Speaker 1: Hey, legends, welcome back to The Mason cock Show Vacation Edition. Yes, we're going to talk about some off season travels. We're also going to recap some off season travels that other people have may have stuffed up in the past. Plus we'll cover the footy and much much more on this episode, So stay tuned in, legend, It's going to be good one. All right, Legends, let's get straight into it. It is the Vacation holiday edition of The Mason cock Show nine Overseas, and it's the technical off season, unfortunately for me. But without further ado, welcome Brandon Toms.
Speaker 2: Get a Mason's always good to see that you're alive. I get sweaty when these players go overseas because I never know what shenanigans you get up to. So I thought I'd ease my mind and go on the internet and just find out that. I was hoping to find that players don't actually get into a lot of mischief overseas, but I actually uncovered a whole heap of stories that begs to differ. And yeah, so I'm pretty sure we were leaning to not doing any more podcasts for the year, but I did want to tune in. I did want to get on a call just to see your face. There's a lot riding on these trips, Mace. We need you to come back so we can keep going on with this podcast. But I just wanted to tune in. So it's good to see you alive. I haven't heard anything from you, so I want to know where you are, what you're doing, what you've been doing, and how your welfare is.
Speaker 1: Welfare is great currently sailing Croatia in the middle of the Mediterranean. Can't complain. And I'm on a boat. I think the lonely boys, I'm on a boat, you know what I mean. I think that's my lifestyle at the moment. Saw some dolphins this morning, which was beautiful, and yeah, life isn't too bad. But I'm still paying attention to a bit of the football and I'm hoping not to be one of those stories that I'm sure got plenty of of news that have happened in the past different football players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, is that a chacuzie you're sitting in front of.
Speaker 1: That's a very great observation, Brandon. It is a chacuzi, or a hot tub, as I like to call it, a hot time on top of the top deck of the sun deck of this yacht mine at the moment.
Speaker 3: So what's the temperature like there? What are we talking?
Speaker 1: Oh man, it is a brisk probably twenty five twenty six maybe right now it is eight am or eight thirty in the morning, so still the sun hasn't come out. But I might be coming back a little darker than I came here.
Speaker 2: We haven't seen a leak of sunlight here. Like I'm I was pale before, I'm I'm turning translucent. I'm wider than an a four sheet of paper. You know what's great? Wind, and we are getting a lot of it. Wind is just the best, especially when you match that up with rain and cold.
Speaker 3: That's the trio that we're talking about. So that's great.
Speaker 2: It's good to hear that your miserable over there in front of you. So did you want to how did you want to structure this? So you have seen a bit of footy? Did you want to lightly dip into the footy? And then I want to bring up some of these stories because I just want to have them in front of mine when you're traveling the rest of your your jaunt around the world. I want to have them in front of mine so you can go. You know what, maybe I shouldn't, you know, do the worm on top of a taxi or anything a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, Brandon, I've got a great story I'm going to tell you before we before we get into it, that'll talk about the football over the we because I'm pretty sure that every single team that we picked a win got spanked over the weekend or had a dramatic loss. I think we need to probably redeem ourselves of our football knowledge before we get into some of these stories. Now, I'll let you kick us off. That Geelong game, Oh my gosh, what world is going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We really backed in, We really really backed in Kenny Hinckley.
Speaker 3: We backed him in hard.
Speaker 2: And obviously it's not the coach out there doing most of the stuff. Zach butter Is getting injured didn't really help. But you know, outside of maybe Horn Francis and I don't know Ollie Wines or like that, there wasn't much, you know, of a fight back, which is just damning to say there's not much of a fight back from Port that Actually they just got obliterated eighty four points at home. That's got to do some lasting scarring damage, doesn't it heading into next week where they have to well this week where they have to go again, do we.
Speaker 1: Do we think they're out in straight sets again? I mean, all my confidence I had of Port Adelaide essentially going out the window, and I have no idea if they're even going to win this next game. I really am a fifty to fifty on the possibility. Like I was so, I was gun her Grand Final team, no doubt whatsoever, and now I feel like I couldn't be more on the opposite into the spectrum.
