Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerni Whoalbury and a Wadery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that makes personal finance fun, especially on Fridays. It's our favorite day of the week because we get the team together today to celebrate you, our incredible She's on the Money community today, mister, she is going to be taking us through her favorite money wins from the community. Beck has a few broke tips for us. So believe you might have borrowed or as justin I say, liberated one from someone else. We're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma which This week is all about taxes and investing, and we're also going to unpack something you slid into our dams about. This week, we're chatting about navigating in laws that are overstepping when it comes to presents for your kids. I don't know how I feel about that one.
Speaker 4: I'm excited.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I am hard always what did you say? Just in law stuff? Anything you ever hear, it's always in laws.
Speaker 2: See. I always feel like all of the Reddit threads are like, oh my mother in law x Y said. I feel like I did one thing good and one thing bad when I got married. I married into a family that had a brilliant mother in law. But I also married into a family that runs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you can't like it. You can't have it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you can't have it all. But like, what do you mean you're still doing marathons ondays? They go for mornings. Yeah, I just meet them at the cafe. Yes. Yeah. And now we have a baby, you guys go on and run. I'll look after the babies at home.
Speaker 4: Is that why you have the baby. I would have a baby just so I could be like, I can't run. You guys say.
Speaker 2: Week and I was pregnant, like there was just yeah exactly or anyway, how have your weeks been, miss Beck? Say ed, what have you been up to?
Speaker 4: It's been a really nice week.
Speaker 6: My family came to Melbourne for like the well, my mom came once, but my younger brothers hadn't like come to visits o c.
Speaker 4: Seven years ago. It was really really nice.
Speaker 6: They met all my friends and like, it's so weeks. I have the whole world here, a whole like family here and obviously my family in Sydney as well, but the two haven't really integrated. Yeah, like not meshs in They haven't. They literally haven't, And so it was really nice for my two worlds to come together and be like, oh, there's this, like there's a whole shit.
Speaker 2: Isn't making up having your girlfriend?
Speaker 6: Everyone's real, everyone exists and everyone gets along so well. And it was just like it was a perfect weekend. It was really really nice.
Speaker 2: Love that. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Other than that, nothing really Heckedy, it's been going on, just good living life, live love, laugh, live love laugh.
Speaker 5: What about you, Jess, I I mean a fight with my property managers juicy juicy, Yes again, I fear I am being petty. I don't I know I'm being petty.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, is this like one of those I am? I the ass whole moment? All right, tell us the story.
Speaker 5: So our rent, I think our least or like our month starts on like the fifteenth or something. But in our lease it says your rent will be ebbitted on the twelfth, which is totally fine. We find the least. We knew that we agreed to that.
Speaker 2: That's really annoying because you get paid on the fifteenth.
Speaker 5: It's fine. I have it all set up so it like cash.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, but that would be so frustrated.
Speaker 5: A little irritating, but it's fine. We work around it. We knew that when we signed it. So this month they took our money out on the tenth or they attempt it's an autod debit. They attempted to auto debbit and it bounced because the money wasn't in there because, as I said, auto transfers. Yes. Now, when we signed our least, a little bit of context, it said that all of the payment methods incurred a fee. And I said to them, because I used to work in property, I was like, you actually in Victoria are legally required to provide me at least one payment method option that does not incur a fee, like that's the loss. And they were like, oh, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: I would not want to mess with Jess.
Speaker 5: I read the t's and c's people anyway, so they at the time they're like, okay, you can direct debit it. That is the method that doesn't incur the feet. So when this auto transfer didn't go through on the tenth, I got a text from our property manager saying, hey, like, you need to manually process it because the direct debit didn't work. There's gonna be like a ninety cent fee for it. And I said, why am I paying a ninety cent fee? And she said, well, it's only you know, the method that you're using to pay in curs a fee to release the money. And I said, okay, but I like the money didn't come out because you tried to take it out early, Like if you've taken it out on the day that we legally agree to in this binding document, the money was available. And she basically tried to say, oh no, well, the you know that it's just the system, Like the system's work, you have to do it it's the only thing is available that's really weird.
Speaker 2: But you're in breach of your contract. Correct.
Speaker 5: So I paid her like straight away. I transferred the money minus the ninety cent fee, and so and so I got a text last night from my proberty manager saying, hey, like you're we need ninety cents to release it to the like owners. And I said, that's a business expense. I'm not paying the ninety cent fee. And they said, well, you should have the money available in your account four days before the money is due.
Speaker 4: To literally, we're alle her.
Speaker 5: And my exact words were, can you please show me where in my lease it says the money will be debitted on the tenth of the month. And I got no response, and.
Speaker 2: I forgot no respond thing since.
Speaker 5: And I feel I know that I'm kind of being as because can I pay the ninety cents obviously, but the principle of the matter, I get that don't want to pay it because I'm not in the wrong.
Speaker 2: I was like, ould check pay the ninety cents.
Speaker 5: I feel like, I'm sure there's property managers listening to this right now, being like you are why I hate my job, but we are good tenants, like We've never ever missed our brant. It's always come out on time. We look after the house like.
