Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the sit Down. I'm Viv Christie, managing editor of Australian Tennis.
Speaker 2: Magazine, and I'm Matrolope, writer for oz open dot com. And Viv tell us why we're sitting down with Nick Carryous this week.
Speaker 1: Because he has announced that he'll be back this Australian summer. He is playing his first tour event at the Brisbane International. So Nick returns after a long injury break. He spent the best part of two seasons sidelined. He comes back with I think new perspective and yeah, lots to add to the sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we discovered that when the two of us sat down with Nick at pat Raft arenap for what ended up being a really wide ranging chat about a lot of things. We obviously spoke about the comeback, but Nick's a great talker, great student of the game and has been involved from a media perspective, so we had lots to chat about with him.
Speaker 1: Nick was so generous with his time. This is a longer interview than usual for us, but while worth settling in to hear what he has to say. Well, Nick, firstly, thank you for joining us on the sit down. It's great to see you back on court again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been I've hit a lot of tennis balls in the last year and a half, but they haven't been proper ones. They've been like the furry ones and literally starting out with you know, under ten's balls, then building it up every couple of months and finally able to come out here again on a beautiful court like the Brisbane Arena and officially be you know, announced a players is an insane moment that I thought that I wouldn't get back to. But yeah, I'm super excited. Obviously, had a bit of fun today with Layton, sun Cruise and Cooper and it's good to be back out there amongst it. You know, there's a different energy to the Aussie summer that I think that I've missed.
Speaker 4: So six weeks or so out from the comeback.
Speaker 1: What are the emotions as you look forward to them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I'm a bit nervous.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's only natural to feel that way, and I think it's healthy. It just means I care about how I'm going to perform and the pressure of it's all. It's interesting because I got asked like, why would I put myself back in that position? And it's I think it's just something that US tennis players, us Ouzsy tennis players really missed the Australians. So I'm playing in front of our fans that they are some of the best fans in the world as well. So yeah, I'm just super excited. I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. I've been training really hard and then I'm going to continue to do that over the next six to eight weeks and we'll give we'll give it a crack.
Speaker 1: You're returning to the scene of one of your seven career titles, the only one that you won in Australia.
Speaker 4: What's the significance of that.
Speaker 3: I just think the court in general really plays towards my game style.
Speaker 5: It's very fast, it's.
Speaker 3: Great serving conditions. It's the only thing I don't like. It's a bit humid. I forgot our humor this this place is. I was sweating literally in the first five minutes. So yeah, look, I just think it's it's amazing. You look at some of the past champions here. I mean, this tournament's always stacked with amazing talent and there's going to be some great players here and we've talked briefly about the Australian players and how good they've been over the last you know year or two, that some of them having.
Speaker 5: Career best years, career best titles.
Speaker 3: So it's an exciting time for men's tennis in Australia.
Speaker 2: What's it like hitting with Cruise, hit with Late It's funny, It's it's.
Speaker 5: Not it's not weird, it's not.
Speaker 3: But I definitely give him, you know, some stick for it, and I, you know, I like trash talking a little bit, but no, it's it's cool. And as I said, I had a conversation with Layton yesterday about potentially returning to the Davis Cup line up. So just having these conversations again and being a part of it, hitting with these guys and just playing, you know, competing with them is something that I just I genuinely thought it wasn't going to be possible again.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's it's a bit strange.
Speaker 3: Like me obviously playing and I've competed against his dad a lot and now committing against him.
Speaker 5: It's it's funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very full circle. Yes, what if you missed most in your time away from tennis? It sounds like it's the competitiveness.
Speaker 3: Yeah I missed, I missed. I mean I did compete a lot off the court. I mean it can be anything, can be a computer game, video game, anything like a board game.
Speaker 5: I'll compete a little bit too hard.
Speaker 3: But I guess it's just actually the sport of and I think winning, Like when you win a tennis match, you know that the routine, actually the routine of winning a tennis match, getting physio, gone back to the hotel, and enjoying that win with your team. I think that's what our team into the other than twenty two. We were experiencing that so much. It just became part of our culture of you know, going to the courts, getting it done and enjoying those wins together. And I think that's what I missed most, was doing it with my team and having success together.
Speaker 5: I think that's what I missed most.
Speaker 2: We were also going to ask you if there was a specific moment, because you were after you've been out for two years, effectively, if there was a moment where you felt the burning desire properly to return again, and was it that conversation with Novak at Wimbledon, or was there another time where you watch something happened, You're like, God, I'd love to be out there again.
