Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the Sitdown. I'm Mattrolope, a rata an editor for oz open dot Com and.
Speaker 2: I'm viv Christian, managing editor for Australian Tennis Magazine. And Matt, why are we sitting down this week with Bellenton Vashero.
Speaker 1: Well, he was a player obviously that came onto our radar late last year at the Shanghai Masters in probably what was one of the craziest tennis stories that either of us can remember, probably in the sports history. He was a qualifier ranked outside the top two hundred, who made the main draw and then beat a slew of top players, including Novak Djokovic in the semifinals, to arrive in a Masters final. And it got even crazier because there in the final he met his cousin Arthur Rinderkanesh and beat him to become a Masters champion and then suddenly was a top forty star. And when we met him in Melbourne at the Australian Open, he was a seated player at a Grand Slam for a first time. So it was we had to find out his story.
Speaker 2: And what an incredible tennis fairytale that was. And there's so many unlike likely parts to his tennis story. He comes from a very connected tennis family. He's one of the few players that we know from Monico. And speaking of Monico, the Monte Carlo Masters starts this week and Valentine revealed something very interesting about that tournament and what it means to him. Valentine Measurer, thank you for joining us on the sit down here at pod laver Arena. Is this your first podcast?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, We wanted it to be good trovers, not a few.
Speaker 2: You arrive at Australian Open twenty twenty six in a very different position than you were at the same time last year you were you lost in the second round of qualifying and now you're a seated player.
Speaker 3: Must feel very different for you, of course, none of those for sure. This was my first time here, less.
Speaker 4: Year in the quarters and the I mean, even if though he was in a qualities, I had a lot of fun because it's already really good to be in a qualities. And yeah, I mean if someone had told me a year later I would be back seeded, probably wouldn't have believed it. But now I'm here and fully focus on my new my new challenges, and everything.
Speaker 2: We know that your tennis career changed a lot last year after you won a election shanhaig Masters, but what changed for you personally after that?
Speaker 3: Well, personally not much for me. I mean training the same and everything.
Speaker 4: So of course I had over preseason a little bit more stuff to do around the around tennis, but focuses tennis is Tennis is number one. It's if I have time around tennis, then I can put some some just the little things of outside that. Now it's I have a bit more stuff to do, especially in Monaco. It's as countries, so everyone knew that I was going to be here for six seven weeks training, so.
Speaker 3: I had a lot of places to go. But it was fun. It's part of the Journey's part of the new life.
Speaker 1: We often ask I guess kind of what their goals are, and I just wonder, in your case, maybe prior to Shanghai or in twenty twenty five, maybe your goals were different to what they might be now when you're starting the twenty twenty six season. So is that true? Have your goals changed at all? And what are they at this point in your career?
Speaker 4: I mean, of course, I mean when I was ranked in Changay two hundred. My goal wasn't I was not saying to myself to be top ten or something. It was more to be top hundred first, And I mean to be honest. When I started chang Gay two four, it was already the end of September. Still my goal was still to try to be top hundred, and I knew I had to win three or four challengers for that. Well did it, did it another way, but I don't mind it. It's more than okay, And now, of course it's way different goals that I put myself. It's not about the ranking or anything. It's more yeah, like a goal for Grand Slam, go go get a second week this year. If I can do it here already, then that will allow me to put new goals after.
Speaker 3: Goals, like.
Speaker 4: Just give even though before it was the same give one hundred percent, but I feel like even more now. Just try to give like one hundred and ten percent. Every match is to get as many win as possible throughout the season, because sometimes you might play good and lose because everyone is even better.
Speaker 3: Now at the level I'm at.
Speaker 4: So it was more about like the mental part, like to be one hundred percent, focus mentally on every single of the matches, and then the ranking will follow or not, and this will see and then of course try to go. Yeah, another big one is to try to go get another title. Whatever, if it's an AHP to fifty five hundred, I don't care, just get another one.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, how on that. You are playing a different kind of caliber or category of opponent now, and just everything about your career trajectory has changed. The tournament you can enter has changed. Your direct entry here in your seed, your schedule probably changes now because your ranking puts you in a different place. So adjusting to that change in these opportunities for you. And yeah, this high level of opponent you play week in week, how has that been to adjust to since October?