Speaker 2: I've got no doubt, and like it's so frustrating because like that property manager is probably going to be like, screw it, I'll just pay the ninety cents to her out of my own pocket because it's the system, not them. But at the same time, but at the same time, it's not your problem. And as the property manager, they should be making sure that the systems work for both the landlords and the tenants. Because if I owned an investment property and I found out that the people I was paying to manage my property were trying to take money off my tenants early, I'd be pretty pissed off totally. I'd be like, I'm sorry, that's not how we do business here. That's not how that works. Like you might also like, let's dive a little bit deeper into this, because I am, if not anything crazy. What if you had that money invested, that's two days of interest that you're missing out on because they tried to take your money early.
Speaker 5: Well, that's why I have it like it moves over a day before, so it's like no matter what time they try to take it out on the twelfth. It's always we move it over on the eleventh. But I wanted to sitting in my account as long as possible. So I'm like, well, that's interest that I'm that's literally why I do it that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so it's literally that Isn't that insane to think that? I don't know, I just feel like that's so sneaky of them to take it early.
Speaker 4: It's such just do that was like it was a Friday.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 5: They like, if it's an automatic system, it should just auto debit on whatever debt during any I don't know. Part of me is like, just suck it up and it's fine, But then part of me is like, no, stick it to the man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I agree with You're in the right.
Speaker 5: And this is how like people get taken advantage of exactly the little things go and then all of a sudden, your rent's being jacked up six hundred percent I don't know exactly.
Speaker 6: And before you know it, they'll be like, oh, you just have to pay a small fee of like fourteen dollars, and then it's like you just you know, you just want to you want to stop it. Right there and be like, hey, I know the rules and I know that this is not allowed. So whether it's ninety cents or ninety dollars, you do.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is e learning though for everybody in the community. One, you legally are entitled to a payment method that doesn't incur fee in that'sia of the state, but like worth looking into for other states really, because those little things do add up. Also, direct debit. I love a direct abbit. I love not thinking about it. My phone villain stuff is on direct ebbit and I always get a text saying, oh, on this date, we're going to be taking it out of your thing, and I'm like, great, I'm an adhd girly. If you send me an invoice and say hey, v this is oh wing, I'll be like fantastic, of course I'll pay you. And then I shut my phone and I've forgotten that I had to do anything, and I'm like, do you want to go to maccuz Like I am a goldfish. So the idea that you can direct debit things and set things up is perfect, but now they're just causing you even more.
Speaker 5: Admin Jess, So why am I the asshole? It's probably probably managed, being like, yes you are. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: It's just I'm making your job hard. But I'm also just asking to be treated with respect and taking my money early is not respectful.
Speaker 6: Four days arbitrary, like you had to have the money in there four days before processing?
Speaker 4: Where did that come from all of a sudden?
Speaker 5: And that's what I four days. Yeah, that's what they tried to say to me.
Speaker 2: They were like, what if I don't have the money four days book exactly? Just tell her you get paid on the eleventh, Be like sorry. And if they ask for an employment contract, call me and it'd be like, I will make an employment contract to make a point, be like, just didn't have the money because she doesn't get paid till the day before. And that's why I sheel so comfortable with the twelve being her payment date.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about this and I was like, what's the outcome here? Like either ibend or dybend. And my partner was like, what happens?
Speaker 2: What does your partner say? Because I feel like he's a little bit more passive like you are. You are a lot like no, I'm going to stick it to the man, and your partner is going to be like jes pay the ninety cents.
Speaker 5: I stormed into his study through the door open last night when I was texting him and I was like, I'm not paying.
Speaker 2: And you're like paying, what give me some content?
Speaker 5: Like I've no idea what you're talking about. And he's like, Okay, that's cool, and he said, what, like what happens, Like if you don't pay and they go you have to pay and you don't like what happens? And I was like, well, theoretically, worst case scenario, it goes into a reason, it goes to VCA. And he's like, would you go to VCA over ninety cents? And I was like, I reckon. I would, Yes, I reckon the people.
Speaker 2: You know what this is telling me about me? Yes, this is telling me she doesn't have enough work.
Speaker 6: You're yeah, you have done nothing wrong. Technically, would all be on your side? They would be on your side.
Speaker 2: I will pay your ninety cents?
Speaker 5: Is giving ninety suing the dude for a dollar?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was pretty iconic, though.
Speaker 4: I don't know what happened there, but I don't know if that's on.
Speaker 2: The same page anyway, Moving on, it's just agreed. You've been in the Facebook group this week. So I have been replying to a few of the money wins because I've been like, hey, that slip. What have you pulled out of the group to share with the community this week?
Speaker 5: All right, starting off with a little bit of a self serving one, but it just brought me a lot of joy from Maddie, who said, after months of binging the podcast, she's officially listened to every single episode.
Speaker 2: Wow, we have one hundreds, we have more than six hundred episodes.
