Speaker 1: When was the last time that you had a blood test where the results normal? Did you have a little up or down in some of the numbers?
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: On today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we chat what is normal versus what is optimal on your blood test results and some of the numbers that you really should be aiming for. Hi, I'm Leanne Wood and I'm Toddy Burrow, and together we bring you The Nutrition Couch, the weekly podcast that keeps you up to date on everything that you need to know in the world of nutrition today. As well as blood tests. We have a new study that deep dives and nutrient dangers associated with GLP one use. We have a new cereal toper that our listener sent in for us to review, and our listener question is all about takeaways. But to kick us up today, Susie, we are chatting blood tests because you saw an interesting post I think linked to longevity online and I did a swipe across post a couple of weeks ago, which gained quite a lot of traction because people are really interested in this. So we'll start up the segment by saying that we are not doctors and you should always get medical advice, but as clinical dieticians. We do interpret some of these results for our clients, and we do often send them back to have further conversations with their doctors or sometimes say all right, now, we want you to go back and get this additional test because this alone and isolation doesn't really give us a full picture. So it is worth always having what we like to call a multidisciplinary team, you know, people sort of in your corner at all times, looking at for a broad range of things, not just one specific result on a very specific blood test. Because often women are always told you're fine, everything's normal, and you know, you see it time and time again, and they just they feel awful and they know in themselves like this isn't normal. I shouldn't be feeling this way. Or I'm doing the same thing I was doing twelve months ago, yet I feel absolutely awful doing it, like something is off. So we thought we'd bring to the segment the top five or so blood mark is that we tend to see for busy women. So today we're going to cover Google's iron, vitamin D, lipids, thyroid, and estrogen. And I think they're probably the biggest ones that busy women should be getting tested in my opinion, once a year. So if you are listening and you haven't had a blood or you literally can't remember the last time you had a blood test, it's probably time to pop off to the doctor and go and get some of these things checked. Because you know a lot of people are not even symptomatic. You know, some of these ranges might be out of range and you don't really have any symptoms yet. So it is always a really good idea to get a regular blood test once a year because then you know what your baseline is. So if some of these markers start moving too high or too low, you'll know if that is a bit different compared to your normal baseline. So the first one is what we call fasting glucose, and along with that goes HbA one C, which is a measure or marker of your three monthly average of your glucose. So in Australia, a normal fasting glucose on a blood test is about three point six to five point four million miles a liter. Anything above five point five is sort of that impaired glucose, sort of pre diabetes, and anything over seven that million miles a liter is considered you know, diabetes in Australia. So technically, if you were to see five point four on your fasting glucose, this is still considered normal. But Susie and I work with a lot of busy women who are trying to lose weight, who might have some metabolic insufficiencies, and if we saw something like that on a blood test, we wouldn't immediately freak out. We wouldn't immediately say or you need to medication, but we would kind of have a think about it and say or right from a metabolic health perspective, you know anything above sort of that five point three five point four is starting to creep up there, right, And then in line we'd look at HBO and C as well. So is that HBO and C over time creeping up? Has that gone from five point one to perhaps five point four or five point seven now? And is that creeping out? Because things like this alongside like a waste measurement and also looking at you know, your muscle mass, your fat mass and that distribution may suggest things like early insulin resistance or pre diabetes, which for a lot of you know clients in Australia, they're not really getting diagnosed with these things until they're full blown diabetic. So that's the first one. The next one we see a lot is linked to iron, particularly ferotum. So in Australia with our labs, ferretin is generally about fifteen to one hundred and fifty, so that is a very very wide range. And I often see women who come back with a blood test with a ferretin of like sixteen or seventeen and they're like, oh no, the doctor said that it's fine, and technically it is within range. Technically it is normal. But if a mens raating woman had a ferretin level that low, they are going to feel so much better once their ferretin is honestly above like at least fifty, if not seventy or eighty or close to one hundred, particularly if they are someone who is postpartum, they are actually symptomatic, like they're quite fatigued, they're training heavily and they menstrate regularly because that ferretin level can you keep dropping over time as well. So often I see that a lot where women are like, I'm just exhausted and their ferretin is so low, but technically it's normal. And alongside that fatigue, often we might see, you know, their hair falling out, really poor exercise tolerance, you know, finding that they're breathing a lot heavier, fatigue, brain fog, all of those things can occur as your hemoglobin starts to drop. So this is a really common one where often we're told that you're fine but actually having an optimal result