Speaker 4: Well, I think, I mean after Shanghai, I just did pretty well. Also, in which is good is that I had the chances to play in Basil in Paris they allowed me to play, giving me wild cards because the least were already out after Shanghai, but they allowed me to play. I gave a good fight in Shanghai. In Basil against Fritz, lost three dy clause and then won three more matches in Paris made it to a quarterfinal, and I think that helped, just putting the let's say the base in my head because of course, hi, yeah I did it. I won the Tournament's it's amazing, but some can say, okay, it was like a fairy tale week. It was just everything was going my way. But just to do it again, play good matches also in two other places afterward helped me can be like, Okay, now this is my level. I've done it for a few tournaments and gave me even more confidence going to this year because you can show some people are like, okay, is it going to hold up? Is he going to hold up this year as well? And everything? And me I think, I mean, I gave myself the answer is already and now it's just yeah about playing all those matches one hundred and in person and then we'll do the count at the at the end of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm switching gears a little bit. Tell us about your start in tennis.
Speaker 4: Uh, well, my star was really easy. My whole family plays tennis, so basically born basically born with a racket. So now, yeah, I was just you know, I think whenever I was what four or five years old, or just playing with my.
Speaker 3: With my parents and everything.
Speaker 4: And then lealilu by a little playing my first tournament at like what maybe nineteen years old, having a bit like more of like a setup practices at eleven twelve years old, because I was starting to I was playing a little bit decent, and yeah, just then after just started to grow a bit and blia and.
Speaker 2: As I understand that that start was in Monte Carlo, which also has the Monte Carlo Masters, which is one of the most beautiful tournaments in the world. Did that inspire you as well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent. It was my favorite week of the year. That's all I was waiting for, was for the tournament. My coach who's my brother, was playing. Back in the day, I was mostly ranked all of his carrier around the two hundred, but since Hiss from an Aqua as well was getting a world card every year, so I was allowing me to watch him play there or so, and uh, yeah, that was generally my.
Speaker 3: Favorite week of the year. I was waiting for that.
Speaker 4: I was praying that it was going to be during vacation so I didn't have any problem to go from nine am to to seven pm on site. And watch every single match as possible, catch every autograph possible, and and yeah, of course that's why it's weird. But I rather win Motecalo than a Grand Slam if I could, to be honest, like it's maybe number one Motekaalo and then rather let's say one person under all the Grand Slams. But of course I wouldn't mind winning her Grand Slam. But yeah, yeah, that just really special is the club that I've always been playing tennising.
Speaker 3: So yeah, were there.
Speaker 2: Any particular years or players that you remember saying that?
Speaker 3: Uh, well, I remember two thousand and six really well.
Speaker 4: My my my brother made from qualified to Run of sixteen and played the played Roger Federer in the Run of sixteen in two thousand and six. That's when Roger was basically owning tennis at that moment. And that's why that was the age I was seven eight years old. So I grew up when like those those years when Roger, as I said, was owning tennis.
Speaker 3: So that's why he is my adult for me.
Speaker 4: And Roger gave his headband and raisband to my brother and gave it to me. Unfortunately, now, I mean Roger asked me in Shanghai. If I knew I was the because you remember that story, if I knew it was the risband and the headband, and I said, okay, it was a few years. A fewears has passed and my room has changed a lot, so I don't know where it is anymore. Somewhere, Yeah, if I give it a good look, I could find it. But well, yeah, so there was there was that year of course, then I think maybe I think it's maybe the first year tw six where I watched Djokovic played when you arrived and played you. I think you played for the air first round or something like that. That's when you arrived. And then all those years watching Rafa, when back to back to Baka, starting to oh on the bid the world of Tennis on clay, and then no, just not one specific here. I mean then of course twenty twenty two, sorry to the first time that I got to play, I go to work card into the qualifying those very special, but then just every time it was just really really cool to watch and.
Speaker 1: It looks very beautiful on screening. I think it's on.
Speaker 3: The most beautiful one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, before you went in Shanghai, you had many years obviously on the Challenger circuit and there are inevitable challenges in your inner place career and it. Players talk a lot about the grind of being on the Challenger circuit. How was that experience for you and what did you kind of learn about yourself in that time.
Speaker 4: The thing is that, yeah, you can, you can call it a grind in Challengers if you But I think it's a grind because.
Speaker 3: Everyone is just so good.
Speaker 4: Everyone is really good, and there's not one easy matches and Challengers that's why it's so hard and it's so hard to just get through. I think the biggest grind is before that. It's in it's in futures. If if you can just for first of all, get out, get out of the ifs as quick as possible, that's that's the best. Because this is the real jungle and grind. When you get to Challengers, you start to play in actually like really nice clubs, really nice tournaments, you get the hotel paid for, it's usually in decent cities, and so Challengers is tough to call it a grind. I think it's more of a grind on the on the court because it's really the level is almost as.
Speaker 3: Hard as in the top hundred and so yeah.
Speaker 4: Always good is that I got all of the futures is pretty pretty quickly and probably less than a year when I started on tour. And yeah, then I played Challengers all the time until Shanghai, except when I sticked in and a few qualities of ATP to fifties before getting hurt, I started to get in qualities of one master of one thousand. But yeah, I think Challengers is just another level just for the players you play, and everyone is just so hungry to get past the challengers who go on the big tour that that's what makes it really hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Another part of your story is that you come through the US college system and that's becoming, i think increasingly a part why a lot of players have success with and the careers are longer now so you don't have to go pro as fast. How is the college experience for you and do you think it's helped you to get where you are now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was amazing.
Speaker 4: I mean I had a very different path from like twelve th twenteen years old. I never were I never was homeschooled. I went to normal school all the time. I wasn't in a. I had a decent level, but more around like sixteen, seventeen and eighteen towards the end before it was harder for me. But I think going at eighteen was never really an option for me, even though I think I had that the descent ranking at eighteen, I was already maybe seven hundred and fifty or something. I had a few points. But going to college was normal. I joined the I joined my cousin that was there, Arthur Rendergnink. It was just really easy to make the decision because he's already been there for three years. He was already getting better. He told me, like how good Steve then turned and Kevin Oche the coaches in Texas anymore. So, Yeah, it was easy choice for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, As you mentioned earlier, your idol growing up was Roger Federer. What was it like meeting him last year.
Speaker 3: In Schinha, Yeah, No, it was. It was super nice.
Speaker 4: It's pretty funny because he was there for like the whole second week, I think, And it took me maybe it took me four days to cross him, Like you know, it took me four days to cross him. I just maybe my girlfriends i've seen him crossed him maybe ten times before me. I actually crossed him once. That's pretty fun. Know, I was getting mad at that, so went finally I saw him. It was great, and then we had the He stayed for the I think he watched me maybe semi final and final, and then stayed for the for the celebrations after so and then I got to speak a little while with him, and yeah, it was very special, of course he was really he was really cooler.
Speaker 2: Now that a little time has passed since you had that incredible run in Shanghai, and you know it's called a fairy tale, how how do you look back on it now?
Speaker 4: I mean sometimes I still pinch myself to see if it was a bit real, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean I try to just not.
Speaker 4: Forget all the just all the images that in my head that happened over there. It was a little bit, let's say, like a little apparentheses in my life.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just start to even believe sometimes that it was real. Uh.
Speaker 4: But I tried to just not also think about it all the time and stuff, because it's I'm not saying like for my tennis, yes, it was an amazing example for how I played, how balald and and everything, but also just getting back on earth and just now this is my place, this is why I belong and try to like gradually keep keep climbing and see where I can end up by the end. And but of course this probably took the It is probably the Besos two weeks are the base of hopefully a second huge part of my of.
Speaker 3: My care area.
Speaker 2: You you have achieved so many firsts for Monaco tennis. Does does that come with I mean, of course it's very proud, it must be very proud. But any pressure as well.
Speaker 4: Now zero because uh, pride, yes, of course, Because I mean probably people see Monaco as just this little area where there's money and everything and it's just about going there to go to the beach and play casino. But it's such a small country and what they do, what we do for sport is amazing. And now we have a few athletes at really high level of their sport with La Cleric in f one, myself in tennis, and we have also others pushing in different sports and that's amazing because it's so small. There's only nine ten thousand people actually from Monaco, and yeah, there's just full on, full on pride and I'm so happy to let's say, put Monaco with also romainu Go or to doubles players that are also in the top fifty to them. So now even three like up there in the rankings and we're able to be all here together in tournaments. Now it was more about me joining them since they were already playing like better tournaments than me in doubles. And yeah, and now it's cool because he is really really the first woman where our Taviska coach is also here and it's generally the whole the whole team here, so it's it's it's really cool. And uhid, just more like I said this way.
Speaker 1: You alluded to your brother before your tennis family. That story was massive playing in the final of Shanghai and being your cousin. We also found out that Chloe Pake is your cousin, and Benjamin Balaray your coach. Is he uncle a cousin?
Speaker 3: What is my brother? And is Arthur's cousin? Yeah, it's just Arthur's Arthur's mom and my mom my sisters.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Chloe kloy Is is the daughter of my mom's cousin.
Speaker 1: So she's like a second But this is like a tennis dynasty this family is amazing, but not that's not common in professional tennis. Certainly, lots of families player, but this is amazing.
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: What's that been like? To have so many tennis connections in your own family?
Speaker 3: It's unique?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's unique, and it's good because there's also there's always going to be someone in your family that's around your level, so there's nothing to just be too proud about.
Speaker 5: The leading partners all the time. I guess, yeah, I mean to be just too bit too proud. But when I was two hundred, my only goal was to just try to catch up Arthur, to be with him more first of all, and uh, to be just where it was because it's been in the top hundred for for so long now and now I finally finally did it and we're together, so it's really cool. And then all of the family to just come and watch us play the same place.
Speaker 3: Now, so this you're easy.
Speaker 1: And you're playing doubles together.
Speaker 3: Yes we lost yesterday, but no described but that's still cool that you complain, so again, no, no, no, yeah, that's the goal.
Speaker 4: And now we're here and we play for fun doubles and the only one we want to have fun, and we're going to play in a few in a few tournaments over the year, but really just to just not bother mentally or what we've doubles, just really just to have fun and and keep on the competition.
Speaker 3: Let's say, in between singles.
Speaker 2: Must be be really nice for you to be able to spend time together at tournaments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, finally, I mean I've been trying to catch him, trying to get up with him for so many years. He's been putting the bar pretty high for me. But finally I'm with him.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: So, I guess you've been very generous with the time, Valentine. We appreciate it. Just to kind of tie it up and look ahead to twenty twenty six for you, where is your schedule going? Where is your schedule taking you? And are there any players now that you're at this level in the game you've never faced before that you would you'd like to challenge yourself against.
Speaker 4: I think Dan's really easy, Yeah, Nick Ciner Karaz, any guys in the top top ten of five, you want to play them just to see how it is and to see how you are where your game is at that moment, just to compare yourself a bit to them and see what you can do better, what you're doing good, what's working, what's not working against the best of the sport. I had a chance to play or Kovich in Shanghai, Tito Fritz in Basel, Felix in Paris. I already played a few, but I mean, we can say that Yannick and Carlos are a little bit in a different league right now, or it will be really cool anytime soon if I can play one of them amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, we hope to see that as well. Thank you so much for joining us on the sitdown and good luck.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Great to catch up with Valentine during the Australian Open, where he went on to make the third round, and ever since leaving Melbourne he's continued his upward trajectory. Recently he made the second week of the Miami Masters and he's risen to a career high ranking of twenty three. So now he's knocking on the door of the top twenty, which is just amazing considering where he was just a few months ago before that Shanghai breakthrough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fairy tale continues for Valentine and just goes to show what one big result can do for a tennis players.
Speaker 1: Career, absolutely and will be very interested to see what he manages to do in Monte Carlo this week.
Speaker 2: We'll be back next week with another episode of The sit Down. Please remember to subscribe so you never miss an episode, and we'd love you to leave us a rating and review.
Speaker 1: See you next week, Matt, See you then vis