlete in history talked the talk before they walked the run? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: And just to give for those who haven't seen it, please go back and have the better ten seconds of your life, because how close this was is they were separated. He and Kashane Thompson were separated by five thousandth of a second one to eight In the men's one hundred meter final, who all ran under ten seconds, were separated by point one two of a second.
Speaker 1: It was the greatest men's one hundred meter final I think that I've ever seen. And I'm including some of you sain Bolts totally races in that because those weren't close. I love them for completely different reasons because I got to see bolt just absolutely leg it. But this was one where we did not know who had won. The athletes didn't know who had won for so long.
Speaker 2: Afterwards, fare a thought for the director who put a close up on Thompson. Yeah, so someone in real time has thought the Jamaicans got him here quick put a close up on him.
Speaker 1: But he else had thought who he'd won it? Noah Lyles himself, Yes, he said. He went up to him and he was basically being like, congratulations, I think you've got me. I think you've done it. And then you just see the complete switch where he sees that his name is above Thompson's and he goes.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought he had it.
Speaker 1: I'm amazing.
Speaker 2: And also Thompson who came out and basically his warm up was to act like the Hulk. Oh yeah. And that is why there are some moments Steorgy that just make you think, I love sport and you can get way down sometimes with some of the stories that we have to cover and we'll do an episode after the games because it's too nuanced to talk about it now. But what we're seeing in women's boxing and just some of the storylines where you feel like there are no winners in this race. It just let you, as the spectator, sit there in complete anticipation and watch these people do the unthinkable and know that it was a culmination of their life work and see a dream come true and there is nothing nothing more magical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that what makes Noah Lyle so special is that you and I care about him so much. And he's not a story.
Speaker 2: He's American. We're wired to feel otherwise.
Speaker 1: And we're like hoping that he wins above all, hope. I was so nervous. I was so anxious in the lead up to that race. They also held them on the start for a million years.
Speaker 2: Before million years, we need to find out how many times nine point seven eighty four goes into how long they had to wait on the blocks.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it was such a great race. Everyone spare yourself the nine point seven eight four seconds because what a time to be alive. And jelmy, I want to stay with.
Speaker 2: The track because just before this event, Yeah, just before.
Speaker 1: This event, we achieved something very very rare for Australia, for Team Australia, and that was two medals in the one event.
Speaker 2: What so it's the first time since nineteen sixty eight that Australia won two medals in the same track and field event. I get if we count the way the Americans do. We technically won the Hydro, We won the Hygi and that was thanks to Nikola Olislagger's who you remember won silver in Tokyo. So she backed it up back to back silver, which is incredible. And Eleanor Patterson, who I feel like sometimes is lost in the wash with how great Nikola is, but she is a star in her own right, and she died for bronze with the Ukrainian. It was very Australia Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yes, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Ukrainians very good at high jump, but also us two turns.
Speaker 2: Out it is so Nikola's peeb is two point zero three meters and so the jump that eventually won gold was two point zero two. So Nicola did clear out two meters. And dear listener, if you're talking about these sort of numbers at home, I find your tape measure, get two meters out and mark it on something in your house, and then imagine running and jumping over it, because it is unbelievable what they achieve. And Nicola, you remember, is the lovely, very spiritual girl that writes in her diary after every jump, and what you see is what you get. I swear if you break her open, there's butterflies and rainbows. She is just such a wonderfully sweet, positive person. She's been with the same coach since she was twelve. She's so consistently performed on this stage, and to see her so thrilled with back to back silver in track and field for Australia just doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: I would say that I think that our track team has out achieved anything we've ever really imagined in the athletics. Yes, for a long time, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I think it's I have to correct you only because field athletes get very.
Speaker 1: Angry i'm referred to.
Speaker 2: But it is a thing because I think track, as we've talked about today, is the glamour events. Yes, and all of Australia, all of Australian field, is going high there. Yeah, hey, guys, you want a metal chance holding up the team, get on our back. We are already carrying the shot put. Why don't we just carry you as well? Because it is going to be amazing and we still have so many track athletes, see I'm doing it as well. We still have so many field athletes left that have good chances. But I think that it was amazing to see that in the high jump, and again just wonderful athletes. It's wonderful competitors. And we do need to mention a quick note to the women's eight hundred meters with Abby Caldwell and Claudia Hollingsworth. Remember the name because she is only nineteen and they both had valiant efforts in their debut, bowing out in the semi final. But to reach a semifinal at nineteen years of age, yeah, watch.
