Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by quantas the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again, this season, Quantus is prouds will be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hello and welcome to The Unplayable Podcast. England have won a match in Australia, the first in almost fifteen years loo and unfortunately the series isn't still alive, but it was a fantastic day at the MCG for all England fans and England team members. The Barmeur is going wild. They got the win by four wickets and now we just talk about too little, too late.
Speaker 2: Fourteen years and eleven months and like fourteen days, I think it is five four hundred and sixty eight days they'd gone without winning a Test match in Australia and some club cricketers, you know, would be listening to this and think, well, how does this relate to my cricket, because that's what you do as a club cricket watching Test cricket. In this series we've had two two day red ball games. That's very familiar for club cricketers. Both of them have been reverse outrights, so the team that was behind on the first innings has one on the second innings. Most club cricketers would go, you know, two three four hundred game careers without playing in a reverse outright, and we've had two in Test cricket.
Speaker 3: In an ASH series in four games.
Speaker 1: As you say, this was effectively the reverse of Perth, wasn't there that? I mean Australia had a first things deficit there and one. England had a first things deficit here and one. They never really looked like they weren't going to get their total. They came out really strong. It was Crawley and Duckett who have been under so much pressure, especially Duckett throughout the week with those videos that surfaced in NUSA and Crawley, who has been under a bit of pressure himself given he's had such a long career to day and delivered not quite as much as England fans would have wanted. Those two really set the tone and eventually they got the win by four wickets. But what does this mean for Stokes and for bastball? Is it alive and well.
Speaker 2: Well, it shows that there's a method that can work on pitches that that give a bit. I think we thought before this series, will you know, the way bads ball operates it, it should do better on Australian pitches that are better for you know, you have to elevate your risk profile on wickets that seem around. They've been playing on wickets that are suited to their style and you kind of thought that approach might be one that would be suited. And finally it did kind of work. I mean, it looked like a tired Australian team by.
Speaker 3: Kind of the end of it.
Speaker 2: There was some some pretty questionable batting that will I'm sure we'll go into.
Speaker 3: And the bowling attack just didn't you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's hard to criticize the bowling attack that bowled England out for what was that under two hundred in the first.
Speaker 3: Innings, yeap one hundred and ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm not going to criticize them, but you know, second second time around, it just you know, Mitchell Stark has been phenomenal in this series and he was just good, you know, like and that's he's just been at this level. And England, you know, to their credit, kind of hit Australia with some with some good good batting on on on a tough I mean, you know, Ben Duckett, he kind of got played into formal a little bit the way Stark bowl to him early. There's a lot of wide stuff, a lot of short stuff, a bit of stuff on his pads and that kind of just got.
Speaker 3: Him going because he did look really rusty early.
Speaker 2: And Crawley I think has been pretty good all series once he got over that pair in Perth, the one I think England fans are going to be walking away from the game wondering about is Jacob Bethel like this guy looked phenomenal. Not only has he not played in the first three tests of this series in a run chase that kind of looked Taylor made for him, especially after duck and Crawley got off to such good start, they bloody demoted him down to number four, So you know, you just got to be wondering what, you know, why didn't we see this guy when the.
Speaker 3: Series was live?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's been Oli Pope's position for a long time at number three role. He was back at the start of this series and now finally he's been moved on. And Jacob Bethel, although as he said, he didn't bat at number three and that second innings, but his forty or forty six he looked very composed. He got a good ball in the as England sort of capitulated, but there was composure there. He's only twenty two. He was only seven the last time England won a Test in Australia. So he's the start of this new brigade for them. And there's also that aspect of their bowling, which is looking like a very fresh attack compared to what we've seen in years past. They're a little bit of a concern about Gus Atkinson as well. Got to be in a bit of doubt for Sydney there. He didn't reappear after injuring his left hamstring mid delivery today, which was a bit of a weird.
Speaker 2: One, it was, yeah, and you'd fear for him playing in Sydney, especially with you know, nothing potentially.
Speaker 3: On the line.
Speaker 2: We know England don't really rate the World Test Championship and also you know they're not going to be playing for that, you know, winning in Australia. The difference between a four to one and a three to two score line is significant in terms of how people look at this going forward, So you know, there are jobs on the line really, so you know, you'd think that they'd want to put their best foot forward there. But yeah, i'd be surprised Atkinson if it looked like what you know, it looked like a handstring strain and that's you know, at least three four weeks. But yeah, a bit of a sour note on what was otherwise, you know, a big moment like Ben Stokes sat where we are right now just you know, a few moments ago, and you know he just said, what what a moment this was for him and Joe Root in particular, two thirty plus guys who have been out here quite a bit like they were back here in twenty thirteen fourteen, the pair of Them'm pretty I think that was roots debut series potentially and maybe Stokes as well. Both you know, showed some glimpses and you know they've played a lot of cricket out here and endured a lot of punishment. That shows a lot of mental resilience to come out here. Yep, thirteen fourteen again seventeen eighteen, sorry just for Root. Stokes missed that series. Then both of them in twenty one, twenty two and had the tough COVID series. You know, there's a lot of demons floating around when you come back to somewhere for a third or a fourth time, and they finally conquered it. So it's good to see. Good to see that for two of the elder Statesmen.