Speaker 2: Now, now they're coming up against the Hawks, who you know, had a pretty convincing win thirty seven point victors over the Bulldogs, which the Bulldogs were, These two teams were in equal almost equal run of hot form, and the Hawks went in there and you know, it did scary things, interesting interesting move I'm not sure if you saw it, but didn't do a hell of a lot in the first half. So they moved him forward where the ball wasn't going. So then obviously he didn't get much of the ball in the third, and then when they were six goals down, they put the back in the middle.
Speaker 3: He had nine touches kicked.
Speaker 2: The goal probably should have had two if Norton didn't touch it on the Western Bulldog's goal line, which is probably not what you want. But yeah, so the Hawks going up against port and they're actually the favorites Hawks at a poor home game, which is I don't even know, that's pretty hard to believe.
Speaker 1: Who would have gussed that it was? Yeah, that Bulldogs talks team as well. I did love a little shout out to the Wizard. Remember he put on the Wizard ad after the game. That was absolute gold. I do enjoy what Hawthorne is doing at the moment with all their social media and they're kind of just the youth that they have there. It is good fun. I think everyone has a smile on their face seeing people enjoying their football like that. And yeah, it wasn't predicting them to take the line like that and be able to punish them like they did. But you look at that Hawthorn versus a poor game, it's like, yeah, I understand why their favorites. To be honest, I can't imagine that. You talk about momentum the time of year, and Port Adelaid just got absolutely stopped with their momentum, and the Hawks just didn't continue there. So it's gonna be tough to not choose Hawthorn in that game, even though it is a Port Adelaide home game. And I hate to say, but my boys are about ros.
Speaker 3: I don't want it.
Speaker 2: I don't want it for Kenny because we've backed him in this whole time. But I genuinely fear what happens after a straight set's loss. So I'm hoping it's a bit of overreaction.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: We normally see these in finals where the two teams vying for a prelimp spot, there's obviously got to be two losers, and then when they lose, it's like, oh, doom and gloom, we think they suck all this stuff. But then they've got into the top four for a reason. They normally come out the next week and get the job done. But I don't know, we're seeing against the Mighty Hawks and there I saw stats and it's like there since round eight them number one for scores, for number one for defense, number one from like stoppage goals number one, Like it's like, calm down. I don't know, Oh my god, They're like a superpower of a team. And maybe it's just come that long to get into it round eight, but it's all turned around for him. I do have to ask, you're on the other side of the planet Earth now, outside of this Melbourne bubble that I live in. Did you hear about Jack Ginovan having a water at the London tavern?
Speaker 1: Wild? Absolutely wild? He is a unique human in me and you could see in the photo that went public, like he locked eyes with the person that was taking the photo and he's probably gone, a shit, He's oh no, just realize that I don't know what just happened there with the video and he he legit, just locked eyes with whoever it was and realized I'm in for a bit of a headline here for the next week. But you know, if it's part of us, you know what, it's kind of made him successful during the year. You can't really knock it. You know. It's if he likes to hang out with his friends, take his mind away from it and have a you know, have a pub meal as you say before a game. Then you know Tom love to do it. So it's obviously working for him. But I got to shout out someone else first, Lloyd Meek. This man is absolutely killing it at the moment. He is an incredible force. That is I think one of the reasons that Hawthorn team is being so successful. He's absolutely dominating in the middle there. And you got to give a band as flowers when it's well deserved like that. So get that shout out a little drawby to my Lloyd Meek who's been absolutely killing it.
Speaker 3: I do like the big boys out there.
Speaker 2: I do have to drag you back to Jack Ginovan for one more because we don't mind the water at the London tavern.
Speaker 3: Hat.
Speaker 2: What are our thoughts on texting your potential prelim opponents two weeks ahead of time saying see you in fourteen days on Instagram? Because that's what he's done. He's just bypassed Port Adelaide completely and send a message straight to BG Big Brody Grundy and said see you in fourteen days now. Is that putting the heat on yourself or onto your team and off in that one?