Speaker 3: I definitely went through a lot of dips, like energy lows, highs and lows throughout the last eighteen months. There were times where I was super motivated to like, all right, I want to start the rehab. I want to sorry, I want to you know, I want to get going. I want to be better. And then there was times where I was like I don't want to play anymore. You know, this is too hard. Like I was having pain in my hand, my wrists, and I was like, this is not going to get better, Like I didn't want.
Speaker 5: To do the work required. And I guess I had a really good team around me.
Speaker 3: And then I went to Wimbledon and I tried to, you know, announce it on Twitter that i'd be hitting with some of the players there, and Novak was hit with him for three days and that's when I actually realized that, you know, I was only starting to serve then. And then he was like, it doesn't look like you've had surgery. You're moving really well, you're playing really well. And that's when I looked at my team. I was like, Okay, maybe we're on the right track, maybe we can return, And six months later here we are.
Speaker 5: So it's been a That was probably.
Speaker 3: The turning moment when when Novak said that, I was like, Okay, we're doing something right here, and we're you know, gearing for a return.
Speaker 5: At some stage.
Speaker 1: Sounds like Novak was one of the players that really supported you in the comeback.
Speaker 4: With there any other players that really reached out.
Speaker 3: Look, I think whether a player wants me to come back or not, that's one thing, But whether the sport needs it, I think it's another. I don't think there'd be too many happy faces seeing me back on to it. You know, I had a lot of friends, but I also had a lot of people that didn't get along with, which I think is completely normal in sport, and I think the tennis world needs a bit more of that. But yeah, I mean, look, there's been a plenty of supporters. You know, the American players I'm all pretty close with, and they gave me a lot of support as well. But I think people that I've drawn in spray from probably like Dominic Team, someone like that who went through a major surgery and his one actually wasn't even as severe as mine, and to see him just get back to a challenger level and play some Grand Slams was a bonus where I want to get back there and win some you know, some big matches. So I've really drawn and obviously we know the severity of people that have had risk injuries before Del Potro team like these guys haven't got back to where they were, and I don't think that's a fair for me.
Speaker 5: I want to, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: We'll see how my level is when I get back, But I don't know if it's a fair I guess goal to have in mind to get back to, you know, making a Grand Slam final after such as severe injury.
Speaker 5: But we'll see. But I think there've been some supportive tennis players.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah, it's obviously been as particularly the nature of the injury being so rough, it's hard to maybe see a positive in the time away and the challenges. But have there been any silver linings?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, look, spending time with my family, you know, my partner and just you know, my brother has two kids. Now, you know, I think as an Australian tennis player, you travel so much of the year and you know, all these tennis guys will tell you you miss I think, significant moments with your and your best friends and your people that you would ideally want to spend all the time with you don't get to see them at all. So I think the positive of being injured was I was able to catch up on so many other things off the court as well that needed my attention. You know, obviously a lot of business ideas that I had, you know, I started, you know, I was very proactive in my time away and just spend time with my loved ones and the people that I thought I'd missed out so much time, Like what from literally fifteen to twenty five, I felt like I didn't even spend time with my family because I was always traveling for tennis. So now I definitely felt like I caught that time up.
Speaker 2: Do you feel Also, younger people talk about having like long periods of time actually refreshing them because you're not pounding your body, you're not traveling is not yet Like so you know you're twenty nine, but are you physically twenty nine? Do you know what I mean? You say it on the court before that you were like, I'm old now, but it's like you.
Speaker 3: Kind of I actually feel as if I'm like seventy.
Speaker 5: I feel like I've.
Speaker 3: Had so many experiences and you know, I've dealt with a lot of things in my life, and I've you know, you know, being in the spotlight at eighteen and going through the experience of I feel like I've gone through a lot for a person, and I feel like I feel a lot older than twenty nine, that's for sure. And people will assume I'm a lot older because I was on tour at seventeen, But yeah, I definitely, honest like, mentally, I do feel a bit, I guess new to the tour again, where you know, just like going into the locker room and like just before having a shower, just feeling that again and doing those things kind of feels a little bit new, which is good because there was parts where I was like, oh, here we got another tennis center and another this and all that. But yeah, I know what you mean, But I definitely I don't know if physically I feel younger.
Speaker 5: I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: So we have to ask when you do come back, who are you most looking forward to playing?
Speaker 5: Oh, I've got a couple of answers there.
Speaker 3: Ah, But look that I think the tennis world right now is in a it's definitely the changing of the guard. I think we will understand that Rafa and Fed's not being there anymore. And I think this is you could comfortably say it's the back end of Novak's career. Now you know it's open, but you know you've got the lights of you know, Olcaaz whole garoon. You're Onix Sinner like these guys that are, you know, vying for that next kind of mantle. But I would love to play obviously center at some stage, hopefully not my first match back, but I doubt did pay Brisbane. But you know, look, that's that's probably that would be circled on my calendar for sure. And I don't know, it's always fun playing tizzy paths. I think we all I think that's a very healthy one for the tennis world.
