Speaker 1: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom, back by popular demand. Today we are jumping straight back into another Q and A episode, helping answer the questions we didn't have time for in our last Q and A show. Expect wedding chats, home loan tips, and ideas for where best to funnel your extra cash, plus plenty.
Speaker 3: More that is diverse, Georgia, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I know now. My name is Georgia King, and joining me as always is financial advisor Victoria Divine. We are back today to answer more of our communities burning questions. How ex are you?
Speaker 3: I am stoked, No, genuinely, I'm really excited because these are really fun. They're like shortsh up to the point things where I feel like you guys walk away with a whole understanding of like random topics Like is that not fun? I think that's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the taste of lots of different topics in one episode.
Speaker 3: Right, So, George, we probably should just jump into them, shouldn't we.
Speaker 2: Let's do it be okay, So our first question here is from Bonnie. She has asked, if I'm in my early twenties lucky and I have a decent chunk of savings, how should I be investing slash growing this She feels that it's being wasted in the bank where she's not getting much interest off her money at all. But she also doesn't want to invest a larger portion in shares as she might want it in a few years for a home loan. So what do you do in that case?
Speaker 3: Be oh, you got to go see a financial advice or my friend, because that is asking for financial advice, and it would be very irresponsible of me as the financial advisor, to provide you with direct advice.
Speaker 2: But here's gentially, that's generally.
Speaker 3: Where you should be looking. So first things first, there are different time frames for investment. So you could invest for five years, you could invest for ten years. The priority could be investing for the long term. And obviously I talk a lot on this podcast about investing for the long term because I want you guys to be creating financial freedom. But I know a lot of people who are saying, oh cool, probably want to buy a house in like seven to ten years. But I'm going to invest in the short term and sell down my asset once I'm there, because I want exposure to those returns. So it's not to say you shouldn't invest. There's obviously just risk that comes along with that when you talk about it being wasted in the bank. Obviously, we are really lucky here in Australia to have a really safe banking system and we also have access to interest rates on some of our banking products, which means you can make a return. But if you're wanting more of a retur than that, I can't actually recommend a direct product because it would include more risk and what you've just said is you're not willing to take more risk than that. So sometimes we really need to think like what is the plan here? And it's actually really common question where they're like, oh, I feel like my money's been wasted in the bank, but I don't want to invest. I'm like, well, there's actually no unicorn middle product where it's like, oh my gosh, great returns, absolutely no risk, can pull it out whenever you want, So you can buy a house like it's not going to happen, and if it was, I'd be recommending it because it would be safer and less risky than investing in shares, and it would also be better than the bank. So you would have heard this from me already. I promise there are a couple of ways about going about it, though. You could be looking at maybe less risky shares and having a more conservative portfolio so that you are exposed to a bit more risk, but you're also not, you know, in a super high growth portfolio that's arguably going to see more fluctuation. But I think it's really important to understand what your timeframes on different goals are and if you're saying should I be investing, I believe, from my personal opinion, yes, at some point you need to start investing for our future. If you've got superannuation, you are pretty an investor, and we should be thinking about our financial future as a whole, not just prioritizing. I want a house, I don't want a car, and so every single dollar I earn goes into that again, bigger conversation. I can't give direct advice, but that's what I would say when we start thinking about that concept.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's not then completely wasted in the bank, Like it's okay to leave it there, it's okay to just.