Speaker 1: That is peak confidence right there if I've ever heard it. Oh my gosh, the gold Now he was good mate to Brodie obviously playing with him and stuff like that. But to sit there and just look right past and I guarantee you that will be up in Port Adelaide's meeting room, just saying this fella does not respect us. Let's absolutely take it to him. So you know, you give, you give a little bit to the opposite. Sometimes it can be detrimental. Sometimes it's called duck and our dinner, as some people have said in the past. But it is an interesting thing to be able to put that publicly. You probably as a coach be saying, look, yeah, you can say those things. You know it was a personal relationship with Brody, but don't put it out to the rest of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not as bad as saying the showgrounds comments six months ahead of time. Now, anything that you say on international waters. I just want to put this out there to the public. Anything that Mason says can't be used against him in the court of law. He's on a boat in front of a hot tu International Waters. There's a jeeva convention or something. There's something that goes about that.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you saw this, but the Battle of the Bridge finally lived up to the hype.
Speaker 3: I mean, they have in Fannis had some.
Speaker 2: Pretty good close rivalries, but this game was it was well for starters. Clearly clearly the best game of the first week of finals, because outside of.
Speaker 3: This, they were all a bit shit, to be honest. But Sydney VGWS.
Speaker 2: GWS got the early jump on him and looked like it was gonna they were gonna get it done. And then I don't know if you know this bloke, Isaac Eeney thirty touches. I think he had eight score involvements, three goals, and he took what would be mark of the year if it wasn't in finals.
Speaker 1: He is an absolute freak. Like we're looking back on that vision and like he kind of dragged him over the line. I felt like similar to whenever we played him, you know, he stood up in those moments that mattered most. And that Markie tug, Oh, it was so sound. I loved it. But he's he's as you know, we looking at that game and like you thought the whole way through, GWS surely finishes this out, and in that fourth quarter they just came home strong, and yeah, it's it's pretty wild. I could only imagine what the crowd was doing there and how insane that atmosphere would have been being a home game for Sydney and that come back and I'm already kicking that last goal that just kind of dribbled through and just absolutely going nuts. Man, it looked like an absolute vibe there, real sick. But yeah, it was crediton GBS man over there, Brighton, But your team didn't didn't get across the lawn. Now they're going to go and and face a Brisbane outfit that's uh, you know, be Carlton over the weekend here, so it's gonna be an interesting game there. But yeah, you still you still think WUS has what it takes. Definitely Sydney, you know, there was question marks around them obviously, you know, weren't as dominant the back half of the year as the first half of the year. But they they proved their worth over the weekend and now they get that week off that's so incredibly important during finals and we'll see how they go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely think out of GWS and Port GWS is still very much a live chance to get across the other side of the.
Speaker 3: Fixture and get to a prelim.
Speaker 2: They you know, they did everything except for win the game, and as we saw in the Collingwood game that Sydney only needs a quarter, like they only need a quarter. If that they half a quarter, they can chuck on five goals. So yeah, they're still a scary proposition. I feel like that's the game they needed to show people that they can still really turn them around. So that was a great game. One that wasn't Brisbane b Carleton. Now Carlton just didn't arrive at the ground. Well they could have just they could have stayed on the bus for the first couple of quarters, because it took them till like I think three minutes left in the second quarter to kick their first goal. Then they kicked a couple in a minute, which is pretty impressive. But they were sixty to nothing at one stage, which is just curtains. Like we've seen a lot of big comebacks. Unfortunately they were nowhere near it. There was a couple of interesting moments out of this where Kennedy went up and he just had his partner just gave birth to their child, made the trip up to Brisbane and got subbed out halfway through the second quarter and he was sitting in the back of the bench.
Speaker 3: Steaming, which as it would be.
Speaker 2: It's probably fair because yeah, it's pretty rough to make the trip up, but we did see Doherty return Sam Dougherty, and he did return with a goal.