Speaker 1: Out la very. Oh yes, I think that that is one to watch. Jell me just to quick check in welfare check how you doing, because athletics is your thing. How you feeling? How's our hearts?
Speaker 2: I physically leapt off the couch this morning, which is very difficult to do twenty four weeks pregnant, like I genuinely think I strained something. Watching the men's one hundred meters it is it lights me up, and it's every now and then you have moments where you realize I can't believe I get to talk about sport for a living and I somehow pulled this off. I would be talking to anyone who would listen today the way that you and I have spoken off the top and it is just a joy to watch and be a part of. But it is very if the welfare check is am I able to do anything else in life over the next week.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely not absolutely solutely. You're gonna say, people say hi, and you'll be like, did you see Noah?
Speaker 2: Please just don't don't look at me, don't talk to me. So that is the track and field events overnight. But again in swimming, we've wrapped up swimming. We almost almost beat the US in the traditional way of counting gold. We were one one less. But amazing to see Meg Harris in the fifty meter freestyle just pull out all the stops of PB to win silver, silver.
Speaker 1: And I have to say, I feel like, dear listener, if you're gonna watch anything back after Nola I was winning the one hundred meters, then watch this race. Because Meg Harris's reaction to that silver medal, you'd think she'd won fourteen golds like it was just pure joy. It was shock. She couldn't believe it. She was in one of the outside lanes, she was not in the middle. Sarah shows from one once again, the incredible sprinter from.
Speaker 2: She has been swimming for four hundred years.
Speaker 1: Four thousand years. Yeah, it's actually really a personal attack when you find out she's actually only thirty, so younger than both of us.
Speaker 2: And I was like, she's been.
Speaker 1: Swimming since I was a child.
Speaker 2: Does she need age to help her swim at fifty? Oh, she's thirty. Cool, thank you. It's wild.
Speaker 1: But Meg Harris, you may remember we have mentioned her already on our Green and Gold edition of this podcast because she won the gold in the four by one hundred meter freestyle relay on like day one or two of the games, right, and Jelmy was made the very stude observation that she has a hearing disability.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so she'd.
Speaker 1: Had to teach herself about how to know when to go in the realize, and the same thing counts. When she's on the block. She will often go on go, so it's like set, go, and then average athletes will just go somewhere in between the set and the go, they'll already start to get the best advantage. But not for Meg. She has to wait till the go and she's still finished second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she said, basically, growing up, they had the hearing test at school where they said, press the button when you hear something, and they took the headphones off her and she said, oh, are we going to start and they said, oh, it's over. And that's how she discovered that she needed hearing aids, and she said it's been so helpful for her. But it was actually Kate Campbell going, you've got someone who is actually legally death and they think that it was nerveat damage that happened when she was a child. And yet, as you said, taught herself, yeah to hear the starters. And she's like, well, gratefully, everyone goes quiet, yes, And she's also said that, well, the good thing is after a race, journalists tend to ask one of three questions. So I kind of watched their lips and try to guess which of the three standard questions they've asked me. And sometimes I really stuff up because in those loud stadium environments she can't hear.
Speaker 1: I also think this was extra special because it was an individual medal totally, and she's been such a great team player. She's been on so many relays in the heats, she's been a heat swimmer, but this is hers out right, and I think that that just hits a bit differently too. We want another silver. Jemmy in the pool to wrap the women's four by one hundred meter medley relay, little known names, Molly O'Callahan, Kaylee McEwen in the water again, Emma McKean.
Speaker 2: And they jumped in with their full tracksuits on, which you love to see because their swimmers they hold their emotions so close to their chest the whole way through. We saw that with Arnie and it was actually after her final individual race that she let it out and went, oh, I feel like I can talk about the gold that I won on day one now and we're on day eight of competition, because I haven't allowed myself to feel anything. But can I just say, speaking of Arnie Molly O'Callahan with the clutch, we were nowhere near silver when she got in for the final leg of the women's four by one hundred meter medley, and that freestyle leg was unbelievable to watch. I implore you to go back because again it was another silver that felt like a gold because America they were running their own range.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they were the only ones in the pool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: To be honest, did you have a moment of just dying. I almost died when they jumped into the pool. I know that they were alive, but I remember that time when we jumped in the pool and then all hell broke loose because it was like, are you just qualified now? Like I can't, I'm the wounds are still rang, like I know, you're fully clothed, and you're no longer in the competition and everyone's out of the pool and it's been a few minutes.
