Speaker 1: Just before we get started, we'd like to acknowledge and pay respect to Australia's Aboriginal and torrest Rate islander peoples. They're the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the skies all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring for the land on which we are able to learn. We pay respects to elders past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money, She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our shot back Money Diary mondays, where we get to chat to one of our beautiful community members, learn about them, their money, their life, and ask all the juicy details that Victoria Vine you love to know them.
Speaker 3: I am so pervy.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you all about our diarists, so, she said. My dad is the son of Polish refugees. I am one of ten children and we grew up in an overcrowded working class home. I have always had social justice in my heart. I worked three to four hospital jobs while studying political science and was the first of my siblings to earn a degree. In my mid twenties, I had a daughter in a relationship which has long since ended. When I was thirty three, my daughter was six years old, I landed my first CE equivalent role. The job was a non for profit membership organization of fifty two thousand and when I left two weeks ago, it was almost eighty two thousand people strong. It was my dream job and aligned completely with my values. I also had taken up roles on a number of different boards and have been honing my skills and have a growing interest in good governance. Five years ago I met a climate change campaigner who I married and had a second baby with, and my story continues to grow.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 1: How cool you're literally living your own dream.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Hi, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, now, thank you for coming on. I'm really excited to hear about your journey. Congrats on being the first of your siblings to get a degree.
Speaker 3: How cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it was really great, but it was because it was so drummed into us to never accumulate ditch that no one else wanted to get a student loan.
Speaker 1: So oh yeah, that makes so much. Ye, I'll take it right, Well, you'll take it.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Let's get straight into this because I want to learn all about you. The first question is can you tell us a bit more about your money story?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Sure.
Speaker 5: So I was raised one of the metal children of ten and a family of twelve, and we grew up in a neighborhood kind of closely with our grandparents and some aunties and uncles and so on, and so money was always really tight in our family. We had a lot of Vidgy's grown in the backyard. My mum sowed our clothes and mended them and adjusted the hand me downs and that sort of stuff. But it was something my parents kind of argued about a little bit, and like I.
Speaker 4: Said, we were taught dick was a bad thing.
Speaker 5: However, I went off and got a student loan right after all, and my twenties were kind of a mixed bag of you know, living worth quite low wages, having my daughter trying to paid down my student loan, et cetera.
Speaker 4: And then eventually I worked my.
Speaker 5: Way into a senior role in a kind of four purpose not for profit area, which is where I always wanted to work.
Speaker 4: I always knew I would work for something that related to my values, whether that was paid or not paid.
Speaker 5: And I was very fortunate that that was paid work because it's allowed me to also have a great time in my thirties and then now going into my forties as well.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it sounds like as much as money was a little bit tight growing up, that sounds really wholesome. Like I don't know, just the idea that you know, you had veggies growing in the backyard and your mum fixed things. It just sounds like it was a house full of love by the way that you are explaining it, And obviously everyone can't see your face, but like you just glowed when you said that.
Speaker 3: I was like, how sweet.
Speaker 5: And I love my siblings, which is not you know, something that's always the case in a large family. But yeah, right, upbringing, I didn't have a lot, but we were happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that is so sweet and I definitely got that vibe for him when you were explaining it, I was like, oh, like, I love this. I wish i'd don knew then. All right, next question, I want to know more about your work. What do you do for work and how much money do you earn?
Speaker 5: So I've been an underutilized worker or unemployed for the last two months.
Speaker 4: I left my role back in March.
Speaker 5: And I was leading New Zealand's largest trade union at the time, WOW, which was a great honor. It was amazing to work with such an incredible bunch of people. And like I said, it was a dream job. Just a job you can't really do forever, I would say. And I had set myself a seven year goal and I reached about seven and a half years. I didn't anticipate COVID. That made it a little bit harder, but I was earning when I left one hundred and seventy thousand dollars for annim WOW. Which I've got to say, it feels.
Speaker 4: Very uncomfortable still for me to say out loud. I know that guilt about your own income.
Speaker 5: It doesn't remedy the inequalities and hero and capitalism and stuff like that. But it's difficult to say that knowing how much other people are struggling, especially right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but there it is.
