Speaker 1: Laura, come on in.
Speaker 2: Hello Friday.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello by Friday, Very me and shy Laura.
Speaker 3: Hello Brittany. There is a lot of energy coming out of you today in Surrey.
Speaker 2: This certainly is I'm vibing well.
Speaker 4: I've been on a couple of dates recently, and I might be talking about my dates on the show today and I'm.
Speaker 1: Feeling good speaking not cute? Do you know what? Do you know?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: Else? Is very cute?
Speaker 3: I think parents think that everything that their kids do is cute. But Lola, she's currently in competition with her sister about everything thing.
Speaker 1: She's two years old.
Speaker 3: She will compete with her sister about who can eat the breakfast faster? Who can they get up the stairs faster? She competes on everything. It's very cute. She always says she's the winner. But she started competing on Peo size this.
Speaker 6: Big poopy and what did I do?
Speaker 2: Can they be?
Speaker 1: So she thinks she's the winner because her turd was bigger?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Am I hearing that correctly?
Speaker 2: Literally?
Speaker 1: Literally?
Speaker 2: Wait till she sees Maddie Jay's winner.
Speaker 1: That's cute?
Speaker 2: Can I say?
Speaker 4: We just played that audio? But Laura has been showing us the footage. We have seen the poopoos.
Speaker 3: Laura's can't just show the footish and I was like, yes again you can, Guys, what honey of it? I know that every parent thinks their kids are cute, but every so often they do something it just gets you get your right, we should do that, Britta, Laura, who's got.
Speaker 2: The cutes purpoos out of the two of you? It's me for sure, all right?
Speaker 4: Today on the show, joining is Anthony Klea, obviously from Australian Idol, then from Home and Away, Tim Campbell.
Speaker 2: They're a couple, but they're heading on tour.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I could go on tour. Actually that's not true. I am going with me. I can go on tour with you.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say with my hus but then I remembered he's coming with us, and so I ate my words halfway through the sentence.
Speaker 4: I will have to compare. Because they're joining us on the show today. They're a talented bunch.
Speaker 1: We're also gonna be talking about some brainwashing.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's next year. At the pickup.
Speaker 3: I came across an article the other day and Britt, I'm so interested to get your take on this, which I'm equally as interested, but it probably won't relate to you as much because it's about women.
Speaker 1: Mitchie, Yeah, I want your opinion, but less so.
Speaker 2: Not as much as bricks. That's not at the end.
Speaker 3: But I think it's something that will really really relate to women. Now, I don't know if you've ever heard of this, but it's a new term that's been coined and it's called good girl brainwashing.
Speaker 1: Sounds highly illegal now.
Speaker 3: The person behind the phrase is a woman named Lisa Waang, and she is the author of the book The Bad Bitch Business Bible. So basically, she defines this good girl brainwashing as a set of subconscious messages that are perpetuated by society and by media. And this is something that starts from so young, where it trains women to be to be silent, to be small, to be subordinate, to be obedient, and to behave quote unquote like a good girl. And the idea of this is that you know, these are traits that we are conditioned from a really young age. But then when you've been exposed to something for your entire life, it's not like you become an adult and all of a sudden you have agency and the ability to speak up for yourself. So we take these traits into the workplace and it makes it quite challenging to speak up for yourself, to ask for a pay rise, or to assert yourself in business environments where you need to have a bit more authority and have a bit more power behind you and confidence in yourself.
Speaker 1: So what's the point of this.
Speaker 7: Has she written a book about it, or has she just released a term about it? Or is she saying that we shouldn't be saying, ah, you're a good girl to young girls, Like, what's the point behind this?
Speaker 3: Well, no, it's not that there's the point behind it is that she's saying that these are traits that women struggle with as they get older, that asserting themselves is something that seems to be in terms of what she does, which is she helps women within and thrive as being business owners. This is something that is a very female trait that we struggle with, being assertive. It's not a trait that a lot of men struggle with because we praise it in young boys.