Speaker 5: Yes, wow, that's impressive, simply a matter of months. Well done, Maddie. It is really exciting to me that, like we can obviously see on the back end people listening, like what episodes people listen to? Yeah, yeah, crazy that people still listen to episode number one, and like quite a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Really embarrassing too, So yeah, maybe don't do that. But if you've done that, thank you. I really appreciate it. But oh I can't do it. I don't know if you know about this editing process, but I don't listen to any of our podcasts back. That's why I'm so grateful to have our producer, Emma, and we've got an audio engineer. They do all of it. Because if you ask me to listen to my own voice, I basically just I throw it. I can't. I can't do it. It gives me the heavy GB save, which is hilarious because my entire career is currently built on my voice. But I won't have a bar of it. I'm like, ew, David.
Speaker 5: Ooh, well done, Maddie and anyone else who's listening, can't wait for you to catch up here. Next, I've got a money in from Candace who said she went to Savers and got her toddler an entire twenty five piece summer wardrobe, squirts, t shirts, shorts, skirts, cardies, the whole shebang. Some of it was brand new with tags, and it was under seventy dollars for the lot.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to say, there's heaps of kids stuff at the up shop, Like, I have a friend who also loves to thrift, and sometimes if I find something really cute for her kids, I'll just buy it, like you wash it. I don't think that's weird.
Speaker 2: I bought literally, my mum and I were walking down the main street on the weekend and we walked past the oup shop and we can't not go in an up shop like I always have to look. And I bought a new Bonds onesie, like it's just bonds, but I had a brand new tag on it and it was three dollars again exactly, and it was real cute. And I was like, that's Harve size and you always need more onesies. So money win, well done.
Speaker 5: Next, I've got a money win from at Tinneil, who said she finally took the leap to invest the ten dollars that she had gotten from cheers EA's when she signed up with the SotM code. She looked at it the other day and it's gone up by five cents.
Speaker 2: Your money that you didn't make making money for you and you're going to get rich, small fish.
Speaker 5: But I didn't spend a cent and I already have a return.
Speaker 2: Have you invested anymore? How's that going extra? You don't have to put extra in? Have you been like shuffling things around? I know that you hadn't invested the full amount yet.
Speaker 6: I am well, actually currently it's all in one. I believe it's an e F T the ETF.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Yes, it's an inn in the ETF.
Speaker 6: This I love this ffos, isn't it yeah, meaning I spent it.
Speaker 2: We're getting there.
Speaker 5: And next I've got a money in from Renee, who said she's another person slowly making away through the podcast from the beginning, but she listened to a specific episode. It was the Money Diary called is It Worth It? Let Me Work It from twenty twenty, and that Diaris mentioned that whenever she decides not to make an impulsive purchase, she transfers the amount of money that she would have spent straight into her savings. So Renee listened to the episode started to implement that, and she said she's saved an extra one hundred and forty bucks in a week.
Speaker 4: Howry?
Speaker 2: Is that crazy? I also really love that people are one listening to our old episodes. But there's always like really tiny tips and tricks throughout all of our episodes that might resonate with you or might not like that might not have worked for somebody else, but she's like, oh my gosh, this really works for me. I love that you're picking up so many things from old content. Also, can we just like appreciate how good I used to be at NAM Yeah? I used to try so hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I'm sure that director is really excited to know that her little tip helped someone else too. And then lastly, this week, I have money in from Madeleine who said she sold some stuff on Facebook marketplace over the weekend. She made an extra seven hundred dollars, putting it towards her daughter's Christmas present.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred bucks.
Speaker 5: I said it last week or the week before, I don't remember. It's spring cleaning season. People sell it, sell it when you clean it out because you'd be amazed at what people will buy.
Speaker 2: So I did this last season, and I mean, let's be honest, I was also pregnant, so I didn't fit in a lot of my outfits, so it felt productive during that period of time. But I turned all of my coat hangers around the opposite way in my wardrobe so that I could start tracking what I was actually reaching for and what I hadn't touched. And that was like a year ago. And I just went through my wardrobe over the weekend and pulled out so many things that I thought were cute that I actually don't wear because it's been more than twelve months since I've even reached for them, because the code hang is still around the wrong way. So that's a tip. That you could definitely implement if you're someone like me who I struggled to separate from items. Sometimes I'm like, oh, but I might wear it, Victoria, it's been in your wardrobe for two years, untouched, Like, you don't need that.
Speaker 5: Once you sell a few things, it's like a high You're like, what else can you are?
Speaker 2: A deep pop queen though, like and you also like style your items to a tea. It was so funny. Actually, I was looking up Scanlan Theodore on Deep Hop because those dresses are my favorite, but they are so expensive, and I was like, that looks familiar and it was I was like, not what I'm looking for, but pop off just I clicked it and I was like, oh, that looks really cute. That looks like Jess. It's Jess.
Speaker 5: That is hilarious.
Speaker 4: I know exactly.
Speaker 5: The rest hasn't sold yet. Once it's going cheap moneymaze it. That's all the money winds I've got this week.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: Great, great, great winds.