Speaker 2: But part of me goes, just find another way to celebrate. It doesn't hurt my heart, but we do need to mention. So that is the last that we'll see it of Emma McKean at this level of competition, and again just another medal for her to add to her tally. She has been a champion for so long and she'll be the first to admit these are not the games that she envisaged. She had a lot of challenges in the last couple of years physically to get herself up, but what a service she's provided.
Speaker 1: She finishes her game's career with fourteen medals to her name, almost decorated athlete at this level like it, it's incredible what her legacy will be and I'm so excited that I think it's quite a nice passing of the baton see rele pun to Molly O'Callahan. What a way for her to finish in a race that has the future?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean? Totally?
Speaker 1: It was very special.
Speaker 2: They are the events that happened overnight, but we must mention what's happened over the weekend, So we're going to do that next.
Speaker 1: Tell me you know that I like to daydream some things, and sometimes I make outlandish statements like sat Kilda will finish in the top four. Other times we are pi kick. We are freaking psychic, and I am going to use the hour of power that we witnessed over the weekend to prove it, because you and I in the lead up to our Green and Gold edition, recorded a few episodes about athletes to watch, swimmers to watch, etcetera, etcetera, among them Cameron McAvoy, Kaylee McEwen and Saya Sakakibara on the BMX track and what did they do over the weekend?
Speaker 2: My god, it aged well like French cheese, if you will, aged well while I went for cheese rather than champagne. No one will ever know However, let's circle back, because it was arguably one of the better seventy seven minutes of Australian sport you will ever witness. And I am so cool. I am so grateful for pregnancy insomnia because I didn't set my alarm, but I just happened to be up and I was like, oh, I'll just watch this. Can the man Macavoy winning the fifty meter freestyle After all that he's been through, After the fact that he said he's cut his training by ninety percent, the fact that this is his fourth Games and he is finally a top the podium, it was the most ridiculous thing to watch. And all I could think of was he's one of Georgie's yea of the one of Georgie, He's one of mine.
Speaker 1: I have followed him his entire career. I've said on this podcast how much I love him. I've also said how he only usually performs on a national level, maybe a world championships, he never performs at the Games.
Speaker 2: Well well, well, well, well, wellastenis he reckons?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the galithens And honestly, he said that he's going to drop his program about exactly what he's been doing. Because he got the biggest advertisement for it, which is a gold medal and event that we have never ever ever meddled.
Speaker 2: He was so clever in every post race interview, just saying, you know, I just think I've re revolutionized training and swimming. I love him, so I just can't wait for everyone to share my program. And I'm like, just drop your app, just drop your axe, and he's going to break the world. But the other thing about Cam and I know that you'll love this because he's so wide like us, is the first time that he saw the race back and we're talking about fifty meters.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's twenty one seconds.
Speaker 2: He's sitting on the desk in the commentary and they're like, we're gonna watch it back, and they watched it and he goes, oh, the touch wasn't great.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, I knew he'd be unhappy with that.
Speaker 2: Hehi in real time.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my god, he's gliding.
Speaker 2: He's gliding. Also, you just won Games gold and you're like, oh, I could have lifted on that. I'm better than that, but he is. He's just it was spectacular. And then so that was the first time that we've ever won a medal in the fifty meter men's freestyle, and we just start by doing it in gold. But if we're going to talk about game's history, yeah, what was achieved by a little lady called Kaylee McEwen.
Speaker 1: She defended her title in the two hundred meter backstroke, so that means that she won the double and she backed up the double double. So in her career she won the one hundred meters and the two hundred back in Tokyo. She's backed that up with thee hundred meters and two hundred meter golds in Paris. Her fourth career individual gold medal goes to Kaylee McEwen. She was also as she loves to do. We've talked about it already in the Green and Gold edition. She did give up a little bit of a lead, but I would say that she won comfortably in the end against her all time rivals, Like it was such a wonderful, wonderful performance and I didn't have to stress too much, which was the best.
