Speaker 1: If I have one bad race, people are commenting on my body if I have one good race, and they're like, oh, you know, she could lose a little bit of weight, but she still ran fast, which she doesn't make sense. And it got to the point and I'm not even joking where oh my gosh, I'm actually like Jesus, I'm like kind of cheering up. But it got to the point where I would have to go in for a being my test once every four weeks because of certain people that I had to deal with within athletics in OZ And it just got to the point I get in there, the biomech dude would be in there and I'd just start crying in front of him, like shaking, too scared to go onto their scales because more people were concerned with my image than my performance.
Speaker 2: Was gone something finally make hello and welcome back to the Rise and Conquered Podcasts. This is a podcast for women who want to take control of their lives, gain the confidence to live unapologetically, and who are ready to turn their biggest dreams into their reality. I'm your host Georgie Stevenson, former lawyer turned entrepreneur and personal development junkie In today's conversation, I'm sitting down with Olympian runner Morgan Mitchell. Morgan is a plant based Olympian runner who has achieved so much at just the age of twenty five. In today's chat, we dive deep into body image, her plant based diet, being an athlete, and Morgan tells us about her experience being featured on the well known documentary Game Changes. If you've ever wondered what a day on an athlete's play looks like or what their crazy training regime is, then this is the episode for you. I just love getting to know Morgan. She truly was a delight to chat to. And just before we get into the episode, I did want to note that Morgan is currently in the US, so there was a little bit of lag time and we did have some internet issues. Hopefully we can kind of edit those out, but just be conscious of that and apologies if the audio isn't perfect. But I hope you love this interview. I really enjoyed it. Hello Morgan, and welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for having me. I'm super excited.
Speaker 2: We are so excited to have you on the Rise and Conquer podcast and you're currently in Chicago, aren't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's eight fifteen here and it's like quite funny at this time. It's usually freezing, but it's been twenty five and sunny all week, so I'm not complaining amazing.
Speaker 2: I am such a person like the weather very much controls my mood. So if it's like a sunny, hot week, I'm in a good.
Speaker 1: Mood, oh for sure. And I guess like coming from the Gold Coast, right, that's all you know, was your son. You guys are so lucky out there in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Oh, my cousins live in Melbourne. And then I remember like going down there when I was younger for the first time, and like it being like sunny and rainy and windy all one day, and I was just like, how can people live here?
Speaker 1: Honestly, you just don't know what you're going to get. It is.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful city though, so I definitely attained that. But before we get into the show and chat things all and chat all things, Morgan, I want to ask you, and this is a question I asked all my guests in season three, and it is, what is something you're practicing, a non negotiable that you do daily that really helps you step into your power.
Speaker 1: Ooh ooh, that's a good one. I have a few. That's a funny thing. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to that in like my career. Yeah, so one for me, especially like I guess my power being tracked and training at the moment, it would definitely be to write down my goals for that day, Like I have to do it because I'm heavily into visualization as well, and like positive affirmations and manifesting for sure. And for me, it's just like I need to sort out what i have to do for the day because I'm so busy, and if it's actually written down, I don't know what it is. It's like I'm committed. It's kind of like looking at, you know, a program from my coach, but it's just for me. And one thing for me as well, just to cap off the night, is to meditate for at least five minutes, just to kind of like, I think the thing that I've found important over the course of my career is just being able to ground myself at the end of the day for sure, because I don't know, I just get lost sometimes, you know what I mean, Like whether it be with meeting high profile people and or you know, I'm just getting a little bit, you know, I'm falling out of my zone and being true to myself. So I think the meditation has helped me a lot for sure in the past like three to four years.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love those daily non negotiaals when you're or like I'm into visualization and manifesting. I was like, yeah, have a goal.
Speaker 1: Oh are you the same? Yes? Like how good is it? Yes?
Speaker 2: And every single day, Like I love writing down my goals and I have like three of my big goals and then not even stuff like I'm achieving that day, but just to have them there and I think is so important, oh.
Speaker 1: One hundred pc. And just not to lose sight of what you want. That's like huge, right.
Speaker 2: So I cannot wait to get into that later in the interview. But before we do that, could you let the audience know who you are and what you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So my name is Morgan. I just turned twenty six. I'm an Aussie track athlete, an Olympian and that's pretty much it really. I run track and I'm a bit of a note in my spare time, I like to you know, teach myself piano, learn Spanish, so knit in design, like I don't know if it's like undiagnosed add but I always just have to be doing something.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. And like when you teach yourself those skills, are you quite good at them? Are you someone who's very like naturally you catch on things?
Speaker 1: I guess with that being arrogant, I would say yes only, but I mean I also I took Italian and French and Spanish when I was younger, so you know, I have a little bit of knowledge around that. I had piano lessons when I was like six, so I guess I've got like the skill for most of it. But yeah, YouTube's a wonderful thing. Anyone on YouTube can teach you something and you end up being a master at it. Although I think I am, but so yeah, definitely, And I love to do.
Speaker 2: My TWN absolutely, yes, I absolutely love that. And I really love that you know your hobbies and what you're doing in your spare time is so different to your career.
Speaker 1: Interesting, it's so funny. No one expects it like I used to just doing it.
