Speaker 1: Radio.
Speaker 2: She's on The Money Radio Show.
Speaker 3: With Victoria Divine starts Now, Hello and welcome to that. She's on The Money Radio Show podcast, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom.
Speaker 1: I'm just not giving you anything, Travels. I heard everything you said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, yeah, that's all you get this week, Cold Dead Air.
Speaker 2: We've had a very We've been busy.
Speaker 3: We're tie, Ye're exhaust say, we've had a show this week where we we.
Speaker 2: Love each other, don't lie.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's probably something that Victoria has made us put in our drinks before I have.
Speaker 4: So I've been spending a lot of time this week because I have been traveling on TikTok, right, And when you're traveling, you're exhausted, so you spend a lot of time mindlessly scrolling. And I have found myself Mormon TikTok, which arguably is my favorite place on TikTok to find myself. No, literally, the drama in that community is wild. It's like someone's cheating on someone else and like, I just it's wild. Now they're getting divorced and like obviously in Utah that's like so frowned upon. Anyway, I am so deep it is not funny. But when you're a Mormon, you don't drink coffee or tea or any kind of alcohol. And up until recently, you weren't even allowed to drink any drinks with caffeine in them. But now coke is accepted. So all of the Mormon mums on TikTok are going wild for diet coke, and all through Utah they have these soda shops. Right, and I have recently discovered a thing called true lime. This is not sponsored, it is just good. In fact, it's a really bad money loss because I had to import it from the US. But I bought these little sachets of crystallized lime. Not don't like, let me hear out that full sentence before you cut me off, but a crystallized lime and you poppet in your drink tastes exactly like fresh lime. So I have been carrying that everywhere. I've been putting it in my water, in my mineral water, I've been putting it in my diet cokes. And it's changed my life. So that's my big money tip this week. Waste your money on crystallized lime.
Speaker 1: Okay, story is also wearing a Mormon girdle, and I wonder how your undergarment. Sorry, it really actually suits you the one.
Speaker 4: I really really I am quite deep on Mormon TikTok. So if people would like to send me videos on TikTok that are not related to Mormon TikTok so I can find my way out of there, that would be great.
Speaker 1: I'm on daytalk. I'm going to send you some.
Speaker 4: If you could send me gaytalk videos, that would be a better place for me.
Speaker 1: What are you getting?
Speaker 3: You're getting cow trap took right, I'm getting amish one, mate, amish.
Speaker 4: I really like you know, there's high Land cows and on that TikTok too.
Speaker 2: I don't know what happens with that.
Speaker 3: Anyway. You were talking about wasting money on things. We're going to save you some money. We're going to talk about whether private school versus public school is any good. Also, Divine, you've got a pretty damn good tip that I am not going to tell people just yet because they've got to listen.
Speaker 4: I always have good tips if you.
Speaker 3: Like entertainment, this is going to be a tip for you. All right, let's get into the show. She's on the Money radio starts right now. We thought we'd do this this Saturday morning.
Speaker 4: Let me work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to talk about flipping. I don't know where you stand on flipping, Victoria, but I know.
Speaker 4: You're currently doing flips, no.
Speaker 2: Wheels, fling the BD.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I can flip the bird. I can flip a cud of the.
Speaker 1: Master of Flipping off. Yeah, but I'm talking about house flipping. I watched The Block. The Block is back. They're like, we're doing their eighteenth hundredth season with Scott cam and Shelley Krabb and all. I always watched that show When I get so inspired, I want to flip because it seems like you get such a good return on investment. And I know you're currently flipping or are you flipping or you're just renovating.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, we're not flipping. We are renovating because the house we bought was definitely not as livable as it could have been. So when we bought it, we moved straight in, even though it was like a little bit worse for wear because one we couldn't afford to renovate straight away we had to save some coin. But two we were like, you know what, we're just going to make do so now we're renovating and we'll move back into the house and hopefully we will live there for a fair few years to come.
