Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the Sitdown. I'm Matt Prolopa, writer for oz open dot com and.
Speaker 2: I'm viv Christine, managing editor of us Join In Tennis Magazine. And Matt, why are we sitting down this week with Donna Kelso?
Speaker 1: Well, if we bumped into Donna at the United Cup draw. So she's a WTA supervisor and she was home for a rare week a miiddle of her global travels in Sydney, and we just asked her as she'd like to appear on the podcast because she's been in tennis for a very very long time and we figured she'd have a great story to tell. And so yeah, she joined us on the episode and it was really interesting.
Speaker 2: Donna Calso, thank you for joining us today on the sit Down. It's great to have you with us. We catch you, i think in a rare week at home in Sydney.
Speaker 3: You're absolutely correct, Thank you so much for the invitation. Then, yes, happy to share some of my journey with you.
Speaker 2: Speaking of that journey, your love of tennis started in a really interesting way. I understand you want to racket in a competition. Tell us a little bit more about your start in tennis what you loved about at the mist that's right, as.
Speaker 3: You correctly alluded to, I want a coloring in competition age eight, first prize was a tennis racket, so probably better have some tennis lessons to put that racket to good use. And it was fun. It was a good way to meet people. Obviously to be a little bit active, so into the local tennis school where I grew up in the Saint George area in Sydney, and it was a fun way to spend time on the weekends after school, et cetera. And that's how my love of tennis began.
Speaker 2: Basically, it's the start of an amazing journey in tennis really, which has taken you into a career in umpiring and officiating.
Speaker 3: What inspired you to take that path? I think growing up playing local junior branch comp or local tournaments, the culture was that in addition to playing, you would also umpire each other's matches. Similarly, the tennis school I went to, which was owned by Bill Gilmore who was a very highly prominent referee. When it rained, instead of tennis lessons being canceled, we would go and sit in the shed and we would learn the rules of tennis, and something that I think was ingrained in us from a very young age that we would learn about the sport, learn about the history and obviously the rules of the competition. So I found it quite fascinating. And Bill Gilmore, being the referee for the New South Welles Open, which was then held at White City, would recruit a lot of the ball persons and a lot of the line umpires from his tennis schools. So I tried out age fourteen as a ball girl, was highly unsuccessful, but my best friend was it was probably a little bit too young to go down the officiating pathway. So two years later, age sixteen, went to a three hour long run on Pire training session at White City and the following week we were calling lines of the New South I was Open, so that who Yeah, it was a fun way to spend a couple of weeks during the school holiday. So still it's still in year eleven back then, and we had a really good social network, a really good social group. We would drive into White City together.
Speaker 4: And we would leave early so we would get a parking spot and we would be able to get on the first match because we got paid per match in those days, so the earlier you got there, you could maybe squeeze four matches in a day instead of three, and at seven dollars per match.
Speaker 3: From memory, that made a bit of a difference. Was that quite daunting?
Speaker 2: I mean you were very young, and it's quite a you know, that comes with a lot of responsibility that job.
Speaker 3: It does absolutely. I think you'll find though that many of us did start at that age, some who continued on to have quite lengthy tennis officiating careers. Coincidentally, Wayne McEwen, straight open referee, was at that very same line umpire training session back in nineteen eighty two and we actually used to play tennis against each other even before then. So yeah, so fairly productive, you know, through our line up training session. And some of those other officials went on to travel internationally to become you know, chair umpires, but obviously some stopped after they've finished high school or when they finished UNI or found full time jobs. But it was fun, it was social, I mean, obviously a great way to see tennis up close and personal, and yeah, we developed a really cool group. Yes, I think starting at a younger age, you maybe don't overthink a lot of things that you might if you were a little bit older, so we probably didn't recognize the enormity of it at the time. But there were also many of us who did start at that very very young age sixteen seventeen eighteen, as did a lot of other countries. You know, you'll find that they're officials started at a younger age, but sometimes it just takes a little longer to go along the pathway to become more prominent.
Speaker 1: Did you ever get hit by a ball as a lines person, like down the centeration?
Speaker 3: Yes, I did. I always think that.
Speaker 1: The person that's doing the center tee when someone's serving, I just think, God, duck for cover.