Speaker 2: So tell us more about your running career and tell us about what a day in the life would look like when you were training, you know, for an important event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I guess my running career actually started when I was six and up until about twelve, thirteen years old, I was running and then I quit until so it's at for six years, I just didn't even look at a track. And it wasn't until in twenty twelve, you know, my last year of high school. And I think any Aussie knows. You know, you go from fifteen to eighteen pretty much just going out with a fake ID and drinking. And I can promise you that's all I did in high school. And I see on the news that Rio will be the host city for the twenty sixteen Olympic Games, and I literally just dropped everything then and there, and I was like, okay, I'm going to those Olympic Games. And I called my old coach and just said, hey, what do you think about twenty sixteen Olympics And he was like, well, you better get to the track first. I mean, I haven't seen you in six years. And sure enough, it was kind of crazy because we, you know, we started in twenty twelve, made the World Junior's team off of like two months training and like the rest is just kind of history, right, But I guess the day in the life of Morgan, it's pretty intense. When I'm full, like in full training mode, it's like wake up at six, get your green tea, and write down your goals, eat brecky, hopefully have enough time to like take the dog for a walk or whatever, and then I'm out the door ready for training at eight eight thirty and that's straight onto the track, and then straight after that at eleven, I'll be into the gym. After that I'm trying to you know, tee up with a friend for coffee or answer emails for that day that I've gotten from my manager. And then at night it's just like a nice long eight to ten k job, depending on how I'm feeling. And that's kind of almost day in, day out, depending on what my coach wants for training. But it's quite funny, like I'm so used to it, even though I sit back and think, fuck, I'm actually pretty busy. It kind of it's it just becomes your whole life, right. So yeah, that's pretty much mean in a.
Speaker 2: Nutshew imagine wow, And so talk to us a little bit more sorry about your training because I find it super interesting in regards to obviously, you know, you do that for conditioning and whatnot. So you go on the track and then you're in the gym and then you go for a run every single day. I can imagine that being super difficult, super difficult and quite hard on your body. So in regards to that, do you have a lot of like recovery that you do also?
Speaker 1: Oh, to be honest, I hope you agree with me on this. It's quite funny because I do do a lot of recovery, like I try to anyway, in terms of ice baths and stretching. But as soon as I discovered, you know, I've got one of the best, best, best hseos in the world, and like he's just such a legend. And same with my massage therapist, I was kind of like me being lazy and just wanting some downtime. I thought, you know what, I'm just going to pay someone to do all that recovery stuff for me, which probably isn't a good message to send to most people, like you should have your own routine. But I just think, because I'm always doing something, I just want to be able to lie down on a table and someone else is putting in the work for me. So I'm going I love that. Yeah, like three two to three days a week. I'm just like, yeah. I mean people are usually like, are you even a professional athlete? But I'm saying, someone out there wants to earn money, Well there's your money.
Speaker 2: No. I absolutely love that, and I love that you touched on that and you're just very like upfront about it, and I think it it is important too, because like you said, and I don't like, I don't even think it's a lazy thing. I think it's the You're clearly someone who is very like switched on and join and very very lots of things happening all the time, and so you probably need that, like you probably need some to go, Okay, stop, Morgan, just lay on the table. I'm gonna do some bodywork. And I feel much the same like I do that with acupuncture and massage and whatnot, Like I almost like need someone to tell me to stop.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. And how good is acupuncture you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, oh yeah, amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh insane. And for me it's just at the end of the day, it's like another hour, hour and a half of just being able to sleep or meditate or just completely zone out, Like I just feel like I'm being closed dressed for so long, week in week out. I like switch off my phone. No one effing talked to me, Let me just do my thing with my guy, and yeah, off we go. So that's how Colly you do accupunct I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I actually found I used to do acupuncture because I used to live in Brisbane and I had an amazing acupunctress and then I moved and I stopped doing it for a while because I couldn't find one, and then recently I found one and she's amazing. She like does that acupuncture and then she also gives you a massage. And I'm someone who loves to be touched, so I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, ye ye, heaven feel.
Speaker 2: So tell us more about I guess the motivational part about what you do, because I guarantee there's a lot of people listening thinking, holy crap, this girl is insane. And obviously a lot has to do with discipline and you wanting the thing you want. But talk to us a little bit. Have you ever struggled with motivation to continue this routine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I I definitely do. I'd be lying if I said I didn't. And I think every athlete struggles with motivation, right, But for me, it's kind of like, I'm such a grateful person because growing up, you know, when you're younger, you just kind of don't think about the things that are given to you can't. Well, I used to just expect them, which is quite a horrible thing to do, and quite you know, they're just actions that shouldn't be a thing in my life. And it's not until there's someone out there that will humble you that I realized, Wow, I should be grateful that I can travel the world to run, and I should be grateful that we do get put up in really nice hotels, and I've been to countries that some people wouldn't be it would never even think about going to or even have the opportunity to go to. So for me, I think that's where my motivation comes from, is just all the opportunities that come from athletics and the fact that I can run and represent my country. There's just so much to be grateful for. It's like, how can you not be motivated? Right? But then at the same time, I definitely have days where I'm just like, what the air am I doing? Like why am I even here? But I've actually built up quite a good team around me where you know, they'll just tell me, like get your ass out of bed training or whatever, and I just need that. I sometimes I just need people to be real and raw and just say, come on, I'm here, you're paying me, or I'm here ready for you. Don't be late, like show up on time. We've got a goal to, you know, get through, and that's obviously going to the Olympics and running well. So for me, yeah, it definitely comes down to just being grateful of having a really good, strong team around you, which I had to restart and kind of refresh my team back in what was it mid twenty eighteen on my Europe trip that was probably my all time low, and I just thought, screw it, I'm going to change events. I'm going to get a new coach. She's going to be a female. My manager is now a female as well. My sports likes a female. And it's kind of cool. It's like we've got this really good group of women that are just so supportive of one another, and we're all on the same page and stuff with what I want to do and where I want to go.
