Speaker 1: Chris John O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast. It's time for knock Off Friday. You jump on the lines on nine four one four one four three. Just tell us what time you're knocking off today, What time you finishing work, whether that's in your kitchen now, there's no long commute back home. You just walk from one room to the other, or just walk to the fridge and pop open that first drink of the weekend. Or you are at work and you are going to be doing something. Let me know what time you're knocking off and what then are you going to be doing? Jack, What are you up to today?
Speaker 2: Well, I have an audition today that I have to do from my home. You have voice a voice acting audition Bluey.
Speaker 1: You a new character in Bluey.
Speaker 2: I can't say what it is. It's not Bluey, but it is an animation. And I've never been a voice actor before, so I have no idea why they approached me, but they're asking me to submit an audition. I just have to do an American accent, is all?
Speaker 1: Wait, what that's a tough accent for an Australian to put off me. In US Brits, we're allowed voice artists all over the world. I mean there's Hugh Lorrie in House, Damian Lewis in Homeland. You know, you wouldn't know who's a brit And you know, think about Christian Beoo. You know in every movie he's got an amazing American accent, but you never see even Hammersworth doesn't bother you know, it's a slight American.
Speaker 2: Actually, I can't think of any Australians doing American accents that instantly come to mind.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's the name even a crocodile Dundee. You know, in his whole Hollywood career, Sean Connery didn't eve want to try to change that Scottish accent. Even when he was a Russian submarine commander in The Hunt for Red October. It was still just a great, big Scottish bedded guy running a Russian summary. Can you audition for me and Pats now?
Speaker 2: Oh I haven't practiced yet. They only they only emailed me last night. Come on, no, you need a dry run, Come on, give us a taste. Well, sorry, I'm just trying to I'm stretching into it. I'm stretching into that. I'm stretching.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Christian, yeah, good to speak to you. Good to speak to you, Patrini Charms. Are you trying to be He'll? Yeah, I'm not trying to be anyone. I mean, I'm not trying to be anyone. I'm just trying to be Forrest Gump. I'm just trying to be an animate. It's a Daisily Jack.
Speaker 1: He's meant to have that elector surgery for them to denly thing. Yeah, maybe they want a nasal character. Maybe this is not be nasal on Bluey.
Speaker 2: The only thing it said is don't be southern or don't be in New Yorker.
Speaker 1: Just you've just done a southern.
Speaker 2: Mid Atlantic. I don't know what that means. Mid Atlantic American accent and he's Christian. I'm coming here to do a mid Atlantic. No, that is southern.
Speaker 1: You're going into Mississippi?
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, can you guys do one and set me up and then I'll be able to do it back to you.
Speaker 1: I'm hopeless that those things about you. See it's a very very multicultural city, isn't it, Melbourne? Right? You get people thorn over the order. Is there an American listening right now? Who is mid Atlantic? Could you call in so Jack can at least have some idea. I love the way as well. Like for this show, the preparation is amazing. I haven't done anything yet. I've got a big audition in a couple of hours. You won't even learn Spanish of your mother and law. Someone says, do you'll earn some more money? Not really? Not really? Mops and chocolateads. Have I got the role? Who do I voice? The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast. Jack, I'm just trying to give you some tips here of how do you use your voice in different ways. You've got this voice.
Speaker 2: There, Christian. Thank you for doing that, and I agree with you on the different intonations you can put in your voice to make the same words give different meaning.
Speaker 1: Again, it's st all down sounds.
Speaker 2: It's not Southern anymore.
Speaker 1: So it is it's so southern. Jack's got a voice audition today for something and I can't obviously say what it's for, but he has to play and so it's an American voice they want you to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a voice acting role. So I'm actually doing the audition from my home. I just send him my American voice.
Speaker 1: I have on the other son of it. When they click open this and go what guys, guys get everyone in. We've got a real I mean, they got Forrest Gumps emailed in. He's obviously got a speech impediment in this one as well. Christian, you said that Australians struggle the actors to do American accent. What about Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Kate Blanchet, Jackie Weaver, Rita. That's a great point, but let me read those names out against if this feels right, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Jackie Weaver, Jack Post.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this will just be the start for me. I'll do the voice acting gig in the animation. Then I'll probably be in the next X men.
Speaker 1: All that's missing is a rocking chair and a banjo.
Speaker 2: Okay, in California, Jack in California, Kay Man in California.
Speaker 1: That's better, Actually, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Pats better? That's better? Okay, Well, no, let's get ONSTA again.
Speaker 1: He's gone over to India. On the night down. We have Marcus. Good morning, Marcus, give money, christ And how are you see? This is? This is how it needs to sound. So you're from originally from North Carolina.
Speaker 3: North Carolina, little town called lafayet, but being down under now for the best part of twenty years.
Speaker 2: Now, that sounds like does you sound like me? I thought I was getting myself back.
Speaker 1: For a second. Can you answering stout before you do the gig? Marcus has got a great accent, Marcus, and so what can you advise Jack?
Speaker 3: I think his main problem is he's trying to uh, he's trying to be in a stream speaking an American accent. So what he needs to do a little bit more effectively is punchy sentence. You know, North Carolina, South Carolina, to the same sort of extent. What we do is we finish our sence. Get it said. Let the other person speaking Jack sounds like he's always asked him questions like what are your asking to do?
Speaker 2: All right, I didn't notice we did that, So punch my sentences. So just stop abruptly.
Speaker 3: It's not not being abrupt that you're not asking question. You guys will do this thing at the end. Yeah, you do like you're asking a question. Really strange. I think you just should say what you be confident what you got to say?
Speaker 2: Okay, let me try again. My name is Jack. I'm sitting in an audition today for a voice part and.
Speaker 1: Voice broke. We pay a nine year old.
Speaker 2: My name is Jack. I'm going to be sorry, Marcus, just give me one more shock. My name is Jack. I'm going to be sitting in an audition for an animated character tonight, and I hope it goes well.
Speaker 3: Look, I think that's sound a lot better. Jack. I think you're starting to get there. Uh, same sort of thing. Be confident what you got to see. You've got to push through that sense at the moment you're sort of holding it back. You know you're gonna stuff up. They don't care. They want to know what you can do. Take directions. So take direction. I'm sure you're sentence of Jack, or get out the I love.
Speaker 1: This, Marcus. I'll get I'll get his agent's details. If I were you, I just get that you should get the gig.
Speaker 3: I'll leave out to Jack. That's your thing, Marcaus.
Speaker 2: I think I just struggle with my confidence in speaking anyway, regardless of if I'm doing an Australian accent.
Speaker 1: There there's no wallflour on this show from chap Post. You kidding? So yeah, give it again. So Marcus has helping try and sound like Marcus.
Speaker 2: Then, all right, what do you want me to talk about? Give me something to talk about.
Speaker 1: Tell us, tell us today what you had for breakfast, but in a mid Atlantic voice, or you know, South Carolina like Marcus.
Speaker 2: Well, I got up out of bed. First thing I did was made myself a smoothie. What I put in there was fruit and different things that go in a smoothie, and I drank it.
Speaker 3: Not bad, not bad. Now, just be careful, don't drop back into that southern thing, you know, the certain thing as you slow down and you drag your words out because they're so boring down there, got nothing to say, so punch your words. You'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Another way, he said, fine, say fine, He went fine.
Speaker 2: Marcus, I think with your coaching, I'm gonna just be super fun today.
Speaker 3: Ah, there you go, Now, there you go.
Speaker 1: It's in the bag, Jackie White, Marcus, you're a star. Let me send you a price. Have a good weekend, love your work, Bye guys. The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show Podcast