Speaker 2: She's flipping with the other three houses that she owns me.
Speaker 4: I don't own any other properties. If I'm being honest, I would love to think that one day I'll be baller enough. Who knows you're the one that's so. I don't know why we're calling me out.
Speaker 2: Let's just move on from that.
Speaker 3: But apparently all these celebrities are doing it is definitely the cool thing to be doing now, and it does look so easy.
Speaker 4: But well, the block makes it look easy. People on Instagram makes it look easy. I follow these girls on Instagram who I'm obsessed with three birds. They make it look like a dream. My house is not going to look anything like that, but that's okay.
Speaker 3: Is there anything you thought was going to look amazing and then it looked absolutely rubbish? Or did your partner Steve O like accidentally put a sledgehammer through the wall, Like, have you experienced.
Speaker 1: Something like that?
Speaker 4: No, nothing thing yet. They have only gone through the demo stage, so the point was actually to put things through the wall. I'll be a little bit more concerned if we get like a slab of marble in there and someone breaks that, because I'll be a little bit salty. But our budget has completely blown out because trades are so much more expensive. So that's why it's kept getting pushed off and off. Like I bought this house and announced on Instagram to at that point in time, like my four followers, that I was going to renovate my house, and it's actually another eight months past that because everything has been blowing out. Trades are hard to secure. You know, all of the things that we're purchasing are like thirty percent more expensive, which is meant we've rejigged the budget a bit to cut it back and changed the way that we're doing it because I just can't justify it if I'm being honest.
Speaker 2: No, hang on a second.
Speaker 3: You were telling me about a SPA that you were putting in, mister viral, All.
Speaker 2: Right, what happens?
Speaker 4: Right? I don't need to be called out on national radio.
Speaker 2: You're doing that at about it?
Speaker 1: What's happening with the SPA.
Speaker 4: I know we're not because it was going to be too hard. So I wanted a SPA because I have learned from Richie, who is one of our producers that you can buy SPA's secondhand on Facebook marketplace for a very good deal. I was like, this is a great idea. Turns out the house I have doesn't have any back access and we have you know, power lines and stuff out the front of the house. So when I asked my builder, you know, can we get a SPA through the back, and then he was like, yeah, of course. So what we'll need to do is get a helicopter and have it lifted up and over. And I was like, ah, I wish I never asked. So found a five hundred dollars one that you can buy from targets inflatable. Probably going to go with that.
Speaker 1: I've got that Victoria. Have you actually every night? Oh my god, I'm doing the show from it right now.
Speaker 4: O my well, I just need an inflatable one then, because there is no chance that I am going to pay for a helicopter to lift one into my garden.
Speaker 2: Not another one. I mean, want to tell you the one.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, the one that takes you to the radio station every weekend to do the show.
Speaker 4: Can we're talking about that. Let's just open up the lines.
Speaker 3: What do you reckon, Mitch, Yeah, I reckon, we do thirteen one oh six five. We want to know from you right now, if you're renovating or if you have renovated reno blowouts, what were you expecting? How much did it actually cost you? And we want to hear those absolute crazy stories.
Speaker 4: Because let me work kid down six.
Speaker 1: All right, we're talking renolds and when the budget blew out because Victoria apparently there wasn't enough concrete in the state of Victoria to build her helipad, so she's got a headache after headache after headache. She's currently trying to slip her house. So we want to know reno blowouts, when expectations verse reality, when it goes wrong, when the budget blows out. Thirteen one oh six five.
Speaker 3: Who do we have, trav We have got Jarlene, who I kind of want to sing like that Dolly Parton song, je Joe, Jarlie, Jarlene.
Speaker 2: What happened? Mate? Talk to us about your reno blowouts.
Speaker 5: So we bought an older house about five years ago, and we decided to get married that year, and we had a lot of Rehninno's to do at the same time. Time is the wedding, and a week out from the wedding really couldn't pay some of the bills because we didn't really think it's through that.
Speaker 4: Well, ah, you are leaving my worst nightmare. We literally our like official move in date is like literally the day before our wedding, because obviously I like cutting things fine and that that gives me mad anxiety. Charlie. I think that's really rude of you to call and give that information to me at this point in time.
Speaker 2: I know about that.
Speaker 1: Do you give you this time, Charlie, Charlie, why don't you just cancel the wedding venue a house and do a house wedding. See trave and I are on the same page. That is cost Maybe it's he's on the money because just have the wedding at home.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, the wedding was at home, so we were running for the wedding to be at home.
Speaker 6: So I wanted everything to look.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm kind of getting that.
Speaker 3: You know, I think is at friends when Ross marries the English chick and.
Speaker 2: They're going that like really dilapidated building. Is that what it was like, Charlie.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: You got to make do with what you've got.
Speaker 4: You know, that's what my house looks like.
Speaker 2: And that's what she said about her husband as well.
Speaker 3: Anyway, get your calls on thirty one or six five talking reddo blowouts.
Speaker 2: What happened to you?
Speaker 1: Laza? I love?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 6: How are you good?
Speaker 2: Mane? How are you? What happens?
Speaker 6: Gosh? This was all the beginning of COVID. So we found up we're pregnant. So we decided that we're going to have to extend the house, and we decided to include two new bathrooms and add an extra bedroom upstairs.
Speaker 4: That's exciting.
Speaker 6: It was either that or move house.
Speaker 2: It's probably a bit easier option, if I'm.
Speaker 6: On us looking back now, I wish we did. But not only was that pregnant and quite hormonal, but also very conscious of money given that COVID was happening, And so we engage these to carpenters and we figned a contract for thirty five thousand dollars. Okay, And I've always thought, you know, you've always have a bit of a buffer, and my parents have always said, you know, whatever you get quoted always at about ten to fifteen percent. So we had that buffer and it was all going to be taken out of them mortgage as well.
Speaker 4: That's some valued in the property too, So not the worst idea.
Speaker 6: Not the worst idea, I guess. But then you know they started to work one day, one of the treaties has decided not to turn up. Oh good, So I'm calling, I'm calling, I'm texting. He basically texted back about maybe eight hours later to say, oh, I'm not coming back.
Speaker 4: Why though, my brain?
Speaker 1: Why why?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: That was my question and the only text I got back was job seeker is far more lucrative to me.
Speaker 1: Because there's a lot to unpack here.
Speaker 2: Hang a novel of Hang on a second.
Speaker 3: Are you telling me, Laza that trades are lazy?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: This country is built on tradees guys.
Speaker 3: So it might take a little bit longer Mitch, but it is built on him.
Speaker 1: Yes, my heart, My heart bleeds. All right.
Speaker 4: I have an idea we move on because I feel like this is dangerous territory.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm a decent mechanic by trade. I'm allowed to say that. Anyway.
Speaker 3: If you've got yourself for money's a lemma, and you want us to help you, just search. She's on the money on socials this week, I believe it's well, it says Andrea. But I think we can all agree it's pronounced Andrea.
Speaker 1: I know we'll probably get her on and she'll be like, it's pronounced on once advice. Andrea wants to know private or public school for secondary education? Victoria, I know you've got opinions on this. I do too. We'll unpack it. Next. This is she's on the Money radio show.
Speaker 3: We've got ourselves a money Jelemma guy. So it's time to do this.
Speaker 1: All right? Each week we bring someone's financial story on the ED again Victoria's advice on what they should do. So Andrea has sent us a DM. She wants to know private versus public secondary education and if it's worth coughing up the money for private school. So she says, Hello, Vi, I've been arguing with my husband about whether we should send out three children to a private or public secondary school. He was a private school boy, and he's on a big tradition. Even if it means we'll have to make huge sacrifices. He won't budge. I went to a public school and she turned out. Okay, we've been quoted fees to the private school, the one that he wants it will cost them thirty k per year get this per child. She just feels like, I know the money could be spent better elsewhere. Do you think this is for UV it would be irresponsible to spend this much money? Or is private school the way to go?
