Speaker 1: Already.
Speaker 2: So while we were on our Easter break, we missed some rather major world news when Prince Philip passed away. Oh Phil, can you believe it's been like a months now.
Speaker 3: Since he died?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that flew by.
Speaker 3: That really did poor bus. He was ninety nine. Just shive his behind.
Speaker 2: I know, I know that's a bit of a shame, but he's rough.
Speaker 4: But now that we're.
Speaker 2: Back, I was curious as to how some of the big news talkback radio stations covered the breaking news when Philip died. It was nine pm our time, and you know we like to keep an eye out all what's happening on top back radio, So I've gone and pulled the audio from that very night.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, this is a big thing in the UK, Like I've seen tiktoks and YouTube videos that are like this is exactly what happens when the Queen of England will die, And there's like code words and secret languages, and apparently a lot of the news stations have packages already recorded. Amaze.
Speaker 2: One of my friends works for one of the TV news stations here in Sydney, and he told me ages ago that he'd pre prepared Prince.
Speaker 4: Philip's you what is it, oh, obituary?
Speaker 3: Obituary, Yes, obituary.
Speaker 2: He pre prepared the obituary, and so as soon as he carcked it, I met with my friend.
Speaker 4: It was like, Babe, I saw the obituary, loved it.
Speaker 3: It's so well news dot com, dot A. You released theirs and they clearly didn't prove reader because it said Prince Philip has died at the age of ninety nine of xxx, and they didn't fill it in. It just looked like he died of drinking a beer.
Speaker 2: I think that happened a few months ago when someone accidentally published their template.
Speaker 4: He hadn't died yet. They got Sidney Morning Herald.
Speaker 3: Oh like what they had like a skeleton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was filling the blanks. They accidentally published it before he died. But anyway, this is how talkback covered it. So it happened around nine pm. The press release came out and I'll kick off with ABC News.
Speaker 4: This is how they covered it nationally. You know how they've got the news.
Speaker 2: From the hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, ABC News with Glen Laughter, Federal Health Authority sergent.
Speaker 2: This would have been like the nine pm on the dot. The press release wouldn't have even come out yet. So credit to this news reader. He would have had to have read it live as it came up on his desktop because he wouldn't have gotten.
Speaker 4: The news yet.
Speaker 1: The fires of COVID nineteen vaccines now the preferred option for younger Australians after the astrodetting mail jab was linked to a small number of rare blood clotting cases around the world. In breaking news, Buckingham Palace has just announced that his Royal Highness, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, died earlier today. The ninety nine year old had been married to Queen Elizabeth since nineteen forty seven and officially became her consort when she ascended the throne in nineteen fifty two.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 2: We just kind of had to throw out all the other shit hed preprepared for that news bulletin that's heard.
Speaker 3: When you're doing live radio, you've got to be on it, you've got to be looking out for things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think they nailed it. Meanwhile, over at to GB.
Speaker 3: Oh, we love a bit of two GB.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the big news station in Sydney. I was quite surprised by their coverage.
Speaker 3: In the negatively or positively.
Speaker 2: Negatively, because they're meant to be like your news leader to gb Yeah, and obviously they didn't know that this was happening, so it was unfortunate that it came out during a football match that they were covering, and so the footy commentators had to break the news mid map.
Speaker 3: So not the newsreaders.
Speaker 4: They didn't even interrupted.
Speaker 2: They were just like, oh quick, you guys, ignore the game for a sec read this cheat out. I would have thought that the news room would conmet in we interrupted this program.
Speaker 3: They've cut it off.
Speaker 4: They just got the commentators to do it.
Speaker 3: Here we go. I think it's done very well that I was George Williams. I think the halfback's been pretty good for the Raiders. Boys.
Speaker 5: Raiders out on the field for the start of the second half. Sadly, I've got some breaking news that's coming in from the UK. Prince Philip has passed away at the age.
Speaker 3: Of ninety nine.
Speaker 5: Now. He was due to turn one hundred on June tenth this year, but a statement from the Royal family is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty for Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband. His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip. He's passed away this morning. It wins the castle, so that is a terrible story. He was a legend, Prince Philip. The second half coming up here the Raiders to kick off. Let's take you to the call team David Morrow, Dwell Browman and Mark Pete Riddell on the sideline.
Speaker 3: It's the people, the Raiders by twelve points. Yeah, skip a beat.
Speaker 2: I know they just kind of read the stab it and then go, I mean, what else do you say?
Speaker 4: Move on?
Speaker 3: It's almost as if no one was even acknowledging what he was saying. No one gave them any banter.
Speaker 4: I know, it was very weird, but bag moment. Yeah, they do.
Speaker 2: Obviously didn't have an obituary to play.