Speaker 3: Have savings, especially if you're saving for home deposit or you are saving for your first car. In fact, something that I think is really important to talk about is your first home deposit or your first one hundred thousand dollars worth of savings are going to be the hardest. They're going to be the hardest because you don't see any compounding. You don't see any return on the money that you have saved or invested in the short term. Whereas after that, I promise everything thing is so much easier because a five percent return on five grand not that much. But when we start looking at five percent return on one hundred thousand dollars, you're like, oh, that seems to be a fair bit, and it starts to compound over time. So what we want to do is, if you're in your early twenties, it can feel like a long slog, it can feel like you want better returns, but it's about being consistent. And if the plan is to get into the property market, great, go with that. Save for your first home, get there. That property is then going to, hopefully if you've bought a good property, increase in value, or it might be an investment property that then generates you income, but if it increases in value, then we have what's called leverage, so we can start borrowing against an asset so you don't have to start from scratch again. And the same thing can be said to be true in the share market, where your first one hundred thousand dollars is the hardest to earn and the hardest to actually get into the market, and once you have surpassed that, everything becomes a little bit easier because your shares start to compound and your dividends start to reinvest and you start to actually seek growth. Whereas you know, when we are dealing with and I'm not calling them small by any stretch to the imagination, but in this day and age, I think it's really important for me to be quite direct about this. It's going to be hard, and there are going to be decisions that you need to make along this journey where you go, oh, I'd really like to invest and get some returns, but like, it's actually not worth it in the short term because it's car, or it's a house deposit, or it's actually allocated to something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so probably creating a three year strategy is not going to be that beneficial.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so. Especially if you're saying I would like to expose an asset to the shed market for less than five years, I'd probably really shy away from that because I am really adverse to risk and I wouldn't want you taking unnecessary risk. But in saying that, if it was anything more than that, absolutely considers something that could help you a lot. That journey, that's in line with your risk profile.
Speaker 2: Beautiful. All right, good luck with the home ownership journey, Bonnie. We are rooting for you. Okay. Vanessa is our next question here, v Lord. She wants to know the pros and cons of renting, specifically in retirement. So we did a podcast on this on Renting Forever a few weeks ago now of a few months. Even she says she's always been taught that it's better to have a home of your own when you do retire, so you're not paying rent out of either your investments or your pensions and so on. So what are the pros and cons v of renting in retirement?
Speaker 3: So there are a number, and she's actually correct. We did not talk about the benefits of renting or the cons of renting when you are retired. Because obviously that would mean that you had to have capital to pay for the rent, right, But if we're working towards a safe and comfortable retirement, we will always have funds available. Like that's the purpose of financial security and creating financial freedom. So if we are talking about the pros of renting in retirement, obviously you're going to have the flexibility to move around and live a lifestyle you want when you are younger. You don't have to save up for a house deposit and then pay back a mortgage. A lot of people will say, oh, my gosh, but the I want to own a house outright, so that the pension is all mine or my super money is all mine and it's not being spent on accommodation. Like, Okay, each to their own. I think that there are a number of benefits to just owning your own things. But let's be honest, that is a privilege that is denied to so many of us. And it's actually kind of cool that through to retirement we can rent. Like, at the end of the day, being able to rent just means that we need to allocate our budget consistently so that we actually take into account that expense and you know, maybe once you become retired, if you are a homeowner, that expense drops off, but it doesn't mean you have no expenses. You're going to still need an income. Whereas if you are retiring and you haven't purchased a property that is your live in forever property, you're going to need to budget for a home, right, you're going to need budget for accommodation. But the idea that that can then be far more flexible is really appealing. So the idea that you could go, okay, cool, like rent's a bit expensive and I want to change my lifestyle, you can do that very easily. You could scale up as well if you had more disposable income than you thought, maybe rent a bougie apartment in comparison to the house that you'd been renting. And then obviously the maintenance costs that come along with a home you wouldn't have to take into consideration because that would be the landlord's responsibility. But when it comes to cons obviously a landlord could bump up the rent or sell your home, which could be a massive headache. Especially as you're getting older, you might need a greater amount of superannuation to live off because you will be paying rent as well as compared to having a mortgage paid off. But again, maybe if you're a bit younger and you're in this situation where we are planning for retirement, the plan of purchasing a home paying off a home might actually be far more financially than planning to rent in retirement. So that's where we need to and in financial advice Land, we actually project these things out and do analysis where we go, okay, cool, what would that look like in the future if we sat Georgia down now and she invested XYZ, What would it mean if we changed this particular part of her circumstance. What do it mean if she rented forever instead of making a family home purchase. What do I mean if she made a family home purchase? What would her cash flow look like? What would her budgeting look like? I think it is very important to take into consideration all the options if that's in line with your values, and also remembering that if we own a family home and we do need to claim sent link or a pension, that family home's value is not taken into consideration. So hypothetically, Georgia, if you have a lot of super and you're not able to claim the pension, but you actually need to because it's like a lot of super but not enough super for you to pay for your retirement. If you then purchased a house with that superranuation money, you could potentially then claim the pension as well, because that asset is not taken into consideration when working out whether you get the pension or not. It's other assets outside of that, So talking about that as obviously a benefit of owning instead of renting, and then also AFSA, So the Australian Financial Services Authorities calculations say that if you're renting in Sydney as a couple, you would need a total of one million, one hundred and sixty six thousand dollars to retire, and singles would need one million and forty five thousand dollars to retire, which would then cover their rent to live a quote comfortable lifestyle. And obviously Sydney is our most expensive city in the country, but it's worth thinking about and maybe if you are renting and those figures are out of reach, then living rigidly might be a smarter idea financially. So I think when we start to break it down and talk about it, like how much would it cost you to buy a house in the location that you live? So example, if you live regionally and houses cost three hundred grand, that's very different Georgia than saying, Okay, the average house price in my area is a million dollars, so I need to save a million dollars purchase property, and then I'm also going to need a million dollars in super to live comfortably, Like which one is it? What are we prioritizing? How is that going to work? Because it's not one or the other, it's which situation is going to work best for us? Gotcha?
Speaker 2: Our next question here V is from Claire. So she is at a stage in life where she can start investing in shares, and she is wondering if it's better to concentrate on building her super as it's pretty low at the moment, or if she should buy shares outside of Super.
Speaker 3: Claire, Claire, Claire. What is with you guys asking specific financial advice questions which I'm legally not allowed to answer, Like if it is about you, my friends, I cannot give you a direct answer. And that's not a bad thing. I'm not lying coming at Claire or any But I do want to point out I'm not trying to skirt around the issue, guys. I'm not trying to be like, oh my gosh, I'm not going to answer Claire's question directly. Legally, I can't because I haven't looked at Claire's personal situation, haven't done a fact find. I don't know what other assets Claire owns. I don't know what her income looks like. I don't know even what superanuation fund she's in. So it would be incredibly irresponsible of me to be like, Claire put more in super like. I don't know that, And the answer to that question, if I answer it directly, could be not in her best interests, which is really upsetting because I would love to be like, Okay, George, this is what you do. This is how you create financial freedoms. Follow step A, B, C, and D, and you are going to be golden like. I wish I could answer it that way, Unfortunately I can't. So this is the way we're going to do it today. So Claire, my friend, you are going to have a think about your future and what you want to achieve. Supernuation is a brilliant tax vehicle. Did you hear that Georgia I did not call superannuation investment. I said it was a tax vehicle, which is essentially what it is. To me. Superranuation is not an investment. It is a tax structure which enables you to pay fifteen cents on every dollar instead of your marginal tax rate on the money that you put into superranuation, which is then invested on your behalf by a superanuation fund that manages that money. So we need to look at super and go, okay, cool, this is a great tax structure the moment. If you're not paying any tax, then it doesn't really matter too much where you're investing because you're already not paying much tax. But it might be beneficial for you tax wise to put some more money into super because the tax difference is obviously quite significant because you could be earning more than one hundred and eighty grand and paying the top marginal tax rate. So it kind of makes sense to start considering that as an option. But the other thing with supranuation is we need to remember that you cannot access that until you're sixty and properly at sixty five, So are you willing to wait that long for your future financial freedom. If the answer is no, that's okay. It's still a priority. It is still something that we are contributing to constantly. I mean it's now ten percent of our incomes that get put into superannuation, which is significant. I don't know anyone Georgia who can turn around and be like, oh my gosh, since I started working, I have been investing ten percent of my income. That's what we're doing with SUPER Like. We need to care about it more so from my perspective, we need to work out what that looks like and pick an investment strategy or pick a way of investing, whether that's more into super or going and getting a platform with shares these or going and setting up six Park or going on Superhero. It doesn't matter which one it is. You need to work out what is going to work best for you. So, Claire, my friend, if you want to start investing in shares, that's super exciting, but have a think about where you want to see those returns. If you want to access that before retirement, then go and do that. There isn't a right or wrong. It is down to your values. I'm sorry, George, you need to pick questions where I don't have to be elusive. No, that was good.
Speaker 2: I feel like Claire would have gotten a little bit out of that, So thank you.
Speaker 3: VD.