Speaker 4: Do you know what parents want? Unsolicited opinions from people who aren't parents yet, So I'm glad you asked so greas in mind, I just think it's such a personal decision, right, Like, if you've got three kids at thirty grand each, that's ninety thousand dollars a year that is actually higher than the average salary and Australian makes each you So like, if you've got the funds and that's aligned to your values, then you do you. But I also think it's really dependent on who the child is and what they thrive with or not. You know, I went to a Catholic school, so it wasn't private, but it also wasn't public. I kind of was in the middle ground. But I'm also like, let's be honest, like I'm probably the biggest nerd you've ever met. I'm the finance podcaster, So I feel like someone like me I probably was going to thrive inside or outside public school or private school. Like, I don't think it really mattered because I was one teeing up friendships with the librarian and to asking questions from grade seven about how to apply to be the debating team captain. So I just feel like my career, yeah, I just feel like my experience when it comes to education was probably very different to you know, other kids who might be really interested in trades, or really interested in working with their hands, or actually need a lot more discipline and guidance. So to be honest, I feel like this is a really personal decision. But I also want to look on the flip side of wealth creation and go, if you've got ninety thousand dollars a year to spend, because that's post tax too, that's so much money. If you've got that money, would it actually be better to be investing that or even buying a home in a different location where the public school is better. I don't feel like the question I'm being asked right now is, Victoria, do you think public or private edge ducation is better? Because like, to me, that's a very deep question to ask. But if you're in the financial circumstance where like we can afford this. I think we actually should be looking at whether you want to afford that or there are other luxuries in life that you would like to afford your children, right, Like we're ninety grand a year and then going to public school. Look at the holidays you could have, or even maybe that means that you know, you as a parent could actually go back to part time work to be more present. Like there are just so many options when it comes to finance. And yeah, it's just such a personal question.
Speaker 1: It's tough. I also think school is more for socializing than it really is for learning, especially high school. Like go to university to actually learn your specialty. But for me, I went to a public school, and all in.
Speaker 4: Our case, we probably should be looking at private.
Speaker 1: Wow. I was about to get up on my soapbox and preach, but because I'm not private school educated, I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 3: I think as well, it's more about sometimes the parents just kind of saying, hey, look my kids go to private school. It's like buying that flashy car or whatever. It's all about it it's more for jay kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and to me, if you really need to look at what the kids are going to thrive in and also the reason why you're making those decisions because as.
Speaker 1: I also, can I just say, the school uniform suck and your kids will look ugly. It's always like some sort of World War two jacket and these awful pants and boots.
Speaker 4: I got really lucky the school I went to. The colors were navy and white, so I feel like that was quite complimentary. But as yeah, I know, right like, I just went with my vibe. I liked the aesthetic.
Speaker 2: Do you know what? I think?
Speaker 3: We've actually saved Andrea and her husband ninety thousand dollars a year, because that's how good we are right here at she's on the money.
Speaker 4: I don't say we don't do anything for you.
Speaker 3: Our favorite segment of all times coming up right now, the same Saturday every week, Victoria, you give us a sneaky couple of little tips and how we can keep more money in our bank account, which you got for us this week to vite.
Speaker 4: Well, this week, I'm going to go first, but Mitch said he has a.
Speaker 2: Good Do you remember what happened last week when we said this, Okay.
Speaker 4: Look, just because we don't trust him doesn't mean we shouldn't hear him out the.
Speaker 1: Amount of bullying I face on this show. This is a good tip. You do the show.