Speaker 1: But we praise boys who stand up for themselves.
Speaker 3: I agree, who can go out there and get what they want, and traditionally speaking, depending on where you've grown up, your family backgrounds, those qualities are not as prized in young little girls.
Speaker 7: I get what she's saying, but I'm going to disagree with something there. I don't think there's a lot of I don't think this good girl term there's been coined for when you're a child. I don't think that has anything to do with whether you put your hand up and go after what you want and tell your boss what you want. I don't think that's got anything to do with it. It wasn't that long ago. Women didn't work, women weren't allowed to vote. I think that's got a bigger part to do with people women quote unquote having to not ruffle the feathers at work and feel grateful because there's not that many positions for women. Women are fighting for CEO positions. I don't think those things are all interrelated. Though you don't think that they all connect to each other. I mean a thousand things inter relate. Yeah, but I would say, like, wouldn't I wouldn't be jumping to the first reason a woman doesn't go after what she wants in the job in the workforce is because she was told to be a good girl when she was a kid.
Speaker 1: I think it's the fact that we couldn't even work that long.
Speaker 4: No, but I see how it is how brain the term brainwashing can emerge from it because it's not as much brainwashing, it's conditioning, like social conditioning.
Speaker 3: I guess it comes down to this idea as well, is that women can and often so, that we are people pleasers. Right, that happens, and we're conditioned to women who will say, oh, I'm so sorry when they shouldn't be saying sorry. They haven't done anything wrong, but sorry almost becomes like a filler word that we use.
Speaker 1: And it's very.
Speaker 3: Rare to have these conversations on the flip side and to say, oh, that man that he is a people pleaser. He's often always apologetic or bending over himself not to ruffle feathers. That's where this ideology comes from, and I just think it's really interesting. And the reason why I related to it is because I grew up in a all girls' school where we were taught to be obedient. We were told to be quiet and to pay attention and to not ask big questions or be disruptive in class.
Speaker 1: And I think about what.
Speaker 3: My schooling was like and I don't think I was a naughty kid, but I was always in trouble and it's because I talked a lot. And then now as an adult, I work in a career where talking is celebrated, and I just think that sometimes those things are not really they're not heroed in little girls as much as they can be in little boys.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we know the way that we're.
Speaker 7: Brought up in our school, in our environment where the product of five people around us, we know all of that is going to hugely affect who we.
Speaker 1: Are as adults.
Speaker 7: And that's exactly what you said, Laura just then is you grew up in a school that was very conservative, and it was Catholic, and you obviously had far stricter rules. I grew up as like a wild, crazy tomboy. I was at a public school, which was an amazing school, but I was in an environment that was celebrated for that. Like I was always pushing the teachers in terms of like being a bit naughty, being a bit outspoken, being a bit of a tomboy, pushing the boundaries. I was always going for things that I were so far out of people's reach, and I like you Mitch was school captain, like it was almost like that was worded and celebrated.
Speaker 3: But I also think, Britt, it's really important to keep perspective. The other part of this that we haven't even mentioned is it's also cultural. We're speaking about it from our own experiences, but I mean for different cultures, women play a different and a different role, you know, and maybe that it is not as celebrated, so we can speak about it from our own personal experiences, but this exists on a much broader scale, and everybody is going to have their own experience and the own way that they've shown up to being brought up as little boy a little bit.
Speaker 2: You're r Laura.
Speaker 4: I think just being aware of it and the term brainwashing is nice because it makes you realize just how conditioned that you can be from such a young age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was a really interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, guys stand by joining us next, Tim Campbell and Anthony Khalia. There are a couple of musical talents. They're actors from Home and Away to Australian Idol. They're heading on a national tour and they're going to be stopping by the pick up next. We're very excited for our next guests. We've got a couple on the year with us. Do you love Oh yeah, you'll know Anthony Khalia obviously from Australian idol fame Aria's Galore number one songs on the Arias charts. You'll then know Tim is partner, best known for playing Dan Bakery and Home and Away. It is, of course ethnically out Tim Campbell. They're heading on tour. They're joining.
