Speaker 1: I think we could have record number of people in here today. Were in trouble because it feels like a lot of security.
Speaker 2: We're getting more employees from Australia to supervise. I feel like someone's a spy.
Speaker 1: Someone's a spy. Who is it? Take three?
Speaker 3: Take three?
Speaker 2: Should I cut it and start it again?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: It's beginning to look a lot like tennis.
Speaker 1: Joil around the ground. Everywhere you look, there's a people with their hats. So can I just go home?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 4: Pay everybody. You're back on Tennis FM with Fridgie and the Bear. Another huge day at the Australian opened a day number two was in the books. Let's check in with our weather girl Lizzy.
Speaker 1: Who everyone, it's.
Speaker 2: I can talk today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's gonna be another hot one out there.
Speaker 3: Michael doing.
Speaker 1: I think I've lost the plot. I've had two coffees already.
Speaker 2: Oh I am look out.
Speaker 1: I need to go back to bed. Night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's here we are. Day number two is done and the first round is still going. It's just for anyone who's been watching tennis forever. It feels weird that three days into a tournament. That's still round one. Yeah, it should be done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was two days right before, and now they started earlier on the Sunday and it goes for three days. That is a long time. I know it's a little bit easter break.
Speaker 2: It's a bit easter breaking, but there's so many matches to get through. So much happened yesterday. I want to begin by talking about probably the most important tennis match that happened over the past couple of days. I played my good buddy Oliver Water Club. Yes, big serve, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Which is one big serve. That's how I heard that. Mike did one big We did a.
Speaker 2: One point slam. No, we played best of three sets and then the third set decider, I lost six three. But I have something to blame it on.
Speaker 1: Oh what is this?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: He looked at me.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, I was. I was thinking about how if I did that. It's beginning to look a lot like tennis riff. You would not stick to land.
Speaker 1: Terrible landing.
Speaker 2: My excuse is, for some reason, the Tennis Club, when they're they have a practice or whatever training lessons going on on the other courts, they decided to start blaring music through the speakers, So do they now surround the club? And I'm the third set was is where we are too? All in the third and it's my serve and I just hear it you, I'm like, I can't.
Speaker 1: I love that ruined me.
Speaker 2: I couldn't play with Usher he's too Yeah, so I choked and then.
Speaker 1: Look, id I saw a bit of that yesterday when I was watching in Bocou and Emerson. The Apparol dance team was outside doing like a promotion with music, and they had a big speaker that they were carrying in like a beach buggy bag. I know, it was ridiculous. So they had like five people doing the Apparole dance. It was very distracting and you could you would have been able to hear it from the court, right, So it's even happening to the pros.
Speaker 2: Mike Boco taking that one out. You think Emerson was phased by the Apparol.
Speaker 1: Everything really started to turn when the Apperol dance party came around the corner.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, if she was as petty as me, she would use it as an excuse for not winning that match. Oh yeah, we had to cut recording the other day because there was a marching band.
Speaker 1: We could hear the vibrations. Music's gotta go. You don't think about.
Speaker 2: Vibration talk abouts. I was, hey, you're gonna give me ship for this. But I was in a high school marching band.
Speaker 1: Really what instrument? Because I was also in the jazz band.
Speaker 2: I did jazz band as well.
Speaker 1: Really, oh god, we admit this.
Speaker 2: I wore a sequin ones.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, do you still have any of the moves I do?
Speaker 2: Well, it's just marching, so it's just walking in step. While I was a percussionist, but the first year I just had to hold the symbols. Oh yeah, yeah, a lot of that, and it was it was that sucked. But then eventually I I was playing the snare drum as a sophomore at Blue Valley North High School and the cheerleaders could not tell me to get out of their space quick enough.
Speaker 1: Could just snare out of here exactly.
Speaker 2: But I wore a big feather. Oh wow, I'll dig one up.
Speaker 1: This is beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, so yeah, the marching man interrupted us the other day, but I mean, nothing could interrupt the tennis action that was happening out on the grounds yesterday. Some drama one of our faves. Felix Alisim retired, retired, that's sad. Only two hours in and he cramped up.
Speaker 1: There was a bit of cramping yesterday.
Speaker 2: It was his time of the month.
Speaker 1: Okay, get this guy, some napper.
Speaker 2: No, it was two hours in and like it was hot yesterday and I think he came in but like he had some kind of illness a couple of weeks ago and maybe that was.
Speaker 1: Watery diary or but Priscilla Han's opponent also had bad cramping one where the one where your leg will shake, like really, she couldn't stand on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they I think she retired from the match at five to three and the decider. Yeah, but Ozzie Priscilla.
Speaker 1: Han, she's through and we'll take it.
Speaker 2: We'll take it.
Speaker 1: Brisbane girl, Priscilla Oh is she?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Han?
Speaker 2: Solo Han?
Speaker 1: Solo? Who's Solo? Han? Who you heard?
Speaker 2: Pig Jess Pigola who we had in on the podcast. We'll get to her interview on a future episode. She won't easily just breeze through. I thought she might feel the emotions, mixed emotions with the win because her parents team, the Buffalo Bills that they own, choked in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Yes, she had a bit of time to get over that she.
Speaker 2: Did, but a time to get over that cramping, as you said, was a big storyline. And we played pickleball with children yesterday, oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, and we dominated.
Speaker 2: We dominated, But I think I was cramping up out.
Speaker 1: There really after what twenty minutes?
Speaker 2: Is the pickleball package going in this episode?
Speaker 1: Hell? Yeah?
Speaker 2: All right, so you guys are in for a treat once you see us out.
Speaker 1: Do you see the Japanese cowboy?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so yeah, we played against a Japanese man and a huge cowboy hat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wasn't huge, though he was tiny.
Speaker 2: He was tiny.
Speaker 1: The hat was the same big spirit. Yeah, they were fun though they had Japanese shirts. They were good talent.
Speaker 2: They were good talent. So stay tuned for that. Probably me being oblivious to who is the most popular player in the women's.
Speaker 1: Draw, But oh my gosh, Alexandra, Yeah, yeah, I love the Filipino. She is up there in Filipino world with Manny Pacquiel. Really yeah, okay, they love her as much as him. Who's the boxer slash politician? Now, have you ever.
Speaker 2: Seen an interview with Cameron Diaz where she says, Philippines. Well, every time I traveled to the Philippines, it's wonderful and I love I've met so many great people there. Here's the parks.
Speaker 1: Yes, So she won the first like six low and the Pilipinos were out, even on the footbridge. They had a huge flag. They didn't even come in. They went crazy for her. And can I tell you this, Her dad has been in the studio. We had a photo together.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: He came in. He was just checking it out and he just wandered in here and I was like hey, hey bro, and he's like hey. And then someone pointed out, pointed it out that it was mister Iala.
Speaker 2: The fans and the push to get in to see Alexander Iyolla was absolutely nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like that's why the crowd was so full yesterday. She's basically every Filipino person in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Is that the tennis so it's been Alexander Iola and then who was the guy at the one point slam? Do you remember his name? The pop star from wherever?
Speaker 1: Oh J Chow J Chow J Chow.
Speaker 2: So those two have been like push.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Asians are pretty much holding this whole tournament up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: She lost to American Alicia Parks, an upcoming player who's had some injury issues. But I'm good to see Alicia through. Even though the Craig Tiley and the powers that be probably won't like that Yalla went out.
Speaker 1: I know they need to put Yola on a bigger court. Yeah yeah, because we went and watched The Demon yesterday and she could have played there.
Speaker 2: She could have played there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, put Demon on.
Speaker 2: Robbery Flavor one thirty or whatever. Yesterday was not full for the Demon. But I maybe that's taking prices and first round and stuff, but I feel like we had a bigger turnout for our one point Slam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we did.
Speaker 2: But Demon got through easily against lucky loser Mackenzie McDonald. Render Connect went out French player Arthur render kannec Uh. The only reason I mentioned is that that is because he had my favorite quote from the one point Slam.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: The when he he had only one serve as a pro and he served as hard as he could and they asked him why he served so hard with only one serve, and he said, they say, go bigger, go home.
Speaker 1: And now I go home beautiful. Now he put that on at he really goes home. Now, he really goes home. He went too.
Speaker 2: Big, He went too big. So he is out. One of the fan favorites and one of my favorites as well. Stan var Rinka is through to.
Speaker 1: The same I was in the whole way just earlier, and I keep giving these players in the whole way. I'm too scared to be like, hey, how are you?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: I just stab him down and I gave Stan a nice smile, did you Yeah, a real beamy smile.