Speaker 3: I hated doing seed to serve at the Sydney Indoor, the Entertainment Center calling center serve, and I just despise it so much because I was in fear of a ball coming and hitting me that I think I sort of ducked, closed my eyes and the ball bounced off my forehead after I don't know, I don't even know if I called it in or out, but anyway, that's kind of saved myself more and anything.
Speaker 2: So alongside all the skills that you need for a line officiating career reflexes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, some gymnastics, so you obviously graduated away from lines and ended up becoming a gold Badge umpire in the chair in the nineteen nineties, and you told us that there was some incredible milestones in your career. You officiated the Atlanta Olympics gold medal match between Davenport and Sanchez for Carrio. You did five Australian Open finals. I remember the US Open finally ninety seven between Hingus and Venus two teenagers. That was kind of my era growing up. I remember watching that on TV. And also Monica sellers come back in ninety ninety five in Canada. That must have been particularly special given what had happened to her.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and you know, yes, the Grand Slam finals are amazing. You know, they were all very different, but I think for me, Monica Sellis's comeback match after what happened to her was just so meaningful. And to begin the privilege of umpiring the match when she was to walk back onto a tennis court for the first time after the horrific incident that she suffered, Nobody knew how she was going to play, how she was going to react. Obviously, the crowd was just in an there was just this raw when she came down the stets onto the court and you could feel the goosebumps and it was probably just one of the most special moments I can remember having the privilege of being part of on a tennis court. She subsequently won that match, won the next match, and actually went on to win the tournament I can remember correctly. She beat Anka Huber in the final, So she beat some really high profile players, highly ranked players at the time. So first tournament back and I umpired the final as well that week, And yeah, I think, you know, on a personal level, on a human level, that's the match that sticks out for me more so than anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a nice full circle to do her first match in her last match at the tournament as well.
Speaker 3: That's pretty special here, absolutely very very special.
Speaker 1: And five AO finals that's amazing. Obviously we're very interested in that because we're an AO podcast. So I think was your last one Hingus and Martinez in ninety eight.
Speaker 3: It was that was my last ever match in the chair as an umpire.
Speaker 1: Wow, And another also incredible story to watch Hingus's rise. I mean, she had such a fantastic time here at the AO. Did you do her ninety seven final as well.
Speaker 3: Oh you're testing me now, I think I did. Okay, I think I did. I did out of the I did five out of six years.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: At that stage I also unpied Martina Hingis's first ever professional match, which is in Zurich when she was fourteen, and I can remember then there were so many players, coaches, tournament staff, tour stuff. Everybody wanted to come out and see, you know, what this female was all about. And obviously she went on she won that match and impaired a lot of her matches, a lot of her finals throughout her career.
Speaker 1: So at the time that was pretty significant that you were a gold bad Jumphie, because you were only one of two women who were at that level at that time, and you've told us that kind of maybe you didn't recognize the significance of that at the time, but now that you think about it, that actually was a really big deal.
Speaker 3: It was, and I think coming into officiating, obviously there were a handful of high profile female role models in tennis officiating, but there were certainly a lot more males compared to females. It was tough and especially breaking through to umpiring men's matches. As a female, there were really really not that many of us, so it was it was tough to break through. We found it very different being females ampiring men's matches compared to women's matches, and sometimes, funnily enough, some of the tougher male players, maybe sort of lower ranked or challenger players responded differently and may I say even possibly better behaved when there were females in the chair, which is always quite interesting. And when I look back now, I'm very very proud of that achievement, you know, hopefully forging the way for female officials and giving upcoming female officials somebody to look up to. One of my passions now is you know, mentoring and helping other officials, because I know when I came through, I had some outstanding women. Georgina Clark, who was a former longtime WTA supervisor and a cheir umpire prior to that. Also Pat Walker, who was from New South Wales who was originally a chair umpire and then she was the chief umpire at the time when we all started officiating. She was very much an advocate of giving young officials an opportunity and giving other females opportunities. In one of my roles at WTA tournaments, I have the wonderful job of fulfilling ticket requests. So about twenty years ago, I was doing the ticketing for Indian Wells and we had a request from our then COO for some of his family, which included a young twelve year old girl by the name of Madison Shoemaker. Anyway, so I met Scott and Mary and the parents and Maddie and her brother, and apparently after we'd been chatting for a bit, she turned around to a paris and said, I want to be like her. So she remembers my walkie talkie and my credentially anything. Anyway, she went on to play collegiate tennis, went on to become an intern with the WTA and has held a number of roles within the WTA rankings, coordinator, tour operations. Last weekend she passed her Silver Badge referee school and is now a WTA supervisor. Oh wow, that's probably my most prolific story, especially somebody so young to see a female role model in the sport that she loves. And she took her twenty years, but she's achieved her dream. And I could not be more proud. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Congratulations. Is it that diversity or is there something else that makes it so special that has kept you in the role for so long, because clearly it has been really rewarding.