Speaker 1: Before we get into the blow by a blow of the game, big talking point will be the pitch two day test, the second of the series, only the first time that we've had a series with two two day tests since the nineteen hundred, so over one hundred and thirty years since. That pretty remarkable stuff, and it's going to come into question again. We heard the Fox commentators say that there were little indentations left on the pitch which made it extra hard to bat. On day two, there was lots of grass left on a thatchiness that was described as sponginess. Steve Smith described it as when he sat and spoke to us here. So what happens now in this situation, Lou, I mean, obviously the ICC will give it a rating and Cricket Australia will probably ever say as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it will be I'm really interested to hear the mcc side of the story and Funnily enough, they're putting up Matthew Page and Stuart Fox, the curator and CEO respectively tomorrow morning here at the MCG. So you know, Fair played it for getting on the front foot because it was really hard to get on the front foot. Tim on that wicket out there, I mean, you know, interesting comments already. I was interested, said first of all to hear from Steve Smith. The guy's made more than ten thousand Test runs. He's basically said that the way to score on this wicket was about like Harry brook in the first innings, which was forty one or thirty four balls. It was chaos. It was charging Stark first ball. It was hitting sixers over mid off. If a guy who knows batting then better than any of us, says that, you know, like the best batter was probably him, and that's how you should.
Speaker 3: Go about it. Was it a good wicket?
Speaker 2: You know? Stokes said that if this, I think the exact quote was, if this game had been played in a different part of the world, we'd be asking different questions. I'm paraphrasing him there, but he did get us. As a follow up, is the inference there are you talking about? You know Asian pitchers and specifically Indian pitchers, right like every time Australia or England go to India, there's a sense of, you know, these guys are getting stitched up and India are doing something dodgy with a wicket that plays out on every tour over there. And I think that's and that was put to Stokes and he didn't disagree with the with the sentiment. I think he said it was your words, not mine. So he had the opportunity to clarify that.
Speaker 3: And he you know virtually you know, all that kind.
Speaker 2: Of confirm that's what he was saying. So that's that's going to be, you know, the big headline out of the pitch stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I don't think it was like dangerous or disgraceful or absolutely diabolical. It was just a really really hard wicket to bad on against guys bowling good wobble, seeing balls around the top of the stumps.
Speaker 3: It was pretty quick the whole way through.
Speaker 2: There was you know, quite a bit of same movement and a lot of the batters just got balls that they that had their names on it. So yeah, do we you know, I think this is a question our bosses are going to be asking Josh right, like, we've had two two day tests. That's the one in Perth cost five million, cost Cricket Australia five million bucks. I dare say this one will cost the a even more. Given this venue as twice the size of Perth Stadium, they would have sold more tickets Day three was we got ninety two thousand here to onto ninety five thousand yesterday. You know it probably would have got another ninety thousand plus crowd tomorrow day three. So you know, that's a lot of Money's a lot of tickets, a lot of corporate beer's not drunken, a lot of breakfast not eat, and it's a lot of hot chips not sold. So that has ramifications and I think ultimately, you know, Todd Greenberg was on radio today and all but said that they need to do something about it because they can't financially kind of keep having tests like that. That's the uncomfortable truth of it.
Speaker 1: And when you talk about beers not drunk, the Barmy Army do drink more than any other supporter group in the world. And they're on fire at the end of today, especially as England near that total, the pitch seemed to play in England's favorite bit towards the end of the day is the ball softened. I've got a stat here. There were seventeen players and misses in the first twelve overs of England's innings and then only four in the next twenty overs, so they really got to a sage where it was comfortable the crowd could sense that something sure it was going to happen.
Speaker 2: And that's a great stat josh around the seventeen players and misses in the first twelve overs, because one of the interesting things Smith said was that the big difference in this final innings was England hit some massive shots into the led boards and that softened you know, first of the blow of bat on ball, you know, softens the ball a little bit and softens the scene, but also the whack into the led maybe on the fall for that one that Crawley hit off that ball six, and then there was that other one where duck At ramped in for six, kind of scooped him for six. So that takes a big chunk of the ball, that makes it softer, and all of a sudden you're bowling with a softer ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good point.
Speaker 1: And when you have a having the stat here on how many balls per weekend, it was only twenty four balls for every weekent across the Test, which is the second lowest in all ASHES matches.
Speaker 2: Geez.
Speaker 1: So then when they finally when they ball started stopped doing stuff, obviously, it felt like a different game all of a sudden. Let's go back to the start of the day. Australia had a forty six run lead, they were none down and then they just lost clumps of wickets. They lost three for six at one stage, Head quadr and Kerry fell in quick succession. Then they lost four for thirteen to finish their innings, including three for two. When things happened quickly, when things sorry, when things happened, it happened quickly, and Steve Smith was unbeaten at the end twenty four not out of thirty nine deliveries. Didn't decide not to shield the strike from the tail there, even though you know it did happen quickly, But he had looked like he had the chance to decided not to, And maybe that's come back to bite them in the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's undoubtable that if this game was played you know, let's say fifteen years ago, because.
Speaker 3: That's the number one being banning around that.
Speaker 2: This test goes into at least a third day, you know, potentially a fourth because just the way teams game this situation, they kind of go they look at it like Smith just did and go, well, Harry Brook made the or the second highest score in the game, and he badded like an absolute maniac.
Speaker 3: So you know, we should have all done that.
Speaker 2: You know, slog forty off thirty balls, you know that equals a total that's more than two hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: So you know, and that's not always going to come off.
Speaker 2: But I reckon the ball that cast bolt travers head was a really big one because it kind of looked like things it might be settling into a bit of a normal days cricket after bowl and nicks off.
Speaker 3: Early and you've got weather al than head.
Speaker 2: The two supposed to be, you know, whether it was supposed to open with head and would of if not for the weird circumstances.
Speaker 3: But you kind of got those two going.
Speaker 2: Whether it's a leaving a lot of balls, he gets one that nips back into him, and you know, he's pretty unlucky to kind of get a ball like that and.
Speaker 3: Then Marmas goes.
Speaker 2: But then you've got Smith and Head batting together, and Head looked as good as anyone he I think he got kind of stitched up a bit by the long outfield is quite slow, and all those cuts and pools that were going four and six in Adelaide just you know, they were going for threes, and you know they might have been all run fours as well if he wanted to run them, but he wasn't running him that hard. But yeah, so he kind of gets out to this ball that nips, you know, violently off the pitch away from him, casts hits you off bail and I reckon the middle order that followed kind of go, well, if Travis our best better, if he's going to get a ball with his name on it, we need to get one before it gets us. And there was a bit of a carnage that kind of set enough that it was.
Speaker 1: But the England balls got it right. Brun Cass has had plenty of criticism throughout the series three his way we're bowling, but he got things right in the end. Today's final two spells for two for twelve and two for eleven. He finished with four for thirty four, which I think is his best of the series. So far, he's taken nineteen wickets. His strike rate is right up there as well with the best in the series.
Speaker 2: So his strike rate might be one of the best of all times in a series. But he's also gone it before this series was something like five and overs. That's right, Yeah, that's kind of England's philosophy has just get ten wickets at all costs.
Speaker 1: I suppose that's all right Australia by that. For one hundred and thirty two set in England one hundred and seventy five runs to win. As we sort of touched on, they came out all guns blazing. Mitchel Stark probably bold his most way would speller the series. You'd say, a few wide off and a few on the pads as well, and Ben Duckett was able to cash in with a few early wickets and then we saw the pinch hitter, Bright and car so things were happening even when they weren't supposed to be happening.
Speaker 3: Just one of those Test matches alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and interesting reasoning from Stokes. He actually wanted to send Gus Atkinson out there, and then he remembered that he wouldn't be able to bat until the till number eight or until a certain amount of time had elapsed. The ladder was never going to happen, given how quickly this game was moving. So cars gets sent out. I just thought, like obviously made the decision to send in this pinch hitter, probably in anticipation of the duck at Crawley Partnership again not paying off. Well it did this time. They made fifty in as many balls and that were ideal situation for Bethel to kind of come in at. And yeah, we've touched on how well they kind of battered there. I want to go back to Australia's first innings, Josh, because I thought, you know, just kind of going back to when Travis Head gets out, like Kauwhaja Carey Green. I think they all went out in successive over. It was Kowaja He's called a fine leg off tongue carry the next over and then there was a bit of time, but Green put in a bit of I think.
Speaker 3: I'm getting confused with the previous innings when it all happened pretty quickly. I know it's hard to remember, so.
Speaker 1: You did have Travis Head there, so they lost three for six in that period.
Speaker 2: Kwaija Carrey, that's right, yeah, and Kwaja So the Kawaja Carrey Green one three wickets. I'm kind of lumping together because they're all out to I reckon short deliveries or balls that certainly weren't hitting the stump. So Tongue surprises Kawaja with the short ball that he hits down fine league's throat. I don't think he was expecting that, I reckon. He was expecting to get challenged, and all of a sudden, Oh, I got to get something under it, hits it down to fine leg and clever bowling and then Green and carry both balls that they just kind of ended at that they didn't really need to, I think, And I think that goes back to your point before. Could they have Australia found someone to just hang in there with Steve Smith because it didn't look that trouble like, Yes, he played and missed, but it was always controlled right. He was letting the ball seem and misses outside edge.
