Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. My friends, today is Friday, which means it is time to get the team back together to celebrate you ow incredible. She's on the Money community Today, Miss Jess Gricci is going to be sharing our favorite money wins. Miss Becksayed is going to be sharing her best brogue tips with us. We're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about the best way to manage cash flow between multiple bank accounts, and we're going to be unpacking something you slid into our DMS about which this week is managing rent after a breakup. So let's get straight into it. But first things first, my friends, how.
Speaker 2: Were your weeks?
Speaker 5: Mine was really nice. It's been really busy but good.
Speaker 2: That's a good thing. Is that a good thing? Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm always I don't have time to figure out if I'm not happy because I'm too busy busy, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Life, I'm fool that you don't have time to think about your emotions. It's actually tried and true strategy and true push.
Speaker 2: We don't need those emotions.
Speaker 4: We need is it breakdown and you'll get one if you keep doing that.
Speaker 2: It's a very good idea. You come organically.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nice, nice, All right, Well, miss Jessica Ricci was your week just as good?
Speaker 6: It was thrilling. We had some sun in Melbourne? We love? What's that all about it?
Speaker 2: Where did that come from?
Speaker 6: I don't know? But it can stay. I'd be very happy.
Speaker 2: If I'm not proud, we're just confused.
Speaker 6: Not mad at all. Our go to skin care code came.
Speaker 2: Back, which is a ten out of ten.
Speaker 4: I am genuinely so excited about this because obviously go to skincare don't give out their codes that freely, like they're hard to get. But because our community asked so many times, they were like, yeah, okay, here it is.
Speaker 6: Everyone can thank Anne, who was the first person to comment on our posts this week when we put up a little posty post with go to which we're obsessed dying the fact that they are paying us money.
Speaker 2: I actually I.
Speaker 4: Can't believe that. Like I've made it. I've made it. I went in there one time. I can die happy.
Speaker 6: Me too. So she coment on the post and said, oh, guys, like is the code?
Speaker 2: When's the code?
Speaker 6: We if you remember last time, we only got it for one week. That was it. They're like one week, that's all you get. We were like, okay, no problems, are you a little bit? I worked it. It was good me too. And then Am commented and I put it on the stories. I was a little bit cheeky and I said, hey, God, use your audience. You want the code, go comment and then I scream shot it.
Speaker 4: I said it's straight to go to, Like, Hi, we really need this. It would make our community really happy.
Speaker 6: So one more week only, I feel like, what's the code? Won't get it again? So fifteen fifteen percent off across the site. Incredible. We'll put all the details in the description in case I've gotten something.
Speaker 4: Have you ever thought that maybe go to a reverse engineering this and they just got a really good advertising segment on our podcast. We haven't really thought about this, you know what I meant too deeply?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, let's go too deeply. Let's get on with the week, because like I'm excited about it.
Speaker 4: I needed that fifteen percent of because I'm almost out of my son's screen and that's money win exactly into Oh my gosh, Jessica Rich, is it time for money with?
Speaker 6: I think it my fair?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, what have you got for us this week? I did not see it coming.
Speaker 6: My first money whin comes from Clara, who said, I run out of my fifty pack of pilates classes today. They went on sale with twenty percent off, so I bought another fifty, saved almost one hundred and seventy dollars, and I'm just impressed that class fifty.
Speaker 2: This is so impressive.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've like, yeah, I don't think I've either been to that many classes.
Speaker 2: Maybe I've skipped that week.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, skipped fifty for sure, But do you know would have gone to fifty classes?
Speaker 2: Gabby? So, Gabby's on our team.
Speaker 4: You've probably heard of her before, but far out she's like the pilates queen.
Speaker 6: She loves her pilates. She does indeed, well, maybe she can see if she can get a bulk discount next time she looks.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if my studio offers fifty packs. Maybe because they don't have that much faith in us.
Speaker 6: Maybe not. My next money win comes from Lauren, who said money win. Cam Art thirty nine dollars knee high healed boots they slay.
Speaker 2: Oh do you know what? I have had so many dms about this, suggess.
Speaker 4: I think we should go and check out Camar and see what their boots are like, because I need winter boots and they're so expensive. Like I went into David Jones the other day, I went into May. I was checking out a few different options. One I couldn't find a pair of.
Speaker 2: Boots that I liked.
Speaker 4: True, every time I looked at them, I'm like, that's so much money? Like, yeah, I already don't have them, do I really need them? And yeah, I've got analysis paralysis, so maybe we should just go to Kmart.
Speaker 6: I have a couple that I bought from kmart last year of the year before, and they're still going strong.
Speaker 4: I bet they're the ones that everyone asks about always too. How happens all the time?
Speaker 6: Very cute. My next money wind came from Emma, who said money win. I bought some plant and was gifted for variegated monster cuttings and some anthriums and three uriums and atherums.
Speaker 4: Sam, if you don't leave that in there, please please, and theorium?
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 4: I know exactly who that is because I follow her on TikTok be cause you little known fact about me that's only little known if you don't follow me on my personal socials is I have an addiction to exotic plants like I really like buying like very gated monsters. I've got a few Tai constellations. I've definitely spent a lot of money on a few al but anything that.
Speaker 6: Is hard to get me hold off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll show you later.
Speaker 6: I got beautiful and so jealous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, would you say a guilty pleasure like they're like my children. I will show you them when you come to my house anyway to be gifted four cuttings. People pay for those, so that is, and they're very expensive, like a cutting of a very gated MONSTERRA is like at least one hundred and fifty dollars each. Anyway, for those of you who might follow me on my personal account, I bought my elbow from her brother in No, from her brother in law, like I'm in the plant community now like I'm not, but like I just I'm in the no guist.
Speaker 2: She knows, she knows.
Speaker 5: Just need it on record that I keep hearing very gay monster up.
Speaker 2: It's a very gay monster. You know what that looks like? Why don't you have one? I can't fully they don't have a very gay monsterra.
Speaker 4: You know what, I'll take it. What's next money win? Because Beck's already lost it.
Speaker 6: The next money win is from Deborah and she said, I just said yes to the dress. Thanks to Marketplace. My dress retails for four thousand dollars, and I found it online for twenty five hundred with a veil. Money Win bargained it to two thousand without the veil and we tried on. It was a little bit big and it had a stain, so I offered fifteen hundred dollars, isn't she agreed? Oh my gosh, how good is that?
Speaker 2: A little hustler turn out of ten?
Speaker 6: Huge saving there. My next money win comes from Kim, who said I had a medical procedure on Monday, which I was told was going to cost me three hundred and eighty dollars out of pocket. After the procedure they told me it was one hundred percent covered by Medicare. I love that money week price, that's unreal. And then my last money win for this week came from Bridget who said I got rush ticks on today, ticks to see Come from Away, so good and amazing seats one hundred and forty dollars tickets for forty five.
Speaker 5: Oh, were you confused to I it was?
Speaker 2: I thought it was.
Speaker 6: I think a rush tick is like a last minute ticket and this must be a platform.
Speaker 4: I had no idea, to be honest, when you said tick, I was like, that is a small bug that you I'm.
Speaker 2: Sorry that You've got.
Speaker 6: Great way if you're a theater girly to see some amazing shows I've heard come from Away is absolutely outstanding. I have used last ticks before and they are also great. That's tick with an X, not a C. That's how you got confused. Tick ticks.
Speaker 5: Ticks that is really really cool.
Speaker 6: Left it. That's because they're usually so expensive. Great my lastund support the arts round.
Speaker 4: All right, let's segue again into hopefully what is another money win?
Speaker 1: Beck?
Speaker 2: Have you got a broke tip for us this week? If so, what is it? Yes?
Speaker 5: Okay, So, I'm actually very excited for this new little segment. A few people wrote into me on my Instagram at becksied.
Speaker 2: I'm very grateful for you guys, and we're encouraging this. Yes, strongly encouraging this strongly encouraging, and thank you for supporting me.
Speaker 5: So my first one this week is from Sarah Luise, who said that if you are out of foundation, it needs to go to an event, or you just need a few days or a week until payday, pop into makeup giants such as Mecha or Sephora and grab a sample.
Speaker 2: Of something which I know I am smart.
Speaker 6: It's very very smart.
Speaker 5: I can't fully relate to the makeup side of things, but it did get me thinking about when you're going to an interview or a date, you don't have perfume, maya.
Speaker 4: Oh, just swing past, do a little bit of spritzy spirits, fritzy spirts and she smells expensive.
Speaker 2: Now smells expensive. I really really like this one.
Speaker 6: I do that a lot.
Speaker 2: Actually, you're quite smart, very clever.
Speaker 5: So my second broke tip for this week is from Karla who recommends.
Speaker 2: That I follow this person on Instagram. It is Jasmine or.
Speaker 5: Western and her handle or their handle is Jasmine seats. That's Jasmine without the E. At the end, she or they kind of give their under ten dollar recipes.
Speaker 4: F I haven't seen that one, but there's a few on TikTok that I follow.
Speaker 2: Jenny. I follow Jenny on TikTok.
Speaker 6: I love Jenny.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think her user names like jen A or something.
Speaker 4: Anyway, she has like she goes to Kohle's or Woolies or whatever with like ten bucks and shows you like a good meal that you can make with ten dollars that will feed like family, which I think is really cool.
Speaker 6: Yes, it is Jenny one that does the mudcake CAx as well.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. Tiamacmac. Yes, I love taback.
Speaker 6: Now that's some energy, wholesome energy.
Speaker 5: So I do just want to say, Jasmine shops at Woolworths so very accessible.
Speaker 2: Or you know, at least pretty accessible and gets.
Speaker 5: All of the ingredients from wool Wears and it's all under ten dollars and you can get some really really good recipes out of this, so healthy and fresh and fun and yeah, so that's kind of the I love that those are the broke tips for the week.
Speaker 2: It's your broke tip of the week.
Speaker 4: I'm very excited to hear because I just feel like You've got this brain that's like a little wizard and we all want to get inside and be like thank you, But what would Beck do? So we're all going to get like little plastic braces, so say wwb D and it's what would Beck do?
Speaker 2: That is so nice?
Speaker 6: So this is I have to be honest with you.
Speaker 5: I My broke tip was actually the spin off of Sarah Luise's broke tip, which is to go to my But I do want to say this, and this isn't something that I advise everyone to do, but a few years ago, when I needed to change my white joggers to black joggers, I colored the knockers permanent marker for oh shoes. Colored colored my shoes in with permanent marker for a hospo job. They didn't the whole shoe, the whole shoe, tongue and everything.
Speaker 3: You did.
Speaker 5: I promise, I promise it's correct. I want to know how better it Honestly, for the amount of time.
Speaker 2: I needed, it worked.
Speaker 5: It worked for like one or two days, but then once it rains it goes purple.
Speaker 4: Did you know that you can buy colledge changing shoes. That sounds expensive. I'm pretty sure and I did that.
Speaker 6: You can buy leather paint is another tip that would be a lot them buying a whole new shoe. Like if you just buy some black leather paint it's made to like paint shoes and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's way smarter.
Speaker 4: I was out of s You can just get some like rip dye and dunk them in die.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, if you yes, I love that, so you don't have to go out and buy new shoes.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Why are we bothering with these solutions when we could have just colowed them in.
Speaker 2: You could have called them in.
Speaker 5: And also I'm thinking if you want them to go back to white at some point you can just wash them straight out.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, just wash them straight?
Speaker 4: Not that it's do you know what? We're canceling the money tip there or the broke chip there because they're not going back to white. If you color your shoe in, disclaim it here. I'm not responsible for what happens if you try to have it your shoe. Please don't come for us patch test it. We're not promising that it works.
Speaker 6: That's very true, that's good, I believe you, but also don't want people to yell us now dms no, absolutely not.
Speaker 4: Someone taking that super sit They're like, this didn't even look professional.
Speaker 6: Jessica, I.
Speaker 5: Carry my high heels for my wedding in black, and they I don't know what happened.
Speaker 4: To try it with a pair of shoes that I don't wear anyone. Let's go to a break before we get the moreish tips, and on the flip side, we're going to talk about the best way to manage cash flow between multiple accounts, and we're going to talk about how to manage rent after a breakup.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere, guys.
Speaker 6: Welcome back, everybody. Let's listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve. The Sheese on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money.
Speaker 2: Career and life questions.
Speaker 4: To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show.
Speaker 2: Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: High ladies, purchase a home and we'll have access to an offset account where I plan to keep all my savings in to offset my mortgage. Someone who has ten different accounts for different purchases and expenses. Even my dog has its own savings account. I'm stuck on how to best manage my cash flow. Since I won't be able to have a subcategory in my offset and it'll just be one large amount of cash. It could potentially transfer out my fortnightly allocation for bills and daily spending, but this would then mean my account is an offsetting at its full potential. I thought about keeping an Excel spreadsheet where every time I get paid, I jop down how much is allocated to each category, but it would get really difficult to track if I had to make frequent withdrawals. Thank you so much, love the show.
Speaker 2: How wholesome. First question I have, guys, what do you think her dog is saving for?
Speaker 6: Acturely, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was going to say it, and now I regret it because it's like, not even funny. I understand that you're probably like saving for your dogs costs or expenses, but that makes absolute sense. Jess, you budget this way, don't you. You have a savings account for everything?
Speaker 6: Yes, I do, but I don't have an offset so not yet?
Speaker 2: Whatnot yet?
Speaker 4: When you listen to the property playbook, you might get an update on where Jess is at in that process. However, I think this is actually a question for your mortgage broker. If you don't have one, obviously, check out Zella Money and they will hook you up. But you can actually find a bank that would have multiple offset options. So some banks might say, okay, Beck, you only get one offset account, But there are a lot of banks that also will let you have as many offsets as you would like.
Speaker 2: So that's the circumstance I'm in.
Speaker 4: I can have as many as I want, and I can use them for whatever I want, and I have you know, different savers set up so that every single dollar that comes into my bank account is working as hard for me as I do free. And I think that that's really important because obviously, you know, if you've got a mortgage, you kind of want to offset the money, especially when the interest rates are as high as they are today. The other way that you could manage it is going back to basics. So let's say that you have had a conversation with your broker and the best possible outcome for you is a bank that only allows you to have one offset account. You could go back to basics and kind of have an app or a spreadsheet or a system that enables you to track how much is in each account technically but keeping it in one lump sum, and then you know, drawing off that to your cash flow. Personally, I would say that if your broker suggests that the best outcome for you is a bank that only allows one offset, when you've said that that's really important to you, to me, that's a little bit of a red flag, because when you're getting a mortgage, the most important thing is not just the interest rate. There's so much to take into consideration, there's your personal circumstances, how flexible it needs to be, whether you're going to be fixed or variable, whether you need multiple offset accounts, whether you need you know, lots of different things, lots of different considerations. Some mortgages only allow you to pay off up to a certain amount in addition each and every single year, and you might go, well, actually, I really want to do more than that. So you need to look into every single semantic of your loan before you get involved, because I think a lot of people just look at that interest rate and go I want the lowest interest rate, and it's like okay, But with the lowest interest rate might come additional fees and a few constraints that you might not want to consent to. So understanding what you're signing up for is really important. But I guess TLDR i'd be talking to your broker and asking, hey, friend, what bank can I go with that will give me as many offsets as I want because that's how I budget in cash flow, and that's really important to me.
Speaker 2: Is basically where i'd be going.
Speaker 4: And if you don't have a broker, obviously shameless plug again, just go see Kate, because you'll.
Speaker 2: Saw you out turn out to you love Kate, Love Kate. Yeah, we will. You have to shoos your colleague. They're the rules. I made them.
Speaker 6: Every Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just get all these people together and I'm like, now, Keith, like it's very, very important. But is there anything you guys would like to add to that. I feel like it was relatively straightforward. Get more offset accounts.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I like budget that way, so I feel like when I one day buy a house, that'll be something that I try and prioritize for sure.
Speaker 2: Beck, what's your advice?
Speaker 5: I would say that you're doing a great job and keep it up.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: All right, We've got a bit of a spicy DM to share with you this week. And I say it's spicy one because of the topic. But two, you know what Jess said off air before we got recording, Beck, She said she thinks that you, Jess and I we're going to be fighting over what we think is right and wrong here, so you might see the first ever she's on the Money street fight.
Speaker 2: Straight. Do you know what?
Speaker 4: Jess gorgeous, stunning, like one of the hottest people I've met in my entire life. Really intelligent, and then she comes out with stuff like that and you're like, you really are from the West Side, aren't you.
Speaker 2: She's got a little bit a little bit of West Side in it. Yeah, I believe that she could. I believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sometimes I'm a little bit scared. You just got a tread with caution. Anyway, this week's community dilemma like this, Hey, girls, need your advice. My partner and I recently broke up. We lived in a sharehouse with two of his friends. There are three bedrooms, and we shared the biggest bedroom and had a private bathroom, so we both paid a little bit more rent than the other housemates. After the breakup, I'm moving back home and he's staying in the house.
Speaker 2: However, he's asked me to keep paying.
Speaker 4: My rent for the next few months, as he can't afford both his and my portion of the rent. I think maybe him and the other two housemates should be splitting this extra rent between them until they find a solution. But then the other housemates find this unfair, which I can understand, as why should their rent increase just because we broke up and I'm moving out? Do I keep paying rent even though I don't live there anymore. Of course I don't want to, but I don't want to put financial stress on anyone. The whole thing is very messy, and any advice is appreciated.
Speaker 6: So I'm going to operate on the assumption here that it's a twelve month lease. Okay, right, yes, Well I don't know it's because I'm assuming if they were not on a twelve month lease, they were month to months, you would just give your notice to fake ate like you would no matter what. So just setting that as the ground shot point for all of our perspectives. Who wants to take it away?
Speaker 4: Now, you guys can go, because I feel like I am going to be opinionated on this because I went through this and I was the one that broke up.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, then I think just go to you can go first.
Speaker 6: Okay. I think that assuming you've signed on to a twelve month lease, that is your financial responsibility. Like everyone has moved into this house on the agreement that we will be living and we will be paying these amounts for twelve months, regardless of your personal life, regardless if you were splitting, regardless if you decided to add a third person to your room and split the rent three ways with them, like your room and the two other rooms have an agreed value that you have all said you will pay for twelve months. So if you've broken up, it's not the housemates problem. The amount that they're paying should not change, full stop, end of story between you and your partner. I kind of feel like, again, you've both agreed to pay this rent for twelve months. So as much as it sucks that you're moving out, and as much as it sucks that you've broken up, it is still your financial responsibility. Are there ways around that? Absolutely? Like could you split the room like some nights, like maybe you rotate between your parents' house and there shared custody. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Could you imagine, could you look at it? I couldn't imagine anything worse.
Speaker 2: I can't think.
Speaker 6: You mean there are other options you can explore. Do you look at both of you moving out? Like replacing yourselves with another couple or somebody else also an option on the table. But I just think that ultimately you have signed a contract. That's what a lease is. You need to adhere to that contract, regardless of if you're living there or not. If everyone in the house wanted to break the lease, you would have obligations to the property management company or to your landlord. And I think that should still stand, even though there's like personal dynamics that are now coloring that. And I know that that's a harsh point to take.
Speaker 5: But how all, okay, okay, I think if what you're saying is true.
Speaker 4: If the assumptions Jessica Ricci has drawn the twelve monthly, assuming.
Speaker 5: The twelve monthly thing, I tend to agree with you. However, it does sound like it's leaning more toward your regular sharehouse vibe, in which case there's not a lot of commitment there when you're just like in a share house. I would just say, if, hey, if you want to stay in this house that we both moved into so you can live with your friends, then you're going to have to pay the rent. But if we both kind of ford the anemore because we're splitting up, then we'll both have to move out. But if your friends want him to stay there, then they can all agree on a different rent price. Doesn't mean that I'll be paying equal, but maybe one of them can.
Speaker 2: Make the situation.
Speaker 5: Maybe they like the living situation and they're willing to pay a little bit more to keep him there and keep the dynamic and stuff like that. But honestly, it sounds very share housey, and I feel like he can get out of this situation easily if he wanted to. But seems like he's just really comfortable and he doesn't want to pay any more rent, which I think is a little bit unfair.
Speaker 6: That's the case, I feel like he should move out, Like I feel like it's a case of either like, you both continue to pay the rent and you decide who lives there or what that situation looks like, or you like, one of you moved out and the other takes on the full amount of the rent, or you both move out and replace yourself. Yes, what do you think what happened when you So you're going to be like.
Speaker 2: No paid it all? No, not paid at all? No patriarch, Oh my god, patriarchy.
Speaker 4: Okay, So the way I was going to start if you had left me was was around how you structured I guess the rent, Like, let's say there was like three bedrooms and one of the bedrooms was significantly more, Like, are you just allocating rent based on the three bedrooms that exist?
Speaker 2: In going? Okay?
Speaker 4: Bedroom ones worth two hundred dollars, bedroom twos where three hundred dollars, and bedroom flours worth five hundred because of the different facilities associated and attached to that room.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So when I used to live in a sharehouse, which some of you have probably come to string together, was relatively toxic. I also was going through a breakup with my partner at the time, and we were arguing a lot, but it was about whether he should pay for my portion if I was leaving, and about who should take that on. So the way we split rent was based on the bedrooms, so it wasn't based on the occupants of the bedroom because if you want to bring down your rent beck you could get a roommate, like you could just you know, share that room with whoever. So we would split the rent via three because there were three bedrooms, but there were four people living in the house, so we split bills by four because we went, okay, col that bedroom you can use however you want, is a two hundred dollars a week bedroom or whatever it was. But the bills are all equal because we all draw you know, basically the same amount of power. Like unless you're going to get real petty and talk about the light in the bedroom. But like we all shower, we all use the kitchen, et cetera. So that's how we split it. And so I think it's really it's smart before you're moving in with somebody to really consider, Okay, well, what if this relationship didn't work out? I have said so many times, plan for the worst, expect the best. So like, let's go, beck, if you moved in with a partner and that bedroom was three hundred and fifty dollars a week and you genuinely couldn't afford it if your partner and you broke up, like, what would be the solution there? And I think having that conversation before moving in is really important. It's not very sexy, but I do think it's important and would have saved this argument.
Speaker 2: I also look at it and go, okay.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's the housemate's responsibility because you're the ones that said, okay, I'm committing to this room, and you committed to them as much as you committed to your partner.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, like if the.
Speaker 4: Three of us moved in together and I brought my husband Steve like me saying okay, well, I'll take the expensive room because it's the two of us that takes the financial pressure off you guys, and I've agreed to do that. I can't just change my mind later because it doesn't work out for me. Like, my personal life is not your responsibility, and vice versa, so I don't think that's fair to put it on the how the housemates. I think you and your partner should work it out. In my circumstance, I moved out because I don't know if you've met me, But I'm the type of person that's like, I'm leaving and then wants.
Speaker 2: To be dramatic.
Speaker 6: Shit is the drama.
Speaker 2: I'm the drama.
Speaker 4: So I wanted to leave, and I did, but I continue to pay rent until we had agreed that that would be fair. So then the conversation came up, Yes, that person took over my portion of the rent and that room was expensive. Who knows what happened after that, not my circus, not my monkey's, not my business. But we agreed, Okay, cool, Like we've decided to part ways for a few weeks while you work out what you're doing, but like, I'm not committing to this ongoing, so you can either continue to pay it, or they can find a new housemate who is willing to pay it because it was never a completely unreasonable amount. I think that's one of the risks when you move into a house, Like let's say there were four people in the house and you decided to split rent equally between all four people. I think that's where you run into a little bit of trouble because that financial burden then is doubling somebody else's rent. And I guess the way you're splitting it means that people aren't.
Speaker 2: Going to feel like it's so fair.
Speaker 4: Whereas if you just put a number and this is the value of each bedroom, like you can have that bedroom and do with it what you want, Like that's your private space. Beck if you want to get like five housemates and put bunk beds in there, like I mean, people aren't probably going to consent to that, but you could technically do that because it's your room to share. Whereas I think that splitting it per head gets a little bit dangerous, especially if somebody leaves, because and it really needs to be renegotiated, and it's about that conversation, right, like, oh well, what if Jess leaves, then there's three of us, do we need to split it equally? Like, it's just so much easier to put a price on her bedroom and be like, Okay, cool, that bedroom's worth X. And then it's the responsibility of the people in it to work their own stuff out.
Speaker 2: It's not housemates' responsibility.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree, agreed.
Speaker 2: Jessica thought we were all going to have a fight.
Speaker 6: I think that once the mics turned off, she's going to come for it. She's savage.
Speaker 4: But we did ask our community about it, so we said, have you experienced a housemate unexpectedly moving out? Forty eight percent of you said, yep, life happens. Life happens If yes, who paid their rent?
Speaker 2: Like this?
Speaker 4: I feel like it's hard because it's not just like, oh I did a partner break up with you. It's like if your housemate moved out, who paid the rent? So sixty one percent of you said they paid the rent until we found someone new, which I think is fair, And then thirty nine percent of you said I paid the rent until we found someone new.
Speaker 6: Oh. I just don't think anyone should be responsible for somebody else's choices financially.
Speaker 2: No, neither.
Speaker 4: It's funny because I used to have a housemate way back when, same toxic house. You're not going to be surprised to hear this. Who would be like, Oh, I shouldn't have to pay rent over Christmas because I actually go back to my parents' house. Yeah, when breaks off, I go back. And we were like no, like, I don't care if you're off, you need for three months and living at your parents' house that's technically still your bedroom. And she'd be like, well, I'll sublease it, and we were like yeah, cool, like one our lease agreement says it's no subletting, but to none of us would be comfortable with a random living here for three months, like we don't want to do this.
Speaker 2: And then she thought we were the.
Speaker 4: Devils, like because she was like, I am actively choosing to go and live somewhere else, and now it's your burden, Jess, Oh, it's just the same housemate that stole my underwear.
Speaker 6: And also throughout all the meat must sound so.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I'm going to do a little stalky stalk later and see that person's out right now.
Speaker 6: Love to know.
Speaker 2: Let's do that together, Yes, let's.
Speaker 6: Do that all right?
Speaker 4: So next we asked if you were in this situation, who would you expect to pay the rent? Sixty two percent of you said the partner who is still living at the house. Fifteen percent of you said the partner who is moving out of the house.
Speaker 2: So that's quite low. I thought that was five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and twenty three percent of you said the partner living there and the housemates should cover it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't think the housemates should cover it at all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was I saying my real life, like, I don't really care how the partners work it out, Like, I think that's between you and your relationship. Do I know, I can your financial situation. The line in the sand for me is around the housemates. It's not their problem.
Speaker 4: No, no, And we had a few good messages that shed a little bit of insight. So we had one that said, hello, I'm a property manager, so I might be able to help here. If there isn't anything in writing, she isn't responsible. And then in brackets, always have a lease even when you sublet, so it comes down to what she wants to do morally, Yeah, which I think is you know fair. Someone else said if the lease a periodic lease month to month, So I think they went down the same thought process as missage.
Speaker 6: Really that's a big factor.
Speaker 4: And on that lease, they need to give twenty eight days notice and make sure rent is paid up until that date, or they can leave before the twenty eight days, but still need to make sure that they've paid their rent up until that date. If it's a fixed term lease, it's more complicated and you really should be speaking to your real estate agent or your landlord from personal experience. If they've done the right things, you either split the amount between the remaining housemates or you get someone else in it to cover that portion. Someone else said, did they cheat though, Yeah, if it's a shipbreaker up, yeah, yeah, I mean if you want to play that game, I will make it your financial burden.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you chose that life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, if you want to do that, that's now your responsibility, and I back anyone who makes that decision. Someone else said, if they both got the place together, then it's both their responsibility to pay and find a solution to someone taking over that room. Unless the ex wants to stay in that room, then he should pay for the whole thing because she's moving out and that's the solution only my opinion, though, I think that's really, really quite smart. A few other comments just said split between the partners. Maybe other people said.
Speaker 2: Did they cheat? Did you cheat? What happened?
Speaker 4: I feel like a lot of people want to know the semantics of this breakup, because, after all, we are the She's on the money community, and we do encourage perfect questions, but we will not be asking our DM this week how that happened, because she's on the relationship where she's on the money. But I think summary of that is it's between the two of you, it's not actually between the housemates.
Speaker 2: And from what it sounds like, your.
Speaker 4: Partner wants to stay in that house, which means he wants to take over that lease. I would agree, yeah, if he wants to do that, and then he can work that out. However he wishes to work it out, and if he does it with his housemates, like, that's not your circus, not your monkeys.
Speaker 6: Interesting, no fight to be had.
Speaker 2: Wow, damn, I really thought this was going to get spicy, and I was kind of excited. Tso kind to each other. Yeah, we'll have a fight later. All right, let's go.
Speaker 4: I want to get fish pole for lunch, and I hope you guys, have the best weekend.
Speaker 2: We will see you for money Darries on Monday. See you later.
Speaker 6: Bye bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 8: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Shoper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine.
Speaker 1: You