Speaker 2: Did he smile back?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he smiled back, which is nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta smile from a legend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did. I'll put that one in my pocket, Thank you, Stan Vaterinka.
Speaker 2: And weirdly, so I was watching this on TV and the announcer, I don't know who it was, but he put it this way because you know, Stan getting through. It's awesome to see him going through to the second round. And the announcer started talking about, well, he's gonna lose eventually, and it's going to be very sad because it's his farewell tour of the Grand Slams, and so the announcer said, so, whoever is playing him in the next round, might have to shoot Bambi.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I was like, first of all, the visual.
Speaker 2: Bamby doesn't even get shot. It's Bambi's mom, right yeah, yeah, yeah, so it's just a brutal way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Famby's like the young kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know about that analogy exactly.
Speaker 2: The biggest stat for me for the day is that Novak Jancovich now has.
Speaker 1: One hundred wins stats.
Speaker 2: Man Mike Stack corner. But this one is like, I can't claim any personal research.
Speaker 1: I think. I think this is everywhere. I knew that I did, I did. He had his hundredth game. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lizzie, who who still calls a tennis match a game, knew that that's fine. Yeah, I knew that it was. Yeah, his hundredth wins. Yes, at the AO, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Serbians were out yesterday that you have arrived, groups of them chanting love it.
Speaker 3: One hundred wins.
Speaker 1: Is it anything you've done a hundred times?
Speaker 2: Yeah, one, one hundred times, one.
Speaker 1: A hundred times. Oh, I don't know. I don't think so. Maybe hockey. Maybe I played a lot of hockey.
Speaker 2: Okay, in my life, one hundred hockey games.
Speaker 1: It's like when you've played like twenty years of your life, though, and you play like, what fifteen games a season? Maybe just maybe just.
Speaker 2: You Okay. I was going to wait for how long until she flipped the question back on.
Speaker 1: I'm twisting the script sponsored by pipa Hide Sick.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about it. One hundred winds and so many and then I check the stats because they have them on the Words with Friends app on my phone.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're really revealing yourself today. You're going real vulnerable. I was in the Marching band and now I play Words with Friends.
Speaker 3: Sound like a.
Speaker 2: Little little pip squeak? Is that my voice?
Speaker 1: I think kids a pickle ball.
Speaker 2: I think inwards with friends. I've beat my auntie Linda over two hundred times, but her brain has been disintegrating for years.
Speaker 1: She's five years old.
Speaker 2: I think I'm two sixty four to like one hundred and two, so she's still one over one hundred. Yeah, yeah, and we keep it touch that way.
Speaker 3: It's kid.
Speaker 1: That's cute. That's very nice.
Speaker 2: Just going through the men's draw, there's some other Aussies through rinky Hijakata beat Mannorino and Manorino is a French player that I'm always fascinated with. He's very bizarre kind of style of play.
Speaker 1: Heretic erratic.
Speaker 2: His strings are like so far apart, it's just crazy string. Yeah, specification on his racket, it's uh. And even though I've been watching tennis for years, I've still never heard him speak.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but I doesn't want to do he doesn't want to come on the put.
Speaker 2: We can try. Well, he's out of the tournament, Adrian.
Speaker 1: Get him in. That's the kind of talent we need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a lot of kind of straight set matches yesterday. Uhpo Olive is through vander Zanshoalp, which is the name.
Speaker 3: I can pronounce. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Good beat my fellow countryman Nakashima. Even though I claim Ozzy is fellow countryman as well.
Speaker 1: You can claim you got both passports. I'm by by country us.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Jordan Thompson also threw over surround.
Speaker 1: That was a good game. A lot of I like Jordan's shoe and sock combo. Oh yeah, what was it's purple? Okay, it's all purple and he looks like it's a little bit Grimace purple. Oh yeah, Barney balance, Barney Grimace McDonald's guy. Yeah, you know what, Okay, Yeah, that was a great game.
Speaker 2: That was Is Grimace like the other thing?
Speaker 1: He's a burglar?
Speaker 2: No, the Hamburglar is a burglar.
Speaker 1: He's a taste. Bud e roll is just confirmed that Grimace is a taste.
Speaker 2: But that can't be right.
Speaker 1: A purple taste, well.
Speaker 2: Because the the other ones are all something. Mayor mccheese is the Mayor, the Hamburglars burglar. Yeah, Grimace is a big purple blob.
Speaker 1: Well, he's a taste confirmed.
Speaker 2: He learned it here first on.