Speaker 8: Guys.
Speaker 7: Hey, the show starts this weekend. Our show also our live tour also starts this weekend. We are so beyond nervous. How are you guys feeling heading into this?
Speaker 6: You know what the trick is a lot of vodka?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, no me drinking being on stage. We're just ending me mumbling and probably falling asleep. So I don't think anyone's going to pay to watch that.
Speaker 5: We will leave you a little bit of a surprise in the dressing room at the State Theater.
Speaker 8: We're not going to fight in there, don't worry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you guys are doing the up close and unpredictable tour. You guys obviously a couple You've done this in May. But where did the tour come from I guess because I love watching your videos and the girls and I were chatting in the songs during COVID when we were all locked down, you were doing your lip sync videos. Is this where the tour has stemmed from that success?
Speaker 2: Pretty much? Well, that was an idea.
Speaker 8: Look, it's taken sixteen years together to actually put a tour together. We've never done this before, and I think, I guess normally when you go to work, you get away from your apartment. Idiots here to work together. But yeah, look at the show is loosely ordered biographical. So we do it in our own songs, but I guess in the messaging too, and the kind of chats on stage, and yeah, if you follow it on social media, the bathrobes do make an appearance in the show as well, And so so.
Speaker 7: I can understand, is it okay put it into a category? Is it a stand up comedy show? Is it a musical biography?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What do we ask?
Speaker 1: Is it a burless dancing? What are we talking about?
Speaker 8: Well, look at a music concert. I mean that that's what we do. We perform live with our band. We use the same musician, So there's a lot of solos, duos, but there are some comical moments and look, you say burlesque I performed in a theater restaurant, because I say it's loosely biographical. Back in the nineties, and back in the nineties you can do things to people you know, not anymore.
Speaker 3: Don't you're supposed to back then either, though that's probably.
Speaker 8: True too to say I'll be revisiting my moments with lots of hens nights on long tables. But there is a song that I do that I did about thirty years ago, and let's just say Rabbit is a Bitch, and it looks a little bit different.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: Let's just say I have seen more of Tim on this tour than I have in sixteen years. When we're usually doing you know, sexy time at home. He tells me to turn the lights off on stage. He wants a spotlight and he gets his hearing.
Speaker 1: I love it now we've gone to the bottom of it. It's actually a strip show, is what I'm hearing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, Look, to be fair, I actually have two cousins who used to be in Manpower, so we're very Showby's family.
Speaker 6: I've got a kick, you know.
Speaker 3: I want to know you, It says in your press release that it could end in divorce. This whole tour could end in the demise of the relationship. What's why, Why is it going to end in divorce?
Speaker 6: We have because he's ava to work with.
Speaker 2: I've heard the rooms.
Speaker 6: No, this is We've got nineteen shows to go.
Speaker 5: Whoever comes to the shows at the end of this tour, it might be just me or it might be just Tim, because you know, this is definitely testing the relationship.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 5: We also do have separate hotel rooms on this tour.
Speaker 2: Is that true? Is that real? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Because for your boys, you need to rest your voice and off.
Speaker 4: Why don't we play a quick game? I mean, I love you two as a couple. Should we do a little round of who's more likely to? Yes, it's celeb pedition. Let's let's let's go to a break when we come back more with Ethinker and Tim Campbell here at the pickup.
Speaker 2: Great to have the boys here.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun, so.
Speaker 4: Much fun, and they've been together for years, almost two decades, So we thought we'd play a round of who's more likely to with the boys?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, all right? I'll kick it off. Who's more likely to go skinny dipping?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's easy, Tim. He does it all the time.
Speaker 3: He's getting naked on stage to be just established. I reckon, he's got no problems.
