Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome to another episode of Outspoken as Usual. You're joined by journalists Amy and Sophie Torber And on today's episode of Under the Influence, we are so excited to be joined by Rob Milsey Mills. Now, for those who aren't like Sophie and I and who are totally obsessed with MILLSI when we're fourteen. Rob rose to stardom as a finalist on Australian Idol in two thousand and three. Since then, he's carved out a successful career in musical theater and scored himself a role on Australia's longest running soap. Neighbors. Get set for a fun chat where we discuss bathroom etiquette whilst holiday with a partner. We find out all the goss on what really happened in the Australian Idol mansion, and we also find out how Millsy caught the attention of his journalist's girlfriend, Georgie. We also discussed some pretty serious matters involving mental health, so if you are struggling, please call Lifeline. On thirteen eleven fourteen, Welcome back to Australia. I've seen via your Instagram some pretty amazing snaps of you and your lovely girlfriend Georgie in Europe. How was the trip?
Speaker 2: Oh, incredible, it was really it was the first time that Georgie and I had been on a big holiday together. So four weeks alone with your partner is I think it's always it's always daunting but also exciting, and it's proved to work out really well, like we've definitely taken our relationship to the next level. But yeah, we went to some really beautiful places. I think probably one of my favorites. Our favorite was Kyoto to going up to Fashimi and Ari the mountain with all the shrines, the tory gates and it was really beautiful. But yeah, we're going to Tokyo and over to London, and then we went to Paris and Brussels and Dubai on the way home. So it was a pretty extensive trip. But always we always realize, I said, the joy every time we're coming back astray is really how lucky we are here obviously, just economically with so much it was so much better off than a lot of other countries around the world. We're not fighting for space even in our even in our cities, and just yeah, we just we've just got We're so lucky to have been to being brought up here. That's that's a good Yeah. I don't think many people in Australia realized until they leave Australia to go, wow, we've actually I mean, it's beautiful in London and in Paris, all the beautiful buildings, but everything's old. Everything's new here, and it's from all the mistakes of past civilizations. We've we've done pretty well here. I mean, apart from our.
Speaker 3: Lack of.
Speaker 2: Lack of love for having indigenous we've we've we've done pretty well in this country.
Speaker 1: Now you've answered so beautifully. But I want to go back to the fact that this is your first holiday away with your girlfriend, because as I went to Europe with my boyfriend last year and what we found difficult was the toilet etiquette on a holiday because sometimes those rooms are quite small. Did you have cost could with all of that or any funny stories along the way?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously when you first go to Tokyo, so we're first going to Japan, Yeah, couldn't wait to use the the bubblers, you know, couldn't wait to use I don't know what you call them, but they're fantastic, and both of us have decided we definitely want to get one of those toilets. It plays music for you.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's good.
Speaker 2: The seats are always warm, and I couldn't wait to ask her if she's you know, she's the the bubbler. But yeah, I don't think we had I think we we We're live a year and a half, so I think we both had that conversation like if you need to go, you need to Yeah, we're both obtusly we realized that has nothing nothing too crazy, but yeah, no, no, we'll find it on that front. I was just I just love those toilet suits. So I've got to say fantastic.
Speaker 1: Now. Now, I thought we go back by talking going back to two thousand and three when we all first met you on Australian Idol. You were only twenty one at the time, which is pretty crazy, and you became an instant household name. What was that time like in your life?
Speaker 2: It was it was fun, super fun for a young kid who'd never been in a plane before. So my first plane flight was the flight to go to Sydney to be in the top one hundred. So I mean, I've been on caravan camping trips as a family. I was like kept in a cage like Fritz or anything like that. But yeah, so I'd worked in a pub band for three years, like Thursday or Sunday nights, always singing in bands, so I saw I've already had a bit of confidence as a stage performer. So I wasn't like to a singer who's never sung before, but yeah, to be part of the machine that was Australian Idol and be part of the first sort of big reality TV show where I think I started to realize that there's nothing real about reality TV. But I was just happy, go lucky kind of kids and not very self aware at that age. It's quite naive I thought I was. I think I had some self confidence, but probably not as much self worth as probably needed to go on a show like that. So I wasn't a two years later that I realized, oh, I didn't actually know who I was. So every time I've done a chat with kids at schools or I highly recommend kids have a bit more of an understanding of who they are and what they want as a as a person before they go on my shows, because I think when I was on there, I was just trying to be someone maybe a little bit. But at the same time, I was just trying to figure out who I was, which is which is kind of difficult to figure that out in front of you know, millions of people who are watching on television. They seem to have had an idea of what the network kind of had an idea of what they wanted for me and as a character on the show, and I was like, sure, I'll be that party guy Alarak and you need me to be like sure, that's kind of who I was. But years later, you know, I realized that I'm not really that guy, so I've got a little bit more depth. But it wasn't ntil years later to work that out.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose it's hard because people do forget you were so young when you're on Australian idol and I don't know if this was part of the role or it got thrown on you, but you were the heart throb of the show. What was it like getting so much female attention at such a young age.