Speaker 1: I totally get that. But I also look at it and go, well, your role was so impactful. That's absolutely worth it. And the time and the energy and the effort you put into it. I think there's a lot of guilt, but it's more because there's a level of comparison that you're drawing when you look at that, instead of looking at your own achievement where you're at. I think that when it comes to our own salaries really shouldn't be comparing it. We should just be looking at our own situations and what that means for us, and how that means that you can pour from an even more full cup. Right, Like, you're only able to do what you can do because you can look after your kids and look after your world. And I don't know, I feel like you deserve every cent of that. So I hate hearing that You're like, oh, but other people are doing badly. I'm like, yeah, that's why you do what you do, my love, that's why you're working in that industry, so you can change the world.
Speaker 4: To lift all the boats, you know, with your fide rises.
Speaker 3: Exactly, exactly, all right. I want to know what is your big money goal.
Speaker 5: I would have called this a lifestyle goal, but of course I need money to do it. So when I think of myself in twenty years time, in my six days, I want to work half of the year. I want to be obviously mortgage free, but I'd like to work six months of the year and then spend the other six months volunteering or doing some sort of passion project or visiting the grandchildren.
Speaker 4: I hope I'll have.
Speaker 5: Or you know, just traveling to meet friends overseas, you know, if that ever happens again. I don't want to have to work every day all day, and I want to enjoy my health while I have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. How are you working towards that at the moment?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I'm pain obviously more than I have to off my mortgage, and it's sort of chipping away at it to help us to get mortgage free and maintaining our physical and mental health as well, so that we can play the long game. Because when you do work in kind of for purpose spaces and your activists, that can be quite easy to kind of work.
Speaker 4: Yourself until you burn out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so I think taking you know, being a bit more mature about our approach to say hour, I mean, mine and my husband, we're both in the space to sort of focus on, yeah, twenty years from now rather than next week.
Speaker 1: I think that's really smart because people who are in these spaces are so wildly driven and it ends up being to their own demise because you burn yourself out. You need to make sure that you are looking after you so that you can look after the world.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I feel like your mindset around that is so important. Next question I have do you have any investments? If so, what are they?
Speaker 5: Yes, it currently have twenty thousand dollars in a managed fund. I did have more last year, but when I planned to take a year off work, we kind of reconfigured stuff and we could see that interest rates would be rising, and like I said, we're focusing on paying down the mortgage, so we took some of our investments and paid that down off the mortgage. So I'm interested in what you have to say about that, whether there was a good decision or not. But it could make me feel a little bit more comfortable about then stepping out of paid work for it for.
Speaker 1: The I feel like that's an important decision that you made that was in line with making you feel comfortable, and just the financial side of things doesn't make it the right decision.
Speaker 3: A lot of people always like what's the best.
Speaker 1: Outcome or what's the best investment Victoria, and it's like, well, it's actually very easy to work out what the best quote performing asset is because you can look up historical performance and you can see what that might look like. But that doesn't mean that for your situation, that's the right asset or the right decision to make sure that you're comfortable and thriving and doing everything that you want to do to achieve your goals.
Speaker 3: And that's where it's so hard to go.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if that was the right decision, but if you're really excited about it, it made you feel super comfortable and now you're doing what you said you were going to do. Like, that's not a bad decision, is it.
Speaker 4: No? Yes?
Speaker 1: Sorry, Sorry about the personal finance twist there, but it's one of those things. I don't know your entire personal financial situation. I am endeavoring to learn more on this episode of Money Darries. I promise we will dive a lot deeper than I would on a Facebook post in our group. But it's really important to understand that if that's the thing that made you super comfortable with taking a year off, then arguably that was the best decision for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because also not working, I wouldn't be contributing as much to the fund.
Speaker 4: So I just sort of thought if we had to refix at a.
Speaker 5: High mortgage rate, and I'm not feeding my investments, and maybe that's just something I can sort of sit and.
Speaker 4: Forget for the year. I don't know, I'll poke it back up when I'm in paid employment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is absolutely fair. All right.
Speaker 1: Next question, you mentioned a mortgage. The answer is yes, but do you have any debts? If so, what are they?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So currently three hundred and fifty thousand dollars mortgages.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's a house.
Speaker 1: No credit card, no credit cards, no student, don't loan anymore.
Speaker 4: No go rid of bit when I was thirty two.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, how cool. All right?