Speaker 3: Sixteen touches a goal.
Speaker 2: Nice little, you know, moment for Carlton in a game that was you know, pretty dark for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't think anyone was probably favoring COVID Carlton win that game. And whenever you looked out of the score and it was sixty to nothing is insane for a final. You think that like obviously being in top eight teams you'd be able to put a bit of a scoreboard pressure on. But obviously Carlton had a few different people that were out and weren't playing. But it was one of those things that Brisbane just got off to such a hot start. It was never going to be a chance for them to really try to call back. I feel like in that moment, especially being away too at the Fortress, and it was a beautiful moment. I will say, Sam darker eagle. I think that was kind of like the highlight for Carlton. If you're a Carlton fan, have a pretty bleak kind of day, But credits m He's a great man. I've always loved Sam the way he's done it what he's kind of done for, you know, testicular cancer and everything along those lines. Every time you see him, you know, out there and doing this thing, it's always a feel good moment, right, It's always a feel good moment for Yeah, like I said, which was not a not a great day to be a Carlton fan, but probably to be expected.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I'm fortunate for Carlton.
Speaker 2: I know you and I really feel for him in this moment, and thoughts and prayers go out to them and the fan base because it's it's just a it's a hard time for him, isn't it.
Speaker 3: So that's unfortunate.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we do look ahead the next week, so we do have Port Adelaide v.
Speaker 3: Hawthorne. I feel like.
Speaker 2: It feels like you're you've already said the Hawks. I'm gonna I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't actually say that.
Speaker 2: Can I stick with Port? I?
Speaker 1: Ah, come on, do it? Do it? Do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna well, Yeah, for Kenny's sake, I'm sticking with Port because if he if he loses, it's trouble.
Speaker 1: H Hey, I'm gonna do the same. I'm gonna stick with Port Adelaide and worst case scenario. I'm saying, worst case scenario, Kenny loses and he goes to West Coast and they just rebuilt that program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't mind it. Don't mind it, and hopefully he's just loved and cherished there the whole way through.
Speaker 3: What do we got?
Speaker 2: GWS Australia GWS, but no pressure in Perth. Apparently it's nice and cruisier GWS v the Lions at NG Stadium.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gonna be an interesting one. I think that's probably the one everyone's looking at as the big kind of big ticket game. It's a question mark, maybe more of a fifty to fifty than the other games. I have to go wos on this one. There they took Sydney to the line. Should they won that game, they definitely had an opportunity to. But yeah, it's tough with them been playing throughout the whole year. Really, I think it's hard to pick against them. Obviously, person had been momentum winning their last game, But overall, I think a home game for them gives them a chance to go and play that winner that port out a lead game and probably get back to that Grand Final spot. So I'm gonna have to GOBS on this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm backing in my boys, the GWS Giants, Mighty Giants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just think they're too.
Speaker 2: Goods been have obviously lifted in the second half of the season.
Speaker 3: I just don't know if.
Speaker 2: They're as good as they are at the Gabba, like obviously they're not. But yeah, I just feel like Giants should get the job done at home. So yeah, that's a massive week of footy. Hopefully next week's games are better than last week's games, and then so on and so forth.
Speaker 3: Hopefully we get a couple of good prelates.
Speaker 2: What about Geelong, We didn't really touch on Geelong's win, but that's very impressive to go over there get the job done. Danger lifted massively because yeah, I just thought they were going to tag homes and then once you tag homes it kind of gets a bit thin. But Holmes had sixteen at halftime. He was just towing them up, setting up everything. Grian Myers pretty much. It feels like every kick that he kicks is a goal assist. Like, yeah, they just keep getting it done the old Cat.
