Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, it is Friday, which means it is time to get my little team, well actually not the whole team. It's just just go to each GM becksay ed together and we're going to be celebrating you once again, our incredible She's on the Money community today, miss Grid.
Speaker 5: She is going to be sharing our favorite money wins.
Speaker 4: Beck has got a sneaky broke tip for us, and she's got a few hot ones from the community.
Speaker 2: As well.
Speaker 4: We're going to be answering a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about calculating super for retirement. And we're going to be unpacking something you slid into our DMS about, which is about subletting in a sharehouse, which I think could get a little bit spicy really quickly, My loves, how have your weeks been?
Speaker 2: Oh you are do you want to go see you?
Speaker 6: My week?
Speaker 5: My week?
Speaker 2: My week has been interesting, It's been honestly, I haven't done much this week, and for reasons. You're going to find out why soon. But I feel good. I feel good the weeks. I'm ready and I'm ready to have a good sleep.
Speaker 4: I feel that in my bones. Yeah, I love a good sleep. Recently I bought new pillows. This is a very roundabout story about how I bought the wrong ones. I did not realize how much the wrong pillow could ruin my night. Oh no, I'm a tummy sleeper. So like the pillow was just too lofty, just too tall. So this is a way I couldn't get comfortable no matter how many times I punched the pillow, made it flat or like flippied it. No, nothing was working and also I feel like it was eternally warm, like there was no cold side of the pillow. So now I have a flat pillow again and everything has been restored.
Speaker 5: Thank you for caring. It was legit though, what a money loss.
Speaker 4: I bought this expensive lofty pillow, marched my sorry but back down to km up and was like, where's the trashiest pillow? Because that's going to make me the happiest in anyway. That's how good my week has been, lovely. Thank you for hearing me.
Speaker 5: Of course, just where are we at? What's your week?
Speaker 4: Cloth?
Speaker 6: I had a really good day on Sunday because it was my birthday and my weeks.
Speaker 2: I really well.
Speaker 6: All of my friends surprised me. I never organized things because I'm scared people won't come. Because I for a party when I was little, ones and two people turned up, and so like, you know what, it could have been my fault. Maybe I forgot the invitations.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but oh my god, no, that is such a thing.
Speaker 5: Probably was me, It was me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it possibly.
Speaker 6: Absolutely not no, but anyway, so they all surprised me. It was the most wholesome thing ever. They've also got me a cake an ice cream cake, which is my preferred kind of cake.
Speaker 5: Did you know?
Speaker 6: Well no, normally I get the pink white, the traditional traditional, but they got me a Cold Rock ice cream cake made in my exact cold Rock order.
Speaker 5: Because how did they know that?
Speaker 2: Well, because it's.
Speaker 6: One of my favorite places and one of my friends and I go all the time because we live really close together and not too far from a Cold Rock, so they knew it by heart had a cake made in my exact Cold Rock It was the best thing ever.
Speaker 5: That is really how cool is that?
Speaker 6: So if you have a friend that likes ice cream, that is like, it was the best thing I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: What's your Cold Rock orders?
Speaker 5: Just whipping out of pair?
Speaker 4: It's not original. If you copy her friends when she's already had it would.
Speaker 2: Always be a great present.
Speaker 6: If anyone does want a good recommendation, you get cake batter, ice cream and Ferrera ice cream mixed together with cookie dough and double mini.
Speaker 5: Marshmallows double minie marshmallow and they mix.
Speaker 2: It all together and it's a delicious sweet treat.
Speaker 6: So they go for anyone like that written it down, bring you one next week and you can.
Speaker 5: That's works so cute. Not how this works, How this works?
Speaker 2: Just correct?
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Should we move along?
Speaker 5: We should along?
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for I had a great day. I feel very like it's so nice.
Speaker 2: You are loved.
Speaker 4: You are definitely loved. All right, let's jump into it, Jessica. Yes, it's back on your side of the table. I want to know what's been going on in our community. What are your favorite money wins that have been shared this week?
Speaker 6: I have a money win from Cayenne, who said I received a job offer completely out of the blue. That is a huge step in my career for me, and it came with a nice little pay rights beautiful And I just love the idea of someone just plodding around about their day and then some one being like, you, ma'am, deserve a job.
Speaker 2: I love the times lovely.
Speaker 6: Next, I have a money win from Sharan, who said, I realized that my local coals had incorrectly priced a product as per the label, and it was actually more expensive than it was meant to be. I brought this to the cashier's attention, and after she cited it, we were given the product for free. Oh, which is apparently what I expected. That's apparently their policy if it's wrong, they get it for free.
Speaker 2: How come is that?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 6: That one away for later, because okay, I've definitely seen things price strong and I've just got.
Speaker 4: Me just going to coals and checking for the wrong prices so I can get stuff for free.
Speaker 2: How yes, that's wrong, about to be one thing in the whole store.