Speaker 1: Next question, I know you're over in New Zealand, you're across the ditch, but do you shot back?
Speaker 4: No? I don't think we can you shot back over here.
Speaker 3: We'll rally for it.
Speaker 5: I do know of an app over here called Bennie, which is a similar idea to shop back, but it has an obligatory portion of it goes to a charity. Oh, co nominate your charity and so you can sort of accumulate your little fund of savings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's called Bennie and they're just starting out. But I really like the idea of the ethos behind it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I'm not much of an online shopper.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, how cool.
Speaker 1: All right, next question, I feel like you probably have a couple of these. What is your best money habit?
Speaker 5: Oh, I have to say it's that I'm a saver, you know, it's just boring.
Speaker 4: I've been saving for either.
Speaker 5: I do want to say though, that when I was in my minimum waged work, I wasn't supporting another human beings, it was a little bit easier.
Speaker 4: But I've always put.
Speaker 5: Aside money, even when I was in hospitality work. And occasionally it's been a bit rough and I haven't been able to, but as my income's crept up or jumped up, as it has over my life, I've tried to put it away more so that I'm ahead of.
Speaker 4: The kind of lifestyle creep. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I've always been putting into superannuation, a little bit of investments, as you know, and a savings account if I can.
Speaker 3: So, Yeah, where did that come from?
Speaker 1: How did you know when you were younger that that was a priority because so many of us just don't have that level of financial literacy to go, this is important, and we end up just spending everything that comes into our accounts. Like, where do you think that came from?
Speaker 5: I think it really did come from that hard message from my parents that you should never get into get if you can help it, that if you.
Speaker 4: Want something, you should pay for it outright.
Speaker 5: And then the first thing I ever wanted to do was to travel overseas as a teenager. So it's not something you can hire purchase, right. I had to save up my money and pay for that ticket, and I just sort of got into the habit of if I wanted something, I would save for it and I would make it happen that way. So it is a bit weird because when I started retirement savings, it was before there was a compulsory superannuation scheme in New Zealand. So I kind of thank my younger self a little bit for having the foresight to go, Okay, I'm in a job, I should be putting something away for when I'm in my sixties, because that's not I think what most teenagers are.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not, that's why. I'm like, where is this coming from? Because that's actually crazy smart, but not something that a lot of us do or even prioritize, because even I know when I was first working, there's no chance, like you could have told me exactly what it was. And we're in Australia, so superannuation from my entire career has been compulsory. And I still was like, that's waste money. I don't know why we're doing that.
Speaker 3: That's joke.
Speaker 1: And now I'm like, you put more in your super, my friend, you get it. So I think it's really important to talk at these things because it's funny when we compare ourselves to people like you Money direst. We'll go, well, she's doing so well. We're like, well, that's of course you started so long ago. And you said, oh, it's pretty boring. I'm just a really good saver. Like, yes, that's the best part of financial literacy. It can be really boring. There's no like magic wand or super exciting outcome that we have to discover. It's actually just a spend less than you earn and save regularly and consistently and think about investing and talk about super or talk about keyway saver or talk about whatever is going to put you in the best possible position, and.
Speaker 3: People like that can't be it. No, no, no, no, sit down. That's all we've got.
Speaker 1: So it is really exciting when you talk about it and people are it's boring. I'm like, no, no, actually that's the answer, Like that's perfect. Let's flip this though, what's your worst money have it?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: So I thought of two. In case you roll my first one out of order, I pull you out. My first one is that I'm not a risk taker. And this kind of goes to the whole boring plotting along saving, you know, dollar after dollar thing, which you know, was how I got into my first property and all of that sort of stuff. But when I think back to saving for my superannuation, as you know, in my early twenties, I was still going for like kind of balanced investments instead of and now I look back and I think that's the one time in my life I could have been a little less risk averse, you know, I mean, maybe then I wouldn't have had as much when I withdrew it to pay for my first property, you know, the deposit on my first property.
Speaker 4: But I don't know. I just there are a few.
Speaker 5: Decisions I've made over time that I look back on and think, maybe I could have been a little bit more you know, risk taking. I almost bought a studio apartment straight out of university that was going cheap in my neighborhood.
Speaker 4: I was a single woman and my first you know, full time.
Speaker 5: Job, and I talked to myself out of it, going I know, I will never resell a studio apartment.
Speaker 4: It's too small. You know, it's on a main road, blah blah blah. And of course, you know the way that Auckland property, no property would have been.
Speaker 1: Like a studio apartments basically all people can afford now in Auckland, So that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it would have been a great investment for me at that time and a place to live. Of course, I had some dodgy flat mates been there. Made a bad decision, but yeah, so I mean maybe I could have taken a few more risks.
Speaker 1: I find that super interesting as well, because hindsight's twenty twenty. Imagine if the flip happened and you were like, I'm so glad that I was really risk averse because it saved my butt. If something bad had happened in the economy financially, Like, I just think that you would have been really grateful for that. So I think that looking back at past decisions that we've made, it doesn't help us, but it means that you can actually look at it now and go, how does this shape the decisions I make tomorrow or the decisions I make for future me Because I think too many times we reprimand past selves by being like, oh, I could have just been more risky, or I could have done that better, or I wish I just saved more. Like I think we all look at it like I look at it. Sometimes I'm like, I wish that I just wasn't an idiot with my money in right, I just wish I made good decisions. But you do what you can with the tools and resources that you had at the time. And I'm so beyond impressed that you even thinking about retirement while you were working in your hospital job and at UNI, Like, absolutely not on my radar. So you're miles ahead of me in when it comes to mindset next question, because I do want to deep dive into that dotgy flatmate you had and how that impacted you financially. But I want to ask you, what grade would you give yourself if you were forced to give your money habits?
Speaker 3: A grade A B.
Speaker 5: Why Well, I think I'm fairly literate and good at managing my own finances.
Speaker 4: But I think it's about you know, you don't know what you don't know.
Speaker 5: But when I go to board meetings, I print out the financials and I read them three times and I put knots on the margins and I have to go through it carefully. And I'll get into these meetings and there'll be people who can just read financial reports and see the trends like it's spot stuff, like it's nothing, and it's like it's natural to them.
Speaker 4: It's not natural to me.
Speaker 5: So I know that there's a lot for me to learn, which is why I listen to your podcasts, and so I think there's always room to grow and learn.
Speaker 4: So I would say a BEE because there's a room for improvement.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I love that You're like, I don't understand why people are just natural at this. This is so rude, but you're there going, you know what, I'm going to pour over this and really get it.
Speaker 3: And that's just tenacity. That a lot of people lack.
Speaker 1: My friend, I have a lot of questions for you after we go to this quick break. Yeah, up, next on, she's on the board meeting. All right, let's get back to it. I want to understand a little bit more about the imposter syndrome that you seem to be suffering from, because you are fierce, you are so wildly passionate about what you do, You're on boards, you are so impressive, and you're sitting in a room of people who are arguably being paid exactly what you're being paid, or very similar because these things in your industry are quite quite set out. From my understanding, where's this imposter syndrome come from? And why are you still struggling with it when you are so wildly powerful?
Speaker 4: Hey, that's a very frank question.
Speaker 3: Thanks, I'm very frank.
Speaker 4: Sorry, No, no, it's a great question.
Speaker 5: So for all of us, whether where work can they're not for profit space or in the private sector or wherever. You know, every room of decision making has come from a kind of patriarchal, colonial background, right, so the composition of that room will probably not look like you, r I. They probably won't have refugee backgrounds. They may not have brown skin, they're probably not woman, and so that feeling of never seeing yourself and the spaces can make it a bit of an awkward space to enter and to stay in. And I think that we have to together support each other to either pull up a chair to those tables or to get somebody to give up their chair for the voices that aren't in the room, because if we don't change that composition, we will just continue to have people feel like outsiders into the future as well.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, if I'm.
Speaker 5: Showing you I have a bit of imposter syndrome, maybe it's because when I started in my firsty equivalent role, I was a thirty three year old woman, and a lot was made of my youth in particular, but probably my gender as well. And I certainly had a unique background, so there weren't others like me, and.
Speaker 4: I was aware that I wasn't fitting the mold.
Speaker 5: And I really hope that what I've done over the years in those spaces is to try to normalize having new voices and new ways of thinking, and new ideas and new ways.
Speaker 4: Of expressing your thoughts as well.
Speaker 5: Coming up in those decision making forums, I hope that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 2: Have you seen that shift over the time that you've worked in their space, because obviously as a society, we've definitely shifted to be more vocal about the need for diversity across all industries and the need for representation can see themselves in those rooms and can get a seat at the table. Have you seen any change happen in the time that you've worked in this space.
Speaker 4: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean in the Union movement where I was working, there were some very deliberate changes and constitutional changes being made within organizations to make sure that we could never have a lack of diversity again, which is kind of impressive to see. But there are still other kind of you know boards where it's still very dominated by men, older men, and men who are from European backgrounds. So it's a mixed bag. I'll say, there's some really good advances being made, and I have to say that even though I want to get into that governance space a lot more and I really do love it, and I say importance of good governance. I think everybody who goes onto that space needs to ask themselves, if I get that seat, who am I getting it in spite of what other voices, maybe even more marginalized, aren't going to be heard if I pick that set up. And unfortunately, I think there are certain people who aren't really born or have not accrued that mindset over their lifetime, who sort of feel more entitled to that space. And that's still the case in ol Tito, in New Zealand, it's probably as well as Australia, i'd expect.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: I sit on a board as well, and this is a conversation that we as a board have all the time. I sit on a board for a charity called TLC for Kids and I'm their treasurer. So I talk about the financials all the time. And just to let you know, it's not that easy. You're right, like you do have to pour over the financials to like pull out the story and see what's going on the people. Honestly, I don't know between you and I the people that just get it. I'm like, no, you researched this before you came into the room, Like there's no way, there's no way that you just saw that story and the financials, Like I had to spend two and a half hours looking at these to pull that out there's no way.
Speaker 4: They just it makes me feel so good to know that no.
Speaker 1: Nope, nope, I have to literally pour over the financials and you can obviously see just really clear things. Right, you can be like loss impressive, but when you're trying to drag out the story and go, okay, well what does this mean and how has this been flowing and how long has this been happening and what are the impacts? Like we've been doing a lot of impact research on what does this mean for our charity having gone through COVID and we've been supported a little bit through having job keeper and things like that, but what are the actual impacts and what can we see them becoming? Like that takes a lot more time than just having a quick look at the P and L. Anyway back to this, I feel like boards aren't often discussed in our community, and when they are, it's about gender diversity. But let's step back a little bit because this is a really important conversation, or I believe it's a really important conversation. Let's define money diarist, what's the purpose of a board, Like, let's share with us she's on the money community exactly what that means and then exactly why diversity is so important on a board?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, So the board is at a high level checking that the organization has everything in order for that organization to fulfill its purpose. So the purpose is normally set out and like a constitution if it's not for proper or in some kind of strategy somewhere, if it's for profit, and the board is tasked with making sure that the money, the decisions, that everything is geared to make that happen.
Speaker 1: And there's a lot of responsibility with a board. It's not just a room full of fluddy duddies who just talk about the business stuff filters down from the board. And I genuinely believe that the dynamic of a board, and I'm sure you're the same is what impacts the culture of an organization and the way that they step forward and actually lead change.
Speaker 3: So from my perspective, having.
Speaker 1: Diversity, having different voices, having different people in that board means that everything is going to be taken into consideration.
Speaker 3: And I think it's it's you know, like my opinion on the Minister for Disability.
Speaker 1: I genuinely believe that Minister should have a disability Like you need to understand that circumstance deeply to bring to the table things that can facilitate good and solid and sustainable change. And you know, as we see, you know in Australia and obviously in New Zealand.
Speaker 3: We are making changes.
Speaker 1: But what do you think that we can do as a community to demand that that is taken more seriously? Because board roles are often quite you know, don't want to use the word elitist, but they often are. How do we, you know, as the shees on the money community support that change positively because we know how much of an impact it can have.
Speaker 5: I think that's a really good point to raise up in these discussions that you're having and with your audience. I mean, first of all, on the point you made about culture, I think that's so important. And if the culture is if it's a monoculture, that's going to sense you know, reports throughout the organization as well and sort of reinforce that idea about what a decision maker looks like, if you know what I mean. So yeah, board positions are of course quite tightly held. I fell into a few by virtue of them, position that I held for my day job, you know, So it was because of that that I was asked to participate in different things. However, I then kind of expanded because I wanted to learn how different organizations worked. I think there are In New Zealand we have groups like the Institute of Directors where you can pick up training and you can learn some governance skills. I know that the ACTU in Australia does some really great governance training and resources for at least unions, but there must be other places that you can go to for training and even starting out. I want to say small, but it is really significant stuff. It's usually the unpaid board roles. Like in New Zealand we have boards associated with our schools, with boards associated with sports clubs and so on. There might be other parts of your community that people can just start practicing and learning and watching what it's like. And often they're desperate for volunteers as well, because these aren't roles that people necessarily want.
Speaker 4: Because maybe those first roles aren't paid roles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, but I do think they're still with and you'll learn from operating on boards with other more experienced governors as well or directors, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, soak it up.
Speaker 5: And the other point I wanted to make because I think I gave the you know, the white men I had time before is that some of my best mentors have been white men, and that's exactly what's happened. I've got to sit around tables with them and watch and learn and ask questions of them outside the room if I think they're too stupid to say across the table. And I've been really grateful for that kind of you know, confidence and mentorship that they've given me.
Speaker 1: And I think that that's important as well, because I'm exactly the same, Like I work in financial services, like it's all white men. I went to a conference the other day and I was sitting around a bad room table and I kind of just put my head in my hand and I was like, oh my gosh, like this is everything that I.
Speaker 3: Tell my community.
Speaker 1: I dislike I was the only woman in the room who was a financial advisor, and I was just so shocked that that was circumstance. But then I reframed my thinking and I was like, actually, all these people champion me, all these people have my back, all these people want to see me flourish. All these people want diversity and inclusion, and they understand the difference between equality and equity, and that's so important, and I think too many times we give you know, white men a really hard time when so many of them want to champion us and push us forward. So I think it's about embracing that change, not crucifying what exists, because what exists has always been for the greater good as well. We just can do better. We now know that diversity is incredibly important. It always has been, but it's never been embraced, and now it is. I think we have a job to make sure that that happens. And I think so many of these people on boards see that as well. I've had conversations with people being like, if someone came along and they were better suited for my position, I would give it up.
Speaker 3: In a heartbeat.
Speaker 1: And I think that that's so powerful because often you think of board members as people who are there because it's the power trip, and some people are there for that reason, and that's absolutely the wrong reason to be on a board. So I think that you're right embracing it's really important, and I think asking questions of businesses to make sure that you know their boards are inclusive and diverse in when they're not asking why that's the case, because it could be for exactly the same reason as the conference.
Speaker 3: I was at the other day.
Speaker 1: It's that that is what the industry is saturated with, and there are so few female voices that all of us are jumping up and down about it. But we need the other roles to be filled too, So I think it's important to not just crucify and go, oh my gosh, I cannot believe they don't have a fifty percent female board, Like, let's understand why that's the case first before crucifying it, and then if there's good reason understanding that, and how do we move forward?
Speaker 5: Can I too you that a few he listeners who are on board and that example you just gave, you know, where there aren't other men about and in a space opens up and we get another woman or or somebody who's voice hasn't been heard there to make sure that they feel supported and I'm mentored as well by you, because that's been something I found a little bit difficult over time, because there was always the young one in the room is realizing that in some spaces, I've got more knowledge than others and can act to better mentor and help other people feel comfortable, and that's how you kind of keep.
Speaker 4: The ladder down and keep pulling everyone up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so important.
Speaker 1: I could talk about mentoring for ages, and I will talk about mentoring on the podcast at some point because just like you, I went to use your name, Money Diarrest. Just like you, I'm a very firm believer that mentoring isn't about age or tenure. It's actually about skill sharing and if you've got a skill, then you can be a mentor. Like it's absolutely not about how old you are. In fact, I've learned so much, especially in my online business, from people who are significantly younger than me, and it humbles me every day exactly. But I think that this has been a really powerful chat. Definitely hasn't gone down the route that I thought it Money Diarist, but I'm really grateful for it because I feel like these are the conversations I want to be having with our community so that they understand that roles like yours exist and what that does and how that works, and how important it is for companies to have a board of governance to make sure that companies are doing the right thing, because ultimately it's for you, like it's for the community, like it's to keep you safe and secure and happy, and yeah, I'm just I'm really passionate about this area.
Speaker 3: So I'm glad we got to have this chat before we go.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to ask you mentioned that your last role was your dream role, and obviously you've stepped away from that.
Speaker 3: What's your plan going forward?
Speaker 2: Are you planning on taking a bit of a significant leave of absence. Are you setting yourself up to kind of do that hybrid six month in six month out? What are you looking to do now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, the six month and six month out was longer time plan for twenty years or so. I think I will have to get back into full time work. It's some sage all will want to. My son's three, and he's had health issues over his life so far, short life, so I'm really happy to take the rest of the year. So I planned from March till November without work and just to sort of take that time to figure out what to do next and just feel so just so happy that I'm in the position to be able to do that. You know, it's a bit of a dream just to say I'm going to take some time out and sit back and see what comes or what drives.
Speaker 4: Me after that. But every day is a bit different.
Speaker 5: At the moment, I know it's going to be something that relates to social justice, and that is for the good of the environment, for women, for people, and for economic justice. Probably, I know that that's what drives me. However, what shape or format takes, I don't know. I work up a few days ago and decided I wanted to go to.
Speaker 3: Med school, so oh my god.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, I dismissed that after I realized I'd be like fifty by the time I was in general practice.
Speaker 3: So that's that's all right, No such things too late.
Speaker 4: I'm just having some wild ideas about what I'm not doing next secually. To be honest, the.
Speaker 2: World is your oyster, though, and I think that that's something that's really good to see, is being like, there's not an age limit on deciding that you want to change your path. You could be seventy years old and go, oh, actually I want to learn a new skill or I want to try something different, and we get really set. I think in the idea that your career path is direct and linear, and I know for me personally that hasn't been the case at all, And I think it's really refreshing to be like, oh my god, I woke up one day and I wanted to do this thing and that's valid, Like that's not a whim. Maybe it just means that you've awoken a passion that you hadn't recognized before, and now that you know that it's there, why not pursue it?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 5: H thank you, thank you for not saying it's my mid life crisis.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: No, I think that it's interesting as well, because you were probably looking at that and going all right, well I wouldn't be in practice until I'm fifty, and you go, wow, like imagine how many years after that, Like you will probably still be in practice another twenty years after that, plus like if you've got your health now, Like why would that not be the case? Like that's twenty years of really impactful work that you would be doing.
Speaker 3: That it is absolutely worth it.
Speaker 1: But I'm very much embrace what you want to do, because there's no such thing as too late.
Speaker 5: Stop at you all encouragement to do it, do it, go to medical, go to medschool.
Speaker 1: But it's one of those things where if that's your passion, do it, follow it because it's not about what you earn, it's actually about how you feel. And there's a lot of research to say, you know, as much as we can, you know, loop back to what you said before, like you had a really high income, that's not the thing that sparks joy. There's research to say that that actually caps out after about eighty thousand dollars, your happiness doesn't increase. So what can we do to fulfill our lives in every other way? And obviously we didn't get time to talk about your son today, but like if you're saying he's not well, like, it's really important to be embracing the things in our life that really spark joy and that make us happy and make us feel like we're having an impact. And I just think that you're doing that. And I'm really proud to say that you're a part of our community. So thank you for sharing your story and hanging out with us today and ranting about boards with me.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. It's been such a pleasure.
Speaker 2: It's been incredible. And if you want to have more of those conversations, you can join our Facebook group. We have conversations like that every week. Search She's on the money and we're on Instagram and TikTok now as wow.
Speaker 3: Gosh, don't talk about a day. Dan still on TikTok the other day in that.
Speaker 4: Ce fantastic, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: So it was terrible. It took a lot of shots and then it wasn't even right.
Speaker 1: I was like, we're just calling it, We're just putting it out, we're calling it.
Speaker 2: So So she's on the money, aus. But don't forget, guys, that the advice shared on shees on the money is general in nature and just not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or a financial decision. And we promise Victoria divine and She's on the money. Are authorized representatives of Infocused Securities Australia Proprietary Limited ABN four seven oh nine seven seven nine seven oh four nine AFSL two three six five two three.
Speaker 1: See you on Wednesday, guys, Bye the Sea