Speaker 5: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you you came so close to winning a Grand Slam title at Wimwooden.
Speaker 4: Is how much of a motivation is it to go one better than that?
Speaker 3: I think that's probably one of the only things keep me around in the sport. I mean, obviously, I think I've got a lot more tennis to play for my fans, but I think a Grand Slam is the only thing that's kind of missing. I think in Australian tennis in general, you know we've got you know, Lexi Poper winning a Master's.
Speaker 5: Event, you know, Demon's vying for titles.
Speaker 3: But I think that at the end of the day, that all means nothing if you don't finish. I think that's the only thing that people really care about in tennis career is how many Grand Slams you have. And did I think that the doubles Grand Slam was going to calm it down, to be honest, and No, I knew that the critics always going to be like, oh, I doesn't have a single one still after I want to double one. And I agree with him, like I am a singles player and I've put in so much work to be a good singles player, and I was two sets away, a set and a half away from winning. You know, I'm a tennis event that makes you tennis immortality. So that's definitely a driver. I mean, I hear it every day that he hasn'tont to go slam, Like the amount of times I've heard that it's going to drive me insane.
Speaker 2: Most people haven't though, Oh I know, but like.
Speaker 3: They say that, oh, he's one of the most talented players like this, so that that there's I think there's a lot that comes with that, which is it's good in a way, but it's also a curse because people want you to win so bad.
Speaker 1: Your first Grand Slam back will be your home Grand Slam. How special is it to play at the Astraine Open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been extremely tough missing that event the last two years, not because I'm sitting there, you know, watching other people play. You know, I love watching other Ossies play at this Train Open. I love the stories created, I love the opportunities that they have and it can change careers it honestly. Can you make a run of the Austrain Open and we see, you know, all these young Aussies have good runs and then you know it kicks.
Speaker 5: Off their career.
Speaker 3: But for me, it's just there's a different feeling playing in Australia. And you know, I played my first I mean I played Australi Open Juniors when I was fifteen years old and it just seemed like that time of the year was always special for Ozsi's you know, it was Aussie summer even this time you're all hanging out together, training together. You can feel the energy kind of heating up a little bit, and I can't wait to get out there and just feel you know, I'm just going to soak up every little moment because it could be my last one and I'm not going to take a granted even if I win, not lose, I'm going to enjoy the stadium. I'm going to enjoy all the tough moments, the adversity moments, and just enjoy it all.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite moment from your Australian Open so far?
Speaker 5: I think, oh, that's a tough one.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously, yeah, I mean it's been it's been amazing. I think obviously the doubles has got to be up there. You know, I never thought I'd be in the doubles again, stand literally never I thought the singles, what one would come? That's maybe at some stage if not, but I'd never thought I'd get close to any of those one and it just happened. I think the CATCHONOV match in the third round of the show and Open, when it was like a four hour and fifty out, four hours and fifty minute grind and it was it was probably one of the most insane energy I've ever been a part of. The crowd was absolutely going insane and it was it was special.
Speaker 2: Now that was on John Canaen. Yes, obviously, that's such a big part of your story. That court. You've almost kind of made it your own. We actually did some research into your Do you know your record on that court?
Speaker 5: No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Would you guess how many matches you played and won on it?
Speaker 3: I'd be close to probably fifteen, I reckon, Yeah, fifteen and fifteen, maybe twelve and three or something, that's.
Speaker 2: What your record is.
Speaker 4: Twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. So that was what we're going to ask you. So, yeah, won twelve, lost three, so it's an eighty percent record. So what is it about that court that brings out your best because it is by far your best record at the AO of all the court. In fact, you played on it so much more than all the es, but you pretty much never lose on it.
Speaker 3: I think it's just I don't know, it's just something about the speed the court just feels amazing. I think I just love the dimensions of even though every single court in the same dimensions, just the backdrop, but everything or about it.
Speaker 5: I like how the crowd's really close. I'm not too sure.
Speaker 3: I really want to put a petition in when I'm done to call it the Curios instead of John. I think, I genuinely think if we called it the Curios Court, it would be it would be a lot more, it would be a lot cooler, and I think people would be like it would create a bit more buzz or you playing on the Hero's Court like, because then it's like known for being a bit of a chaotic zoo like you know atmosphere, I think, and then people will think about some of the best times I had on it and just how chaotic the crowd was going like it sometimes I was like, this place is ridiculously loud and it was a bit of like a zoo out there. I think, Yeah, I mean, I don't know what it is about that court, but I don't know. Hopefully I'll be able to play on it again this year, and if not, you know, I'm happy to.
