Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian No Can Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Yesterday I had four for the kids. I made for tea last night, right, a good classic bangers and mash.
Speaker 3: Oh, we had bangers and mash too last night.
Speaker 4: Do you love a nice midweek bangers and mashes? A tree, isn't it? Do you do gravy with it? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, an onion gravy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I fried some onions as well, and I tried a new mash recipe yesterday as well that had cheese, milk, garlic, and not just garlic. Once you start national, but as you're boiling the potatoes, Patsy, you put a spoonful of garlic in there as well, with the potatoes there to start the garlic process.
Speaker 3: What have you got vampires over that side of town?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have bayside and some finey chopped spring onions.
Speaker 5: This this is the mash that I needed as a kid, because we had bangers and mash every night. My mom wasn't home because there was dad's only meal that he could do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, just what is it about the old school dad?
Speaker 2: He only had one thing, a terrible spaghetti boling knase, which shouldn't even be possible. But he put peas in it for some reason. I never want out to this day, I mean all over Italy, you know. Now, then you put peas in this?
Speaker 5: Well, my dad didn't put anything in the mash it. It was just like shrunched up potatoes.
Speaker 4: Suicide. It's so dry. It's something they get in prison in movies, is it.
Speaker 5: We had a couple of years where mum was working late every night and for every night we had pangs the match.
Speaker 4: You know, it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: The only time my dad ever could I think he must have good I'm not making this up right. Three to five times in my childhood, right was when mum was working late, and when I used to dread when Mum went, oh, i'll be home later on, like oh god, the old man's spag bowl, the flipping peas.
Speaker 4: Why is he put peas in there? I reckon.
Speaker 2: We could make a cookbook, a very slim cookbook of your dad's one dish, one meal corn in now? Was this you grown up? Wherever mum weren't late, your dad would have to step up to the to the stove and make.
Speaker 4: His one dish he could do.
Speaker 2: It's always something very basic, I guess, like bang as a mash or spag bowl. If that was your day, give us a call. What was his one meal that he could pull off?
Speaker 1: The Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 5: Jack, Your dad's one dish was very basic, bangers and mash, No flavor in the mashed potatoes.
Speaker 6: You're allowed to have tomato sauce on the sausages.
Speaker 4: And that was it. Gravy loss, gravulous, so just dry. For me, it was spaghetti bolognese. But wait with that in peace. Yeah, no, it's not an English thing.
Speaker 2: That Isn't it some kind of delicacy where we just poured peas in a spank bolt. Nope, just my dad. So this morning, what's this you growing up? What was your dad's go to dish?
Speaker 4: Damien?
Speaker 7: Good morning morning, here are you going?
Speaker 4: I'm good, Damien? So what was your dad's dish?
Speaker 7: My dad used to do this horrible, horrible stew where he would just cut up vegetables, so carrot, he's the tight. I trail a bit of hunging in there for five and then get the worst beef stew beef you could get.
Speaker 4: It's got chum, that cheap crap you get.
Speaker 6: The butcher was saving it to throw away. To the dogs, and your dad goes.
Speaker 2: Just basically the cow's eyes and eyebrows and his bum hoole.
Speaker 8: Past its use by day. Used to throw it in the pot and just undercook it.
Speaker 4: So when I met the veggies, they're all that really big chunk. They're not die so they're all lumpy, are they? No care?
Speaker 6: Cut in half?
Speaker 4: That's it your onion. Your stomach can digest this.
Speaker 8: So it was just it was boiled water and just came out of the veggie, and then they put it in a bowl and he'd serve it up to and enjoy this.
Speaker 4: From some sort of kens in workhouse.
Speaker 8: You sit there and you're like, holy hell, how are we going to get take away without the old man knowing time you went to be hungry.
Speaker 4: Of course you wouldn't eat that watery broth.
Speaker 8: Yeah, wait for the old man, the fall slaves and the cast and then just preach, uh we got through it.
Speaker 2: Yes, well done, you're a survivor. D beautifully told Jim when we send your price, Thanks for calling mate.
Speaker 4: That was brilliant.
Speaker 8: Thanks well.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: Dads didn't really actually, when I'm honest, now, my dad didn't do a huge. You know, he worked very hard, but minimalist in turns of almost like a zen light budden turns of what he actually did to be involved in the running of the house. Now I'm the other solar work and actually say he did soddle. Basically, I keep saying you had it easy, you had it He was probably the prime time to be a dad in the seventies and eighties, where my mom would go, I'd heard him come home from work, Dad, don't disturb your dad for an hour.