Speaker 3: It's the opportunity I think for me now, particularly the longer I'm involved, to feel as though you're helping to make a difference. Because all of the players who are competing now on the WTA Tour I've known since they started their journey on the tour, and when players first come to play a tur or level, I think one of the biggest responsibilities we have is educating them on the rules, on the procedures, you know, feeling that it's it's a safe space to walk into the w TA office, that we're not scary. Yes, sometimes we have to make tough decisions or decisions that individual players don't necessarily agree with, particularly around scheduling. However, we need to fulfill a lot of different requests, particularly in scheduling between the players, the tournament's international broadcast, domestic broadcast, et cetera. And also look to to schedule with parity and looking at the overall tournament. Yeah, but again, forming, you know, meaningful working relationships with players, coaches and their their players, support teams and feeling like you're you're helping, you share their you witness their their joys and their celebrations. You're there also at times when you know they have disappointments, whether it's through loss or injury, but just to be able to feel like we're helping. Similarly with the tournaments, because we service the tournaments as well, part of our responsibility is to share best practices. If we see something that a tournament does really well that we think another tournament you could learn from, then we're coming forth with suggestions. We're you know, we're writing lengthy reports at the end of the tournament with player feedback, stuff feedback. So, yeah, every day is different, every week is different. We start off with a template that we follow, so we know, you know, every tournament has a certain daw size, a certain schedule, timings that you adhere to, whether it be the signings, the stuff out of play, start of different sessions, and then you know culminates with the finals at the end of the week. So you sort of go on this bit of a rollercoaster journey, particularly at the Slams too, being there you know, three three and a half weeks. For me, there's that incredible buzz and excitement day one, main draw of a Grand Slam that it never gets old. But I also still love the travel, going to new places. Oftentimes we'll go back to the same places year after year after year, which is something that for many tournaments they love having the continuity of the same supervisor. But also if I'm going back to the same tournament, I know who to go to to get things done. I know who's responsible for you know, the locker rooms, the transport, the accreditation, et cetera. Who to go to with a specific issue, and you know, we almost pick come part of the tournament team for that week. Do you have.
Speaker 2: Favorite places to travel or favorite tournaments?
Speaker 3: I certainly do. My favorite place is to travel Paris and New York, great cities. Don't ask me to choose between the two because that's almost impossible. In terms of favorite tournaments and destinations as well on the tour. Do you buy an Indian Wells? Two of my favorite spots Indian Wells. If you've ever been there, you know the desert a couple of hours from La surrounded by snow capped mountains and palm trees, and there's just this feeling of serenity out there, and I think that transcends into the tournament itself. D Youbai just I love the city. I love the yeah, phenomenal level of service. Anywhere you go the hotel is on site, so no transport needed to get to work, just walk past the duck pond in the morning. So I mean every tournament. I went back to Rome this year for the first time in twenty one years, so it was great to see how that had hadn't changed in some aspects and some areas that had not changed at all. So yeah, I love the variety. And for me also there's that finite start and finish of a tournament, so when you do conclude the event, it's like, you know, hopefully, job well done, move on to the next one. Although in saying that, I'm already in preparation mode. I'm currently working on Brisbane, AO, Dubai and Indian Worlds for next year.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: And then in January, well next month I'll start working. I'm going back to Berlin for the first time in more than twenty years, so excited to go there. Already started some discussions around Roland Garros. Yeah, so it's continuous, amazing advice.
Speaker 2: Now you are famous for your shoe collection. Can we talk about your shoes please?
Speaker 3: Of course you can. There's something that started quite a while bag. I'm one of these people you know, either post, you know, post something fun, post something nice, or don't post anything at all. And I do have a love of shoes, so I would often take a photo of my shoes after i'd unpacked them lined up in the hotel room. And for example, these are the successful shoes that have been, you know, chosen for the twenty twenty five Australian Open or something silly like that. So then that sort of take it off and I'll get to tournaments sometimes and friends will say to me, where's your shoe photo? I haven't seen your shoe photo online yet. Or I've seen other friends, often male, who might post a photo of their you know, three pairs of shoes that they're looking to the tournament when I've got about twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I am trying to be a bit more cognizant of what I'm packing and you know, trying to scale down a little bit, but it doesn't always happen. I like being if I'm at a tournament for two weeks or three weeks. I like to have options learnly. Yeah, plast drive cleaning is very expensive.