Speaker 2: She's now edited her caption that she put online about this, but initially it said on days Evan, I hit a small milestone in my career becoming the first woman to ever win the one hundred and two hundred meters backstroke and no comments lit up being like, oh the old game's history, is it? Kaylee? Like that's so her to just play it down so much.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, she is the coolest of cucumbers until you get a celebrating and I love it. And then she went back into the pool and won bronze, but in an interesting way. I know there was a just qualification, but accounts bronze in the two hundred meter im, which was something that she was just trying out, just trying out, but jelmy, you gave me the start that then I think in every single event that she's ever raced at a game.
Speaker 2: She's medal. He's made what and it genuinely we talk about Arnie a lot. Of course we talk about Emma, but Kaylee needs to be in the conversation. Yes, of our best swimmers of all time. So you're talking your dorm phrases, your Shane Goulds, you're Ian Thorpe's. She is in that phrasing. Yeah, for what she has achieved, and perhaps because of her nature, because she is so joking and fun and young, you forget just the severity of the athlete that she is.
Speaker 1: I also think though, it's even just the stroke itself. Yes, like backstroke's not a sexy stroke, and I can say that I was a former backstroker, so it's just not one. It's not the free it doesn't get it doesn't get the glory of that. However, her glory can nothing can be taken away from it because she is one of our goats, I have to say.
Speaker 2: Speaking of goats, and I'm so glad that I just kept talking about her leading into these games, being like, I know no one cares about BMX racing, but say, as the Khaki Bara and her story and the journey of her family with her brother, Kai is going to be one of the prevailing narratives of the games if she can perform to reflect her number one world ranking the way that we know that she can. And she actually stammered at the World Championship, so she wasn't the world champ so she said, well, I'm gonna have to win. So coming into these Games, she had so much pressure on herself to be able to do what she knew that she could. It was the most comfortable heats watch of all time. And then the final itself she started from the inside lane, and it looked like she was in a league of her own.
Speaker 1: She was so fast, like so fast again. I didn't have to feel too nervous before this, before this race, because I knew what she had done. I'd had your messages sending me all these texts being like, oh, I'm losing it, Sia. Sire is looking good, Sia is looking comfortable, so I's not even trying. I think Sia's gonna win. Sire's new week really was she has not lost away race.
Speaker 2: It was just watching the emotion wash over her. Oh I can't her brother Kai in the stands who again, I'm sure that you've all seen this story, but the fact that he was in a coma for six weeks and suffered a traumatic brain injury, and she was there through all of it, and he suffered that doing BMX racing, which Sire only got into because she was following Kai around the way that sisters do. And for her to stand up there and say I've been able to do this for him, and to also drop three of the better f bombs that you'll ever see in an interview where she was like, let's just I knew, I just had to effing go and then I effing.
Speaker 1: Went and it was just the most effort and I.
Speaker 2: Just thought, and you could see the emotion in that interview slowly hit her with the gravity of what she'd done.
Speaker 1: It was beautiful though. And I think that if you watch that race, you watch the celebrations at the end, if you don't cry or at least tear up, you don't have a heart, like I'm sorry, you must be a sociopath. Like it doesn't it doesn't register for me how that's even possible. For me. It was the squeal. So as soon as she crosses the line, she just has this unbridled it's completely involuntary and she just starts screaming and it's like she just cannot believe.
Speaker 2: That was very accurate. And do you want the best part is is that she said I screamed like a little girl. And I was like, no, you won gold like a girl. Yes, because it's our girls that are holding us up. You won gold like an Australian female at the moment, because they are the ones that are just absolutely dominated.
Speaker 1: And this point we still only had one gold from a man, yes, and that was Cam Macavoyd, which had happened in the same hour. Yes, previously we had an out of anything.
Speaker 2: It was again, it's just one of those stories that reminds you of the power of sport and the fact that we're going to glaze over the next thing I'm about to say really upsets me, but we don't have time. Arnie Tipmus winning silver in the women's eight hundred meters and the way that she took it up to Katie Ledecki, who has done the unthinkable to be the Games champion back to back to back to back. So she has been the best in the world the DECKI for twelve years.
Speaker 1: Isn't that just mental? I mean, but Arnie was right there. Arnie was right there, and she also swam I think it was her fastest time.