Speaker 2: So you an exhibition? Is Tim? Do you like getting your gear off?
Speaker 6: I'm almost fifty.
Speaker 2: I'm not getting that much off.
Speaker 8: Come refunds.
Speaker 6: Tim.
Speaker 1: Who's more likely to not a phone call?
Speaker 6: Oh me, I do that all the time, or like a prop screen, but then.
Speaker 8: It's followed up by phone. Oh my god, I'm gonna why do they call? I'll call them back?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right, that's the control for it.
Speaker 2: Okay. Who's more likely to eat cereal as a meal for dinner?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I put I put my greens powder on it as well, And then I go, okay, someone's sort of getting nutrition and I'm not coming too much carbs.
Speaker 2: Silk, cocoa pops. And at the end of the day, I'm pro.
Speaker 1: Cereal for dinner. So I've got you back on that line.
Speaker 2: That's all Britty eat. She lives on cereal.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, this is about me. Who's more likely to get arrested for no just arrested?
Speaker 8: Probably probably me to be honest, because I've got less of a filter, so I'm going to be canceled one day, I'm sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's got a bit of a temper as well.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 9: Painting Tim in such an unlikable line and he with's greens on his cereal like an angel, and then Tim's running around naked.
Speaker 4: Okay, who's more likely to apologize first after an argument?
Speaker 6: Oh me? For sure?
Speaker 5: Calm down, William, because I'm a person that I go into an argument thinking that I've got this, like I'm going to win this down. But he like he's got a way with words, and he was obviously really good in the debating team ats or something like that, because I never ever win an argument.
Speaker 6: And then I just look at him and go, yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: For this is why we kids do that language.
Speaker 3: Who would be more likely to survive the apocalypse out of the two of you?
Speaker 2: Oh me?
Speaker 8: I mean unless your gse has five star hotel?
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 1: This is no offense, But I feel like I could have picked that one as well.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we love it. If you want to go get tickets. Up Close and.
Speaker 4: Unpredictable kicks off the day before the Life on Cut tour as well, so exciting.
Speaker 1: Go see them when they come see us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get it double where me? You kind of look kind of like the female version of Anthony and Tim.
Speaker 3: We also sleep in separate hotel rooms and.
Speaker 4: It's perfect. Guys, great to have you on the show. It took us for the show.
Speaker 2: It's okay, Yeah, good luck, congrats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be amazing. Guys.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back after this here on the pickup.
Speaker 4: So I have been single for a couple months now, back on the dating scene. I've really you know, brought you, Britain Laura and the pickup listeners along with my journey from breakup to sadness.
Speaker 1: You have been hitting the dating scene hard.
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm single now and I just turned twenty eight. I'm really enjoying it. I told you about my first date after going through a breakup. That was a kmart. Yeah at three pm.
Speaker 1: Roman TICKI came out of the gate run. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm really learning how this whole thing works. Really at this point in my life. Anyway, I downloaded the dating apps and you might remember this from a couple of weeks ago, you guys, Britain Laura recorded a personalized greeting the when you open my hinge, this is what it sounds like.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Mitch's dating profile.
Speaker 7: This is Laura and I'm Brittany, and we are Mitch's closest friends from the Pickup National Radio show.
Speaker 1: Here to give you a review.
Speaker 7: First up, Mitch has an absolutely great sense of humor, but often lasting himself too much, which I think takes.
Speaker 1: Away from the joke.
Speaker 3: He has a fantastic drawl line. But you better be into walking because this man does love a hot girl walk and he pretty much walks all the time, every day without stopping him when he's sleeping. Mitch has a lot of potential, which I'm sure we will fully see once he actually moves out of home.
Speaker 4: Well done, guys, Because can I just say, since that's been on my dating profile, I've secured three successful dates.
Speaker 3: I think that that is a wonderful reference from us, just Fi, but also britt I will always vouch admit Mitch, we can go in there.