Speaker 2: That is, so I absolutely love that statement so much. I like this podcast is clearly mostly women, So I think that is super insightful for you to say, you know, you change your team, you looked at the people around you, and I think that I think that's a great point to touch on in regards to motivation, is having that support system around you that really kind of like when you can't motivate yourself, you have a team that really supports and motivates you.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. I just it's something everyone needs, and especially being in an individual sport. But it doesn't even have to be sport, right, Like, it could be any aspect of life, Like I think business, it's so important to have a mentor there that's been through it and done at all, because there's so much you can learn from other people. Right But yeah, that's just what it's.
Speaker 2: Important and tell us more, tell us more about the concept of you having a team with mostly women around you. So that's a very kind of, you know, important thing for you.
Speaker 1: Or Yeah, I think, to be honest, I like, growing up, I've always been such a tomboy, right, Like, I don't think I wore dress until I was about oh god, seventeen or something crazy like that. So I've just always been like, you know, one of the boys, like let's just get dirty, let's get down into it, and you know, real kind of masculine, and even in the lead up to the Olympics, like my whole team was full of males. And I think the thing I finally realized was, Wow, sometimes I feel like I can't have a voice, or I'd be silenced just because I'm a female, or I'd be called too emotional, She's too this, she's too that. And then I'm like, you know what, whenever I talk to a woman about my issues, they get it. They know what to say, they know how to talk about my body, they know how to talk about periods and how I'm feeling and why I'm feeling this way. And so yeah, I hit like I said, after the Calm Games, I was just like, get me the f out of here, let me just go and be a kid again. And then it was like a light bulb moment where I was like, Okay, I've talked to so many women that have been so supportive. Fuck it, let's just go with it and just you know, build this team of strong women and to be honest, it's the happiest I've been since I started athletics, which is it's quite sad when I think about it, like I've done so much in my life, but it's not until now where I've actually been truly, truly happy to go out there and run. So yeah, I'm actually very thankful for them all. And I just think it's so important because, to be honest, women get women and sometimes I don't know if you've been through it, but men just don't really want to understand women and you're always butting heads, so I don't have any time to waste screw itt.
Speaker 2: Wow, I absolutely love that, and like, I know, I completely get you. Like even in my own business at Naked Harvest, our team is mostly females, and my brother, who co owns a company, he's like, can we stop just and I'm like, females do it better. And I think I also think that's quite important for you to touch on that because you know, I think sport is such a male dominant industry and oh, like you said, like your whole team was full of males, and I think that's also quite important for you in regards to having a team of women and you know, supporting them and that way, and obviously you know it works for you and your team and that sort of side of things. But yeah, thanks for touching on that. It's super insiteful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, before we move on and switch gears, i'd love to just get a little a little insight. So obviously you're an amazing inspirational athlete, and like you said, there are so many amazing things to it, but I'm sure there's also some hard parts. So what is kind of your favorite thing about being an athlete? And then what is the hardest part about being an athlete?
Speaker 1: Oh, I think my favorite part definitely obviously like running PBS and making teams that have to be my favorite part is just like, oh god, it's a whole thing from yeh, running fast. Then you because you've run fast, you get to make a team. Because you made a team, you get to go, you know, to the Bahamas or China or Germany or wherever that major championship is. And then you get to like experience different cultures, which is so important to learn how other people think and feel and speak and act. So that's probably a pretty broad answer. There's not just one thing I love, but I would definitely say the hardest part is just the criticism you receive just even from stepping out there. You don't even have to begin running and someone will already be commenting on your body, you know what I mean. So for me, it's just like the hardest part is dealing with the armchair critics that know nothing about track unless it's the Olympics and everyone's an expert. So yeah, I think that's something I've struggled with. But I think I'm getting better at as I get older. I just know how to manage it and how to manage my emotions and not let everything get to me. But yeah, I've had some completely heartbreaking moments where people just take like they suck the fun out of it, right, and then it's kind of like, well, shit, why do I represent Australia If Australia doesn't even want to get around me or other athletes because of the way I look in at Crop Top and Undies. It's just wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, almost it's ridiculous, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It can be heartbreaking for sure, Yeah, just like it just doesn't make sense in my mind.
Speaker 2: And so let's talk about that, because, like you said, like, you know, you're out there, you're ready to race, you're ready to run, you know, and you're an athlete, like that is your job. And then for someone to criticize you and talk about your body, it almost seems like so left field. But also I feel like we're very used to that in our culture and in the media. Can you kind of chat about this aspect of you know, body criticism and how you feel about it and how you deal about it. I remember reading an article where you did speak about this, and you did speak so beautifully about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So I think I'd have to be start off by being honest. And I think growing up we've all experienced we've all bullied, and we've all been bullied. And I'll admit, like when I was younger, I you know, I kind of still want big boobs, but you know, i'd be really jealous of girls that had bigger rest of me, or you know, a smaller waist or longer hair. And you just attack people for things that you don't have, and it's not until it actually happens to you that you know. As I got older, I'm like, wow, I just can't talk about women the way that other people talk about me because it's just horrible, right. And I battled so much throughout my career with body weight and all the issues around that, because when I'm in the off season, I'd allow myself to gain eight kilos literally in two weeks because I'm in off season, like I don't have to work, and then I'd get back into season and if I have one bad race, people are commenting on my body. If I have one good race, they're like, oh, you know, she could lose a little bit of weight, but she still ran fast, which she doesn't make sense. And it got to the point and I'm not even joking where oh my gosh, I'm actually like Jesus, I'm like kind of cheering up. But it got to the point where I would have to go in for being my test once every four weeks because of certain people that I had to deal with within athletics in OZ and it just got to the point I get in there, the biomech dude would be in there and I'd just start crying in front of him, like shaking, too scared to go onto their scales because more people were concerned with my image than my performance. And I just thought, you know, once I started my new team. My new coach has been so amazing. She's like, I couldn't care what you look like. All I need you to do is rock up to the track and hit the times I give you. And so it's kind of nice when they actually give you back a little bit of you know, they hold you accountable and like, just hit my times, nothing else matters. Then you do start to think, okay, cool, I can eat healthy, I can do this. I'm not gonna want to stress it or whatever, and you kind of just get back to athletics because you want to run fast, not because it's the Victoria's Secret fashion show. And that was just huge for me. I'm like, yeah, I don't care what I look like as long as I'm running fast. I mean, is anyone going to worry if I do? When the Olympics and I have cell You're like, no, they're gonna be like, damn, you want a gold medal. Who gives a shit what she looks like. But you know, I feel like we struggle so much because, especially being a woman, it's just like, I don't know, it's like you're always in it. I'm always in a crop top and undies. It's always a summer sport, so you always see me in a bikini, which just opens a floodgate for people to say what they want. It's really tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could only imagine. And I think I think also, like like you said about feeling like, you know, this is your sport, this is what you love to do, and then having to come at it with looking a certain ways just like that. Yeah, like I can't I can't even fathom that, especially already having the pressure, yeah, of making the times and then to look good. It's just it's ridiculous. It's ridiculous, the pressure.