Speaker 2: It was an Oceania record. Yeah, So on day eight of being absolutely buggered in her words.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was going going for it, pushing Leadecki the goat really of females, something that we've ever seen right to the death. And also Arnie did point out, jelmy, what you've done when she had started, she had been watching Katie Leadecki win this race since Arnie was eleven, that's how long Katie has dominated.
Speaker 2: That she just kept with her. It was honestly one of the more gutsy swims I've seen of the Games, and it was a silver to me, that felt like gold, and I just fell more in love with Annie if that was possible, I know, just because of the effort and what she dug deep to find.
Speaker 1: I find that the photo at the end of that race, when it's Arnie and Katie both holding hands, lifting their hands the lmanship, that's what but that's girlhood. Just put that on billboards, That's what that is.
Speaker 2: And again we're just going to rattle through the rest of the weekend results. Our mate Gray Morris, who won silver in the windsurfing after knowing that he was going to secure bronze at the very least, there was some weather delays which Georgia he was in gold medal position that if the weather was too bad that they never got out there again. In the windsurfing, you would have won gold. But in your classic Aussie style is at twenty year old, He's like, I wanted to get out there and actually have a crack, and they did, and he eventually did.
Speaker 1: And I think that this is the longest event Gelemy and I've learned things, dear listener over the course of our Green and Gold podcast. Maybe the longest event in the history of the world. The same the windsurfing, so many days of competition. But Gray Morris, just I mean he's won a grave sorts, hasn't he?
Speaker 2: He had very very good So it was our first medal in the windsurfing since ninety two. He had to raise ten thousand dollars himself to get to Paris due to being the first Aussie mail to compete in the Games since two thousand and four. And he just seems to be this one wonderful character. Again only twenty and we know sailors can sail for a very long time. Yeah, so hopefully we look forward to seeing him in la But just one of those amazing, amazing characters.
Speaker 1: And tell me there was another gold of course over the weekend from Team Australia, and it came from a team, our tennis team, our duo Matt Ebden John Piers won gold against Team USA, which also, as we always know, just means that little bit more at the Games, you know, it really does. They won in three sets, so they did it the hard way. Take a look at this actual scorecard, six seven seven six seven six.
Speaker 2: Bomb vomit, bomb vommit.
Speaker 1: But they held their nerve to pull off something that we have not seen since nineteen ninety six, since.
Speaker 2: The Woodies what the Woodies. And the one thing well I light here is Matt Ebden and his story arc at the Games, because you will remember that he got subbed in when the Demon was like, oh you know what, I'm actually too injured tingles in the single, So yeah, we've got a spot here for I was and he's like, I'll have a crack. Whom I against in the first round, Novak Djokovic And to say that he got the floor wiped the Serbian just what he's got clay still on his nose from what was an absolute demoralization. And at one point Matt Ebden went to the crowd and gave his racket to a child and said, you want to have a go, you want to try here? But then in the beauty of the Games, and he has said in an interview since how it started versus how it's going, I've never wanted to be on a court less than when I was getting absolutely smashed by the Joker. And yet within a week in the same stadium. I'm now an Olympic gold medalist and the two of them, they're warriors. They're not those glamour tennis players that you see.
Speaker 1: They've been on the circuit for very most of their lives, you know, their mid thirties. They've got families being there with the kids, celebrations with them on the court at Roland Garros, I thought was so special again. Put that on billboards, like them throwing their kids up in the air. John Pierce's daughter Ellie in the stands at gold medal point and she had her fingers crossed. I was just and didn't let it go until they actually secured the gold medal. They had four gold medal points. Can I just say so, they're just actually testing us now. They were having a laugh, but she had those little fingers in the cross, just waiting for her dad to be like, yeah, we want it.
Speaker 2: And she had to get permissioned to not be at school.
Speaker 1: I know, like it's honestly, honestly, it's such a glorious story. But staying on those clay courts, gellmy this morning, I know it's not green and gold, but Novak Djokovic did pull off a singles win against Carlos al Karaz seven six, seven six, and that makes him the oldest gold medalist for men's tennis at thirty seven years of age. And also he has called it the highlight of his career. He said it's one of the things that it's one of the achievements that has meant the most to him, which over the course of Novak Djokovic's career, that is saying.