Speaker 2: Alright, what broke tips have you got to bring to the tape?
Speaker 4: Okay, so did you say the word lubrated before?
Speaker 2: Did I get that right?
Speaker 5: No? That lubrated. I liberated, liberated, liberated, sorry uberrated. Liberated might be something else. I feel like that's something very different. Liberated.
Speaker 6: Well, I was gonna say, great that you've mentioned lubrated because this is my tip for the week, but I will actually cut.
Speaker 4: That one out.
Speaker 6: So anyway, let's go straight into the two from the community. The first one comes from of our listeners who sent me a photo of an advert from her library. So it's called library Things. I think this is Queensland, this is Townsville. But I'm sure how did you say Queensland Queensland?
Speaker 5: She said Queensland, Queensland.
Speaker 2: Maybe they say lubrated in queens.
Speaker 4: That's where we got it from.
Speaker 6: Yes, so Queensland, in Townsville in particular, but I'm sure there are other places around Australia. So this place you can, you know, obviously, not only borrow books. You can get board games, science equipment, musical instruments, sewing equipment, which I think board games.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 6: It's so cool, Like we have mentioned things like sewing equipment and stuff like that before, but like science equipment, I didn't know there was a thing in board games.
Speaker 2: I think it's incredible, Like if you have questions what are you doing with science equipment at home? Like why do you think borrow?
Speaker 6: Mainly for you know, because right now it's it's holidays, school holidays everywhere?
Speaker 4: Or is it just in Victoria.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't even know where to start. The only science thing that I know of is mixing by cub with vinegar and creating a volcano is timeless in school, maybe like.
Speaker 4: The stars or something.
Speaker 6: There was today a telescope, Yes, exactly, I could. And the other reason because there's a kid in this photo with a telescope.
Speaker 2: That's perfect.
Speaker 6: Board games if you just want to entertain your kids, love a board game, love for board game. Oh my goodness, don't get me starting on the board games. Okay, I love Gatan.
Speaker 2: We have mentioned this, but we're having a night soon, so you'll have to Yeah. Yeah, yeah, goodness.
Speaker 4: I'm really really, genuinely really excited for that.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, it's on.
Speaker 1: It's on. Yes.
Speaker 6: The sexual comes from Michelle, who suggests waiting till February to buy your yearly diary or calendar because they have.
Speaker 4: To die socially.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it's great because January and if you want to even just write it on like a notepad and wait until you get your diary or calendar and then enter all the things.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't really use diaries calendar.
Speaker 5: Sometimes they're like ninety percent off, like they go Yeah. I think they get to a point where businesses are just like get them out of here, no one's going to buy them now.
Speaker 2: If I'm being honest, I am the person that will wait till February to buy my calendar. Yeah, and then I use it for a month and then forget it exists. Yes, me too, so motivated to use it, and they'll go down to Kiki k and buy a really esthetic one and it'll be like this is my year, yes, and then it's not my year, and so I make the resolution to make it my year the next year. Totally do that on repeat, and I have di for the last thirty three years.
Speaker 6: Absolutely so really like that day when you go out and you buy a calendar that or a diary or a journal, that's when you spring.
Speaker 2: It just feels good.
Speaker 6: It feels really good, but only the strongest of us and we stare it.
Speaker 2: Follow up, I just have to use my phone calendar. Like at the end of the day having outlook it just it beats it. I'm just not a paper diary girlie.
Speaker 6: No, I mean the thoughts there, and I think that's all that matters, isn't it. Okay, This next one comes from me aka producer, our producer. You liberated it from Emma.
Speaker 2: I liberated it, not liberted it, liberated it from Memo.
Speaker 4: Not yet.
Speaker 6: So this one is for all of my Meredith girlies and boys and they them's. It's for if you're like me and you don't want to be spending like, what is it like four hundred and fifty dollars now on.
Speaker 4: A crazy ticket to Meredith.
Speaker 2: You are not getting me to spend four hundred and fifty dollars to wear gum boots? Absolutely not, absolutely not. You want me definitely. No, we're not gramping, like why glamp? Just go to a hotel. Just go to a hotel. And that sounds so entitled. But even the money aside, I'm going to just stay home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true. Can't afford it.
Speaker 2: No, it's not even about affording it glamping. Why did you pack your entire life up?
Speaker 4: I do agree.
Speaker 2: You have all of those creature comforts, which I totally get I could have just stayed at home. I could have just stayed home and not packed.
Speaker 6: It is the worst part of Meredith is knowing that you all you want to do at the end of the night or the end of the early early morning is go home to your.
Speaker 4: Bed, but you have to lay in the.
Speaker 5: Dirty from everything. Is that way everyone camps like is it here nowhere? Yeah?
Speaker 6: It is quite fat and also like you want to be driving around at that time, you know, to go back to your hotel.