Speaker 4: Well, there's the news, you got it, move on.
Speaker 3: That's so funny.
Speaker 4: The Raiders interesting.
Speaker 2: And then obviously I had to check in on our favorite station to Sam and our mate Graham Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Oh we love Graham Gilbert, do we? Yeah? Graham Gilbert does the game that I play the I'm still trying to get the fridge magnet.
Speaker 4: No, that's not him, that's on ABC, is it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I can't even keep up.
Speaker 4: Graham.
Speaker 2: Gilbert is the one. Remember back in episode fifteen, you prank called him.
Speaker 4: Oh of course live O Laric.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yes, that's I'm getting confused.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Graham the one that we don't I mean, I don't have anything against him, but god, we'd like to mock him on this show, that's for sure. And so he was on air at night and I did keep tabs on the actual time codes. ABC News at nine oh two, got the news TWGB at nine oh four, and then ten minutes later two SM didn't even break the news. One of Graham's callers had to tell him. So he's not the most reliable news source. He has to get his listeners to fill him in.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: So this is what happened on two SM.
Speaker 3: Talk Tonight on thirteen, twelve sixty nine. Michael Good Evening.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, Graham, I just saw some very sad news.
Speaker 3: And Philip died. Who has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I met the gentleman.
Speaker 1: Quite a few times.
Speaker 2: I neber telling you on YEP.
Speaker 1: So it came out a news flash on the television.
Speaker 3: That is dreadful news.
Speaker 2: I'd like to let you.
Speaker 1: Know I didn't know if you already knew.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm glad you told us, Michael, and God bless you. Oh, thank you mate, thank you good God bless you, Michael, and please emails your resume. We need a new newsreader. Quite clearly, I was just like, whoa, how.
Speaker 4: Did you not get on top of that? You had ten minutes?
Speaker 2: Presumably as a talk back station, you'd be kind of keeping an eye on the sights.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, could you hear like the vintage baker light phone ringing in the background? I just had like a bat phone going off the hook, no idea.
Speaker 2: He also didn't sound that face, did he. He's like, who died Prince Philip? Ah, Oh, that's a shame.
Speaker 3: It's like when a great uncle dies that you don't really know. No, that's that's awful. Is and he was sick that he lived a good life.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When did I last see him? When I was four?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a shame.
Speaker 3: He was at my christening? Oh, the poor son. I hope he wasn't in pain.
Speaker 4: Doctor Night Graham covers all of his breaking news.
Speaker 2: He waits for the listener to tell him and then feign some sort of pity. Graham, you wouldn't believe a plane has just crashed into one of the World trade sentence. Ah, dear, oh dear, thanks for your call, Richard.
Speaker 3: Ten minutes later, Graham, another one's hit. It was so beautiful, Oh Graham, Yes, this is Dotty. What is he like to say, dot just this is Graham.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, dot you're on the air.
Speaker 2: Say that.
Speaker 3: There's a car crash on them. One three are dead. Thank you. I knew the pity. I knew them very well, all too well. Course it of.
Speaker 4: Course, thanks for letting you know. That's horrific, Am, it's fortunia.
Speaker 2: Steve Owen's been stabbed in the heart by a sting ray.
Speaker 3: Oh dear, hoping he really would make it through that ocean swim? What can you do?
Speaker 4: Talk tonight?
Speaker 3: Tonight. I don't know what I would have done if that news was given to me on my show. Where was I was off their I don't think I was. I was on holidays.
Speaker 4: I woke from a nap, yeah, like ten pm, and I was like, no, that's a shame.
Speaker 3: You really hoping you would have made it to one hundred dog tonight? Oh the memes were very harsh, though, I know that.
Speaker 4: Was too same, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: It were tiktoks and I made one and I got hate for it and then I deleted it.
Speaker 4: What did you make? What was your meme?
Speaker 3: I spent three dollars on it. I bought it. I bought an app to make it.
Speaker 4: Why did you need an app to make.
Speaker 3: The idea of.
Speaker 4: Mats has been brought on that holiday?
Speaker 3: No, because it was late at night, or we were in an uber on the way to a restaurant or a bar something. And I bought a fake Tinder profile making app because I can't photoshop shit and I wanted to. I made it, Liz, I think I still have it. I'll find it for you. I made all right. Single interest of walking my corkies and governing the commonwealth was that you.
Speaker 4: I swear, I saw that memes put.
Speaker 3: It up and then fuffy octopus legs. You're listening to this podcast? Oh god, people are quick and so cruel. This is disgusting or something like that.
Speaker 4: I delete realized that you made it.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, as Helen Keller once said, this podcast is fucking type you're listening to.
Speaker 3: Is it just me