Speaker 1: It's just insane. Like, but now I like, because I've always had, you know, like one of my flaws, I guess I would say it's just to sell. You're like, I get under my bum right, But now I'm kind of like mad who cares. Like it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, we all have we all have that, And I think that's a huge testament to you having that transformation in the way you think, because I you know, I think we can all agree as young women going through that sort of stage in your life where you're so conscious about how you look and how other people perceive you, and then just getting to the point where you're just like, what am I doing? And why do I care so much? And especially it's so it's so disappointing, especially because it's not like it's a health thing for you, because you know, you're clearly running fast and like you said, like winning gold medals, like it shouldn't matter what its like you look like. But it's such like it's such like a testament to the not a testament, but it's the typical sort of patriarch thing that oh no, she also has to look good, like yeah, outrageous.
Speaker 1: It just yeah, and it like I used to be obsessed with it, honestly, it was just so unhealthy. But now I just think, Okay, I have both young male and female training partners who are going through that hormonal change, you know, with their bodies, girls getting their periods, boys are growing really quick and they're always injured or whatever, and I just think I can't let them see me worry about my body and what I look like. I have to be really open and honest with Okay, this is just what I'm going to look like today. Okay, I've got my period, I bloat a lot, I gained two kilos I'm gonna be a little bit sluggish and just kind of rolling with it, because that's if I can just honestly overcome that. It's just one less thing I have to worry about. And I want, you know, the kids in my squad to look at me and be like, oh, Morgan doesn't care. Why should I care? Like, yeah, why should you care? Just be happy? No.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love that, and I love that you said that, like you need to be a good role model and kind of lead by example in that way, because it is so true. If we don't sort of take a stand, then nothing's going to change. And I really love you have a highlight on your Instagram with this amazing quote that says, I don't care if I'm aesthetically pleasing, I just want to run fast. And I just don't love that so much because it's just so true.
Speaker 1: And like so many people just need to understand that as well, you know what I mean, Because at the end of the day, we've all got flaws, So it's like, who am I to attack someone else when there are things that I wish I could change about my body, you know what I mean, Like, not one person is perfect, and that's a beauty in it. So but yeah, it's kind of nice. It only took our ears out of my career to get to this point.
Speaker 2: Jesus No, I totally a feel you. I have like a kind of a very similar history with where I'm like looking back and thinking, holy shit, I wasted so much time and energy on what I look like and it was just such a bloody waste. But I think it's you know, it's a lesson we all need to learn, and how amazing that we've already learned it and we're you know, survering on.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So, Morgan, we've chatted about you being an athlete and also body image. I would love to touch on your plant based diet, so I know that you eat a plant based and I also saw you in the Game Changes documentary. Congratulations, Thank you. Can you tell us a little bit about your journey with veganism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I became vegan about five years ago, just before Christmas, right, like my mum was, yeah, the say it. And it was actually an ex at the time was he was just so into his health and wellness and one day he walks and he's like, we need to go vegan. I think I was just so sick of hearing all these different diets. I was like, Okay, cool, you know, I'll do it. But for me, like I've never really liked eggs, I don't. I don't think I really had a lot of dairy anyway, Like I'm not cheese ubceessed or anything. And I only really ate chicken and fish anyway in the occasional burger. So for me, it was kind of an easy transition, right. And again, it took me so long to get used to the vegan diet, but it wasn't until I found my first Dietitian Lucy, that she just completely changed my outlook. Like I didn't realize I never ate beans until becoming vegan, Like beans just weren't on the menu for me. Ever, obviously learned what tofu was, and you know, lentils and satan and all that stuff. So yeah, it was kind of it was a long journey, but you know, good things have come out of it, like the game changes, and to be honest, that was just I look back now and I'm like, WHOA, because we shot in twenty sixteen. I was twenty one when we shot, I know, So I watched the movie and I'm like what the fuck.
Speaker 2: I think come about?