Speaker 1: That's what people are going to take away from this, but they will. This is the only thing they'll remember. I didn't know that, and that you were in the marching man.
Speaker 2: I was going to try and riff on what Grimace might be, but our producer has to know more than everybody in the room.
Speaker 1: You stunted, Mike's.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding, man. Let's look at the women's draws. Chavon Tech is through. She kind of had some trouble in the first set, but then she found her form.
Speaker 1: My friend is tooch is through Through was a great game.
Speaker 2: Battle as well. I'm still calling it a game match.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, something I need to change. Great game, great match, great match, great battle. I think I'm going to calling them battle with tennis.
Speaker 2: There's games within.
Speaker 1: The match that I'm getting confused.
Speaker 2: No, you're not getting because it makes sense the game. But I just think tennis match like hardcore people.
Speaker 1: Oh, they will pick me up on that. I'm going to get a comment on the YouTube page. It's a match, not a game, you fool.
Speaker 2: So who do you? I forget who she played? Tom Lenovic? Oh, I cannot pronounce who she beat? Star O dubbed to Seva stir up to dub.
Speaker 1: Who cares dubbs?
Speaker 2: So Tom Lanovic, I actually have a story about her. Again, cut for time, But it's when we do promo for the hundred and we interview the players down there. Tom Lanovic had just withdrawn from the tournament with an injury, so this is the day before the tournament starts, but still wanted to come in and do the interview on one hundred with me and Andy Lee. Okay, and she was clearly distraught, clearly had been crying. And then comes and sits down next to me, and then we're like, hey, so do you fold or scrunch your toilet paper?
Speaker 1: And she was like, squshed to dry my eyes. Oh no, Well, she came in the other day to play Champagne pong with me and I was actually terrible at it, and she was telling me I was terrible letter And then I asked her, Oh, what did I ask you? I said, who are you looking forward to playing? And she was like, what kind of question is that?
Speaker 2: It is kind of a weird question.
Speaker 1: It is a weird question. And then she said, WHOA was that too direct? I'm like, it's good. That is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some lossie bluntness. I love it. Yeah, Krolina Mukova is through after a tight second set, but she's still to get out on straight. So we love the Mooch.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 2: We will pa playing our interview with the Mooch on the Friend of the Part a future pod. The only other kind of match that was interesting was Kraichikova versus Schneider. Schneider who's been looking amazing, like her form has been great coming into the tournament. She wears a bandana. You might have seen her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's very senior bracket.
Speaker 2: Still, I have no idea I'm not Can.
Speaker 1: You log in because I've got points?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: I want to get your points?
Speaker 2: All right, I'll log in before I've.
Speaker 1: Got eighty one points?
Speaker 2: Is that good or bad?
Speaker 1: If it's more than you, it's good, I guess.
Speaker 2: But what's the one of the points? If you're out of the.
Speaker 1: I think they still tally up.
Speaker 2: The points, so it's like bragging rights.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think if like a wild card beats a seated player, you get more points maybe yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, and then also a good match in the women's Donna Vecik versus Emira and Dreva greg two set, Yeah, and then in the third unfortunately the bagel a big bagel for Donna be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So let's get into some headline call there it is headline calls. We live for the sting.
Speaker 1: It's so short. Yeah, I feel like I'm waiting for it to go longer every time. Okay, we're in.
Speaker 2: It's the one button that ace Man has to hit during the whole app and he's still foxing.
Speaker 1: We love you, Love ice Man.
Speaker 2: Also look out and listen out for Aceman's commentary, did that make the cup for the pick a ball? Okay? All right, so you'll hear Aceman's sultry tones, and as we said, this is true, he learned English from watching the Borat movie. So when you hit a good shot, he says, very nice. Novak Djokovic in his post match interview a lot of body talk.
Speaker 1: Got a body talk.
Speaker 2: I think we have the vision, all right. So this is probably my favorite tennis match of all time. Really. This was the twenty twelve Australian Open that went just shy of six hours with RAF and a doll. He rips his shirt off.
Speaker 1: Fat everyone's coming.
Speaker 2: I wish I could bring back that body, to be honest, you.
Speaker 1: Know, And so they play that for him after he's just won this match. That's an interesting decision.
Speaker 2: To do that, all right.
Speaker 1: So do you think he asked for that? Do you think he said to them, like, Hey, if I win tonight, can you play that package of me from twenty twelve where I take my shirt?
