Speaker 1: Laura and come on here we are. The pickup is on thanks to Chemists Warehouse heading today, great savings every day.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is so funny, Laura. I haven't told you this yet. Mitch and I went to dinner on the weekend and it was Friday night and we walked in the restaurant.
Speaker 1: And you know what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: We walked in the restaurant and this guy, probably between thirty five forty five, like a bit older. He stops us and he goes, jumps out in front of us and he goes, oh my god. And Mitch and I were like, oh, this is cutie, recognizes us and he's a fan of the podcast or the radio show. Because I love you guys. It's so nice to see you Mitch and Laura. And I was like, oh my god, he things I Laura and I went to say something. He goes, I absolutely love He doubled down. And then I was like, I can't embarrass him in tell him that I'm Britney.
Speaker 3: How hard did you lean into the lie? Were you like, oh yeah, god, baby, sit o, the kids are at home.
Speaker 1: He took us to our table and went, so you're out with you're out without Maddie tonight.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 2: And I was like and I was like, yeah, I left him at home with the kids, like I wanted a night off. I leant in so hard and now I am you.
Speaker 3: In his defense, radio and also podcasting are both audio mediums, he doesn't need to know what we look like.
Speaker 1: I was Laura and you weremitged. That would be even worse.
Speaker 4: He thought you were brick.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: Imagine if it was like, hey, Laura and Bridge, you know what, we have a very big show today.
Speaker 4: There's something I wanted to talk about.
Speaker 3: You might have heard about Umi Stein's and her very controversial sex education book that's come out everywhere. Has been some developments in that story. Someone has been arrested and it's not what you think.
Speaker 1: My god, all right, that's coming up here at the pickup around the country. I will say, by the way, if you're after those Taylor Swift tickets, her Era As World tour is coming to Australia. So what we've done here at the pickup, got a row of seats for you and all your friends.
Speaker 4: Entire ro don't go half hog do we now row.
Speaker 1: Your chance and a four row of tickets to Taylor's Era as the World Tour coming up here at the Pickup for your Tuesday. It is the pick Up Tuesday Afternoon with Britt, Laura and Mitch rushing to chemist Warehouse today for half price off the Biogland Vitamins range. It excludes box sizes. Chemist Warehouse got great savings for you every single day.
Speaker 3: You guys might have heard about the controversy that was surrounding Umi Stein's new book that she released. Now. She used to be a host on The Pickup and she created this book called Welcome to Sex.
Speaker 4: It's an education piece.
Speaker 3: It's meant to be like a a very no fuss and kind of all explaining guide, not even guide, but just a sex help book for teenagers and early teens.
Speaker 4: It has copped.
Speaker 3: Some pretty horrific reviews in terms of some people have thought that it kind of is too expuna and maybe shares too much and exposes to children too early to things that they're just not ready to learn about.
Speaker 1: What's it showing. It's showing different sex acts, how you can perform sex.
Speaker 4: It's a lot.
Speaker 3: It's the whole spectrum of what sex could entail, of self exploration, and this is for children who I guess when we were growing up there wasn't really any guide. You learned so much about sexual education. Yeah, but also in the playground, like friends from people saying things and you'd be like, oh, that's gross. It's meant to be an educational guide for children who have a lot of questions around what is sex. But the thing I wanted to talk to you guys about is what happened over the weekend. So you me shared a series of posts and these were private dms that she has been receiving, everything from racial slurs to death threats to people telling her that she should go kill herself.
Speaker 2: I was shook to the call when I was seen.
Speaker 1: Made me sick.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely revolting. You can't even read them out at this time. Slow on radio get canceled.
Speaker 2: A lot of things had nothing to do with the book itself. A lot of racial slurs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I would say that the majority of these messages that were coming through. If anyone wants to check it out, you can jump onto Yumi's Instagram page because she's created a really amazing post around accountability. How you can't just anonymously troll people and get away with it. These days, so many of these threats were coming from people's actual accounts, from their business accounts. Now Yumi posted screenshots and off the back of that, a twenty three year old was actually arrested for chargers using a carriage service to menace, harass, offend. It's crazy to me, and I think this is a real lesson in terms of accountability, that you can't do things on a digital platform and get away with it anymore. But there's real world accountability for it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: It'll be taken to the courts and there will be some sort of you know, accountability, criminal justice that'll be given to him. But the thing that I think is so crazy about this, this is a twenty three year old guy. He doesn't even have kids. He's not worried about the safety or protecting the children. He's just jumped on the bandwagon after seeing a few awful things. And I think so much of this conversation was actually really racially driven, which is what's really awful.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, I was clicking on a lot of their profiles to see who they are.
Speaker 1: I was gobsmacked.
Speaker 2: If you went on their profile and just looked, you'd be like, oh, these looked like just nice, normal people, and then when you read what they wrote. I was like, if I found out my partner had ever written that, I would be so quick out that door.
Speaker 3: But it's because they think that it's they think it's private, they think they're sending that to her and that no one's ever going to see it. I shared it on my Instagram and the number of people I had message to me and say, oh my god, I know that guy. Oh my god, I went to.
Speaker 4: School with that. And I was like, this is what it is. And I loved the.
Speaker 3: Part like you me sort of signed off her Instagram post with welcome to accountability, shit bags, And I just think so many people do things and think that they can be anonymous online and this just goes to show that there are real life consequences for the things that you do on Instagram, for the things that you write, and for the things that you say about people.
Speaker 1: I get messages all the time telling me to do some awful things. They hear me on the radio and they go thought you were a chicks or photos of you you got man tits because I'm overweight. And I get that all the time. We're a public we're in the public eye. Like, you get it, britt you get it, Laura, And it's because it's hard and it's such a nuanced discussion.
Speaker 3: Do you ever feel though, compelled to out those people who say those things because they do it from their own accounts, it's their own words, And so do you ever feel like one day you're just going to be like, you know what here you deal with the consequences of the things you say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm also scared. I mean, these people are aggressive. The messages that I have in my DMS are scary. Some of the stuff that I've been threatened with, it's terrifying.
Speaker 2: And purely it's because you're gay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, purely because I'm gay and I've got great hair, and I think sometimes definitely, if I were to pose something like this, I don't want to put myself at arm I've got my family on my social media. It's just it's a tricky situation to be in. It really is. You'd be the same Britin You get messages, yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because the response that she is getting does not fit the crime and does not fit writing a book on sex education. I'm not a marginalized group, and I get some horrific things written to me as well. I've never thought of calling them out because I don't feel like I can deal with the repercussions of calling them out, because it's not that you call it out and it's over. It usually keeps going. There's backlash, there's people on the fence of if you should have done it, but not as a non marginalized person, I get horrific things. I've had some really dark thoughts off the back of what some people have said to me.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess it just goes to show as well that so many people do receive such horrible messages and very rarely is it posted, and very rarely is there this level of accountability.
Speaker 1: If you're going through anything like this, So you want to chat to someone, Lifeline is always there thirteen eleven fourteen, So stop being a twat.
Speaker 2: Good message, thank you, welcome to accountability. Stopp being a twat. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Britt all right. Next on the show, Married at First Sight is changing the world? Massive breakthrough at Maps for the next season.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Map's famously known for its societal change.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, but there are big changes coming and then there's Maths to.
Speaker 1: Very different ends of the spectrum, and that's next on the pickup. It is the pickup around Australia Tuesday afternoon with Britain. Laura and Mitch head into Chemists Warehouse today, great savings every day. Married at First Site it's a staple in this country, like sausage sizzles and Scumo shitting himself. I don't think that's a staple.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we we're pretty maths hungry, aren't we. But not, to be honest, not me.
Speaker 1: Oh no, Well, Married at First Sight is so big. It's an Australian institution. We came up with the concept. They sell it over the overseas UK loves, don't they. Yeah. And although we've just wrapped up the twenty twenty three season that was earlier in the year, the rumor mill is swirling about a potential casting on the next season that they're already filming. It got me excited because for the first time in maths history, apparently we're getting a gay couple, two gay boys.
Speaker 4: Oh it's about time.
Speaker 2: We had no in twenty I think it was twenty twenty they had a lesbian couple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, I won't get back. No, lesbians are great.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I feel like, like lesbians, it's more socially palatable. People like, oh, girls kissing, we like that totally. But then having two men on TV. I think that that's a little bit more controversial.
Speaker 1: I guess on, Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, think about it when you're young and you're in your twenties, like you know, girls like, oh those girls they made out, whereas like it's very unusual to have two friends that are guys who are kissing.
Speaker 1: The male audience totally okay with watching two women kiss because they can record it on their foxtail and watch your bag line, that's what I mean, but men can't watch it. And now vomit. Yeah, how have we not thought about this? We have? I'm gay, this is my life. This is called gay.
Speaker 2: After what I'm about to say, your newly single why don't we get you on the show?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 1: Yes, this is not why I bring this up. I'm not going on.
Speaker 4: Yes, No, that makes so much sense.
Speaker 3: And I have your tagline it's Mitch for maths. That's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Bitch for Maps twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Because you know what if they haven't already cast the gay couple, you would be perfect.
Speaker 4: Oh I don't want to go on ma oh your single? What more could you need?
Speaker 2: Look at Mitch's face is like not in yes, he's like no year on.
Speaker 1: The side, I do look like lesbian. So perhaps audience is that a m I touch myself or not?
Speaker 4: Would you do this, Mitch?
Speaker 2: Would you if we could start a petition, because we've got some ins with the mass producers, if we could get you on the show, would you do it?
Speaker 4: Do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Can we get one of the scientists, they're the math scientists that they talk to.
Speaker 4: You want to their therapist, the specialist.
Speaker 2: Do you want to speak to one and see if they can quiz you and put you on?
Speaker 1: Maybe you see if I could work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna I've actually got their number because I get therapy through them, so I will call them.
Speaker 4: Give us a little bit. What would you pitch be if you're going to go on maths? Oh, tell yourself.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm theatrically trained in theaters, so I'd look down the barrel of the camera and I'd say, Hi, I'm Mitch. I'm twenty seven. I am a radio presenter, from Sydney, Australia, and I'm known for my lovable attitude and my great hair.
Speaker 4: Look at Mitch flirting with the camera.
Speaker 2: You will like literally making eyes at exactly.
Speaker 3: And what are you looking for in a partner? This is also your audition. We're sending this in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone that someone that won't do me dirty and will love me, and someone that loves my family as much as I love them, and someone who can keep up with me.
Speaker 2: Okay, last what do you think you can bring to a relationship? Why should they choose you? Besides world peace.
Speaker 1: Wealth, money, sugar daddy, that is not Start with love, love and laughter. That's nice laughter, you know because somebody in the gay world not much laughter, a lot of skin and bone and Twiggy. I can bring love and great cuddles. Oh my god, this.
Speaker 4: Is gonna make a great TV. And then everyone's gonna be laughing and everyone's gonna be cuddling.
Speaker 1: Totally, your best friend you can have sex with.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's not a friends with benefits or not not us because they're female, but also marry.
Speaker 1: I don't know, we'll pull not at out.
Speaker 3: All right, Look, I mean who knows. Maybe wh you're in next year, met you'll be on the screens.
Speaker 1: We'll find out TVC. All right, we're back after this on the Pickup. It's Tuesday with Britt, Laura and Mitch. Welcome to the Pickup thanks to chemist Warehouse heading today for half price off the Biogland vitamins range excluding box sizes Chemist Warehouse. Great savings every day.
Speaker 2: Very very important, serious question for you two. Okay, can you order a kid's menu when you're out, like a kid's meal when you're not a kid?
Speaker 1: This is journal?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean if you have kids.
Speaker 2: No, No, you're hypothetically speaking. You're a thirty six year old radio host. You've ordered, You've gone out to a pub. You're not that hungry. You're with thirteen other people that have ordered meals and drinks. You're not that hungry. So you like, I just want a small, bite sized meal. I'm going to order something off the kids meal and they say, no, you can't order that because you're not a child. What do you think you.
Speaker 1: Should be able to but they don't let you because I've tried many times.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it make you assess your life when you're like, I'm a thirty six year old woman on arm trying to order chicken yummy drummies for dinner.
Speaker 2: Okay, this might surprise you also, but this story is about me. I am the thirty six year old radio host.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went out with a for a friend's birthday last week on the weekend. It was a thirtieth and there were so many of us at this pub. And you know, pub meals are huge, huge snitzls, huge steaks, chips, salad's like humongous meals. And I wasn't that hungry. I just wanted a tiny, little bite sized snack. So I tried to order the kid's chicken snitzle, which is, you know, obviously the size of your fist. And the lady said to me, she was an Irish woman, and she said, you cannot order that and I said why not. She said, well, do you have a child and I said no, not here. She said are you with a child and I said no. She said, you can't order it. I said, but it's just for me. I'm just not that hungry, and she said, we'll order something from the sides menu. The sides will let a bowl of Brussels sprout dude, broccoli beans like bollet chip carrots, bowl of chips. Yeah, sure, fine. I didn't want a bowl of chips. I wanted some protein. I wanted the small ldren's meal. And I said to her, look, it's just for me because I'm not hungry and I don't want a bowl of beans from the sides. And she said, I can't. I cannot sell you that. And I said, so you're telling me you would rather lose it, not sell the meal and lose the money, then sell me a kid's chicken snisel and she said correct.
Speaker 4: And she's like, yes, I can live without your eleven dollars. Thank you.
Speaker 2: It's fourteen dollars. And I, out of spite, didn't order anything like that.
Speaker 1: So seriously, they almost id you, like, if you want these chicken Dino sausage nuggets, I'm gonna have to see your id. Please. Now you're over the age of twelve months.
Speaker 2: I cannot be on my own that I think that this is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's that bad. And hear me out.
Speaker 3: The reason why I think that pubs and restaurants do it is because they don't make any money off the kid's meals.
Speaker 4: So the only reason why they sell.
Speaker 3: The kids meals is because there's usually an adult buying an adult meal alongside it.
Speaker 2: No, it's not true. They do make money. It's half the price because it's half the food and they've still got a mark up. They're still making money off the product. They don't just give kids free food.
Speaker 3: Same amount of effort though for a very small little like for two bucks to make it.
Speaker 1: Now, I'd be like, why don't you just do what I do when I park in the mums and bubbs parking. I just I said, it's run off again. I sort of like, pretend my child's run off. Just do that. Just go, oh, they're in the crash love, gim me the nuggies. The kids are just in the playpen.
Speaker 3: No, no, because okay, maybe she recognized you. Maybe she was like, oh I know who this woman is.
Speaker 2: She doesn't have me.
Speaker 1: I've heard about the journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if she yeah, actually, do you know what?
Speaker 4: I had fifteen eggs on eyes.
Speaker 2: I have kids, but they couldn't make it because they're in the freezer.
Speaker 1: You go, you, I've got kids, here's a photo of them, and just show them an egg in a freezer. The debate continues. I'd be interested to know your thoughts dm s at the pickup on Instagram. I'd like to know where everyone's I want.
Speaker 3: To know if you work in hospitality and there's a reason why, tell us the real reasons.
Speaker 1: Have you missed any of the show? You can podcast it. I'm on iHeartRadio. Earlier in the show we were talking about all that Umi Stein's children book drama, So you can catch up on mat iHeart search the pickup. We're back tomorrow. Don't forget when cold and flu strikes. Demson gets it done. Always follow the directions for you. So I believe the boys are standing by, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Will and Woodre. They're going to be driving you guys home. What do you got for us today? Boys?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So a seventy three year old woman from Charlaville, eight hours inland from Brisbane who owns a bait and tackle shop with a naughty corner rood dude. One of the best, funniest, most outrageous people we've ever had on the show is going to the logis with you this weekend.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and today we're going to get it a call for host Sampang.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a wild chat.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a good show. Guys all right, see everyone you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Bye.