Speaker 4: We weren't allowed to bother him for the first hour.
Speaker 2: The moment I get in from this so called job, it's on this problem.
Speaker 4: My wife is leaving the houses. I'm just pulling up to the house. Is like, see how the cut of hours you do with them? Don't know we're asking you.
Speaker 2: Also, like growing up when dad had to cook, did you just have that one go to dish that he could barely pull off?
Speaker 4: We want to know what was it? Nine four one four one o four three? What this would be the world's worst cookoo? Wouldn't it red time? Nine seconds?
Speaker 2: Do not finally chop the vegetables and chop some of them, just chuck them in that pan?
Speaker 4: Let's go to uh to.
Speaker 2: Me good morning in Christian he matte, I'm good, buddy, dance to call the show. What was your dad's one dish?
Speaker 9: Ah? So his dish was a specialty called garch and it was so nice. No, it's it's terrible. My sister and I happily named it, and they would bothally go to the fridge and pull out whatever was going off, had mold on it. Think would just be scraped off, chopped up roughly and chucked into a pen. Had a splash of soy sauce, and that was dinner.
Speaker 6: I'm actually guilty of that.
Speaker 5: Anytime I'm worried that my dishes are good soy sauces.
Speaker 2: It's just a smoke screen for a whole load of food crimes, isn't it. You really say, Jamiel, have a good ram so then chuck half a bottle of soy sauce on it, just mulch it in.
Speaker 4: They don't know you screwed it up earlier.
Speaker 1: It was terrible.
Speaker 9: The only way that we could fix it was by getting half a block of cheese and grating it. Trying to get something tasty out of it.
Speaker 8: Is terrible.
Speaker 2: That's great, Toby, thank you very much, you killed mate. Take care thanks, Kate, good morning, Hello Kate. Tell us about d First of all, what was that's name or.
Speaker 8: Is that name dead?
Speaker 10: Name's David.
Speaker 4: What did David do is his dish?
Speaker 11: Well, he had a specialty where he just get a pressure cooker and chop up potato, pumpkin, carrot and put peas in and.
Speaker 4: The old piece.
Speaker 11: You know it's the most Yeah, always pea.
Speaker 4: Cheap and easy. You can't screw up peace.
Speaker 2: So anyway, you're back to the pressure cooker pumping from loads of leftover ones going cheap after Halloween.
Speaker 10: No, he just you know, he'd have all these ingredients in the fridge or around place in the pantry and he just chopped them all up and that was it, just put in the pressure cooker for about ten minutes. And it was called yuck because of the side effects because we were all flatcherlant afterwards.
Speaker 2: I'm not supposed to say that we've got yug and got so basically all you had was just a load of sort of vegetables.
Speaker 9: That's right.
Speaker 4: It's not when you go to a health farm, you horible juicing. Even they put it in a blender.
Speaker 2: Yours is blended, fairly digested food.
Speaker 4: No wonder you want flats.
Speaker 2: You're story breaking down that pumpkin now, all these years later, all right, flatching Kate Love, We did hear from you. Thanks you, Carl, take care that squeee one last Onrning who we got here, morgany, good morning, happy birthday, Thank you very much, Morgan Morgan. What was your dad's one dish.
Speaker 12: Well, Christian dad's dreadful dish? I would call it was lambs for a liver with mashed potatoes. However, it was too lazy to pill the potatoes, so that would be mixed up in with the match.
Speaker 4: I did that yesterday. I could bother. I thought, these are tiny, these skins? Are they? Sure is a bit more crunch for these kids.
Speaker 6: What about those nuvitial things that you know, you get to know.
Speaker 4: I just mashed it all up and just hope that then put sauce to cover.
Speaker 12: So he would put the gravy on top. We'll try and hide the flavor. But the gravy was home brands, no magic gravy in airhouse, and it tasted life. It wasn't mixed properly. So you eating my gravy pear.
Speaker 4: Oh god, do you.
Speaker 2: Remember that it was like flour and like lumpy and not. It has to be really warm, doesn't it. Gravies, we'll be like Luke tepid.
Speaker 12: Yeah, eat Lance Horizon. Find out it is. Then you're eating that gritty tick.
Speaker 2: Too many textures going on, there are there a lot of chewing going on.
Speaker 4: Too much chewing.
Speaker 12: It's traumatizing. As soon as you mentioned mashed potato on the radio.
Speaker 4: I triggered you this morning and I'm really sorry. Morgan. All right, thanks you cool mate, take care, go ahead back.
Speaker 1: This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast