Speaker 1: Hello, they welcome to you ain't seeing nothing yet the Movie Podcast. We're our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests writer, comedian, documentary filmmaker. Returning guests Alexi Coleopolis.
Speaker 2: All below.
Speaker 3: I want to stay here with you.
Speaker 2: Gays to the jobber, I hate, snake sucked, I hail.
Speaker 4: They couldn't have any right.
Speaker 1: So the great thing about a returning guest is I don't have to pump up all their ties as much as I did the first time they came home, because that gets exhausting. I mean, how many times we have to bang on about the guests. But Alexi, let me let's say if you don't know, you may have seen him on Question Everything with Will Anderson. He's doing The Weekly with Charlie Pickering. He is a guy on the rise. Alexi is one of the biggest film lovers that I know.
Speaker 4: We covered The Rocky Here a Picture Show last time.
Speaker 1: His three favorite films I should point out were Looking for Ala, Brandy, Wayne's World, and Ride of Frankenstein. Okay, so he's going to nominate his next three favorite films very soon. But you might also know Alexi from his documentary web series Finding Desperado, Finding Drago, and the most recent is Smash It Fighting Uses. They are so much fun in podcast form, but Finding Yeases is video. You watch it as a web series with his great mate Cameron James, who's a previous guest, and you ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 4: We did Parenthood together. I love those guys.
Speaker 1: They're a great partnership and also great individually. But they're doing really exciting work and really fun work, so get onto.
Speaker 4: Finding Jesus is the most recent one.
Speaker 1: Alexi is joyous, is articulate, he is kind, is good natured. He's a presence where he just immediately puts a smile on your face. I really like those kinds of people. They're my kind of favorite people to hang out with. And I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with Alexi Toll today.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 5: My name is Alexi Tolo, and my next three favorite movies are how Do They Night? Fever, Tony, You Know Something, The King That Day, You're Great, They Danced, the documentary Catfish.
Speaker 1: There are those people who are catfish and life and they keep you on your.
Speaker 5: Toes and Tracy Moffatt's the devil.
Speaker 3: The children in the area have always told tales about him.
Speaker 5: And up until just this very week, I had never seen Peterweeze Dead poet Society excrement.
Speaker 3: That's what I think, mister j Evans Pritchard. We're not laying pipe. We're talking about poetry. How can you describe poetry like American bandstand? I like buyer and give a forty two, but I can't dance to it. I want you to rip out that page, rip out the entire page.
Speaker 2: Hear me, rip it out, rip it out.
Speaker 1: Yes, before Maverick blasted his way to a billy dollars at the box office, there was the original Maverick Maverick English teacher John Keating at the Welton Academy in Vermont, New England, nine point fifty nine. He was inspiring students with his unorthodox teaching methods as he preached the dangers of conformity, much to the chagrine of the school's administration. Of course, we know that Dead Polt Society represented a huge pivot in the Great Robin Williams career, and it happened under the direction of the Great Ozzie Peter Weir, Gallipoli, Pickney, Hagging Rock Witness, The Truman Show, and many more. It's hard to imagine this film having the profound impact it does have with anyone else in the lead role. Not only did this priven milestone for Williams, Dead Poelt Society also introduced the world to Ethan Hawke playing shy teenager Todd Anderson, who is arguably the heart of the film. Then we have Wanna Be actor Neil Perry, Robert Shawn Lennon rallying against his father's more academic demands, the rebellious Charlie Gail Hansen, the romantic Knox Josh Charle, studious Meeks Alelan Riggerio, and the straight laced and suckas Cameron Dylan Cusseman all are excellent. He nabbed first time writing Tom Shulman and Oscar for his scripts. Williams missed out on the Oscar to Daniel day Lewis for My Left Foot in a tough category which also saw Tom Cruise nominated for Born on the Fourth of July, Kenneth Branner Henry the Fifth, and Morgan Freeman driving Miss Daisy Or nominated. It's a movie that stays with you, and it's about the power the right teacher at the right time can have about making connections and finding your voice.
Speaker 4: Alex Tollyopolis, have you seized a day today?
Speaker 5: I absolutely carpy DMed my freaking ass off this morning. I woke up at six a m. I read a chapter of a book. I packed my suitcase. I can't think of anybody more prepped to discussing them with than me today.
Speaker 4: You have definitely sees a day.
Speaker 1: Carp adm to you and to everyone listening, thank you for seizing today by listening to this podcast very special edition.
Speaker 4: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: Oh it is my pleasure to once again return captain my captain.
Speaker 1: If you could refer to me as I get my captain, I will appreciate.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 4: Can come down from the desk, though we don't need you standing on the desk.
Speaker 5: Okay, let me shuffle back down. Of course, the conservative huddle bubbles at the top of the teep sending me back down. They're ruining my inspiration.
Speaker 1: Let me be Alexi, please, Why having you seen this film? There are some films where it's like I cannot believe you haven't seen Jaws. Silly Baccola or I can't believe you haven't seen Star Wars. Relieve that even when we did Rocky Horror Picture Show. I think we're both a little bit embarrassed we haven't seen this. This one probably exists in a slightly different sphere where you know.
Speaker 4: I love this film.
Speaker 1: I watched it in the cinema and it came out and it was one of the ones we had on DHS VHS. So I feel like I've seen this, you know, countless times. Why why having you seen it? And what did you know of it?
Speaker 5: I think I hadn't seen it because I think it's one of those movies that when did you see Would you have seen it quite young?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I would have been This comes out in eighty nine to ninety, so, yeah, about fourteen fifteen, so I was pretty well in the hitting zone for this one.
Speaker 5: That's what I think. I think this is a movie that really really strikes a chord with young people, especially young men. But I think I just missed it at the time. It wasn't like part of a curriculum or anything for me to watch. Weirdly, though, the movie Witness was part of the school curriculum when I was in high school and there was a couple of other Peter Weed joints around that I had. I'd seen basically all of his movies. This is the only one that I had never seen. I really really love Peter Wee, really really respect him a lot as a filmmaker. I think that I missed it as a kid, And now it's one of those films that exists in that space, not unlike the films you mentioned before, that is oft parodied and exists in in this kind of like realm where people know scenes from it so well, like I could probably quote this movie without ever having seen it. So it always almost felt like I didn't have the urge to see it because in a sense, I felt like I had seen it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But then recently I put up a thing on my Instagram which is like every now every year or so, I do like a film Q and a where people can ask me questions and I will give my answers about films on my Instagram and people ask me like, what, what's the biggest movie I haven't seen? And I just went through my list and I was like, Oh, this is a pretty famous movie. I guess I haven't seen it. And people lost their freaking minds that I'd never seen this movie. And when you asked me to do this podcast again in the email thread, when I just said this is probably the biggest mom when I've seen, everyone was roasting me, like everyone really yes, everyone that was connecting the two of us or making fun of me in the email Shane that I hadn't seen this movie is I was like, oh my god, I finally got to see this movie.
Speaker 1: I guess, well, yeah, it's I'm kind of glad because I like this movie. I really like and you know, we'll get to your thoughts on it soon, but I mean it's kind of known.
Speaker 4: I mean, sees the day in car adm you know, like.
Speaker 5: A captain my captain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can't. You can kind of pretend, you know a little bit of Latin.
Speaker 1: You know, you can't feel a bit smart because you know some Latin, of course.
Speaker 4: But it was.
Speaker 1: Really the pivot in these Robin Williams career that kind of that was almost a big thing. And I know that the writer Tom Shulman had like he had real kind of concerns about whether Robin Williams could do the job when he was he was cast and we might. We'll talk about that a bit more later on, so let's we'll come back. Obviously, lots of talk about dead poets, society. Let's away your next three favorite films. We had Saturday Night Fever, which I watched only for the first time and finally enough of this podcast is because I thought, I reckon, we'll do this eventually on this podcast, so you know, let's watch it early. And I think it has At the time, it had the record for the most swearing, I think, the most life bombs. I think it's a more if you've only if you haven't been paying attention. Saturday Night Fever is a much grittier film than you would think because you think Beg's exactly and all those you know and Givoltera, you know, you think, well, Dan is a Danny Zuko version of you know, it's actually pretty gritty.
Speaker 5: That's what I think really draws me to it. I think it is one of those great surprises because it has, like you said, like this cultural lineage of like what that movie exists as, which is like a fun disco movie. And the first time I saw it, I was quite young. I would have been about fifteen, and I was a young buzzing sin the file and I was like, oh, I've heard great things. It's in the one thousand and one Movies You Must See Before You Die, which is like my little bible at the time. And I remember buying this new special edition DVD and just being absolutely flawed by it because you go in thinking it's going to be like a fun camp movie. It is absolutely not like a really deep character study on this young man played by John Travolta in like to me, it's my favorite performance ever. I think he is just superb in it, and it's all about basically one young man's toxic relationship with his masculinity, is toxic relationship with women, and trying to find like what platonic friendship is with women. And I think it's a really interesting way that does it really gritty, really dark, but just like just captures something about like that inner city life of like this, you know, really hot headed masculine Italian dude. And I just think it's so beautiful. I think John Travolta is so beautiful in the movie as well. I just love this film so much.
Speaker 4: Is it's best do you think?
Speaker 5: I think so? I think he's absolutely his best performance. There's a couple of other movies that I put like up there, like I love a Blowout as well. Those are probably my top two Travolters.
Speaker 4: Blow Out before or after this.
Speaker 5: It's about maybe five years after, five years after this, but those are the two that I just really really love. And I think he is my favorite actor really, yeah, I really do. Every time I watch him, he just moves so beautifully and I'm like, no one is as physical as that, and I think he's just really he's so underrated in my.
Speaker 1: People, well particularly, I think he's underrated. I think he suffers from that, you know, for whatever reasons. I don't know why he disappeared a little while. Of course Tarantino brings him back. Yeah, and very few actors, in fact, no act there's no actor in the world that consistently hits it out of the park with as far as box office and how their movies are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's turkey.
Speaker 1: Everyone's got turkeys, whether it's George Clooney or John Devolda or Nick Cage. Nick ca change a lean into it a bit more than others. But it's great when you are reminded of someone like rolled in Nick cage almost put in similar camps, so they actually.
Speaker 5: Although there's same guy, have we known then they swapped those faces. You know, you can't help it.
Speaker 1: I set that up to you like a volleyball spike that way. That is, that's amazing. But when you see young John of Volda and I you know, hey, we all get we all get older, and we all age, but there's there's something that cinema captures that you kind of And I do love going back and often for this podcast and watching movies and seeing oh, young Robert Redford or you know, and you young Alpacino, young Marl Streep and you and when you see young John of Volder, you are going, that is a movie star.
Speaker 5: But that is, you know, undeniable. He's just got this undeniable, powerful charisma. And I always think I've read about him a lot. And when he did Grease the movie, he had already done the stage show Grease, but he didn't play Danny Sugo. He just played like one of his dipstick friends. I'm like, how can you not see that guy and not cast him as the lead. It just blows my mind because he's amazing in Grease as well. But it's just like that's a movie star and you're putting him like the third build, like like dipstick friend that hangs out with him. It's like, what world do you live in? You're not one of the great beauties singing in front of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it is amazing, And and he's some of them might be you know, yelling at there this podcast saying hang on, how could you're not? Grease is his finest performance and he's really good as Dan, and it's, you know, one of my favorite films Greece.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: I will tell you right now, I'll admit to this. I'm wearing pink socks right now because he wears them in the movie Grease, and I always go it's I love that he wore those pink socks of the matching pink shirt and when he does like the big dance at the city in the middle, and I'm like, that's my favorite outfit in the movie. And I'm wearing like an inspired by right now.
Speaker 4: Wow, that is true.
Speaker 5: And I really almost wish you would edit out of the podcast.
Speaker 1: Will be taking a photo of your pink socks, because that is that is amazing.
Speaker 4: I love this backstory involved.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to find out the story of You're Pink out of that such.
Speaker 4: That is inspired by fantastic choice.
Speaker 1: And if you get the chance to see the Beg's documentary.
Speaker 5: Oh, I love that documentary.
Speaker 1: That was extraordinary and talk about I think it's a really good thing to do if you're interested in popular culture, if you invest any time in it, and you have an interest of what has gone.
Speaker 4: Before because you like the movie.
Speaker 1: We think of the Beg's as you know, staying Alive and you know all that stuff, But they are their stories way more interesting and they're way more talented than I think.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I get credit.
Speaker 5: For man in that documentary. How incredible is that sequence where they they kind of juxtapose their biggest concert where they're singing tragedy or something like that with like the disco sucks movement where they're burning all their records. Yes, I was like, this is top tier documentary filmmaking. Just blew me away.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Check out the BG's documentary. What's it called again, It's probably called stand Alive or some shit. I think it's a question. I think it's like a question of a you may do a little.
Speaker 5: How deep is your love? Perhaps that's a question of one of their songs. That is a question.
Speaker 4: I'm going to find it. I'm going to find it.
Speaker 5: It's a what's his name? Directed it? The guy that produced Jurassic Park and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's called how Can Your Mend a Broken Heart? Of course, yes, yes, yes, grab it on Netflix and it's it's it's it's a ripper.
Speaker 4: Let's talk.
Speaker 1: A catfish a documentary, one of the more you know, modern documentaries if you like dealing with them, you know, I mean it's it was made probably in there fifteen years ago, but more of a modern phenomena than catfishing.
Speaker 4: I had no idea what catfishing was.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's the documentary that gave it that work.
Speaker 4: Was that it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that comes from that documentary. It's basically a documentary.
Speaker 7: Film two thousand and eleven, yeah, twy ten, twenty eleven, and it is very early in like social media days, and it is basically chronicling and investigating a relationship building between two people over the Internet that have never met in real life.
Speaker 5: And at a certain point, while the relationship is building, something happens where they realize things are not all what they seem, and it really blew my mind and captured my attention. I was in film school at the time, and I always loved documentary and I just kind of had never really thought about becoming a documentary person, but I when this documentary came out, I was like, Wow, I would love to make something like that, because like this investigative documentary into something that's like small and personal rather than like a big, large scale thing. And it's weird because like, now that's like my job. It's like making that stuff.
Speaker 4: Hello, finding us.
Speaker 5: And that's the That was the film that changed all for me. I was like, I one day, I want to find a story like that. And I was studying documentary at the time, and I really embraced it, and it was just like this is what I want to do. I want to make documentaries. And it's just always stuck with me, and every time I had to like go, what was my favorite film of the twenty tens, It's like Catfish easily came out right at the start, but I think it captures so much of like how people interacted for that whole decade, which is through social media, and it did it so early, so well, and it has this beautiful, like kind of mixed media approach where they've always got their little cameras on them and they're these tiny little digital cameras and they're ready to shoot stuff at any moment. And I thought they had just so much urgency in so much present tense, and that was something I had not seen captured in a documentary like that before, and I just it's probably the film has had the greatest influence on my own creativity.
Speaker 4: I'd say that is it's an excellent answer.
Speaker 1: I mean, I remember watching it and it really enjoying it and been kind of quite fascinated mine. It's certainly gripping they made Obviously the TV show then the spinoff?
Speaker 4: How did that?
Speaker 1: I quite understand because I like that they caught this one thing and then they will they how did that work?
Speaker 5: So the TV show it's so funny because the movie is like I think one of the greatest things ever great documentary is the TV show is like reality TV, right, And the difference is like I think they even say something like this at this top of the show where they're like, Catfish, the documentary is my story, Catfish, the TV show is yours, And so he it's the guy from the documentary and another filmmaker finding other people on the internet that have had there something that they suspect they're being catfished. And they did it for about ten years. So it's like hundreds of episodes that are basically identically structurally where they just like it's the same thing. They meet someone and go, yep, you're probably been catfished. Then they meet the person they are being catfished.
Speaker 1: I'm not judging the filmmaker because you know, you make something and it's popular and then why not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but has he done anything else?
Speaker 1: Like it just kind of to think that this is hamstrung him as far as going there's the Catfish guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, has he made other documentaries?
Speaker 5: So it's interesting because the guy that does the Catfish TV show, he's the subject of Catfish and he's the brother of the one of the directors of the film. So the two directors that made the film have gone on to make other films. They did Paranormal Activity three and four, which were like using the same kind of documentary techniques to make like a found footage movie, and I think I'm a big fan of those movies. And then they went on to do Zach Efron starring film called We Are Your Friends, which is like a DJ movie, so they've not gone back to documentary. But then Nive who is the subject of that film, he hosts the Catfish TV show, so he's not the filmmaker, but he's the filmmaker of the TV show, right, So it's a very complex low the Catfish universe.
Speaker 1: It's its own multiverse, the Catfish multiverse. Let's not get too hung up on.
Speaker 5: I recommend the movie the TV show. You don't need to watch the list though, you don't need to go in on it. I have watched all you have to.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about this one, Big Deviled. This is not Big Devil.
Speaker 1: Sorry, this is not one that I'm immediately familiar with.
Speaker 5: So this is an Australian film from nineteen ninety three, and I put this as my favorite because it's one of those movies that people don't know about and I share a lot because it is by Trassie Moffatt, who is an Indigenous filmmaker and photographer, and she has made this film that's like a four part anthology ghosts film, and it's very surrealistic. It's about like these either Indigenous and non Indigenous ghosts in Australia. And it's kind of funny, it's kind of spooky, it's very surrealistic. At some points it looks like a play. At some points it feels like a documentary. It's really really an interesting, beautiful, small film and it just looks stunning. It's got one of the most unique looks because she's one of those she's a really great photographer about like that kind of creates like so many interesting, like put together photos. And I think with this film, it was so hard to find for a long time, and it was one of those ones I was like on the hunt for for probably like four or five years trying to be able to watch this film. And then it has recently gone through a bit of resurgence. It plays at film festivals again, like on film on print, and now it's on SBS on demand currently, and so whenever it's on SPS on demand, I always go, well, I got to bring it up so people see it. And I always watched it, probably end up seeing like once a year now because whenever it pops up, I'm like, Okay, I gotta watch this movie. Otherwise I never know when I'll get a chance again.
Speaker 1: That is well, I's say, I'm embarrassed and I haven't even heard of this.
Speaker 4: This has happened.
Speaker 5: It was beyond air for a long time, like it was basically impossible to see it was awake in front even kind of not online, fright. Yeah, So it's three supernatural ghost stories that are like recounted in this anthology form. And I'll tell you who's in it as well, because it's got a few people. One of them is Jack Charles. Isn't it to greet Jack Charles?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And Lex Marinos. Oh, he's real fun in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a great presence on screen. Okay, I'm definitely chasing down but devil SBS I'm demand is that webs on.
Speaker 5: The man everyone, If you're listening to it, it's maybe your one shot in your life. You have to watch this movie.
Speaker 4: You got to take your shot. You got to take your shot.
Speaker 1: Listeners to the podcast of this new season may know that I'm involved with starting up an app called Sprook, which you can get in the app store where you share the shows you are watching on your streaming service and van free aware obviously, let's not forget free.
Speaker 4: To wear I've moved up in the proje, but haven't completely moved on.
Speaker 1: Wherever you're watching shows, you get to share the shows you're watching, and you can build your own watch list. It's a much sexier way of having you watch this instead of, you know, in your notes app. So when you sit down to watch some TV show, you got a couple of hours, you're not thinking, what was that show? Let's tell me to watch? So is there a show that you'll you'll be watching and what we'd be spooking at the moment.
Speaker 5: At the moment, I have been loving the What We Do in the Shadows TV show?
Speaker 4: Ah, Yes, I love that.
Speaker 5: Film by Taiker y T. I thought it was so funny. I'm a big like horror fan, so I love vampires and I've been kind of like had a vampire idea in my head recently, so been on the hunt watching all these vampire films and then I was like, you know what, I should watch this What We Do in the Shadows TV show And I think it's so funny. I've just been binging it going hard. I've got like maybe one season left to go, but I think is really fantastic and really inventive. Like with what they're doing with the law in a very funny way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's I was really excited when they saw that they were making them through a series, I must say, like, and this is why Spook is a very handy app It gets lost, Like, yeah, I've been I've always had intentions to watch it and then you kind of start, you know, a succession and is that much in Yellowstone and things get lost. I'm gonna I'll get you to sprink it back to me and I will put that on my watch list. What could I do in the Shadows? Fantastic stuff from our Kiwi mates. Okay, let's get into it.
Speaker 4: The film.
Speaker 1: We are here to talk about the great film from ninety ninety Robin Williams Peter were Dead Poets Society.
Speaker 8: Well, I'll read the traditional opening message by Society member Henry Deeven.
Speaker 5: I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately.
Speaker 4: I wanted to live.
Speaker 5: Deep and suck out all the marrow of life.
Speaker 3: A second that to put to route all that was not life, and not when I had come to die, discovered that I had not lived.
Speaker 4: We've been hanging out for the last hour before we started recording.
Speaker 1: We've avoided the conversation, but I cannot wait to know what did you What did you like it?
Speaker 5: I think I liked it. I think I didn't fall in love with this movie. I kind of wish I had seen it when I was younger, because I think I would have been able to identify with those characters more with like finding your inspiration for the first time, especially like that kind of when you're a young man, you've you know, especially you've got those the pressures on you to kind of find your path in this world. And I think people like you and I that have like pursued a creative ambition, we probably would have had like teachers, not unlike this, mister Keating, he says, mister Keating.
Speaker 4: Mister Keating, Thank goodness.
Speaker 5: I thought it just made it up, just made up a name, like yeah, mister Keating, if you will. But you know, we would have had I had the teachers like that that inspired me a lot to like pursue my creative passions and stuff that meant a lot to be that still have like friendships with And I think if I had seen that then I would have just been like, Wow, that's my freaking life.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 5: But you know, when I watch it now, I'm like, well, that's not really my life. I went to a really shitty public school. I did not like have like I don't even know how to do up a tie on my by myself. You know, I haven't worn one in a thousand times.
Speaker 1: So I think it's just it's not your life at the moment. Ever, reminder everyone that Alexi loves the vampire movies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is my real life.
Speaker 4: He may be a vampire.
Speaker 5: I am a creature of the Nights girl, not unlike John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever as well, another kind of creature of the Knights.
Speaker 1: Which because I would have seen I think The Breakfast Club a few years before this, and and it only really occurred to me this morning that this is probably a good kind of successor to the Breakfast Club. If you're of that age where it's it's like a bit of a I went there. It's a higher brow kind of you know, so when you are at the next step of watching, you know, more adult movies, not those kinds of movies.
Speaker 4: So please keep it in the fuse.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, I'm so quite rambunctious today.
Speaker 4: But it felt like a more grown up movie. So when I.
Speaker 1: Saw it, or like mature, like a mature yes, yeah, And there were concerns from certainly the studio. Well, they hated the name Dead Poets Society. And the writer says, there's three words you don't want to have in a movie, Dead Poets Society. And they try to turn it into that Disney try to turn it into a dance dancing movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe that's more at my alley, I guess, Yeah, you would have loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're going to rename. They wanted to rename the Sultan of Strut. It was like a suggestion, if.
Speaker 5: I see Solton Strut, I'm like, okay, that's I'm watching immediately, the Sultan of Strat.
Speaker 1: It's so funny though, because I I remember thinking, what a great name, Dead Poet Society.
Speaker 4: I'm fascinated by that. Peter Weir had the same thought.
Speaker 1: He kind of went, I read the script because of the name, and you can't imagine it now with that certainly can't imagine there's a Sultan of Strut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it just it's it's kind.
Speaker 5: Of Peter Weir and Peter Allen. That's my casting for the Sultan Atra, but.
Speaker 1: Ap piques the interest, and I think that sometimes what you want in a title. Sometimes you see a tole of a movie and it's blanned, and you're like, well, because, like when you're writing a script, each scene, you're trying to ask questions of the audience, and so why not start that process with the title of the movie. I think sometimes you can ask too many questions where it just gets confusing, both when you're writing a scene or the title of a movie. I'm sure there are some There are some titles of movies where you kind of go, I don't think half the audience can pronounce that name. So that's going to stop them going up to the ticket box office and say, can I have a ticket for?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Where were you in the one putting Schenecticky New York Together? You could have saved Charlie Cooff with a few bucks man.
Speaker 4: That's why that's the best thing about ordering online. It's online.
Speaker 1: I can get to those movies now. But it's yes, so I and when you said earlier, you said, I wish I saw it when I was younger.
Speaker 4: That was my first clue was going to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, you probably haven't had that there's no epiphany going on here out like moment.
Speaker 4: But so who was the teacher for you when you.
Speaker 5: Ah, yeah, I had miss Smith my drama teacher.
Speaker 4: Because I had mister Smith. Whoa it was my politics teacher.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, yeah, something in their lineage possibly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And why was miss Smith the one that got through to you?
Speaker 5: She she was really really special. She gave us a lot of agency as a class, as drama kids, and she really like pushed us to like find like meaning and stuff, not unlike like I would say, mister keating here. I think that she like really kind of helped us embrace like finding meaning and finding like the power of like artistic expression and stuff. And also like the idea of exploration, like actually instilling us like the value of exploring texts and exploring stuff and finding the joy in like learning about like different types of theater and all that stuff. It really really worked. And she was also she was a young teacher, so we were like her first cohort of students, and we're all still quite close, like this group of friends, Like one of my friends just got married and she came to the wedding and we hadn't seen her for a few years and she was just like like holding her hands, like, you guys meant so much to me. I was so young, like when I had when you were all my students, and you know, I still think of everyone and compare them to you guys. I go like, whoa, okay, like you know you always go like, I guess I probably wasn't that special to that teacher. But she was like, no, no, you guys are. I promise you guys are. So it's really I think it's nice watching this movie now because I've recently like kind of reconnected with that teacher and I kind of I guess I got some I'm gonna cry maybe now talking about this. Maybe I do love this movie.
Speaker 4: But yeah, this is what often happens.
Speaker 1: We discussed the movie, and because you've only I keep pointing it out this podcast is my guess is still often still processing a movie.
Speaker 4: So often I'm still grappling. It's happened a.
Speaker 1: Few times where someone's I had in mind, and then by the end of the conversation at least they like it a bit more. They like it quite a bit more. But yeah, I think I love that. It's a bit of a celebration of teachers, and there's one those teachers that can connect them and get through to you. My mister Smith was who was an act of mister Smith, and he was a polity played battle tenor in his head.
Speaker 4: No, he did not go to Washington either, not that missus Smith.
Speaker 1: But he he taught me politics in year eleven and twelve, and he had a rule which kind of I think set me up for my career. He said, at any point in the in the class, during the class, you can yell out a joke.
Speaker 4: This is to everyone.
Speaker 1: At any point I might be talking, you know whatever, it doesn't matter. You can yell out and make a joke. But it's got to be funny. It was funny, we will laugh. You stay in the class. If it's not, you're out.
Speaker 5: WHOA so high risk bombs happening in the class.
Speaker 1: And Jerry Seinfeld talks about this idea of the class cloans and those class comedians, and I think with that, I didn't think about it in those terms, but I did think I'm not necessarily a class clan, but I'm something. I'm kind of something in between. Yeah, And I think I was like a class comedian. I knew I knew when to go for and when not to it, and when the joke was worth yelling out when it wasn't quite worth yelling out. Yeah, so all the class class got kicked out. I was able to stay in the in the class high betting average.
Speaker 4: High betting average. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I had plenty of teachers that kind of you know, and I when we shot the last season of Had To Stay Married, we shot at my old school. It wasn't the actual campus as a new campus, so it was a different campus. But but some of the teachers were there, yeah, you know who were great to me. And you know, Johnny Nichols, if you're listening to the mate and he you know, I say, mister Nichols.
Speaker 4: The foot is a mad He's a mad Collingwood supporter. So we go really well. So so yeah, it's it's It probably.
Speaker 1: Would have been boring if the reason that these students got along with mister Keating was the day back for the same football team, But that.
Speaker 5: Would be interesting. And I think you should work on a remake where it's like, if you want to tell a joke, you can do it. It's all about like inspiring kids with like the great comedians and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I just like the idea of instead of quoting well, women would be like a.
Speaker 1: Good old Collingwood forever. They know how to play the game. That's how he gets through.
Speaker 4: But it's a.
Speaker 1: Powerful it's a very powerful thing. And maybe, well there's probably two reasons why maybe I still One is obviously I watched it at an age where it like it got through to me. I watched it a lot because we already had we didn't have the access to every movie ever made ever, we had our VHS videotape, so this was on high rotation.
Speaker 5: You get taken back to your youth when you watch this one.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean most movies that the movies that mean a lot to me. There's nostalgia is such a powerful emotion and state, I think, and I I think I'm not sure if it's a post pandemic thing, but I feel like there is an people are recognizing that. And I think it's ever been reflected in some you know, some some TV you know, and and and and film. I think there's some more feel good kind of stuff going on. I was talking about this the other day with somebody. There's a feel good it's kind of it's not Ted lassoed, Lao has been Ted Lasto Ship's Creek. There's certainly that that's those shows are lent in to feel good.
Speaker 5: I think there's a lot of shows and stuff where people connect to the kindness of the shows. Now, yes, and you know that's not every show as has that. Not every show should have that exactly right, But I think there's like there's people where they want that from their comfort watches, which is like some quite warm and kind.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but it it gives you a feeling of being in a safe in a safe place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it kind of really does.
Speaker 1: It's got a warm, lovely feeling and this does give me that. But also watching it now and I last time watched it was I watched it when I had Covida for the second time.
Speaker 5: Wow, And I hope it wasn't number three this time watching it again, I hope I didn't get you.
Speaker 1: I should have mentioned that before we started the podcast. I apologies a LEXI get tested after we finished recording. But no, but I watched it so a year or so ago, eight months ago, and I hadn't seen it for a long time.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I watched this and good morning Vietnam, which is another brilliant performance.
Speaker 4: And it really was.
Speaker 1: And I actually had literally because I had had COVI was like the first source, you know, the night that kind of the COVID kind of kicked it.
Speaker 4: I didn't get it too badly, but what I had was.
Speaker 1: Like the sweats at night and I had like this Robin Williams fever a dream and it was like it was like I was chatting to Robin Williams and having these conversations with Robin Williams.
Speaker 4: It was it was actually quite beautiful.
Speaker 1: Wow, I don't really remember much remember the feeling of having those conversations.
Speaker 4: You're too fast from.
Speaker 5: He's doing it.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, Peter, And every second joke was about Viagara and a little bill.
Speaker 4: But he yeah. So it's hugely nostalgic for me.
Speaker 1: But watching it again, I view it through the eyes of a father and seeing it's a very powerful thing for me to see. I think, when I see somebody getting through and making kids fall in love with the arts, really a look bit education is really powerful. And those moments where he is making those points, there's a speech that he gives about why we love poetry, and you see the reactions of the kids, and it's truly pawerfing. Let's have a listen to that same where they get into a bit of a huddle and they discuss why we actually do love poetry.
Speaker 6: We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion, medicine, law, business, engineering. These are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from whitmen, oh me, Oh Life. Of the questions of these recurring of the endless trains, of the faithless, of cities filled with the foolish, What good amid these?
Speaker 4: Oh me, oh life?
Speaker 6: Answer that you are here, that life exists, and identity, that the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse, that the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse. M what will your verse be?
Speaker 4: Okay, like the answer the question, wow, what will your verse be?
Speaker 5: My verse would be probably smoke weed every day man, one of my favorite poets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you the I'm not sure if he's name, but the Kidder gets up and reads me disinterested kid says, the cat sat on the match.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my favorite poets are Snoop Dog again, mister Dre or actually doctor I.
Speaker 4: Should say, yeah, please use the great term.
Speaker 5: So sorry, I don't want to make his degrees redne didn't. I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the reacting to that, it's like, and that's why when he's funny, when you when we listen to these grabs, you know, and obviously watching a movie has far better than watching, you know. And then the reason is because it's it's not just the lines that have been spoken, it's the reacting, you know. And I've been thinking a lot recently about that. Movies and you know, TV shows are not about necessarily about plot. It's about characters reacting the plot, which is amazing. Yeah, so it's in that scene you see you see.
Speaker 4: I think Neil in particular.
Speaker 1: Kind of really take that in and something is shifting in him.
Speaker 4: I think it's really powerful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think what you said just there's really poignant for me, which is it's not just about plots. And I think that's how I approach film as well, is like plot is almost like secondary to me. It's all about like the artistry coming to get there in like the collaboration between people and for me, what I really loved most about this movie, I think John Seal, the cinematographer, one of the great Australian cinematographers. The way that he paints this film I think is just beautiful, Like it's so handsome, so warmly lit and so like these beautiful, nice brown woods and these kind of like chilly winters, but there's all this kind of glowing warmth about it as well that I just thought was really really stunning. And Peter, we collaborate with some really great cinematographers, but I think John Seal he's one of my favorites. Like he did Gli John Seal, I think he did do Gallipoli, let me double check, but I know that he's like the go to collaborator with George Miller, so he just did I think it actually his it might be his retirement piece was he did three Thousand Years of Longing with the great George Miller as well, and he did the talented Mister Ripley, mad Max Free Road rain Man and Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone, the English Patient Witness as well, and the Hitcher. The Hitcher, I think is a really good, weird little horror movie. But I think that he's just like one of the great Australian filmmakers, John Seal, I think he's just he just really captures magic, and especially in films you know, I'm talking about some big ones like Mad Max, Free Road and Harry Potter where he's like there's literal magic. But I think in this one he still kind of captures those same kind of like that that warm quality that connects people in movies like this as well.
Speaker 1: When I think of Dead Pow Society if only laugh, I do think those colors, you know, and it might be with the poster, but I think more so it is to do with, you know, actually watching the film and those those altumn leaves and you know, there's the snow when you know that the tragedy happens, and which which which was that was supposed to be shot indoors and it was snowing, so Peter Weir said, let's let's try this outside, but they're losing snow, so they had one They had one take that This is where Ethan Hawk's character Todd, you know, he breaks down, he's hit hard, he seems to be hit the hardest because he was a roommate. You gotta argue that the other's new him for longer, but it doesn't matter, and then I.
Speaker 5: Will argue it, actually, yeah, the other boys deserve to be crying as much as.
Speaker 4: I mean I did.
Speaker 1: I think Charlie or Knox responds by shoving a snowball into his mouth, an interesting touch of it. He just vomited, so but I yeah, And so he had one take to get and knocked it out of the park.
Speaker 5: Ethan Hawk spectacular, spectacular actor.
Speaker 1: I think, so this is his like he did that film with River Phoenix, It didn't get much traction before this, and he had made a short film, so this is his second feature film, but the first one that had success in that and he so nobody basically knew him, and he knocks it out of the park. I remember think for a long time though, because this came out they around the same time as Scent of a Woman, and Chris O'Donnell played a kind of a similar kind of character, and I remember thinking I kind of connect both those actors for a long time, and I remember thinking for a long time, are they good actors that both those performances are great, but are they just playing versions of themselves? Like they're quite kind of shy? Are they like that he's ating easy? There's what performs to give.
Speaker 5: With something hidden underneath it as well, Like I think there's like a lot of brooding hidden underneath those characters, and I think Ethan Hawk really captures that.
Speaker 4: And he barely speaks for like the first forty minutes or so.
Speaker 5: There's just like a real depth of emotion that he's able to capture, like this real sensitivity. And I think he has become one of my very favorite actors. And I think he also I really really respect him as a creative, like he's made it. He's directed a few movies as well now, and I think each time of I see one of the movies he's directed, I have more appreciation for him as a man and as an actor as well.
Speaker 4: I completely agree.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just think he is a really it's almost like he's almost underrated talent. I think, you know what I mean in a odd way.
Speaker 1: And it's strange because you've got dead poets, but then you got like before Sunrise, you know, with three masterpieces later and Julie Delpy and then like Gadika is like finally finding I think in the last you know, ten or so years Finance audience, it wasn't a big commercial hit, but I think people are discovering Gadikha. Yeah, it's great training day with Denzel Washington.
Speaker 5: It's amazing training day.
Speaker 4: Boyhood hoood.
Speaker 1: So he does find these projects and he kind of, you know, I think I think it disappears, you know, he disappears into the role.
Speaker 4: And I've heerdly spent quite a few times. I've always been really.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he comes off grade in interviews because he kind of really proves that he gives like such, he cares so much, and I think that is something so commendable, like to just be like, yeah, this guy cares so much about his craft and like what he does, his output as well, the movies that he makes, the projects that he does, Like he's quite selective.
Speaker 1: I feel, yeah, yeah, it's right to be still passionate after all these years. Is really commendable. And his daughters doing great work in Stranger Things, and yeah, he's he's I think all the all the all the students. Neil Perry, the character played by Robert Shawan Leonard is I think really just as incredible. And I think they're the two kind of the main the students that we're spending time with.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's Robert Sean Leonard. It is quite brilliant.
Speaker 1: I think in this like you feel it's almost like a coming out story, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Like I think if it was a if this movie were made today, it probably would be.
Speaker 4: I thought the same thing.
Speaker 1: And I wonder, like, even though it's you know, in ninety ninety, you know, these kind of coming out stories we were being told, But I wonder if it was a choice that they made to to not you.
Speaker 5: Know, leave a more subtextual like well.
Speaker 1: Maybe but maybe even like whether it's supposed to be part of the you know, the subtext or is it was it a decision thinking this could scare Disney Way or this could scare you know, so let's just have it.
Speaker 4: But it reads as a coming out story.
Speaker 5: Absolutely because it's all about like the sensitivity because his dad, kurtwood Smith is he plays like such a hard man, and I think that's the kind of like the main key thematic thing in this film is like these are the kind of cultural clash between generations of like the men that have lost the inspiration in their life as they get older, and then the young men that are about to find it, and it's about the struggle of like to follow that or to lose that, to like snuff it out. And I think that the actual scene with him and kurtwood Smith, that like that's actual the sequence, not just a scene like that like building up of scenes that leads to him taking his own life. I thought was like magnificent filmmaking, magnificent acting, and there's actually was a bit like I've got goosebumps, like and my breath was taken a little bit away just with Peter Weeeze like sequencing of that I thought was kind of unparalleled, where he has this the like you see it all building up. You see him like obviously he's looking out a window and like he's finding this gun and like all this stuff where you're like, oh my gosh, like this it feels inevitable. But then the the way that the moment actually plays out is it cuts back to kurtwood Smith in bed and he just wakes up. You haven't heard a sound, he says, I just heard this sound. And I thought that was like it's so inspired, like I just don't even know how you can even have that thought of being like, well, you don't hear a sound, but you see a guy waking up because he's heard a sound, bes in like that state between like wake and sleep where you don't know if the sound exists or what it was. And I thought that, like, you know, the slow reveal of what has actually happened was just it really took me back because I couldn't it's so far removed from what the obvious choice is to sequence that those moments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I thought it was masterful. That shot of him walking down the.
Speaker 1: Stairs is amazing, and the tragedy of the father finding him, the smoke from a gun, this trickling up from the behind the desk, and I think it's such a great thing that we don't even see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're behind the desks, cradling beyond it that and he's young.
Speaker 4: He's wailing and my son, my son, and.
Speaker 5: The mum's saying stuff like he's going to be okay, and it's like he's shot himself in the head. Like it's just it's so grim, like it's really really powerfully done, very evocative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you kind of think if you're only you know, Yeah, you've lost your son. All I wanted to do was act, you know, And that's the I mean, that is the tragedy of you know, suicide, of the choices that have been made that precede it. So yeah, it's it's it's extremely powerful, and it's it's so well played by everyone involved. I remember, like as that really kind of hit me as a and I wasn't in that situation. My parents knew I wasn't going to medical school. They were trying to make sure I didn't go to medical school.
Speaker 4: It's not for you. Yeah, stick to the art.
Speaker 5: You're cracking some great jokes in missus Smith's class. Why don't you pursue that?
Speaker 1: And then we have we have we Have Knocks Over Street, And I think that the movies aged quite well.
Speaker 4: Maybe this is a storyline that is a little trickier with that getting.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's it's it's it's interesting now because so he falls in love with Chris. I imagine it's Christine or Christina based on not much really, based on the fact that she's a very attractive blond girl with a nice smile, and she seems to have a nice demeanor, and it gets to the point where he's invited to a party and she's asleep on the couch and he gives.
Speaker 4: Her a kiss. Is it on the forehead? I think it is just on the forehead.
Speaker 5: I think so.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: I remember when I watched him as a fifteen year old. Then occur to me that you know, but now you're going to go, yeah, maybe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're freak, brother. It is weird. There's so many films and they sat in and Fever is one like that as well. But I think it's also like sometimes you go back and you play modern context to films and it's like maybe they're trying to say something different, but maybe they are saying the thing that you're thinking, which is like like, yeah, maybe these boys they have no female influence in their life. They're away from their mothers, they only interact with men. The only mentors are men that repress like their sexuality and everything. And I think it's like maybe the movie is going like, yeah, look, how fucked up this guy is as well. He can't even talk to a woman, and he doesn't even see her as a person. He sees her as an object of his affection and stuff, and so I think it's like sometimes you go, well, oh my gosh, this movie is wrong, but it's like, well, you don't know, maybe the time it wasn't wrong, Like maybe at the time was still saying what you're feeling, but you just see it as negative and you don't see it as oh, this is actually doing what I'm feeling. Like it speaking to that.
Speaker 1: I think movies should be allowed to reflect the reality.
Speaker 4: Sometimes of what happens.
Speaker 1: I guess the only thing would be and I don't necessarily sign up to the belief that movies are only here to teach us. Yes, you know, like we need to see bad behavior on screen, we need to see people behaving badly and getting it wrong.
Speaker 4: I do like that. I'm pretty sure, and you know, I.
Speaker 1: Feel free to you know, and feel free to write anytime he has any he has any podcasts at gmail dot com or get on our speak pipe and let us know what you thought of that scene. Only of the scenes, but I'm pretty sure it's a kiss on the on the forehead.
Speaker 4: I'm glad it wasn't. You know.
Speaker 1: There's versions of this where it's it's it's, it's it's it's a lot more.
Speaker 5: But when I'm watching, I'm like, yeah, this guy's a creep Like, this guy is a creepy and.
Speaker 1: Then and then it kind of goes where he's rocking up and kind of enforcing himself in her space, yea, with the school and the flowers, and it's like, well, you know, it's a bit, it's it's and but at the time I thought, I certainly thought nothing. I thought he's being romantic. And where do you draw the line in real life to being pursuing you know, somebody you love? And when does it become you know? And I think that line is probably we've learned to redefine that line. I know with with my wife, we've been married twenty years. This year we had a thank you very much, you're coming through me. Of course it's just three of us. I will officiate the occasion, but we like, we had some time off after about a year, my wife and traveling, and then we kind of had the we went she wasn't going to travel again, so I was kind of were in a bit of a holding pattern.
Speaker 4: We didn't know, and I.
Speaker 1: Was in a situation where I thought, do I move on with somebody else, or do I you know, or do I hang in there, and like I mean, my dad saying now you have you know, like don't give up, you know, and not in a he wasn't giving me ideas of what to do, but like he was almost saying be romantic. But you know, which is kind of my dad's you know, you know, it's pretty straight up and down. So I've never seen him do a lot of romantic things with my mum. But you know, I did, do you know, I wrote, I wrote a song, you know, and got my mat to record it and and played it to it and it kind of worked, it kind of, And that's not it wasn't the song, just the fact that I wrote a song, like there were obviously, you know, feelings, and that kind of just was the moment and it works.
Speaker 4: So I'm kind of I'm fascinated with that line.
Speaker 5: I think it's really interesting because films are, to me, they don't exist in a vacuum. They are like artifacts of the context that they're made in, and I think that that is for me, like what makes them interesting because it also is you see like societal change and you see the changing of attitudes throughout time by like the these pieces of art that like speak to those moments and stuff. And I think it is interesting when you go back and see this because it is like probably you know, the intension behind it is quite gentle. But then when you see it now with like the way that like, you know, even in our lifetimes, the way that we talk about like sexuality and the way that we talk about consent has changed drastically, even since I've become a young like I've come of age, Like the conversations that right we have around have changed completely, and the way that education works around has changes completely. And so it's I think it's really interesting to see like those films that their context changes like that, because it probably is intended to be like some kind of gentle moment and then you watch it and now and you're just like, okay, a little bit weird. But I think it's like it does speak to those attitudes like we're saying of like these these are like concert boys that are like crippled by the concern of nature of their parents. They don't even know how to fucking interact with each other. They don't even know how to express themselves, and it comes out in like freaking weird ways.
Speaker 4: In nineteen fifty nine, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Nineteen fifty eight. So it's like, you know, speaking to two pieces of like two pieces of history this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And for me, the only thing and this is not about canceling Pole Society.
Speaker 5: Or you've got to cancel Bitter we and Robin Williams and the guys in the scene.
Speaker 1: So it's more I think if you if you just kind of you know, acknowledge that if things are, you know, how things have changed, I think it makes it a more enjoyable experience because you're going to go, yeah, that's not we.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't do that now, yeah, you know, and that's and.
Speaker 1: You can see the progression and the evolution of mankind in a way you're going to go, Okay, yeah, that doesn't happen, you know, because the only thing I thought that was a bit weak about that story was just it really did seem that the connection he had was the fact that she was energrated, like she didn't outside of being an attractive, you know, desirable blonde woman. Yeah, what was she really offering him.
Speaker 5: It's also the least interesting storyline in the film because I think you're seeing like the way that poetry informs these young men into finding their sensitivity and finding their inspiration. I think it works more interesting in like that direct sense with the the Neil Perry character played by Robert Sean Leonard, where it's like him finding his artistic voice and wanting to pursue Shakespeare and like wanting to pursue acting, and I find that and then also Ethan Hawke just like dealing with like this more a morphous thing of just like emotion and not really even finding like he's his storylineing is so interesting to me because it's so amorphous, like it's just like it's just it feels almost so internal. And then the other storyline just like where it's to me it makes sense on paper where it's like you're finding the sensitivity and it's expressed through how you find love. But I think it's just the least interesting of those because there's something about like it being literal in like it being your artistic sense being found. I find quite powerful. When it's that mentorship from Robin Williams's character in the film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a very good point.
Speaker 1: And yeah it's I say it's five if you take Cameron out, who's you know, Yeah, the other guys are.
Speaker 5: Kind of billy there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's also there's also Pitts kind of that he's a strange So yeah, the five of them, if the five of Todd, Neil knocks Charlie and meets they're pretty well defined.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Todd is the shy, you know, struggling with his own kind of self worth and insecurities.
Speaker 4: Neil has the thing with his father. He wants, he wants.
Speaker 1: To break out and not go down the that the part of his father is demanding. Knox is the you know, is the nonconformist, a bit of the rebel. Sorry that the romance that's Charlie, not just the romantic. And you do, I think you do if you're going to make a movie about poetry and seizing the day. And obviously these guys are being inspired to seize the day.
Speaker 4: And that's why he goes.
Speaker 1: With the flours at the school and the way there is Neil, you know, signs up for Midsummer's Night Dream. You do you do get a romantic in there, like you don't need a romance. So this doesn't feel hatched on at all, like sometimes romantic stories are you know, to please a certain section of the audience.
Speaker 4: I feel like it is needed. I just think, I just think if there.
Speaker 1: Was a scene involving Knox and Christine earlier that where we saw the connection and the impact she made on him, that would go a long way.
Speaker 5: To next to his inspiration something like that.
Speaker 4: Yes, it kind of felt like he falls in love the bond girl. Yeah, you know exactly.
Speaker 5: And in nine fifties many fellows were guilty of that. Marilyn Monroe the greatest sex symbol of the era.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, So let's have it. Listen to this.
Speaker 1: We'll go back to Ethan Hawk because there is this wonderful scene where he finally finds his voice.
Speaker 3: Close him, now, describe what you see.
Speaker 10: I close my eyes, yes, and this image floats beside me, sweaty tooth mad man, the sweaty tooth mad man, or a stair that pounds my brain.
Speaker 4: That's excellent. Now give him, actually, make him do something.
Speaker 2: His hands me shout and choke me.
Speaker 5: And all the time he's mumbling, what's your mumma?
Speaker 8: Mumbling truth, truth, Like like a blanket that always leaves your feet called.
Speaker 4: Forget to forget them, stay with the blanket.
Speaker 8: Tell me about that blanket. You push it, stretch, It'll never be enough.
Speaker 2: To kick out and bit it.
Speaker 8: It'll never cover any of us from the moment we enter crying to the moment we leave dying. It'll just cover your face as you well and cry and scream.
Speaker 4: You forget because I love that last little bit by Rob Williams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't you ever forget this, because you know, education, you educated for you know, twenty years, eighteen years, whatever it might be, if if you've got a UNI or you know, but sometimes it just comes down to those few moments that we remember. Yeah, and we know that Todd Anderson remembers that for the rest of his life.
Speaker 5: That's so beautifully port And I think Robin Williams really captures something so delicate in this movie. And I think it is because he's able to blend the sensitivity with humor so well. And was looking at like who the other people were. They were like higher up on the list for the studio or high up on the list for like previous directors or whatever they were attached to this film, and it's all people like Mel Gibson or Liam Neeson and stuff. And I could kind of see something in like maybe there's a softness to their sternness those people and there's like a hidden softness to them. But I think with Robin Williams, where he like freaking oozes that softness and oozes that sensitivity, I think it works really nicely having and I can't even I don't think this movie becomes special if it's not for him.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 5: I agree, like it might still be a great movie with those other actors in it. They will probably be fantastic in them, but he is. He's a unique ingredient.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: He arrives on set on the first day of shooting and they're shooting a day for one day, then he is away for two weeks, and then he's coming back to set that finished the rest of the movie, and he's quite wooden. And I mentioned earlier that the writer was quite concerned because you know, this is Robin Williams is a comedic powerhouse, and.
Speaker 5: I think the closest dramatic performance is like probably well according to Garp before this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 1: So he was concerned, and his concerns were not hosed down by the fact that the first day he was he was quite wooden. And and Peter Weir eventually said, Okay, let's let's let's let's just finish up for the day. And the writer Tom Schumann went up to him and said to Peter will this is you're seeing what I'm saying. This is not great, and he's not I saw it. I saw it. And he says, what are we going to do? You guess we've got two weeks to work about. So he comes back and he's still a bit wooden. So Peter Weir comes in and says to him that, Robin Williams, how about they're in the CLIs, what would you teach him? You know, what would you what would you say to these kids? You know, what would you teach them about? And he said, well, maybe Shakespeare. He goes, what this, just do a spiel about Shakespeare. So that leads to the scene about John Wayne doing Macbeth.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he does his act, a little bit voice.
Speaker 4: He does his act and that that was it.
Speaker 1: That kind of from that moment on, Robin Williams got what he had to do. And I think Peter we started calling him referring to John Keating as Robin Keating because he wanted fifteen percent of Robin Williams in that character. And it's so it's so worth it, And like you said, I think Tom Hanks may have been in discussion. Maybe Tom is one person you can imagine giving a similar kind of performance, but not not quite the same performance. He's unique, and of course this this becomes almost stuff of legend that he becomes, you know, he does. He probably doesn't get good Will Huntings and you know other films like that Awakenings without this film. And then Jim Carey basically spends a lot of time basically.
Speaker 4: He gets Peter Weir.
Speaker 1: He's looking for this project where Peter Wee can turn him from the ace ventur and the mask into something like Robin Williams, you know, second half of his career and the Truman Show.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't think I've ever thought about that comparison before between this and Truman Show. That that's like the comedians seeking to find like the greater depth in them. I'd never thought of that before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it became a big thing for comic actors to kind of go, Okay, what's my I need to get a serious role going here, you know. So it's it's incredible. Let's have listen to the scene. Of course, the entry of Rob Williams is really I love it. In the script, it's actually Robin Williams standing by a lake as all the students rock up for the first day of semester all the year, and he's just soft wearing like a black cloak, and he's a bit mysterious and he kind of just turns around and from a distance though, that's that's fine, that sounds fine. But this entrance is much better, where the students fall into the class he he comes out from backstage, have a backstage area for the teacher's there, and he's he's this whistling and he just arms beyond his back and he just walks out of the classroom and he takes him out to the honor the honor room, I guess with all the photos and he delivers the whole I won't play the whole scene, but there's this is I guess the Cafe DM bit.
Speaker 4: They're not that different from you.
Speaker 5: Are the.
Speaker 3: Same haircuts, full of hormones, just like you, Invincible, just like you.
Speaker 11: Feel the world is their oyster.
Speaker 3: They believe they're destined for great things, just like many of you. Their eyes are full of hope, just like you did.
Speaker 6: They wait until it was too late, to make from their lives even one ioda of what they were capable, because you see, gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils. If you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you.
Speaker 3: Go and lean in, listen hear it.
Speaker 8: Ah m hm, oh.
Speaker 5: Garbage, seize the.
Speaker 10: Daymos, make your lives extraordinary.
Speaker 1: I do love this thing because when you're watching it, obviously your class up on these, you know, all the photographs of your school photos, and the voice of Rob Williams does that. The whispering is perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Listening to it, then I was like, wow, that's actually a really funny choice, like to just go like, yeah, these are old, dead guys, Like, it's very funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I imagine he knew exactly know Peter Wee has instructed me exactly what that shot would be. But it's yeah, the first day and the connections made, and they do a good job of setting up the other teachers of being stuffy and old, and you know that this is a breath of fresh air, and he kind of instantly connects to not all of the all of the class. And we'll get to the ends very soon, but our main characters he gets to there is some foreshadowing of the fact the Cameron's not quite on board. When you got Neil and Knox and Charlie kind of like nodding at each other and kind of going, this is a bit different. And then you have you got the Cameron who doesn't quite get it. He's not quite on board, which I thought was interesting. Let's just talk about Charlie for a second. He is the I guess, the rebel, the nonconformists.
Speaker 4: He's the one who prints the.
Speaker 1: Article in the paper saying that they're demanding girls at the school. He brings girls into the Dead Poets Society. One of the girls is the debut, the screen debut of Melaura Waters Lawya Waters is if you haven't seen Magnolia, see it, and she gives one of the all time great extraordinary performances in a movie that's swimming with extraordinary performances.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Julian Moore is starting at ten inventing numbers at a certain point in that movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's one of the girls who comes in. But Charlie then plays his prank where he gets they want to know who printed the article. Everyone's worried they're going to find out about the dead Put Society, and he has this goes to a bit of effort because gets a landline, and I also have the landline's recalling who's calling it. But he takes a phone call from God and then gets basically belted. And I'm not sure why he gets He gets out to a student position, and I'm not sure because he's he's almost doesn't mind if.
Speaker 4: He gets kicked out. He doesn't really want to be there.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure why you would assume a position if what's going to do you a position? Maybe he likes it, well, maybe he hasn't, like maybe New Wander does. But and then what I thought was really fascinating and like kind of full of nuance was the Keating's response, because you expect Keating be you know, he's told in the season day this is his way of season. The day you got you got Knocks, going for the romance, you got Neil going for his drama. Todd's still working it out. This is his way of season the day. Surely Keating's going to be on board. But I thought this is a really kind of nuanced piece of writing and performance in the saying.
Speaker 3: Mister keating, mister Dolben with a pretty lame stunt you pulled today.
Speaker 11: You're siding with mister Nolan.
Speaker 8: What about carpet dim is sucking all the marrior out of life?
Speaker 4: Something the marrow out of life. It doesn't mean choking on the bone.
Speaker 3: See, there's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands what it's called for.
Speaker 4: But I thought you'd like that.
Speaker 3: You being expelled from school is not daring. To me, it's stupid because you'll miss some golden opportunities like what like if nothing else, the opportunity to attend my classes?
Speaker 4: Got it?
Speaker 11: Ace Hi, I captain, keep your head about you. That goes for a lot of you, Captain, phone call from God. If it had been collect it would have been daring.
Speaker 4: It's a great button, that last line.
Speaker 1: But it feels like that is the way you would That would probably play out in real life, but the movie version seems like he would somehow be more supportive, and where I love that he was, it's more nuanced.
Speaker 5: It's like the necessary lesson to seize the day, because like you just need to know when to seize the day, rather than it'd be like this catch all and I think it's what makes it more interesting. And it's something that I actually didn't expect from this movie. I thought it would not. I thought it would see the day would be a catch all phrase. But to find like that there is nuance within that, I thought, Okay, that's quite that's nice writing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I would love to know when they were he was writing that and with notes, whether that was I imagine you know, some notes could have come back and go, is this confusing the audience? Hang on because it's like you said, it shouldn't be a catch all thing. Yes, sees the day? You know, No, this is this is there's a lesson here And as I said, there's a nuances which were not used to nuance in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: It's just quite thoughtful, quite thoughtful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So let's get to the end.
Speaker 1: So they get to the point where they get found out and Cameron rats on on Keating. This is obviously following the tragedy of Neil and they're basically forced or pressured into signing this thing. What did you think was going to happen? But did you did you have an ending in mind?
Speaker 5: I honestly thought there would be more tragedy. I actually thought something really bad was going to happen to Robin Williams. I don't know why, Like it's just he loses his job, right, like that's but I thought that there would be I don't know, almost like a more like a sacrificial something from him. I don't even know what I mean, but it was just like one of.
Speaker 4: The original in the original draft, I think he got lukemia.
Speaker 5: See. I think that's maybe where I felt like it was heading or something like that, like he was like, but you know, he passed away and we can still continue his legacy and like bring it into our lives. I kind of thought that might be all happened, and I prefer that it didn't happen. I like it that it feels more like the way real life can feel like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that it's not this massive, massive thing because I'm watching a guy. Okay, so you know, like they've they've got keating, let me kicked down. How do you make this an upbeat film and give hope? Which you know, I feel like this movie doesn't work if you don't have some hope.
Speaker 4: How do you get that right, so you don't over you know, you.
Speaker 1: Don't gloss it too much, put too much gloss on it, but there needs to be that little bit of hope. And I thought they did an extraordinary job because you know, we've had this character Todd who's been hard to get through and hard to connect with, and he finally finds his voice, and yeah, I think it's it's it's pretty incredible. Let's have a listen to when Keating comes back in the principal is he's now taking the class. You know, it's it's great that he's wanting to get back to the book that they've ripped all the pages out, and Keating comes back to get his belongings and as he's walking out is when Todd finds his voice.
Speaker 2: Mister Keating, they made everybody.
Speaker 5: You got to believe me.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 2: I do believe you to leave, mister Keating.
Speaker 9: But it wasn't Miss Anderson, one more hard person from you or anyone else.
Speaker 2: And you're out of this school leader, mister Keating.
Speaker 9: I said to leave you, mister Keating, captain, my captain, he said, go, mister Anderson. You hear me, Sit down, sit go, This is don't final warning Henderson.
Speaker 2: Out gay you hear me?
Speaker 10: You cut to my captain, mister Street, I want you sit down, YO said, down all of you.
Speaker 2: I want you to see it. Sit down, mister kitty, Oh now I want to see it. Can you hear me? Swelling?
Speaker 1: The swelling is incredible? Is it a little bit more that will play in the second. But the composer was Maurice jar and it's fantastic.
Speaker 4: I do love.
Speaker 5: One.
Speaker 1: It plays with the angle of looking at life, their standing on the desk and looking at this from a different point of view.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful lesson. But I also love and not everybody stood up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: It wasn't uniformly everyone stands up if a Cameron stays down, which apparently that was the actor's choice. He refused to stand up because he said he said the character wouldn't stand up, and I think and Peter will be agreed with him. But when you're shooting on film and you don't stand up, you know it's a choice of made. And yeah, the director, it's Preston permanent at that point, but he's the one who has betrays her. He'll be feeling his own sense of guilt and he was never quite on board the keeping express, So I'm glad.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of glad he didn't stand up.
Speaker 1: I love that the guy, the cat he said on the back guy eventually said, yeah, these guys are right.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I also love the teacher just been like, sit down, sit down. It's like it's so funny, like in these types of movies where it's like they're still defiantly against the students uprising and stuff, and I think it's so funny just see them getting flustered and flamming.
Speaker 1: Happen if they stand on their desk eright, extra minute? Yeah, exactly how long is Keating in the state to stand on their desk for? It's not been televised exactly. I think that's what this should have been. We should have seen another four more minutes of like, okay, well what happens is this? What does this guy do next? Does Keating walk out of their room?
Speaker 5: What goes on? Do they how do they get back on their seats? What goes on there?
Speaker 4: Don't even fall off the desk. You've got to go with the allergies.
Speaker 5: There's a guy that gets like a little bit of verdigo because they're slightly too high for him up there.
Speaker 1: And then there's this beautiful shot of Rob Williams and it's kind of been used a lot since he tragically passed away, and it's kind of been almost every kind of highlight real you see Robin Williams. It kind of ends with this beautiful and then you know they could have they could have overwritten it, but it's quite simple, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: It's it's perfect for me, that ending.
Speaker 1: And then you just had a shot of Todd almost from the angle that he would have been seeing Todd at Yah. You know, now Todd seems like it almost look like a giant, like he becomes a man, he becomes a man, he becomes himself. Yeah, it's quite beautiful. It's like it could have been. You know, I don't like to say they make films that they used to, because in many ways they make better films. And you know, we've had an USCO winner this year that you know, it was one of the most original, mind bending films, but with heart and a great message. But sometimes there's something about the simplicity of some movies and they know how to end them. They don't have to put too much sugar mayonnaise at the end. They don't have to then have my mum's a bit of a bandit for a going. Oh but I want to know what happened next?
Speaker 4: Where did he go? I would from the desk? Yeah, I did love the idea of how long did they stand on the desk?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I would love to know what happens next to mister Key's life. I imagine he becomes a bachelor in New York City or something like that.
Speaker 4: This hits the coke massively, that's it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well, you know, the nineteen sixties are coming around. Maybe becomes a beatnick of some kind.
Speaker 4: I think he went to Vietnam DJ okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: See, we've got to restructure the Williams. The Williams ubra a three.
Speaker 1: Story Adrian cronou and there rest is history, some quick fun facts before we finish up. I've really loved having this chat, Peter. We shot this in chronological well the best capture the growing connection between Williams or Keating and the students. Robin Williams has actually gone through a divorce at the time, so may explain why he may have racked up on that first day and been a bit wooden't in all these lines was prepared, but just he didn't have the juice.
Speaker 4: Didn't have the juice going. So yes, Ethan Hawk thought.
Speaker 1: Peter Weirs spoke funny because it was the first Australian he'd ever met.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, so god, I hope I'm the last Izzie he meets.
Speaker 1: And Matt Damon and Ben Affleck have been on the record to say they auditioned for unspecified roles.
Speaker 4: It's interesting they later worked together in Goodwill Hunting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, have you ever seen there's another movie? This reminded me a lot of that only saw for the first time quite recently as well. You know, it's probably a lesser version of this, but school Ties with Brendan Fraser and Matt Damon, lots of other young actors Winn, Brendan Fraser, Yeah, oscarin and Brendan Fraser. Of course he did win for the Mummy.
Speaker 4: But finally finally justice.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's it.
Speaker 4: He was od.
Speaker 5: It was an olde oscar An Oscar in lou If you will. But have you ever seen that one?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: I don't think I have.
Speaker 5: It's a really weird one. It's written by Dick Wolf like the Law and Order guy and it's just before just as Law and Order is like kicking around, like just as it's starting. And it also it's a kind of different movie because it's only really about the boys, but it's still that same setting of like Upper Echelon's elite boys boarding school, but Brendan Fraser is a Jewish student who is like hiding his heritage from like the other students because of like the anti semitism around them in like the same era in nineteen fifties. It's more almost like like an issue movie that they would have had in like the fifties and sixties, like those Stanley Kramer type things like guess Who's coming to dinner and like those kind of things. It feels more like that. But that film as well, it's got it's really interest because there's moments where it feels like, as I think this movie is much better post Society on paper, it's much better, but School Tires has got like there's moments where it just truly feels like a movie from the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 4: Was this one?
Speaker 5: I don't think it ever really does. Like it still feels like it's made with like all the technique of the times. It's made in, but School Tires are something about its weird. It's got I think he might have Ben affleck in as well, but I know it's got Matt Damon. It's like he plays a little rat fucking it like they're real nasty. I think he's one of the great rats at cinema. Matt Damon, School Tires. I'm gonna put that on my list. Another spruit. I appreciate that, another spruit getting the word out. But let me tell you that's not a must watch. It's just kind of interesting to compare it to this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe on Spruit we need to have a little another little sub subfolder of like this.
Speaker 6: Is not like.
Speaker 5: Everyone there's a musty three star film.
Speaker 1: You know, Peter, we're supposed to make Green Card, and he didn't make Green Card in the end, but it was delay because Gerard Depaju had visa issues.
Speaker 5: Yeahses holy Ship, and so the the studio said why don't you direct the film in between his deput society. I do really like Green Card. It's a weird little movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I never kind of never kind of spoke to me that one. A'm I saying.
Speaker 1: Dustin Hoffman was attached to director Star and director at this stage Jael Gibson. Earlier Bill Murray. They spoke to him. Tim Allen actually said no, bad move, bad move to well.
Speaker 5: Not for history. Thank goodness, he did say no.
Speaker 1: And this is actually this may make you sick, but this is this draft or the draft that Tom Shulman, the writer sent to the studio was his first draft, which is not recommended.
Speaker 4: And it did change and did you go through quite a few changes. But it's interesting that it was the.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's pretty bold, yeah, really bold, And everyone was put off because of poetry and you know, there's no, it's.
Speaker 5: Not I guess it's not exciting for like the a student of ay has finally got a poetry movie and.
Speaker 4: You don't know that Rob Wooms are going to come in and Robin Williams in that role.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I just clicked Tom Shulman, what a weird filmography. Do you know what else he's written? Give us it, honey, I shrunk the kids? What about Bob holy Man, the Eddie Murphy movie, Welcome to Mooseport, the final film of Gene Hackman, and a movie I just watched recently that is a bad movie. Eight heads in a douffle Bag, the Joe Peshi movie, where would you believe He's got eight heads in a duffle bag traveling on an aeroplane.
Speaker 4: I've heard of that movie, I've never actually seen it.
Speaker 5: Well, let me tell this another not must recommend from me.
Speaker 4: That's really interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean to be honest, anybody gets a movie made, and you know that's an achievement in itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so Google hunting seems to be the absolute.
Speaker 5: Oh well, he directed a Heads and duffle Bag as well. What would you do if a guest on your podcast said, yeah, the movie I'm not seen and I've always wanted to his eight heads in a duffel bag?
Speaker 4: I would say, is it a classic?
Speaker 6: Bough?
Speaker 4: Is it a classic? I'm not sure. It feels like a different podcast.
Speaker 1: I would direct them to my sister podcast, The Ladies Got a dude cinemat Beck and.
Speaker 4: The Alex take care of that one. Dude. Only that dude's always talking about eight He.
Speaker 5: Did you see as and duffle Bag?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Their heads were so cool.
Speaker 1: And finally quite an interesting little you know, little multi verseing going on here, mister Perry kirkwood Smith wants Neil to be a doctor in the In the In the Neil played by Robert Shawan Leonard ends up playing a doctor in House MD and Neil, but Dix Charlie is going to be a lawyer and Just Charles plays a lawyer in.
Speaker 5: It's The The Good One, The Good Wife. Yeah, fine house.
Speaker 1: So there you go, Alexi. This podcast comes with homework. I really appreciate you turning up for it. Watching doing your homework and.
Speaker 5: Well, mister Kidding inspired me. I shall always do my whole work for.
Speaker 4: Now on and I cannot wait to do eight Heads in the Duffle Bag with you.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's going to happen one day.
Speaker 1: It's going to happen. But you're a legend. Keep doing great work. We can see you on the weekly. We cannot wait to see what you do after Finding Jesus, which is a massive success. If you haven't seen, I mentioned it in the intro. But if you haven't seen Finding Jesus, go and check that out. It's the third of your Finding episodes, after Finding Drago and Finding Gasparados, the one with your great mate Cameron James former Yasny guest as well.
Speaker 4: We be parentaled together it was a fun episode.
Speaker 5: I love that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great movie, great movie. But yeah, keep it up, mate, And before we wrap up, I do need to ask you. You came in going, yeah, you like them movie, But do you like it anymore?
Speaker 4: After chat?
Speaker 6: Do?
Speaker 5: Of course I do, my Lord, I feel inspired by it now. It's a very very sweet, lovely movie. It's hard not to like it. It is, and I tried my best not to. No, it's it's really really I feel an emotional connection to it.
Speaker 4: Now, well, let's go live our lives, to stand on some desks and books.
Speaker 5: Well, now they have your permission, I may stand.
Speaker 4: Hopefully see you back here for you, Like I said.
Speaker 5: Eight heads, eight heads, and where could they be situated? Of course in a duffle bag.
Speaker 4: Thanks mate, Thank you, Thank you, captain. Captain. He's a joy. Alexi Toleopolis.
Speaker 1: I have really enjoyed because when we did the first time I met Alexi was actually when we recorded that episode. It was last season or a couple of seasons ago, the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and that was the first time we had met. We met on Zoom, so we've been we've kind of met a few times since then, but not a lot. But I feel very comfortable with Alexi, and like I said, he's a joy a lot of things I said in the intro, He's articulate and bloody smart, loves loves film like a really unfiltered lover film. Like afterwards and I'm recording this, he's left the studio and he had some luggages heading to the airport, and he had like a box of DVD's Blue Red Dvdsy he's a collector.
Speaker 4: He likes, he likes the ownership, and good on him.
Speaker 1: But that was that was a lot of fun I really enjoyed, and I like this happens quite a bit on this podcast. Yeah, he liked Dead Parts Society, but then after an hour of chatting with me about it, liked it a little bit more.
Speaker 9: So I like that.
Speaker 6: I do like that.
Speaker 1: One thing I didn't mention, actually, when I mentioned that the film was shot chronologically, was this meant that when Robert Shawn Leonard's character Neil dies hit a weir, he was so strict on the chronological order and actually kind of keeping things as real as he could be.
Speaker 4: He wasn't allowed on set after that moment. That was how serious he too.
Speaker 1: He took that, and yeah, you might also see some foreshadowing when Robin Williams talks to the class and there's a line that he says, he mentions shrivel up, turn cold, that we all shrivel up, we have food for worms.
Speaker 4: Eventually we will all shrivel up, turn cold and die. The shot is on Neil.
Speaker 1: And also if you go back and listen to it, I'll give you guys a bit of home and go back and listen to the poem that they read at the start of the part society meeting, and that's actually in the malgam of the the same poet, but different from different parts of the poem. There might even be like another work that has gone into it, so it's not one collective poem, but it fits perfectly. And when we realize Neil's fate, if you actually read the poem again, it adds to the tragedy. So yeah, something to keep a night. If you haven't watched a movie, well there's a fair some spoilers in there for you. Thank you to everyone who reaches out to us here you ain't see nothing yet. You can reach us on the email at Yasney Podcasts at gmail dot com. Get on our Speak Part. Follow the links on our page and you'll find something call to Speak Part, where it's basically an answering machine message. You can leave your messages. We would love to hear your voice on the podcast. And of course you can go to the Apple Store where you download, or wherever you leave your podcast. Obviously we're here at iHeartRadio, but you can leave a review. I recommend five stars. It just keeps the algorithm moving. It will make more people aware of the show.
Speaker 4: So we would really.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that from you guys. But I really appreciate everything that you guys give to the show and the community that we are building. I've got something here here I would like to have a little read. And this is referring to an episode from last year. This is from Smegley on the Apple review site. They had to listen to an Older and an Older app and Kat Stewart and Midnight Cowboy.
Speaker 4: That was episode one of series five. I loved that.
Speaker 1: It was the first time I'd seen Midnight Cowboy as well, So thank you Schmglee and Schmedgley says, great listen. I just love the sound of her voice. One of the great actors in the strange showbiz history. I haven't seen it in ages and has inspired me to have another.
Speaker 4: Look. Hey, I'm watching here.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 1: Smeglee, I see what you've done, and that was totally improvised. I'm sure Kim up the good workpeat. You two are a star chees well.
Speaker 4: Thank you. That is very that's very kind.
Speaker 1: We also have one from Connections and Conversations that it gives five stars. Thank you as Aedish Megley, Thank you Peter and Darren. In regards to Darren Hayes episode, which is one of my favorite episodes, he did sing it in the rain. It was an extraordinary episode. In fact, he might be right at the top of the tree. Wonderful insights and personal story shared. And Pete, I hope you've recovered from your childhood trauma of losing your mother at the shopping center laughing emoji. I was thinking, I wonder if he means like literally lost to her for a few moments.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: If you haven't seen an episode, watch it and you'll know what we're referring to here. We watched a film now. I certainly hope you enjoyed it, so thank you. Thank you to everyone reaching out. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Okay, next week it's a good one.
Speaker 1: There are good ones, obviously, But next week on the show, I'm really excited by this. Well excited, it's probably the wrong word, because this is a very different episode of You Ain't Nothing Yet. My very good friend. You might know him with his he plays around with Tama Shenani a lot. You would know him from the stage the screen. You might know him from his wonderful podcast Imperfects. It's Ryan Shelton, and Ryan nominated the film that we need to cover. But it's going to be tricky. The film is nineteen ninety three's Shindless List. It's tricky because it's a traumatic film. I have seen it about half a dozen times. I think it's an extraordinary film, certainly film that everybody should watch at least once. So if you haven't watched it, this may be the perfect episode to get you to finally sit down and watch it. Ryan will be doing that for the first time. He does so with interrepidation. He is Jewish, he has history, family history with this moment in time. It's not going to be the easiest lighthearted episode Ye Nothing Yet episode. Ever, it'll be different. It'll be interesting and we'll see what happens so next week and you ain't see nothing yet my great mate Ryan Shelton with shameless list until then, take care, and so we leave old Pete save fan salt, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night