Speaker 1: So it was actually piece. It was like a lake and she I remember I was in Germany at the airport and I get this call from her and she was telling me about this new documentary. You know, this is twenty sixteen, it's about vegans. Would you like to be a part of it? I'm like okay, like whatever, and then she dropped James Cameron's name, and he's obviously done Titanic and Avatar and you know, he's like a guru of movies. And I was like, yeah, bloody Oak, like I'll come home right now. Screwed the Olympics. And then yeah, so we shot straight after the Olympics on my holiday in So I was on a holiday in Hawaii, but we had to shoot in la And for so long I didn't really hear a lot about it since then, and then it kind of gained a little bit of you know, traction. And the guy was like, yeah, yeah, it's coming together, it's coming together. And I was like, well, kind of sound like a myth I haven't heard too much. And next minute it's like Arnold Schwartzenegger, Serena Williams, Jackie Chan, Chris Paul like all of these huge names Lewis Hamilton, and I'm thinking, have you got the right person? Like should I am? I still even going to be in there's like what the hell I saw? I said so much? And yeah, so I went to the one of the smaller premieres in Canada in twenty eighteen and I was blown away by the docco and sure enough, like after World Champs last year where my boyfriend and I are at the premiere in Hollywood, and that, to me, it was just insane, Like that was just one of the coolest experiences of my life. It was just huge to think, like a girl from Werribee is like, you know, in Hollywood, meeting all these cool people watching herself on the movie screen and yeah, it's just it's honestly been awesome And it was so well put together and the cast was awesome, the crew was awesome. So yeah, definitely a cool experience.
Speaker 2: How bloody cool is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Now I watched the documentary and it was really good. So yeah, I would also love to know, So what sort of benefits did you notice from the coming plant based.
Speaker 1: That's good, that's a good question. I would say for me, the number one thing was a recovery like I couldn't believe, you know, I was waking up. I wasn't sore right, like I wouldn't need to ice, but I wouldn't need massages. I could just keep going all day. And another one like another one. I like try to tell people about is I used to get tonsualidis. Oh I glandular fever in twenty twelve. I got tonsilides probably twice a year from twenty ten up until about up until going vegan. And I'm not even joking when I say I haven't been six since, like no word of a lie. I have not been six since. I haven't had tonsliders since. So I think there was obviously something in either like the meat or whatever I was eating that was just screwing up my system and just the immune system. Yeah, and so yeah, they're probably the two things. Is like I'm never sick, my recovery is insane, and my skin is just so clear. I think that's honestly one of my favorite parts. Like I just I don't really break out unless it's my period. Sometimes I get that blind pimple, you know, when you get one on your chin you can't see it. But having hurts that woman. Yeah, if someone has a secret to get rid of that once a month, great send it my way.
Speaker 2: I totally have one of those on my cheek right now. I either get my chin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so painful. I hate them. What the hell like, at least come through if.
Speaker 2: You're I know, don't just and then it's like sitting there for like days and like what are you doing that now? So amazing amazing, And I think also I'd love to know, and this is like more of like a selfish thing, just because I would love to know what does a day on the plate look like for you? Like tell us about what the sort of vegan meals look like?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you want in season or out of season? Because I am.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess could you give us both?
Speaker 1: Is that I'm died? Yeah, I think I'll actually I'm going to start a YouTube channel show people because I think they'd be horrified. Really. Oh, Like, I just I love food. I can seriously eat. It's kind of disgusting, but I mean it's also a hobby and it's a bit of a talent. So in season I can't. I'm pretty simple, like I just do it because I really don't like cooking, and I can't even like because my friends would actually pull me up if I said I love it. But if I'm not getting a Salara meal, which is just those ready homemade ones, I'd probably just do two blueberry bagels or two pieces of rye toast with peanut butter, banana and maple syrup and blueberries. I'm such a smoothie person, but I'm also so boring, like I have the exact same smoothie because I get everything I need and then I do so bananas, blueberries, spinach, chear, seeds, water and dates. I don't really like to do plant based milks, just because I'm trying to keep it a little bit more lighter. For lunch, I'm my dietician is going to be like, I love your honesty, but we need to I usually because I'm always training or going in between sessions and I'm in the city, I'd probably just stop somewhere and get lunch. So I probably just go for like a tofu salad or usually a burrita or a heavy sandwich if I'm actually lifting in the gym at in the afternoon, because I just get so so hungry. I'm always with a coffee or like I will try and find you know, vegan cross on or cookie just because I'm feeling sorry for myself and I need a treat. And then dinner I'm obsessed with, like you know, Pastors Berger night, They're probably two of my favorites, or just like a homemade fried rice and vegan dumplings. I love, love, love dumplings. So yeah, like I try to keep it flexible, but I'm also pretty boring. Like once I'm in season, I just try to keep everything the same because I know what works. And then when I'm oh my gosh, when I'm in off season, it's like glass of champagne for breakfast. I'm just kidding kind of, don't. It depends how deep into off season. I actually learned how good that was on my Europe trip two years ago.
Speaker 3: I love so I'm for this, yeah, but I would probably I do like a massive breakfast burrito with hash Browns.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Naked Harvest Supplements, the natural supplement company I co founded with my brother. This company was really brought to life because I have been using supplements for such a long time since the start of my fitness journey. But what I really struggled to find was all natural supplements without the crap, that were tailored to women's health and that actually tasted good. And that's how Naked Harvest Supplements was born. Our hero products are a natural pre workout and our vegan Thrive Protein. Our natural pre workout is vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and is a natural energy boost without the crash. This is your go to to enhance your workout and to get you in the mood to conquer your day. My favorite flavor is sweet Strawberry, which literally tastes like strawberry clouds, Oh my God. And tropical iced Tea, which tastes like that lipped and iced tea drink. It is so refreshing. Our Thrive plant protein is also vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and it is so smooth for a vegan protein. I know our NH gang loves cooking with it or using it in that post workout smoothie, and so do I. My favorite flavor for the Thrive is definitely our newest pancake batter flavor. It is the real deal and tastes exactly like the name. If you want to enhance your performance and optimize your day. Try Naked Harvest now. I've also got a special code for my Rise and Conquer podcast listeners. Just type in Rise and Conquer Podcasts out checkout to receive a sneaky discount that is Rise and Conquer Podcasts and the end is spelt out. It is not the simple. I'll also pop the links in the show notes if you want to check that out. But let's get back into the episode, right, we are back recording. Sorry guys, Me and Morgan just had a tech issue, but she was going to finish her what she eats. Oh yeah, part of about the champagne at breakfast.
