Speaker 1: Don't take candy from strangers. It's one of the first things you learn as a kid. What if the man handing out sweets actually made them himself. Well, families would most likely think that this is a kind of a Willy Wonka type figure who was just doing business. But as it turned out, this man was Dean Coral, a man who between nineteen seventy and nineteen seventy three killed upwards of twenty eight boys age between thirteen and twenty. This is the case of Dean Coral, the candy man.
Speaker 2: Oh, the candyman.
Speaker 1: Can't hey nice one? We harmonized in a joke.
Speaker 2: We both write to start It's not welcome to not another crime podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm George Dellow, I'm Sammy Peters, I'm a journalist. I am not. But I'll tell you what if you were to skip ahead and just listen to the story, go right ahead and do that. The time code is in the show notes. But can I say you're not gonna want to do it this week?
Speaker 2: No? Can I tell her?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Can I tell the listeners what? Ol friend Taylor said? Shout out high Taylor. If you're listening and you this episode, she will She's she's okay. So Taylor works with me, and she has told me that she loves our podcast, but she loves the most messed.
Speaker 3: Up stories your best.
Speaker 2: And she says sometimes the ones that don't have really gruesome details are boring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's not nice to say boring.
Speaker 2: No, but what she has said.
Speaker 1: That tweet that's like imagine dying in a horrific way and someone skips over it.
Speaker 2: That episode of the podcast is boring because that is Taylor.
Speaker 1: She met Taylor. By the way, Can I just say that Taylor sent me a very funny It was like a meme of like a a survey after meeting someone, going did you like me? Or with friends?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good bye.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She said that there is another crime podcast that she's always loved called Morbid, which HS well and when she said, oh, I don't know if I can listen to yours, because I love Morbid so much. And she said to us the other night that now she finds the Morbid chat up top really boring because ours is so good and she loves that so much. So no offense to the girls from Morbid, but we're more.
Speaker 1: On than yeah, absolutely, well, anything else we have got attitude and energy. That's what we always bring. We bring attitude. We bring energy every since goddamn week, and you.
Speaker 2: Can back I always bring attitude. I don't know if I always bring energy.
Speaker 1: Well, look as we went through the story, your energy to drop off a little bit because sorry is awful.
Speaker 2: We're recording this intro straight after we recorded their story proper. And that's why I was confident the story proper story.
Speaker 1: I thought it was your new story proper like I did a hand, yes, yessay, just say no, it's like a gang story proper or I went met Taylor the other day, which was so much fun. We went to and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, may I say, we're not wink talking about Taylor swift Wink.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we were not hanging out with Taylor swift Wink in Elwood the other day. But yeah, So I had not met Taylor before. Loved Taylor. But I said to you before because at the end of the year we've had both had huge years. And I said to you, I'm only going to go for one drink. I can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another mutual friend of ours was having her like annual Christmas house.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I said, I can only go for one drink. I'm too tired. We stayed so much. I went in pretty hot to that party and we had a great time.
Speaker 2: In real hot. You were the one that said, I don't I can't stay longer than probably won drink.
Speaker 1: I'm going to drive.
Speaker 2: I'm so tired.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Maybe you do what you want to do. And then I was the one saying to you when we were walking to a bar after our friends plays, I don't think I'm want to go to the bar. I want to go home, and you were like, well, come on, one drink, more drink and Taylor doesn't even remember the bar.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but so much fun. But yeah. We ended up playing this card game for a long time. Any someone brings out a card game and everyone went.
Speaker 2: No, yes, because of my calling it a card game, you're making it sound like it was like it. No, you make it sound like she brought out a deck of cards and then we're playing a game. No. The card game was called Stir the Pot, and the cards are it's just a bunch of cards that have questions on them to ask the group designed to stir the pot, which is the worst idea for a game ever, and our friend whose house it was at like everyone had just arround. Everyone was stone hold sober. It was the middle of the day, it was like light sunlight, and she brought out this game and started reading out questions that were things like who who in the group looks the most like they need a shower. And she kept reading out these questions and I was just looking at her, like back to the whole group, saying, hey, this is about idea, this is about it.
Speaker 3: We shouldn't play this.
Speaker 2: This is a bad idea, This is a bad idia, this is a bad idea, and she just kept looking at and asking what questions.
Speaker 1: I love that it was. It was so much fun. It was it was a real fun time. But I also went to the wrong and it was I went to the wrong house. I didn't look at the numbers, and I convinced myself, I don't know what it was about me, I just because I'm not I don't think I'm a very stubborn person. I was just standing outside someone else's house, going this is it.
Speaker 2: And not checking the message where she had told you what addressed. And then later when I looked at I had a message from you going George, I can't get in. How do I get in? Like really angrily? You read the wrong fu it, house mate, I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 1: Is not moving like maybe I should just check the numbers. Real bizarre move. I don't really understand that move still to this day came the strange. But also I can't say this really quickly. I had a great experience recently where I was walking the other day to you know, refill so I got my anti anxiety medication, not the pro anxiety medication, but the anti anxiety medication. Where I was like getting I told I told you recently a pet peeve is refilling the script because because it costs ninety dollars when you do it, and it was just a tally heal thing to get the thing. Anyway, So I'm on the way to the chemist and I was thinking on the way, how great would it be if I could get my six months of medication right then and there, like not not have to go every time and get my thing. So the the I was going to say that the I'm not a dog.
Speaker 2: The did you think you went there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Maybe the pharmacist looks at me and goes, how annoying. Is it? What do you come every every month or whatever? I'm like, yeah, I come come once a month and everything and he goes, winks at me, gives me six months worth? Right then?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is that allowed? I don't know. It was fantastic and I got into that and really expensive as well.
Speaker 2: There's a redacted part of this Introy you guys why.
Speaker 1: He gave it all to me? And I was like, this is you had no one? But this was like this is actually pretty damn cool.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's a reason they Don'tkay, well, that's where it was lucky you just went to the Maybe that's why, because the VET give you whatever they want.
Speaker 1: That's right. I got my flea medication? Have you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Once?
Speaker 1: Really what happened? I just got and one of the great stories for me to tell you that I want to tell you this really quickly. This this episode is really really full on. There's a warning in it. Any way. I tried to do some fun stuff I've talked about talking about lollies and stuff because it's it's called the candy Man, and when I was little, I was a huge, huge lolly fan.
Speaker 2: I loved eating can Okay, we're just playing a game of name things that are obvious, are we what? Every kid love Lolli.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not a sweet tooth now, so it's like, yeah, so take that back.
Speaker 2: I take it back. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: So I love Lolly so much. And there was also a point where I loved them when I was a kid. And also, like, I go swimming and I was in the swim squad and you used to get killer pythons and they used to like hand them to you in the pool.
Speaker 2: So we should do that as a story.
Speaker 1: That'd be fun. But yeah, so I just eat them in the pool and everything and just have like the greatst day of weird times in our lives. But I used to have it. And I don't know if I've talked about this on the podcast before, so please correct me if I already have. But I to have ever talked you about my dad's book that Okay. So in on Philip Island, in the place called New Haven, which is like where the high school and primary school. So my dad worked at the primary school and up the road from the primary school there was just a shop. It wasn't an i ga, but it was very much like an IgA like a small grocery dependent. Yeah, they just had like a wall of Lolly's. And I found out once that my dad had this thing called the book where it was just a tab where you could go and he would just not pay at the time, but just write in the book. And he would just write, like you know, Harley that day and everything signed it off. At the end of the month, they would send out a little I've found he had this book then. I didn't know so, yeah, it was a tab. I didn't know that, Dad, you had to pay for the book. You just thought, well lollies, you kid.
Speaker 2: You just thought. You didn't think about the fact that one day he would have to pay for it.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that, but I didn't understand what a credit card was. Mum had like a car. Yeah, I was like, what, you.
Speaker 3: Can just get get stuff.
Speaker 2: They send you things if you just ta.
Speaker 1: I didn't teach me lessons.
Speaker 2: I still think of online shopping like that, like this is amazing numbers.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make any sense to me. Your friends take all my friends and we Adrian and Davin, Zach, we'd all go up to the shop and I would say, whatever you want. My dad's got a book God, and so we would get like Maxi bonds, so you get some ice creams, you get like you have a bag and you're basically just and you get weighed so like the way on the scales and so whatever it was, you would and I'll go, it's on me. Anyway. One time I was in the shop and there's like, I also love it when someone goes and going down the shops. I think it's such an Australian thing to say, but there's like, so there's four of us kids lined up and a man has a basket of groceries and it's like milk, bread, whatever. He's got a full basket of his groceries. And I said, my friends are with me. And then I said to the man, put on the book. The man you didn't in the book, and the and Graham at the store went, no, Sam, you can't put it on the book. That's your dad's book. And he pays for it. And then I went, what do you mean I found out in that moment. Yeah, and then dad got the book because I was so nervous to tell him, even though my dad has never raised his voice in his life, but if it was ever going, oh yeah, and yeah, so he showed me and it just said in the court of like Zach Tyron Adrian had just signed off on their own suites. It was so funny. So they had to change the while Graham letting you do this. I don't know, it was so funny. The other great thing about this shop once that I there was a some sort of promotional thing going for a while with like pizza shapes, and it was like you get a free.
Speaker 2: One Australian.
Speaker 1: Astralian, Yeah, barbecue definitely, but I do wonder if pizza shapes are different. Yeah, but yeah, so you would basically in that you could win a free pack at And what they shop didn't know is that all of them were free because they got a bad bunch and every single one. So we would go in and get one, open it, take it back in, get another one. With thirty boxes of pizza, it was a pretty good.
Speaker 2: Day, young boys. You just would have eaten them all rather than going, oh, how like we can have.
Speaker 1: These not all at once. But we also had to open the bag to get the foil bags. It was like you could even save it because it was we opened all these bags of pizza, Shank and the Sacon our place. It was a great time. That's so good.
Speaker 2: I think that Graham from the shop down the road in New Haven needs to have a stain talking allowing kids to.
Speaker 1: Put things on the book on the book, I know the rules definitely changed after that.
Speaker 2: It's very cute that you tried to get some random man's grocery.
Speaker 1: Before we get into this week's episode, I want you to tell a little story about recently when we were at a night out and you met a very rude lady at the night out when you said hello to Sam Pang.
Speaker 2: That's right. So we were seeing the comedian Alan Davies, a British comedian, and at interval of the show, I was lining up for the ladies. I had Padermner and Sam Pang, who is a very popular, very beloved TV presenter and comedian and radio host in Australia.
Speaker 1: Does it all.
