Speaker 1: Hello, Peter Helly. He welcome to you Ain't seen nothing yet the Movie Podcast. We're our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests comedian Mike Goldstein, all below. I want to stay here with you.
Speaker 2: He's the jobble my hate sneake sucked.
Speaker 1: Hi hail, They couldn't haven't any right now?
Speaker 3: You ain't seen nothing.
Speaker 1: Mike Goldstein is not in Kansas anymore. Yes, Mike is becoming one of my favorite Americans. He moved out here years ago. I'm not even sure exactly what brought him me. If it was love or if it was to pursue comedy outside of America in Australia why not. But Mike has been absolutely dominating the local scene. He is a razor sharp, his edgy, his funny audiences. You would have seen him on TV on shows like Tonightly Hughesy We have a problem. But more recently, over the last couple of years, he's been killing it on the one hundred with Andy Lee. It's a really fun show. Audiences loving it. It's back for us like fourth or fifth season, and Mike is I guess a team captain or he's on at least every second week. Him and Sophie Monk share the duties, and I had the opportunity to do an episode within recently which will be out in the future, and it was just great fun hanging out with him. He's a comic that I've watched a lot, and we've been backstage a bit, but I haven't really had a lot of time to genuine hangs, so I'm looking forward to this. He has a podcast called The Phone Hacks, which we might discuss a little bit later on because I was involved inadvertently in one of his episodes. But Mike is a big movie fan, so I'm looking forward to this. He, like I said, is razor sharp. He's a real comedy joke writer. Like he's a real craftsman with his stand up and I'm stoked to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody, my name is Mike Goldstein, and my three favorite films are The Thing You Tie upon Rober.
Speaker 3: Here, we're gonna draw a little bit of everybody's blood. We're going to find out who's the thing. Watching Norris and There gave me the idea of it. Maybe every part of him was a whole. Every little piece is an individual animal with a built in desire to protect its own life. You see, when a man bleeds, it's just tissue, my blood from one of you things on to bay when it's attacked.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to survive, uh far ago.
Speaker 5: I'd be very surprised if I suspect was from Brainerd. Yeah, and I tell you what from his footprint, he looks like a big fella.
Speaker 1: You see something down there, Chief, No, I just think I'm gonna burw jeez you okay, Margie, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm fine, it's just morning sickness.
Speaker 2: Well that passed and back to the future.
Speaker 6: When this baby hits hedy a b prour here we got to see some serious ship.
Speaker 4: Up until this week, I had never seen the Big Chill.
Speaker 1: That you want.
Speaker 6: How wonder.
Speaker 1: I'll chose to make yes. Rarely has a movie been so entwined with its soundtrack as nineteen eighty three's The Big Chill from the opening chords of Marvin Gaye's timeless classic, I heard it through the grapevine. We feel in safe hands. Seven college friends are reunited under somber circumstances in South Carolina after their friend Alex's suicide. Alex played by young Kevin Costner in the performance that was completely cut from the finished film. What follows is a weekend of sex, drugs, and motown, as well as facing up to the people they have become and wondering if the younger, more idealistic selves would forgive them. Yes, adulthood is fun. Fresh off riding a couple of sleeper indie hits, namely The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost, Dark Rider and Now, director Lawrence Kasden gets more personal here, and he gets to do so with a stellar cast Glenn Close, who nabbed the film's only Oscar nomination, Kevin Klein, William Hurt, Jeff Goldblue, Mary kay Place, Tom Berenger, and Joe Beth Williams. The Big Chill somehow remains delightful despite its grim subject matter. Mike Goldstein, you're an American? You grab in America? Did you grow up on reruns of J T. Lancer?
Speaker 4: I mean, I did appreciate the magnum Pi reference to this. I have a shitty mustache, as you can say, and that is definitely a magnum Pi influenced and I wish you know, JT Lancer seemed like the more hedonistic magnum p. I yes, and so I mean if we had J T. Lancer, I would have been watching the shit.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would still watch J T. Lancer. If they want to make a reboot JD. Lancer, I am here for it. Mike, Thanks for joining us this podcast. You know you just say this at the end of country fimement. You've watched a film for us, And thanks for making the time out of your busy schedule doing gigs, your own podcasts, but are recording one hundred. It's all going on for my Cal's thing. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: The Big Chili is such an American film, even though it's very universal. Why hadn't you seen it?
Speaker 4: It's just one of those ones that slipped by, Like I'd seen the other ensemble eighties movies, saying Elmo's Fire Breakfast Club, this one maybe eighty three was a little too far.
Speaker 2: Back from me. And I knew my old man loves this film.
Speaker 1: Right, It's a much loved film, this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And to him, I think it was like his Avengers. You know, It's like all these huge actors at the time like covering a other and you know, like it's it's very dialogue heavy, and he was, you know, always I knew he loved this, he raved about it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I was only born in eighty so like I was not provy to it, and I knew of the insane Kevin Costner thing, so that always like piqued my interest. And it's just like I do love eighties movies, as you can tell by one of my picks. And yeah, I just feel like I do like an ensemble film and this one had just been a glaring omission and that.
Speaker 1: Well it was a glaring omission for me as well. I'd never seen I was so thrilled when you suggested this because I mean, I mean I've almost watched it on my own time. Yeah, and I still could have easily done that obviously, And I had done an occasion with movies that I wanted to see, but I thought, I'm going to wait till somebody picks this. Yeah, it is loom large in my mind because people do connect with this film. I think there is there is a palet in this film. That is how we both feel about it, particularly you because you've watched it for the first time and being a bit younger than my good self. See how it hits for you. Let's talk about your three favorite films, good films. The Thing is a beauty. I'm not sure if the Thing has come up in our three favorite films it should.
Speaker 4: I think it was on the list that you sent me. And then in one of my emails back, I said, if anyone hasn't seen the Thing, they can't claim to like movies.
Speaker 1: That's what I love about this podcast. Yeah, people have like violent reactions to their favorite things.
Speaker 4: Well, the fact that Nick Cody hadn't seen Back to the Future, it's ridiculous. And he dresses like Marty mcclyd. He wears a vest all the time. And I see Hi mc ggigs and I'm like, you, Marty mcly look a dipshit And he's like, oh, I only just watched it. I'm like, what, how the hell did that miss you? You know, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Judith Lushy like grew up, you know, Catholicism, hanging up. It almost became a nun. She's a Sinophile. Yeah, and she'd never seen the sound of music like that. This made no sense to me, So it is I think that's the hidden superpower of this these podcast is it's like you were always like the reaction when I say I could say to somebody, Mike als is coming into the big Chill. What they'll have a movie that they haven't seen that's surprising. But do you think that, well, we'll get into don't think the big chills out there in the future. I think I think Cody's Cody and Judith Flushy and Sam Pang would never seen the Castle whilst working with the people who made the castle. They're the clubhouse leaders.
Speaker 4: As far as he should be fired from work and dog he's just for that.
Speaker 1: Reason he should and and and the logies.
Speaker 2: Well, we all saw the monologue.
Speaker 1: I Love you Sam Nable again two from two two and two. Let's tell what you three films out So the thing about the thing, So it's a cracker.
Speaker 2: It's the best.
Speaker 4: It's like an absolute master class and paranoia and tension and uh, practical effects, everything about it. I mean just you know, it's sci fi and horror and Kurt Russell I think career best performance. I I can't really fault anything about the movie at all. And then I was thinking, because you know, on the way up here. I was like, Oh, I knew you're gonna ask three favorite films. And I was like, what if I threw you a curveball? And I was like, Oh, it's actually the twenty and eleven thing that I.
Speaker 1: Love Legend and Mary Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Wednesday, Yeah, like that one. And I'm like, I'm like, I don't even know there was an older one.
Speaker 1: I saw that. I think we may have had to watch it for the interview on TV or radio. Yeah, didn't mind. It did not mind. Like I thought it was a reasonable remake.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, I just think, you know, there's the nostalgia movies that they're trying to milk, you know, like the Point Break remake, Like just if you were that guy that were like, oh, the Point Break remakes is better, but the thing itself is.
Speaker 2: A remake, right I think you're right, yes, yeah, yes.
Speaker 4: So that's the middle one because I think there was a like nineteen fifties version of the thing.
Speaker 1: It's a bit like I think people work that out when the probably the thing was really oh there was another thing. It's like a star is born. Yeah, you know, like it was not like the fourth time that films we.
Speaker 4: May Yeah, exactly. So the Yeah, to me, one of the best scenes of all time is the blood testing scene and the thing I think the most tense, and yeah, the acting in it is amazing. And then obviously the creature whened the head gets decapitated and it sprouts you know, iraqnet legs amazing, right, And I think I saw that for the first time when I was twelve year right, and that's just burned into Mysachi.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And isn't it going to see Kurt Russell have a bit of a renaissance, you know, over the last ten years or so, like going back to probably Django Unchained. I think he probably reappeared or he seemed to repeat. Yeah, hbo. You know, I mean obviously these actors don't listen to this podcast, but yeah, you're working on a lot of movies. It just went went hitting. Oh yeah, he was in Tarantino and then he winning back also for once by the time in Hollywood. It's just it's just good. Yeah, it's Michael Keaton, those actors in the eighties that kind of hit big in the eighties maybe lost their way for what reasons, and then getting their chances again.
Speaker 2: Oh death Proof.
Speaker 4: He was amazing and then then you know he got folded into the Marvel universe as the Dad in Guardians of.
Speaker 2: The Galaxy, the second one, that's right. Yeah, yeah, so yeah he has.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's always been one of my favorite actors, Like, you know, John Carpenter also did Escape from New York, Escape.
Speaker 2: From La Snake Pliskin, Pilskin plisket, plis getting well snake plisket, snake snake. We know snake, you know, of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so to me, yeah, he's always been top five probably favorite actors. And then everyone in the in the thing is just like delivers every aspect of it. And the fact that you know, the twenty eleven one relies heavily on CGI, whereas you know, you see practical effects and you're like that so much better.
Speaker 1: It's something directors when they use practical effects, whether it's Christopher Nolan, you know, like they will go on and then I'll try to make the and yes, you can get away with special effects that look really genuine and when you're watching it you won't even maybe notice on a conscious lebel but there's something self conscious about that experience of seeing practical effects used.
Speaker 4: Oh amazing, Like and just last night I saw the new alien movie Romulus. Ah, right, and they go back there's still some CGI, but they go back to like a dude in a rubber suit, and I'm like that rules. Yeah, it's amazing, you know, because that's what I mean, Alien and the Aliens what we kind of grew up on, you know, seeing that chair and so the fact that he's thrown it back to you know, the face huggers or little practical puppets and stuff. There is still the mix of CGI.
Speaker 2: But I was just like that blew me away. I was like, thank god, Well.
Speaker 1: What I liked about the more recent Star Wars sequels, Yeah, and I was more into it than you know, some people were. J Abrams is practical effects again, and even in the Mandalorian, you know your Grogus, you know you can see it's a practical it's a puppet, you know, it's you know, I think there's an electronic city somewhere, but he's there on set. And there's something good about.
Speaker 4: Real fans has Grogu instead of Baby Yoda. Hell yeah, deep.
Speaker 1: Sorry sorry, I mean if you don't know, he's not Baby Yoda. By now, let's talk about Fargo very surprisingly, we're about one hundred and sixty odd episodes into this podcast and the Ca'm Brothers have not come up enough for mine. In fact, I'm not even sure if we've covered one. I'm not sure if people are embarrassed that they to put their hand up and say, I haven't seen you know, a Fargo or a czy country. Yeah.
Speaker 4: That that infuriates me because I could have gone top three all Coen Brothers. Yeah, to be honest, I mean, I did an Honor's Arts degree because I you know, I have no other skills, and in the Honor's Arts agree. It's before I did a lot of degree. I wrote a dissertation on a genre theory and the Coen Brothers, basically because I wanted to spend a year just watching the Coen Brothers movies and not doing anything else. And my dissertation absolute dogshit.
Speaker 2: By the way, I think it's like they buried it.
Speaker 1: But it must be. It must be hard, I think, to write about the Coen Brothers because they share very little about what they think their films is about, which I thinks can be infuriating, but also I kind of love it because it's their work is open to interpretation. Yeah, sometimes I get impression that they're not as much into that idea of everything means something like this is just like this esthetically works, this, this is we like this because it's funny. Yeah, and everyone's trying to like work at every little detail.
Speaker 4: I know, but there is that's the thing, so much subtext in all of their films, and you're like, you know inside Lewin Davis, I watched again recently.
Speaker 1: It's an underrated film.
Speaker 4: Amazing A serious man like I watched a couple of weeks ago and I was like, this is.
Speaker 2: So much better than I felt after first watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I was watching it and you know, after No Country and Fargo, Barton Fink, you know I should have watched. You know, Lady Killers are intolerable cruelty.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what they I think one of the most underrated films is is Burn. After reading I think definitely maybe their funniest film. I think I have it funnier than The Big Lebowski. Yeah, I just think I think it's George Clooney and his funniest Yeah. I think he's brad pitted, he's funniest. Franz mcdoin's always great everyone's just so Malkovich Malcovich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's great in it, and I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to have to google him again. But who's who's the guy who's you know, the shape of Ward. I'm gonna have Richard, Oh Jenkins Jenkins, of course, Richard Jenkins is so good.
Speaker 2: He's so good. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing, like there's Coen Brothers movies that have flown under the radar, like Billy Bob Thornton was never better than Man who Wasn't There? Yeah, which was kind of like a big part of the you know, the genre of the film noir thing, and I kind of used it and that in Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing, which again, I mean, we could just talk Coen Brothers if you want.
Speaker 1: We haven't made with a cam brother film that you actually did nominate being far, but any film I think with the Coen Brothers that I've watched when it was released and was underwhelmed by, like you did with A Serious Man, if you come back to it later on, maybe you were in the red headspace, maybe you went ready for it. Yeah, but I suspect, like Lady Killers, I must say, didn't you know and it's I sense it's not one of their best.
Speaker 4: No, I think there's zany comedy stuff like Intolerable Cruelty and what was the Hail Caesar? Yeah yeah, those ones just don't really hurt for me the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a bit the same. Where brother, where at? Now? I that's come up a couple of times in people's favors. Actually that again, I think when when Clooney overplays comedy, it's jarring to me, you know, But I think we've been after reading For whatever reason, he just he found there.
Speaker 4: There was something about a super handsome guy trying to be funny. I'm like, stay in your lane, dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can I mark you? Shimmering eyes? What smile?
Speaker 2: But Fargo?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think every frame of that movie is just masterful. And I grew up in Kansas, and the phrase for that, the kind of the night it's called Minnesota ice. Right, this kind of you're outwardly polite and you know, very gregarious, but like there is a passive aggressiveness to it. And so that's a Midwest thing, right, That's it's Minnesota and ice. I know the phrase, but I in Kansas, you see that a shit on as well. Right, and so that kind of demeanor like really struck a chord with me. Again, the performances Francis McDorman, will each Macy and oh Pashimi, yeah, Peter Stormyer, just every the whoever plays the Dad character. The scene that I've argued about the most with people is the Mike Yanagita scene where Francis mcdormant meets an old friend.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And people are like, why is it in the movie, Yes, and it's to me it's perfect.
Speaker 1: Well, I've thought about that scene a lot as well. Yeah, and that's what I like about the Caen Brothers, where we want to have this scene because we just like this scene. Yeah, and then it does inform character. Uh huh. It's not completely waste, but because it's not plot necessary for the plot, Yeah, I think people it jars with some people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But then to me, now that I've watched it so many times, I think her character has a slight shift. She's more cynical after that scene and goes back and interviews Jerry Lundergard and she's more not willing to accept him at face value, and so there's a shift in her demeanor and her investigative work post the Mike Yanagita conversation interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the scene that I always again I love as well. And there's so many great scenes in this and it was exciting. I started in the cinema and it's exciting. I think I Risable Dogs comes out before this. I think, yeah, so Steve Ashimil seen Steve Machini before. I'm trying to think of how much of Frances McDormand. I would have seen Frants mcdawnds Missippi Burning, so I would have actually seen her because I love that movie. I think we make Macy was new to me, so it felt like either I was watching people I didn't know particularly well, or I'd kind of forgotten about and or new people. This felt like this, This town felt very real to me. He wasn't filled with movie stars. And the scene when we match Macy's character is Jerry is he's getting frustrated and he's trying to get the ice of his windscreen and that's the moment that makes him crack. And I think that is so true to life that we don't explode necessarily in those moments that we think, oh, hang on, you've just been told this horrible thing. When you explode you explode, you know, when you can't get the door open in the house with the key won't go, you know, the shopping burst bag bursts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, such a perfect just character moment. I mean, he just delivers an amazing performance and that and the scenes with her and him obviously stand out. But yeah, you're right, the BUSHEMI storm are Like, it's just the combinations of characters in that movie just make it just crackle the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right to me.
Speaker 4: The juxtaposition of the two marriages where it's William H. Macy Jerry lounderguard, yeah, trying to you know, get his wife kidnapped, and then the pure marriage of Marge Gunderson and her husband, and that just like, Okay, there's the most pure, amazing marriage and then the most evil, fucked up. It just sets it off and it drives everything. Yeah, just yeah, And I love the bullshit. This is based on a true story. You start, yeah, and then I.
Speaker 1: Think the first that I'm aware of who'd done that, and they just went yeah yeah, with a fucking com brothers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the myth is is that some like Japanese tourists died looking for the money, like went out into the frozen tundra of you know, northern Minnesota looking for the money and died of exposure. So they have blood on their hands for that.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, right.
Speaker 1: That is not I had no idea that happened. Yeah, I want to watch that movie again, and I've seen it many times. I love Fargo, a movie I've seen many, many, many times, even more than Fargo. He's Back to the Future. We mentioned it earlier because Nick Cody had never seen it before. What's Before our podcast live at the Melmanney National Comedy Festival. It's a perfect film.