Speaker 2: I was okay, it was as I said, I'd worked every sort of every weekend, so those sort of you know, those formative teenage years where people will go out to university parties and a lots of stuff. I worked those nights Thursday to Sundays, so I never really went out picking out girls. And during that time I was always the guy singing in the band and then I'd pack up the gear and put in the car and drive home. So for me, it's like I'm kind of off the leash. And also I don't have to I don't have to sing thirty songs a night in the band. I have really very little responsibility here. I have to sing one song a week instead of you know, a hundred. So I was like, I'll just going party a bit of it. See, well, that's like And I loved it. I really loved the I really liked the partying aspect. I was like, I wonder if one does this every weekend. It's great fun. But the female session was great. But also, you know, it's shallow and it's you know, I'm still looking. You know, I'm a lover. I'm a lover of love that's taken me a while to find that person.
Speaker 1: Oh, do you have any crazy sort of fan stories, because, as we're saying, obviously the girls did go crazy for you, did you have any whether did they stalk idle HQ or anything like that. Did anyone kind of try and get in there.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, yeah, there were there are a few girls that actually came to the house that tried to tried to break in. We had security guards. We had security guards there so which was also great to keep the people out, but also the were are to keep us in. But it's okay. We managed to jump the fence. I managed to get all the guys out of the house. One night we went to this party in the city which had heard about. We've gotten a bit of trouble for it, obviously as the ringleader. Obvious we got a bit of trouble for it.
Speaker 1: Was Sebastian there or was he just the goody goody in the house?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and everyone go over out. It might have been the top one in the top. I think it was. Yes, us over the back fence of the next door neighbors and ran out their driveway. We all jumped on a train into the city and had a massive night. It was like on a Sunday night after the show.
Speaker 1: Kind of did people just go crazy when they saw you all because you guys were literally sort of I don't know. I think I feel like you guys were the most famous people in Australia at that time, because that's the first time we'd really seen a reality show like Australian Idol take off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it was pretty it was pretty weird. I couldn't understand it. I still find it weird how people want to talk to me in the street like just a guy, just the guy. But thank you for your annextion. Yeah it was. It was. It was pretty wild back then. It's still. I mean it's still pretty wild, depending on the venue or the time of night that you're out, usually alcohol, dependent on how how people treat you as well. But yeah, it was, it was. It was pretty pretty I think it was the most popular show the country I'd ever seen. I think something like that. I think it's still is. I remember Usha telling me not long ago, that's still I think that that Grand Final of Australia still think the highest rating show in Australia.
Speaker 1: That was crazy.
Speaker 2: It's pretty ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Well, on the flip side, there's themselves. Well on the flip side, there's obviously all this admiration that comes with the love of Australian idol. This was a time, I suppose, when we didn't have social media, but there were internet forums. How tough was it facing that online criticism.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember my brother saying, don't read the forums, and I was like, sure, so I did, and yeah there's a bit of a bit of a bit of hate floating around for everyone. It wasn't just for me, it was for everyone. If you know you had your favorite, then you would you would disc the other other, which I found really bizarre. I think any kind of faceless media, whether it's a blog or even newspaper or magazines, can get quite vicious because you don't actually have to stand there and defend yourself, so people just it brings out the I think it sometimes brings out the worst in human kind.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember being pretty disappointed and feeling pretty sad about it all, but had a pretty good coping mechanism. I've just put that in the box. Rub don't deal with that like most I think young people have. Was until years later you realize, oh, you can go to therapy, you talk about it, you can actually move on with doer. So I didn't have those coping as I said, the coping mechanism I head back then was just put it in a box and do it all later. But it all just builds up, and you know, there's a giant amount of sadness that you carry around with.
Speaker 1: You that you don't realize and selling your elimination. You have spoken about that you suffered a panic attack after being mobbed by a crowd on the Gold Coast. Just how tough was that time for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was pretty horrible. Actually, it was just all that, I suppose that adrenaline from the showw and.
Speaker 3: The come down all at once, and also the sadness that you've been carrying, multiplier with alcohol from that you're consuming and also that other people are consuming.
Speaker 2: It was a lot. I'd experienced a panic attack at a shopping center a few weeks earlier that we were doing some fignatures, some shining at I'm a quite extroverted person for that, so we don't know what that means. It doesn't mean I'm outward in nature. It means I get my energy from other people, from other sources. So when there's so much energy coming at me from whether it's lots of people, that is actually really quite daunting. So this particular yeah, this particular night. It was just lots of people just crowding around almost I was getting in headlocks and people just wanting like pulling out my clothes and pulling at me to get photos or it was nothing violent about it, but it was. It was violent in nature because it wasn't really I wasn't really consenting to any of it. I was like just trying to walk to you know, I think I was just catching up with a matees, just trying to walk to the next bar or something. Yeah, the panic attack wasn't great. Ended up in a lot of a lot of sadness. But I didn't, as I said, didn't really talk about it until years later because I thought, oh, this is just this is just all part of it. But yeah, it's not not something and having you know, suicidal thoughts for a for a split second and then it's not something I'm we're gonna say, I'm not proud of, but it's not something I really liked. Yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't. It wasn't a great feeling.