Speaker 2: He's finally over his recollected what they call the Golden Slam, Yes, the which I think they're meant to do it in one calendar year for it to technically be a Golden Slam, but it was the one thing that had been elusive to him, and he got up there and said how much are meant to Serbia? And he was taking on kyls Hakaraz, who they just faced off at Wimbledon, so I'm sure that they just keep looking at each other being like hello you in the passing of the torch and this time it did fall to Novak and again his kids were in the stands. It was one of those things where when you see someone who's been a champion so often, especially on the ATV tour, but then you see how different a gold medal means and how proud he was to be bringing that home for Serbia. It has to be one of the moments of.
Speaker 1: The Games for someone who has won literally everything in there to have that be the one thing that you can't get a personality like joker. I believe hi when you say it means more than anything else.
Speaker 2: Totally our favorite two words that were allowed to say only when they actually are guaranteed. Now we have guaranteed medals coming up in the boxing, so thanks to Kitlin Parker and Charlie Senior, we are going to get both a men's and a women's at least bronze. Huge in the boxing, so if you're not aware of the boxing by the time they get to the semi final bouts they both get silver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's confusing, It is confusing, but it will talk more about it when they actually secure their.
Speaker 2: Great stories, particularly for Kate and Parker, that'll be the first time that Australia has ever won a women's boxing medal at a game. It's huge, so credible. We will elaborate once we know where on the podium they sit. But the fact that we have guaranteed medals. Make sure that you watch their bouts as they are coming up. But we're going to rattle through some other Aussie team results the opals.
Speaker 1: There they won. They defeated France. Huge, huge, This was a must win game. They won. They are into the next round and that was due or die, so that is huge for them. Unfortunately, the Kooka bars.
Speaker 2: I said, I had feels about our hockey and our success and it was exactly at that moment that they went to nil down in the quarterfinals to the Netherlands.
Speaker 1: The AFP once again is waiting our time. Yeah, they are coming for me.
Speaker 2: Are going to push onto the water polo because the sting is one another penalty shootout. They love to do it dramatically, this time over world number two Hungry to go top of their group, undefeated and to book a spot into the quarterfinals. The Sharks our men's side, after beating Serbia, who are the two time defending champions I never don't mind, have then gone on to beat Hungary, who are the most decorated in games history. In the water polo. We can't overstate how well the water polo is going. I'm not going to say that I smell of gold in the water, don't. I'm not.
Speaker 1: I didn't say it.
Speaker 2: I didn't say it, So it's not happening. But we are do what is happening after. We're going to tell you what's coming up after the break.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, jell me. I mean, we may as well just stay awake, like I don't think there's any point in us sleeping maybe ever again, because how could we when there's so much action to watch.
Speaker 2: I'll sleep when I'm dead, surrounded by the gold that Australia may or may not win in track and field, because we do have a stacked calendar coming up, and we're only going to preview what's happening in the next twenty four hours. But Curtis Marshall in the men's pole vault again, I feel without Nina Kennedy, our Nikola Olislager's we haven't really been focusing on Curtis. But he is a dual Comwalth Games gold medalist. We know that he's had an injured ankle coming into these meets, And why don't we say injured like broken?
Speaker 1: We mean he's pole vaulting with a broken out like a like such an awful awful injury. I'm pretty sure he had necrosis with that ankle injury, and that it's all I know is that necro means something to do with dead so dead skin and that's not good.
Speaker 2: But he is in action at three am tomorrow, So get around that. Tory lewis in the reperchide round of the two hundred meters and I will say she recorded a PB and still didn't make it through her heat. That is just how competitive track and field is. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And tell me me, I would like you to explain to me and the listeners what repor charge means, because I've been hearing it's thrown around on the coverage a lot, and I got no Ouda out.
Speaker 2: So it is the inaugural Games where they've brought in the reper charge for track and field. It only happens in the hurdles, the two hundred, four hundred, eight hundred and fifteen hundred and Georgie. You'll remember previously at Games you would have automatic qualification for the best performers in each heat, yes, or where you finish where you finish, and then they would sort of wait, could there be left over spots to decide those places on times, so you'd have to be the best placed third person across a lot of heats and rights to progress, whereas now they have automatic qualification for so many maybe the first two, and it is different for all of these events. And then they have another race called the reper charge, which essentially is giving all athletes a second chance. So if you finish last in your heat doesn't matter, you still have a chance at the reper charge. Again, it's the first time that it's been brought in. It's been a little bit controversial because then and we saw this with the women's eight hundred meters, in order to go through into the semifinals with the reper charge, you needed to win your heat, which naturally there's going to be stronger some of the heats are going to have stronger fields. So is that fair? I personally like it because the other thing is a sudden death. I like it because it just adds more more races.