Speaker 4: You can take that to HR later.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: All right, so here's my tip. All right, So you guys might not like this, because Mitch, I don't think that you would ever part with anything in your wardrobe, but it is time to do a bit of a spring clean, and while you are there, you can either sell some stuff that you're not using or donate it or put it to better use. I have recently gone through my wardrobe and pulled out a few dresses that were from last summer that I was saving for this summer that I just know I'm not going to wear, and I've chucked them on Facebook Marketplace. Wham bam, thank you, Ma'm fifty bucks each dress. I've gotten rid of a few, and now I can go on by another one.
Speaker 1: You want to post them? Or did your pa post them?
Speaker 4: Do you know what? What's your tip? Mitch? So I can cut it straight down.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, Mitch, you look amazing in those summer dresses as well, Mate, you.
Speaker 1: Look thank you. I went to Linkraft and got about three meters of linen and just cut a hole in it all right, just washing my fat guy. Honey, listen to you guys. Let's write more ammunition for HR after the show in the corner. My tip is fantastic. I think we should all grow our vegetables. Let me finish in our own home garden. So you get some soil from Bunnings. Lettuce was eleven dollars recently, but actually would.
Speaker 4: Drive me to try and grow my own vegetables.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you got a Bunnies, you get your own seed links. Now it's a nine to eighteen week process. Of course, for the growing, it's a long game. It's an investment.
Speaker 4: Commitment exactly.
Speaker 1: It's a nine to eighteen weeks and you'll have your own lettuce by that time. Let us will have already skyrocketed to one hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: So you can sell it on Facebook Marketplace. You don't have anything in your wardrobe. You can just sell the lettuces you just.
Speaker 1: Grew, Thank you very much. There you go. That's called cross collaboration. And yeah, you could do carrots, you can do turmeric root.
Speaker 4: That's a great tip.
Speaker 6: Mitch.
Speaker 4: We're in your apartment. Are you putting your reggie guards?
Speaker 3: We're in your west apartment. Are you doing this, mate?
Speaker 1: I have to get counsel approvement approval, but it's coming, it's coming. I'll send you photos of my cucumbers.
Speaker 4: Right, how much are you going to spend on like seedlings and all of that, Like how much it'll be free?
Speaker 1: It'll be spun con with me in Bunning's warehouse.
Speaker 4: Oh right, yeah, okay, I'll hit them up. I'll let them know if they're looking for a new influencer. It is million dollar Mitch. Al right, So I actually I'm just moving on. I have no comment. I have another tip for you guys, And I remember this one from primary school. Triv you're probably too old you would remember it from maybe like your teenage years. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Do you remember the entertainment books? You don't remember entertaining? I remember you just choosing to be a pest. Okay. So the entertainment books were books that you got and you could buy them, and I remember they used to sell them in the office at my primary school. You go and get them, and they had all these coupons in it, so like coop for the movies, and it might be like take two friends and the popcorns free and they were jam packed full of value. And obviously that's gone a little bit out of trend. It's not in vogue anymore. But you know what is an app? So they've made an app amazing. So now you get the Entertainment Book. They haven't updated that. It's called the Entertainment Book, but it's an app now. So it's full of like a whole heap of really good discounts and different deals like they do everything from restaurants to experiences, to weekends away to free popcorn at the movies. It's money win.
Speaker 3: Now do you have to I remember you bought the Entertainment Book? Do you can you buy a subscription?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: I don't know how it works, to be honest, I just know it exists and I was impressed. Share it with the reunity. Yeah, that's all I've got.
Speaker 3: So anyone can tell us how it works to hit us up at ses on the money anywhere on social is that.
Speaker 4: The contribution is still better than Mitch's.
Speaker 3: It is one hey speaking that we are going to get out of here for your Saturday morning. Mitch, you've got to stick around. That's your punishment for bringing crap tips. You've got do another show The Life on Cut with britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: That is coming up with you next Yeah, I don't mind.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I'll have ninety K send my kids to private school with all the shows that I do, so and I'll do it. Maybe I'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Everybody, all right, see you bye,