Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Yr the Order Kerney Whalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Mune the podcast Millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, guess what, It's Friday, which means it is time to get my gorgeous team together and celebrate you the incredible She's on the Money community. Today, Ms Grig is going to share our favorite money wins. Miss beck Sayed has some juicy broke tips for you.
Speaker 2: We're going to be.
Speaker 3: Helping to answer a money dilemma, which this week is all about income protection and we're going to unpack something that you slid into our DMS, about which this week is all about gifting your friends some handy downs or an outfit that you love and then they sell them. So before we get there, as always, we need to check in with my team, see how they're going. Let's throw Beck straight under the bus because she.
Speaker 2: Always goes no, Jesse, you go first, Beck.
Speaker 4: How's your week been?
Speaker 5: My week has been really nice. I'm having a little slumber party tonight with some adult friends, which.
Speaker 4: Is really cute.
Speaker 5: So Exea, It's really cute the.
Speaker 3: Way you phrased this, like, oh, I'm having some friends sleepover would be fine, but I'm having an slumber party. Yeah, fun, And I'm like, oh for it. But like you've you've done that to yourself.
Speaker 4: That's so true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I've really made it sounds a lot more.
Speaker 3: You made it sounds a lot better than what it's going to be.
Speaker 5: Totally, but it will be really be lollies and stuff like that is my dream come true. Anyway, we have a slumber party and then I'm actually currently planning a Valentine's Day date.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, what are you doing planning a date? Planning dates with a real life human being, a real.
Speaker 5: Life girl I was using like AI girlfriend for a little while, but you like the real thing.
Speaker 4: That seems quite fair. So now you've upgraded and you've got a look back.
Speaker 2: I haven't looked back yet.
Speaker 3: So is this like a hard launch or a soft launch? Jess cut this is a soft launch, being elusive, We're being elusive.
Speaker 2: Wonder who it is exactly? This is just very very soft launch, A squishy launch, squishy launch. All the details.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be hounding her for them on and off. So don't you worry, miss Jessica Reachi. How has your week been.
Speaker 2: I've had a really good week. There's butterflies everywhere. Has anyone noticed that? I don't know why, but it feels very She's coming to town. Well there's that we got a new tailors with album.
Speaker 4: Really did?
Speaker 2: I just know I'm gonna love this one, do you know what I mean? Like it's giving all of the.
Speaker 3: Painting our nails green, expecting her to announce reputation, her being like, sit down, you guys are so.
Speaker 2: Wrong, and it's you know it's going to be another heartbreak one because it's Joe whatever his name is, like his well speculation, but we know it'll be his album and it just seems like the vibe is going to be immaculate. So I'm so excited for that. Like I just can't oh my queen and then just prep for the concert next week.
Speaker 4: Costumes going good.
Speaker 2: My rule is I have to, Like I've set myself a goal. It needs to be finished by Sunday because if I can't let something goes wrong, I need time to buy something. So hopefully nobody's seen me have a melt down here, you.
Speaker 3: Can just call me and let me know and I will help you fix it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. Hopefully I don't need it, but yeah, if you do, though.
Speaker 4: Like let me know.
Speaker 2: I'm not letting you have a melt down.
Speaker 3: I'm pregnant, really pregnant, having a lot of them, and nobody deserves melkow.
Speaker 2: Well, how has your week been? Speaking of being very pregnant, I haven't.
Speaker 3: Cried that much, so I think that's actually so impressive at this point. Yeah, I've had a good week.
Speaker 4: I've done a lot.
Speaker 3: Actually I can't tell you who it was with, but I actually interviewed someone with the un Women Australia this week, so fancy I can't share who it is yet, but I had to be up at four thirty am to make their time zone so that we could do a good interview, and like, honestly, I don't regret any of it. I'm just a little bit tired now, but I'm so excited to share that. I think it will be so special. And it honestly felt like an honor. Like you know those things where you like, are you.
Speaker 2: Sure you meant me?
Speaker 3: Like, I know you meant that I could interview them. It's not about me, But are you sure you want to compromise yourselves?
Speaker 2: Mean that you sure?
Speaker 3: But I checked a number of times and they were like, yeah, yeah, it's you, and I was like, I can't believe it. So that's been my highlight of the week. Again, Squishy launch, We're not like giving away too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, out that it's been good.
Speaker 3: But yeah, TLDR, I hope this is one of my last Friday Drinks episodes because I really want this baby out of me already, Guys, I've done.
Speaker 2: It's just got to wait one more week after Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, after Taylor Swift, I can hold on. Let's jump into some more stuff about the community, though. Jess I've been perving on the money wins a Confession's thread this week, and I feel like there are some juicy ones. So what are you bringing to the table.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought we'd start with the money loss that I think many of us may have experienced in the last week. It's from Jess and she said money loss. Didn't win the two hundred million?
Speaker 4: Oh, I feel like my team like we.
Speaker 2: All bought one's everyone except you.
Speaker 3: We went on retreat and all of them were talking last week about buying lotto tickets and I'm just sitting there being.
Speaker 2: Like, do you see what is going on here? We fell for the marketing, but you are the problem. Ah, Well, two people want a hundred million each? Wow? Imagine would have settled for an easily hundred million.
Speaker 4: I know me too.
Speaker 2: I would love two meal if.
Speaker 3: A whole episode and be like, this episode is specifically for the two people who won one hundred million dollars and it's what I think you should do with it?
Speaker 2: That would be interesting. Yeah, the relatives, but really quickly, what's one like the first thing you would buy? If you want a hundred meal? You can't say investor. You have to buy something like a thing I think an object to the material thing that you were just going to say, I pay.
Speaker 4: Off my parents' mortgage, but I'm not allowed to do that.
Speaker 2: To buy you have to be selfish.
Speaker 3: I really would buy myself all away a puzzle bag cute in the sound color God.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've never heard that my life.
Speaker 2: I'll show you a picture after.
Speaker 4: I think I really like it.
Speaker 2: I just can't justify it at this point.
Speaker 4: That's fair, you know what.
Speaker 5: I would honestly just buy myself some modest birken Stocks.
Speaker 3: You buy you some modest brecon stock. Have you seen my new birken Stocks.
Speaker 5: I haven't.
Speaker 3: Don't show me jealous.
Speaker 2: You love them.
Speaker 3: I got the Boston's, you got the Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My best friend said that I am two steps away from becoming a lesbian, and I'm okay with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So that's what I would buy and top up my Mikey.
Speaker 1: That's me.
Speaker 4: I really don't. I can't with you, Jessica, You're so practical.
Speaker 2: I buy a house, but then if I have to, if we're going.
Speaker 4: That's an investment, I'm sorry, no, not having that.
Speaker 2: Then I would buy a Chanel Classic CLA that's mine. That's like a ten handbag. Does that make it ill? Yeah, it is aesthetically pleasing though you know it. I'll show your phone. It's like the quilted black VD has three probably oh my goodness, right.
Speaker 3: Straight under the Yeah. So as we're saying money, when's a confessions?
Speaker 2: I really got all right, I've got a money in from Yakira who said my daughter started competitive chio, which is very expensive. I think it's probably similar to dance. But I managed to score an as new competition uniform for fifty dollars instead of the two hundred and forty it would have cost me new Oh my gosh, woin respect for all the parents out there with kids in activities, because I think about my parents looking back, and I'm like, oh, kind of in cheap.
Speaker 3: Also, two hundred and forty dollars for children's outfit, I know, like I'm not trying to disrespect it. A lot of time, energy and effort has surely gone into that. But like kids grow so quick, so that and it's for like one thing, right, Like you can't just keep using them.
Speaker 4: It's not like a uniform, is it true.
Speaker 2: I think the uniforms maybe change gartar sometimes. So that's crazy. Well done, Yakira. Then Inez said I have a money win. I switched to a Masim after being loyal to a big telco for over a decade. I used to pay sixty two dollars for fifty gigabytes but would only ever use twenty gig max. I found a thirty two gig plan for thirty dollars with the unusedtarter rolling over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's unlimited and it doesn't stop rolling over.
Speaker 2: Jess, that's so good. And my first month was half priced, so I only paid fifteen dollars for a much better plan. And bonus, it's an esium, so where I could switch immediately, Do you're not?
Speaker 3: My favorite part about that is we've recently worked with a Masium and that's not even a paid sponsorship. But that's a great plug. Thank you for that. Thank you, and Ess, I'm going to call a Masium and be like, hey, so I don't know if you know this, but you really should listen to our Friday episode. We say some really nice things and by where I mean my community, not me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please sponsor us next time. I got a money win from Alika, who said I booked a car hire for oun New Zealand trip two months ago, I went to edit the booking and I found that if I'd booked the same car today, it would have been almost three times more expensive. Money win book in advance. Yeah, so smart, so smart, very good idea. Then I've got one from Sarah who said I advertised a small side table a marketplace for ten dollars. A lady came to pick it up and only had twenty dollars, and she happily just said keep the change. WHOA when money? I always have people coming to the door being like, sorry, I've only got fifty, will we take that instead of seventy?
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't know where people get you have done to me?
Speaker 2: And I've just been like, of course, sorry, I don't say it, but of course it's always men, always men, it's always men.
Speaker 4: What did you say?
Speaker 2: So I literally said sorry, like we agreed on seventy. There's a seven eleven down the road. If you want to get a cash out? What get And this guy's the guy whos just me last time?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, this is the key. We hit the money out.
Speaker 2: Of his wallet and was like, I only have fifty, will you take that instead of seventy? Or whatever it was and then I said to seven elevens like down the road, and he said okay, and so then he got something. He had the money in his pocket. I was just like, you don't. And we've obviously negotiated back and forth, like he was such a pain to talk to. I remember, like Negotia, Negotia, negotiate, agreed on at double and he's still trying to hustle.
Speaker 5: Hope he's listening to this.
Speaker 3: Hat's not because he's not money savage kind so true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, so I feel like else, if you got Sarah did really well, he's canceled. He is. Then I've got a win from z who said I collect Google play Point perks every week for free. That's quite a tongue twister. Say that Baptiz's fast and I now have a five dollar voucher to buy She's in the Money audiobook. Don't know what a Google play Point perk is and maybe look into it though, because it sounds like you get free vouchers, which we love. I love that.
Speaker 4: I also love.
Speaker 3: I don't know if everybody knows this, but you can get all of my audio books for free if you are already a Spotify subscriber good to.
Speaker 2: All of my books are on.
Speaker 3: Spotify, and if you like are a paid member of Spotify, you can go listen to them for free, which is a very good money win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's great. Then lastly, I've got a goodie from Holly who said I went to get a roast chook from coals. They were none left, but did she get a little voucher has a rule but if you go to get a chicken and they have none left, you get a voucher for a free one boom, a free chook. Money win. That's pretty cool. I'm the chicken's such a good one, and that is so. I love that we're calling it a chuck. Still, that's so I love it. My money is I nearly got scams this morning and I didn't.
Speaker 4: How did you nearly get scammed?
Speaker 2: Still? Do we want to go on with? No?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: No, This is the tangent we're here for.
Speaker 3: It's Friday, and it's our episode.
Speaker 4: We do what we want on this one.
Speaker 2: So I got a text in an email from Recovery's Core, which is a debt collection agency, like they're a real agency. I've heard of them before, Yes, and they were saying we're getting in touch with you because you had an outstanding Linked toll which, for those who are not in Victoria, Linked is our toll system, like for most of the roads in Australia all come under Link to the toll roads. You had an outstanding debt, it's been passed along to us because it hasn't been paid. You know, go through looked very legit and you know what, there have been times where I've used tolls and like, my thing hasn't been popped up in you so you just believe it. Yes, I've literally gotten the same thing. Yeah, So I and I transferred the money out of one of my savers to make the payment, and then I just went, I don't remember Like normally i'd get a text from Linked first being like your balance is under like pay your balance whatever, before it would go to collections. I was like, I don't remember getting that, so like it's.
Speaker 3: Not like you to go to collections, like you're psychotic with your.
Speaker 2: Budgeting, sally good. So I went to the website and I like my account was still turned on. I was like, that's really strange, and so then I went to the Recovery's Court website and luckily this must be a really common scam because on their homepage of their website they have we're aware of a scam going around regarding linked invoices. If you have received something, please make sure that it's legitimate before you do it. So then I got on the linked they had like a chat online and I just said, hey, like, I've got this, can you check? And it took like ten minutes, but they're like, no, no, like you've got nothing outstanding. I nearly paid a scammer. Nearly paid because it was like it was, you know how normally the email well, and I checked the email. It was a proper like looking email. It wasn't like sexy boy one two three gmail dot com. I'm sorry, you looked very real if you read no.
Speaker 3: I've got I've gotten a couple of them. And usually the Telltales sign and Jess you probably saw this is usually the URL is foreign, so the URL does not send you to the Recovery's Corp website directly. And I think that if in doubt, go direct, And I think.
Speaker 2: That that's the best tip here.
Speaker 3: Like a bank texts you, they're never actually ever gonna ask for personal informational details. So like if there is a debt with Linked, goes straight to Linked to be like, hey, what's this debt about? And they can clear it up, can you. I would triple check everything at the moment because I'm getting so many text messages and I don't know where they're getting my number of like you owe this or my favorite scam? At the moment, I say favorite just because it's in my inbox all the time.
Speaker 2: They're like, we.
Speaker 3: Tried to deliver a parcel and your address was incorrect.
Speaker 2: Click here and.
Speaker 3: It always comes through it for where I am. And then you look at the url and I go pretty sure oz Post's website is an oz posty dot com.
Speaker 2: It's not, you know. Yeah, there's a lot my bank text bean, so there's lots of scams. Be careful. So it must be that time of year to be did you reminder? Reminder?
Speaker 3: Let's move on though, Miss beck'say ed, yes, Now broke tips are you bringing to this table?
Speaker 4: Very good question?
Speaker 2: Be so, Actually I want to start off this is not a broad tip, but I'm a.
Speaker 4: Lot of money in I guess.
Speaker 3: So let's pretend your segment hasn't started and you're just slotting into.
Speaker 2: Jess's Yeah, okay. Is that okay?
Speaker 3: Well, will you let beck share a money win?
Speaker 2: I would love that. Can I beig back? Please? Thank you so much, just you're so kind.
Speaker 5: So a few different group chats separately have gone off with screenshots of I can't really recall what company this is. I'm really sorry, it's probably very unhelpful. But there's so many really really cheap return flights to Japan.
Speaker 4: I believe they're flying around everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, why is it so cheap? I don't know, but.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Japan.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 3: I think it's through not to she's on tour, yeah yeah, yeah, oh my.
Speaker 2: If anyone out they would like to send us to Japan.
Speaker 3: If anyone even just wants it's like, you know, and sometimes Jess I text scroup chat and I say one like and I'll have a croissant for lunch, and then I like it myself. It's like that anyone d and says, oh, we want to see she's on the money in Japan, Well we'll just have to.
Speaker 2: Do it, do it.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's like one like one prayer, but in this instance, it's one comment or one DM saying we should go to Japan.
Speaker 2: Go to Japan, but.
Speaker 3: They're so cheap, and I've also seen really cheap return flights to Bali.
Speaker 2: Like too hot, too hot, I'm so sorry, give me some broke tips then, yes, okay, here we go.
Speaker 5: Okay, So, as usual, we have two from the community, one from myself. The first one comes from Kara, my friend Kara from Sydney. She said that octical scroup surveys are a good way to make extra cash. So I know that we have mentioned surveys before, but this is the I had heard of octopus group surveys.
Speaker 3: They're pretty popular in the She's on the money community, so I think.
Speaker 2: They're legit too. Okay, there you go, are you in?
Speaker 5: I literally might jump on there myself after this. Okay, So the next one comes from Shell, who says the heart of Carlton so food and drinks for five dollars and under. This place is actually quite close to my house, so I might check this out money good research the podcast, Yes, exactly to treat yourself exactly, so my own one. This one might seem a little bit common sensical, but I would say, if possible, use a good petrol forecasting site. The one that I came across was connecting the dots dot com today U forecasting. Yeah, but you can kind of like have a Google and see what's out there, as well as obviously petrol spy, which we do talk about, and when petrol is low, if possible, try and just stock up on jerry Can's obviously.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I've got safety.
Speaker 3: You use those apps. Do exactly what Becky is saying, find the cheapest petrol, then go to your seven eleven app and lock it in so you don't need a jerry Can. You've got the price locked in for the next filler.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's true. I think that only lasts like a week though. That's okay, but it is. That's all right, that's a good deal. Yeah, it really is good. If you're going to be using that much petrol in the week, it's really good. And even if you're not, like, it's still good to just like keep talking a little top up, just do a top up. But I would say, like, yes, store safely, make sure you store safety.
Speaker 3: Do you actually feel jerry cans full of petrol? Backside?
Speaker 5: I do, but only because you know, my best friend live has a caravan and that makes sense. I think the biggest one where you have is like I don't know, fifteen leadles or something.
Speaker 2: But that's good. That's like half a tank. Yeah, that's a good deal.
Speaker 5: So do that because sometimes it's been too Sometimes it's a dollar sixty.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I could trust myself to fill a jerry can without tipping it over, if I.
Speaker 2: Carried one down the highway before, it's not that it's broke down and we had to walk the petrol station there to walk back.
Speaker 4: Hot girl shit only.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty hot.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good. She's a self sufficient queen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to be talking about one of my favorite topics, income protection, and we're also going to be unpacking something you slid into our DMS about this week.
Speaker 4: We're talking about giving a friend your hand me.
Speaker 3: Downs and then they sell them on you guys, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve the She's on the Money team is here to help.
Speaker 3: Every week we tackle your dilemmas both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording, and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hi, she's on the money.
Speaker 8: I have a question about income protection. I've been seeing so much on your socials about the topic, and I was wondering if you could shed some light on what that would look like for people who already have some medical issues.
Speaker 7: I myself had a heart attack last year, and I just feel a little bit scared and embarrassed to apply for income protection because I'm worried they will just say no and I'll feel a bit lost.
Speaker 8: If you could help, that would be great.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Don't feel embarrassed. Don't feel embarrassed. Good thing you're thinking about. It absolutely an anecdote before VD takes it away, because I think this is your time to shut it.
Speaker 3: It's not I'm not needed around here. That's why you guys are like, why don't you just go have a baby soon. We don't even want you on the show anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, step out of the room.
Speaker 2: Actually, I've got the wheel from here. But one of our beautiful community members message just actually this week about income protection and how we've been talking about it, and they just said how grateful they were because they had gotten income protection since listening to the show. Did they actually a little while ago, And unfortunately they were recently diagnosed with cancer and they they are now obviously going through treatment and we're sending them so much love and so many good vibes. But she said that she was so grateful because she can just focus on her recovery and doing what she needs to do because she has her income protection and she's fully sortied.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it breaks my heart because these conditions are serious and awful and no one should have to experience them, but if you are going to experience them, at least you don't have to worry about money.
Speaker 2: Like she was so positive. She was like, it's she seems like really confident and really positive about her situation. And yeah, the fact that she had listened in thought and put that in place to be able to put herself and I was just it made us so happy to hear. Yeah, and we're sending everyone listening to the pot right now send her a good thought yeah, please take a mama. I love it totally.
Speaker 3: I love it, and it sounds like you've had a rough time. You sound so young and you've had a heart attack, Like holy guacamole. One queen behavior getting through that. But two, don't be afraid of reaching out for advice on income protection or any type of insurance when it comes to like personal insurances.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: This is why last week I had feel from Skywealth on the show, because I want to show you that it is not as overwhelming as often can seem. Like Jess, you've been through the whole income protection, whole financial advice kit and kaboodle with Phil, and I can almost put words in your mouth and say it wasn't nearly as overwhelming as you thought.
Speaker 2: It would be.
Speaker 3: So the thing with your pre existing condition, which is what it's going to be seen as, is yes, you are correct. That is a conversation that is going to have to come up. This is why I would never ask you or recommend that you go and get a retail policy on your own. I need you to go and talk to a good financial advisor about this because that is a pre existing condition that you are correct will hinder your application. But it does not mean it will be declined. It means that there is very likely going to be an exclusion on your policy. So this is going to sound really awful, But you might have something else happen to you.
Speaker 4: You might end up ultimately and.
Speaker 3: Let's say it was yesterday, because we would never ill wish something into the future, but yesterday you were diagnosed with cancer, even though you have had a pre.
Speaker 4: Existing condition of a heart attack.
Speaker 3: If we know that they aren't linked, you will usually still be covered under income protection. Same with mental health, same with everything else. You might get an exclusion, and they'll say, look, let's use Jess as an example, because I'm happy to divulge her personal you know, information on me here right, So, Jess, I know that one of your knees is excluded because you had a pre existing condition in it. That is just your Is it your left knee, it's your right knee. Left, it's your left knee. So Jess, if something happens to her left knee, your insurer is going to say, look, Jess, Rudy, it was a bit bung already, we're not going to cover that. But if something happened to your right knee, they're going to cover that right, and the same with your heart attack. They're going to say, look, I'm so sorry that that happened. We will offer you a completely comprehensive policy, but not include heart attack. So anything could happen and you will look after you. But because you have already had one heart attack, and at the end of the day, we do a lot of underwriting and we look at the risk.
Speaker 4: There's a probability that you'll.
Speaker 3: Have another heart attack, and we don't really want to take that risk on. So we'll help you in every other which way. But if you have another heart attack, you can't claim on this policy, and you might go Great. That works for me because I actually want to make sure that I'm covered holistically in the rest of my life.
Speaker 4: The heart attack thing, it really bloody sucks.
Speaker 2: That it's excluded.
Speaker 3: And that's why I always implore people to get income protection and their life insurance and everything set up before something happens, because no one wants a major life event. No one expects that to happen to them, like no one wants to have a bung knee from playing sport. But the younger you get it, the more likely you are to get a policy that has absolutely no exclusions. But now you're in this position, I would absolutely be sitting down with someone like Phil and saying, hey, I have had a heart attack. How do I protect myself from everything else? Yeah, And that is definitely f No one's going to decline it based on that, and a good financial advisor is going to go right, you're kind of a special case because you do have a really big pre existing condition.
Speaker 2: They're going to shop it around.
Speaker 3: They're not going to submit an application that ultimately gets declined. I do not know a financial advisor who would knowingly submit an application that could get declined. And I've even been in the position as the financial advisor when I was one where I had submitted an application for a client.
Speaker 4: They had told me that they had told me everything.
Speaker 3: And I get a call from the underwriter and they're like, hey, so we requested their medical history and this pre existing condition came up. Were you privy to that because it wasn't in their application form? And I go, no, please let me get back to you. And so then I call the client and say, hey, client, you know, Jess, you didn't tell me about your knee. And that's actually just come up in underwriting. The underwriter has called me and said, hey, this has come up, but you didn't disclose it, like what's going on? And then I can have a conversation with you about what we do moving forward. And then usually in that situation, I'll call the underwriter back at the insurance company like, hey, I've had a chat with the client, like it's not ongoing, what's your probability of declining this application because of my client's knee, And they'll go, oh, look, it's just a knee. We'll probably you know, probably won't do anything. We'll just exclude it and so we're not going to cover it, and go Okay, no worries.
Speaker 2: That's the outcome I was expecting.
Speaker 3: Or they might go, well, actually that's a really big thing, you know, at the moment, we're really cracking down on this that the other.
Speaker 2: And then as the financial.
Speaker 3: Advisor, I have said, okay, well at this point, I would like to withdraw my application and I'm going to go back and speak to my client potentially change insurers because I do not want my client to get a decline. I do not want that on their record. And Jess, as you would know, you filled out forms. One of the questions they ask is have you ever been declined insurance from another insurer before? And you have to disclose that and if I withdraw your application because I'm on top of it, you say, well, no, no, I haven't been declined.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Never.
Speaker 3: So I think it's really important to work with a good financial advisor that has your back but also has a really good relationship with those insurers. Because Jess I might go all right, well, sorry, I know I recommended Zurich, but that.
Speaker 2: Was because you didn't tell me you had this condition.
Speaker 3: Let me go redo my applications, and this time we're going to apply with MLC, or we might apply with AIA or a different insurer because I know that their policy is a little bit different or a little bit more flexible, or you know, we can ask for an exclusion on.
Speaker 2: That before they enforce it.
Speaker 3: So I think that's a very long way of saying, please just talk to a financial advisor. It's not silly, it's not dumb. In fact, it's putting future you in the best possible position. Yeah, yep, amen, true, that's what I meant.
Speaker 4: Should we dive in, I'm ready, are you ready?
Speaker 2: Absolutely ready?
Speaker 3: Drop yourselves in we have the DM of the week. All right, here's the DM we received. Hello, she's on the money. So I'm moving overseas and was doing a big wardrobe chuck out as I can't take everything with me. One of my best friends was over at the time and she loved so many of.
Speaker 4: The items I was getting rid of.
Speaker 3: I was planning on dropping them all off at my local Salvos as I am moving in a couple of weeks and don't have time to bother selling any of it. So when she said she loved the items, I told her to just have them, as I was going to give them away anyways. They were pretty good quality things. Address and a skirt from Age, a bunch of country road items, shoes from Tony Bianco.
Speaker 4: You get the point. It was pretty nice stuff.
Speaker 3: Turns out she didn't actually quote love it all that much, as she went and sold all of it on Facebook and made herself some cash.
Speaker 4: I'm so mad.
Speaker 3: I kindly gave her these items that could have gone to a much better cause at the Salvos and she's just made money off my old stuff. I feel like I should be getting fifty percent of her profit. Question Mark exclamation mark, question mark do you think she's in the wrong? And how do I actually bring this up with her? This is a bit guicy. Look at your little pie. You're spicy, spicy.
Speaker 5: I love this. I would say, I don't think she has any Maybe she can't get any of the money. I would say, I would just be like that does feel a bit sneaky, though, doesn't it to Like it feels a bit manipulative to be like, oh my god, those clothes are so nice. But if you kind of came in and said up front, or if your friend had set up front, like, hey, I'll take these off your hands, I'll sell them because they actually are really really good, Like if you can't.
Speaker 4: Be by, can I?
Speaker 3: But then you would have at least had the ability to go no, no, no, Like you know, I can't be bothered selling them. Actually kind of want them to go to the Salvos. That's going to a good cause. Like that's a different I don't know, I feel like that's a different story that you had choice in. Yeah, but ultimately you gave them to her because she loved them, so she can kind of now do what she wants with them.
Speaker 2: I suppose, Yeah, I See that's where I'm torn, because like part of me feels like this is how I feel about regifting, in the sense that once you give something to someone, they can do whatever they want with it. Yes, ye jui. And so I'm kind of torn because pardon me, says, you know what, like, particularly because you were going to give it away anyway. I think if you were selling it and your friend said, oh, I really like that, I'd love to buy it off you, and you said, oh nah, they just have it like you're I mean happy for you to take it, I think I would feel differently about that. But because you were giving it away anyway, your outcome really hasn't been that different. But I also can completely understand how you feel, like, you know, maybe you wish she had just set it up front, like if that was the plan, tell me that that's the plan. Yeah, I'm so torn because, yeah, I think that when someone has something, that's out of your hands as to what they do with it. But at the same time, it is a little sneaky. And if it had been one thing I guess too, like maybe she'd try it on a dress and it didn't fit her and she was like, oh, well, maybe I'll sell it on. I mean, she could have given it away, but I don't know. I'm really into minds on this one.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Jesse.
Speaker 3: If I gifted your address and said, hey, don't need this anymore or whatever it is, and then you took it home and tried it on and it didn't fit, I feel like you.
Speaker 4: Would call yeah, like, oh it didn't fit. Do you want me to return it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Whatever?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I feel like it's the lack of communication that feels relatively inauthentic, like you too, but.
Speaker 2: I really love it, And then that I guess, yeah, that is a bit.
Speaker 3: That's the extra thing you didn't just I don't know because I've done this before where I've been like, oh, Jess, you take it. I'm never gonna wear this, Like I don't even care, Like I just want to get rid of it, can't be bothered. Yeah, if I then saw that online, I wouldn't care so much. But because you know, if you'd been lubing me up for say.
Speaker 2: No, but.
Speaker 4: Would I love it?
Speaker 3: But if you had Bee and you said, oh I really love that Bee, and I go, oh, well, Jess, you can have it, I'm sorry, what do you mean you love it so that it can line your pockets.
Speaker 2: Well, especially the expensive stuff. I guess because you use that example, like you have given me a few of your like nicer dresses and I.
Speaker 3: Congess is like, and then I went and sold them.
Speaker 2: And I love them and I wear them and like they're Yeah, I guess, like the price point maybe could be. It's not as if it was a twenty dollars cotton on dressed to you know, if.
Speaker 4: I give you something, you sell it. I don't care, just personally, like you go you do you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good? Farther away, I'll take all my listings off. Deep No, but yeah, like I can see that, And I guess it depends on time to like if someone given it to her and she'd warn it and it had been a while, maybe, I don't know. It's a lot of pray for me.
Speaker 3: But to steal it down, yes, to steal it down and make a few assumptions so that we can have a more clear opinion. This happened within a week, I reckon. So let's pretend you were cleaning out your clothes and the week after you saw them online, you saw them on Facebook and deep hoop, I.
Speaker 2: Probably would be a bit missed. I'm not gonna lie as much as you wait for me to leave the country, like as much as I yeah, like logically there's all of those other things. I think I probably would.
Speaker 3: If it was months, I'd be like, well, they were their items that they wore, but let's pretend it was a week. I feel like that's a bit calculated and your friend didn't do it. But the question was how do I bring it up? Do I bring it up?
Speaker 2: I don't think you can. This is the thing I would bring it up.
Speaker 5: I would bring it up because it feels like, especially if you intend on being a friend with this person for life, because it's technically on page but nothing they're doing is illegal.
Speaker 2: They're allowed to do all of these things.
Speaker 5: But it's so for me the pit of my belly, it's saying that it's manipulative, it's yucky. It it feels like they lied about something. It feels like they literally performed in front of you. So you would give them your clothes and just because they had the intention, let's say this, how would you do it?
Speaker 2: How would you do it?
Speaker 5: I think I would just I would mess them or if I'm going to see them in person, be better, just like kind of like do it gently. But hey, I noticed that you're selling literally all the clothes that you said you wanted to wear, which is totally fine. I just want to know, if my own peace of mind, was this your intention all along or did you have a change of heart last minute, Because if it's change of heart last minute, I'm comfortable with this dynamic.
Speaker 2: But if it was on your.
Speaker 5: Mind the whole time, I feel very uncomfortable knowing that we were sat in that room together, you were kind of like doing this whole song and dance theatrical thing. Those clothes are so lovely lying to me. That's a very uncommonfortable feeling, and I.
Speaker 3: Can't No one wants to feel like they're being lied to, Like, not one person totally. I'd just be petty and screenshot and send it to them and be like, would you take fifty bucks? But yeah, true, Like I love this too, Like it's a bit expensive, though, don't you reckon?
Speaker 2: I can I get any shit you down? They got fifty seventy, we do fifty?
Speaker 3: Will you do free?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Ideally free?
Speaker 5: But also, like you know, there's a function like when you're actually uploading things on the marketplace, you can say you can.
Speaker 4: For your friends. Yes, Like that also.
Speaker 2: Makes you think maybe it wasn't Maybe they think about it.
Speaker 5: I think it was malicious, And so there's a whole nother kettle of fish.
Speaker 3: Maybe your friend is just a bit daft, Like there could be a few things. So we asked the community. We said, do you think your friend is in the wrong. It's not going to come as a surprise eighty six percent if you said yes, one hundred percent. What she did feels very calculated. We then asked, do you think the friends should split the money she made? So that was another layer to the conversation that I don't think so No. So like you didn't do any of the work. You gave it away essentially for free, which you were going to you anyway, which we were going to do anyway. You said you couldn't be bothered selling it, which tells me that you never saw any financial gain in this, but now you've seen somebody else have financial gain. It's kind of like the question of like, if I gave you a lot of ticket, Jess, and you want one hundred million dollars, do I get anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like I gave the gift out of my own free will. But now you've benefited more significantly than I have.
Speaker 2: Like I've heard he having families having fights when they get like a scratchy and they're stocking on Christmas and someone wins like five hundred bucks and they go, oh, well I bought that, And so you're totally right, like it's the gift thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it's the gift thing. You should be giving a gift with absolutely no expectation of reciprocation, I think. But we did say, do you think the friends should split the money she made? Forty five percent of you said yeah, it's the right thing to do, seven percent said nope, she did all the work to sell them, and forty.
Speaker 4: Eight percent said she doesn't have to, but she should.
Speaker 3: At least offer like the friends should offer, which is so fair. And then my favorite part was what would you say to your friend if this was you? We said, ah, I should have gotten you to run a wardrobe sale for me.
Speaker 4: Didn't realize you were.
Speaker 2: Keen on it. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: This is my favorite bart because these women in my dms right now, they're as petty as I am.
Speaker 4: Welcome Queen.
Speaker 3: Someone else said, glad you found a good home for the clothes. Would you be up for joint charity donation?
Speaker 2: That's a good happy medium.
Speaker 3: Someone said, been nice knowing you. Someone said it would be over simple as that. Just wouldn't talk to them. I would ditch them as a friend. Someone said, wouldn't be my friend anymore. Simples. Anybody says simples, I just think of that little.
Speaker 2: Bit meat symbols. Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 3: There's been some other colorful response is I'm not going to read out sure, so we hear them off here.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'll read them.
Speaker 3: I will share the screenshot, a screenshot all of these to share with the team later. Anyway, someone said, oh, look, you made some good money off my wardrobe. I noticed you've got everything listed for sale. And then give her a chance to offer or split some of the profits, letting her know that you know, because you might not know that you can see or would even check.
Speaker 4: Lots of you said.
Speaker 3: That you would just ignore it and not be happy with it. But it seems that the general consensus is that most of you would not be happy about this situation.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you should deal with it.
Speaker 3: I think you need to sit down and think about the personality of your friend or you know.
Speaker 4: The situation that you have.
Speaker 3: Is this actually going to put a spanner in the works, because I mean going up to your friend and being like, oh, I didn't realize you needed the money for this. Like they might be just trying to do their best to get ahead. There might be in a heap of debt and they were really stressed and saw an opportunity.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just think everything should be approached with kindness, and ultimately, from my perspective, you were leaving the country, we're going to donate them anyway. You definitely did still donate them.
Speaker 5: Totally knowing that you have the validation of all in the right place.
Speaker 2: Yes, everyone's back in.
Speaker 5: So you're not You're not like in the wrong for being wrong.
Speaker 4: But do we need to create drama?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 2: Sure, think about that. You might not be you know whatever.
Speaker 3: I think that's a good place to leave it this week, guys, think so. We hope you have the best weekend. We hope you enjoy Valentine's Day. And next week, Jess, you and I we're gonna be asking beck about our dates.
Speaker 2: Come back then.
Speaker 4: We can't wait to see you.
Speaker 2: Bye. Bye, guys Bye.
Speaker 6: The ad buy shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 3: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 6: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sherper P T y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight afs L four five one two eight nine