Speaker 1: Well, it adds more races, but also imagine if you somehow ended up on the podium after having to fight your way through the reper charge, Like what a story.
Speaker 2: You're doing it the hard way, and that's the love it That's the other thing too, is they're saying it's motivating athletes to want to just get through in their heat, especially if you're looking at something like a fifteen hundred meters. It means that you don't have to race again. So there is an advantage for those athletes that do well in their.
Speaker 1: Head, they want to have fast heats, not cruising on you, not just going oh yeah, I'm just not the older over one hundred meters, just looking down the line, which blows my mind.
Speaker 2: Noah allows no Las have to mention him again. We are talking about a fox in the canoe slalam, but this time it's not our girl Jess, because it's got through no waymy.
Speaker 1: She has a chance to meddle in the kayak cross, or as I call it, the extreme kayak.
Speaker 2: I would I cannot begin to tell you how much I would capsize if someone dropped me from that height in a boat into the water. I've just watched the start, Just.
Speaker 1: Watch the start. But then what I've learned is they go underwater, they submerge themselves and do like a full three sixty.
Speaker 2: And it's a contact sport. They whack each other, they hit each other. It's their paddles extreme. But the quarterfinals are going to be happenying just before midnight than the semifinals at quarter past and then at one am the final. But if we do see another Fox on the podium, what what done?
Speaker 1: That's incredible, That's insane. If that happens. Also tomorrow the surfing gelmy three thirty six am. I know that it's early, but that's already up watching.
Speaker 2: You haven't even contact sleep.
Speaker 1: So this is the semifinals inter and we have Jack Robinson, our great hope, who was up.
Speaker 2: Against Gabriel Medina.
Speaker 1: Pretty solid surfer, pretty solid surfer, gave me the best in the world. If you don't know who he is, just think about that incredible photo that you've seen over the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Where he's levitating in his hands in the air next to a serf. He is. It's going to be hard for Jack, but you've just got to You've got to ride the wave. Who knows because a gold medal match will be at six forty five in the morning, So if he does progress, you'll be able to wake up and have your weedies and watch that the undefeated hockey rus have a quarter final meeting with China tonight.
Speaker 1: I'm nervous.
Speaker 2: That's at six pm. I'm not even going to talk about how I feel about our chances because that has not gone well.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right in the hockey sofar. Doing that, you.
Speaker 2: Rus and just to round it out because we don't mention her, then we're going to get a taser. But Simone Biles is gunning for more history. In the beam final, say you'll be watching.
Speaker 1: I'll be watching because it's at a very friendly time. Eight thirty six. She takes to the balance for the final and then the floor final ten twenty tonight, so you can see Simone Biles win hopefully more gold medals.
Speaker 2: She's won her seventh Games gold.
Speaker 1: In the in the vaults, the vault, which is insane. It's the thing she can do that no one else can do. That Your chenko whatever, it is her special thing. It'll because it's now the Biles too. It's the most like your chenko can go out of bills in but files in. If you've made it this far, well done, because it has been a monster weekend to recap a monster overnight. And again, if you feel like Australia are doing well, it's because we are Yeah, this is on So this is on track to be our greatest ever games performance and the joy that today sport brings me and hopefully brings you, just spread it, spread it. Which also to go back to us being psychic. You called that, you said that this was going to be our greatest games ever.
Speaker 2: Don't. We can't. It's it's very early. It's very early, and the fact that we to get I don't know, five six more gold for that to be the case makes me very uncomfortable. But Georgie love you know what our fun fact is going to be that it was a very long ap That's our fun fact today. So we will save it. I reckon, we will save it. We'll give you another one tomorrow. Again, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: Jeremy's heart rate went to nine thousand and four during the men's one hundred meter final today watching our Noah Lyle's win in a photo finish.
Speaker 2: Claim it, claim it. Thank you so much for joining us on two Good Sports, a Green and Gold edition. Please follow us on social media, hit subscribe, give us lovely reviews. It's been so heartening to see how many of you are listening. It's really great and wonderful. Hopefully the joy that we're feeling today is palpable.
Speaker 1: I think it is. I think it is, And until tomorrow, where we will be more joy personified the good sport