Speaker 1: My name is mich I couldn't be bothered to say the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Michael's the best co host we've ever had. Well, the thing is, I thought, so I's like this is good. I'm getting dates, you know, by celeb powers and help.
Speaker 1: What's the feedback? Ben? Are they you know, are people wanting to book us for speaking jobs? Well, no, not wanting to book you for a date.
Speaker 2: Nothing yet.
Speaker 4: I want to date this one guy gorgeous, really cute, and I'm like, this is great. The banter is electric and I said, do you want to meet up? It goes perfect, let's meet up. Can we fit it around your radio schedule?
Speaker 2: And I know that's nice.
Speaker 4: He knows about the radio show, is intuitive, he's you know, switched on. So we turn up and we get there and the first thing he says was like, oh, Britt.
Speaker 2: And Laura aren't with you on our date?
Speaker 3: I mean and look, maybe he thought you were going to come, as you know, our little combo deal because we do spend a lot of time together.
Speaker 1: We're aways on your Instagram, we do.
Speaker 2: And I thought that's funny. He's referencing the voice message.
Speaker 4: Yeah, funny, let me sit down the missing there and he goes, yeah, we'll get a drink. Thank you, orders to drink. He goes, so how close are you actually with Maddie? J Oh, this is your husband, Laura?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: It's getting weird.
Speaker 2: I go, I go, oh, we're pretty close. I've not him for years. We've been to.
Speaker 1: Balley together, voice notes for each other all the time.
Speaker 4: Matt and I are real close. He goes Finny and then BRIT's boyfriend Ben from Scotland. You're friends with him? And I was like, oh, we're really jumping, but jump around, aren't we? Yeah, Britt, Britt and Ben and I get along with FaceTime all the time in Scotland, which we do. Britt, you know we're closed.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I didn't realize how much actually until until I saw the voice log.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're quite close. I go, funny anyway, so what do you do for work? But nothing as fun as yours?
Speaker 2: My god? The girl's podcast is doing well.
Speaker 1: They want to date us, not you.
Speaker 2: Ally wants is you?
Speaker 3: He didn't give ah wait, sorry, you got a fanboy.
Speaker 2: He didn't care about me.
Speaker 1: You found a fan boy. He was trying to Mitch fanboy.
Speaker 2: He was trying to get to you through me.
Speaker 1: Did you bring him? I mean, you know, it's fine.
Speaker 2: I actually promised him a selfie, so if you don't mind taking it.
Speaker 1: Do you call him out on that? Or did you like are you just going to be like, you know what, we'll just make out.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. The one benefit of being friends with you is that I use it. Are you to build?
Speaker 1: That was exactly what you were going to say.
Speaker 3: And I bet you you've like teed up some sort of double date or like, well, I don't even know what you call it, the tour of us and then Britt on our own because Ben's overseas, right.
Speaker 1: You got it. My boyfriend lives over.
Speaker 3: So there will FaceTime Ben and he can come as well. Okay, so how did they progress? Like once you realized that he had actually asked you no personal questions about yourself, was only interested about.
Speaker 1: Your work and usk, which is just weird. Where to go?
Speaker 4: It didn't really go anywhere because he genuinely just wanted to know about the too.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. It was at the same time I.
Speaker 4: Was house sitting Brits and he goes, oh, so he's BRIT's house close to here. I'm like he because I'm like, oh, maybe he wants he wants me to go back to the house.
Speaker 1: Probably smelling monkeys. He didn't take no.
Speaker 4: I thought he wanted to, you know, take it to the next step, you know, but no, he just wanted to scope your house out.
Speaker 1: So did you take this stranger that's obsessed with us.
Speaker 2: To my house? Absolutely not. I would never do that.
Speaker 7: He did.
Speaker 1: Look at your face. I saw it on the dog can.
Speaker 2: Let's go, let's get out of here.