Speaker 5: Play on Rod.
Speaker 2: So is it actually like, are the crowd different compared to say Rod Labor Because you've had some pretty wild matches on Keya in the doubles run, and you've played on MCA as well. But there's something maybe a bit specific about JCA. Is it the ground passes, it's coming right down to the court.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I do like the fact that it's very accessible for the fans. The fans are right there. They haven't on like ongoing conversations with me. I think they've realized that I really feed off it, and they're obviously a bit boozy around that time as well, like five vmish.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the hour on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't know, it's just something about that court. I think that the crowd of rod Labor a bit more tame, and you know, they're a bit more I guess classy, But I don't think I fit into that kind of description.
Speaker 5: So I think I'd love to play on John Cane again.
Speaker 2: I love it. Where will the I guess we'll see where you're scheduled when you come back.
Speaker 5: Yes. Yes.
Speaker 1: When you look back on your career as a whole, what what are you most proud of?
Speaker 3: I think I think how much I've kind of, I guess, changed and matured over the course of my career. I think I'm very much still a child. I'm very much still youthful, and I love to have fun. But I think, you know, I think I was earlier in my career. I didn't really, I don't know. I just I think I enjoy it now because I know that the window that I've had as an athlete and the success I've had is not normal and it's very like, I'm very lucky to have had that success, but also I worked very hard. But not many athletes are able to say that they've you know, going to the top of their sport and really knocked on the door of you know, getting to the ultimate prize. And I think this injuries made me realize that, you know, I've got to be grateful for it, and I can't.
Speaker 5: Be so I can't be so selfish, I guess. And when I come back to.
Speaker 3: I want instant titles, I want Grand Slams Like that's not that's not how the sport works. Sometimes it's my day and sometimes it's not. And I think I'm just really proud.
Speaker 5: Of I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I would never be saying that at the start of my career. I'd be you know, really like probably too confident or too arrogant to you know, say that, No, I want more and want more all the time, which is not bad, but I think now it's like I've done the work to get back and everything now is a bonus. And you know there's a younger generation coming in now and the banging over there is.
Speaker 5: Insane, but.
Speaker 3: Always it's Yeah, I just think that I'm really proud of how much I've kind of matured. Tennis is I think makes you mature as a person. You know, you do everything alone, you travel alone. It does mature you very quickly, obviously more often not maybe not me as quick as others, but finally to that point where I think I've matured a lot.
Speaker 1: So on the flip side, it's obviously a long career. You are there any periods where you look back at any matches or times in your career saying I wish I could do that again.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: I don't think I regret moments in my career, to be honest, I think every little moment happened for a specific reason. I think I kind of look at it as like a building block. You take one moment out, I think the structure kind of falls down.
Speaker 5: And I'm not saying I had great moments.
Speaker 3: I've had some absolute diabolical moments on the court, meltdowns, tantrums, fines.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't condone it for the future generations.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I think that I'm man enough now to say that, you know, they weren't like.
Speaker 5: Would I do it again?
Speaker 3: Maybe, but they're not the right That wasn't the right way to conduct myself.
Speaker 5: But I did have fun. I think at the end of it.
Speaker 3: I think I think at the end of my career, I did I did it my way and I had fun. And that's that's the message that I think from my career. It's like, you can be authentic, you can be yourself and you can still kind of find navigate yourself your own way, your own way. They don't need like there's not one specific path to get there.
Speaker 1: Sure, ahead of this interview, I did pull out something which was your first Australiant tennis magazine.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The funny thing is I do remember this because my mum has this frame in my house in camera outside my room, so I see this all the time.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: What do you think you stand? Do you recognize that, Nick?
Speaker 5: I do recognize it.
Speaker 3: I recognize a kid that had no idea what he was stepping into. Honestly, like I was just I was still at the Melbourne Academy when you know, we were there, and I was living in Melbourne at the time with the Guccioni family, and I was just a young kid, just probably still in school at that time, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: I had no idea what what the roller coaster was going to be like.
Speaker 5: To be honest, is.
Speaker 4: There any advice you would give to that.
Speaker 2: Nick that Nick is a that's AO twenty fourteen, Nick before that photo.
Speaker 5: Is I would probably just say.