Speaker 2: So also your your shoe fans would be very disappointed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't want to be seeing the shoe collection whittling down.
Speaker 3: I I'm one of those fans. It's funny. And again, you know, we sometimes you just need to have a sense of humor about different things. And you know, we're not saving lives, but we we sometimes are doing things that are very very serious, and we certainly take our role serious. But if you can have a little bit of fun along the way, then you know, then why not.
Speaker 1: What makes the cut on finals day? Like is there is there the shoe that's like the special occasion shoe or the big match shoe. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It depends what surface.
Speaker 1: Oh, of course, yes.
Speaker 3: So for example, when working at Wimbledon as a Grand Slam supervisor, I would always show my shoes to the head groundsmen to make sure that they were suitable, and that became a little bit of a joke between us as well, like are these you know, are these shoes okay to wear on center court? And because you obviously you don't want to use to Letto's and put divots in the court if you have to run on the court. But yeah, there's there's qualifying shoes as main draw shoes, as final stay shoes. There you know, black tie gala shoes, not where we go to many of them. But yeah, people are noticing that there's a lot more ballet flats and sneakers coming into the collection compared two years ago. But that's you know, that's the fashion though, isn't it so exactly.
Speaker 1: You said in terms of what you do day to day, sometimes you get to watch a bit of tennis. We've actually seen you on TV a courtside it some incredible matches when you do get that little bit of time to watch tennis, And because you've been in the sport for so long, you must have seen some incredible matches and moments and highlights. And I just we're just wondering what have stuck with you?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, if I had to think when Pat Rafter won his first US Open, oh yeah, which was again nineteen ninety seven, I was able to watch that as a spectator because I knew that I had, you know, I'd unpied the Ladies final which is before that, I've been to a couple of Davis Cup ties where I've had no involvement working and been able to watch and not. I wouldn't say, you know, I don't overly support because we're just in the habit of not clapping and not showing emotion.
Speaker 1: But yeah, similar, yes, I.
Speaker 3: Would say I'm clapping on the inside, so you know, but it's very very rare that you get an opportunity to watch and through the eyes of a spectator.
Speaker 1: We remember pats yours open wing. Well, I remember that even being late for school, Mum, let us stay until the ended clinch match point. Then it's like right in the car I got to go to school that Yeah, we were allowed to watch that. It was amazing, fantastic.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been an incredible career that you have constructed, Donna. You must be well, you should be so so proud of everything that you've achieved in tennis. And I imagine it's one that you would recommend to other people.
Speaker 3: I would certainly recommend a career in tennis, whether it's you know, as an official, as a supervisor, or in any other aspect. And I think what we've see too is that there are so many more and varied roles in working in tennis, you know, than there were if you even if you go back, you know, ten twenty years, there are so many new roles for anybody who loves the sport and particularly who loves to travel and meet people. And yeah, highly highly recommended.
Speaker 2: Well, lots of great takeaways from that interview. One of them for me is I will never feel guilty about overpacking again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need to take it from the best in the business. And yeah, I think it's an outfit for every occasion. I like Donna's advice.
Speaker 2: You can never have too many pairs of shoes. But also, Donna has featured in so many memorable moments for the sport, especially in recent women's tennis history. So wasn't it amazing to hear some of her stories of those experiences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so great that she's been a great role model and inspiration to people. But one thing I loved hearing was that just it felt fitting that her final match in the chair as a gold bad jumpire was at her home Grand Slam, in a Grand Slam final. It's kind of like the pinnacle of umpiring, So that was lovely.
Speaker 2: It is the pinnacle of umpiring, and I guess particularly special because I think many Australians have been inspired by Donna's path and I think many women as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Well, we'll be back again next week with another episode of The Sea Down, but in the meantime, you can listen to John and Brie and the team this Thursday on the Aoshow Weekly.
Speaker 2: Details for how to contact us are in the show notes, and please subscribe, rate and review. See you next week, Matt, See you en vib