Speaker 2: Let's move on here to quite an interesting question that's come from sim. She is after some finance tips for neurodivergent people. So she said, for example, people with ASD or ADHD. So what are your tips here, V, because we haven't spoken about this before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So I think that this one is an interesting topic to cover because there are so many neurodivergent people in our community, and often you don't know who they are. Neurodivergence could be lots of different things. So there are several types of recognized neurodivergence. So there are things from autism and aspergers to dyslexia, epilepsy, you've got hyperlexia, You've got things like Tourette's and obsessive compulsive disorder, and then AD and ADHD, which are two very different things that do different things if you look it up. Even left handedness is considered being neurodivergent, which is interesting that I'm taking from that is me, as a left hander neurodivergent. Obviously I am perfect person to talk about this, but more specifically, I do actually have two degrees in psychology Georgia and I've actually studied neurodivergence, which is really interesting. So from what I understand, when we talk about neurodivergence, it would be very hard for me to go, Okay, cool, if you're a neurodivergent, here's the answer, Because someone who has autism versus someone who has ADD or even ADHD or dyslexia, it's all very different. The advice is going to be very different. But I think what we are going to discuss here is ADHD because I feel like there's been a very big surge of diagnoses of ADHD recently, particularly for women, because we are learning more about what those markers are, those indicators look like for them. So, from what I understand about ADHD, people with this, they struggle when it comes to things like concentrating, impulsivity, and over activity, and that means that money management can be super tough. It can mean that the concentration that is required to manage money is just not going to be able to be given. And impulsive spending for people with ADHD is a massive issue. I have spoken to so many people in our community who have ADHD and they're like Victoria, I cannot get my impulsive spending under control. So it makes sense that neurodivergent people do really struggle with money management, and I hope that she's on the money can actually be a really safe space for you to learn about it. But I also think that when it comes to money management, one of the best ways to deal with this is automation. We need to put a plan in place that actually works for us when we aren't able to work with it. So that means setting up a banking structure that makes sense. This is something that I have worked with for a number of years now. It's actually one of the reasons I started building my budget and cash Flow master class to actually get on top of these things because I have a number of clients that are neurodivergent and it's about automating things. So when it comes to bills, putting them on direct debit for people who have ADHDS really helpful because even if they get the bill and it's front of mind, they'll just put off paying it and they just won't do it because it is not in their capacity to do so. Sometimes and sometimes they get really motivated and do six million things all at one time. So one really quick win can be to automate your banking structure and set it up so that it works for you, and then setting aside a certain amount of money that you are allowed to spend, which is where my idea of the food, fuel and fun budget comes from, so that we don't end up sacrificing our longer term goals like maybe saving for a house or a holiday or a car. We don't sacrifice those because we are impulsive spenders. So we need to put a structure in place that works really well for us. Another thing that I would say is really helpful when it comes to money management is starting out with as many money apps as possible. We talk about them in our community and they can be really helpful. We've obviously spoken about Pocketbook and our friends get reminded they would be so helpful in this situation. Also, if you live in a sharehouse and struggle remembering what you owe and who to set up the app split wise with your housemates or even just your partner to keep track of your budget and what people are spending on what. And when it comes to budgeting, there are a whole heap of apps out there that are really good. Obviously, we have worked historically with Pocketbook and we really like them as a budgeting app. We Money is also another one that our community seems to get around and love and then think about using round up apps. So we've talked about upbank before. They actually are able to round up your spending so that you can start investing without having to actually commit to transferring it each and every sea. I also know we're not just talking about bills when we say automate your spending. It's about automating your savings as well. And I think this is also Georgia a really good time to talk about our friends at the National Debt Helpline. So if you feel like you're in a pickle and you don't want to pay for advice and you just feel like you need a hand, reach out to them and they will tear you up with a financial counselor that I know will give you some tips and tricks that will set you on the right path.