Speaker 2: He does it all. He walked past and I saw him and said hello. We've met each other a number of times before, so Sam and he went, oh hi, how are you? Came up and gave me a hug and kept walking. And then the lady in front of me in the line for the toilets, goes, mister Pang like this, and he turned around to look at her with a look on his face as if he were going to recognize her, and then realized he didn't, so his face changed and he just went hello, you know, very politely, He's so lovely. But he was kind of looking like, oh that George must be with someone I know as well. Oh no she's not. Oh yeah, just very polite hello. And then she goes, how's your night, and he goes, yeah, good, thanks, and kind of was polite and then walking yeah, kept walking. And then this lady turned to me with this look of disgust and disdain and looked at me, clearly having thought I didn't know him. So how he was so friendly and came up and gave me a hug. If she called out his name, he would do the same to her. When then she realized that wasn't the case, she turned to me with this look on her face, like turned her nose up at me and goes, well, should I know who you are?
Speaker 1: Like really angry.
Speaker 2: With me that I knew Sampang. It was so funny and so bizarre, and I.
Speaker 1: Think that we're all doing it now.
Speaker 2: Now everyone's look at me? Should I know?
Speaker 1: I know who you are? It's so funny. I love that.
Speaker 2: I like time Sampang. Next time I see you, I may not say look. So I'm scared of the ladies around me.
Speaker 1: Ladies around me. This week's episode is a very very hard listen. But we would like to also say thank you for all of your wonderful, wonderful support. We love hearing from you. If you want to write in Sami at chulsinother coompany dot com dot au, you can leave us a voicemail. Links are below in the show notes. We'll do that at the end. In the mailbags, you.
Speaker 2: Must leave us a five star review and a five star rating. If you didn't like a particular episode, that's fine for you to tell us about that, Taylor, if you didn't like it's fine for you to tell us about that. But dear listeners, if you like the podcast but not a particular episode, just tell us and just leave us a five star review anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, keep it to yourself.
Speaker 2: I just know, always leave a five star reviews I do.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you didn't like it, keep to yourself. But we would love you to help us build this podcast. We love doing it, so the more you support it, the algorithm works like that if you leave more reviews, more ratings and pushes it out to more people.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: You would absolutely love that as well.
Speaker 2: And we love you and you can follow us on Instagram and TikTok at. Not another crime podcast, that's right? And is there anything else that we want them to know?
Speaker 1: I am doing a I'm doing a show a little bit trying out new jokes and filming jokes. Are on the seventeenth of January at two pm in Melbourne St Kilda. So if you want to come along fun, say like that, so killder Melbourne? Is that better? Way? Better? Ten dollar tickets the Saint Kilda tap House.
Speaker 2: Six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be great. It's gonna be so much time.
Speaker 2: You're planning things for the goddamn future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get your little tikies come along. It's gonna be a lot of fun. Come and say hello. I'd love that.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything that I'm doing next to you have zero plans?
Speaker 1: Yep, Well you'll be there. Ticket links that is below. Okay, this is the week's episode of Real.
Speaker 2: Thank You.
Speaker 1: Wed Like Goodbye Boddy should I know who you are. This case is truly disturbing. Before we get into today's episode, I'd like to warn listeners with a rather massive, massive warning. This case involves the abuse of children, torture, rape, and more extremely heavy themes. This is also a brief version of the case. There is a lot of further reading that I've actually chosen not to talk about here. But if anyone wants to read anything further about Dean co and that's c o r r l ol r r l chral.
Speaker 2: No other vows. There's only one Valain yeh, chorl lor sounds a bit like our pigeon.
Speaker 1: Chral. It's how Americans say Carl Chral.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Chral.
Speaker 2: I was just getting confused about what the night it really has only got one Valina.
Speaker 1: It's either one, I know, it's one r and two.
Speaker 2: Ls choral coral chral. Yeah, it's like in love. Actually, when Laurel is coral coral.
Speaker 1: Let me just double check that's how you spell his name there, Dean Chral be very funny. Yeah, Dean Chral c o r l ol.
Speaker 2: That's really strange. I feel like that started him out poorly in life.
Speaker 1: Absolutely chorl awesome. It's awesome. Today, Syrial is often referred to as the candy man or the pied Piper.
Speaker 2: I don't like either of those. I don't like the candyman, especially because I really desperately want to sing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Maybe at the end you could sing term sing us out if you feel like. The Pied Piper of Hamlet is a legendary figure from a German folk tale about a piper in colorful clothes who rids the town of rats by luring them away with music. But when the townsfolk refuse to pay him, he takes revenge by charming their children away, leading them in to a mountain where they disappear. I'd also like to go into the term candy. Candy is an American term. In the UK, they're referred to as sloes or confectionery, and in Australia we often call them lollies.
Speaker 2: You know that in the UK they call so what we call in Australia our term lollies yeap refers to like hard boiled sweets, like jelly lollies, like in snakes stuff the jelly lollies. In the UK they're called harribo Harrabo, which Harabo is a brand, but they just call all like jelly sweets, harrabos.
Speaker 1: Oh harrabos, they call it yeah, and they just say sweets as well. That's a big thing in the UK they say sweets. Lolli's is kind of my favorite australianism. I used to be absolutely obsessed with lollies. And here's a quick definition I found of lollies. Lollies is the common term for what Americans call candy and British people call sweets, referring to any sugar based confectionery like chocolates, gummies, or hard candies. It's a general term for treats when a lolly when a lolly singular is often just one piece, though a lollipop sweet on a stick is still called a lollipop. The word has been around since the eighteen fifties, and in slang, lolly can also mean money or losing your temper. Do your lolly, Yeah, it's a British term, do your lolly.
Speaker 2: I'm also obsessed with the fact that when we sat down to record this, you said, if you need to break anytime, let me know, because it's a really long episode and you've gone into a deep.
Speaker 1: Deep dove. I looked into the phrase don't take candy from strangers. It likely originated from the famous eighteen seventy four kidnapping of Charles Charlie Ross, America's first recorded ransom kidnapping, Oh My God, with a young boy was lured into a carriage by men offering candy and fireworks, Charlie and the lollly factor. Charlie the loly factor, that's right, leading to his disappearance and creating a powerful cautionary tale that became a common saying that is very very relevant here. The case captured nation national attention and highlighted the dangers of trusting unknown individuals, solidifying the warning in popular culture today.
Speaker 2: You've just realized your iPad was upside down. I've been looking at it the whole time.
Speaker 1: It's embarrassed.
Speaker 2: I wasn't going to say anything. I'm glad you noticed. So this case was in America in the America's seventies. Yes, that's correct in that it's not called the lolly Man.
Speaker 1: That's correct. In nineteen seventy three Houston, Texas, a boy by the name of Alma Wayne Lee, who often was referred to as just. Wayne led detectives to a series of industrial boat storage units and walked to number eleven. Detectives removed the padlock with bolt cutters after getting permission from the owner of the storage units. There they found sacks of lime, a car boxes, water, garbage containers, carpet, and a child's yellow bicycle, a bag with children's clothing, an unconnected telephone, and lots and lots of bits and pieces. Alma Wayne Henley was the first to walk into the shed. He took a step inside and his face turned ashen. He tried to get himself together. There was something inside this shed that they hadn't seen already. Two more detectives soon arrived. Detectives at this point had no idea that this boy was leading them to the dumping ground of one of America's most notorious serial killers, Dean Coral. Digging began body after body close to midnight. They discovered a mass grave and would soon discover over twenty eight victims. Oh my god, so who was Dean Coral? Dean Arnold Corral was born on Christmas Eve in nineteen thirty nine in Indiana. Just down the road was that avan.
Speaker 2: This story when you were christ was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was the eldest son of Mary Roberson, which is Robo. M It's not Robinson.
Speaker 2: So many missing letters in these people's names.
Speaker 1: And Arnold Edwin Corel. His mother was described as very loving and very kind to Dean, but the father was the distant one in the household. He later went on to state that he never even liked children. He was incredibly strict with his son, and he wasn't so loving or nurturing with either of their children. They later had a boy by the name of Stanley. For the smallest infraction, Arnold will beat the children, and this drove a huge wedge between me and Arnold. They started arguing and finding more and more when Mary, you know, just became extremely protective of her two sons. Good. The parents ended up divorcing after living an extremely fractured and volatile situation, in nineteen forty six, when Dean was seven and his younger brother, Stanley was only four years old. Now I've also read that they divorced in nineteen forty two, but for math's purposes, I think nineteen forty six makes more sense to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm really good at mass.
Speaker 1: I know you are your to step in. Do any of them, I'll call you in quite bad.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even think of the word of quite.
Speaker 1: After divorcing, the family home was sold so the pair could properly split and start new lives without each other. Mary was extremely happy to be away from her abusive partner, Arnold. Mary Stanley and Arlold moved to Memphis, Tennessee. Arnold was drafted into the Air Force, and they moved so they could stay closer to their father. So decided to be stationed there basically so they could still be close to Arnold, even though he didn't really like or want children. Mary had custody of the kids, but she wanted them to have some kind of relationship with Arnold. I don't know why, since he always said he didn't like kids, but Mary and Arnold did try and reconcile their marriage, but the pair rarely got along. Dean was shy, anxious, and quiet as a kid. He didn't go out of his way to talk to people and didn't enjoy being in the spotlight. He was not ever known to socialize with other children at all as a child. Who was also known as really sensitive who would look at and had empathy for others, something that is hard to believe. As we get into the story. At the age of seven, Dean contracted rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever known as ARF, is a serious inflammatory illness and can develop after an untreated strep, throat or skin infection, causing the immune system to mistakenly attack the body, particularly the heart, joints, brain, and skin. I got into the key symptoms here, but basically, if it's not diagnosed, you can have massive, massive repercussions of that. And he ended up having a heart murmur for life because he was neglected to have this treated, so he didn't find out for four years. So we had this for four years. So he started treatment when he was eleven years old. The way they found out was Dean had now had a heart condition and a heart murmur, which was from a long time of neglect. Because of this condition, he couldn't join in with a lot of activities with the kids, especially sports. Well, the rest of the kids were playing and having fun, Dean had to watch from the sidelines. I watched from the sidelines, but not for the last.
Speaker 2: I choice, my choice, choice, You just did cheerleader.
Speaker 1: Cheer leader.
Speaker 2: I just wanted cheers.
Speaker 1: I just want to cheer. In nineteen fifty Marry and Arnold tried to get back together again and moved to California, but it only lasted another three years, falling apart again. In nineteen fifty three, they divorced again. The divorce was amic so that actually remarried, and they remarried each time.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I feel like, if you got divorced once, maybe remind yourself of why exactly.
Speaker 1: But they kept trying to get back together, and I feel like maybe in that time they would always go for the kids.
Speaker 4: Oh of course.
Speaker 2: I mean you say that now as well, And you know that can be an admirable thing if you're trying to make it work for the kids. If Arnold had, you know, changed his ways and become better, it could be seen as admirable. But sure, I know, maybe I find it even more interesting in those days that because I think divorce was a bigger thing in terms of it wasn't as common to divorce, but then get actually married again.
Speaker 1: The divorce was amicable this time, so the boys were able to still have contact with Arnold. Now. The weird thing about this is there's not a lot of information about Arnold. I don't know what happened to him, but I don't think there was a lot of contact. Dean certainly didn't have contact with him as he grew older, and you don't really hear about Stanley at all. Mary moved the boys then to vid Or, Texas vid vital v I d O R A minu.
Speaker 2: At least there's two vows.
Speaker 1: You're happy with that one, remember with that one, except please proceed with caution anytime like I does, anytime I'd like to be driving. She was teaching me how to drive and to go proceed caution, Texas, where she met a traveling clock salesman by the name of James West.
Speaker 2: This is all something Jake West, traveling clock salesman. It feels very willy wonka, it does.
Speaker 1: It's a very very different time. It feels unreal, doesn't it. They married soon after and had a baby girl by the name of Joyce. Mary and Jake, the X clock salesman, decided to venture out with their own business, p com Prince, a candy making company.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Dean and his brother Stanley would operate the machinery and help make candy.
Speaker 2: Oh, this feels like yucky foreshadowing foreshadowing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in high school, Dean's only interest that I could find was the brass band. He played in instrument?
Speaker 2: Did he play?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, he plays in brass? Was it a.
Speaker 2: Brass band you were?
Speaker 1: What did you play?
Speaker 2: Well? I started out playing the euphonium, which is like a smaller tuber and if this is this sums me up better than anything else. So when I started at a new school in grade five, I'd gone to like a public primary school, and then in grade five I went to a private school and they had a music school as part of it. So when I was doing the tour on the first day, I was like, what do you mean a music school and they said, well, you can choose an instrument like any of the instruments we've got, and you can learn instrum. And I was like what, And I said, in grade five, is there any is there any instrument that no one in the school? Yeah, from prep to your twelve play and the music teacher said, yes, the euphonium, And I said, I'll do that one like that, but that's not a brass Like it's a brass instrument, but it's not a very brass band. Instrument that one I played in this symphony orchestra, the school's symphony orchestra, not like the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. But then I decided in grade ten the euphonium wasn't cool, so I upgraded to the traumbone.
Speaker 1: Oh, very very.
Speaker 2: Cool, and that's what I played in the brass band. Continue, please with caution.
Speaker 1: Proceed with cautioned. He never socialized as he grew older, but he maintained really good grades. He continued to make no friends and was always a bit of a loner, spending his time helping his mum and stepfather with their candy store.
Speaker 2: He must have played the euphonium if I reckon.
Speaker 1: After his graduation, his family moved to Houston, Texas. They moved their candy operations into a new shop. His stepdad would go out selling the money, changing from clocks to candy, and his mum would make the candy in the store, selling the money.
Speaker 2: You said he'd go selling the money.
Speaker 1: Changing from clocks to candy. Yeah, I don't say selling the money. I did, yeah, candy, selling the making the money.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 1: A couple of years out of high school, Dean moved to Indiana, to live with his grandmother.
Speaker 2: Gosh, there's a lot of movement, a movement by this age.
Speaker 1: He stayed there for around two years. He met a girl and soon they were in a relationship. It fell apart pretty quickly and she asked him to marry her, but he said no. Oh oh wow, he said no. He ended up moving back to Houston after a couple of years. He started helping with the family candy business and took it a bit more seriously in nineteen sixty two, seeing this as a career pathway. He lived with them briefly and then ended up living with his mum and stepdad Jake, and then ended up renting his own apartment above the candy shop. His stepfather, Jake at one point noticed some things about Dean and took Mary aside to tell her that he suspected Dean was gay. She got offended and insisted he wasn't. Mary was extremely homophobic and thought that gay people were disgusting. There was her words, disgusting.
Speaker 2: You know who's disgusting, Mary, Mary, Yeah, Robertson, Mary Roberson, get an inn in your name. For once.
Speaker 1: She thought of her son as loyal, obedient, helpful, loving and a good and normal. Boy. That's how she is.
Speaker 2: He's all of those things, those things. Knowing this from the intro, I don't think he is those things.
Speaker 1: But that's not no, no, no, I think we're describing a gay person.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, that's I was like, yeah, yes he was. They did do with that, But then I remembered we're talking about a serial mener.
Speaker 1: Knowing this about his mum, Dean never felt comfortable enough to talk about his sexuality with his mum or his stepfather. It's unclear really what this relationship was with his biological father, Arnold as well, But at this point all we really know, and I don't. I don't really think there was a relationship salvaged there at all. In nineteen sixty three, his mother divorced her husband and then opened up her own care business, the Coral Candy Company, and made Dean the vice president. Now it was a store. I found it very funny that he was a vice president still just for a store. And also at this time I did read something that was like they were still living together at the time she started the store. So there was two candy companies running out.
Speaker 3: Of the same place.
Speaker 1: Oh dear, okay, yeap Not long into the business, a teen male employee came forward and accused Dean of trying to proposition him. Nothing happened, The young boy was just fired.
Speaker 3: Sorry, so he was to have a conversation.
Speaker 1: They said, no, you know, oh God, and no one took the time to investigate and.
Speaker 2: Howld was Dean now like twenties.
Speaker 1: Twenties Yeah, Mary did not believe that her son would do something like that. Dean was drafted into the US Army in August nineteen sixty four. US operations in Vietnam were expanding at the time, and Dean was sent to Louisiana for basic training, then on to Georgia. Hey that's my name, it's your name, and then a permanent assignment in Texas. He worked as a radio repairman. During this time. He absolutely hated military training and applied for a hardship discharge, using the excuse that he had to be home with his family to run the family business vice president. Of course, of course, he was only in there for about ten months and got out in nineteen sixty five.
Speaker 2: Well that's a long time to be doing something, you really.
Speaker 1: Have Absolutely during this time in the army, Dean first realized that he was homosexual. He actually told people in the army that he thought that he was. He got out of the army and resumed his position as vice president. As vice president at the Coral Candy Company, the main competition at this point was Dean's stepdad, Jake's candy.
Speaker 2: Business That's so Weird.
Speaker 1: So Weird. Dean was working crazy hours at this point, and they were trying hard to make it work and meet the supplier and demand the supply and demand of the local huston. Late in nineteen sixty five, the family business moved the location of the company across the road from Helms Elementary School. A lot of the kids would obviously stop by the store, and Dean would hand out a lot of free sweets to the kids, luring them into the shop to entice them to buy more. This is where he started to earn the nickname the candy Man. Never say it three times. Some people started calling Dean the Pied Piper. He was giving out free candy to local children and luring them away from their school. While all of this seemed innocent on the outside, there was a very dark part of Dean's mind that was brewing away. He favored teen boys, and there happened to be quite a few now working for the candy company. Many of the boys found him to be incredibly creepy. Nobody did anything about his behavior time and time again. He was also known to bury defective candy at night outside side, not in the bins. He bury it. He'd actually dig up and bury candy.
Speaker 2: That's so weird. Also, what is defective candy?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess candy that doesn't look perfect guessing. But some have speculated that his killings could have become a lot earlier.
Speaker 2: Because of digging up thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, So he said he was just bearing candy out at night, so he had an excuse. But people have since said, there's his victim count was actually a lot higher Jesus, and he started a lot earlier.
Speaker 2: Like there's nothing funny about this, But for want of a better term, it is a bit funny to me to think that he said, oh, there's candy that that can't be sold, so I've just been burying in my garden and the people go, okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, also going I could have it look Dean cleared out of back room of the store and installed a pool table so boys would want to come and hang out with him. What sad This is when he made friends with a twelve year old boy and a very important person in this case, a boy by the name of David Brooks. He was one of the kids who would show up, get free candy and play Paul. He would give that he would give more free candy to the boys around around the neighborhood and bring them into the store. This would become a very important hangout spot, free candy and Paul for everyone who wanted to come in. This is exactly what Dean wanted. David said at the time that Dean was the only person who didn't make fun of his glasses, and that's sad. He had big glasses and Dean with young didn't make fun of him. He had a friend in Dean, and he treated him well. David Brooks started to see Dean as somewhat of a surrogate dad. Dean would give him money and take him everywhere with him. David would come home or David came from a home sorry where his parents weren't together and seemed like he was seeking some kind of big brother, big sister vibe. David saw the factory as his second home. Anytime he needed money, he would walk over and get some from Dean. So Dean would just give him money anytime we want it. Dean would take some of the boys on trips. He'd take them to the beach all the time, and it didn't seem to raise any suspicion at the time. Dean was a big, friendly, kookie Willy Wonka type figure who seemed to be kind of a big kid himself. Often Dean would ride his motorcycle with David on the back, and would even let David drive it when they were alone together. In nineteen sixty six, Mary got married a third time. The name was suppressed, so I'll call him Merchant Seamen because that was his job.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ, why was the name suppressed.
Speaker 1: I don't know him. He was quite a violent and awful person, so I think let's protect his Merchant Seamen. I don't know why. They met on some kind of matchmaking service back then. Don't know what it was, but some sort of you know. Sixty eight they met on some kind of matchmaking service and rushed to get married. Mary was at the time fifty years old. On their honeymoon, Mary was shocked to see how violent and angry. Her new husband was at a taxi driver what's her husband's.
Speaker 2: Name, Merchant Seamen wrecked.
Speaker 1: He bragged how crewmen would actually walk off his ship if they found out he was working. Oh my god, awful. He was not a nice man. Merchant's ex wife actually took her own life, but Mary was suspicious about this when he told her about it, Oh my god, she went to see the coroner's report to actually see how she died.
Speaker 2: Oh dear.
Speaker 1: Soon after, they annulled the marriage. A few weeks later, they remarried and moved in together.
Speaker 2: Stopped doing this Mary.
Speaker 1: He was an extremely jealous person. Went offshore. He phoned Mary, but if she didn't pick up, he would fly straight back to Houston to see if she'd fallen.
Speaker 2: In love with another man Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: One time, he pretended he was away and staked outside her house for two nights to keep an eye on her. Oh gross. Merchant Seamen never liked Dean, much like Mary's ex husband, Jake West. The friction between Merchant and Dean grew and grew that were not involved in each other's lives at all. Mary and Merchant would continually fight, break up, and then move back in together. One time, he bought her the most beautiful flowers and told her that if she died, he would throw the most beautiful funeral for her. That is so fucked up, especially if he killed her. He said that, Yep, it's lovely.
Speaker 2: She says. Not many good people in this story so far.
Speaker 1: Merchant would also openly cheat on Mary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we no shit. The jealous ones was due.
Speaker 1: In nineteen sixty seven, Dean was still handing out candy to all the kids, and the relationship between him and David Brooks was growing. More trips to the beach, more riding on his motorcycle. The Coral Family Candy Company closed in nineteen sixty eight. Dean's mother couldn't run the store anymore. It just wasn't making any money.
Speaker 2: Because the VP was giving away everything and then burying the rest of it.
Speaker 1: Is he we don't know. And of course, Merchant and Mary began threatening to have each other committed to a psychiatric facility. A Merchant was actually committed. He was, of course relationship in this relationship. I think he was released after being under surveillance for twenty four hours. He then went on to threaten Mary to commit her that he was going to commit her permanently and that he would pay to do so, making sure that she would undergo intense shock therapy. Mary was terrified and slept in her office for six weeks and ended up getting a restraining order against Merchant, but he didn't listen. Merchant would continually break into the factory and make threats, calling Dean a derogatory name for homosexual. Mary encouraged Dean to go out and kill Merchants when he.
Speaker 2: Was as family man.
Speaker 1: Dean instead gave her some bricks to throw at him out the window, and she did.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Mary later said about Dean, so how could people say now that Dean is a murderer. Why if Dean was ever going to be a problem to anyone, it would have been a merchant.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So yeah, no, that totally checks out. I asked him to anyone. If it was going to kill anyone, it would have been my ex husband. But he didn't do that. So all of these bodies that have been found that are linked to definitely can't be him. I don't like Mary, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Mary was, of course, completely blind to what Dean was actually doing. Mary eventually divorced merchant seamen. She and her thirteen year old Joyce ended up moving away, while Dean decided to stay in Houston, Texas. This would be the last time he would ever see his mother, but continued talking to her over the phone. By night he would make candy to keep up with a few orders they still had.
Speaker 2: Wasn't the business dead?
Speaker 1: The business was dead, but there was a couple of orders, and he did that for a little bit of time right then, He.
Speaker 2: Just maybe the business was kind of still going, but the shop was at.
Speaker 1: Shop, wasn't Yeah. Mary Robertson eventually set up a new candy factory in a new hometown. Oh my god, Oh while just even how many, how many different companies they had in this short amount of time.
Speaker 2: And moving a lot for them actually in those days as well, I know it was in the earlier days, moving across the country so often, like so many times, as I know, it was like that was more rare as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But with no job and no finances, Dean got a job as an electrician at the Houston Lighting and Power Company. He'd experienced. He had experience in the Armies. In the Armies. Experience in the Army, not all of the Armies. He stayed in his apartment above the candy store and ended up meeting a single mother named Betty Hawkins.
Speaker 2: He was such a sixties.
Speaker 1: He also formed a much closer relationship now with David Brooks. With his mother out of town, he was able to meet people his own age as well, so that he was sexually attracted to and without having to keep up the facade of being an innocent and good candy maker. More people found him creepy and quick to completely change his demeanor.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm sorry, So what was the relationship with Betty Hawkins? So there was his girlfriend, but while he was with the girlfriend, he found it was easier.
Speaker 3: To so it was a lot more than him. Yes, yep, did she know that?
Speaker 1: No, she was unaware of all this. When David was fifteen years old, he dropped out of his David Brooks sorry, he dropped out of high school and went to live with his mother. So she and her husband split. She moved away, I think to a place called Boumont or something still in Texas. And then he would go back and forth from his dad and his mum. Okay, anytime he would come back to visit his dad in Houston, he would visit Dean at his apartment. Dean would bring David on his dates with his girlfriend Oh and told him that he ever needed a place to stay, that he could just stay with him. One time, when David was staying with Dean, Dean started urging him to experiment with his sexuality. It didn't take long to convince him. Dean paid him some money to let Dean perform for Latio on it and.
Speaker 2: It was like fifteen, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think thirteen actually yeah what Yeah. On September twenty fifth, nineteen seventy, Jeffrey Conan had been hitchhiking with a friend of his. The driver dropped them off in Houston. This was the last time he was ever seen alive. Dean lived in his apartment and likely spotted him offering him a ride to his parents' house. So he was kind of I think on it like an intersection sort of place.
Speaker 2: And he saw he could see so it just saw someone being dropped off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to get Jeffrey. Jeffrey was I think Jeffrey was eighteen years old on September twenty fifth, Sorry, I won't do that again. Him then bound and gagged Jeffrey before taking him to an undisclosed location to rape him.
Speaker 2: Oh God, Saman, when you I thought you were going to say, like, they don't know what happened, though it was never seen again, and we don't really know what happened. I wasn't expecting details.
Speaker 1: When he was through, he placed his hands around Jeffrey's neck and manually strangled him.
Speaker 2: So this seemingly has come out of nowhere. Well, we don't really know, but this is the first victims.
Speaker 1: It's known. Yes, he wrapped Jeffrey's body in plastic sheets, drove him out to a beach, and buried him in a shallow grave. Before he buried him, he dumped limes in with him to try and hide the smell.
Speaker 2: Ah, okay, I was wondering, why Lyne, he's a bag of limes?
Speaker 1: At the start, it got worse and worse. One night, when David Brooks was stopping by Dean's apartment, he heard strange noises coming from inside. When he walked in the door, he spotted Dean assaulting two boys strapped to his bed. Dean jumped up and said, I'm just having some fun. Dean had made a device himself to trapped them there. Known later as the torture board.
Speaker 2: Oh Jesus.
Speaker 1: It was a slab of plywood that he drilled holes into so he could tie them there. He used this device in almost all of his murders and rapes. He would tie them up, sometimes leaving them there for days at a time. He would always gag them so they wouldn't be heard in his apartment. David Brooks later said, once they were on the board, they were as good as dead. It was all over, but the shouting and crying.
Speaker 2: Oh so David wooked in on him with two victims once yes, and seemingly said nothing at the time to anyone else.
Speaker 1: And it gets worse. I don't want it to David wasn't sure if he was disgusted or intrigued. Dean ran over to David and bribed him with a car in exchange for silence about what he saw. Oh God, David agreed. Soon after, Dean brought David a green Chevy Corvette and told him that he ended up killing the boys that night.
Speaker 2: Oh but here's a car, so a car, get.
Speaker 1: Over it well. Dean then promised David two hundred dollars for every boy he could bring to him. David immediately got to work.
Speaker 2: Oh No.
Speaker 1: On December fifteenth, nineteen seventy, David lured two fourteen year old boys, James Glass and Danny Yates, to the apartment. He promised it was just to hang out and have a few beers. Both fourteen year old boys were tied to the bed and the same thing happened again, raped, strangled, and then taken to the place where we were burying most of his bodies, a boat shed the he had hired exactly for that purpose. He then waited for six weeks to attack again. The age range of boys was thirteen to twenty years old. He had a very specific target. All these victims would come from the town that Dean lived in, Houston Heights. It was a low socioeconomic neighborhood. Dean liked to get his victims into his car by telling them that there was a party. He would also get them into his car by telling them that he would give them a lift home or take them wherever they needed to go. He would pump the kids full of drugs and alcohol, or play a game with them involving handcuffs designed to get these in place so that they were restricted. Other times, he would forcibly put handcuffs on them. He would then tie them to his bed or tortureboard, and that he hung up on the wall. He would violate his victims and then he would strangle them or shoot them with his twenty two caliber. He put a lot of these bodies in plastic sheets and place them in the rented boat shed or bury them on the beach. He would also get his victims to call or write to their parents to let them know that they were Okay, Oh, that's.
Speaker 2: So like that. Obviously all of this is messed up, but that is just next.
Speaker 1: That's what Dad and Catherine Bernie. Yeah, remember, just so nobody would be getting suspicious knowing that he would then he would kill them. Like a lot of serial killers. He would collect trophies, often the keys from the victims, so the set of keys for the house. Now, of course, if a man was pulling up to you in his van offering you candy, you would run away screaming stranger, danger. But because of another kid kind of their age, David Brooks, he was able to gain their trust. On January thirty, nineteen seventy one, Dean and David spotted two boys fifteen year old Donnie and thirteen year old Jerry Waldrop walking from church.
Speaker 3: To the Bawling Alley Brothers.
Speaker 1: Brothers. They promised the two boys weed and beer if they got into the van. It was a white van, later known as a torture van. It's not very creative in all of this, like the boards called the torture board, the van's called the departments called the torture apartment, but it seemed to be where he would pick up Oh yeah, So it's not clear if the torture van was actually used to torture and kill victims, but to the yeah, that's right, but he definitely transported them in this car. David Brooks later said that Dean did go out to California quite a bit, but no one really knows what he was doing out there, so it's likely he might have picked up even more boys and tortured them in that van. This would mean that the number of boys would be even higher than what we know already. Dean drove the boys back to his new spot, a new apartment place one apartment where he raped, tortured, and strangled both boys to death. This time David watched in the corner and then David helped transport the bodies into the van and then into the boat shed where they were buried.
Speaker 2: So this is the first time we know that he's actually been here.
Speaker 1: So he has watched before, but yeah, this is the first time that he was actually involved that we know of. Even though the home was very close to where the last two boys have been abducted, the police still didn't investigate. What. Yeah, the boy's father, Everett filed two missing person reports for both of his sons. At the time, there were no missing There was not a missing person's unit in the Houston Police Department, so the paperwork was buried. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So it was just part of normal everyday police work, is that if there was someone reported missing, just any cop on the beat, if they had time to get around to it, would look into it.
Speaker 1: I'll put on the Everett showed up to the police station every day for eight months straight, desperately urging the police to do something about his missing sons. He told the Houston Chronicle, I was there about as much as the chief was. The police continually asked him why he was there, that his two boys would just runaways. Everett even told the police that a man by the name of Dean Coral was bearing bodies at a boat shed. What police didn't seem to believe it. It was just a rumor and that all of these boys were runaways.
Speaker 2: Had they looked into this quote unquote.