Speaker 1: It looked like he was in the element today there with all their extra big stuff around, the movements and glances and gestures to the bowler with the scarecrow at one point, So when he does that, you feel like he's on he's in the zone. But yeah, he just wasn't really troubled today.
Speaker 3: It seemed like, yeah, and he just couldn't find someone to hang around with him.
Speaker 2: And I reckon Kerry and Green would be you know, Carry's given a lot to Australia this year, so it's hard to hang him for how he's battered. But Green would kind of be thinking like I could have got to nineteen. He'd faced twenty nine balls, hit a couple of boundaries and all of a sudden, like he's walking at the bowlers and I think it was a ball before he went out, he kind of tripped over himself against Ben Stokes and got in a funny position. He kind of walks at him again, I think, probably trying to gate the wider line. Stukes's coming was coming to him at and just getting outside so he can't be out at LBW. But he kind of threw off his balance and he's ended up throwing his hands at a ball that he didn't really need to. So I think Australia will probably regret that. They will regret how they went about in their first sinnings and here we are.
Speaker 1: The crazy thing is that Australia could potentially make changes again. They've made i think three changes for every test or close to it this series. England, meanwhile, have been pretty you'd say that eleven hasn't changed a whole lot. So it's just funny how the things can play out to spite the score line in the series. And also, i mean this test over in two days a bit of a losshry. You'd say the same with Perth. Both of these could have gone either way. So as much as we want to dissect and put a binary win loss on it, there's probably a bit more to look at, isn't there in terms of how this one will play out leading into Sydney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, Like you go back to Perth and that's one on the bat of one player. You know, Apart from that, the two teams were incredibly Even if if England somehow snag will win there, then it just looks so different going to Brisbane. Yeah, they probably still lose under lights because Australia just play those conditions way better. But yeah, then it's you know, it's too all if they if they'd won that because we'd be coming in you know, Adelaide. I think Australia still win that. If you get Pack Cummins and Nathan line Back on that wicket, you're not losing too many games. So imagine that it could have been too all heading into heading into Sydney, that would have that might have made up for any short form. Let's see I had lost in of course of two two day tests.
Speaker 1: So the fifth Test will start at the SCG on January fourth. Was meant to be a five day breaks now an eight day break for the players, so pretty good they'll be happy with that. I think, all things considered, what are we expecting changes wise, if anything? Or is it a bit too early to speculate on that.
Speaker 2: No, well it's early enough that you kind of go will Stark and Bowland to have played every game in this series so far, it's a rare it is a fast bowler to play five consecutive Tests.
Speaker 3: You know they can probably do it now eight day break.
Speaker 2: That goes back to what do we have you know, nine ten day breaks between the first and second Test and the second and third Test, so they've essentially got that again.
Speaker 3: I think the Perth to Adelaide might.
Speaker 2: Have ended up so the Perth to Brison might have ended up being like twelve days to give them the two day tests there. So yeah, you're back then to kind of to get right. And then Nissa. I thought he bowled pretty well and he batted very well in the first innings. I don't think you look at changing that. You know, it's probably going to be Murphy v. Richardson again for that last spot unless they want to. Unless they want to do a Murphy v. Nissa and keep gie, that'll be an interesting one. Like you know what Smith said before about how easy He basically said spin was the easiest thing to face on this wicket, so why would you bowl it?
Speaker 3: That's a revealing insight.
Speaker 2: So if you get another green seema in Sydney, people love talking about you know, you played two spinners in Sydney and it's a it's a turning haven.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, teams you know that.
Speaker 2: I think the India Test last year was was an absolute rager for seam bowl as that is, and you know, you presume something quite similar kind of occur this year than the batting perspective. Yeah, green another you know another tough Test that it would be hard to hang him for that, just given you know, it's a really tough batting wicket. Labushane, you know, I think he's his averages dipped below twenty five for the series and then Weather, I guess they're there. There are probably three question marks in the in the top order. You've got English there, he didn't shoot the lights out when he had the chance and uh and Webs is kind of the one who who made his debut in this equivalent test, this Sydney Test last year. Do you look at him over at Green or one of the other top order guys, so they'd be all the questions I reckon kind of circling for Australia.
Speaker 3: Lots to wrap up.
Speaker 1: This has been the recap from Day two, the final day of the Melbourne Test match. Here in the twenty twenty five Ashes series. Will catch you ahead of the next Test with hopefully an update ahead of that final match and have a great new year. And this has been another edition of the Unlabeled Podcast.