Speaker 3: I'd probably say not to take criticism too hard. At that time, I think I was a very I was an emotional kid, and I was very like I was a sensory person, like I took comments very personally. So I would tell myself maybe not to take the criticism too hard because it really it really affected me. So I'd probably say, just continue to be that showman that you have inside you. But there was going to be I didn't realize that it was going to be such a I didn't realize I was going to send such shock waves I guess through the tennis world, I guess, And I was eighteen. I had no idea that I was able to do that I was a kid from Canberra still in school, like, and I was going to send shockwaves through the global tennis world. So I'd say, just don't take criticism too hard.
Speaker 4: From that perspective that you have.
Speaker 1: Now, what life lessons do you think he can take from tennis?
Speaker 3: I guess you have to be an amazing problem solver on the tennis court. You're always adapting as well. It's the one sport where it's played all around the world, different time zones, different diet, different cultures. You're always uncertain. You never know what time exactly going to play, and sometimes you never know. You could play for an hour and a half, play for five hours at a Grand Slam. There's so many variables in tennis where no other sport can can understand that, Like what other sport has so many question marks of your performance. So I think the problem solving and you realize that nothing's perfect in love too, Like the greatest of all time have only won over just over half the points they've ever played. You know, rogers et a one fifty four percent of points, so he's losing like pretty much every.
Speaker 5: Second point he's playing.
Speaker 3: So like the ability to pick yourself up after having a bad day or you know, you could have a bad relationship and anything, you've got to understand it.
Speaker 5: You know, you got to pick yourself back up.
Speaker 3: And I think tennis is a very good teacher that because you can't win, you're not winning every week, you know you're losing, pick yourself back up, go again. So yeah, you've got to be a fast learner and a good loser.
Speaker 1: I noticed today when you were hitting with cruise, you were giving lots of advice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, would you obvious see it yourself as a coach possibly.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 3: Me and Jordan Thompson always joked about like me and him would would take like kids away on a tour and we would be the coaches.
Speaker 5: That'd be a fun tour.
Speaker 3: I would probably do it, like at some stage, I think I do enjoy I actually do enjoy watching. I mean, obviously from a commentating standpoint, I enjoy watching and enjoy and I'm not a very critical commentator.
Speaker 5: I don't like when commentators, you know, beat down or.
Speaker 3: Too critical because it's not easy out there and in this today's day and age, game is so physical. But I could see myself one day maybe you know, I enjoy giving people you know, advice or tactical advice and then seeing them trying to execute that. I think I could see myself one day doing that. Yeah, I mean it's a bit of fun.
Speaker 1: It has been an amazing year in Australian and as you mentioned earlier, have you and we're heading into the Davis Cart Finals, which Australia would.
Speaker 4: Be a part of. Have you missed being a part of all that?
Speaker 5: Definitely? I love the team environment. I love being a part of that team.
Speaker 3: You know, they're so of my That's some of my closest friends, you know, Thanasi Jordan Thompson. I'm so happy for Jordan to see how how well he's gone top thirty in the world, and we literally grew up and played the exact same tournaments together from eight years old. We played each other at Wimbledon and to see him having success is so cool. So I do miss it. But at the same time, these guys are all capable, and I think, you know, I was kind of the first one, I guess knock on the door and show that it was possible, and then these guys started believing, and you know, now they're all having some amazing success. Alexi's getting you know, coming out of his shell and he's understanding what he needs to do at the highest level to execute, and it's they're more than cable to win it, you know, without me.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: And and the fact that I even had a conversation with late and yesterday that he thinks that I'm able to still add value was a positive for me.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I missed the team environments.
Speaker 3: I love them, you know, I love I do miss the home and away aspect of Davis Cup. I will say that was the most special thing ever, you know. I remember we played a tie out here against USA and it was some of the coolest atmosphere.
Speaker 5: Well, so yeah, I mean I do miss being out there.
Speaker 2: You've alluded a couple of times today about like the business side of tennis in the entertainment. We really like tennis players that are cognizant of the business side because it's more than just hitting balls. Yes, if you had the capacity to do this, if there's one thing you could immediately or quickly change that you think could help tennis, Like, what would that be?
Speaker 3: I would make Grand Slams the best of three up until the quarterfinals. I think it would save us a lot of effort on scheduling. You know, the first week's scheduling gets out of control. I think with both the men's side and the women's side playing best of five, and sometimes the women's matches go long best at three, I mean, men's matches aren't finishing till like two three am, and it's just not sustainable, I don't think.
Speaker 5: And I think if you made it best to three of them to the quarter.
Speaker 3: Finals, you'd see some guys breakthrough to the quarterfinals, but then obviously the better players would end up winning obviously best of five anyway, So I think the best of three them to the quarter finals and then from then on its best to five. That's what I would immediately change to Grand Slam. It would save a lot of stress of scheduling, and it would make it more The first couple of weeks would be more exciting because some of these top players as well, they lose a first set in the earlier rounds and they're right away back against the wall. How many times have we seen one of the best players in the drawer lose a first set and you're just like he's going to come back and ruin anyway, Like it's it's actually boring, where like if Novak goes down a set, or even when Lee too, I think he won to set against Alcaas early on, that's one set all, and then it's one set that could change Lee's entire career. He beat Alkaaz at the Senate Quarter, You've completely you become a name, So I think that would be a cool thing to change.
Speaker 2: I love that you've got any other have you got anything?
Speaker 3: I would I would have players miked up as well.
Speaker 2: I think you like officially sanctioned on Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 3: I think like if you watch the NBA, they give their like obviously the uniform or the kit you're going to wear, they professionally put like a mic inside the shirt around the collar so you can I can't feel it. And then I think not doing that is being absurd for me, Like why would you not have like Novak or our Karaz or them miked up to hear what they're saying, or even even before the points, like you see some of these amazing athletes. I do it myself sometimes before every point their self, talking to themselves like why would you not have the content that you could create from that already would have tennis fans glued to their phone.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've got heaps, but that's that's another one I would do.
Speaker 3: I think from a like a fans standpoint, and I would do mixed doubles at masters events. Oh wow, because what other sport can you get your favorite female athlete and your favorite male athlete competing on the same side of the net for like good prize money. It's not possible, Like you don't see any other sport really, So I think Master's events should instead of men's doubles womens just mixed mixed.
Speaker 4: So would you would you play? Who would you love to play?
Speaker 3: I mean, there's plenty of good players I'd love to play with, past them present. I mean, look, if I play, I've had the I've had the honor of playing with Serena and Venus.
Speaker 5: I would have liked to play well.
Speaker 2: Not many people can say that I would.
Speaker 3: Have loved to have played with ash Party at some stage. I think she I think was by far one of the most talented female players to ever play the game.
Speaker 5: I think we would have done some damage.
Speaker 4: On the court for absolutely.
Speaker 2: And I guess the media your role moving into the media is a form of the business side because it's promotion. What's your favorite interview that you've ever done apart from this one obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one's been great so far. I really like doing pregame interviews. I did a bit of that at the US Open. I feel like walking on.
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, just as.
Speaker 3: You're interviewing some of these players before they're going on, you can really feel their energy.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously postmatch everyone's kind of relieved or you know, whatever emotions they feel. But it's not as you could cut the tension with a knife, you know. I did Taylor Fritz and franc Tiafa at the US Open, and I could feel the nervous energy off them when I was, you know, right next to them, and I was almost a bit.
Speaker 5: Nervous because I could.
Speaker 3: I could, I could, I just know being in that position. They struggled to sleep that the night before all they could think about was the media, you know, saying, who's going to like? It was so good? And I knew that I had the power to get a cheeky little answer out of both of them. But I think, you know, commentating and this side of things in the tennis world is so underrated because when someone turned on TV.
Speaker 5: They might not know.
Speaker 3: Like we're not talking about the fans that have followed the sport for twenty years. We're talking about new fans bringing them to the game. They're not going to know anything about these players. So the commentating needs to be up to like. It needs to be up to date, I guess in a way, And it needs to be like kind of how the generation is now. They can't concentrate for more than a couple of minutes, so it needs to be like loud. It needs to be energetic for a twenty second thirty second. Then that might get it, that might grab a new fan. So I'm just trying to grow this mort as much as I can. I guess on both sides of the spectrum. But it hasn't been easy.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you no.
Speaker 2: Well, you've obviously, though enjoy as you said, like you want to stay in there. You really enjoy it, and you're obviously good at it. What's something like has it given you a new appreciation of how the media operates? Or has it given you like a way of looking at tent I remember it might have been storm storm Sanders when she told us when she moved into coaching, she said, it completely revolutionized the way she approached her own game because she was viewing it from a different way, and so she became really tactically aware. And so is it similar with commentary. You're viewing the game differently, So do you take that into your own tennis a little bit?
Speaker 3: I mean, I haven't had a coach for now, like seven years, so I already feel as if I tactically am very switched on about my game, and I do I study film, and I watch other players, and I know every other players strength and weakness back to front.
Speaker 5: It's more so just I just love having fun with it.
Speaker 3: Like I feel like I've only watched and played tennis for twenty years. Like it's really easy to get in there and just be funny and drop it, you know, some knowledge and some fans if someone's doing a specific thing.
Speaker 5: I just I really enjoy it. And I think tennis commentating right now needs a bit of needs a bit of a shakeup.
Speaker 1: I think was there anything that surprised you about being a commentator?
