Speaker 1: Welcome to How I've Work, a show about the technics used by the world's most successful people to get so much out of their day. I'm your host, doctor Amantha Imba. I'm an organizational psychologist, the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium, and I'm obsessed with finding ways to optimize my work date. This episode is another my favorite tip episode. The titles probably pretty self explanatory. It's about my favorite tip from each of the interviews that I conduct. So my guest today is Fred Shavester. Fred is an award winning business leader best known for co founding one of the world's leading comparison websites, Finder dot com. Find a dot com compares virtually everything from cryptocurrency exchanges and wallets, credit cards, and insurance, to savings, travel, technology, and electronics. Finder dot com attracts over eight to ten million visitors per month and now of rates in over eighty countries now. In this chat with Fred, one of my favorite tips was around how he goes around identifying top talent in the recruitment process. Sorry, let's head on to Fred to hear about some of his very practical strategies for finding the best people. When he is recruiting for finder dot com. I want to squitch gears because I imagine you probably spend time interviewing I imagine thousands of different candidates to work at FindOut, and I'm wondering, like, from all that experience, do you now have particular go to questions or specific methods that you've found to be effective to learn as much as possible about people in a short space of time. Oh yeah, tell me what they are.
Speaker 2: So one of them is I don't give the address of the interview, Like, so if you can't use Google and figure out where we are, then I'm not sure you're supposed to be joining an internet company. And it says so much right, it's are you proactive? You know, detailed those kind of things. Another question I ask is do you love to win or hate to lose? And the answer for me is it has to be one or the other. Either you love to win or you hate to lose. That's very specific. You're to be binary. You can't be like, oh, sometimes I don't mind, you know if we lose a little bit, or you know it's going to be a fun fight, or I'm like nah, wrong person. You can go and join the living team and then hand that win to me every single day of the week.
Speaker 1: What's that about for you? That answer? Like, is it just someone that is sure of themselves, sure of their opinions? What does that say to you?
Speaker 2: They're competitive, they want to win, they want to be great, and if they don't, then you know, I'm not sure that I'll work terribly well with that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there'll be kind of a values misalignment.
Speaker 2: I guess correct.
Speaker 1: What else? What else are you doing? In recruitment, we.
Speaker 2: Always give them a test. I want to see some actual work. I sometimes I just give people a laptop and say, show me your work on the Internet, and I want to see them actually use their computer. You know. If they're like two finger typing, I'm like nah, you know, or they're like struggling to use the computer and the way they use it them like, ah, man, this is an internet company. You know you don't understand the Internet? Then well I'm not sure. Sometimes I do want people who are like that, but they can balance me out where you for certain roles. You don't want them to be too technical. You want them to actually think from a different perspective, and I think that's good as well, but in the most general sense. You know, if you've got a hotmail address and you're coming to an interview with me, nah, like two thousand and two is finished now, Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's some fun strategies any other go to questions that you're asking in the job interview itself.
Speaker 2: You know, I asked a lot of people like, so, you know, what's your superpower? I love to know if you're self aware, if you're committed to, you know, refining yourself to work out what is your best genius self? You know, I'd love to hear people. I also love it. What's the hardest job you've done? You know, if you if your hardest job was well, I used to work eight hours at the cinema and I used to collect the stubs so that people could go in. And it was long and now and it was boring and lah lah, I'm like, okay, Whereas my guys said, well, during the day, I used to work at a call center and sell you know, electricity prians, and then I'd go to university for two hours. Then I'd leave, go and deal cards at the casino, come home at one o'clock and do it all again. For seven days a week. And I did that for three years, and I'm like, I want to work with you because I have that same work ethic. You know, That's what I have. So I'm going to work with people who work hard.
Speaker 1: That is it for today's show. If you know someone who could benefit from this tip, maybe someone that does a lot of recruiting, why not share this episode with them. And if you'd like to listen to my full chat with Fred, you can find a link to that in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So that is it for
Speaker 1: Today's show and I will see you next time.