Speaker 1: They had once gone there that I think I go into. But they didn't find anything, and it was just just asked, just asked him and looked outside the boat shed. Oh sorry. Police did conduct a search around the boat shed but found it was all a hoax. We don't really know what happened now. Dean soon realized he wasn't going to get caught. David did begin to have a guilty conscience. I was too scared to do anything about it. I'm he's very young.
Speaker 2: He's obviously been groomed. I'm not putting that aside at all. Yeah, but it is also incredibly hard to uh not be angry at someone else being involved and not doing anything about it.
Speaker 1: Also, if you're watching the YouTube right now, I've got the itchiest nose.
Speaker 2: And I have a on a cat. I have a T shirt with a cat.
Speaker 1: You've got a beautiful cat top one. David did begin to have a guilty conscience. Like I said, was too scared to do anything about it. Plus he was earning money and saw Dean as a father figure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been incredibly groomed, but yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: On March ninth, nineteen seventy one, Dean and David drove around looking for their next victim. Randal Harvey was returning from his job at a gas station and was never seen again. David actually knew Randall and called out to him to give him a lift home. The same thing has happened before, but instead of strangling Randall, it turned out that he shot him in the head and buried him in the boat shed. He wasn't identified until two thousand and eight, what thirty seven years later that he was actually a victim of the candy Man.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't be too long before they were searching for their next victim. On May twenty ninth, fourteen year old David Hiltergeist and oh Hiller guys sorry, and sixteen year old Mally Winkle Malley used to work at the candy shop.
Speaker 2: Malley Winkle who worked at a candy shop. Shut up. That is a cartoon character, and I will not let you tell me anything bad happened to him.
Speaker 1: David Hilleguys had visited at the candy shop as well, and spent so long there once that his mother had to actually go and collect him. Both boys were brought back to Dean's apartment and the exact same thing laid out as before wicker Back. After the murders, officers heard that Mally had made a phone call to his mother, Selma just before he was taken, saying that he was out swimming with his friends.
Speaker 2: No and his mom's men was Selmi can't with this story.
Speaker 1: He was last seen getting into a white fan. Police again thought the boys were runaways, but their parents insisted that the police search for them and do their job. They knew that their children would not just run off without saying anything. They went searching themselves and printed off posters and a one thousand dollar reward for any information.
Speaker 2: So there's like we're talking kind of a dozen ish by my just memory calculations here, boys around the same age who've gone missing in the same the same neighborhood, not in just the same state, and the police just keep saying every single one of them is a runaway and will not look into it anymore. Yeah, Oh my god, I'm so angry.
Speaker 1: So angry, and imagine these parents, like they're coming to the police station every day. Go please look, please look, Oh God. There's also rumors about dank coral at the time. They then took out a loan to hire a private investigator, he believed, and also saying before this is a low socioeconomic so they're taking it a loan and offering up one thousand dollars of their own money. In the seventies, he believed that their boys can be taken by a man by the name of Chicken Joe. Isn't it crazy, Chicken Joe.
Speaker 2: Chicken Chicken Joe is like he was a guy they.
Speaker 1: Called cold Chicken Joe, that Chicken Joe who provided male sex workers to clients, and their son might have been sold to a sex trafficking ring. The boys' parents ended up driving out to the Montrose area and parked outside a gay bar called the Silver Dollar Saloon. They watched the door all night, hoping to see their son being taken in and out in or out. Yeah, but Chicken Joe, I don't know about.
Speaker 2: That Chicken Jo.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that Chicken Joe. Did you look into him and that.
Speaker 1: What's your I think you just loved eat that chop? You love that chick, love that fried chok. What do you think?
Speaker 2: I think that he was a big old woose.
Speaker 1: Oh big chicken, big chip big. Let's look it up and we'll do it. In the show notes, I can find anything.
Speaker 3: Yep, chicken chicken Joe had that chicken Joe.
Speaker 1: Their parents called the police station every day, even telling the police about specific details that they should be looking into. Dorothy, one of the boys mothers, even took down a license plate t m F seven to four that had been spotted with a mysterious man sitting in the driver's signe.
Speaker 2: The parents are out doing, they're doing the detective.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. A fifteen year old neighborhood boy, Alma Wayne Henley Junior remember this name name yeap called by the Hiller guysed house to ask about David, who had gone missing. He was a good friend of David's and only lived a block away.
Speaker 2: Alma was friends of David Hiller geist yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. He got some posters from his mum to hang out around town. Alma was supposed to be a victim, but Dean thought that Alma could be another person like David Brooks who would lure kids in for him. He offered him the same deal, two hundred dollars for any boy that was brought to him.
Speaker 2: And how did he come into contact with Dean?
Speaker 1: So he was friends with David Brooks as well.
Speaker 2: And David Hiller Geist Yes, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: A lot of the parents who met Dean thought he was a lovely, pleasant man. He knew how to disguise himself. When he went over to Alma's house. His mother invited him in for an Eastern lunch.
Speaker 3: Why did he go over to his house?
Speaker 1: Well, he went to fix his car, so I went to fix it. Yeah, the mum's car. Even Dean's girlfriend, Betty, who he'd been dating for three years, didn't know the real Dean.
Speaker 2: Like hope, no if she was still dating him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, exactly. She claimed that he was never sexually aggressive with her. The only thing she noticed out of the ordinary was once when they were having sex, he stopped because he wasn't feeling into it. To her, he was an upstanding citizen who she was intent on settling down with. She even ignored that he brought the two boys David and Alma with him on some of their dates.
Speaker 3: So creepy, Alma.
Speaker 1: Hadn't seen the real Dean by this point, only David Brooks. Dean promised Alma that if he brought boys to him that he could help him help his family with some money. He explained that he sold the boys to an underground sex trafficking ring.
Speaker 2: Sorry, who did he explain that to Alma, and Alma was like, okay, cool.
Speaker 1: Okay cool. The sex trafficking ring has been something that has come up quite a lot in researching this cave. Dean's monstrous hirade came to an end in nineteen seventy three. I found the following information about the sex trafficking of boys. In February nineteen seventy five, during a routine inquiry, the Houston Police Department uncovered an extensive collection of illegal photographs and films depicting underage boys, some as young as eight, many of whom were from the Houston Heights area where Dean Coral resided. Sixteen individuals were identifiable in the material. Eleven appeared to match victims already attributed to Dean at the time. The remaining individuals had been miners when the images were created, but were adult by the time authorities discovered the material and interviewed them, indicating that the collection had been assembled over a prolonged period. The discovery raised troubling questions about Dean's claim to both Henley and Brooks that he was connected to a Dallas based group that trafficked boys. In the art math of the Houston discovery, five individuals were arrested in Santa Clara, California, including a man by the name of Roy Ames, the owner of the warehouse whether material had been stored, and a known producer of child sexual abuse material. Ames's name was found on a card in Dean Coral's wallet. Despite this, police did not establish a direct connection between Coral and those arrested, what so they didn't know if he was actually a part of the sex trafficking ring. Police officials later stated they chose not to investigate any possible link to the murders, believing the victims' families had already endured sufficient trauma. If they were sex trafficked or not, Yep.
Speaker 2: Surely the but I don't know how to respond to that. I understand if they're going okay, the parents know that they've met a horrible, untimely death. That's enough trauma for the parents to deal with.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: But it also is like in the name of justice and making sure other people weren't involved, you can't just go We don't want to put the parents through any no anymore, So we just won't investigate this sex trafficking ring that there's lots of quote unquote rumors.
Speaker 1: About there's a lot in this case how the.
Speaker 2: Children involved, Like what there are other victims that that is messed up.
Speaker 1: We'll go into it later, but there's a lot in this case. Were just like what happened there? Like why did they stop at one point, they actually stopped looking for victims because they didn't want the number to go up any higher. Jesus Christ, that's why there's so many. That's why the number we're not sure what the number actually is because it would have been the biggest serial killer in Texas history, and then it would have didn't want it to be Yeah, like what the hell? Early on August fifteen, nineteen seventy three, two days after investigators located the final bodies initially associated with what they called the Houston mass murders, Dallas authorities uncovered a nationwide exploitation network opened by John David Norman. The raid resulted in the seizure of a card index containing as many as ten thousand names lots from across the country, along with detailed records of teenage boys victimized by this operation. No definitive evidence has emerged to show that Dean Core recruited his victims through such an organization. This is partly due to the department's decision not to pursue that line of inquiry, and partly because neither Brooks nor Henley ever reported encountering anyone connected to the alleged group, only Dean Coral. Both also stated they never witnessed victims being photographed, filmed, or released after being restrained. However, the Santa Clara arrests lends some credibility to David Brooks's claims that Dean had told him his earliest victims were buried in California, so now Dean had two boys luring others to him. Alma again trusted Dean like a father. In nineteen seventy two, Alma spotted a teenager and asked if they wanted to get in their van. Before long Dean was back at a new apartment he moved frequently. Alma didn't know at that point the Dean was actually torturing the boys himself. He thought he was sending them off to a sex trafficking ring, but he soon learned very different, and that.
Speaker 2: Was okay with him. Yeah, as long as my friend's not doing it, I'll help supply these victims for someone else.
Speaker 1: That's right now. I'm going to get really graphic here, so warning if you'd like to skip ahead thirty seconds to a minute here. Alma had no idea at this point. The Dean would use plies to rip out the puper cares one by one. Then he would take glass rods and insert them into their urethras before shattering them while inside the victim's penises.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 1: Dean would then keep a small trinket like a house key, which has stated wasn't just a trophy but a way for him to burglarize the victims and further traumatize the families. He would often also take bites of the boys' penises and testicles, sometimes ripping them off. Once Alma found out what Dean was really doing, he didn't stop. He felt protected and close to Dean while there was been there's been a lot of pointing fingers at both Alma and David Brooks for their involvement in this. And when you're a teenager, you certainly know the difference between right and wrong. I would like to make it clear how manipulative Dean was and how he could change his personality to get what he wanted. Now, not only was he a master manipulator, but he also rewarded the boys financially and told them that he would always be there for them. Dean, I find, is not too dissimilar from serial killers Dennis Nilsen and Jeffrey Dahmer.
Speaker 2: I was really thinking of it. Yeah, I've been thinking, like planning to say about Jeffrey Dahmer, why is he? And just talking about American ones as well? Why is he? He's so much more well known informers. I guess there are fewer victims, but yeah, I think the same kind of victims.
Speaker 1: I know. I think he dismembered them, and I think he.