Speaker 4: It is everything I mean, the defining movie of my childhood, probably yours.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I think we watched the VHS so many times, like the tape would burnout and we'd have to buy a new one.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 4: Even the sequel holds up for me, maybe in a more of a nostalgic sense.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I have a hoverboard at my apartment, you know, that's pride of place. I only just like, like I follow back to the future pages on socials, you know, where they throw little titbits and facts at you. And I only just realized that Christopher Lloyd was forty six when he played Doc Brown for the first time.
Speaker 1: Occasional I'll see Christopher Lloyd in approaching I.
Speaker 4: Really yeah, he was like the quintessential old man. Yeah, it's like and then forty six, I'm like, so what four years older than I am? Now I was like, that's not that's.
Speaker 1: That's a great I am three years older than Doc. Yeah, that is amazing as wild.
Speaker 4: Right, So yeah, just a I can't hear Huey Lewis. So, I mean, I don't know how often I listen to Huey Lewis, but obviously when I do, it triggers all the you know, memories, and it's so he's so tied to that movie. And I was a little skape rat as well as a kid, so even the skateboarding and it like stood out for me.
Speaker 1: You know, I wasn't I was never good on the skateboard. Right, It comes as a shock I'm sure for many people, but that sequence is perfect. Like as a kid, you kind of go, how cool manure? Is that the new the Spark's coming off? Yeah, But just so like the details the things you learn in that opening sequence when before a word he's been said, but Mardy goes to doctor apartment and that you know, there's the news and obviously he's an inventor and he's missing, and it's all these all these amazing things that you find out, and that continues all the way through and nothing's forced. You know, sometimes it feels it's like a gag that comes back later on and it's it's it's it means something, you know. And Michael J. Fox, he was him and Ted Dance and growing up to me were like, that's how you act. Yeah, the kind of naturalness of their styles, both in Family Ties and Cheers and in their subsequent movies, just as like that's if I was to get to act, that's how I kind of want to act.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where do you think that movie would say? If Eric Staltz had played Michael J. Fox or Marty McFly.
Speaker 1: I suspect it would still be good because the plot and the and the filmmaking is still very good. Yeah, it may not. This may not be quite as good. I think it's to be very good, not as iconic. No, Michael Eric Steltz apparently saw it as a darker, more serious, dramatic movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because they shot scenes with them and they're like, this isn't working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, getting acted.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's such a good big movie if you get acted and yeah, everyone look, that's the one that everyone knows and everyone speaks about.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's the most famous recasting.
Speaker 4: It must be, right, especially if they're in filming and then they boot them and get someone else in.
Speaker 2: It has to be.
Speaker 1: And then he knocks it so far out of the park.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In Eric stets defense, they did want Michael J. Fox before and he was just not Family Ties will not release him. Yeah, and then they did and he was working on Family Ties during the day and back to the Future at night. I think the scene in the the More when they the time machine and the Libyans come, that was the first his first day of shooting. It's not a shooting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's amazing. And then I mean, if they remake this, I think Zamacus has had under no circumstances will he allow them to remake it, right, But I think if they do, it'll be sacrilege, right because you can't, Yeah, you can't do anything. And if it's a sequel, it'll be bad.
Speaker 2: I don't know. And Okay, back to Fargo.
Speaker 4: The TV show paid off for me because the TV show wasn't a remake. It was just in this kind of universe. Yeah, And the first two seasons are amazing at Fargo, right, and it pays tribute to there's so many Easter eggs for Cohen brother fanatically that it's just like made for me. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So, I mean I didn't mind Fargo as a TV show, but I think back to the future, if they ever redo it, it'll be it'll be awful.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I was going to and we will. We'll get to it later because we're going to move on to the movie feature movie. Let's just talk about you make a pretty compelling case not to move on to The Big Chill, but I do want to. But I'm going to ask you whether, and this might become a regular question almost a segment, is would you sequel the movie or reboot it? And how would you do it? We might get to that later for the Big Chill. But let's get in to the movie. We are here to talk about pretty strong stuff.
Speaker 7: Feel terrible.
Speaker 8: Last time I spoke with Alex, yeah, a fight, I yelled, That's probably why I killed himself.
Speaker 1: We designed we were what was the argument about?
Speaker 7: I told him he was wasting his life.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mike Goldstein, you can talk about your favorite films all you like. I'm gonna make you talk about the film I made you watch during the week N three Lawrence Kasden, starring an impeccable cast Tom Berenger, Glen Close, Jeff Goldbloom, William Kevin Kleine, amongst others. Directed by the Great Lawrence Kasden. Did you enjoy nine in eighty three's The Big Chill.
Speaker 2: Like Look?
Speaker 4: I watched it like twice because I wanted to fully do that often with movies, watch it once for like an entertainment superficial level, and then watch it again to analyze and soak it in. And on first viewing, I was like, this is a soundtrack in search of a movie, right, It just seemed like an excuse to play all these classic songs. And then on second viewing there was more that I appreciated in terms of setting up characters. The lack of exposition was great. You know, they kind of like leave it up to the viewer to piece things together. I don't think dialogue is Lawrence Casten's specialty.
Speaker 1: He's come from a galaxy file file away, and he's not respected at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Raiders of Lost Arc. So he's doing these huge, like archetypal set piece action you know, sci fi movies, and then he did this quiet, little ensemble piece.
Speaker 1: Almost. I do like a love of the dollar in this movie. Yeah, I think there is. I mean it's really about you know, hip, he's becoming yuppies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's why my old man loved it, you know, like because I think to boomers it probably strikes a chord. And then to me, it would be fascinating if like, in another fifteen years they meet up again. There's a sequel The Big Chill too, still chilling, and it's like where are they at now? And then they just probably own all the property and you know, are much more self centered than they are in this movie.
Speaker 1: What brings him together?
Speaker 4: That in the sequel, would you would think William Hurt's character would be the next dead one?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, tough one though, because he uh, he's one of the better characters. I think, Yeah, interesting.
Speaker 4: And I did like that his character as soon as he's introduced, he's doing coludes in the car and I love that introduction of the characters. All you know, hearing about the death arriving at the funeral and also unpacking their suitcase, like great little moments to set up who they are.
Speaker 1: I think every shot in this movie tells you something that's what I like about, even if it's of an object or a place, and that I agree. The opening I think is phenomenal, just good strong filmmaking, is not too much exposition like you've you've mentioned, and just getting into it. And this movie is a little bit of halftime, you know, a bit of the song Jeremiah was a bullfrog. Kevin Klein with his kid, who's I think Jonathan Kasten, the son of I think I wrote a solo I think.
Speaker 2: With didn't cut him out.
Speaker 1: Because there's a couple of his wife's in it. He's another kid who asked for Sam for his autograph. That's another Kasdin and Stewardess is his wife Meg, who helped with the music as well. And then a phone call, not even going close. I love it when filmmakers and day I'm not sure what coverage they get on the day, but don't have they have the courage just stay back and let the scene play out, and it's then close, Sarah taking the phone call, hanging up and then she just comes with teas in her eyes, nothing said, and you hear that music. I would say about the music, I know what you mean, Like there are so many hits in this movie, but I feel like it does service the story. Yeah, you could put score in here, yeah, but I feel like, like the Rolling Stones one, he's maybe the best example of Karen gets up and sing you performs on the organ, yeah, one of his favorite, Alex's favorite songs, which is you can't always get what you want Rolling Stones and the pall Bearers all come out, load up the coffin and then eventually goes into the Rolling Stones version.
Speaker 4: And plays the whole song out yeah. Yeah, which is a great thing where even the Marvin Gaye song Grapevine at the start like plays all the way through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you don't see that.
Speaker 1: That would I'd love to know their budget, yeah said, this is not a big budget of the movie.
Speaker 4: He had that Sweet Star Wars money, so you can buy the rights to it. And I mean, all the songs are great. I think it's the first time I've heard credence in a non Vietnam movie, you know, or a war movie of that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: So even when you hear Credence, You're like, oh yeah, like it doesn't have to be used purely for Vietnam ship.
Speaker 1: You know, I think credence. I remember playing a I think it was Carry a bit more. Actually, I said, I was driving home one day and I said, for some reason, we got on the Credence because Carry's got these partial to some you know, some shed in modern music as well. She works in the Commission radio station, but she likes older music as well. And I said, do you like Credence? And I'm always I think I've done this to a few people. When that when is that rolling through creatence clean water revival songs? Yeah, people minds are blown by how many songs they actually do recognize. Oh yeah, they are any incredible and I think they're goind of get left behind in some of the discussions that we have about the great band of that era. Of course, what I loved about the Swing with Vietnam is how I thought William Hurt's character.
Speaker 2: Oh true, so there is a Vietnam connection.
Speaker 1: There is a Vietnam. But I like that they didn't make it about that.
Speaker 4: No, but explain to me, because I was trying to figure it out. Did he like ruin his dick. Dick, Yeah, in Vietnam.