Speaker 1: Yeah that is so good. But yeah, like I'm such a big, big breakfast burrito girl. Sometimes I'll have to at my favorite place in Phoenix It's called Nami. But yeah, so after that, I love like biscuits and gravy donut and coffee for dinner. Like I'm not a huge pizza person, so I probably go back to like burgers or you know, like Mexican Night with the girls. But for me, it's just like when I'm in off season, I just love eating out with friends and then just like ordering every single appetizer and then like four main meals and just going to town. So yeah, like, but that's a thing. Like my favorite Mexican play is Village canteena where I'm in Melbourne, Like in Meraville, I'd literally get because I have a vegan menu. I do like the burrito, two of their tacos and a cassadia right, and people are like, are you seriously going to eat that? Don't look at me, don't judge me. I've only got two yeah, two to four weeks to be who I am. Let me live.
Speaker 2: And so with the whole eating with your off season and on season, why does the diet have to be so considerably different. Is it just because you are running every single day?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that. And it's definitely like just trying to get the right fuel in and making sure I'm eating my veggies and getting enough of the right calves and all of that, because it really does show on the track if I'm you know, if I do have a night out. I mean, obviously alcohol's a little different, but if I have just been eating fries for that week, I just I'm living off of oils and carbs, like fats and carbs and it's just so totally never going to work out for me, especially the older I get. So I do try to keep things a little bit more you know, organic, a bit more fresh and all of that stuff. And I think for me, it's like, yes, I love to eat healthy, but when it is a part of your job and you've been doing it for so long, as soon as I get a sniff of off season, I'm just like, see.
Speaker 2: Yah, ready for the good food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially you know what Australia is like in summer, Oh my god, and we have night noodle markets and food and wine festivals. It's, oh my gosh, just so easy, so good. No.
Speaker 2: I love that you're a foodie. I'm a total FRUITI Yeah. So let's talk about your goals and what you do. Obviously, you have achieved so much at such a young age, and obviously it's not by coincidence or chance. You work very hard. But at the start you did mention about visualizing your goals and you have a whole goals process. I would love to hear more about that. I'm a bit of a like a nerd, but that sort of side of things.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, about my like my future goals or how I go about it.
Speaker 2: So when you're you know, preparing for a race, or you do have quite a big goal, like going to the Olympics, I know you spoke about like visualization, what does that look like for you?
Speaker 1: So for me, it's probably more so drawing. I love like pictures, and like I like to actually be visual and to see what I want. So yeah, I've got like this little dream book that I have. Well it's kind of just it's like an art scrap book, but I call it a little dream book, and I'll like I'll stick photos in there of things that I want to achieve and want to do. But especially in the Olympic here, it's just honestly like meditation every single night of me playing over playing the race over and over in my head, and that just seems to work because it's like your mind starts to trick itself into thinking, Okay, this is exactly what she wants. She wants to go out decently hard, like quite hard, and then she wants to relax down the back straight and come home strong. When I was running in the four hundred, and honestly every race it was just like clockwork because I'd been dreaming it for what was it, maybe twelve to sixteen weeks straight. But for me, it's just like it's definitely that dream book. Oh my gosh, the things that are in it and the things that I've done. It's like, in twenty sixteen, I had fourteen different things that I wanted to tick off, and I literally did twelve out of the fourteen. So yeah, that's why I just think it's so important to visualize it. Insane. Yeah, it scared me though, to be honest, I was like, whoa, Oh my god, Like, what is this?
Speaker 2: No, I think that's insane, And that's such like obviously in a testament to the hard work. But having that vision and I'm like, I'm throffing right now because I'm here on my computer and I've got a vision board behind it, and I'm someone who I love to sit and meditate and really hold that. And I call them like desires or the things. Yeah, really gender what would it feel like? And you know, what how would I feel? What would I be wearing? Where would I be laying out? Yeah, And it sounds like when you say it out loud and explainage people like it sounds almost a bit silly, but like you said, you're really like training your brain and you're saying, look like this is what I want, this is the future, this is what's going to happen, and it's almost like you're attracting it so much faster and quicker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like honestly, the things like you know obviously because you have a vision board and you've kicked girls. It's just like when it happens, I'm honestly like just amazed, you know what I mean. I just kind of think, yeah, like surely not, this cannot be real, this cannot this is not meant to work. But then it does, and you just kind of like become addicted, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: When it works, you're like, holy crap, it works, and yeah, yeah, of course you're like, yes, I want to do this more. And it's really funny you say that. Just the other day, I redid my vision ball because I had one from I think it was like twenty eighteen or twenty nineteen, and it was an older one. And it's funny because I was taking all the pins off and I had just like printed new I'm a Pinterest goal so yeah, trust girth. And it's really funny because when I was taking off the pins basically much like you, eighty to ninety percent of the pins and the things I wanted to achieve are like are in my reality down to like weird, yeah, like down to like weirdly like Pinterest photos are obviously, you know, such like there's someone else's reality reality, and I can think specifically of like the house I was trying to manifest and like my house looks so weirdly the same. I'm like, oh my god, this is like bizarre. So I really love that you're into it, and I really love that you use that, you know, for like winning I was about to say winning a sport, but that sounds that's.