Speaker 5: Next.
Speaker 6: I have a money lost from Melinda, but it is in good fun. She said, I broke up with my partner and he wants one hundred k Togo money win. I'll no longer have an extra child in a house. And then she put a little asterisk and she said not an actual child, just him, yes, baby, and hundreds of people liked the comment. So Melinda, I'm sorry that he's being what sounds.
Speaker 2: Like a bit of her. Yes.
Speaker 6: I was going to say another word, and I was like, no parent now yeah, well not anymore. She was single parenting. Now she's free.
Speaker 5: Oh genius, So love this for her.
Speaker 2: Get a girl.
Speaker 6: I have a money win from Alyssa, who said I got five dollar Peter Alexander Pj's from the outlet center.
Speaker 2: We all got multiple five dollars. I can never.
Speaker 6: Purchase these normally as I can't justify that much on pjs, but for five bucks, I couldn't resist. We love Peter, Alexander PJ in this team, so yeah we do. We literally said the other day we were near the outlet and we went.
Speaker 4: Should go, and then we didnt. Jess and I don't just have one. We have multiple pairs of matching the jamans.
Speaker 2: That's very very cute. Yeah, we'd love.
Speaker 5: At them for you next time. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 5: Do you want to join in?
Speaker 2: I sleep in the nude, but I'm going to try it.
Speaker 5: You don't have to sleep in pajamas.
Speaker 2: They're like you just wear. They're like wear, but for your for lounging. I see all lounging where louchwear.
Speaker 5: Watching f Boy Island. Yeah, you're wearing your pajamas.
Speaker 2: I do need something for fo Island exactly. The train I'm going to do exactly.
Speaker 6: They did a Macas collabor recentlyjamas.
Speaker 5: That's when I can't get around.
Speaker 4: Also, Barbie O, the Barbie one can get around the mac is one.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I want Donalds. No, nothing was that cute.
Speaker 2: There was nothing with the nuggets on it either, which I was training.
Speaker 5: That's literally the only good thing about McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wasted opportunities literally.
Speaker 6: And lastly, I have a money in from Rihannon who said I got a free bike off marketplace to ride with my son and partner. It needs new tires and it has a bit of rust, but I'm confident I can fix it up for way less than a new bike. And you can hopefully see this through my crushed screen, but look, it's one of those cute little I love that that does not look like it was free.
Speaker 2: That's very good and that's everything that I've got this many win love it.
Speaker 5: She's good at a money win.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I love it and picking them out of the group ten out of ten.
Speaker 5: Sad. Yes, you have some broke tips for us this week.
Speaker 2: I do, I do, okay. So the first one is from Cassie, who kind of alerted me to what you might call a rewards program of sorts, and one in particular is Grilled. Basically, if you sign up with your favorite Ossie Rules team, you will receive a two for one coupon on a Monday. I believe very niche. This is all very niche, but niche chips are broke. You gotta be to be creating?
Speaker 5: Was that?
Speaker 4: Ye don't think so hard about my commentary today, but it kind of got.
Speaker 2: Me thinking about all the other things that are out there. And I don't have any examples.
Speaker 5: Actually, I just got thinking about all the other which I have.
Speaker 2: I have z zero No, okay, I do remember Domino's. You know you get those things in the mail board.
Speaker 5: Brooke got one the other day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she got a whole pizza delivered for free, for free, no free, Now my money was exchanged.
Speaker 2: She thought it was a scam, but she did it anyway, and turns out luckily for her. Wasn't that is incredible. I would risk my life for one pizza.
Speaker 4: It was in Perth, oh so I'm not sure if that was in Melbourne, but it was like a letterbox drop. And she was amazing, says I've got a free pizza delivered. And so she got it to launched the other day and Jess and I were envious.
Speaker 2: That is amazing.
Speaker 5: This is the thing, is it?
Speaker 2: Back of receipts your mailbox. Junk mail sometimes comes in hand.
Speaker 1: I have one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you go through the KFC drive through on your receipt. But there's usually like a QR code on the window too, where you scan and you give them feedback on your meal and then you get a free meal for your next meal. It's like a free chips and a drink or free something. I haven't want any take.
Speaker 5: A photo of that QR code and put it on story.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I can't please.
Speaker 5: Everybody's coinky dink.
Speaker 4: We are just giving feedback on our meals then, and you're saying I'll get my next one free.
Speaker 6: We all had a great experience in Melbourne CVDKFC on the same.
Speaker 5: Their feedback is going to go through the roof.
Speaker 2: If you're doing that, only leave them nice feedback.
Speaker 4: I got my car service to actually this morning. I picked it up and it was Spino, do you have it picked up? And I was nearly sick and the guy was honestly so nice. He was texting me all weekend because it took a little bit longer than it should have and he was like, oh, like you're going to get a text in a couple of days about your experience and I said, yeah, no worries. You're a solid ten and he said, yep, it's actually out of five. Anything below five is a fail.
Speaker 5: And I was like, oh good to know.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, is that some people don't anyway? So I continue, that's how rude is it?
Speaker 6: Though?
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, interesting fact.
Speaker 6: Apparently when people have to grade on a scale, like any kind of experience, even if people are super satisfied with their experience, they're more likely to go for if it's out of five, four instead of a five, Like it's just human.
Speaker 5: Nature to nominate.
Speaker 4: Oh well, it wasn't the best experience my entire life, Yeah, because you would compare it to going to cold Rock, wouldn't you. You'd be the best experience in my life's going to cold Rock and getting a custom cake.
Speaker 2: They're probably comparing everything to like the best day of their entire lives. Maybe having a baby wasn't as good as that. So what I'm going to say four fours on five, but give everyone a five.
Speaker 5: If five is over five, they deserve it.
Speaker 6: You can tell you guys have been hard at work today because we're getting impressions voices.
Speaker 4: So today today Beck and I have done so we always save the Friday drinks is like a little treat at the end.
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 4: This little treaty treat just comes in at the very end to record. So she's like, chips, You've had a really nice day work, Jess, can I eight hours straight recording.
Speaker 2: Being very silly.
Speaker 5: We are so silly, so silly. I've had so many coffees.
Speaker 4: I've had this really bad hot chocolate that I made in the staff kitchen. One out of ten would not recommend Mike crew waving soy milk.
Speaker 2: That's a one star. Always bad microwaving soy milk. You can't do it either.
Speaker 4: It's a trap. No three coke zeros, like my body is a temple.
Speaker 2: To worship coke zero.
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 5: How did you know? Anyway?
Speaker 2: Tell us your best broad tip for the week back? Okay, one more actually I have from Jess, not just Richie, who says to squeeze the toilet paper to avoid over rolling to it kind of results in you know, longer use, which is actually a really good idea because you know, you just like you pull the thing, the thing just rolls and rolls. You use so much toilet paper you probably go through it and you have to buy a whole new twenty four pack in like a few I don't know, for me, maybe last a week or two.
Speaker 5: And I'm a single, strange or fold.
Speaker 4: I'm a scratcher, but like, how many like squares are you using? Well, this is the screen and exactly as Jess says, and this is something I didn't even notice I do. I yank it and wait till it stops orically on its own and Newton's law or whatever right stops.
Speaker 6: And if you're a parent, like a lot of the time, like you're doing it one handed. Like I know people like if you've gone to a restroom and you've got a child, you're like holding the trial trying to make sure they're not touching something in that toilet they're not supposed to whatever. You're doing it at one handed, so you would like you just do a lat week.
Speaker 2: But if he scrun shit or like like you kind of like press it down, so the role you squish the roll so it doesn't like roll is easy. Yeah, and then you get just what you need and then you're more like mind crab it, you know what I mean, which is smart, really good idea. In the long run, you're actually going to save quite a bit of money. It's great, thank you, Jess. Not very aesthetic, it's not very aesthetic, but you know, you get what you get and you don't get up exactly right now, my broke tip for this week. What I was going to do was and this is probably a little bit different, but I'm going to open up my ig app right now and tell you exactly how much money I have in here for the rest of the week.
Speaker 5: Stunning.
Speaker 2: So payday is in one week's time. I'm aware I have fifteen dollars twelve plus twenty one. I have fifteen dollars and thirty three cents.
Speaker 4: Oh did you think that when she was doing fifteen plus thirty three or whatever she said, I thought it was going to be dollars.
Speaker 5: It was cents.
Speaker 6: It says twenty one plus twelve cents on that edge. But I gat a quick mass, great quy, thank.
Speaker 2: You so much. So this is what I wanted to tell you guys, is that I do have a few things coming up that I still want to be doing. I don't want to cancel on everyone because I kin't of afford to go out because that would make me really sad, and I don't want to be sad all week. So let me tell you what I have coming up and how I'm about to make this fifteen dollars and thirty three cents last.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm really excited to hear this week.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Just to preface though, before we get into this, I feel like it needs to be disclaimed that you have a good salary.
Speaker 2: Now I do, but as I have mentioned in previous episodes, I am currently back paying things. Yeah, okay, example like.
Speaker 5: Get that the next step?
Speaker 4: All right, that's fair, because I was like, where is this coming from. I'm also bad with money, that is, I wasn't pointing out that you bad with money.
Speaker 5: We need to disclaimer It's not.
Speaker 4: Like this is the norm for you, like as it has been, but in the future it's going to be. You can to track the journey.
Speaker 5: I'm so excited, as.
Speaker 6: Say, beans going through the journey and that's it's okay to have fifteen dollars.
Speaker 5: There's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 2: And also I should say I'm extremely comfortable with this kind of thing. This is a very very normal week for me. So at the end of.