Speaker 2: I do feel like I should preface this as well, because I think if you've not met me properly, you might go, oh, Victoria hasn't tried camping. She doesn't get it. Guys, was a scout. Not only was I a scout, I was a venturer. I was a very cool teenager. I did jamboree, I did cubbery. I did all of those things. Like I did all of the camping things, all of the hiking things. I have the experience to say, stay at home, scream cool. I was actually there called thank you, I'll say the captain of the debating team. So so she didn't see that coming.
Speaker 4: Oh that's very I did not see that coming. So I usually use.
Speaker 6: I'm sure like those who go to Meredith probably are in the Meredith ticket by swap cell groups and things like that, but I did not.
Speaker 4: Know about this.
Speaker 6: It's called Auntie's Unofficial Ticket Swap, and I did this a few years ago, but it was very, very very by chance. It was a complete fluke. I got really cheap tickets at the last minute, and I've been trying to do that every year since end up not going. But if you go to Auntie's un Official ticket Swap, you wait till the last minute, maybe a couple days in advance. People start getting stressed, like I can't go anymore. I need to sell this ticket, and they tend to give them away very cheap.
Speaker 2: That's a good money win, because you don't want to be stuck with a five hundred dollars ticket that you can't use, knowing that somebody else really wanted to use it.
Speaker 4: Got some cash exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: So keep an eye out and don't be like me. The last couple of years, I couldn't go just because I was waiting. I would wait until the Saturday of Meredith. You're in sa nighttime and the Sunday morning be like Hey, guys, I'm still I still will take a ticket.
Speaker 4: Have you got four hours?
Speaker 6: Not yet, because I am going to wait to get So.
Speaker 2: Should we do a little call out right now and say, if you're planning on selling your ticket, peck might like them.
Speaker 4: I might like them. I'll pay reasonable price. That is my book to week.
Speaker 2: I love that. I feel like this has been very well rounded, very lubricated. Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to have a chat that probably only I'm interested in, and that's about taxes and investing. Then we're going to unpack something that you're slead into our DMS about. This week, we talked about navigating in laws who overstep when it comes to purchasing kids' presence. So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's Money Dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hi, Ve Beck and Jess. I just want to say I'm a huge fan of the podcast and I have a money dilemma and it's about micro investing. So I currently have two microinvesting platforms set up, but I'd like to move approximately two thousand dollars from one platform to the other. And I just wanted to find out what the tax implications were of this or anything else that I would need to keep in mind. Thank you so much. Bye.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is a really good question because so many people go from micro investing platforms and then graduate to a bigger platform or they just want to switch and change. And like, Jess, I know you and I have been on spaceship and we've both had rais and like we kind of like mess around with lots when we're finding our feet in investing land. So the unfortunate thing is, while you said you want to move two thousand dollars, I don't know how much of that is profit. So it's quite challenging to give advice on that. Let's pretend for a hot second, though, that it's just two grands straight, there's going to be a few things to take into consideration. So the first thing is has that money been invested for more than twelve months. If so, you're in a good position because yes, while you'll still have to pay capital gains tax on that, the profit will be taxed at fifty percent your marginal tax rate. If you own an asset for less than twelve months, make a profit and then sell, the profit will be tax at your marginal tax rate. And we pay tax on money that we earn. In saying that, if it's two thousand dollars that has been I guess roundups, So maybe you've rounded up every single purchase and it's been over the last twelve months, and yeah, you haven't been invested for that long. But like most of that two thousand dollars is actually your own cash that you've put in. There's not going to be any tax payable on that because it's not profit. It's just your cash that's been put to the side. You actually already paid tax on that when it came into your bank account. But we are only paying tax on money that we earned. I think so many times people are really stressed because they go, oh my god, jesz, like I've got two grand invested. What am I going to be taxed? Or is that two thousand dollars profit? Or is that two thousand dollars that like you chipped away and built out, But it hasn't been invested for long enough to have been able to compound yet, So therefore you're not in that tricky of a situation. Unfortunately, when you're selling and moving from a micro investing platform because of the way that you own that asset, that asset is owned in the same way that an ETF is, and that's under a trust, which means you can't just transfer it to another platform without triggering a CGT event. So when you trigger a CDT event, it means you have to pay some tax. Sometimes, like let's pretend you owned and I always use a nab share. I don't know why, but let's say you own a nab share direct through like comseec jess and you wanted to move it to another platform. If you transferred it, you would do this is probably getting a little bit technical, but like we like to know, you would do what's called an interspecies transfer. And when you do that you're just moving from one platform to another, but you're never selling anything. But when you're selling down from a micro investing platform, you can't do that. You actually have to sell down that entire asset and then buy something on another platform. Therefore, you are going to trigger a tax event. And in this situation, you are triggering a capital gains tax event, which means that you need to pay tax on your profit. Does that make sense?
Speaker 5: It what happens if you sell it at a loss.
Speaker 2: If you sell it at a loss, you get a little certificate in your tax, meaning that in the coming years you can offset the profit that you make, which is really cool. And let's say that you have a couple because you said that you had two different platforms. Let's say the one that you're selling you're making a loss, but the other one you've made a profit in that same year. You can claim both on your tax and they'll offset one another.