Speaker 1: That's impressive. I think you talk about experience and how important that is coming towards finals and I mean they don't have Gary Rowan, who unfortunately I broke I think he broke the score with fractions tomahawk. There's a few guys that, you know, they end up still having out. Like I think that the leaders really kind of stood up in that game, and it is insane to look at that score line and go that actually happened. Like, I think everyone was so convinced it was going to be a close game or port out of that was going to beat them, and Geelong just went over there and absolutely spanked them at their home ground and no one saw it coming. So I think a lot of people probably look past your along a little bit. You know, it's an out of the top four. They probably the weekest out of the top four, all that kind of stuff. After that game, people are going, well, Geelong now might be you know those teams that actually makes a flag. Yeah, it's kind of kind of crazy. How think many people would have probably been saying that before the final series kind of started, But after that performance, you can't you can't knock them.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, it's and like they're run as soon as they like now they're at the g I assume for the pre lim and then at the g again with a home run through the potentially another Grand Final where yeah, they've over here, they've been belding up how well Chris Scott has done so he kind of it deserves that given he's been in something like thirteen pre limbs since he's been at the at Geelong since twenty eleven, won a flag in his first year, one two since he's been there, runner up in one heap of pre limbs. They just keep taking it over anyway, I'm not going to I don't want to stray too far away from your holiday because I want to know about that. I want to live vicariously through you. And before we jumped into the footy, you said you had a little story, a little teaser.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so as you know, I'm selling Croatia at the moment right now, and I'm sitting there going okay, perfect. I got to Croatia, I got to split eight days on a boat and now going beautiful. I'm half a world away from Australia, no one or know anything about football, be able to get on this boat, meet some people from all over the world. Right, I'll get there, I'll put my bags on, I'll check in, I'll talk to the guy that's talking, yeah, that's looking after the boat, and he goes, what's you name? Where you're from? Sad on from Australia. He goes, oh beautiful, everyone else on this boat is from Australia. I said, you got to be absolutely kidding me. There's the twenty eight people on this boat. All of them are from Australia. So the guy goes, oh, do you think anyone would know you? And I said, ah, depending on where where they're from, Sydney or you know, up in Queen's I'm probably not, but maybe the other ones would probably have heard of something if they're an AFL fan. They get onto this boat. As I walk up the stairs, this guy goes, oh, I just might welcome to the by I've traveled half a world awide to get away from football. What about not. I've landed on a boat with a bunch of football people and there's these lovely people from w I They're very very nice, a few Collingwood fans, which is ironic being half a world awide, but they're absolutely legends of the Nazist people and a bit of a story. The first night, one of the guys comes up to me He goes, can you give me a favor? I said, yeah, what do you need? He goes, well, six of us played local you know, footy as kids, and I brought jerseys of our local football club. I said, yeah, okay, that's kind of eq and interesting is will you do a jersey presentation on the boat for the first night. Not only have I rocked up to a boat full of Australians, I am doing a jersey presentation on the first night of this cruise, which is something I don't think I could have fathomed whenever I told myself I'm going on a Croatian tour, on a cruise for a whole week. And it has been lovely. They've been amazing people. But it was hilarious and they are enjoying a drink. They're all from w A. They're hoot as we would call them back in America. But you wouldn't believe it. Brighton, I've landed myself on a footy boat in the middle of Croatia, half world away from where footy exists.
Speaker 3: W A to out of everyone that it could have made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't say it. I didn't say oh my god.
Speaker 2: That reminded me of I think Pendules said that he went all the way to Greece once and he went out onto his balcony just to set it up. I think it might have been way back in the day, like we're talking twenty ten, and he walked out there and someone was watching the replay of the Grand Final on a phone next door.
Speaker 3: You could hear it. You can't, you just can't escape anyway.
Speaker 2: This is why I want to jump into some of these because obviously we'll get more into the rest of your trip going on, but I want to just bring up some things that can happen because sometimes sometimes you think, you know, rational thoughts, I should be fine to do this, and that I should be fine to go on that elephant ride. I should be fine to you know, getting the jacuzi on the roof. Should like you're going through you're doing a lot. Well, you're not through Asia, but you're through Europe. You know the gondola, right, just be careful, you know, they could they can come out of anywhere. And I just want to give you some of the weirder and whackier one. So obviously we'll start pretty light and you probably know this one because it was well within your time. But Max King, you know, in his second season he was playing a round of golf and got hit by a stray golf ball and now that can cussed him and he had to miss two weeks from concussion. So just when you're like, oh, maybe we'll just go have a nice chill round of golf, your head on a swivel, mate, because anything can happen.