Speaker 2: You mentioned impulse buying. There is a big problem for us. Why is that such an issue for neurodivergent people and how like what solutions are there to help bring that under control?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So impulsivity is actually one of the major symptoms of ADHD. So it's not actually uncommon for people with ADHD to buy first and think later. So things like after pay us slippery slopes for these friends. So yes, impulse spending is something that we need to get a hold of. But it's actually not just the purchasing, it's the impulsive behavior. They are far more likely than you know, people who aren't near idovert to actually do first and think later. So I think it's important to just understand that that would then stretch into spending and they'll go, oh, I really like that top, I'll have that top, and then they just didn't think about the thing that they were saving for down the track or the other goal that they had. It can actually be a little bit like having blinkers on and you're not able to consider the bigger picture because you just didn't take the time out to think about that at that point in time. So it's something that if you're in that situation, it makes sense as to why you are being impulsive, why you're maybe not so good at money management. That's where it's just important to have the right people on your team, the right podcast in your ears.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, okay, very good, thanks for that. VD. Let's have a little break here. But on the other side, guys, we will be answering the rest of your incredible questions, including wedding chats.
Speaker 3: Very excited for that. Not my wedding, not George's wedding, so not as exciting to be clear.
Speaker 2: So we'll see you on the other side, guys, VICKI D we are back. Hope you had a wonderful break there, so excited.
Speaker 3: Do you are sure about atfs and managed funds?
Speaker 2: Is that question funny you ask?
Speaker 3: Mate?
Speaker 2: Our next question here is from Susan. She has asked what is the difference between managed funds and ETFs?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for this later? According to the AX and your friendly neighborhood financial advisor Victory Devine, ETFs are managed funds. That's what I thought I got on. But traditional managed funds are sometimes less transparent and potentially are a lot more of an expensive approach to investing. So both, however, are open ended funds that have co mingling assets and seek to achieve a stated investment objective to be more specific, So at the end of the day, an ETF is a managed fund, but a managed fund, not an ETF. Okay, yeah, very similar. So when we look at ETFs, both ETFs and managed funds can track an index or they can be managed by a professional investor. Look, there are a number of similarities, so let's run through the top two, because everybody loves an educated queen. So sit down, JOHNS King, are you ready? So legal ownership is number one. Legally, both ETFs and managed funds are trust structures. The units of these funds they're combined and owned by unit holders. So what that means is it's kind of like a giant bucket and all of the assets that that trust owns sit in the bucket, and as an investor, you purchase units in that bucket, not necessarily units in those individual shares. So if you are buying an ETF and that ETF holds Facebook, you are not buying Facebook, but that Facebook share that you have a share in is owned by that ETF, and you've just purchased into that ETF, if that makes sense. Whereas if you were a direct owner, you would have a little certificate that says G. King on tour is the owner of this Facebook share, whereas that certificate actually says ETF XYZ is the owner of that share, So you're just purchasing into what I like to call a bucket, because from my perspective, that's the easiest way to think about these things. Okay, the second is diversification, So they're very similar. Both funds can be a blend of underlying shares or other assets like bonds or cash, and a pool that defines the fundamental premise of the fund. So when we're talking about an investment pool, it's essentially an investment bucket. I like to think about ETF's as buckets, and those buckets are full of different shares and assets like cash or bonds or stocks, and it doesn't matter. It's all put into the bucket, and you go, Okay, nice bucket. Can I buy some of that bucket? And then you buy shares in that bucket, And that's essentially an ETF in a really really simplified way, which obviously gives you more exposure to diversification because instead of going and purchasing one into the due share in one individual company, you're purchasing into a pulled investment, which is essentially a bucket full of a whole heap of shares that then put you in a position where you automatically have exposure to all of those assets or all of those shares, which is to me a very sexy outcome Georgia. And then when it comes to the differences between ETFs and managed funds, when it comes to adding new funds, managed funds actually allow investors to cost effectively add or remove money through regular contributions or deductions, making them really suitable for dollar cost averaging. So dollar cost averaging is where you consistently invest into the market to make use of the highs and the lows of the market, so on average you have an average purchase price instead of trying to time the market, because no one can do that. And I've said before if I could time the market, I would be an incredibly wealthy human being. But in comparison with ETFs, investors are free to buy additional units at any time during the trading day, but usually when you're purchasing an ETF, brokerage is payable on every single transaction, and brokerage is typically a fixed dollar amount, So you might go to your trading platform and they might say, okay, each trade is fifteen dollars or forty dollars, depending on where you're investing, so ETFs might suit investors who are either making large or irregular investment. So for example, you might go, oh, I'm only going to invest every time I get to one thousand dollars to make sure that I'm not paying ridiculous brokerage, Whereas if you were investing pretty consistently, you might go, I don't really want to put money into an ETF every month because I only have fifty dollars to put in and brokerage is fifteen, and that's a really large percentage that I don't really want to lose just to brokerage, because that's a fee to get into the fund. So it's important to consider that. So I mentioned it before Georgia, they do differ when it comes to transparency, and this might not be true across the board. There might be some manager funds that are super transparent, but compared to many active managed funds, they are less transparent than ETFs because ETFs are extremely transparent, and it is very easy to find information about an ETF's underlying holdings because they're usually just available on that website, on the ETFs website. So you might go to Vanguard and it will tell you exactly what that ETF holds, whereas in comparison, managed funds are actually not required to disclose their portfolio holdings, and more often than not they only list their top ten investments, which, as somebody who likes to be in control, I don't.