Speaker 5: How are we budgeting though, like, how are we making this stretch?
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me tell you what I'm about to do. I'm ready so tonight, Yes, I am meeting my brother for a drink at the pub. Oh how I'm not going to drink. I'm going to get soda water. And you know what I'm going to do. I'm going to find the pub that I know already does free soda water. So I'm giving a shout out to Eaties on leg On Stream in Brunswick East. I'm giving a shout out to a few more. Retreat is also a good one in Brunswick. Just kind of trial and error. I know which ones don't charge me for soda water. I'm going there. I'm going to get soda water. But before I go, I'm going into the office. I'm going into the kitchen.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I'm gonna find little snacks.
Speaker 2: We sometimes have bread and cheeses in there that I could probably buy on my own. It wouldn't cost too much. I'm gonna make two or three cheese toasties, stunning, and take these two or three toasties. That's gonna last me. One for lunch. I like to have two for lunch, but I'm gonna like spread them out. One for lunch yep, one straight after work yep, so one for dinner yep.
Speaker 5: Stunning.
Speaker 2: That's my whole day. And I tell you what that is free there's zero dollars. That's money weir and delicious and delicious. And then next I have little things pop up here and there. But that's okay. I'm okay with that because I know that I'd never have to spend money if I'm going to be drinking soda water. This is an issue probably for someone who does drink. That's when you go back to the five dollar wine situation. Now, the next thing I have, the big thing I have coming up is trivia. Me and my best friend host trivia in Rye on the Peninsula. I don't around. I've got to spend petrol money to get there. Oh how am I going to do this?
Speaker 5: We are asking, please?
Speaker 2: What I'm going to do? Yes, is I'm going to find a Wooly petrol station because I don't know if you remember, but I have Woolas rewards points. I have ten dollars on that that I'm going to be using on petrol. Only you've thought about this, yes, and that will get me too, right, Nobody can say she's not the most strategic woman you've ever This whole week is going to be free. I love it, so that will take me all the way to rise. I'm going to stay there. I'm going to stay to friend's house down there until payday. That might be two three days. I don't mind. I'm willing to stay down there until then.
Speaker 5: Okay. As for food, oh no, whoe is her?
Speaker 4: She has to go down to the beach and stay.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to stay on the foreshore like a pauper. Just kidding, very very beautiful, obviously, this is the joke. For food, what am I going to do? That is an bread baby? Fill myself up on bread and milk. Milk is very very very filling. Servo coffees. Yeah, bread, everything else. She's toasty butter and jam. And this is one that I've said before, and I know that you'll probably stick with me saying bread.
Speaker 5: I'm not everybody's obsessed with bread.
Speaker 2: Bread, bread, bread and anywhere you can free stuff, free stuff anywhere you can, whether that's in your office, whether that you have a friend that you can get food from take away. You know when you go to a freeze house and they're like, this is something that I was actually going to say next week, But here freebies from your friend's houses. They cook stuff and you can't be bothered taking food home and they're like, take something. We got so much leftover. Take it, yeah, take it, say yeah, take it.
Speaker 4: It's like when Jess leaves my house, I'm like, take this, take that, take this, and she's.
Speaker 5: Like stop it, and I'm like, I don't know, take bax advice, take it.
Speaker 2: Take it. It's like shopping for free. It's great, ex take it. So that's me and I'm assuming this fifteen dollars and thirty three cents will last me a whole week if I stick to my plan. I have to because I have no other money. So that's that. And I hope you've learned something.
Speaker 5: You love, love love. You're a wizard at money.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I'm just very used to being living off fifteen dollars. For some reason, it's always fifteen. I don't really know why always just turns into fifteen. Maybe just spending the same amount of money every month, there's a.
Speaker 6: Pattern there, Like that's that actual thing, Like you're probably spending on the same things, the same amount of money on the same things.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's like a light bank account, a.
Speaker 5: Cliff number like where I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's like fifty bucks and when you only see fifty bucks in your account, you like really hold back.
Speaker 5: Spending and then think it's like yeah, yeah, Like.
Speaker 4: You get to fifteen and you're like, oh, stuff's starting to get really real, and then you start slowly slowly, and by the time you've like cut back and cut back, it's just at fifteen and then that's what you've got left. Maybe that's where it is, because I feel like lots of people, especially people who live month to month, have that like Cliff number where they aren't worried. I aren't worried, and then you see that number and you're like, oh, I better be responsible. Yeah I think so there's the responsibility Cliff number.
Speaker 5: It's science.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's very interesting.
Speaker 6: Now that's a great week of tips for me. It was really interesting. That was so helpful.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. How good Thank you for no one more good one that I feel like we can actually help you out with.
Speaker 6: If you have a friend who uses a subscription service. We both obviously love Marley Spoon. They generally do if you've been a customer of theirs for a while, and if you're paying for boxes, which we do, you get like a free box. You can earn credits or it's different depending on what platform use. I know, for Maley, the longer you're there, the more credits you build up there.