Speaker 2: I'd be I don't know, I'd be willing to bet he's still just as ripped and yeah, slight as he slights.
Speaker 3: Maybe not the right word.
Speaker 2: Well, he's like slender, he is slender, Yeah, yeah, But there's a bit of awkward back and forth when.
Speaker 1: You know, the interview talking about his body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you wouldn't do that with a female, you would not.
Speaker 1: Wow, you look pretty good back then. What happened?
Speaker 2: I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm speaking about my body, so I get excited that what he says Tennis though, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we have some another story just Medvedev hitting his head. Vedev just like opening the boot of one of the key vehicles that's transporting the players around, and it's just have you seen this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It's not real though, is he he's just pretending?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just pretending. He just head butts the boot of a car.
Speaker 1: Basically, okay, what oh yeah, so.
Speaker 2: It's opening, the trunk is opening, and then he just head I think actually they exclusively got this when he walked out of his date with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, straight to go, like I need to head butt a cap. That's how I make guys feel after a date.
Speaker 2: After a game.
Speaker 3: It's called.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna start calling my dates games. Thanks to the game mind games actually.
Speaker 2: Also get on Rayah if you are on there to check out.
Speaker 3: Account.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would love I would love if we could play that message that some random sent you on there? Can we play it?
Speaker 1: I don't know where my phone is.
Speaker 2: So Lizzie who set up a Riot account.
Speaker 1: For Yeah, and I got one message from a random.
Speaker 2: For pod over Arena and.
Speaker 1: I haven't really had many hits. No, yeah, well in this game.
Speaker 2: Wiobridge plugging tipping points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then this guy this is amazing.
Speaker 5: Hey Lizzie, thank you for matching me on the stocks again. I love your photos. That's call you from Risbane. I was just there last week for a quick work trip. And then yeah, are you a dentist? I had a day canons? And how are you enjoying the hips to Melbourne culture Albanians in general? I would love to hang out if you. Hope you're having a fantastic start. And yeah we are a cat family, but more interested to hear about your greyhound dogs still grambling and see you soon?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: So I don't know how well you can hear that. Did that come through?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was?
Speaker 1: That's really got me going hot under the collar.
Speaker 2: Why is he whispering?
Speaker 3: And why is it?
Speaker 2: And then when he goes and then are you a dentist? Says I could do an.
Speaker 1: I was just in Brisbane recently. He's not a fan of.
Speaker 2: It's good Oh, I'm not going to murder you, but I might. I might just lark outside your house a little bit. I heard you. I heard your dad likes to hang out in the bushes hot all right, okay, well that was.
Speaker 3: Checking in.
Speaker 1: Account the saddest segment.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's do. I think we got to look at Riley Opelca's news sponsor Cease. Have you heard of.
Speaker 1: Cease, Cease and Desist?
Speaker 2: Maybe you should, because have you looked at what Cease is putting out there? Again, I'm no fashionista. We should probably get Liza West back on.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we want her opinion on this for sure.
Speaker 2: I think she leaves this week, so I'm gonna we should get her back on to do like the best wrap up and the worst of the AO twenty six. This is Riley Opelka again, muted colors. This down the bottom. I can see the shorts. Is that sweat?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's sweat.
Speaker 2: I thought it might be the weird design.
Speaker 1: Well, no, you can see it over here. That's sweat. Yeah, and crutch sweat yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, ro I thought it was some weird design where they wanted to make it look like he's pissed his pants.
Speaker 1: This is this is giving a little bit scout Master.
Speaker 2: Scout master vibes, yeah, or like works at a public park. Ye, public park. But let's check the prices on some of this.
Speaker 1: This is crazy, very expensive.
Speaker 2: What hops out at you? The tennis shorts seven hundred.
Speaker 1: The towel for four hundred and ten? Is that a full length tower or is that just a hand towel?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: What makes this towel special? What does it do? I don't know. It's just got at the top it says tennis dot dot dot kit four hundred dollars dollar towel.
Speaker 2: Hey, Lissey, I've penned this tower for four hundred others I don't know.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, wait, I've seen a detail on the short. Have you virgin wool?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? It was a virgin cheap?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Well, from a virgin.
Speaker 1: Lamb lamb will that's cashmere, isn't it? Lamb? No idea?
Speaker 2: But I can't get that. A cap for eighty four hundred eighty five bucks around.