ie above sort of that fifty to seventy you're going to feel so much better from a symptom perspective and an energy perspective. Now, the next one's Vitamin D and we're quite lucky here in Australia that it is quite well where I live anyway, in Brisbane and Queensland, it can get quite hot, particularly in summer, but coming out of the winter months, I think it's something like thirty percent of Australians have a vitamin D deficiency. So a deficiency in Australia is less than fifty on your blood test. And for an adequate bone health from the Enercrine Society of Australian Osteoporosis Society of Australia, we are looking for adequate bone health over fifty. However, a lot of practitioners actually consider seventy five to one hundred to be the optimal level when we're talking about bone density, muscle strength, and immune health as well. But often you know, women are sitting in that low fifty. So again technically not insufficient, but not necessarily ideal either, particularly in menopausal women where bone density becomes even more important. So that's where i'd really be asking for a copy of your blood test, having a look at that vitamin D and really seeing if you can get your levels up over that you know, seventy five closer to that one hundred range. Again, from a bone health perspective, it's going to be for most healthy women a lot more ideal. Now passive a SUSI in a sect to do estrogen and thyroid. But in terms of lipid again cholesterol levels, a lot of my clients have said, you know, my cholesterol's fine, but really, as dietitians, what we're taking a closer look at LDL, HDL and tricl ride. So your LDL is your quote unquot your bad cholesterol. Your HDL is quote unquote your good cholesterol. So LDL ideally we want less than three HDL, we want more than one, but honestly more than about one point three ideally in women and triglycerides, we often want to see under two. But again this reflects your risk factors. You know, do you have a family history of high cholesterol? Have you had, you know, parents with a heart attack, have you had other issues or are you generally well and healthy, You've had no sort of cardiac issues in your family? Do you also have insulin resistance or diabetes? So context matters when we're looking at some of these numbers as well. Do you have a genetic family history of high cholesterol? All of these sorts of things matter, but actually looking further than just total cholesterol is really really important for a lot of women as well. All right, So as you want to chat through estrogen, because that's an important one for a lot of women as we start getting over that kind of late thirties forties, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It is? But you're better than I'm not going through the numbers i'd have to normally interpret blood test results from a person of that numbers. I don't memorize all the reference ranges, but I think the main messages I wanted to get across was it's not that one off so often, and I think it's because gpees are pressed for time, and sometimes we're seeing gps that maybe we see you just occasionally, they're not actually someone that we've been invested with our healthy and you might go to a medical center or be looking for a script, and so they're just all they're doing is scanning and looking for abnormal results, whereas a lot of these variables they track over time, particularly things like glucos, vitamin D iron. Absolutely. You know, I had a breastfeeding mum who had low ferretin, and as soon as you've got low ferretin, even if it's within normal range, if it's on the low stage, you will feel like you've been hit by a bus. It is really hard to exercise activities of normal living and encouraging busy mums to oral supplement iron when their ferresin is so low, it's never going to get back to normal ranges. So I think it's more really track yourself over time. Just because the doctor says it's fine doesn't mean it is, particularly if you're exhibiting symptoms. The ones I constantly see are the low ferretin level. And your eye might be normal, but your ferishin or stores are low. Certainly I see it with thyroids. I find that doctors can be you know, I don't want to say blase a, but unless it's really clinical, they won't act, whereas if you can be you know, one point off it being high or low, you often need to act. I've just had a blood test come through now and the doctors said that it's normal, and I've actually looked at bloods and it's not. It's really out of whack, and I would be looking for a second opinion not I think for women listening who are in their forties and fifties, what you're looking for is declining ustrogen over time, so you don't have to wait till you literally have none in your body to act. And of course you have to take into account of contraception and time of month and all those things. But ultimately, if your levels are dropping over time, that is a sign that you are in perry, same as we've seen before. If your LDL cholesterol is creeping up, that indeed, if you're in your forties and fifties, is certainly your imperium moving towards menopause. And that's the time to act with all of those things, because increasing LDL can be simply suggestive of increased information in the body. There are certainly a whole range of dietary things and strategies we can do to help reduce that. That might be a time to introduce plant sterols into your diet. And in the case of estrogen, if you are exhibiting symptoms, and even if you're not, you know these. We know there's beneficial outcomes for women to be optimizing estrogen levels. From a skin health perspective, from a bone health perspective, these are all signs it's time to act, and so I would be looking for declines over time. If your estrogen is reducing year on year out, I would be acting. And it's not enough because even myself, I remember going to the doctor and twelve months prior being told my estrogen was fine, and then going to a gynecologist a year later and telling me that I literally was in menopause like that. It didn't just drop overnight. But I had a doctor who wasn't interpreting it over time, she was just looking at it was still normal. And of course we see it all the time. With glucose. You can see people consistently going from a four millimual per liter fast and glucose up to four point eight, up to five point two, and no one says anything, Well, that's increasing, you're on the way to diabetes. You don't want to wait till you've got diabetes to act. So I would be looking if your gluecose is increasing year in year out, there are issues there with your insulin and you want to be managing it. And certainly your HbA one c if it's on the high end of normal, I would not be happy. You don't want a high HbA, you want low when it comes to aging, because high glucose levels, even if they're still in a normal range, are doing damage to your cell. That's the aging process. That's glucose metabolism, that's insulin action. So these are the ones you want to track over time. And even now, get out your old blood tests and see are these levels of things like glucose of your thioid, hormones of your estrogen. Are they changing over time? That is a signis act when it comes to optimal aging. And I have no doubt lean in future years there will be more and more of these kind of longevity clinics which are looking at preventative health, not just the old school medicine, which is a thing when people are sick. It's prevention now when it comes to health and longevity. So everyone listening, I want you to dig out all your bloods, take a look at those things, and if your glucose is increasing, if your cholesterol is increasing, even if it's still normal for women, particularly in your forties and fifties, it's time to act now before it becomes so bad that it's much much harder to get down. So I don't think we've actually ever discussed this, but I thought it was a really worthwhile discussion and I'm seeing it along line. You've done it as well, And these are the ones that I'm particularly interested in. Certainly iron because I think if you're feeling not great, get your iron back up, because then you'll be in a better position to exercise. Glucose thyroid certainly needs action if it's higher on the low end, and estrogen for women going through those years are three to keep an eye on. And there's more. But yeah, you can traff it over time and you can see the increases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, And I think it's really important to reiterate this wasn't a segment to baships they're so busy, they see so many people every single day. We're just saying that at some point you have to take your health into your own hands. You have to be aware of your numbers. As Susie said, get out your own blood tests and actually book a longer appointment with your GP. I know that my GP is wonderful, but her standard appointment is like ten or fifteen minutes. But she does offer a longer consultation if you actually want to have a chat about some of these things. So sometimes the onus does come back on us. We can't just say, oh, well, my GP said it was fine. It is really important to actually be aware of some of these numbers. And I'll quickly run through thyroid because as you said, Susie, it is really really important. And often what we're looking at on blood tests is the TSH and the free T four. But with the TSH that's a really important one because most Australian labs. I've just looked this up. I don't know these numbers off the top of my head, Susie. So if anyone thinks I to, I don't, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna say, Meg PRESI she knowing all the numbers. God I couldn't remember any of them.
Speaker 1: I just look this up TSH. The reference range in Australia is zero point four to four, and that is sometimes up to four point five. So technically a TSH of three point eight is you know, generally considered quite normal. But if you aren't LinkedIn with an endochronologist, you're seeing a fertility specialist. Often these specialists prefer to see numbers between you know, one to two point five. We don't want too low, we don't want too high, particularly if you are somebody who was trying to conceive, you're in perimenopause, you're in menopause, or you're quite symptomatic. And from a thyroid perspective, a lot of the symptoms that we see women present with our you know, difficulty losing way to weight gain, fatigue, constipation, or just a really low mood as well. So a lot of times we're told, oh, your theroid is fine. Technically yes, but is it optimal? Not always, So these are just some of the things to be aware of. You might be told that it's fine, but fine is very different to optimal. And I don't know about you, Susie, but you know, most of us actually prefer optimal. So it is a really good I guess segment or discussion to just say, all right, we need to have a little bit of owners here, and we need to be aware of some of these numbers and sort of have an extra conversation with doctors, perhaps fire the specialists who will give us a little bit more time in the room and have a chat about some of these numbers. And for some of these things they actually do require specialists, not just general GPS. If you're really worried about your thyroid function, perhaps it's time to get a referral and go and see and end a chronologist. Sometimes, you know, GPS aren't actually the best people to be interpreting and giving additional things for some of these numbers. Sometimes that is up to more so as specialists. So I do think it is a really important.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's more I think, coming back to the GP conversation, I think it's more the difference between sort of what's the word for it, like acute medicine versus preventative Look like, what is the word wanking preventative health?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, preventative health, yeah.