Speaker 1: What you can tell.
Speaker 2: I don't watch much sport for me to say that line.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, too funny.
Speaker 2: No, that that's amazing, And I love that you do. I love that you do that. I've actually heard that about athletes is like really envisioning, like, you know, winning the event and doing that side of things, but I've never actually spoken to them someone about it. That is very cool. Yeah, definitely, And so Morgan, one last thing I want to chat about, and then I'm going to let you go because I know it is late at night there, but I would love to chat about racism, and so I know this is a super tender topic and it's something that in twenty twenty people are a lot more conscious of, and it's you know, coming about on social media and huge waves, and I think it's amazing. So I really wanted to have this conversation with you. And I saw on Instagram you are quite passionate about ending racism, from being involved to protests to amazing campaigns, and you really spoke about first hand the heartache people can face from horrible behavior. And I read on your Instagram you said staying silent means staying put, and I'm sick of staying put. I absolutely love this line, and I just wanted to ask you how you felt and sort of your journey with coming to terms with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think obviously earlier in the year, especially like the George Floyd thing just you know, ignited the whole world. And in terms of that quote, it was kind of just like, there are so many small, different things throughout my life that I've had to experience from being half black that are just so unfair. And it wasn't until you've got you know, you kind of you made it feel like you're the only one experiencing it and you can't really open up to anyone. And it wasn't until those protests where you do see hundreds of thousands of people coming out with their stories, and that was the thing I thought far out, like, now's the time to actually speak up, like I'm not scared anymore because there are others out there like me, but who are so supportive and just want to see, you know, change in the world for the better, and like it's honestly everywhere. And it's quite hard because people think, oh, but you're an Olympian, you've been in a movie, You've got nothing to worry about. I'm like, well, shit, I've still been called d M word. People still stare at me when I have to go to events where I'm actually the guest speaker, and honestly, it's not until I speak and I tell them about my background and where I've come from and what I've done that then they want to actually, you know, include me in their little circle or give me their business cards and ask for help to promote their business and stuff like that. And you just it's very hard to explain to people because a lot of people don't experience it, and then you talk to a black person about it and they're like, damn, that's like me as well, Like no one really wants to give you the time of day until like, oh shit, she's an Olympian, like we better, you know, let's shower her and everything, and it's like yeah, but I'm also a human first, And I mean it's quite tough because growing up, I went to a very good primary school that was actually very diverse, and my mom, she's white, but she always taught me like just love from the heart. You know, it doesn't matter what people look like. If they're nice, you'd be nice back. So it never I just never understood why people are so mean to people just because of their skin color, Like it literally blows my mind. Or they leave them out because of their skin color, or you know. I was having this discussion with one of the ladies from the Domor Project, who's the that's the charity that I've actually aligned myself with. Not so much of a charity, but it's like an education type platform for people to speak on and so other people can learn about. And I just said, like, it's hard being a woman, but honestly being a black woman. It's like people look at you like it's the worst thing ever. They're like, oh my gosh, she's a woman and she's black, like far out. And I've had that a lot in my life, and I'm kind of lucky because I have had such a good support system. But I'm also quite strong in the sense that I don't I just don't think or want to let anyone get in my way just because of how they see me, you know, versus how I see myself. But it's always a really tough topic to speak on because trying to get like through to people that necessarily don't want to understand or just simply don't get it and don't want to get it, it's quite heartbreaking because they don't really like like it's they just don't know, like the setbacks and the tears, and you know, so many events that I haven't wanted to go to because I'm scared I'd be looked at differently, or if I do go to an event, I get called the token black girl, and it's like, shit, can I win? Like can I just be here to be here? Am I allowed to just you know, be a person and not be judged from the based on the color of my skin or you know whatever it is. So yeah, I mean it's a long fight, but I just tell a lot of people, you know, look at the LGBTQ community and women's rights. Look how far they've come. I mean, obviously it took a long time, but you know they're making progress and they're getting somewhere. Why can't we So it is possible. You just need a bit of heart. I think for.
Speaker 2: Sure, one hundred percent. I love I love also that you spoke about kind of you know, the tokenism about showing up at an event. And I think also, I think in Australia I've noticed is it's also in the sense of not even acknowledging it in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my gosh. That part just kills me.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and it's like it's a really And then so it's a really hard conversation to have because people aren't even acknowledging in the first place, and it's it's like a bit how can you even say.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, yeah, and then just think it's okay, or like the classic one I even hear is oh no, I'm allowed to say it. I have a black friend. I'm like, what I like that's just like that seriously blows my mind. Like if you have a black friend, you should be standing up for them, not you know, checking around the end word because you have a black friend. Like that just makes no sense to me whatsoever. Actually use your platform to you know, make a change. And but yeah, like we have a long way to go. I think in Australia, especially with Aboriginal people and their culture that like, I've learned so much this year and it's just heartbreaking. Like my dad's black, he's from America, He's African American. But then I feel like, you know, I've got to you know, I've got family over here. But then I'm an Australian and I obviously need to give back to the Aboriginal culture and want to learn more and do better myself, just to be more inclusive and learn from them and just see, you know, the things that they've gone through. Like you know, don't don't hate them for being angry. You've got to ask why they're angry. They're not just angry for no reason. So Clothing the Gap are doing such an amazing thing with raising awareness about Aboriginal culture and you know the fact that someone actually owns the Aboriginal flag and the fact they want it free so they can actually use it on their clothing and whatever have you. It's just even that it's like, how does that owner in their heart keep the first flag of this country under wraps for no one to use? You have to pay, like Aboriginal people have to pay to use it? Are you serious? Like is this seriously what the world we live in? It just blows my mind that people are so selfish.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, there's just sutrageous, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's just so much that needs to be done.