Speaker 4: You can't just like send it to new people and everyone gets a free box. Like there's a limit on how many people I could refer So I'm going to send you a free box.
Speaker 5: Obviously, thank you. But if you've got friends that have that referral link like for a free box.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you don't have to spend any money, they can just go, hey, you want to try it out?
Speaker 2: See what's so good?
Speaker 6: Here's a box if you order normally, there's like three or four meals that you get in one of those boxes. If you're a single person that can save them double it. That's like four or five days with.
Speaker 2: Me and God, that's good. Okay, genius.
Speaker 5: That is Jane, so smart, so smart.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: You're a genius, Jessica. Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about calculating superannuation for retirement, which I know you guys cannot wait.
Speaker 5: And we're also unpecking a message that you slip into our.
Speaker 4: DMS about which this week is all about subletting a share house. So don't go anywhere, my Marley Spoon friends.
Speaker 6: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to the Money to Lemma this week.
Speaker 4: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Shees on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen said this wakes money dilemma.
Speaker 7: My name is Ravi and I'm about to retire next month with the super balance of one point six. When I checked super calculators online, it shows that money will finish by the age of ninety one, which is fine. But my question to that calculator is, if we assume five percent's return and five percent we draw on, the super balance at the age of ninety one should be there, but the calculator shows is gone completely. Am I missing something? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, take it away.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I could say a few things about this one, but you know what, I don't want to embarrass you guys. So what I might do is instead of, you know, obviously giving an expert opinion, I might throw to one of you.
Speaker 6: Yes, I would say.
Speaker 2: I love you, I lie love you, RAVI.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad that you wanted to ask us. Yeah, congrats, I'm retiring. By the way, that happening next month. There are some gaps that I have had to fill in your situation.
Speaker 2: Which is exactly why you don't know what to say.
Speaker 4: I was about to say, fun, could you guys like, let me take the reins on this or is that all good?
Speaker 2: Straight?
Speaker 5: I know it's all day.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was thinking I might give it a crack at answering this question.
Speaker 5: We'll let it slide.
Speaker 2: Say that's fine.
Speaker 4: You're retiring next month, which I think is really exciting. And so I did some calculations because you told me that you had a one point six million dollar portfolio and that it would last you until the age of ninety one, but you didn't tell us how old you were. But based on a draw down rate of five percent, and what I think you've done with this retirement calculator, which I'll explain to you why maybe we haven't used it effectively because at the end of the day, one point six million dollars should technically still exist at the end of that period of time, because his question is really valid. He's like, I've used this retirement calculator and it's saying that if I draw down five percent every single year, I'll have nothing by the time I'm ninety one, Which if that's the case, what I think you've done is gone to a calculator that tells you you know what your retirement income is going to look like based on a five percent estimated earnings rate, which is from my perspective, a really conservative rate, Like that's what makes me feel.
Speaker 5: The most comfortable.
Speaker 4: When I was working as a financial advisor, That's what i'd work on with my clients because on average it's higher, but I'd prefer you to be pleasantly surprised than in a financial pickup. So that means of one point six million dollars, you'd be technically making a profit each year, or your share portfolio would be making about eighty thousand dollars a year. What I'm assuming has happened is you've gone to this calculator and you've put down a draw down amount of eighty thousand dollars and you've also assumed that you'll be making that eighty thousand dollars from your share portfolio each year, so that's one hundred and sixty thousand dollars you'd be drawing down. And if that's the case, you're seventy year years old and you're about to retire, which is really exciting. However, the issue here is the difference between what your fund will make and what your drawdown amount is, so each and every single year, and this is where it gets a little bit fickle. And to be honest, you have one point six million dollars. Please go see a financial advisor. Please, you have so much money. I know you've probably done all of this on your own, and that is so damn impressive, so cool, But now is the time to actually get all your ducks in a row, because it could be really financially easy for you. But you have the ability right now, and I'm so passionate about legacy, but you have the ability to set this up for years to come like this one point six million dollars doesn't need to necessarily go anywhere. However, in retirement, technically you do have to do what's called a drawdown, and most people do five percent of draw down, which means you'd be taking eighty thousand dollars out as a drawdown of your funds, so taking money outside the super environment, and you would also be taking the profits your income because you're now retired. I'm going to assume these are massive assumptions because we don't have your full financial circumstances. If you've managed to get one point six million dollars into superannuation, you're probably pretty financially stable outside of super.
Speaker 5: Is that a good assumption? I feel like that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Guess.
Speaker 4: I doubt that in retirement you need one hundred and sixty thousand dollars tax free. So you're going to talk to your financial advisor about putting that to work.
Speaker 5: Are you investing it?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Obviously tax is going to come into that at that point. If you're going to make money from your money, you do have to pay once it comes out.