Speaker 1: Spelt short nine O five the tennis polo Ellen, which I assume is Ellen DeGeneres.
Speaker 2: Why it's mean to you backstage?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, it's giving Ellen, It is giving a little bit of Ellen. I guess the collar, Yeah, i'd and thirty five dollars. Maybe only people like Ellen can afford it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe there's tennis spell short hot for nine hundred five dollars. Lizzie, would you like to monolause from you? I I'm by, I'm by, Lizzie. We hit the pickleball courts.
Speaker 1: My gosh. We went to Top Court yesterday and it's the time of our lives.
Speaker 2: It's awesome up there. It really is.
Speaker 1: If you want to break from the crowds too, it wasn't that packed up there. It's like a pickleball court. There was a DJH yeah, a lot of iced tea, shake Shack and peach Melbourne. I haven't had one of them yet.
Speaker 2: No, All right, well this is it. This is us seeking redemption after the one point slam on the pickleball court.
Speaker 1: Yeah you want some of this.
Speaker 2: We're sick of people talking trash about us.
Speaker 1: It's time to get some respect back. Like after our abject failure in the one point slam, we hit the pickleball court to get revenge, this time on children.
Speaker 2: Let's take on the best of the best.
Speaker 1: Let's do this.
Speaker 6: A message to all the kids out there, you are nothing compared to us, Mike. After some truly sublime play, reputations were restored, petty grievances were.
Speaker 2: Addressed, but most importantly, children's dreams were shattered. Just bullying kids all day. It was surprisingly cathartic.
Speaker 1: No, okay, we are so back. Champagne shower anyone pingleball champions twist the scraps that time? Yes, what a time? I meant it was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get up there, hit the pickleball court at the top court at the Australian Open.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And of course, as always, email us at Podlabor at tennis dot com dot au. You saw us with a bottle of piper Heid six celebrating the crushing defeatly implemented on those kids our interview for today. It's unfortunate that we had.
Speaker 1: To play this so early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because he was awesome.
Speaker 1: Felix j Alia, what a name.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Pod Labor arena, part of the interview sessions. We have tennis superstar Felix. Oh, thank you thanks for having me. I just saw this Pod Labor Yeah, I like it. That's good. Uh, Felix, I wanted to ask you, how are you feeling. Do you have any goals for the.
Speaker 1: I can answer, we don't want to know.
Speaker 3: We talk, we want to win, we want to man.
Speaker 2: So good to have you back at the Australian Open. It's good to be back, yank you. You've been here a bunch. What do you get amongst in Melbourne? Like, what are you up to? Good food? Yeah, so I need to give them a shout out. So I've been going for the last few years to this restaurant called Belota. It's two sisters that run a restaurant Nicky Nikitchen, South Melbourne. So my sister discovered the restaurant a couple of years back, and I've been going every year. And every year they tell me like, we're not sure if you're gonna come back, and then we see your name on the reservation and we're like, your back.
Speaker 3: So it's nice. It feels like like I'm meeting at home, you know, like, yeah, it's very nice food and they take care of their customers and and I love going back. So whether it's there or somewhere else, you know, nice coffee. Because home is Monaco. Now. I was born and raised in Montreal. I moved to Monaco when I was nineteen. Yeah, for my career and I've been there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My one time in Montreal I had horse on the menu.
Speaker 3: Whoa, it's pretty good. How long ago with that? Because I don't I don't see years ago.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's something finn horse in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: Kangaroo here one yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I was like a junior here and it was my first time and I guess I have to try it.
Speaker 1: But since then haven't you didn't like it?
Speaker 3: What do you think for Australians? Is it weird?
Speaker 1: You can fly to the supermarket but I don't really, I don't really eat.
Speaker 2: Know, Australia is the only country that eats both animals that are on the national and what's.
Speaker 3: What I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird, little bit, It is a little bit.
Speaker 2: When I was I was actually on a date in Montreal with a vegan and I ordered horse.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Well there's no second. Well, if you're in Melbourne getting amongst the food, have you tried the fine delicacies of Hungry Jacks?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I have not. I've seen the commercials, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: North American equivalent is Burger King.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess Burger King, but I mean Canadians tim horns. Tim Horns is Timmy Horton. Yeah, you call it Timmy Horns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I called it when I did.
Speaker 3: Call t nice back in Canada.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're just you know, some random questions to throw at you, like any superstitions out on the court or in general.
Speaker 3: Not much actually no, but just not get a haircut the tournament. Yeah. I did that once. I did that one. It didn't work really, Yeah, I lost bad after the player gave.
Speaker 2: Himself a haircut mid match the other day. Say that, Yeah, his scissors in the bag.
Speaker 3: I know Andy Murray one time cut his hair in the middle of the match because it's too long or something. But I bet he, yeh wouldn't do that. I bet he wishes like, I'm not going to get a haircut now before the start, and it's going to stay like this. It's going to get longer as the term. But yeah, outside of that, No, I'm not eating the same food every day. I'm not. I just have a routine. You need to get ready at a certain time, and you need to make sure that all your stuff is ready before you go out on the court, and you're ready to go. Do you listen to music not the same song every time? I don't listen to I don't like lyrics, so I'll put like a Sometimes it will be like movie song, you know, to kind of get into yeah. Or it might just be like a certain piano track that like but a certain rhythm that gets you into the mood of like competition. But I don't like to listen to music with lyrics before it gets stuck in your head and you're just change over.
Speaker 2: What you listen to to get pumped up for this interview.
Speaker 1: I feel like, if you didn't play tennis, what would you do for a living?
Speaker 3: Oh? I love what I do, so it's tough, you know, when you find out one passion, like just like you have that tunnel vision. But I do ask myself sometimes what would I have done? I mean I look at my sister or other people around me, you know, in their twenties finding their way, and I don't know. I have interest in many things, but I don't know if I would have pushed it to a career. But like architecture, for example, I find it, you know, fascinating to start from scratch. And I had a teacher in school that had a major architecture and we talked a little bit and it was fascinating to start like from zero and to imagine something out of your mind and to imagine like the whether it's like you know, commercial buildings or or house. But like for me to build a house one day, it would be a dream, but I would need to get into that. But could have been a career. I don't know. Yeah, we'll never find out. We'll never find out because I'll stick tonis well.
Speaker 2: Because we're asking people random questions today. Uh, and I want to ask you this because I want to tell you the answer we got from gregor.
Speaker 3: Tom Okay in the hallway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the most random thing you found in your tennis bag?
Speaker 3: My mind is going to food right away.
Speaker 2: Oh really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like that's going to be a pretty common answer, common for tennis players because we I mean, I don't know if we're monkeys on the court of everybody's you know, like it's the thing that since we're kid is like, well, everybody's having a banana and then you just find an old one.
Speaker 2: I thought it, Yeah, you forget about it. Yeah, apartments in the bag exactly. Man, this has been so awesome. We've been wrapping up the interviews by doing not a million dollar one point slam.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I sucked at that though.
Speaker 2: Yeah those you went out.
Speaker 3: I went out one return. Oh, really sailed it long and it was over.
Speaker 2: Now who are you up against?
Speaker 3: And amateur? He won the car?
Speaker 2: All right, but that.
Speaker 3: From Brisbane. He's great, good guy. Yeah, happy for him.
Speaker 2: I'm glad he got the car.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So well you can redeem yourself on the tiny ping pong?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, who's gonna challenge me?
Speaker 2: I think it's Lizzy alright to decide who serves you? Guys will do paper rock scissors on four? And also there is steaks. There is steaks. You've played sting pong or pain pong before?
Speaker 3: Oh where you get to shoot the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're losing player, okay, yeah, don't hold back. People have been holding back on lazy yeah, whereas I've been. I've got well, yeah, so you guys, uh, paper rock scissors, okay, for see who's serving paper roused?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, who's gotta who's got it right? We've got it all wrong?
Speaker 2: I know, I think what did you say?
Speaker 3: Rock paper paper scissors?
Speaker 2: I think that's that's the North American.
Speaker 3: American in the north of the of the of the globe. You're you're upside down.
Speaker 2: Over here, Northern Hemisphere, all right, and go rock paper scissor shoot?
Speaker 3: All right, rock paper scissor shoot a rock shoot.
Speaker 1: This is crazy, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's rock.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Okay, who's gonna crack first? Rock paper scissor shoot?
Speaker 2: All right? I stuck to it, all right. So this is it, This is live. Welcome to another round of the one point ping pong slam Felix one the paper rockisers elected to serve. Take it away faa off the net chord. That's all right, and no apology. EREI there. I love that, and just go for it, dude, Come on a vibration.