Speaker 2: Just feels to me like this one is so much more awful that people just don't talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the details and everything, and there are so so many details they targeted young, vulnerable boys who were often runaways. So the idea was that no one will go looking for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's exactly what made me think of Darma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Dennis Nelson as well. Frank Kageary was the next victim Alma, and he worked at Long John Silver's together. Alma waited for him after their shift to hang out. Alma led him straight to Dean and once they arrived, Dean would want to play his handcuff game. Dean would put them on someone's wrist and or his wrist and kind of show that he could get out of them, and then he would put them on them and he could have the key. Yeah, And that was basically something that maybe inspired John Wayne Gacy, because John Wyne Gacy did that exact same thing. It's possibly where he got his inspiration. Frank Kageary was engaged to be married to a woman by the name of Ronda Williams. Remember that name. I'm not going to go through all the victims here. I will read their names at the end. But the torture continued and continued, and I have not said the worst of it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: There was a young boy who escaped a boy by the name of Billy Ryaninger Ryaning. I think he was tied to the torture board. David begged Dean to let him go, which he did.
Speaker 2: Why do we know?
Speaker 1: We don't know, We don't know why. But Billy fled the house and they worried that he was going to say something. Alma was furious that they let him go, and Alma knock David Brooks unconscious when he came back to the house. Dean then tortured him.
Speaker 2: Alma David David.
Speaker 1: David thought that he does served it. At this point, Dean now believed that Alma was even more loyal than David. Dean would move quickly from apartment apartment, like I said, apartment to apartments sorry, like I said, that was fun to say, seemingly wororthy was going to get caught each time. He'd stay in a place like for a couple of months and then move again. The trio were now a well oiled machine, and it seemed as though they would stop at nothing. One boy disappeared after the next, and police didn't seem to be investigating them, investigating them as linked. Alma and David went out on October nineteen seventy two, and they came across Wally Simminow and Richard Henry. They started walking towards Richard's house. They were able to point Oh They were able to get him into David's or both of the boys into David's corvette and take them to Dean's apartment. At some point in the night while he was able to call his mother from Dean's apartment, but it cut off very quickly. Only word he was able to get out was Mama. The next day, Alma accidentally shot Richard in the mouth. They were strangled to death and buried in the boat shed. Like the majority of the other victims, Alma had talked to a boy by the name of Timothy Curly into going over to Dean's apartment, but they weren't alone. Ronda Williams was the fiance of Frank A. Geary. She wanted to get away from home that day because her dad was drunk and hurting her. She ended up with Timothy, and when Alba was trying to get Timothy back to Dean's place, Ronda went to Alma had told them that they were just going to a party. When they arrived at his house, Dean was mad because Ronda was there too, and that wasn't part of the plan. It was going to mess up his plans. They started partying anyway. Dean was formulating a plan while the teens were partying. After a little while, the teens fell asleep. Alma woke up to find himself gagged and handcuffed as well, and so too were Tim and Ronda. He had just waited for them to fall asleep so he could bind them all.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think they had just fallen asleep. If he's woken up time and gagged like you'd wake up earlier than that, it feels like there was that's right.
Speaker 1: Sort of sleep. Dean told them that they were all going to diet because they brought Ronda with him with them. Yeah. Alma started pleading to let him go, saying that if Dean let him go, he would help him kill the other two. Dean agreed to that plan. They dragged Ronda and Tim to the bedroom put them on the torture board. Dean handed Alma and knife and said, you're going to cut the clothes off of Ronda. You're going to rape her and then kill her. Meanwhile, Dean was going to do the same to tim Alma asked Dean if he could take Ronda to another room. All of this escalated into Alma getting Dean's gun, pointing it at Dean and saying this is too much for me.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Dean did not think he was serious and urged him to shoot him. Alma shot him in the forehead. But it does not but it did not penetrate his skull. Oh what Dean was still up shooting Dean three times in the back and killing him. Wait, so al Alma killed Dean?
Speaker 2: He did?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: Oh so this motherfucker's never actually had to pay for it. Oh no, no, I'm done with the story canceled.
Speaker 1: They called the police. Alma explained what happened when he woke up, saying that he and the other two were tied up. He explained that he told Dean he would help him if he let him go. Ronda later said that Alma saved her and Timothy's lives, saying he killed the devil. This is a phone call from Alma, who went by the middle name Wayne, to his mother directly after he killed Are.
Speaker 2: You gonna play it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Mama's Wayne.
Speaker 5: Mama, I killed thee Yes, it's I.
Speaker 6: If that were keeps.
Speaker 4: Can I yeah, yes, she can't.
Speaker 5: Now you can't come. I'm worth the police.
Speaker 7: Mama.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's really disturbing.
Speaker 1: That's so disturbing. He did not admit right away to his role. Police found the torture board, which had handcuffed a large dildo and plastic covering the carpet. It was a room just designed for torture. They also found a crate with air holes where he would keep someone confined. Alma told his side of the story, but at some point the police became very skeptical of him. He then admitted to serving as someone that lured people for Dean. I helped him pick them, he said. He then gave the name of David Brooks, saying that he had the same role as him.
Speaker 2: Where was David in all in this?
Speaker 1: So after kind of everything happened with you know, when he was punished for what he did, he ended up moving away, like to be involved in this anymore, moved away, got a girlfriend, was going to be married. Oh yeah, So he moved on and moved further away, and Alma was then the person that Dean was relying on. Over the next few days, Alma spilt everything about his part. He would then lead police to where many of the victims were buried, the rented boat shed. In the boat shed, police recovered the bodies of seventeen boys the Dean had tortured and murdered. Ten more were found at other burial sites, some on the beach, some in the woods, always in the woods. Many believed that there were many, many more victims. This took place over just a couple of years. They would see that some of these boys had instruments inserted into them, like we spoke about before, Some were carstrated, like the torture they discovered just went on and on. I won't go on and explain everything, but these were there were many more horrific acts, and the cruelty is absolutely monstrous. This is also where I mean I was saying before that police just stopped searching at some point as well. And all these unconnected people. So if you do any more reading on Dean Coral, you'll find out there are so many unconnected people that people actually believe were people.
Speaker 2: Just they just couldn't connect like that, they couldn't link them to him directly. That's right, But it seems like it could be.
Speaker 1: Yeah. David Brooks went on trial in Houston before Judge William Hatton on February twenty seventh, nineteen seventy five. Although he had been indicted for four murders committed between nineteen seventy and June nineteen seventy three, prosecutors elected to try him solely for the June nineteen seventy three killing a fifteen year old William Ray Lawrence. Well, they couldn't. They didn't have enough on him to Let's get him on the one that we can actually prove, okay. David Brooks attorney Jim Skelton maintained that his client had not personally committed any murders, instead asserting that Dean Coral and, to a lesser extent, Henley were responsible for carrying out the killings. Assistant District Attorney Tommy Dunn forcefully rejected this argument, telling the jury at one point was he an innocent bystander? This defendant was in on this killing, this murderous rampage, from the very beginning. He tells you he was a cheerleader, if nothing else. That's what he was telling you about his presence. You know he was in on it.
Speaker 2: We've discussed this so many times before on the pod. I remember Fred and Rosemary West is one that we spoke about it because after Fred West died, Rosemary was the one, the only one on trial, and so her defense was, you know, she didn't fell them, you're just wanting to make me culpable because he's not here anymore. And I remember the judge in that actually said it does not matter who pulled the trigger or who you know cast the knife. Yeah, if you are that involved, then you are just as implics and you were just as guilty of murder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thing exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, murder doesn't have to be found guilty or be guilty of murder. Doesn't mean you have to have been the one that's actually no, in died the person's life directly.
Speaker 1: You're in accomplice and you're aware of it. In his forty minute closing arguments, Skeleton stress that the prosecutions are case relied entirely on circumstantial evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't mean they can't be found.
Speaker 1: Guilty No, and argue that the state had demonstrated only that Brooks was an accessory, not a principal offender. He stated the state has proven David Owen Brooks of being an accessory to murder. The state has not established a murder case. They have proved accessory to murder, not murder. Before you convict, you've got to find an act to punish. The trial concluded in under a week. After deliberating for approximately ninety minutes, the DURA returned to a guilty verdict. On March four, nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 2: That's so quick.
Speaker 1: David Brooks was convicted of Lawrence's murder and sentenced to life in prison. He displayed no visible reaction as a sentence was announced, though his wife became visibly distraught, so he was actually married at this point. David Brooks later pealed the conviction, arguing that his sign confessions had been obtained without proper advice of his legal rights. However, the appeal was rejected.
Speaker 2: Yeah late, A bit late to be, claiming.
Speaker 1: That absolutely After the trial, Alma and David were prosecuted separately for their involvement in the murders. Henley's trial began on July one, nineteen seventy four, before a judge Preston Dial in San Antonio. He was charged with six murders committed between March nineteen seventy two and July nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 2: I'm interested to know how and why they chose like the six for him and then the one for David Brooks, Like why there.
Speaker 3: I wonder if he'd be involved in so many more.
Speaker 2: I wonder how and why choose those ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably he transported a few there as well. Maybe they found a little bit more evidence for him. It's hard to know. Yeah, Acting on the advice of his attorneys, Henley chose not to testify. He led counsel. His lead council, sorry William gray Cross, examined several prosecution witnesses, but did not present any witnesses or expert testimony for the defense. The prosecution presented testimony from twenty four witnesses, including Ronda Williams.
Speaker 2: So essentially, you're saying there was like no defense. The defense brought nothing. They just pleaded not guilty.
Speaker 3: It brought no.
Speaker 1: Witnesses anything, and submitted eighty two exhibits into evidence. These included Dean Coral's torture board and one of the storage boxes used to transport victims. Investigators are testified that hair recovered from the box was consistent with that of two of the victims and also Henley. The defense again declined to call any witnesses so weird. Among the prosecution witnesses was Detective David mcmullikem, who read portions of hea Ley's written statements detailing his rule in the crimes. In these statements, Henley described how he had lured two victims called Cobble and Jones, to Dean Coral's Pasadena home. He recounted that both youths were restrained following their arrival and subjected to prolonged abuse. Henley stated that Dean Coral forced the victims to fight each other under the promise that one would be spared. After several hours, Jones was restrained and compelled to witness further abuse inflicted upon Cobble, who was ultimately killed. Jones was later killed as well. Cobble and Jones were murdered on July twenty seven, nineteen seventy three, two days after being reported missing. The testimony describing these events were so distressing that several victims family members left the courtroom to regain their composure. Closing arguments were delivered on the on July fifteenth, nineteen seventy four. The prosecutions sought life imprisonment, while the defense argued for acquittal. In addressing the jury, District Attorney Carol Vans apologized for his inability to seek the death penalty, describing the case as the most extreme example of man's inhumanity to man I've ever seen. After deliberating for ninety two minutes, the jury found Henley guilty on all six counts. Formal sentencing proceedings began the following day, July sixteenth. On August eight, Judge Dial sentenced Henley to six consecutive ninety nine year prison terms totaling five hundred and ninety four years, and Henley was transferred to the Huntsville Unit to begin serving his sentence.