Speaker 1: It is a blink and you'll miss it kind of detail.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he like starts explaining it and then it cuts away, and then she starts shrieking, which is a nice little gag, you know, and then because there's a bat in the upstairs room. But like it was just like, yeah, I almost just like want to find out what happened.
Speaker 2: To this dude's dick.
Speaker 1: That's a prequel.
Speaker 4: The Little Chill, Yeah, so that you know, and then it gets referenced, I think later when the character who's trying to get pregnant or no, that wasn't that. But then again, I think it comes up with Alex's young girlfriend. He mentioned something about my junk doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and there's there's a lot of details that would feel like big details in any other film. Yeah that if you're not paying attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the first time, for some reason, I missed the idea that Sarah Glenn Close had had an.
Speaker 2: Affair yeah with Alex really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so when they're running, it all gets kind of explained. Yeah, it's William Hurton and Kevin Klein, Harold and Nick and yeah, he says it was five years earlier and they had to work through it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, she clearly, out of all the characters, seems the most devastated by the loss of Alex Right. Yeah, and even like some of the Tonal chefs, Like there's a scene she's crying in the shower naked, you know, about the last and then it just cuts to them, you know, dancing around the table, and I guess that's kind of the point, you know, like we suppressed grief and act out in different ways. But just for me, tonally, I was like Jesus, you know, she's experienced this loss and then they're all just like making solid and dancing and you know, I don't know, I just to me, the shifts were a little jarring sometimes, But.
Speaker 1: I what I liked is it rang Did it feel truly like first I believed they felt like a bunch of friends, like college friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They did a really good job, and apparently Lawrence Kassen had a few weeks with them where they lived in the house and they cooked and they played music together and they sometimes eventually was all being character. Yeah, So they arrived on set the film with a good feeling for each other. They've gone to college. For while, I had to work at how old they were. Yeah, I was like, is this an American thing where the ages are a bit skewy but they are like thirty yeah, yeah, and we is I think roughly the age they all are, So the ages are all right, But I yeah, I do think they all feel like college friends. And then I was trying to track should they be more devastated, like because there is like humor from the get go, Like there's jokes at the funeral. I mean, going close actually makes you know, the biggest joke about the funeral We specialize in in you know, funerals for people who killed themselves in their bathtub. Yeah, but what's great about it? She didn't, says did Why did I say?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is a moment of immediate reflection. Yeah, oh god, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So but I was trying to you know, I was curious to chat you about did they feel devastated enough or is the point is they didn't really know Alex Yeah, which Nick makes that point of like we'd let go of him years ago, right.
Speaker 4: Because there's been fifteen years since they're all together, so.
Speaker 2: They've all moved on.
Speaker 1: So I do kind of suspect that they wouldn't be necessarily completely shattered as you would if a friend who you're in constant contact with, yeah, does this. And I'm not sure if you've been close to this kind of incident as as aside goes. I been like, I don't you know, we had awake, you know, and there was certainly a celebration and humor, but outside of that, yeah, I don't think there was a lot of you know, fun. Yeah, but I think with the time that's passed, it feels kind of right, I think.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: I mean I've been through a similar circumstance and yeah, there is gallows humor with any of that, and especially as comics, you know, like you want to cut through the tension by making a joke, right, And I think that's built into the script of this film. And all the actors are great. I mean, like I said, you know, my Dad's Avengers movie, because you're getting like huge stars of the time together, William Hurt, Tom Berenger, Kevin Klein. You know, the fact I didn't realize, I mean, I know we'll get to it probably in more detail, but the fact that Kevin Costner, who to me is the hugest star to come out of this movie. It's never shown do you see him? You just see his body.
Speaker 1: So for a while I was like, who was the guy in the suit, So it's the idea. Do you think that he's getting made up for the coffin?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's not open Caska. Do you ever see him at all?
Speaker 1: And there's been a lot of pressure from fans to release the Costner version.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is the flashbacks.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, So the last scene was going to be got a long scene. I think it's the first scene they shot of then younger with Alex there, but they kind of thought they couldn't. Alex is raised and put on this pedestal throughout the whole movie that they didn't think they could do it justice by showing one scene of him, like the job was already done.
Speaker 4: And I guess Kevin Carser at the time wasn't like a huge He wasn't.
Speaker 1: He wasn't and Lorence Caven felt bad about it so gave him the lead in Silverado. Yeah, but yeah, he he He kind of explodes with Bullderham, I think afterwards and the Untouchables and.
Speaker 4: Filled the dreams all dreams so yeah, to me, it did ring true.
Speaker 2: I'll say this.
Speaker 4: The character identified with the most was Jeff Goldbloom as a creepy why Why, as a wise cracking jew that no one wants to sleep with.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, yeah, I got that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, let's just stay on Jeff gold I'm happy to come back to Jeff Goldlin if you want. If you want to make another point, yeah, when he starts hitting on Chloe Yeah, played by make Tilly.
Speaker 4: The I was looking at her and I was going, God, she looks like Jennifer Tilly.
Speaker 2: She reminds me. And then then I looked up her name.
Speaker 1: And I was like, sister, so amazingly similar. Yeah, I think she's great. She also gives us this outside of his view of what's going on.
Speaker 4: Her lines are amazing, like, uh, the I don't talk about my past as much as you people do. And it's like yeah, because it's all they're doing is, you know, reminiscing as friends do. And that is a great perspective because if you get together with an old group of friends, anyone like a new partner or someone is like, it's so boring to them. Yeah, they're so unhappy.
Speaker 1: See one generation judging another generation, yeah as well. And you know she has that line where she says, you know, I don't hang out with I don't hang enough. I don't hang out with enough happy people, so I don't know how they really behave. Yeah, you know, and even her interludes and her just laughs loudly when the tension that Nick brings into the amazing line.
Speaker 4: Like one of my favorite lines was the one she goes, oh, I wanted to ride in the limo and she's talking about.
Speaker 2: The hearse or the corpses.
Speaker 4: It's like that perspective is it saying like someone going, oh, I wish I could be in the limo, It's like you don't want to be in the hearse.
Speaker 1: That's saying is this? And then that's said, He's so perfectly written nothing because you got that kind of the weirdness like everyone. I think, I think quite catch I actually watched it a couple of times. I couldn't quite catch what Glen Close said when they said how long has it been going out for? I watched it was like four weeks or four months. Yeah, I couldn't quite catch it. Unfortunately, it would be good detail to know. Yeah, but she's new to all of them, then new to her, and she's still at the limo, and then Jeff Gold creepy, Creepy Michael says, oh, you know, I write in quite a few limos, and he explains that he writes for People magazine. You know pretty quickly that that's not what he wants to of course, you know, that was his dream destination. And then it flicks over to Sam tom Berenger and he's talking about, you know, how he acts, and Jeff Goblin kind of sniggers a little bit at that, so you can see that it's not the TV show that he wants to be making either. Yeah, and it's just so it's it's I think it's really definitely done well.
Speaker 4: So I thought, yeah, definitely with those characters. But my biggest problem would be some of the female characters, like the one the lady who just wants to have a baby, that's her driving motivation.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, And then.
Speaker 1: They sounds like a weird thing to be tackling at the weekend of a funeral.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean you've seen that trump before where some death begets life, you know what I mean. Like, so it's like, oh, it's the cycle. But then my partner watched when I watched the first run of this movie, she watched with me, and when Glenn Close says I want my husband to sleep with you to provide you with the child, my partner yelled, Oh, fuck off, because it's like so unsettling, and it's you know what I mean, Like, it's just so gross al must.
Speaker 1: It's a weaken You've been very emotional. Yeah, why not take a few days to think about it?
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's so weird and I don't know, it's it's foreshadowed a bit like Kevin Klein jumps on the couch and that lady wants to get pregnant rubbing his feet and she's wearing the clothes of the wife even you know. And then yeah, the fact they're sex scene is like so uncomfortable to me. He's like deep eye contact and he's just slowly grinding away. And yeah, so my partner's responsible.
Speaker 2: Fuck off.
Speaker 4: When that you know, plot twist or whatever you want to call it happened, I felt that because I was like, yeah, it just feels forced and weird and unsettling in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand you want to you want to have a payofficer. Things need to be happening in people's lives, and I can understand why that idea comes up, but I agree it felt a little bit icky and also the kind of thing where you go, do you regret that a week later, a month later, when the baby's born, you know, I know they all happy that the next morning.
Speaker 4: Oh, she's going to be coming after the stocks and that company.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, the shoe company exactly.
Speaker 4: He's Kevin Cline's character has got this huge, you know, business deal going on, and he's given people insider trading advice. The kids better get a taste, you know.
Speaker 1: I did one of the scenes. One of my favorite scenes was when the cops come and they challenge they're going to let Nick go because Nick's got himself into some trouble and they're going to let him go if Sam can do his you know, jump into the car like he does on the TV sh he tries it and you can't do it. I like a one that's funny. Yeah, physically it's funny in a in a very talky movie where there's people inside the light, but then where it goes the kind of conversation between Nick and Harold is really good. I think we start getting to where the movie is trying to make a point. Let's have a listen. One, did you get so friendly with cops? Harold?