Speaker 5: How mean some of the commentators are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like I guess when you've really played and you understand like the futures and the challenges like how many players there are on a global scale, and how heart it is to actually make it into the top one hundred and twenty eight players to make a Grand Slam. I don't like I sometimes I don't like how much you know, I mean not to mention names, but someone like Johnny Mack, like he'll just say like, oh, this guy, like who is this guy's like this guy's like top one hundred and twenty in the world, Like he deserves completely deserves to be there.
Speaker 5: He might have battled through three.
Speaker 3: Rounds are qualifying and that as our job as commentator is to study these players and know their journey and hopefully get their name out there. We can't just continually promote the same players over and over again. You know, there are some good players out there that no one, no one knows, So that's my I take that into account when I like commentating, I like to really get it out there.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Yeah, yeah, there's actually quite a few young ones that are coming through, like new voices in the sport. It's been really it's freshened. It's helped freshen it out, but it can keep going that way.
Speaker 3: It needs to go that way, because I mean you look at for the last twenty years, the sport's only really promoted four or five players, and then they go and then it's like, then what happens to the sponsors? And then people lose interest and so the sport essentially will lose money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. Did I have another question out think? Oh? Yeah, So in your commentary, who have you most enjoyed watching?
Speaker 5: Oh, that's a good one. I really liked.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed doing Demona and Thompson at the US Open. That was a fun one, obviously, because you know, I'm close with both of them.
Speaker 5: But I think I've watched it. I've done a lot of Novak.
Speaker 3: Matches and he frustrates the hell out of me because I hate doing his matches early on in Slams because he just he just plays around with his food for like four hours, and I'm like, you could have I could have been in my hotel an hour and a half ago, and he'll be up to that's the love, and then he'll lose the third and he'll start complaining and then he'll go to his box and then he'll be a seven six in the fourth and I'm like, dude, and I'll see him.
Speaker 5: I'm like, do you just enjoy keeping me because he knows that I'm in there?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and then he starts like losing focus and then I'm like, like, he frustrates the hell out of me. I hate doing no vas matches, but I've done a lot of outcras as well, and I think that's probably probably one of my favorite to watch because he's so exciting and he always has something up his sleeve that I think this tennis world hasn't seen.
Speaker 5: He's going to keep evolving.
Speaker 2: You haven't played him yet, have you not yet? I think he's the only one in the top ten.
Speaker 5: Yes, yep, yeah, well that could be fun. Yeah, that'd be fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I guess my my last one on this side of things is in the So you've been out, Yeah, you've played one match since October twenty twenty two. The sport has evolved a bit since then. What have you made of how it's progressed and maybe some of the new players that have come along in your absence? Like, what are you coming back to?
Speaker 3: I think yeah, the sports kind of I think the courts have kind of slowed down everywhere, so I think you see more more of the know all rounder type of game style. Now you don't see his serve dominant players anymore. I mean there's a couple in the top ten, you know, Taylor Fritz, you know Huby Hircash was in the top ten for for a while there, and those were the really the two guys that only were in sort of the stat wise of serve bots, you know, those players that were just serve dominant. But you look at everyone in the top ten. Now everyone's in a great mover. You know, you've got outcras in a whole garooon like Demona, Like, these guys move insane, and so guys like me that are six four six five, I think we kind of have to, you know, keep adapting our game and figure out how we're going to beat these kind.
Speaker 5: Of small guys that move like Gazelle's out there.
Speaker 3: So I think the sport as kind of like it's it's favoring these guys that are more all rounded type of players that have really no weakness, the incredible returners, and that you know, you look at someone like Sinner, he's moving and range and hitting absolutely he's knocking the ball as hard as he can and you just wouldn't. All these courts are kind of playing all the same speeds now, where at Wimbledon you could kind of negate that, you know, by serving big and you know, taking cuts out of it. But you can't really do that anymore so and the game is a bit Yeah, it's it's different now for sure.
Speaker 2: So are you preparing with your comeback? Are you preparing for it with that in mind?
Speaker 3: I think I have to, you know, I think, you know, I'm not going to beat some of these guys now by trying to outrally them.
Speaker 5: That's just not possible.
Speaker 3: I think Mevdev was the first one that changed that, playing five meters behind the baseline. Then these other guys started coming through, and you just have to have variation. Someone like me has to have to have variation, you know, keep them guessing, you know, two big first serves, you know, trying to take some risk because you're not going to beat these guys playing their type of game style, which is rallying and then trying to aray them.
Speaker 5: It's not possible.
Speaker 1: Is a really famous quote intenans that pressure is a privileged bliging king quote.