Speaker 5: Oh money in It's actually pretty easy. I sold down my spaceship actually this year. I moved it because I haven't use it anymore. No, and I exactly that I was waiting because it was at a pretty significant loss. I was just waiting for it to bounce back up and yeah, got close enough. I still sold it at a loss, but it got close enough too, but you can claim that on your tax Well that's exactly right. I was like, it'll offset what I got through my chares, used tends, whatever. But it's really simple. When you close your account, they'll generally give you like some kind of certificate or form that says you sold x amount, this is your profit slash loss, and that's what you used to input at tax time. Yeah, and hold of that.
Speaker 2: And when you sell down, you're not losing your account, so you can still log in and get all your tax reporting. So it's not like deleting your account. I mean, you can do that in the future, but what I would do is trigger the sale, and then after you've triggered the sale, you can go and download all of your tax reports, including you know, what you sold it for, so was it a profit or a loss? Save that for later, and then if you want to close your account then you can, but I'd wait to make sure that I have all the reporting so it doesn't get messy in saying that. If you have closed it, you can just email the company and they'll be able to generate it for you, and that shouldn't be in issues, just another step of admin. And Jess doesn't pay ninety cents for admin.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I I feel like that was a good but very technical question. So there's not a lot of like, Jess, what would you do? But I don't want you giving that advice this time, Jess, because let's be honest. I know I'm right. But that is also why we've just added a bonus module to my Investing Masterclass as well, all about taxes, because we get a lot of questions and while throughout the course we do cover taxes, I wanted to have a really specific module so that there's like old clarity. I was just like, all right, let's make sure that this exists and that there's bonus modules. And that's actually something that I'm getting really excited about. We keep adding all of these bonus modules. Hasn't even come out yet, just like people aren't even in the course yet officially, and I keep being like, what about a bonus module on this? What about a bonus module on that? And the cool thing is if you are part of the Investing Masterclass, you have lifetime access and any bonus content I create in the future will appear on your course as well, even if you you know, started right now. It's not for like other people. It's not to sell even more of it. It's literally to add more value to the people that are already in the course because we've all got questions and it's my job to answer them.
Speaker 5: Amazing. There's I think one week left to sign up, so there is, and.
Speaker 2: Will put a little cheeky discount code in the show notes as well, So if you've been thinking about signing up now as a time my friend exciting. Do you want to get into a little sneaky DM that we got this week? Guys? Yes, absolutely, Becky's drawing an Apple Core. Are you awa that boring?
Speaker 4: Do you want me to draw on for you?
Speaker 2: Nope, I don't want it at all. All right, here is our DM of the week. Hey, she's on the money. I'm a parent with a bit of a dilemma. Money's always been tight since having my kids, and I can't afford to go all out for their birthday's lack. I'd want to. It's tough, but I've been doing my best to make it special with thoughtful gifts and quality time. The problem is my in laws always swoop in and outshine me with big, expensive presents. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate their generosity, but it's starting to make me feel really inadequate. I'm the parent, and I want to be the one who creates the happiest memories for my child. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but it's really getting to me. How can I make sure my child remembers the love not the price tag?
Speaker 6: I think, honestly, like kids don't know. It's really like, you know, it could be different for every scenario. I don't know what they're buying, but kids don't know how much things are worth. They have no concept of money.
Speaker 2: Are we talking like twelve year olds who yeah, starting to ask for things from Mecca? Are are we talking like two and three? And like they're just like the cardboard box, you.
Speaker 6: Know, totally totally. And also like I feel like we all have those relatives. I mean that's really privileged to say. I feel like some of us have those relatives that like, you know, when you'd go visit your grandparents, like they're going to give you twenty dollars secretly, like you just know that there are certain people in your world that give you certain things, and it's really exciting.
Speaker 4: Like I remember, like.
Speaker 6: I still associate my dad's side of the family with biscuits, and I still associate my mommar with twenty dollars every now and then, you know, So we all like kind of get little things from from every kind of part of our life. And it's not all about like monetary value whatsoever. I can totally understand that you having full understanding, like full idea, the full picture of like what money means and how how important it is to you and all that kind of stuff I understand for you, you can totally see that that would well, that like does make you feel inadequate, like I can't spend this amount of money or likes and therefore I feel like I'm not doing enough what they're doing more or whatever. But honestly, with the kids, like they're not gonna they don't have that kind that's.
Speaker 2: I don't remember. Honestly, I don't remember it at all. Jess. What he do remember from growing up and getting gifts is literally.
Speaker 5: Like thinking back, like I can't can barely remember any of the gifts I ever got, and the things that I do remember will experience things that I did my parents, like, I remember one, Yeah, we went to Disney on Ice, And I don't remember a single bit.
Speaker 2: That I was so jealous of all the kids that got to go to that I never went, but that would have.