Speaker 8: You're fucking stupid, stupid.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: First of all, that cap has twice kept this house from being ripped off.
Speaker 1: Happens to be a hell of a guy.
Speaker 7: You come on, Harold, what is it?
Speaker 1: What is it with you?
Speaker 8: Is jail another experience? You want to try? See what that's like? You know, I live here, this place means something to me. I'm dug in. I don't need this ship.
Speaker 1: Kevin Klein leanning, living heavily into this something extent for some reason, I think where he's.
Speaker 2: It dips in it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, he's still.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, one of the best. But to me and for the male characters, he was the.
Speaker 2: Most one note as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, so his character, I mean again, you know, obviously he's got a successful business, and it just seemed, I don't know, there wasn't much depth to him. But I don't know how you read it as well, But maybe that scene probably added a little more kind of color and depth to him. But yeah, I just didn't feel like he was fully fleshed out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I guess he was the one who was defending their right to change and evolve and not be yeah, you know, eighteen twenty or early twenty for the rest of our lives. Yeah, and he's going, this is okay, you know, and the fact that you know, no doubt, you know, they ain't necessarily overtly say it, but they those young kids are anti cops, you know. And then and now they're like, no, he protects her house.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also though the first probably cuck in a movie, you know, his wife is sleeping with another man and he just deals with it.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, you know, so.
Speaker 1: Well, I just meant that's there to help us. It's almost one if. It's almost like Glenn closest character, Sarah is saying she knows what she's done in the past, so she's broken that. You know, does that make it easier for her to kind of go, let's you have this experience?
Speaker 4: See Yeah, I kind of thought that as well, where she's like, all right, you at a pass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure that in the real will and when Karen, sorry, when Meg comes in, when the acting has been agreed upon, you know, Yeah, she's really dressed up, she's got she's gotting.
Speaker 2: On layers off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a lot of work to be done.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then in the morning they thought the greatest sexual experience they've ever had, Like really from the dressing gown.
Speaker 4: Oh and the snippet we saw of it, it looked awful.
Speaker 1: Really, it's finding the sixth scenes. Oh, all always fully clothed, and this the.
Speaker 4: One outdoors with Tom Berenger and Aaron Karen Karen to me, okay, to me, she was the worst part of the movie, right because her motivation. She's in a loveless marriage, which is kind of set up nicely early. But and it's also like her just being so wonder dimensional. Okay, but it also provided to me my favorite part of the movie, which is her husband eating a mayonnaise on white bread sandwich and washing it down with a glass of milk. I was like, that's so funny. It's like, we know he's bland, but they're really hammering at home.
Speaker 1: Do Americans get up in the night as much as movies suggests, because I've never gotten in the middle of not for a meal. I just haven't, and I enjoy a meal yeah, and I don't know any My wife doesn't do it. My wife may have a cap of tea and toast if she can't sleep. It very very rarely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, I suffer from a bit of insomnia, but you know, I'll just get up, read a book for a little bit, go back to bed. But I'm never cracking out of mayonnaise on white bread sandwich and a glass of milk.
Speaker 2: And you can sleep.
Speaker 1: You sleep out that.
Speaker 4: And the thing is like he kind of says an interesting line where he's like, oh, you know, I have a bit of insomnia and this is the only like piece of quiet I get from the family. So I love I love the fact that I can't sleep.
Speaker 2: And I'm up at the night. And then he's when he's eating that.
Speaker 4: I was so it was so funny to me that you're setting him up his bland. And there's a line about him that's also one of the best lines in the movie where she goes, oh, I know he'll always be faithful and someone goes, oh, you guys trust each other, and she goes no fear of herpes. I was like, all right, that's funny, you know. Yeah, So that's this husband's just kind of a whipping boy. And then he you know, he leaves pretty early on.
Speaker 1: But I think he leaves knowing that his wife has designs on Sam or and he's okay with it happening, or that he just he thinks it might happen, but he's not gonna wait around to watch it.
Speaker 4: Because it seems like he at the funeral, like immediately it sets it up like that she's like staring at at Sam, the Tom Berenger character, and then the husband looks over disapprovingly, like.
Speaker 1: They meet outside of the church, and he's not we watch you shows all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a big fan. So to me, that was the best character was the husband. I'd watch a whole movie of this. This fucking dude eating mayonnaise sandwich just.
Speaker 1: Just truth bombs with Richard sandwich.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but to me, yeah, Karen who And then their sex scene outdoors like fully clothed, and I, you know, I get it that they're not making sex seem like this wonderful, flowery thing, almost in binary to the other sex scene where it is seemed not erotic, but like it's like, oh, this beautiful moment, and then theirs is all like frenzied and outside and anyone who has had sex outdoors knows it's the worst experience. You know, it's never good. They got mosquito bites all over their ass at this point.
Speaker 2: It's just terrible.
Speaker 1: It is, Yeah, wearing a mask and run at your bum.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're Richard Gear, you paid for it.
Speaker 1: I would love to know that rumor is true. The I would love to know of the discussions about how to Obviously, even and more so these days with intimacy coordinators on certain things need to be really mapped out. But I would like to know the discussions they had for the Meg and Harold sex scene, because obviously they want it's built to be as far as what we see beforehand and afterwards as a loveliness to it. And I wonder how they how can we reflect this in the actual because I'm not sure if they pun nailed it. But you don't want too much. You don't want a full nudity scene, you know, you want to use it. Glenn close in the bath, crying in the bath, which eighties still like they still we're pretty okay with a lady's nip.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, she in fatal attraction.
Speaker 2: Guys, does she go for now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, yeah, I think she does. It's only a few years after about four years, four years after this.
Speaker 4: Are you saying no nips and movies anymore. I feel like we're in a posting it barrow.
Speaker 1: I feel like you might be posting it a posting. It's just so much. I think we went we'll post it for a while. Maybe we actually the nips come back. Okay, there's so much content now it's hard to keep across side now it's certainly Game of thrins. Game of Thrones, will you makes up for most of it?
Speaker 4: So TV nips, But yeah, movie nips are rare, especially like the comedies of the eighties and nineties. There's ah, dude, it was nothing button it.
Speaker 1: Even in the Hangover. I'm trying think the Hangover movies is I can't remember there being like much nudity. I might be completely wrong in this forgetting Yeah, massive scene which was all.
Speaker 4: But it's like say, gags like an airplane which was flying high here, you know, just like there's turbulence and it just cuts the massive set of cans jiggling around.
Speaker 2: It's like it's funny.
Speaker 1: It was like it was the Wild West about that. Okay, let's talk about Jeff Goblins. He set up so creepy from the get go. Yeah, that he basically is trying to groom Chloe this grieving is she technically wind.
Speaker 4: And she's got to be what mid early twenties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's young. She's young. Yeah, I mean obviously Alex, you know, so they're similar age. So but yeah, I think praying on because it's a scene where he goes to her. They have like a little off you know, like off property kind of. It's on the property that yeah, disconnected apartment if you like. And he goes down and she answers and she's in underwear and sing it and he's almost leaning in for the kiss and and she shuts it down. I love the way she handles it. She just turns away like she doesn't even address you know. But yeah, it's a pretty it's pretty creepy.
Speaker 4: He is creepy and like the most outwardly kind of selfish and like his plans to open up a nightclub, but he's it's just like it's crazy. He's not doing as much cocaine as William Burt's character, right, because he seems like the most coke fueled.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, absolutely, And.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's sexualized right from the start. Her introduction is she's like working out and she's all sweaty and like writhing around on the floor. Yeah, and so she's kind of like set up that way, and then you know, no one ends up hooking up with her. But yeah, the gold bloom lasciviousness is on full display.
Speaker 1: It's a wet Sam Tom Berenger, here's another actor who you'd love to see get a renaissance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I first came to Tom Beranger in Major League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, classic, Yeah, he was good Major League definitely. What else would he be known for? Would it just be big chill in that?
Speaker 1: It's a bloody good question. I think it was like pretty big around this time, even outside of the Big Chill Yeah.
Speaker 2: Major League.
Speaker 4: I mean that just I wonder if it holds up. But it's yeah, it's nice. Yeah, yeah, yeah, fuck you Joebu all that. It's another movie that was on repeat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, made in eighty nine, six years after this. He was in Inception I don't see which I was in Platoon of course, so he definitely known for that.
Speaker 2: I almost said that's the youngest I've seen him, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, he actually looked six years older in Major League and I guess if he's late thirties, you know, you start aging into your forties a little bit. But he looked quite different. I thought in Major League, like he looked like he'd aged and that those six years. I would have to say, yeah from my memory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, yeah, because this, you know, he is the Magnum p I character. Which do you think Lawrence Casten was obviously referencing Magnum p I but in a sense like making fun of it or is a tribute to it or what was your angle on that.