Speaker 5: Of the super environment.
Speaker 4: But what I would be doing is going and having a chat to a financial advisor to make sure that your drawdown amount and the amount of money that you're making makes sense, because if you've just done your calculations, you are correct. After twenty years that amount of money completely disappears because this you know, if you divide one point six million dollars by twenty you actually get eighty grand. So all of that makes sense. But what you need to do is talk to a financial advisor about making a plan for what your money does once you have it in your hands. And this is, ultimately, guys, the dream position that I would want everyone to be in when they retire. Right, Hey, Beck, you've got more money coming in than your lifestyle needs. Right So I obviously don't know that as gospel for our friend Ravi, But Ravi, if you want, shoot us a message and I will set you up with one of the financial advisors that I know and I trust to make sure that you're in the best possible position, because at the end of the day, that money isn't just going nowhere, like it can be put to work, and that one point six million dollars, if you're drawing it down, the probability of you actually getting through one hundred and sixty thousand dollars a year might not need that much. So like, maybe you're getting through eighty thousand dollars of it, and we take that other eighty thousand and invest it into something else so that hopefully you can live beyond ninety one years financially comfortably.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: I actually what happened on the way into the studio is Ess dropped her notes and I picked them up, and.
Speaker 5: I was like, I'm going to take credit for this.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it happens all the time. Actually, yes, yeah, yeah, Please don't tell anyone.
Speaker 2: I can't trust myself not to. Yeah, but I'm not going to today.
Speaker 4: Okay, you can steal Jess's notes next week if I find.
Speaker 2: That my lips are sealed.
Speaker 6: I feel like though, we're going to have some good things to contribute from our notes for this week's community dilemma.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, all right, Jesse, are you ready ready? I think you're excited about this.
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: So this week we got a message and it reads like this, Hello for exclamation points. I have a roommate dilemma. Good to see a few people struggle with this, not just me. So my housemate is off on placement and she'll be gone for the next two months. We've told her we aren't comfortable with her filling the room with a random person, as we've had bad roommate experiences in the past. We told her she doesn't need to pay for any bills, but she's getting really annoyed at us because she says she can't afford the rent as it's a volunteer placement and she really wants us to fill the room. I don't want to be rude about it, and I'm trying really hard to be empathetic. But if this was something we knew what happened prior to her moving in, we honestly would have said, no, are we being unreasonable not letting someone move in as it means her finances.
Speaker 5: Will be tight.
Speaker 4: I feel like we are being good by not making her pay bills while she's gone.
Speaker 5: I'm super conflicted.
Speaker 6: I feel like Analisa and I have different opinions on this because I can see her nodding along do something.
Speaker 2: Looks so grumpy, she looks cranky. I'm scared to say what I think. Now you can go first.
Speaker 5: I'm scared to say what I think.
Speaker 2: I am not scared because the look on our producer's face is the same.
Speaker 5: Is she going us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, We're both gonna get used.
Speaker 1: On.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna sit on my hands and my toes and zip my mouth. Shruck so you're gonna any travel, all right?
Speaker 2: You know that I like to be nice to everyone because I can definitely you know, everyone's living their own reality. No one deserves being roasted, So I'm not about to roast anyone here, I know.
Speaker 4: But yes she is, but sit down because it's about to get real hot but not roasty.
Speaker 2: No. So the person who wrote in, yes, I can understand the discomfort there, I can hopefully understand that. Unfortunately, though subletting a room is I don't know, in a sharehouse normal thing to do. I can totally understand not wanting a stranger in there. But don't be suck what don't be mean? Just let someone else live in there while she's gone. Absolutely, because wait wait wait wait wait wait, but this is the other thing.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm so opinionated about this.
Speaker 2: Nobody's the other thing. They said that they wouldn't let this housemate. They wouldn't have let them move in if they knew that they were going to have to sublet in the future. So they were open to having another person in the room at some point if they knew that this person was going to like kind of float in and out or whatever they needed to do. I just think that subletting is fine. Like if you all interview a new person and you say, Okay, this person is going to move in for six weeks, we all like this person, it'd be the exact same process as getting a whole new housemate. If this other person decided that they can't actually afford it and they need to move out, you're doing the exact same thing, interviewing, posting pictures, doing all this stuff.
Speaker 4: Whether this person moves out, yep, So that person sublets that we've just picked Jess, they can stay forever.
Speaker 2: Where is a line down the middle of this.
Speaker 4: Table, you're gonna you can get on the mica.
Speaker 5: I want to hear what Jess has got to say. I think because I feel like I'm on Jess's team, I feel like it's.