Speaker 4: What does that mean to you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think not everyone can deal with, you know, especially you see that quote as you walk out to Arthur ash Stadium and when you really walk out there on a night session and the whole you know, the stadium is completely packed and there's a constant buzz because it's so loud in there, and you're getting balls as you're about to serve and you look up and it's like a wall of people just glaring down at you. I think that's when you realize that not everyone's cut out for you know, and people don't want to be in that position. I think when you realize that you're under that much pressure and you have anxiety, and you realize that you've got you know, eyes at you and you've got to hit a tennis ball on the line, that's when you realize that, yeah, you are a special type of person and you've you've worked to put yourself in a position, but not everyone's capable of dealing with it and executing under pressure. So, you know, I had the luxury of playing on that court so many times, and it's it's it's it is it's daunting sometimes, you know, and you've got five people in your box that look at you and they understand how you are as a person off the court, and then all of a sudden you're this this I guess, another person in the middle of this arena that's full staring at you. It's it's strange because then I get off the court and I'm like, yeah, you just snick again. So it's like a very interesting dynamic of if you want to be that person, because it's hard. It's hard to be in that I guess a pressure cook all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't help noticing your cap with the word Azilien.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What quality do you think has served you most in your carisofa.
Speaker 3: I have been very resilient, I think, you know, there have been times where I didn't want to be a part of the tennis world anymore.
Speaker 5: I was really struggling with mental health. I was struggling with so.
Speaker 3: Many different things, and I just kept kind of, I guess, trying to just keep moving forward.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I think I strongly believe that you never stay still. You either you know, move slightly in the right direction or you move slightly backwards. So I think I've just been extremely resilient. Honestly, I just I'm really proud to be here again at the Aussie summer and just being able to compete, and I think I'm carrying myself in the right way.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I probably say Resilien's probably one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just to finish up as you look ahead to the Ausy summer and you'll come back overall, what's the Is there a focus or a particular goal that you're striving for.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I don't.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to enter the tournament just to just to play again. You know, I do want to win. That's ultimately my goal. I'm not going to sit here and say I'm the favorite, absolutely not, but I do believe that I'm able to, you know, walk. I want to walk away from the Aussie summer with some great memories.
Speaker 5: And that doesn't mean winning a tournament.
Speaker 3: That means maybe, you know, competing against one of the best in the world and I might come up short, but I realize that, wow, my level is still there after everything that I've gone through. That's success and I want to do it. And I want to carry myself in the right way. You know, if I lose a match, I want to look at the opponent of the ice too good. I want to be able to just walk away from the other summer and feel good about my performance and the amount of work I put in and give.
Speaker 5: Hopefully it gives the crowd a bit of a different show.
Speaker 2: We can guarantee that one's going to happen, and we're looking forward to the draw because yes, you're the ultimate dangerous floater in the drawer. I guess, I guess.
Speaker 3: So, I mean that's it's a question mark, isn't it, of what they're going to get. And I think at this point in my career people do understand that it's going to be a bit of a roll the dice of what they're going to get.
Speaker 5: So, I mean that's how you prepare. You just prepare for anything.
Speaker 4: Well, we can't wait to see it and wish you all the best.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. That's great.
Speaker 1: Well, Matt Nick returns to tennis with some pretty lofty goals, as he should with as you know, considering the talent he has. But I also think it's such a win for him to even be back on court after everything that he's gone through, So really looking forward to saying that this summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there were like so many things that he said in that interview. It was really like it was really compelling to listen to him speak. But there were quite a few surprising things that he said, Like I really love drilling down with him about all of like the business side of tennis and how he'd market it and package it up. And he was saying that he would, you know, maybe adopt a three set format early in the tournament and switch back to five sets in the quarterfinals. And he wants more of an emphasis on mixed doubles, Like they were I thought they were. It wasn't expecting him to say those things, but I thought they were really cool innovations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's obvious to me that he's spent a lot of time thinking about tennis in his time away from actually playing, and he's taken a lot from his commentary career as well, so he's really thought about it.
Speaker 4: And yeah, on that mixed doubles.
Speaker 1: Topic, he would love to play with or we would have loved to have played with ash BARTI wouldn't that have been an amazing.
Speaker 2: Sight to have seen? Would have been wonderful. Well, we hope you enjoyed listening to that as much as we enjoyed doing the interview. We'll be back again next Monday with another episode of the sit Down where we bring you our chat with WTA supervisor donniic Helso. And in the meantime, you can listen to John and Brie and the team this Thursday on the Aoshow Weekly.
Speaker 1: Details for how to contact us are in the show notes, and please subscribe, rate and review.
Speaker 4: See you next week, Matt do It Again a MBB