Speaker 2: So much, And I would love to know you did speak about that education platform that you're now aligned to do. I'd love to know if you. Yeah, so i'd love to know. Do you have any actionable tips for the listeners. Do you recommend them just going to the website or Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Definitely go to the website to find out more because they can point you in like a million different directions. And same with clothing.
Speaker 2: The gap amazing, Yeah, I just.
Speaker 1: Think Also it's like it's like, I mean, I have to do it every day, not so much in terms of racism, but other things. I really have to stop myself before I judge someone and correct my thinking, right, like, before you judge someone, just kind of think, why are you thinking that way? Why are you thinking that horrible thought just because of the color of their skin, or why do you feel uncomfortable? Like you have no reason, and they're just like it's kind of like you've got to rewire your own brain first to even just take the next few steps and then even bigger steps. It's like signing petitions and asking your friends and looking on the websites and just seeing how you can, you know, do more, how you can help free the flag and kind of just make it more of an inclusive place for everyone. And when I say like inclusive, and I mean safe and safe being that people don't feel awkward when they rock up to events or you know, younger black kids can actually go to parties and sporting events without being looked at weird or you know, told, oh, you're going to win this race because you're black. Like it just none of that should even come into the conversation. Just let them be kids, or you know, let them do their thing freely without being just by the color of their skin. That it's so important because it stays with you forever.
Speaker 2: Seriously, that is so important. I also I love what you said about sort of the first step of like reevaluating and shifting your own thoughts and being like, hang on, why am I judging that person? Or why am I thinking differently of that person and really starting there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And like I think it's just also it comes down to vulnerability, Like you're allowed to say, Okay, I've made a few mistakes. You know. I applaud people that are like, wow, I used to be that way, but I'm trying so hard to be a better person because we all make mistakes. You can't hate people for making mistakes and doing the wrong thing when half the time they don't even know it. But if you're making the effort to change, for me, it's just like a huge tick. I just think it's awesome. And I love people that are honest with themselves and just want to move forward, Like I just find that so admirable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And I love that you touched on that. So Morgan, You've achieved so much already and you've done so much. What is next for you?
Speaker 1: Quite funny, I don't know. Well, obviously the Olympics, not time. Yeah, yeah, it's like if they happen the Olympics and then I think I'm going to take like a good two month break after it and just try and explore other avenues. It's quite funny between you and I and like, oh, obviously all your readers are readers listeners, sorry, because I'm going to hear this. But it was a dream of mine. This is quite funny, Like always been a dream of a dream of mine to reenact, like do a revamp of cat Woman, you know, halle Berry back in the day. I want to like get into acting and just be like it's like seriously, that's like the next thing in my dream book. Like I am obsessed with halle Berry. I'm obsessed with that movie ever since I was little. I'm like, I'm going to be the next cat Woman. Yeah, and she looks so good for age, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ridiculous that it's yeah, I'm like featuring that movie right now, Like watch that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so good, amazing, moving cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh wow, we'll.
Speaker 1: Be watching Could you imagine? That would make my life? Like that's at the top of the bucket list, but I just can't act.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, keep putting, like keep putting that in your dream book.
Speaker 1: Keep going yeah, oh my god, you're getting tickets to the premiere because we've talked about it.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, okay, you have to do it now you heard it here first.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, thank you so much for sharing that with us. That's super and I love.
Speaker 1: It so amazing. Yes, okay, we'll see. Well, we'll be watching.
Speaker 2: The waiting and cheering you on from the sideline, whether it's the Olympics or Catwoman.
Speaker 1: So funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well again, sorry to wrap up this interview, and I just want to say, firstly, thank you so much for your time. You have been an absolute delight. But to wrap up this interview, another question that I ask all my Season three guests, and I'm here, I'm looking for a bit of a pep talk and I'm sure you'll give us a good one.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Basically, get ready for your inner coach to come out. But what do you tell yourself when you're stepping out of your comfort zone into the unknown and it feels very uncomfortable. How do you sort of push yourself to do it?
Speaker 1: Oh? See, the first thing that came to my mind was like, don't shoot yourself, but I would probably say, oh, that's such a good one. For me. The first thing I've always been told is breathe, breathe, and my mum drilled it into my head, like you just have to repeat if you don't know, if you don't try, you don't know, you know what I mean. So, yes, that's that's weird. Is perfect? Yeah for me, that's that's I mean. I guess I don't know if people want more, but it's just been so easy for me to be like, well shit, I mean, you don't know if you don't try it, so you might as well just get into it. But yet they're always going to start with breathing, for sure, because as soon as you tense up, everything falls to pieces. But if you're in the moment and breathing, I'm just going for it, you know, like life's too short. Especially this year, I think we've all learned just take risks. You've got nothing to lose. So yeah, that's probably what I would say, just plain and simple. I love it.
Speaker 2: I bloody love it. Well, Morgan, thank you so much. Like I said, I have enjoyed this conversation so much, and yeah, good luck with everything, and we cannot wait to watch you and see you do amazing things.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Thank you so much for having me Georgie. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And that is it for today's episode. Thank you so much for listening. I hope you enjoyed this chat. And guys, if you did love this episode, if you love the podcast, please give us a review or make sure you're subscribed. It really helps out the Rise and Conquer podcast. And if you do love the podcast and you love the conversations that we have, I think that you would love our Facebook group, So come and join us. It's just Rise and Conquer podcast community. And yeah, it's a private group where we chatted all things we do on the podcast. But thank you so much for listening. I'll chat to you in our next step. It was for me, there's no there's all the tough drinks, the