Speaker 1: I think it's a bit of a piss take. I think it was. It was. It was set up to be he was in training day as well. It was set up to be that he, like Jeff Goldblim's character Michael, that Sam was not doing. He was a bit embarrassed by you know, what he was doing. He wanted maybe he wanted to be a theater actor or something more worthy, and he was in you know when they were around watching watching it. Yeah, And I like that scene because it kind of felt that they're pissed taking they felt like they said, they felt like friends. And that's when something that when she goes down, even right at the end, and they just come out and there's no big I'm sorry man, you know, like there's just like little touches on the shoulder and yeah, and that's what friends do. If you actually proper friends and you've got life history especially, yeah, you know, you can move through things a bit quicker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, yeah, I see that. And like you said, the chemistry was definitely there between the cast, even when they're watching the Michigan game, you know, they're all Michigan alum from the university. And then I thought that was like a kind of definitely some people are way more into it than others, you know, and Jeff Goldbloom still trying to get laid when they're watching it, you know, and the woman who wants to get pregnant won't even sleep.
Speaker 2: With Jeff Goldblum. Yeah right, it's funny, even though it comes.
Speaker 4: That they had slept together in the past, but she doesn't want him to be, you know, the absentee father of her child.
Speaker 1: Even so, Yeah, I think Sam as well, let's go back to Tom barnsheit. I thought there's a version of that character, who's like, is the asshole? Yeah, the Hollywood asshole?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I thought he was actually quite a sympathetic character. Really liked him.
Speaker 4: I think to me, his best scene was when they're all on the couch on the final night, which was the most compelling scene, and they're all kind of finally being honest about their good friend's suicide, and you know how it's affected them as, Oh, you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna let's listened to it, so you might you should be hosting this is happening because we all really miss him.
Speaker 6: And we're really I think that's a crack of shit.
Speaker 1: I think we're afraid. Just the opposite is true.
Speaker 6: Alex died for most of us a long time ago.
Speaker 3: I think you're a crock of shit.
Speaker 1: Don't speak for me or anybody else here.
Speaker 3: You hate your life, that's your problem.
Speaker 1: Don't tell us how we feel. Okay, that's it. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 6: If I hate my life, that's my problem. Today's run around the comfort Alex just as compassionately.
Speaker 3: Hey, Nick, and we go back a long way, and I'm not going to piss that.
Speaker 1: Away because you're higher than a kite.
Speaker 6: Wrong, A long time ago. We knew each other for a short period. You don't know anything about me. It was easy back then. No one ever had a cushier birth than we did. It's not surprising our friendship could survive that. It's only out here in the world that it gets tough.
Speaker 1: Nick, I don't care what you say. I know I loved you and everybody else here, and I'll go on believing it till I kick Yeah. I think these are the best says yeah in the movie Do you like there is an honesty that's going on here? It reminded me of one of my favorite movie, Sideways, where Paul G. Marty kind of says at the end, this guy who's taken them on the you know, they've gone this journey together for the Bucks party and it's all gone pair shapes and he says, he's not he's not my best friend. He's the guy I shared a room with it, you know, at Santa Monica State or whatever college it was. And it's interesting to hear Nick going to make that point, which is we're not really friends. We happen to be in the same classroom together or the same college together at a certain time in history and that's you know, I suspect it's not, and I like that Sam comes back and says, no, that's not that's not true. It's not true for me. You know, I love everyone in this room, and that's what's true for him. I wonder if if it is true for Nick. Is he just going through a period.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The self reflection I think with him is great because with the others I've feel like are way more I don't know, selfish and not actually analyzing their feelings. Glenn Close obviously devastated by it, but I feel like the other characters are just worried about, you know, selling the company or getting laid or you know, just like my husband sucks, I'm going to hook up with, you know, an old friend. I don't know the motivations. Whereas the fact that Tom Berenger's character and Glenn Close are the only ones that kind of vocalize it in a way that seems like they're grieving add way more depth to what's going on. And like the guys I grew up with, we would meet up once a year, so we've known each other since we were six or seven years old and throughout our twenties and for until people started getting married off and having kids. We would meet up once a year and just go on benders. Right, And we try and do it now and there's you know, only just a few of us still able to do it that you know, can actually get away long enough.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 4: And I've always been one of the ones pushing it, you know. But it changes, you know, it does the group dynamic shifts, people change, the fact that you grew up together. Obviously there's a shared history, but actually, I don't know, when you're brought together again, it's a great shorthand that you can just fall back into the same rhythms, which I think this movie does well. But everyone's so self absorbed that, you know, obviously motivations change and life outlooks and you know, obligations whatever. So I guess that it does do a good job of showing that people brought together by tragedy might take it either as William Hurt's character does Nick in a much more cynical way, or as Tom Behringers, where he's like, nope, we're together for life, even if we haven't seen each other for fifteen years. Right, Yeah, So yeah, I don't know if you felt that well.
Speaker 1: What I I think there's what I love about this film. I think there's a specialness to those who you share a life experience, like the life experience of growing up, or a certain period of time where you're still developing. And you know, we're always still developing, obviously, but you're going through so much. The world feels like your oyster and you are sharing these years. There's something and people who knew you and you knew them, and you may know you may not know anyone else liking you those people at that time. And then and like you said that the shorthand is the best expression, you know, like you had this shorthand with people. My mates are still my inner circle from you, high school, primary school, even kindergarten and a couple of examples. And we probably really only see each other as a group once a year. Now we're all in Australia. Your friends are back the state, in the state. It but when we do it's it's great. I'll be honest. After it's usually a long lunch into the night. After that, I'm like, I don't need to see for another year. There's not a part of me that I'm like, I want to do this every week. No, and that maybe is what keeps it special because you all go off, and this is what the film reflects. You do go off in your different areas. And then that's what I say. We don't check in with them individually or you know, but as a group. Yeah, I feel like, you know, once a year is fine.
Speaker 4: Okay, so that the movie does a good job of portraying that. But maybe my problem upon first viewing is that, say, another ensemble movie like Breakfast Club where all the characters change by the end, does anyone change in this movie?
Speaker 1: It's a good question.
Speaker 2: I don't do.
Speaker 4: I think like everyone's the exact same by the end. They're like, there's no arc.
Speaker 1: Could you argue that, Sarah and and Harold you sell the idea that this is closure of the transgressions? Yeah, Sarah took with Alex right. I feel like what they're almost trying to say is this group is almost like a marriage because they've all slept with each other at varying times.
Speaker 4: If she does have a kid, she's good. That kid's gonna have to call Kevin Kline uncle dad.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's weird, which why hasn't there been a syncop called uncle Dad, Chuck lorget onto that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, I guess there's some closure there, but I think everyone else just may and maybe that's the point.
Speaker 2: Everyone just goes on, you know what they're like, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's interesting when that happens, when you find a movie where the arc is not clear and the journey's not clear, but it's still worked. And this is, like I said, people love this movie. When you're watching it, were you're thinking of your dad?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I was thinking that. And the fact that you know, obviously it does speak to hippies turning into yuppies basically, and he that was probably his exact trajectory, you know what I mean, Like he grew up in that time, and again why it struck a chord with him, and you know, I can't I'm going to see him in a few weeks and I'll say I finally watched The Big Chill and we could finally talk about it.
Speaker 2: So great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and knowing that he loves it, and then me, you know, I love getting a rise out of the old man, So I'll shit on it a little bit to see how he responds. But I now, after talking with you, even for the past hour about it, I do appreciate it more. The soundtrack in Search of a Movie that I said earlier was kind of based on the fact that it just didn't feel satisfying as a narrative or his story. It was just like, just say, okay, just a glimpse into people dealing with tragedy in their own either selfish ways or actually being more vocal about it. And so I guess. But again, Lawrence Kasden like going from these huge films to this, Like, I don't know really what he did post Big Chill, but I was like, because I knew he had done Star Wars and Anniana Jones, which you know, defining movies, you know that, I was like, maybe this isn't his lane.
Speaker 1: Wait did at movie Got Grand Canyon a few years later, and that was another big ensemble, And I have gone vague memories about Steve Martin's and it's a big ensemble, and that had similar vibes. Pretty I think he's got a pretty optimistic view of the world. But yeah, I I mean, I like a lot of this film. This film. It's even things like there's the line that I think Nick William Hitt's character four ss Instagram when he says he's sick of people selling their psyche for a little bit of attention.
Speaker 2: Oh there is that.
Speaker 4: I mean, that was kind of amazing that they keep filming each there and then watching it back immediately.
Speaker 2: I was like, that is.
Speaker 4: Definitely a premonition of our narcissism and what's to come.
Speaker 1: It's so weird how that, Like in the in the meetings, you know, when you're discussing the scripts and you're passing it around, and I'm sure somebody would have asked, why are they doing this? And I'll be fascinating and I like it. Yeah, I'm not arguing against it, but I love to know how they came to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's almost like if they remade it now at twenty twenty four, big chill, it would be they'd all be doing selfie videos at the funeral, like, Hey, I'm just at my buddy's funeral.
Speaker 2: What up? You know?