Speaker 6: Worth noting in a housemate situation. I think there are two different kinds of housemate situations you can live in. I personally have lived in multiple sharehouses, never with somebody I didn't know, and that is a choice that I made. Beck. I think your experience has been you've lived with a whole roving group of people, people coming in, people coming out. That's a bit more than norm for your situation. So I think that's probably an important distinction to make upfront. And to me, it sounds like they're three friends. They moved in, they knew each other, They're going for kind of like we feel like we're going to live well together.
Speaker 2: That's the choice that.
Speaker 6: They have made. My vibe on this is, you knew you were going to go on placement, do you know what I mean? Like, if you're undertaking a degree, you know that placement's coming up. And I completely agree. It is ridiculous that people should be doing unpaid placement. My boyfriend did it last year. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, that's a completely different, completely different conversation.
Speaker 6: I completely empathize with her, and I understand what a financial strain that can put on you. That being said, I'm of the opinion that your financial situation should not impact the people that you're living with. And this is a conversation that we have had before, and I.
Speaker 4: Think I can just leave. That's fine because I'm on the same page. Just whatever, just says I agree.
Speaker 6: I just I especially because she knew. I think that's something that should have been discussed when they moved in. Hey, I'm going to go on placement. I'm going to need to sublet my room because I'm in the same boat as her friends. If I was living with two of my friends and they said, hey, we want to put a random in here for two months, I would say I'm not comfortable with that, And that is my own personal reasons, my own personal comforts and anxieties and whatever. But I think that they are entitled to live like you've moved in on an agreement that the three of us are going to live together for twelve months. That's the other thing. I'm operating under the assumption that they're on a twelve month lease, not a month to month lease. So we've gone, yep, me back in Victoria, we're all moving in together for twelve months. Yeah, that's the agreement that I've entered into. A lot of the time, at least in Victoria, subletting is not necessarily allowed. A lot of clauses do not allow it. True, So again, depending on their clause, depending on their situation, that could be a factor as well. I would not be comfortable with some random person moving in. And I understand how they have said. Annelie says like, get me on, get me on, get me on, Like I understand both sides. But I think, in the same way that I've said this for other situations, you signed a contract saying the three of us are going to do this, We're going to be responsible for this, and if you were concerned about that at the start, I think you maybe needed to have a little bit of forethought. I think not having her pay the bills to me seems like a good compromise. That's what me and my partner did. He paid his rent as per normal while he was paying to live on placement somewhere else, and I paid our full utility bills. Right, That's a good compromise.
Speaker 3: Give me the mic so I can take it away. It's a rare, rare moment where the money to talk about this, because you know what, jay Rik, it's anelysi here by the way, Hi, hi, hey, So jay Rik, I also completely agree with you and Victoria, and Victorian.
Speaker 5: Said anything officially, I've not gone on for once. For once, my house is a home, not a hostel.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 3: Literally, I would like to say, Jessica, I do completely agree with you, and now at my age, no way would I up with that. But what I would say is, okay, say you are good friends and you have moved in together. Yeah, why on earth did she not bring this up at the start. But there are two types of housemates in my long checkered history of sharehouses, right, and I have had some absolute nightmares and the people who house I'm a fantastic housemate. Do you think every everrying says that.
Speaker 5: Stole my underwear? And I'm sure she'd say she was great. Yeah, well let's stick on the topic.
Speaker 3: But I you know, we always had the housemate that would do the flaky thing and be like, oh, I actually I have to move out tomorrow and it's on you to find a new person and.
Speaker 2: Whatever the unacceptable share exactly.
Speaker 3: But there's a very very bond between perfect and even legal and what is the right thing to do and what actually happens in sharehouses. And what this chick should have said is that she was going to go on placement. Look for some reason she didn't. But she is your friend. And what I would say in this situation is she's probably not just saying she can't pay the rent because she just wants to.
Speaker 2: Keep some extra money.
Speaker 3: It's like, actually a difference between maybe doing it and not doing it, And yes it's not she left it way to the last minute. But if you trust your friend, she can organize all of the what do they call it interviews.
Speaker 2: For people to come in.
Speaker 3: You pick someone you like, and if they don't find someone, it's two months.
Speaker 2: Also, I mean that's eight weeks.
Speaker 5: It's very very quick.
Speaker 3: You don't have to say yes to anyone you don't like, and you're like, okay, if we can't find not a freak to move in.
Speaker 2: Then sorry, you got to pay.
Speaker 3: It's just in my experience that gap between perfect, normal, stable adult life and sharehouse life is there is a whole lot of movement in between, and it's really hard and it gets very mucky. And yes, I have lived with the biggest chaos lords on the planet and you don't want to entertain that in your house. But I just also think this person's your friend. You've moved into with friends, like, maybe you can help them out, not let a toxic vibe in in a short term and vet that you know.
Speaker 6: But it's hard because if you've picked a friend to move in, like you've cultivated a safe space.
Speaker 3: From my perspective, well then you picked the wrong person because your friend's lying to you.
Speaker 6: Yes, I.
Speaker 5: Well sorry to get dramatic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I get what you mean.