Speaker 2: So how old will he be when he's released?
Speaker 1: Oh, you're the one that's good at maths, Probably about nine hundred and something. That wouldn't be that much for it'd be about what six six six hundred and something years?
Speaker 2: Wow? What will that be?
Speaker 1: We should yeah, Henley, I thank you. Henley appealed both his conviction and sentence, arguing that the judge had not been sequested, that objections to media presence in the courtroom had been denied, and that the court had improperly rejected motions to move the trial from San Antonio. The appeal was successful, and a retrial was granted in December nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Poor victim's family.
Speaker 1: God but the retrial commenced on June eighteen, nineteen seventy nine, in Corpus Christi, with Henley again represented by William Gray, joined by another attorney, Edwin Pigelow. The defense renewed its efforts to suppress Henley's written statements, but Judge Noah Kennedy ruled that August nine, nineteen seventy three statements were admissible on our defense council further argued that the physical evidence introduced by the state belonged to Dean Coral, not Elma Wayne Henley.
Speaker 2: So they finally brought a defense to the table.
Speaker 1: On June twenty seven, nineteen seventy nine, and after more than two hours of deliberation, the jury once again convicted Henley on all six counts. He was sentenced to six ninety nine year prison terms, this time to be served concurrently rather than consecutively.
Speaker 2: Oh so the date's difference son He'll be out in nineteen nine years.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm going to now read the victims. Jeffrey Alan Conan eighteen years old, James Dremahler thirteen, Timothy Lewis Curley twenty one years old, Mark Scott seventeen, Charles Odam fourteen, David Hillard thirteen, Gregory Malley seventeen, Donald Waldrop fifteen, Jerry Joe Waldrop fifteen, Richard Stirviant fourteen, Edward C. Watkins fourteen, Mark W. Tiller sixteen, Fred Sherry seventeen, James Vernon, Draymeller thirteen, Reuben Renee Gaza fifteen, Wallace Eugene Anderson nineteen, Mark Kent Scott seventeen, James Clayton Clay Henley fifteen, Stephen Mark Walldrop fifteen, Joseph Allen Lyles seventeen, Donald Glen wall Dropped fifteen, Billy Rindinger fourteen, Mark Donne seventeen, Gregory gen Malley seventeen, William Ray Lawrence fifteen, James Langham seventeen, Curtis Jones fifteen, Charles Cobble seventeen. Authorities believe at least twenty eight victims were identified, with the possibility of additional unidentified victims in twenty twenty one, police dug up the backyard of a place Dean Coral resided, as they believed he could have buried more than twenty further boys there. What year, sorry in twenty twenty one, Oh my god, what sad that the search was not successful, but they are continuing to search to this day. Dean Coral was killed in August nineteen seventy three before he could be arrested or tried for his crimes. The families of Dean Coral's victims and his accomplices have spoken out extensively over the decades, particularly during parole hearings and in recent documentaries as well. They kind of go into a lot there. Their statements highlight the enduring trauma and their fight for justice. A family member who remains anonymous of one of the victims of Dean Coral spoke out which I'd like to leave you with today. The worst part wasn't even learning how my son died. It was knowing that for years people had information and chose not to act. We lost our child once, but we were forced to relive that loss over and over again because the truth was ignored. Families of Coral's victims repeatedly emphasized institutional failure, silence, and the long lasting harm caused not by the murders themselves, but by the delayed investigations and the lack of accountability afterward. And that g is the story that the candy Man, the Pied Piper, and the monster that was Dean Coral.
Speaker 2: There was absolutely nothing that I liked about the last hour and a half. Nope, So thanks for giving me a week off writing the story. I guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a positive. That's one positive.
Speaker 4: Um.
Speaker 2: And for having me at your house.
Speaker 1: Today, GiB your wine and a mango.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I didn't finish the wine because I started feeling sick about halfway through that. I did finish the manga, but that was before I knew this story. Okay, um, it's about all I have to say. Okay, bye, oh, I just like there's there's nothing there's nothing good about that at all. Like I think that David and Alma, maybe particularly David, in my opinion, were very much groomed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they.
Speaker 2: Were also complicit in all of this. I don't know what the kind of how much one outweighs the other.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I think the sentencing is interesting because it's like, that's kind of in a way because Dean was killed. Yes, you know, I think the victims' families wanted something and that you know, that kind of makes sense. Yeah, in that sense, it's so sad that they were never able to convict Dean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only positive about that is that he was never able to try to argue any defense.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: You know, they never had.
Speaker 2: To sit through him trying to say why he wasn't guilty or you know, what their sons had done wrong in his eyes or anything like that. That's the only silver lining in a very dark cloud of that. I feel so yuck about the whole thing. I feel yuck about David and Alma's involvement, but then like as in yuck towards them about that, but then somewhat yuck for them in how groomed they were and manipulated. And it's just I really hated that.
Speaker 3: Thanks but thanks.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll be back after this with the mailbag.
Speaker 2: Do you what do you think?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I think I think it's so sad, Like you know, I read and watched so much good about it, and it is so so heartbreaking because you know, you see that he was kind of he didn't have a good life, and then you know, all of a sudden it was like, yeah, he's living with his horrible he had, you know, these horrible stepfathers as well, and and then he was just an awful, awful person that was also rejected by his mum. And you look at the whole life and you go, nothing good ever, Like there's nothing. He became a monster. Then he was grooming kids. He had an in with that through the candy shop, and it's just I don't know, there's so much in there that he's going, Oh, it's all.
Speaker 2: It did look like I want to quickly look up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's it's all so so awful and like you said, get some vowels, Get some vowels in your name, some vowels in your name. But yeah, it was just such a such a horrendous and proper use of the word horrendous case to look into.
Speaker 2: There's not many pictures of him. This looks like a very kind of I mean generic man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because there wasn't, Like I mean, it's it's such a such a strange case that I haven't heard of before.
Speaker 2: I've heard of the candyman like he's the killer.
Speaker 1: I've heard The Candy Man, but I haven't heard the Life of Dean Coral before.
Speaker 2: Probably why because it's so awful.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but there's so many cases like that that sadly, you know, people say, oh, it's a run away, it's a run away, and I think that was the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely awful. Okay, I've decided next week I'm going to do one that's more out of the box. I mean, we always do crimes, so they're always awful, but I'm gonna do something a bit more, I don't know, maybe less depressing, just for a little change. I love you and I appreciate you, and I'm being very mean and not thanking you for that story. Thank you for that story, Sammy Peterson. I just I feel really lucky.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll be back after the after this little break and then a mailbag. Feel better than everybody. Thank you for listening to this week's episode. We know it's a very very heavy one. There's a lot of details. There are a lot of groupsome details. I appreciate you sticking with us.
Speaker 2: I do just want to quickly give you a Chicken Joe update. The update we have so we recorded the episode and nowhere we took a little break to cleanse our souls of that story. And I did a very quick search for Chicken Joe, as I said that I would very quick search has only resulted in pictures of a chicken character from the animated film surfs Up yep. And I then narrowed my search to Chicken Joe sex trafficking yep, and that the Surf's up chicken still just came up. So there's something very funny about that. It's also not funny. So that's the update we have for you this week. I will do some more in depth research to find out more about the Chicken Joe from Yeah, but it's quite funny to me that that.
Speaker 1: I'm also just making sure that his name was Chicken Jong. He might not have been Chicken because Chicken Joe like that. That's very funny to have that many beautiful photos of animated.
Speaker 2: Chickens like photos and someone's taken. Also, a mutual friend of ours has that chicken as his Instagram profile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really I'm really surprised about all of That's okay, so Chicken jo I don't know when Chicken Joe came into the picture. But it is such a such an interesting name.
Speaker 2: We're going to do some more research on this.
Speaker 1: We have to. We can't just leave it there.
Speaker 3: From Chicken Joe, Chicken Joe, Dean Coral.
Speaker 1: Let me write that, Chicken Joe Dean Corey. You're writing that down, sure, jam not.
Speaker 2: Writing it down in like a notebook.
Speaker 1: With a quill. Maybe you're a lot older than you are with a quill.
Speaker 2: I have a quill, do you, yes? Because I got it from the merch store at when I went and saw Hamilton on Broadway.
Speaker 1: You know what, that's pretty fun cool right now? All right, I'm going to stop doing this because.
Speaker 2: I can't find it quickly. I got to tell you about Chicken Jo another.
Speaker 1: Time about Chicken Joe real quickly. But hey, you know what this section is all about. The male bag, male bag, male bag, male balk, the chickens chicken chicken thing.
Speaker 3: This one comes of bird noises.
Speaker 1: This episode's really good.
Speaker 2: Because and then give me one more bird to round it out three for three, give me bird or make a noise?
Speaker 1: Big cock ah, that was good as well, comes big cock makes that sound. This one comes from Sandra Hi, Sammy and Georgia. Absolutely love your podcast. You both have such kindness and empathy when talking about some of the most horrific crimes, but more importantly, you both always find the joy where possible. On Sammy's recommendation, I've just finished listening to the Wise Crap podcast Unbelieved. Thanks for the recommendation and please keep bringing us your fabulous podcast, Sandy, New South Wales.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks Sandy. Yeah, a podcast shout out. I believe I've mentioned this before, but it was when I was still listening to it. Unicorn Girl. Oh yes, unicorn So it is by the same crew who did Scamander.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've had one of where.
Speaker 2: Jackson McLennan was. We had his guest on First Treat. They've got a new one out called Unicorn Girl, and I think it is even more like I think what they investigate is even more damning than Scamander. So yeah, I recommend it.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating. Yeah, and we've got this one from Beck. Okay, So confession, I was listening to the Andrew Fraser case in the car today. Yes, I acknowledge that g had literally told us as listeners not to allow this with children in the car. Oh yeah, but my son's name is Fraser and he was getting such a kick out of hearing his name. All was fine and cute until g dropped the F bomb sweetly from the back seat. Mummy, what does fuck mean?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my god, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Then she writes, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, back, I'm so sorry. Also when I've like don't like keeps listening the car we talk about discussing crimes. I didn't realize I would be the one that would be corrupted the crime.
