Speaker 1: It is the pickup Monday afternoon Britt, Laura and Mitch Hey tryvis dabble maybe with a DC ten Sport one hundred meal by Dan Carter. It is new and it is exclusive to Chemist Warehouse for just forty nine ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Will Smith is having a bit of a hard time lately, don't you think.
Speaker 3: What since the slap at the hot things He's brought on himself most of it, I mean, the slab was pretty bad, but okay, the whole you know what.
Speaker 4: The Red Table is that Jada, his wife does where they sit around and they i mean a lot of the time they seem to hash out some of their family stuff that really shouldn't be hashed out in public.
Speaker 2: It's a chat show, but it's like a personal therapy session.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really is. So recently there was a conversation that happened on there with Will Smith's daughter and also her brother, so Jaden and Willow, and they were talking about all this resentment that they had towards their mostly towards their dad, towards will from their childhood, and Will went on to talk about how much he regretted his parenting of them when they were younger, this is what Willow had to say.
Speaker 5: I definitely had to forgive you and Daddy, you know, for that whole with my hair thing. It was mostly Daddy because she was so like harsh right at certain times. It was like a couple of years honestly, like trying to regain trust for not feeling like I wasn't listened to or no one cared what I felt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, So this is talking about how both Jaden and Willow were really thrust into the spotlight as young kids. They were so successful in their own ride, but they've come out now as adults saying that they actually never wanted to be in the spotlight. You might remember Willow had that hugely successful song I whip my hair back and forth.
Speaker 1: I went with her hair back and forth. I went my hair back and forth.
Speaker 2: So she eleven.
Speaker 4: She was ten years old when that came out, and then she was touring it when she was eleven. So, I mean, I don't know if this was very widely reported on the time, but during the tour she wanted to cancel it, she wanted to stop touring. So as an eleven year old, she said, you know, Dad, I don't want to be doing this anymore, and Will made her can con tinue the tour, and so she shaved her own head in protests because she so desperately didn't want to be doing that tour. And then also Jayden was in things like Pursuit of Happiness. He was only eight years old and he was starring alongside his dad. And basically Will has come out now with adult kids, and he said that he thought the picture of happiness that he thought he saw for himself, the picture of being perfect parenting, was to be able to set them up for them to have the successes that he always dreamed of for himself. And so he really pushed them into the spotlight and pushed them into being child stars, even though no part of them wanted to live that life.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's this idea of being famous equals success. It allows happiness, but it doesn't. You hear a lot of people, a lot of famous people, a lot of Hollywood people. They especially the child stars you can look. You could name so many, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears. They all had some really.
Speaker 2: Big issues in their life because they were pushed into it too young.
Speaker 4: Well, it makes you think, at what point was it the kids that wanted to get into it at the start, but then their careers take off and there's this huge trajectory. There's so much interest in then they got from doing something that they love doing, which might be performing, into it becoming a career, and then there's all the responsibilities. They're being forced to not be kids and to grow up almost instantaneously. At what point do you allow your kid to get off the treadmill? You know, if they say I have had enough now, this has gone too far. If the balls rolling and they're making all this money and their successes are going from strength to strength, when do you let the kid just be a kid?
Speaker 1: Give? But I'd also argue that it has set them up for life. We know who they are. They'll never have to work another day in their life.
Speaker 2: For when they were a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they've worked when the very kids. But I mean, when you're a kid, what's the difference between being forced to put out a song and with your hair back and forth and my parents forcing me to play junior soccer that I hated and detested and cried every day. I'm being serious, Like, I still have a bit of resentment for them forcing me to do that. It's the same, just on a different magnitude.
Speaker 4: Their scale is so much different though, because I think it's not just around the activity forcing kid to do their activity. It's the notoriety. It's being a household name. It's not being able to walk down the street without people.
Speaker 1: Knowing soccer the local area. I really knew who I was, I Laura, it was terrible.
Speaker 2: Oh bless.
Speaker 3: I imagine the situation with Will and Willow at the time, and why he probably forced her to keep going.
Speaker 2: Is logistically speaking, the tickets would have sold.
Speaker 3: That flow on effect of pulling and tied to it would be something that's very long lasting and detrimental to his.
Speaker 2: To her career.
Speaker 3: So I imagine Will as a dad, was like, I get it, but you've committed follow through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so hold on. So Will regrets it now? Laura, You've you've got kids, and your kids are on your social media? Is the only part of you that regrets putting them out there? And you know getting baby clothes.
Speaker 4: Now that Huggies campaign that we did when Marley was three months old?
Speaker 1: Did you do that?
Speaker 4: I mean my kids? I mean, okay, this sounds so bad coming off the back of this. But my kids have done different jobs, like brand jobs, which they get paid for, and all that money is sitting in an account for them somewhere.
Speaker 6: But yeah, she's like in the Caymans, we're not paying anybody on it. No, but it's sitting there for when they are adults and then they can tap into it. But there's absolutely parts of this that makes me think, well, are they going to turn around when they're thirteen years old and say, why was my face on that campaign?
Speaker 1: Stopes in protests?
Speaker 2: There's a difference. No, there's a difference with this.
Speaker 3: I think a three months old in a nappy on an ad because it's not like you.
Speaker 2: Were there going crawl baby crawl like you were.
Speaker 3: It was going to sit there in the nappy regardless. But I think it's different when you're eleven. You have a bit more autonomy over what you want and you're like, I'm I'm viscerally uncomfortable with it.
Speaker 2: So it's good that Will has come out and acknowledged. She's like, Yep, I messed up. Wasn't great?
Speaker 6: I regret that.
Speaker 2: I love to see the accountability.
Speaker 1: Next on the show. Is there any situation? Don't answer now? Is there any situation in which you'd allow your partner to have one final night with their ex in the bedroom. Think about it, because that's what we're chatting about next on the Pickup