Speaker 2: Holistic health. I think I don't because I think that you can go to a specialist and have exactly the same feedback. You know, I can send people to endose in their life. It's normal. You've got to have a medical professionals who's interested in preventative type of health. And there's more and more of those integrative clinics popping up where they're looking at optimizing health versus just checking that you're not clinical. So keep one that medical training is very much was a clinical focus when people are sick, when there's an issue, when people are on well, Whereas there's a shift now to that more integrative health professional, longevity clinics, preventive medicine. That's the ones who are going to have a special eye for that versus you know, acute doctors who are looking for issues and basically to fix them because that's a very traditional medical model. So you've sort of got to get yourself to the right person, I would say, because I've had clients. You know, it's not bagging up medical doctors by any means. Same with dietitians. You're going to get dietitians who are better at more acute clinical conditions versus preventative help. But I think that it is you want someone who has that background and interest, rather than there's a problem, let's fix it. You've got to sort of research and be across people who have that interest. There's more and more of them popping up everywhere because you spent a lot. Specialist are so expensive, like you've got to make sure you're actually getting value, like how much they are hundreds and hundreds of dollars, So you've got to be the right person.
Speaker 1: Some of those integrative clinics, though, so I think it is important if you do go to one that it actually does have a proper medical professional in there. It's not just like a holistic woo woo, you know, so and so, because you know, there are a lot of different specialties who are calling themselves doctors who aren't technically medical doctors, right, Like I think osteopaths and cairos can call themselves doctors, but they're not actual medical doctors. So just be aware of that as well. If you're going for some medical advice, make sure you are seeing a medical doctor, because I do really think that that science and that evidence based background is still very very important. But I think a lot of these integrated clinics aren't necessarily run by medical doctors, and in my opinion, that is riskier than moving outside of a GP in my opinion.
Speaker 2: True, I was looking at there was sort of one of these doctors online who you know, they seem to know everything. And then when I looked to as a cairopractor and I was like, I may you specistic water backs really like, definitely check. You want a medical doctor who's a medical training one hundred percent. And that's the good thing about some of those sort of online people like doctor merklea Harbor, They're very well qualified. So always certainly do a little bit of a check there. All right. Another medical topic that to go to our fancy was there was some data that came out just this week actually looking at golp one medications. And I know we've talked about this several times recently, but the reason we have talking about it is a lot of people are using them because suddenly they've become readily available. It's moved passways and pick. Now you've got access ready access to Manjarra with Gobi, and people are like, well less scared. I see medical professionals openly prescribing them for weight loss. I guess you know, people go to a doctor and they're winging about weight and a doctor would say, well, do you want to try medication? So it's sort of become a lot more common. But there was a warning raised in relation to nutrient deficiencies, and this was an interesting one because it's a nutrient deficiency that doesn't come off of firm, but medical doctors are seeing it more because of the impact that a golp one can have on appetite. So this doesn't surprise me leand because what I've also seen is if I'm working with a client on it with a golp one, and often it's clients who haven't started, they've already been on one and the weight loss is slowed, so they'll come to see what's going on with the diet. And what I notice is, unlike earlier in time where GPS might be prescribing a manjara for example, I like to keep the dose low and then work in conjunction with diet and exercise, because then I find you using the golp one as at all, but you're ultimately changing lifestyle and minimizing muscle wasting, which comes from significantly reducing calorie intake and thus helping to protect metabolism. But I'm seeing more and more doctors are just following the recommendation from pharmaceutical companies, which is to bump it up, so you can go from sort of a doseive so and so to just continue to put it right up. And of course for most people how they respond is they stop eating, and they might be eating five hundred, eight hundred calories per day, but that's really, I would say, metabolically damaging. And I've always argued that with eight hundred calorie diets, I don't know who, I don't care who is promoted them in the media. As a dietitian, I have fundamental issues with diets that are that low in calories for anyone, particularly for people who are hundred killows or more, because that means you will be wasting a serious amount of muscle mass and really basically just stringing metabolism of time. But what the Systematic Review publishes this week found was that users of GLP ones were at extremely high risk of developing vitamin C deficiency. So if that doesn't sound familiar, I want you to think Captain Cook and Scurvy on the first fleet, where the travelers didn't have access to fresh friuting vegetables for months at a time and actually became deficient and vitamin C. And this is a nutrient retake the ground and vitamin C. It's primarily in citrus fruits, kiwe fruit, but also leafy green vegetables, tomatoes, sweet potato, red capsicum, and we need a minimum of about forty milligrams per day, but I would argue that upwards intakes of one hundred the close to the higher basically the better because it's a water soluble vitamin. You'll excreep with no damage. Higher amounts I myself actually take and make a jose of vitamin C now as an antiaging supplement, and it's sort of one of those things you can do to protect the cell, but also very powerfully involved in immune function and wound healing. And so, yeah, that was an interesting one, but it doesn't surprise me Land because when people are not eating a lot, what happens is they instantly ditch their salad and veggie. So they're usually not eating a lot of that anyway, so their daily intake might be something along the lines of a coffee or a protein shake because they're told everyone's told all protein, protein, protein, so they're focusing on that protein yogurt, and then they'll have lunch. So what's quick and easy to grab if they're hungry again, milk, coffee, sushi, that kind of food that's easy to eat. Snacks. If people are snacking, they'll have a snap bar as I talk about often, very rarely you people grab a piece of fruit and then dinner. You know, they're sticking to protein and they're not getting you know, two cups three cups of brightly colored veggies. So it doesn't surprise me, but I thought it was a worthwhile discussion. That was a systematic review published by Australias Hunting Medical Research Institute. It was found that people are simply not getting the bulk of nutrient rich food. So while they're maybe losing weight, they're not only healthy. It doesn't it's not an indicator of health. So yeah, I thought it was just a good discussion that people listening who are considering or taking weight loss medication. You know, I'm not suggesting a supplements the idea. I'm saying you've got to make sure you're still getting your fresh food in basically if you're on a GLP one at every meal. So for example, you'd want to have berries or fruit with your protein yogurt or smoothie. You'd want to make sure there's vegetables or salad at both lunch and dinner, even though the volumes are significantly reduced. And I have many clients yand who don't even need a bit of food a day now. They've cut it all out in favor of protein snacks, which is good on one hand, but I'm saying to my clients, add an apple, Have an apple, Have a peach, like you need that nutrient to get even the minimal amounts of vitamin seed little and the optimal amounts, which I would argue probably upwards of one hundred milligrams per day, not just forty which is the recommended dietary intake.
Speaker 1: Well, fun fact they are out of season at the Moment's ran key is but two gold qiwifruit a day will give you more than one hundred percent of your vitamin C requirements. So if you're lacking in your vitamin C, add some gold queue fruits in particular, not the green ones, the gold ones to your diet. But I've actually seen a client when I was working at the hospital, so I don't know six seven, eight years ago now, and then Referrel came through and it said scurvy, and I was like, what, like, surely this is like an error or something. And they were throwing a proper ketogenic diet, like they were counting the carbohydrates in lettus basically like they were too a tea, very very high kutogenic diet for weight loss, and not eating any fruits and veggies as I said, like a tiny piece of lettuce a day. And that was it because I was so worried about the carbohydrates. And the big symptoms they had were bleeding gums and they had a lot of these, like they weren't wound so much, but they just had these sort of like spots on their skin and they wouldn't heal properly. And then they were complaining about their hair and their nails being really brittle as well. So they're probably the biggest signs of a vitamin C deficiency. Also things like anemia, just difficulties with your teeth and your gums, really easy bruise and really rough or scaly skin can be some really really big ones and wounds not healing properly or you know, just really brittle hair that falls out. They're probably the biggest science of a vitamin seed deficiency, so you know it would be something. You know, we all got told about scurvy when we went through our training at university, but I'm sure that lectures followed up. But that don't worry. You won't see clients with scurvy in your lifetime. But I think we've come full circle now and we're seeing so many people who might be overweight but be mal nourished at the same time, so you can actually be I think a lot of people associate mal nutrition with like significantly underweight, but I remember when we were at the hospital, we would see so many people who had obesity and malnutrition at the same time. So they were getting a ton of ultra processed foods in but they weren't actually eating much real food. As you said, people weren't eating you know, a piece of fruit a day or even any fresh food. They go an entire day without any fresh food that have you know, peanut butter or veggimart on toast and a coffee that have some soush chicken sushi for lunch, and then for dinner they might have I don't know, like a cheese sandwich something they just weren't actually getting any fresh food. And with that comes a lack of fresh nutrients as well. So we are seeing more and more deficiencies these days. You know, I've had a dietisian friend of mine who saw a child with rickets because they weren't getting it in enough vitamin D. So we are seeing these deficiencies more and more these days as different types of diets and weight loss pills and interventions become more and more popular. The bottom line is we still need to get those nutrients in through food, and yes, you can supplement, but a supplement will never give you in most cases for things like vitamin C and stuff as good as what real food will give you. But vitamin D is in particular a bit harder to get because it is often coming from the Sunshine is our best source of vitamin D.
Speaker 2: True, and I think just as a reference, you want to be having at least a piece of fresh fruit per day. You don't need to be scared of the carb. You know, there's so many options, whether it's erries fresh or frozen, whether it's a small stone fruit, Keyway fruit, amazing, they are all really nutrients and addition to the diet, I think we still remain a bit calp scared of fruit. And you know, one meal should have a heavy saladdle bed based So if you're eating out a lot and you are finding yourself at restaurants or traveling, you know, naturally should be aiming to have one other meal that's sell little soup just for optimal you know, if you're listening to the nutrition couch nutritions on your mind. So these are simple strategies to make sure you're getting more and plenty. And that's my most common feedback each and every day to my clients. Where's the fresh food every meal? There should be some, So a good reminder, particularly if you have tried and using AGLP one all rightly and well. Our proach of the week comes from our Instagram. We get all of our requests for content on Instagram, so keep those dms coming. I'm always looking at something new and exciting. And a listener sent me what she described as a topper, And you might have noticed in supermarkets there is sort of in the health food section, sort of a growing range of toppers they call them, which might be seeds or it might be like a granola sprinkle and this one that she said to me was called Coastal Crunch Protein Crunch, and it is an online product. It is what I would describe a very boutique product. It's quite expensive. So I'm going to go through this, but I'm also wanting to talk about toppers in general, because I know there's a growing range of online options and even in supermarket of these products, and I want to talk about them in terms of how to use them and what to look for. So the one I'm going to review nutritionally today is I said, it's a company called Coastal Crunch, which looks like a local Australian company. They're calling it Australia as Healthy at Granola, I like many love a granola, the crunch of it. I think it's delicious. I don't buy it because I eat the whole packet, but I hear you that they can be delicious. And this one is a toasted almond and cinnamon. You can buy it in different packets. There's a large bolkilo one. I've stood a three twenty grand one which is fourteen dollars, so you can buy it in bulk as well. And when I look at the ingredients land it is pretty clean. So it's thirty two percent lupin, which is a very what we call a super ingredient in terms of dietary fiber and protein content, buckwheat, sunflour, millet, coconut chips, coconut sugar, almas at six percent, popedas and seeds, coconut oil, cinnamon, salt. So that wouldn't be what Leanna and I would describe as a very clean ingredient list. There's no fillers, there's no additives, there's no flavors. It's goti like many granolas or many toppers are not a grain versus a nut based because as soon as you have toppers or swapped to granolas that are nut based, they're perceived as healthier because they're lowering car but they usually pack huge amounts of calories because they're basically fat, and it's good fat, but they're hind calories. Whereas I like this one leand because it does have a grain base and so you're still getting the benefits of whole grains. They're recommending a serving size here of fifty grams, so to me, that's sort of a whole serve of cereal per serve. It comes in at just over two fifty calories, ten grams of protein, fourteen point five grams of total fat four gram saturated, So that's from the coconut oil in there and carbohydrates twelve point seven sugar four point two or eight point four per hundreds are not low in sugar, and that's coming I think just from sugar itself being added coconut sugar. Sorry I should say so they're sort of riding on a coconut train to that it's healthier, but ultimately coconut sugar still sugar, ten point four grams ditry fiber, which is massive for a fifty gram serve granola, and thirty five milligram sodium so very low. There's no added salt in there. Now, this, I would say, is a pretty good product. I myself wouldn't use your white because I don't like coconut and coconut oil as an ingredient or coconut sugar. It's adding saturated fat. I think that if you love it, it's not too bad. I wouldn't use it at a fifty gram serve. I'd probably use it more like thirty and that would keep the fat down at around eight ten grams per serve. But I think if you want to invest in that it's gluten free, So if you need a gluten free product, I think it's very strong. And I think that in general, these Bootique products are pretty good. You know, they don't have a lot of fillers in them. If you love the taste, the flavor, I probably think they're slightly better ones. I don't think it's the healthy granola because I don't think a granola that's got coconut added is ever going to be the healthiest, but I think it's a good choice if used in moderation. But what I wanted to talk about in terms of toppers is a granola that's nut based is not really a granola. You want a cereal whole grain base when you're having cereal in the warning which whether it's oats, where it's buckweight, where it's luc because that is giving you the whole grains, that's giving you the dietary fiber. This is what's good for our gush. If you're using toppers or granolas that are nut based, I would be using them as like sprinkles for yogurt or sprinkles for another cereal for flavor. So you might use an all brand, you might use a plain oat, you might use a multa gray wetbix and use it as a bit of a crunchy topper to add good fat. And then I'd use it in say a twenty gram maybe thirty gram served to add some extra good fat and protein. So yeah, I thought it was just an interesting product. Yeah, I'd give it seven eight out of ten. I think they're better ones, but I think that this probably tastes delicious, and as such it's a nice sort of addition that's adding nutrition to your cereal choice. What do you think, Liam? Have you seen it before?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it before. No, it's so as you said, it looks like a very boutique brand, Coastal Crunch. I imagine it's I don't know wherever. I imagine it's out of someone like Barron Bay, which is lovely. But now I quite like it. You know, it's it's it's not too expensive either, compared to obviously the things in supermarkets. You're always going to get some better priced products, but I think ingredient wise, this is basically as good as you're going to get. I personally don't have a problem with coconut being in granola. I don't think the saturated fat is the same as you know in meat and that kind of thing. I don't really have a problem with it. I think the ingredients are wonderful. But the thing that I really like about it is that the protein in the fiber is coming from natural sources. Often when you find like a high protein or a high fiber granola in the supermarket, it's what we call that fake fibers. There's a been a ton of that, like different artificial type fiber dumped in there, or the protein is coming from like you know, soy protein flakes, or they've added the protein in some of the way, Like it's quite a process form of protein. I love that this is the basis Loopen because we know that lupin, as you described earlier, is more like a superfood. It's very high in protein, it's a very high in fiber, and it is more carbohydrate controlled. So if you're looking for a product that is more carb controlled, I think this is a really great choice. Like it's only twelve point seven grams in a fifty gram serve, so if you're not even using fifty grams, it's quite low, and that way you would be able to add some beautiful fresh fruit and some yogurt to this, and I think that that could be a really nourishing breakfast option.
Speaker 2: So I love this.
Speaker 1: I don't see a problem with it at all. I think it's a great little product. If you're happy to invest in it, I think it can be a really good choice. I think the ingredients are super strong. There's nothing in there that I would be worried about personally. I think there's a great mix of different types of blends of you know, the base between loopen and buckwheat, and then you've also got some great seeds and nuts going in the ppeitas that lind seeds, the almonds as well. So yeah, I think it's a really good product, and if you're happy to invest in it, I'd be happy for my clients to have this as a little bit of a topper to yogurt or something, or as you mentioned, if you've got a base of maybe some vitebrates or some all brand or some thing and using this is a bit of a mix. But even though it is protein crunch ideally for breakfast, it's still not enough protein even at a fifty grand serve ten point four grams of protein is good, but we'd want at least another ten grams of protein coming from somewhere, So a decent cup of milk in there, or some higher protein yogurt or you know, serving that with a little bit maybe a sprinkle of protein powder and some you know, half a cup of milk or something. We definitely want to boost that up if this is a sole breakfast option, because we do know that women would do much better with at least twenty grams of protein and breakfast. That would be my only feedback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it would go nicely with the new high protein milks if you're happy to invest in those. And I like these products, as I said at topper as an addition that way, and the other thing I was thinking abotu. I went to a supermarket this morning and I was looking at kids lunch box fillers, and what crossed my mind was that when it comes to different products, I noticed, like the lcms were very cheap. And I think a thing to keep in mind is that the higher the quality of the cereal, that more expensive it will be because things like seeds and that's so expensive, even whole grains. So sometimes thinking about more as an investment versus cost, because you can go and buy an NELSI and bar for three dollars versus say, a whole grain bar that's six And basically the difference is you're playing for the quality of ingredients, and that's certainly the case with some of these more boutique, higher level nutrition cereals. So yeah, I would definitely, and that's why I would also use it in smaller amounts, because yeah, if you're following a budget, you just want to make sure that you're getting the best bang for your dollar. Rightly, And I think we've covered it before, but it comes up all the time, and there are certainly different options. So the question is, I'm getting takeaway, what is the healthiest option? What do you think?