Speaker 5: Been so sure we went once because it was very far out of our realm of a form of affordability. But I don't remember single thing about the show. I don't remember anything, like I'm probably didn't buy anything the because we probab couldn't aford Just what I remember is like the way that my parents told me is that it had like rained that day and there was a rainbow and they're like, oh, like, let's follow the rainbow. And somehow they've done, Oh I think the rainbow's going left when you know whatever, They're like, we're going to and it was like that's what I remember totally. Other little experiences that I remember through my childhood were things like that that were thought like that particular part of my memory cost them no money, do you know what I mean? Of course, the fact that Disney on Ice is charch To, and I know that that's really expensive, but that is not what I remember.
Speaker 2: With you remember how they made that experience magic completely.
Speaker 5: And I think there's lots of little ways that you can do that that don't cost you anything. And I wouldn't undervalue that because like, the way that someone makes you feel is so much more important than the monetary value of something. And to flip the narrative, I think that if you can change your mindset, I think it would be really helpful because as someone who kind of is that relative, like for myself and my partner, for our nieces and nephews, we don't have a house, we don't have kids, we have no significant financial responsibilities. I'm say, I'm fine, Auntie, I buy you dumb expensive things like you something stupid and expensive, Yeah, I'll buy it, Like Mum and Dad can't justify spending a heap, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think just has ever come to my house, not with a present for Harvey and I'm like, what is this? And she's like it was just so cute? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: It's and I think from my perspective, it's coming from a place of lum it's coming from a place of oh, well I can do these things, let me do them so you don't have to. And it would like, if I thought that I was making my brother and sister in law feel bad, it would break my heart. That's not the intention at all. So I think I totally want to validate how you're feeling, because if you want to be buying those things and you can't afford them, I get that that sucks. But I think if we can try and reframe the mindset to be like, how good that you know my mother in law wants to buy these things for my kids and can buy these things for my kids, how can I like, if you play with them, Let's say they buy them one of those really expensive ride on car things. Like that's the first thing I thought of when I don't know why, when I.
Speaker 2: Heard the story's Bentley that drives. If you ever see Harvey in one of them, wasn't me? It's not yeah, not happening, That's what I picched it.
Speaker 5: But like, let's say they do that, Like you get the memories of playing with them, build a racetrack from cardboard in the backyard and drive them around, and you can still be a part of that memory even if you're so true by.
Speaker 6: It, and like arguably probably the most memorable part of that memory is like you enjoying that with them and not the actual who bought.
Speaker 4: It for me.
Speaker 6: You have no You probably like look back and have no idea where a lot of these things came from. You just remember the memories, as you were saying, of experiencing that fun and that playfulness and that magic with the people that you experienced. Either could be the parents, could be anyone. Yeah, but the memories of what really really matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I totally agree with that.
Speaker 5: And what do you think?
Speaker 2: I guess I'm in this really weird position where this is like triggered a heap of memories about my childhood and my birthdays. And when I asked you, like, what do you remember? I was like, what do I remember? And I remember that on our birthdays, Mum would still make us go to school if it was a school day, but we got to pick what we had for dinner. So we never went out for dinner, but we got to pick. And I always remember telling my mum that I wanted corn beef for dinner because it was my favorite, but it wasn't. It was my dad's favorite, and I knew that that's what he would really want. And then I remember we would always make a cake, so and we got to be in complete control of that cake. And my sister and I went through this massive phase of always wanting to make a Mars bar cheese cake, and so we would do that, and when we were younger, Mum would help, and as we got older, we'd like make it for each other. And that's something that as I've become a parent, I'm not thinking about the things that I can buy hervey. In fact, we're really privileged that we can afford nice gifts. But I really don't want him to become entitled. I want him to be grateful for these things. But I hope he grows up with the same like magic memories, Like I hope that you know, I can chase a rainbow for him, and I hope that he gets as excited about going through the Woman's Weekly Cookbook and picking his birthday cake and like remembers that that's the effort we put in for him. Because now I'm an adult, I went out and I bought the Women's Weekly Cookbook so that he can have that tradition. So I think it's been as a new parent. There's been a lot of conversation with my husband around like how do we make these things special? Like how now that we're parents, are we celebrating my husband's birthday because I want Harvey to be part of that, but I don't want it to be. Okay, Well, on dad's birthday, we get him a gift and that's it. So we're implementing the cake thing for everybody. And I think that that's really cute. But yeah, for me, it's about maybe stepping back and going Is it because I feel inadequate because I know I really want to give my kid this thing and I can't, Or is it because they're taking the limelight? What's that? And also what does that limelight look like? Does it look like they're getting the expensive present on the day of their birthday and you're feeling a little bit like, oh, but you've forgotten the week after who gave it to them? Because they got so many different birthday presents and books and cars and toys and whatnot. And then next week they're playing with it. You're enjoying that experience. Maybe we need to step and do the investing mindset of when in daubt zoomunt like what's the bigger picture, what story and what narrative are we teaching our kids about this, because if Jess comes over with a present for my kid and he's not six months old, he's a bit older. The thing I would want Harvey to get out of that is gratitude, Like, wow, isn't that so generous of Jess. Isn't it so nice that she took the time to go to the shops and think of you and pick out a present that she thought you would love. And I just hope that that's what he takes from it, not like sick I got a car, like I just I wouldn't ever want him to be expectant of those presents. So just like, wow, that's extra generous of Jess. Jess must really love you, Like yeah, I hope that that's what he gets from it. But that's me, you know, wistfully thinking with a six month old, and maybe when you've got a little five year old who's like, a ha, Jess is the best? You're so silly, mom, Like I'll have a different opinion, you know, did everyone else say so? We asked the community, would it bother you if your in laws overshadowed your gifts? Forty four percent of you said yep, I'm a parent, I get that. Fifty six percent of you said nut wouldn't bother me. Then we asked if this was a problem, would you say something. Fifty three percent of you said, yep, boundaries are really important. Forty seven percent of you said, we're avoiding the drama. We also then said all right, what's your two cents? And we had a lot of different opinions, which is not surprising. So the first comment I've pulled out is I text both families for birthdays and Christmases, and I just tell them what to buy.