Speaker 3: Helmet, We're a helmet now.
Speaker 2: Good seguees because a former teammate of yours, Jaden Stevenson, loves a mountain bike ride now. He just finished He just finished his first season for the North Melbourne footy club back in twenty twenty one. Having a couple of drinks at home, he said, look at me do a fancy trick on my mountain bike and went tits up. I landed on a concrete pavi, resulting in an ambulance ride to the hospital with a fractured hip. So have you got any mountain bike rides planned for the trip?
Speaker 1: I am going to do a bike ride through a national park here in a couple of days, so I will take it on only paved roads. I will be very diligent in the way I go about it. I will make sure I don't do anything like you did. What do you do? You rupture your testicle? It?
Speaker 3: No, I don't.
Speaker 2: I just did something that's all together, no ruptures. I didn't rupture my what is it my blood vessels or whatever.
Speaker 1: Thing?
Speaker 2: And then but that was I was being a silly goose. I tried to do a trick like Jade and Stevenson. And that's when when your ability and your confidence like don't align, that's when you get into trouble. So just you're not as good as you think you are. Just pull it back a stretch. Now we know Jeremy, how right your teammate, very talented individual, and will take him on his word for this one, because obviously he broke his finger with an incident with his dog and a frisbee and it definitely didn't happen in the T twenty clash in Melbourne's eastern suburbs where he also played a game, but that was just coincidence because it was a frisbee and his dog. Now, I also stumbled across one where Jeremy got kicked out of the MCG for building a giant beer snake. So Jeremy likes to have a crack during the off season, So don't it. Just don't do what how he does?
Speaker 3: Is that? I think that's a good motto.
Speaker 1: Well, how he also just released that he's having a second child, So don'll double down on that line and.
Speaker 3: Don't Yeah, don't do that. Way you're over.
Speaker 1: There, do that.
Speaker 3: There's plenty of avenues I can go down.
Speaker 1: With that forgot to his wife, but I'll try to stay away from it for the time.
Speaker 2: He congratulations and as always, wear a helmet. You were talking about with the bike riding, wear a helmet. Both both scenarios wear a helmet. Uh. Now we all know this one famous one cal Mills WrestleMania comes early postseason celebrations, bit of a wrestle dislocated the shoulder, torn rotator cuff in the left shoulder and was just that kind of ruled out.
Speaker 3: The start of his season.
Speaker 2: So named captain after that, which is great. I think maybe that was the that was the final whoever won that wrestler be a captain. But I don't know how you win with the torn rotator cuff. So when you're out there no wrestling, that's a pretty simple one.
Speaker 3: I reckon. You could probably stay away from that.
Speaker 1: That's good advice. Yeah, I'll try to stay wear a helmet. Helmet, don't don't do anything with dogs, is what I've learned over the off seasons. I think dogs lead to broken hands.
Speaker 2: Dogs are a big one. I don't even think you're pretty accident prone. You've had a lot of accidents over the time. I don't even think you could break your hand with the frisbee. But Jeremy how I did it. Anyway, we'll get off Jess Stevie J. Christmas drinks disaster. Now this is a pretty famous one. Three time Premiership a Norm Smith Metal a successful assistant coach. But way back December two thousand and three, Stevie J decided to jump the fence of a Torquy hotel to get back into the venue in the early hour. So already right there, right, you get kicked out, it's probably a good sign.
Speaker 3: To stay out. You're done.
Speaker 2: You're done, though, what you're not doing is climbing a fence, scale a fence and try to jump back into the venue and shatter both heels in the process.
Speaker 3: So poor, I feel that's a pretty that's a pretty fair one.