Speaker 2: Really like that interesting, Okay.
Speaker 3: I mean that's not true. Across the board, there are a lot of managed funds that work really well and for full transparency. As you guys know, I am a legit financial advisor. I use managed funds a lot in my business, Zella, and I talk to clients about them because they can be really powerful. But you have to make sure that you're picking the right one and you fully understand the company and their ethics and what they are actually holding. This is just general.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when it comes to ethical investing, VEE, is it better to go with an ethical managed fund or like ats Like, what's the best way of doing that?
Speaker 3: Look, we've covered that in our ethical Investing podcast, But when it comes to investing ethically, we just need to understand exactly what that means. So unlike going to the supermarket Georgia and heading on over to the organic section, where you know all of that food sitting in the organic section has passed Australian standards to get their organic sticker. There's no such thing in the investment world for ethical investing. In fact, I could start an investment fund tomorrow and call it green, and you might automatically assume because it's called green, it is actually ethical. So we need to understand first what our own values are and what we would like to see reflected in the share market, because from my perspective, ethical means something different to everybody. Like you might go, oh, Victoria, ethical just means that they're good company, is treating their staff well, I go oh, great, And that's actually what a lot of companies do. They'll be like, oh, this is the sustainable portfolio and go oh, that means ethical. That is not the case by any stretch of the imagination, Whereas on the flip side, you might go, oh, actually, Victoria, I'm a vegan, I'm really into animal rights, I'm really into the environment, And for me, an ethical portfolio wouldn't have anything that impacts avcd FG and also doesn't invest in gambling, it doesn't invest in alcohol, and it doesn't invest in anything that would you know, impact this thing that I love. So that's why it's so important to understand your own values and then be able to see those values reflected in the asset that you are going to pick or you are going to purchase. So from my perspective, ethical investing is great. There are so many options. I only invest one hundred percent ethically in my business as Zella because that is really important to me and the values that my company holds. So I'm really lucky that I work in a business where I just get to call shots and I've made that decision. But not many advisors are in that position where they get to make that decision because they're usually adhering to investment mandates of their companies that they work for. But when it comes to ethical investing, yes, there are so many great options. There are ethical ETFs. In fact, there are so many ETFs out there you could literally go, I want to only invest in businesses that have women on their boards. There's an ETF for that. So I just think it is very cool and ETFs are limitless when it comes to what their values are and what they hold fabulous.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's move on now. V I am very excited for the next question. Oh, it has come from the new SHEI, and she wants to know how much you should responsibly spend on a wedding of a newshi. We wouldn't know, would we be?
Speaker 3: No, we're not married, can't help.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm saying that, like I'm sad. I'm not actually sad, visa a little bit sad.