Speaker 3: I just then like, where's that friendship going to be after this? Then when they're like, ah, no, you know is that in chatters?
Speaker 6: There are other options though, Like you can get grants to help you pay for accommodation. I know James had a good portion of his covered. It also depends, I guess on what she's looking at for her alternative accommodation, Like is she like, has she found a really affordable place, you know, for her second home while she's on placement, Like my partner was staying in quite frankly a trash heap, Like it was a two meter by two meter box with like a little square window, Like it was not a nice place to live. But he's like, well, it does the job, and it's cheap a f and it's pretty much covered by my grant. So that's it. So I feel like there are other options here that shouldn't necessarily mean that you have to put two other people out on something.
Speaker 2: That should be a last Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's all fair and coming from different areas, and I think it honestly depends on the personality of the people that you're going to live with right, sure? So like I could have already guessed that Beck, you'd be like, yeah, that's fine, someone else can come live with me. Yeah, I already knew that. Jessica would have just been like hard not. I think you already knew both of you that I wouldn't have been comfortable with that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think it's about kind of the stability that you're trying to create in your sharehouse. I know that jess and I are very similar in that it was never really just a sharehouse that we didn't care about. No, Like, to me, that's my home, Like I have spent money furnishing it. I have you know, invested in different things. You know, there's been arguments along the way of who needs to buy the dishwashing detergent and all of those other things. But I'm the type of person that furnished it and put you know, photos on the wall, and these are my things.
Speaker 5: This is my home.
Speaker 4: I'm like, it's not to me a hostel where people come and go. Like I always moved in with people that I assumed we would have a long term housemate relationship with. So if someone had turned around and be like, oh, yeah, I'm just gonna sublet my room. It takes me a lot to be comfortable with somebody.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 4: That whole idea that now I need to find time in my schedule to interview people to potentially move into my house that I might be comfortable with for only eight weeks, I feel is not fair. It should have been a conversation he had at the very beginning where maybe now listening to this, if you're moving into a sharehouse, have that conversation with your housemates before you move in, be like, hey, what if any of us go who's away? Yeah, that's what if your finances are not your housemates' responsibility. And yes, it's placement, but like I don't know, three of our team members recently have done eight weeks stints in Europe. I'm not saying that that's a key into placement. There's a lot of privilege, there's a lot of discussion, But just because your room is open doesn't mean that someone necessarily comes and lives there. Like you, As you said, Jess, you've signed a lease, You've moved in on the premise that you've committed to that for twelve months. If the circumstances that you can't commit to that anymore. Well maybe you give your housemates the option and be like, hey, cool, well I'm not going to be able to afford it, giving you notice now I'm going to move out. You're going to need to find a new housemate. And that could be the reality of the situation, because at the end of the day, I just think, for me, one thing that I always looked for when I was not living with my parents anymore was stability. And I didn't want people coming and going from my home or like using my stuff or I don't know, I'm not the type of person that was cool with that.
Speaker 5: Flip it over to my little sister.
Speaker 4: She's so good at making friends, like it wouldn't matter who was and where it was. But I think you need to be really aware of the personalities that you're moving in with because I only knew that you'd be fine with it, Beck, and I knew that would be hard. No, Like it was not a surprise when your opinions came out. I was like, yeah, this makes sense, right, But.
Speaker 6: You've feels for a certain environment too, Like what if the three friends like you're the kind of friends that like you get ready together every Friday night, like you walk around in your unknees because you're all fake tanning. Like there's a level of comfort there that I think you develop with people that are your friends, that even if you find a person who's a non freak, who is perfectly lovely, bringing them into the home is still going to be disruptive.
Speaker 2: Of course, is creepy.
Speaker 5: And I don't think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think anyone. I mean, we do need to finish this episode, but I don't think anyone wants to say that it's cool or great for home to be disrupted. I just think in the practical, everyday reality of living in a sharehouse, there are going to be times when it's not as good as what it always is.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I have empathy not promising another list that I'm not going to deliver on. I have written most lists sweety to get them online. So we should make a list of questions to ask your housemates before you move in with oh my god.
Speaker 2: Housemate check list. We're not giving you a date. Follow us on Instagram and we'll announce it there when it's random.
Speaker 5: We will release it when we're comfortable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a great idea though, because we're like, we've done a lot of these housemate episodes now, and you know.
Speaker 4: What, all this is the spiciest housemate content ever. Like not necessarily this, but like this podcast has gone rogue on. I feel like one of you heard that we talk about housemates and you're like, oh, by the way, my housemate dilemma is so yeah.
Speaker 5: Anyway, guys, that is all we have time for today.
Speaker 4: I hope you have the best weekend and we'll see you briting early for a money diary on Monday.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read.
Speaker 8: The PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 5: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 8: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sheirper P T y L t D A B N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight A F S L four five one two eight nine