Speaker 4: Smash that like a subscribe button, because that's like another form of now selfishness and narcissism and ego that that you know is on display in this movie. Yeah, and yeah, just the filming throughout I thought was interesting. Yeah, and it's amazing that I guess them watching it back immediately. Yeah, it's like, okay, they're self obsessed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Michael's character, who we do know is self obsessed. Yeah, records records him chatting with Sarah Glyn close and then they're watching about you, like, not just watching others interviews, it's themselves. Yeah again, so I think, yeah, there is.
Speaker 4: And a watcher back immediately you got to get the cassette out and go to the VCR player.
Speaker 1: Yeah. For young listeners, you don't know what goes in to making this this work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The title of the film is one of the best titles.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I never knew what the Big Chill referred to. I thought it was an American thing, was a wind that came through a certain time, like the Fremantle Doctor. I think Lawrence Kasn has spoken about the big chill that you get when you realize, you know, the warm embrace of your your college friends no longer you know exists, or you've moved onto adulthood.
Speaker 4: Basically, Yeah, okay, i'd see. I didn't even realize he had said that. I just thought it was just death.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Big Chill is just another way of saying yeah, death and then yeah, I mean and then on a much more superficial level, they all hang out for a weekend, which is a big chill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know it was chill used to let that back in ninety three, probably, Yeah, but I do like it. Certainly he's going to play a pout in the big chill to keep chilling, still.
Speaker 2: Chill, still chilling, chilling.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do love that. There's one more gred that I want to play again. It's in that same way they're all they're all chatting, that's growing up listening.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what happened to Alex. At least we expected something to beat others, and I think we needed.
Speaker 8: That about me getting away from you people, the best thing ever happened to me. I mean, how much sex, fun, friendship, and one man take.
Speaker 7: To get out in the world get dirty?
Speaker 1: No, I'll tell you. I think Sam is right.
Speaker 4: I mean there was something in me then that you know, made me want to go to Harlem and teach those ghetto kids.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I was going to help the scum.
Speaker 7: That's so compassionately refer to them.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 8: Some of them are scum, some of us are scum.
Speaker 1: Oh so, so what's thrust here? Great Venom's ship. Now, I don't buy that that's not what we're seeing.
Speaker 2: Harold, you know that I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just i'd hate to think that it was all just fashion.
Speaker 1: What our commitment, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Well, you accomplish things.
Speaker 1: All the evidence of the contracy.
Speaker 4: You're just taking a position.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I think I've put that time down, pretended it wasn't real, just so I can live with how I am.
Speaker 2: Now, you know what I mean?
Speaker 8: Nick helped me with these bleeding hearts.
Speaker 1: I know what do alecs would say? What what's for dessert? There? It is the great life of Meg Tilly playing Chloe.
Speaker 4: I just realized everything she says could be filtered through Okay, boomer.
Speaker 1: Right, Well that's what I mean early about It's just it's one of the handy thing is it's it's a generation judging another generation. I think it's such a great device because there's obviously a version of this movie where Alex was going out with a woman of the same age, and that's a different thing. But the fact that she is younger, of a different generation is great. I think there is something there. Don't have been people in their twenties who love this movie when it came out even maybe like teenagers, and there's something kind of weirdly even though they're kind of going through this period of grief and it's a little bit fucked up, but there's something aspirational about it, even if it's justesthetically about dancing with your friends in a kitchen while you're having dinner parties. Yeah, is something that I'm sure a lot of people just hooked into that as much as they did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some of the grimmer stuff, oh yeah, definitely. And I mean you need that levity for a film that's essentially about a good friend committing suicide. Yeah, right, And so yeah, those scenes, like I said, the Tonal chefs a bit daring for me, but I think it's yea necessary in a movie. If it was just like seven friends sitting around crying the whole time, you'd be like, I can't watch this.
Speaker 1: There's some really funny moments played, some of them in the car and at the funeral. Some of the dialogue is almost sulken Esque in a way when it's really popping during those lands rooms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they make Tom Berringer look like a bit of an idiot when she's like I wanna I want you to father my child because you have good jeans, and then he stares at.
Speaker 2: Him for a few seconds.
Speaker 1: I reckon that one might have been, let's just try this, and he's really okay, we won't use it, but okay, I'll give you what you want. I'm not going to be difficult. Tom Burrow actually end up buying property in the area because he loved the area so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's no South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mentioned earlier that Glenn Close was the only actor who got nominated. Should anyone else been nominated?
Speaker 4: Kevin Caster, the way they dressed his body, you know, for the for the funeral.
Speaker 1: Jonathan cast was very good in the bath. He's performance of Dvid and I was a bull from very good. Yeah. It bookands with that as well. Yeah, at the final song, here's the actual version of David, I was a booth true. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: It comes full circle to me. The I mean, she does definitely get the medias things with the crying in the shower, and as she also gets the polar opposite of that moment where she's high on coke and like rambling in the bed about selling the business. Yeah, that's another thing I did like about this movie and might have been groundbreaking at the time. Is recreational drug use and not shown as as vilified or like whoever's doing drugs is like, you know, gonna end up a junkie, just like hanging out and doing drugs. Yeah, like pre nineteen eighty three, was that in any.
Speaker 1: Other movies, you know, not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 4: Because when they when William hurt is driving up in the car and he's popping kayludes, I was like, Oh, he's gonna and there's gonna be an intervention thing. But there never is.
Speaker 1: They're not.
Speaker 4: They're always like can I get a lude or you know, like.
Speaker 1: Donk go to the areas? Like I said that the Vietnam veteran thing isn't really you know, played, His drug use isn't played. It is this all Yeah, it's all fun. And I think you know, Alex, we spoke about it, I know, earlier, but I think they it's at the right tone, you know, like he's a friend, Yes it was, it's been fifteen years or whatever. So I feel like that allows them to have this humor that runs throughout it and for some of them to be more upset than others, even though it's sad. Nobody's denying that, but you know, some have moved on more than others. And obviously Alex sorry Glenn closest character, Sarah is the most effective because they did have a relationship, yeah, not that long, you know ago.
Speaker 4: So I would say William Hurt's character, I think, so, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's the most I don't think it's Kevin Klein one, because he accidently keeps out a little bit. There's where I thought, Oh, is he sudden? Yeah? And Jeff Goldbloom probably not. He's good, he's good. He's Jeff Goblin and being great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And like I said, but I think William Hit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, definitely. And like I said, what really didn't work for me was the other two female characters, Karen and Meg Meg who one just wants to get pregnant and the other one just as in a happy marriage.
Speaker 2: It just seemed a little one note.
Speaker 1: The Karen character felt very like she was in a soaper opera. Yeah, delivery of some of the lines felt a bit soapy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. And Tom Berringer's character is just like, okay, all right, whatever. He was kind of like brushing her off and then you know, then they're hooking up at the end. I don't know that just didn't hit, but yeah, I definitely William Hurt probably delivers the second best performance, if not the best performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's as strongest Glen closest performance. And a special shout out to make Tilly, who I thought was awesome and I really haven't seen her in much at all after that.
Speaker 4: I think she was in the Bride of Chucky with Jennifer Tilly, right, yeah, yeah, so she got her sister on board for a modern classic.
Speaker 1: And then Jennifer til Griva. Actors often have I've had actors speak about having the nemesis, the acting nemesis. So it's quite possible that that make Tilly's acting nemesis is actually he's.
Speaker 2: A gentlemen, Right, who's your stand up nemesis?
Speaker 4: Here we go, here's the real, the real shit people want to hear. Oh yeah, mine too, he said, one of the worst dudes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm the shore. I mean I probably do have one. I wait that three year. I'll come back with an anton next week.
Speaker 4: So the thing that I've been thinking about it since you said it that it is a fifteen year gap and then like some people are just a place in a time, Like they went to the University of Michigan for.
Speaker 2: Four years together.
Speaker 4: Right, Like we have buddies we've known since we were kids. There's a shared history there. But people you just knew for four years that were just in the same proximity as you, and then you haven't seen one of them in fifteen years, Like you wouldn't invite that dude to your wedding.
Speaker 1: No, it is, I think it is. There's something about when you if you would lose somebody from that period, that golden period of your life that is just been embalmed, and and that's when you think about your life, that's almost a period where you might think that was my happiest I think when Close says, you know, I was the best version of myself with with with you guys. So there's a an idealistic, you know, utopia about that time. And it's like I have it with my my friends that I went to school with. I also have it with my generation of stand ups that kind of came through together. You know, your Hughes and Rove and will and and and you know quite a few others. We know there's a time that we went through something together. We're starting out. They were a college, we were starting stand up. A lot of us had come from different parts of the country, not me hang around in Melbourne. But yeah, it was exciting and that felt like and I still have you know, know that you when you started, you have your your call. Yeah, like fact, you're going to open nights together. You're not sure if you can actually do it yet, yeah, you know, and and and you're excited to talk about material and then you know and and and speak to somebody who you know you may have seen around the traps, you know.
Speaker 4: So oh yeah, you see like Facebook memories come up and there's a picture of like you doing stand up when you first started, and you're like, holy shit, the different trajectories we've been on, right, Yeah, Like that guy is like super famous and crushing it in the States, that guy is now a lady.
Speaker 2: That guy got me.