Speaker 3: I'm not sad. I'm not. Oh my gosh, I would never want my partner to feel pressured to marry me. But also, where the hell is my ring? No kid, I kid, But at the end of the day, like, my friend, that's a question for your own values and your own ethics, Like, it's not a question that I could be like, the answer is twelve thousand dollars, Like, obviously that is responsible, because if I said, g twelve grand on a wedding, you might go Victoria. That's so much money. I can't afford that. That is absolutely not something that I could reasonably and responsibly spend. I've got, you know, true kids that I need to send to school, or my car needs fixing, or I don't even value weddings. I don't want to get married. And then on the flip side, someone could turn around and say twelve grand the average Australian wedding costs thirty six thousand dollars. That's nothing, So I think it's really important to remember our own values and put a number on that ourselves. Again, what your friends did is not a roughly of what you should do. And if your friends have gone and spent one hundred thousand dollars on their weddings, that does not mean that you need to do that. And to be honest, from my perspective, there's no such thing as how much should you responsibly spend on a wedding because furthering that, according to a survey they did, eighty two percent of couples dipped into their savings to pay for their wedding. Another sixty percent of couples god alone, and eighteen percent of couples use their credit card to pay for their wedding, which, when we're talking about responsibility, I don't know. I don't want to tut them, but at the end of the day, I would hate to think that you are starting your married life in debt. We want to start on the best possible footing and put ourselves in the best possible position. So if that was putting you in the best possible position from your perspective, then I'm all for it. But we need to consider this as not just a financial decision, but like a setting ourselves up for a good future decision. And yeah, I live in a world where I have a very diverse range of claes clients Georgia. I have had clients spend half a million dollars on weddings. I have had clients in lope and spend two grand on a wedding. I think I have a client actually who eloped and spent just like one hundred bucks on the certificate and then at the wedding registry. So that's the money win. Yeah, massive money win. But is it my place to judge them for how much they're spending? No? Is it my place to make sure that that amount is in line with their goals and values? Absolutely, and that half a million dollar wedding great, I'm so happy for them. It was absolutely in line with their budget and what they could afford. From my perspective, though, like, personally, would I ever spend that much morning? Oh god, I would simply pass away.
Speaker 2: Is it right that the average amount of is spend though, is about thirty six thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: It is thirty six grand is apparently what the average Australian is spending on a wedding.
Speaker 2: That's so much like half of your average earner's income.
Speaker 3: Really is insane to think that that's it, because also that's after tax money, and what you're talking about is the free tax income. Like, oh, that makes me feel kind of sick, but only because that average means that a lot of people are spending a lot of money on weddings. But furthering that, a lot of people we know are going into debt for weddings, and a lot of people are putting themselves in positions where they're not coming out of the other side of their wedding in the most financially successful position, and they might not know that they can actually completely control that decision. There's no have to when it comes to getting married.
Speaker 2: And remember that one in two marriages end in divorce anyway, So.
Speaker 3: I'm key way to bring the conversation.
Speaker 2: I'm like, pretty sure that's the stat but it is.
Speaker 3: Let's move on.
Speaker 2: We've got to be really stick in terms of keeping the costs down. If you are into a big wedding, Yes, do you have any tips there?
Speaker 3: Yes, budget, budget, budget, my friends. So you need to decide what you can comfortably afford to spend, and then you need to stick to it. We need to create a proper budy that includes everything. I think most people end up going over budget because they forget all the little things and how much they are going to add up. So potentially talking to friends or family who have gotten married before and ask them what did you pay for in your wedding that you forgot to budget for? Maybe Georgia this week, we can put a thread in the Facebook group and ask what money did you spend on your wedding that you didn't budget for or completely forgot about. Because this could be anything from oh, my gosh, Victoria, we forgot to book a car and we had to spend money on an Uber getting to our own wedding, all the way through to oh actually, when we did our spreadsheet, we thought we were real smart, but we forgot to put in a videographer and that was one of the things that my partner really wanted. So it could be like a sixty dollars Uber ride, or it could be a six thousand dollar videographer. It could be so many different things, but add up all the little things and break down the costs and work out what you are potentially going to need to, say, spend on each item, and be realistic, not what you would like to spend on each item, what you actually genuinely think you will spend. Because it's very nice to say I would love to think that I would only spend two hundred dollars in my wedding dress, but then deep down know that even the shops you're looking at dresses start at six hundred dollars. So it's just important to really think about not what would I like to spend. I know a lot of brides say that flowers were more expensive than they had considered. So we're not talking what you want to spend, but realistically what you are going to need to spend to get the outcome that you are looking for. So break down those costs, ask yourself what you could do yourself, do research, shop around to get a better deal, always always always negotiate, and then also have a think about those things that you could just chuck out, as in, things you don't need to include in your budget at all, that you might not want to do. It's funny I went to a wedding. A couple of years ago, one of my best friends got married and she made the conscious decision to not have a wedding cake. She's like, I don't even like cake. I don't want to have a cake, and nobody noticed it was even missing because we were too much of a good time. So I think it's really important to remember that guests aren't going to remember all of the nitty gritty and did they do this? And did they do those fancy bonbanieris they don't care. They just care how they felt on the day and usually if the food was any good, But they just care about that no one missed the wedding cake. And with wedding cakes often being more than five hundred dollars, maybe that's an easy way to save. But again, it's going to be based on your values. So are there some things and some traditions that you could easily skip without feeling like you are missing out? And then the next one is check online and compare prices to make sure you're getting the best deal.