Speaker 1: You are the crimes. We have got a speak part today, Geet love that comes from Jenna.
Speaker 6: Hi, Sammy Hydrogel Love. I'm Jenna, and I'm so happy I find your guys' podcast as I just adore you to so much and I can't find myself listening to any other crime podcast now, and I'm so sad that I'm finally caught up because now I can't binge listen to you to when I'm working. But because I'm also caught up, I felt like it was only right to finally send you to a speak pipe and wanting to for a while, but just always end up wanting to reset it because I don't like how it comes out. I love your guys is for babies so much, but I want to know what party looks like. I love cats so much and I hear Podrey peaves and it's just like I want to see Poudrey. Speaking of Podrey peeves, my pottery peeve is those things in the middle of the aisles at grocery stores. Since I work up one, it's always in my way, constantly smacking myself, hurting myself when I'm already cutting myself on boxes. Those things are freaking sharp for cardboard.
Speaker 3: It sucks.
Speaker 6: They annoying me so much. Also, I would love to learn more about Australia, as I actually really want to move to Australia because I hate it here. The United States might as well be a freaking crime at this point. I would love to learn more and more of your sayings because I say Melbourne and my Australian friend makes fun of me every time I try to say something that is pronounced differently in Australia.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I love you too.
Speaker 2: I love you so much. First of all, love your Powda things like that as well. Second, or thank you so much for asking about Paudry. This is the thing right we recorded Sammy's house, so Diggs is always here. Now, Diggs is big main character energy, So Dix gets a lot of airtime on this podcast while we discuss Poudrey, or we say Poudrey's name every week because we do Powdery Pease, she doesn't get enough airtime on this podcast for how beautiful and in our lives she is. I'm bringing you into this as well. So Jenna Poudrey is a ragged or cat, so she is really fluffy. She's mostly white with a gray gray tail and brown face and ears, and she's actually the most beautiful thing that has ever watch. She has blue eyes. And my friend said to me the other day when we took a selfie. My friend looked at the picture and said, oh my god, you look like Powdery in this picture. And that was the nicest thing anyone who'd ever said to you. So if that gives you a good snippet of what Poordy looks like, and I'll post a photo.
Speaker 1: He put a photo yeah, on the Instagram because Poudrey is so beautiful. And actually we had some friends over for do you know last night who actually just wanted to meet Paudrey.
Speaker 2: We were going to go out for dinner with them, and then I said, every time we see them, they keep asking if they can meet Poudrey, so I think I need to invite them to my house. And she was a full blown celebrity. Either of us would be in the middle of a story and both of our friends were just we could tell they weren't listening, and they were like tapping each other and pointing at Pouelry because she was doing something just benign, and they.
Speaker 1: Were like, look at her, look at her, She's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Celebrity, Jenna, I love you. So Melbourne, you've got to say Melbourne?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Why isn't Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Because we pronounced things incorrectly how they spelt. Although I mean I say Melbourne.
Speaker 1: It sounds better, it sounds more like that. It looks like it should be that.
Speaker 2: However, our language comes from England and they don't pronounce that like born. But yeah, Melbourne will get you sounding real local.
Speaker 1: If Melbourn.
Speaker 2: We've taught you in this episode all about lollies versus sweets or candies. Struth, Oh truth good, there's a good australianism for you. So that's like, maybe I should start saying that instead of the f bowl in the car again, struth like that that's rat.
Speaker 1: That's another rat. Rat.
Speaker 2: That's another way of got like. Instead of to the.
Speaker 1: Bomb, you can say rat struth. You can say, oh, this is a good one. You can say I'm not here to fuck spiders. Yes, so instead of if you're here.
Speaker 2: To mess around, I want to get to the point I want.
Speaker 1: To just I'll go, I go. Would you like a drink? Jenna? And you come to a bar and you go, not spiders. That's a great one. That's that's a great one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's good. Hey Jenna, I love you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love you so much.
Speaker 2: Please let us know. Yeah, America doesn't seem like the best place for no, but I want to get myself. It's actually this is a very difficult place to be in someone who is perennially online, also who perennially travels to New York City and wants to again and again, and who disagrees wholeheartedly with almost everything that Trump administration is doing. Right now, they've just said that they're going to start checking the a social media history of anyone who travels to America to see if they've been well, they haven't explicitly said to see if they've been anti Trump. But I am really desperate to post about how angry I am about things like the renaming of the Kennedy Center, the redaction of the Epstein past, and I'm really battling with myself and how to do that and also maybe be able to go back to New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, at some point. Yeah, we've got the next big pipe that comes from Vanessa. You're ready for this?
Speaker 7: Yes, Hi, Sammy and High Choice. I just wanted to drop you guys a quick speak parte and say that I absolutely love the podcast. I also thought you guys were just making up the names speak Pite because you wanted to be a bit more quirky than just saying voice Noe, but have since discovered that's.
Speaker 3: What they were actually called.
Speaker 7: I do have a request. I have just finished watching Until I Kill You, which is based on the story of Delia Obama, and I just think it would be such a fun and interesting one not really fun that seems a very poor choice of words, but a great one for you guys to do in the podcast, and I'm definitely desperate to know more about it. Thoroughly enjoying what you guys are doing and keep them coming.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, thank you, Vanessa, Dearie Obama. I've literally just written it down in my list right now. I was going to give you a little we love suggestions. Yeah, it's going to give you a little a little synopsis of what it is. But no, you guys can walk down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you Vanessa. We love that and I'm so glad you love the podcast. We always absolutely love hearing from people that love the goddamn podcast. We have one more speak pipe for today that comes from anonymous. Oh okay, you ready for this.
Speaker 2: It's going to be some we know, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Hello, my beautiful Georgie and Sammy yesterday got here today. I hope I have your favorite, Scott. I've been listening to your podcast and I love it so much so that in December I exclusively am in exclusively only listen to Christmas music, and I have allowed your podcast presence in my car turn from work during this period, which you should feel very privileged. I listened to your friend and Rosemary west one the other week and I forgot the message at the time, but you were singing Donald Wear's your truisers. Yes, I thought I would give you a little bit more of a rendition of that, and here we go. It goes, let the wind blow high, let the wind low low through the streets, and oh the lassie say hello Donald version Bruisers.
Speaker 2: That is the full rendition of it.
Speaker 4: And it will help you with your Scottish accent. And if you would like some Scottish words, my favorite Scottish word is rich and if we put it into the pod, it would say it was a driech night in the woods when we found the body. So I will leave you with the word rich and see if you can guess what it actually means, and if you get it right or not, and I will let you know anyway.
Speaker 2: Love you, guys, You're the best. Shade.
Speaker 1: I love you so.
Speaker 2: Snade is one of the great loves of my life. Yes, she's I met Shade when I lived in Lawncestern. Don't if you can tell by her accent. She's not originally from there either, but we were in a production of Greece together and we met.
Speaker 1: Her voice is amazing, she's just she's yes, she's so good. So I think leaked.
Speaker 2: It was a very good leaked. Gonna I'm gonna work on that I think it means like dark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, dreary maybe dreary.
Speaker 1: It's good. I love that. Let us know if we're right or not. Probably not.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna learn the whole thing again for all of you. Hey, Jenna, you've got Australian and episode and not a lesson about chicken Joe.
Speaker 1: We will bring that or whatever chickens person was.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna do our Even before we do it, I'm gonna say, Sammy, I feel in much better mood now than when. So I do want to say thank you because you did a lot of work in in pretty sorry if I made you feel like I didn't appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: My poor peve, do you want to tell your okay, my poor peeve. This week is when people vocalize they're coughs or sneezes, But today I want to speak specifically about coffee. So like a cough sounds like this, right, yep, So you don't use your vocal cords for that, huh. But some people use, like engage their vocal cords while coffee, so they.
Speaker 1: Go like this, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: So this has always been a poor rey peeve of mine. It has become more a There needs to be a term for something stronger than a poor repeeve, like a actual rage.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There is an old man that lives across the hall from me in my apartment building.
Speaker 1: He's a loud coffer.
Speaker 2: No, no, not a loud coffer, Sammy, he's a vocal coffer.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: He leaves his windows open, so if I've got my windows or like the door tomain balcony open, the sound travels really directly. And I was saying, he's an old man. That makes it sound like, oh, he might be unwell. I mean, he may be unwell, but he's not like sickly at.
Speaker 1: All VOCALI he coughs like this. Yeah, I know this cough.
Speaker 2: And he does it every single day, and it always starts around the same time in the evening and goes for about maybe forty five minutes of that cough every couple of minutes, and it is driving me fucking bonkers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I really.
Speaker 2: Tempted to leave it like a passive aggressive note under the door, just being like, please cough normally if you need to cough or get your lungs checked out. It is driving me insane.
Speaker 1: I just need to get his lungs checked out, because that is that that is a hearty cough he's got there. I would say my poetry peat today is goddamn shopping trolleys everywhere.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: There are so many people take shopping trolleys with them from the supermarket to like around here where I live. There are so many shopping trolleys that are just like dumped everywhere. Really, yes, it's just so many shopping trolleys, like because they did in Australia anyway, they did, like the thing where you put money in it to release it, to release it, but some of them don't. So it's just all these shopping trolleys and like turned upside down, and I reckon people have big nights and they're like, oh, I take shopping have you never done that. I've never done that, You've.
Speaker 2: Never got drug with your friends. I put one of them in a shopping trolley and push them out on the street.
Speaker 1: But my pod, people that just leave shopping trolleys like upturned and everything, just like after a big night out for them to be fair.
Speaker 2: I only did that like many years ago, when I was a young, silly.
Speaker 1: Fool, young silly fool. They're an old silly fool.
Speaker 2: Oh oh my kind of fun to do.
Speaker 1: Oliver Clark as always doing the theme song. Thank you to Tams and Hayes for doing the artwork right into us. We would bloody love to hear from you, Samya junother company dot com dot au. Leave us a voicemail or confusingly, a speak post, which.
Speaker 2: Is what the website is.
Speaker 6: Cool.
Speaker 2: I also love that she thought that we were trying to be more quirky. We don't need to be more quirky where we are.
Speaker 1: So much fun. So you can leave us all of those the links are below, or just the information and.
Speaker 2: Leave us a five star ratio and five stars and instagram at another crime podcast and send us all your love and YouTube would and send us to your YouTube.
Speaker 1: You send us to your YouTube. Yeah alright, everybody, Sorry about such a heavy, heavy story this week, but we'll see you on Thursday and we can't bloody way, oh my god. Good by money