Speaker 5: Families probably appreciate that too, Like if someone told me this is what the kid wants or the kid needs, I'd be like, great less brain power for me?
Speaker 2: Why I always ask? So, like I went to I want to say my nephew's second birthday, but it's my best friend's son's second birthday on the weekend. I actually had a really busy weekend, and I text her and said, what does he need? Like I'd much prefer to buy something that's constructive, and she was like, oh, your presence is our present getting the pin Like I want to this kid something. So I found something that I thought was going to be constructive, but I'm always asking, and I think if you're the aunt, like can you just ask, yeah, what do you need? Like time's are tough, money is tired. If there's a fifty dollars item that you're willing to buy, can we make it really constructive? Like they might need a new backpack for daycare. Oh that would be a weight off mum and dad's shoulders. And the kid's going to be stoked that they've got a new backpack, you know, Like, yeah, make it constructive. The next comment we got was not all kids value expensive gifts. Get to know your child's love language. I feel like that's a really good thing to remember. And again I'm having these conversations with my husband. I'm like, Harve, you's a legit human, Like, isn't it weird, Like he's only six months. You can't talk to us yet, but like he's got thoughts and feelings and he likes some things and he doesn't like other things, and like he's not us, So like, what is your kid's love language? Because some kids would be like, oh my god, how great is this item? And others would be like I really wanted to go to the park with you today and you just copped out and got me a bike. Two other comments, we've got the other end of the spectrum. My partner's dad doesn't usually buy anything for our kids. And someone said, take the kids camping, so when you're back, the birthday is over and it's not relevant anymore. All right, take the kids to Meredith. Someone else said this is me. I'm the aunt who spoils the kids, and I am not sorry about it.
Speaker 5: Nah, fair enough. It's competition people the best art.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to train rival you. Someone else said presence don't last, but mum's love does, really, and then there were a couple more so. Someone said, I believe you can make it super special for kids without any fancy expensive gifts. And then the last comment will share is stop comparing yourself. It's not about the money that your in law is spent. It's actually the thought that matters, and you can teach your kid that. So I think that's just coming from a place of love, and I guess that's where you know. I'm really grateful that people buy presents for Harvey, but I just I worry so much about bringing up an entitled kid. I don't want that, and I just I think it's really about the values that you instill in your kids. I'm like, kids aren't going to get it, Like, you know, they're tiny human beings and they're yeah, okay, cool, but just gave me hot wheels. Like, but it's that consistent messaging, and it's the underlying tone of like, Okay, well, let's thank Jess for that because that was very kind of Jess, and all of those things that you can teach your kid because yeah, it's not about the money. No, I don't remember any of the presents I got as a kid.
Speaker 5: You're entitled to set boundaries if you need to, but I think that, yeah, reframing the way you look at it, in my mind, is probably the way to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also like, does it get complicated if you block them from doing that and then it creates this drama?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I be like, oh, I'm anxious now. I don't know how much.
Speaker 6: I don't know what to do, what to bring, I don't know how to even give the child the gifts. Act really not that excited or act what do I like? You just analyze yourself so much. If someone's like, hey, I don't like what you're doing here, it becomes a. It's a whole thing, like I don't know what to do with my body right now, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they also maybe step into their shoes. Why are they doing that? Are they the jests of the family and they want to be the favorite aunt or are they just like, oh my gosh, Harvey's gonna love this and they just get so excited to do it, and then it's kind of taking the shine off. I don't know. I feel like both sides of the spectrum are valid, but I would step back when in doubt. Zoom out exactly.
Speaker 4: Good one.
Speaker 2: Love it well, guys, it has been a beautiful conversation today. Thank you for joining me for another Friday drinks. I've got a fun episode coming out tomorrow and as always, will be back bright and early on Monday morning for our money diary. So have a good weekend. Guys. We love you.
Speaker 6: Bye, guys, bye.
Speaker 2: Did buy shared on ese? On the Money is generally in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. On the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS, TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Sherper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine