Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Sitdown. I'm viv Christie, Managing editor for Australian Tennis magazine.
Speaker 2: And I'm Metrolope, a writer and editor for ozopen dot com. And viv why are we sitting down this week with Babora Kotchikova.
Speaker 1: Well, Matt, Babora is obviously check and check. Tennis is back in the spotlight after Lynda Oskova won Wimbledon, and that's a tournament that Barbora also won in twenty twenty four, and she's also back in the spotlight. She's recently won a tournament in Athens, She's having great results at other tournaments and is charging back up the rankings.
Speaker 2: That's right, Vivin you mentioned twenty twenty four, it was kind of eerie you sat down with Barbora on the eve of Wimbledon, a tournament that she went on to win, and that really cemented her status as one of the greats of the game as a multiple major champion. And also she's just played in Prague and we've seen that WTA tournament last week. More great crowds and just another reminder of how popular and enduring the sport of tennis is In the Czech Republic, and I guess how Kojikiva has made herself one of the greats of the sport in that country, and.
Speaker 1: She touches on all those topics and a lot more in this interview. Babora, thank you for joining us today on the sit down. You're joining us from Wimburedin, where, of course there's a great history of Czech champions. How does it feel to return to this venue.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I really want to thank you for having me. It's very it's very nice to be part of part of this and I mean being back here in a band bladd on we have where we have a really huge history of another chech tennis players winning or reaching very very far. I mean, it's it's great. It's always nice to be here because this tournament is very very traditional and.
Speaker 4: I like this.
Speaker 3: I like the history of the tournament, so I'm super I'm super excited to be here and and started tournament very soon.
Speaker 1: What memories do you have of Wimburden from when you were growing up.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting question because when I was growing up, it wasn't really that much about wim blood On for me, as I mean, I'm not coming really from the family that is like a sports family, so it wasn't really that much about the tennis. It was more about the education in our house. So I guess it was a little bit a little bit later. And I mean the memory that I remember from Wimbladon is more when I was like sixteen seventeen and actually trying to play the juniors, the Juniors championship and playing a year on court nineteen that is not here anymore, and playing my first round, losing the first round, and playing very late in the evening and it was already slippery, and I remember I was like running to the net and I kind of hit the ball, but I fell and I fell on my butt. That so that was very so the next day. So these are the I mean, these are the this is the very first memory that that you know, that I can remember of right right now that's connected to connected to Vimbladon for me.
Speaker 1: Had you played much cross court tennis before then?
Speaker 3: No, it was actually actually first time he had the Vimveton. But the only tournament I played before there was a rehabtan And also I think I played there my first match and this was my maybe second.
Speaker 1: Can you take our listeners. Back to your start in tennis, you said you went from a very sporting family. How did you get started in tennis?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I started, well, I started.
Speaker 3: I started because I have two older brothers, and one of them went to play tennis. He went with his like schoolmates and friends. And I was little, I was like maybe three or four years old then, and me and my mom we went with him so my mom could look after him. And because I was this small, I went. I went with my mom and and I got like a like a little board, okay, and I was like trying to hit the ball with the board like against the wall. So this is I think, I mean, this is this is how I studied. But to be honest, I don't remember that. That's how I only I only have this, uh, this from my my my family telling me.
Speaker 1: And who would you say has been the biggest influence in your career?
Speaker 4: Wow? So many people? Definitely not just one.
Speaker 3: I mean starting with my family, with my parents, with my brothers, going through my first tennis coach, uh, then practicing more in in Borno, in a city that is like thirty minutes from the place where my parents lived, and then moving to the national that is center later on than uh. Having Yao Nas my tennis coach when I finished juniors, and then having other other coaches, so so many, so many people have been a big, big influence in my in my tennis career.
Speaker 1: And in your career. You've had quite an unusual path in that you thrived first in doubles, then you had your singles breakthrough at Roland Garrals. How did double Did doubles provide the foundation for that success?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, the doubles definitely helped. It definitely put me on the big, big stages before like with somebody, like with my partner, So it was a little bit like better to to manage to handle and it I think it gave me a lot of just like mental mental help or support to to be to be able to uh, I mean put it into into the singles and to feel good when I was playing on a bigger stages.
Speaker 4: But I was there alone when you won.
Speaker 1: Roll and Garols, it was only your fifth Grandsam Mandral. Did you surprise yourself at that point?
Speaker 4: Definitely? Yes.
Speaker 3: In Czech Republic, I never I never really felt like the player that's gonna that that is that talented and that good to to you know, to make it and to win, to win a slam, So it was it was a big surprise. But also on the other hand, I was really really working hard during the during twenty twenty during the COVID and really try to improve and and finally get to the top one hundred and and then in twenty twenty one, everything everything clicked and so far this was this was I think my my my best best year.
Speaker 4: It was the best year of my career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it absolutely was your best year of your career. Because you also won a gold medal that year, that must have been very special as well.
Speaker 3: Definitely, definitely that year was was amazing with all the results that I was able to achieve a loan, but also I was able to achieve with my with my with my doubles partner. So I mean, winning the winning the Olympic gold metaphor for Czech Republic was was was a huge thing and it was very nice because we could really, I mean we could celebrate it in the in the Czech house in in in Tokyo, and and it was just a different, different feeling and different experience to to share this with different athleasts from from different sports what does.
Speaker 1: It mean to represent your nation at the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Any I mean, for me, any representation of my country, if it's during the Olympics but also during the team competition is a huge olor. It's a it's a very it's a very big deal. I want to do well when I'm playing for my country. And and I mean, I'm I'm really I'm really enjoying that because when I mean, when I was growing up, I was watching Olympics, I was also watching the tennis team competition and be very really really successful. So I was hoping that one day I can maybe get that far and be part of the team. And and I mean, I'm really happy that I am, and that also that I can represent during during the Olympics.
Speaker 1: There are currently eight check women inside the top one hundred in both singles and in doubles. Do you feel like a role model to some of the other check players.
Speaker 4: If I feel like that?
Speaker 3: No, But I think it's maybe the question on on the on the different different players and maybe more of the upcoming generation that are like right now playing playing juniors.
Speaker 1: Are you close as a group on TUA.
Speaker 4: No, not really.
Speaker 3: Now I think it's I think tennis is very very individual, and I don't or me personally. I mean, I was quite close with my doubles partner, I think, but I mean the rest of the rest of the players, I'm not really I'm not really that that that close, that close with them.
Speaker 1: Is it hard to have close friendships in a sport like tennis.
Speaker 3: I think it's just very individual. I think everybody is different. And I mean, if somebody likes to have a person here that is the best friend, it's fine. If somebody doesn't, I think it's fine as well. I mean, it can get complicated, but somebody can handle that better somebody somebody not so very I think, very very individual.
Speaker 1: Wimbur And last year you came in, you'd reached a final long Grass, and then you had to retire here in the second round. Does I give you added motivation for this year?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the motivation here is obviously every single year, very very high. And I really want to do well during the during this Sert event, and I mean also any other tournament.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I mean, but I'm not really like setting like really like high high goals because also this year I was quite quite injured and ill, and it wasn't so far besides the Austrian Open a good season. So I just want to get the first win and I'm gonna go from there and see how far I can I can go.
Speaker 1: And you did start your year by reaching the quarterfinals at the Australian Open. What does that tournament mean for you?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm in. For me, Australia is very special.
Speaker 3: I mean since a junior, I was you know, this is the country that is the that is the most far from from us from in Europe, and I always wanted to visit and I was always hoping that I can get there, and then during juniors I was able to fly there. I mean the flight is not very nice, but I mean the country is amazing. I really liked Melbourne as a junior and I was hoping that one day in a pro I'll be able to come back. And I mean it's great that I'm coming back. It's great that I was able to reach the quarters in singles this year. So far, I think it's the I think it's the best best result and I'm really proud about this result. And also I I with Katkab won doubles there twice in in a row and and also with uh some other like mixed doubles player or with with the men's players. I want three times in the row mixed doubles. So for me to be honest, I have the most trophies from Australia. So it's it's it's it's a very very special place for me.
Speaker 4: Where are the those trophies?
Speaker 1: Where do you keep them?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I have them so far right now, I have them in my in my parents' house. But when I'm going to get to the point when I get my own house, They're going to be in my own house.
Speaker 1: And just to finish up. When you look back at your starting tennis, what advice would you give to your younger self, Uh, what I would say?
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: I mean for me, like when I was growing up, I think I had everything that I needed. Like back then, I wouldn't change your thing. And for me, the most important thing was to enjoy and not to be really like pushed, to have the freedom to decide what I want to do, what I don't want to do. And I think I was able. I got that, I was able to do that. So for me, I think this is the most important. But it's individually for me, I think for a group of upcoming players, I think it's important to have fun, to enjoy the tennis, to be happy, to go for the practices, to be happy to spend the time around the court, and I think to be dedicated to work hard and to I mean dream big and go for it.
Speaker 1: Well, Matt, it was amazing to listen to that interview again with the benefit of hindsight. I was reminded of lots of things, but especially how Babora had this lovely humility about her, even though she'd already won a Grand Slam title, which had surprised her. Needless to say, I was very invested in her Wimbledon campaign that.
Speaker 2: Year, absolutely, And also you talk about that humility, I mean even listening to her expectations. When you chatted to her before Wimbledon and you asked her what her goals were, it was about just winning the first round hopefully and getting into the tournament from there. And it's quite amazing to hear a major champion say that who's kind of gone the whole way before. Her expectations were quite low, but yeah, amazing to see what she went on to do after you chatted to her, and it was really cool to revisit that this week.
Speaker 1: And we'll be back next week with another episode of The sit Down. Please remember to subscribe so you never miss an episode, and we'd love you to leave us a rating or a review. See you next week, Matt, see them you've