Speaker 2: And probably like, don't tell anyone that you're getting married, Like I think.
Speaker 3: Five who cares on Saturday?
Speaker 2: It's just for lunch? And haven't you know, because there is there's like that wedding tax wedding to speak about it. It's like you can't if you it's it's just a cake from the cheesecake shop that'll cost you forty bucks. Still overpriced, I would say, but say it's for your wedding, and yeah, as you said, five hundred dollars, no thanks, Yeah, And.
Speaker 3: That's where we potentially want to look at maybe non wedding things to purchase for our wedding. So do you need to google bridesmaid's dresses or could you go to one of your favorite stores and look for some beautiful dresses that might not be called bride'smaid's dresses that would actually look the same. So I think it's all about being a little bit savvy and maybe one day, Georgia, one day, if if I am lucky enough to ever be planning a wedding, I could share that budget with you guys, in the same way I'm sharing my house for ren No budgets.
Speaker 2: Love All right, it is time for our final question of the day, and it comes from the lovely Shelley. So she has asked, what kinds of assets do you need to be a prove for a loan, there are a general amount of savings that increases your chances of being approved. I assume she's speaking about a home loan.
Speaker 3: I would assume she's speaking about a home loan as well. But my friend, Shelley, you don't need to have assets to be approved for a loan. You will need to have some savings behind you. If you're going for a home loan. For some lenders, that could be a full twenty percent. For some other lenders you might get away with five percent. It's going to really depend. If you've been wondering what type of mortgage fits you, head on over to our sister podcast, The Property Playbook to learn more about that, which is where I break down literally everything to do with property with my buyer's advocate best friend, Amy Lenardi. But when it comes to having assets, you don't necessarily need them, but you do usually need to show good savings habits. So the bank is going to ask, hey, g can I see your bank statements? How much money are you actually saving? What are you spending your money on? Can you actually afford this loan? So that's where budgeting and hash flow is going to become really important. But no, you don't need any specific assets to be approved for a loan except for the deposit and usually said proof that you are a financially savvy little human that they want to lend to.
Speaker 2: Would you say, v that your salary is more important than your deposit?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, because I've been doing some little thingies online, well, some little tests with NAB you know you can do like a mortgage calculator. Oh yeah, and this scal I thought I was killing it. I can only afford a tent.
Speaker 3: So at the end of the day, it's not actually what you earned, George King, it's what you can save. It is the difference between the money coming into your account and what is going out that is going to have the most power. If you put in front of me, somebody who earns sixty grand a year is so frugal save so much money. Is a sassy little human who does such a good job at saving. I know a bank would look at them very favorably in comparison to someone who had a half a million dollar income and is spending every single cent of that half a million dollars. They are going to look at that person and be like, no, like they don't have the capacity to pay back a loan. They don't have the ability to service that mortgage. They don't even have any ability to service the loans they've already got because they're not very financially savvy. It is about the difference between what you are earning and what you are spending that carries the most power.
Speaker 2: There you go, I didn't know that. Go buy a little housey house. Fun.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 2: That is all we have time for today, our second Q and A episode US.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, we have spoken for ages. I have loved this chart, but as always we need to wrap it up. So just before we head off, we'd like to acknowledge and pay respect to Australia's aboriginal and tourist right Island people's. They're the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and disguise all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring for the land on which we are able to learn. We pay our respects to elder's past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 2: And remember, guys that the advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or a financial decision, and we promise. Victoria Divine is an authorized representative of Australia Pacific Funds Management Proprietary Limited ABN three four one three two four six three two five seven AFSL three three nine one five one See you next week. Goes bye.