Speaker 1: Well, I would argue that if you're getting takeaway, you want something delicious, not so much healthy. But that's my argument. What do we get in my household? We regularly have grilled. We love grilled, where I wish Grill would sponsor the segment, but we're big grilled fans in my family. They do really good chicken nuggets like that. It's actual chicken breast fried an extra version olive bill. Yes, they're fried, really good amount of protein, they're proper chicken breast. It's extraversion olive a like my little girls love them. Yes, so we love grilled. We also love getting a tie or like a Chinese but I tend to get when I think of tile Chinese. Often we don't want to get the deep fried kind of stuff like the you know, the honey honey chicken or the sweetens our pork which is deep fried. Often I say to my clients, get the dry stir fry with the herb bases. So think chili, basil, prawns, all garlic, and black preppered chicken. That way, it's a little bit leaner. There's often a ton of veggies added in and the rice comes separately. Often, if you're going to get like a noodle dish from you know tie, like a pad tie for example, all of the protein and the veggies are mixed up with the noodle, so it becomes really really heavy car based. Whereas I prefer the herb type sturfries because you're getting the rice separately, you can control the amount, and you're often getting a really good amount of vegetables as well. And then my other favorite takeaway I often suggest for clients who are trying to keep things a little bit leaner, is Vietnamese. I love Vietnamese. They use a lot of herbs for flavor. The pros often quite lean. You know, you can get prunes or you can get chicken. And I love the rice noodle salad bowls. Sometimes depending on where you get it, the noodle base can be quite heavy, so I often say the clients get half noodle, half lettuce. They also do some people call them rice paper rolls, all those summer rolls. They can be a really good option as well. And Mexicain, I think we've talked about that before, can be a really good option. But you just have to be careful because sometimes those burritos can be massive, and you've got the burritos with the rice and the beans and the chicken and the cheese and the guacu there, so it can quickly add up. But often those what we call those naked bowls from a Mexican perspective, can be really healthy. You can add quite a lot of different types of veggies and beans and get some good fiber and some freshness in through there as well. So they're probably my three or four favorite ones. But I do think it's a balance between what you enjoy how often you have it. Like, if you're someone who has take away twice a week, I'd probably say that you would be leaning for what are those options to be a healthy option? But if you're someone who has takeaway once a month, get what you want, get some fish and chips, get some pizza, It's probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. So I think this only really matters if you're somebody that eats takeaway quite regularly, or you are actively trying to pursue a weight loss journey. But otherwise I generally just say have what you like if it's an occasional thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so first of all, do you want to have a fight today? I would disagree completely that grilled is healthy. Grid is not healthy.
Speaker 1: I didn't say it was healthy. I thought it was delicious.
Speaker 2: No, I know, But the question is, I think you're misleading out consue our clients because you've said the question is is it healthy? And you've said I love grill. Now I know you love grilled. I think everyone loves grilled, but it's packful. Like I'm just having a look at nutrition Lacus. I don't want to speak out of turn.
Speaker 1: It's some of those burgers. If you just get the burger can be five hundred calories. Nothing wrong with that, quiet protein, but of fresh food.
Speaker 2: But it's fried food. It's fast food. It's not healthy. The energy density it's not fried, and I would is fried.
Speaker 1: It's not fine. If you get a chicken breast burger, that's chicken breast and it's grilled. It's not fried.
Speaker 2: But the people are not just having a burger on its own, they're having it as a meal deal. I'm just looking at the chicken tenders. They are deep fried or fried in extra veginal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are.
Speaker 2: But I think that it's misleading to say it's healthy. I think it's healthier fast food. It's not healthy because with grilled I noticed they stack their sauces like if you look at the lower carbon, it's heavily pro like it's Is it healthier than maccas, Yes? Is it healthy?
Speaker 1: There are some better choices in there though, Yeah, not the entire brand is healthy. Agreed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I agree that with Mexican like Gusman and Gomez. Is it healthier yes? Is it fast food that's still it's not. I think in answer to the question, if I was saying, what is the healthiest fast food takeaway, I think rolled is one of the healthiest ones because often it's not fried. I think that fish bowl is the other one, because you it's not generally fried. You know, it's not heavily sauced. So I think I don't disagree with you that grilled is a healthier choice. Is it healthy? No, it's high, it's high calorie.
Speaker 1: I see your point. Yeah, I see your point. Yep.
Speaker 2: If I was talking, I think the other help, which this isn't really fast food, but I think subway is. Then probably the other one I would put is actually quite healthy. If I was being technical, Is that a fair call?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a fair call. Absolutely, But I do I would argue that there's healthier options in every type of takeaway. That's what I thought we were more meaning so so like if you went to grill, there are some of the burgers are like a thousand calories. Absolutely, some of them are only four fifty five hundred, much better options. But again, are you getting the burger or you're getting the burger and the chips and the sauce and a cider nuggets very different. So if you're looking for the healthiest option overall, I would agree rolled subway, some sort of Vietnamese is generally pretty good, or Mexican, but yeah, there's always going to be leaner and higher calorie options wherever you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so I think I don't think I'm missing we're missing anything, but yeah, just in terms of we're being technical about it, they're probably the ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, fair point.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, Well, that wraps up the segment. All the show today for Nutrition Cash. Thank you for listening for another week, and if you're a new listener, we also have a scientifically formulated range of supplements at designed by dieticians. Go and check us out and make sure you share the potty for the week in your stories or in your Facebook stories, tell your friends because we've got a great lot of tips and tricks coming your way in this episode and many more to come. So thank you for listening and we'll catch you in next week's episode.
Speaker 2: Have a great week.