Speaker 4: Too, you know what I mean. You're like, holy shit, it's so bizarre. But there is still a connection that you know, like, yeah, you come up in a time and a place and when you start stand up, I feel like it's such a intense, you know, passionate thing that Yeah, there's a connection there.
Speaker 1: Well, so I think stand up even more so when you go to college, you know, you if you do the work, you should be able to you know, if you choose to make it living out of it. Stand up, we're all starting not knowing if we could do it, you know, to begin with. And what I love about stand up, and I think why stand ups get, you know, become very close, is because we all started. Every stand up comedian started the exact same way, which is walking to a microphone in a bar somewhere, not knowing if they could do it. There's no other way you can start. Jerry Seinfeld did that, Mike Alsten did that, Pet Hally did that. Every I'm still doing it. Yeah, no, you know, I think you've passed now. I think you can go to the next level.
Speaker 4: Mike, Oh dude, I'm gonna open mic material going what has happened?
Speaker 1: Oh no, But you know you are right when you're when you're building a new show where people say, is it hard to be a stand up I'm like, well no, you know, like you do it for long enough, but then when you're going out to do maybe ten fifteen, twenty minutes a new for a new show that you want to test that material and they might be in front of thirty people. You know, He's like, this is hard man.
Speaker 4: I should tell you you were actually a formative presence in my early stand up because uh, it probably went through agents and stuff. But I was your support act in Perth at the Astro Theater in like two thousand, two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it was my first theater gig and I think I was just doing like a seven minute spot, which for me was a stretch at the time, and I was so fucking nervous, right, like lost sleep the night before, like almost over rehearsed my seven minutes and the gigs went great. I think we did two shows, but yeah, first ever theater gig, and I was, yeah, so I don't know if you knew that, but.
Speaker 1: That was not I wouldn't have remember that, but now you say it, yeah, I'm like, cause I remember. We haven't hung out a whole bunch, but I when we kind of you spend a bit more time together a couple of years ago, there was a familiarity about you. I was like, yeah, it's kind before that those would go gigs and yeah, sorry about you. Know, like John into your head before the gig and this dude, it was crazy, fuck me so much, don't fuck me up. I gotta go on off.
Speaker 2: You said it and you just go.
Speaker 4: Don't talk about sex or do any swear words because that's all my act is. And you said I don't want you to step on my toes.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: I did that. Or Rob Schneider did say that to me though, Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I opened for him and he didn't want anything filthy, and I thought it was because the whole show was going to be clean, but it's because he didn't want me to fuck up his TV.
Speaker 1: I don't often have supports, but it is interesting when you it's something that you wouldn't mind knowing. Yeah, but it shouldn't be on the night thing. It should be like, you know, well before well before you know, if you can stay away from these topics, and it could usually would be in my instance, it would be, yeah, I'm going to cover these topics, yeah before if possible that you don't go in these areas.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But the difference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, relationships, the difference being you want out and crushed and Rob Schneider started bombing and the Perth crowd a heckled you can do it at him for about thirty minutes until he lost his mind, which was.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing. Happy Gilmore too on its way. Yeah that's happening, Yeah, Mike gold Scene. This podcast comes with homework. You've watched A Big Chill twice.
Speaker 2: I watched it twice.
Speaker 1: That is commitment to the cause. You don't quite make the Jane Kennedy club of watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy a director's cut eleven and a half hours of prep Jane did for this podcast. We're only gonna discuss the first film, but she went out, I'm gonna watch him watch them all. But I do appreciate it. Mate. We got to hang out on the hundred recently, which would be an episode which I believe we'll go to air next season. Yeah, which that was a lot of fun. You are killing it on that with Andy, Dude.
Speaker 4: It was great to have you on like that was just I love it when it's all comics on the panel and then because it's just bouncing off each other and riffing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it should be. You know, we'll see how they added it, but yeah.
Speaker 1: It's such a fun show a format that I think Andy helped the eyes and it's likely another local great UZI format.
Speaker 4: And somehow you got out of a theme episode because the one we recorded straight after was Hughsey dress as a dog and he dress as a giant chicken.
Speaker 1: That was so funny to see. And you show me the costumes. Oh no, they've really gone for it. It's not your some kind of mascot for his department store.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And for some reason Andy was just dressed like in a Safari outfit.
Speaker 2: I was like, are you are you hunting us? What is? I don't get the what? Yeah?
Speaker 1: All that is to be seene And you have your podcast, your podcast.
Speaker 4: I have a podcast called the Phone Hacks podcast where we get comedians on and we all swap phones and go through notes, draft to tweets, camera roll or search history. You've been the target of hacks I got.
Speaker 1: I got a message yeah from Damien Powell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which was like sexy Shrek.
Speaker 1: Is like a completely ripped Shrek and the same thing like, hey, how's he saying?
Speaker 2: And to be honest, you saw through us.
Speaker 1: I saw. I'm like, you know, there's some kind of podcasting going on here or there's some, there's some. It's too weird that Damien Power has sent me this I do have We'll get messages and gonna go yeah, this is this is part of a radio stunt or suspect.
Speaker 4: I think anyone who's done radio sees right through our So yeah, we do hacks at the end, not necessarily every episode. And that was damn he had sexy Shrek to But if you want to get on and then you'll send like a sexy Shrek back to Damno.
Speaker 1: Although would be sweet, you might see through it. You may have forgotten. Yeah, Damien, he lives a life.
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 1: Mate, thank you so much. We'll see you on one hundred phone Hack the podcast. Check it out, mate, thanks for joining us, thanks for having me, and we'll see you for Big che The Big Chill Too.
Speaker 2: Still Chilling, Still Chilling.
Speaker 4: The Way to from a Tree.
Speaker 1: There it is the Big Chill, looking forward to The Big Chill Too, Still Chilling. Mike Goldseen is working on the script as we speak. That was a lot of fun. I think they're some of my favorite episodes when the guest is a little unsure or a bit apathetic about what they thought of the film, but then slowly comes around, and that's I think the power of being able to chat about a movie after we see it so many times these days, with so much content, and we went through movies and TV series and don't often have the chance to reflect on them. And it's not the first time somebody's coming to the U ain't see nothing yet studios and being a bit lukewarm about a movie, but has then grown as the conversation has gone on, and I love it and I really look forward to I was chatting to Mike a little bit off air when he does speak with his dad, to know how that conversation goes, what his dad thinks, his opinion of the movie. The movie is both its strengths and weaknesses all am I being a fly on the wall of that conversation. Thanks Mike. Check him out one hundred and his Phone Hacks podcast. You can support this podcast, which comes to you free. You don't pay a dollar for it or even a cent by going to iTunes and leaving a rating. I recommend five stars and a little review. It'll be lovely if you did. That just keeps the algorithm moving in the right direction. It just helps get the word out. Of course, you can do that by telling people about it as well. That's the old fashioned way. You can still do that, believe it or not. And you can contact us by getting on our email at Yasney Podcasts at Gmail, or get on our speak pipe. I would love you to do this. Get on our speak pipe and leave a message maybe about a guest that we've had on, a film we've had on, or maybe you want to request a guest or a film that would be That would be lovely, and we've had some lovely feedback recently, so keep them coming next week on you Ain't Seen Nothing yet another comedian. We love our comedians here. We're largely comedy based as far as our guests go, like we get a little bit of a different site to them sometimes as well, not exclusively. We've had wonderful actors come through here and musicians, but we haven't a comedian coming through who I have really enjoyed watching over the last more than five years, getting closer to ten years. Ben Coschen will be in the studio. Ben is the partner of Concertta Christa who I did Task Master with recently, and I only mentioned that because it came up in that episode. Ben's his own man, you know. But Concetta did mention that he doesn't particularly like old movies, and it made me think, what does constitute an old movie? When is a movie considered old? And I obviously have quite a few years on Ben, So the movies that I watched, as you know, growing up, they're leaving their own little time capsule, and I don't think of them as old. So when a movie from like nine to eighty seven, is that an old movie? I mean, technically, yeah, it's like thirty five years, thirty seven years old or something. If I was in nine and eighty seven as a twelve ye old watching a thirty seven year old movie, yeah, that would be old. There'll be an old movie that meant it would have been made like in the fifties or something. So yeah, it took me a while to get my head around the fact that Ben thought the movie I was pitching was in fact an old movie, because I was thinking, like, let's go black and white, let's go on the waterfront. Maybe, but we're not doing that, We're doing a classic movie. That's important, I think because it's a movie that announced the silver screen arrival of one of the greatest comedic talents of our times. It's Robin Williams, and he'd done the TV and he stand up TV with Walker Mindy, but he really arrived on the silver screen when he made Good Morning Vietnam. It's a movie that I love. I've watched this many times. Bruno Kirby is fantastic in this movie. The whole cast is fantastic. Forest Whitaker is brilliant. Yeah, there's a lot going on in this movie, a lot to talk about. Looking forward to Ben to watch it and we can be this so kin the genius that was Robin Williams. Next week on. You ain't seen nothing yet until then, back and out. And so we leave Old Pete save fan Sult, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant, good day.