Speaker 2: Now we can all dabble in a bit of the alcohol from time to time, especially the athletes in the off season, and I know that you don't drink a lot during the season, so it can go straight to you.
Speaker 3: So maybe just if you get kicked out, stay in.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of one of my favorite stories of when of our first came to Australia and Jack Reewald, who was obviously playing at Richmond at the time. One of my first impressions of the Richmond Football Club was the media was outside because he had said something about Demma and the media cameras were all over the place. I'm upstairs doing a psychology assessment and all of a sudden, I see this human in a dead strength across Richmond's field hops a fence, gets over to the train station and I'm sitting there looking at these reporters chasing on them, and I'm going, who is that? And the guy kind of like embarrassingly says, yeah, he's kind of one of our best players. He's running away from the media decided to take the trade home to the day. I was like, Wow, this AFL thing is real. Just anything goes That.
Speaker 2: Was very I was actually there for that one, so that was it was interesting the run to the train station chasing after Jack. He you know, he's smartened up since then. Immatured up, so that was good to see. We can not that he was a mistake, but we do learn from these things and we.
Speaker 3: Do grow as people.
Speaker 2: Now there was a famous one. This is probably more when you get back. But I never know what they do on these Kentiky tours, these Kentiquy to not that you're on one of those, but they make you do all kinds of dumb bonding shit over there. And one of them, if they say, mace, we can motivate you to endure any type of pain because we can get you so in the zone you can just switch your mind off, and that's what they did. Nigel Smart in Adelaide where a bunch of Adelaide players for the preseason were convinced to walk over boiling hot coals and they all kind of melted to their feet and then they all got pretty severe burns. So that's something that I wouldn't suggest you do.
Speaker 1: You I Lay football club, not great history.
Speaker 2: Not great at the preseason camp, it's very safe to say, have you ever got talked into doing some dumb bonding ship on any of these these trips you've been on. I know a lot of people we did the the you have to you take the shot without using your mouth, and then you spit out the shot, and then you've got to kiss the person next to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no I didn't. I haven't done that one.
Speaker 3: You're leaking.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: For those listening to the audio only version, that's the QUSI that's not Mason just kissing himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so good. I've done any of those bonding yet. I think I've jumped off a few cliffs and stuff over my times just to kind of, you know, be part of the group. But I don't think I'll be doing that. And it's yeah, it's a I think the group I'm with right now. I've been told that the average age for this cruise is forty five plus, so I don't think that's probably a longer line than one of a lot of people on here. I think I'm actually okay with it. You know, I'm here just to have a good, lacking time, and I don't need to be doing shots and kissing people that left right at me, like you brighton. Yeah, that's just not my future.
Speaker 2: You gotta get over there. You've got to experiment whoever's next year, just have a crack.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I do want to get to this one because very interesting backyard blitz leaves Red Otton's stuck. A bit of a backyard diy went horribly wrong for the Richmond Forward after the two thousand and two season. The number two draft pick from nineteen ninety seven fell from a tree while trying to hang an outdoor swinging chair and landed on what he described as a broomstick sized garden steak, which got stuck in his thigh nikes.
Speaker 1: That's oh, that just sounds rough. And then also kind of explaining that story to the club. I would have loved to have just been on that phone call of just trying to explain what the hell just happened. And you have to have to believe them because it's such a detailed event, Like you can't sit there and say that that's like that's a wild story, just to makeup to say that's not even true. So credit to him, I guess, but I don't know. I almost would probably make up a fake story to be able to come to this point.
Speaker 2: It's very it's an innocent thing, like a like a hanging rope swing from a tree, so I get where they're coming from. A couple of these are very creative. Now we've got the frisbee, we got the rope swing. Now what about another. There's a lot of Collingwood former He's not a former teammate, but former Collingwood player Shared Wellingham's trampoline shocker.
Speaker 3: Now, isn't that a headline?
Speaker 2: West Coast gave up the first round pick for Shared Wellingham at the end of twenty twelve, but the former Magpie took longer than expected to debut for his new club after suffering ankle cindusmoses late in preseason in twenty thirteen. Wellington Wellingham thought he broke his leg after falling from a trampoline.
Speaker 1: True ideal, that's for sure. And I think I've done a bounce. We've been to Ponzi Castle, kind of thing for adults to bounced my knee and one of those coffee a month or two of a pre season, so I think just staying away from general plays ago, I would say Bran, Yeah, he was one of the first people I think I'd seen actually play football. So it's interesting that a bit of backstory of all no, no, exactly how much risk he's going to season, but stay away from trampolines in general, because as a kid, go ahead.
Speaker 2: As an adult, now, yeah, I think tall people in general, tall people trampolaines don't go hand in hand.
Speaker 3: That's for damn sure.
Speaker 2: Now, I do want to give an honorable mention to Brian Lake, who spent a week in a Japanese jail cell. He went over to play a nice innocent game for the AFL Asia tournament, but he had an altercation with the local man.
Speaker 3: So stay out of jail.
Speaker 2: Japanese people they don't stuff around, so don't don't mess with that.
Speaker 3: Lucky, you're not.
Speaker 1: Going to make sure everyone stays out of is the biggest thing I think. But give us one more.
Speaker 2: The Western Bulldogs first pick in the two thousand and seven AFL Draft was stung on the back of a leg by a sting ray during a recovery session at the Beach in February two thousand and eight. Now that's very rough, especially because he grew up playing for the Danding Long Stingrays. They think they would have had one of their own in the back of their mind, but just be very careful over there.
Speaker 3: This is the last thing I will say.
Speaker 2: Don't go messing with any stingrays, any creatures in the water, I reckon, maybe just stay out of the water. No sharks. We're wearing a helmet in the in the bike department. Are you rock climbing, mountain climbing? Are we doing any you snorkeling? Because we've already said stay out of the water, are we doing anything? Tell us what the rest of your trip is from here on out, and we can just give it a bit of a grading on where you should be careful and how you should be able to get through this. We've got to navigate your way through this, mate.
Speaker 1: We've got another boat for five six days like after that, and we're going to hike thro the Domonds. I will wear that helmet then, and then it will spend a month in after that's four of a cl which is music festival, and then we'll do the U S a FL, do some stuff over there with AFL what should be good fine, and then the rest of it's a bit up for debates. So I will keep the helmet in mind whenever doing biking or whatever kind of be able to use that, I guess. But the biggest thing. Yeah, I'll try to stay away with the thing right is, don't like to steve her one stuff. I didn't get bit by a crab, was a torquy recently. That's the absolute but Jesus out of me, So I'll try to stay away from those the sea creatures. I think it's probably a good good advice for the off season.
Speaker 2: I like that I did hear a lot of don't get crabs, don't fall off a mountain, uh, don't. Just Texas in general, a lot of guns, a lot of heap of guns.
Speaker 3: So just gun. Just take yourself there.
Speaker 2: I don't know about going to music festivals or anything like that. We did hear about your shenanigans last time with your brother, so maybe we skip. Let's just bubble wrap it up. But it is good to see that you're currently still alive. It looks like it's getting a little windy on top of the boat there, which I'm glad. I feel like that's coming from Melbourne, it's coming across the line, so I don't know, we're gonna have to wrap it up there, but yeah, it is good to see you. It's good to hear from your any words for our loving fans before your head.
Speaker 1: Off, massive, massive thank you for the year everyone. I hope you've joined it. We might release a few episodes of some hurricane here, released a few episodes of some of our favorite kind of interviews we've done over the next few weeks, but no massive thank you as always from the community, hopefully here. Yeah you're surviving down there in Melbourne, in the windy city, but yeah, thank you to everyone, and I'm going to go enjoy my holidays for the last a little bit. I can't wait for next year. It's gonna be good, fun.
Speaker 3: Too easy. We'll see you when you get back.
Speaker 1: Thanks Jia, We'll catch a later. Rob