Speaker 1: And you're of close so proud are you, ambassador, And as you mentioned, you did bravely share your story on the ABC about that moment you did contemplate some you know, some you had some sidle thoughts. Can you talk us through why it's so important for you to share your story like that with people.
Speaker 2: I think it's because I didn't realize just how once you once you kind of once you kind of take ownership of it, it diffuses its power over you. And that goes through a lot of things, whether it's a suicidal thought or whether it's a I mean, I'm not saying it just completely just diffuses its power, but it does help. Yeah, I think people need to know that they're not alone in this, and I think that's the one thing. It's human nature. We want to feel a part of something. We want to feel we want to feel heard, and we want to feel part of a community. We want to feel part of something. And if you're feeling so alone, you feel like you're the only one and there's a really scary place to be. So I think, yeah, for football people to talk about that anxiety or their depression or they're just they're just sadness, just general sadness is actually okay. I think people don't talk about that with the kind of harp on this idealism that being happy or finding happiness or is the thing that is the way of life. But some people are just sitting sadness. I don't know if you guys have seen that awesome Disney movie where there's joy and there's sadness and there's anger, Like they're all they're a part of us, and they're all equal or equal parts. So I think the reason I'm an ambassador for it and outspoken about is because it just needs to be talked about, like it just we need to break down the stigma of mental health. And I'm also going to see a regular counselor or a cycle psychologist or whatever you whatever you see. I think is it doesn't mean that you're crazy. It just means that you like to talk about your issues that you have and that and like like I saw a hamstring, you go to all physios to get it rubbed. Why not go see it. It's like to get your brain rubbed. Like that's pretty much all it is. It should it should just be in the social norm for us. And I'm just trying to break down those those barriers so there's more people that we can talk talk about stuff, so therefore it doesn't become more more of an issue. Than it is.
Speaker 1: And do you think it's also particularly important to be having this conversation with young men as well. I mean, you look at the suicide rates in Australia and it's such a huge demographic. Is his men sadly?
Speaker 2: Oh? One hundred that's so that's one of the reasons why why I do this, because we sort of have this. Maybe it's a strange thing, maybe it's a blokey seeing. Still I think lesson left out. If you speak to a lot of young men these days, they're quite open with the feelings. And there's a lot more men's groups that are starting up by younger people and older people as well, actually that they realize the importance of copmental health. But yeah, there's also ratement in Australia for young men's it's catastrophic. Whether it's the sadness comes from their upbringing or relationships, or whether it's from from from gambling debts that they put themselves into, or it's yeah, it's pretty horrible that it's not being brought to the attention of the government enough or the government is not doing enough. They're coming up with all these all these ways through what's the word of master here? They're not doing any only there's enough preventative measures being taken place at the moment.
Speaker 1: It's so hard as well, because sometimes people can seem so happy from the outside and seem like they've got it all. And I suppose looking at you when you were having these hard times, people would have looked at you and gone, oh my god, he's living the life. Do you think it is hard that you know, there's that thought in people's mind that someone who's depressed or going through difficult times is usually down and out, that they can't be having a great time, very successful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, und percent. I think it's always especially those people. If you have that person in your life, is the person who's always listening to others there, I think they're prime, prime candidate. It's always good for you to check in on them. Yeah, I think most of the time it is. It is the friend that you have in your friend group. It's the one who's always the shoulder. I've got this. The thing I always think about when people give their their their energy or they're sad, they're sad energy or their their problems to to someone that's you're up, you're uplifting it off their shoulders, but you're taking it on. I don't know that they're just words or they're just feelings or whatever, but that have to go. So the energy you have to go somewhere and you shouldn't have to carry that. I always thinking about it with my CYC. I would say, you go and talk to someone. Right, you're taking on everyone's stuff every day. You have to then offload it to somewhere, like try to get yourself carbon neutral kind of thing, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I feel like it's passed the energy around and always look after their friend. Who's you know, who's the one who's always this thing?
Speaker 1: Gosh, our mom should probably go on unleash on somebody. The amount of stuff from my sisters.
Speaker 2: Exactly, exactly exactly, and whether it's you know, if you're on a stage in your life or you're you know, your adult enough and your your mum and you yourselves are adults, and yeah, definitely pass the energy back between between each other. But yeah, I can't recommend going to see a counselor or a psych highly enough. The best thing about that is you don't actually have to get anything back. You don't take on your psych energy. You pass it up. It's free. It's not free, but you get six years for free from the government, which is bloody great that I.
Speaker 1: Didn't realize that. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. If you just go to your GP and you sign up for a mental health plan, yeah, you get six three sessions for the psych which is bloody great. So good, it's pretty awesome. I think the thing is is just saying, oh, I don't want to sign up for a mental health plan. That sounds like I'm crazy, Like you're not crazy. You just I just think, Yeah, we just need to break down that stigma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so much taboo around it. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so stupid. Imagine saying you get free six three hudeo second years. Yeah your boody even absolutely for sure.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, are you thankful that in two thousand and three when you were on Australian Idol, social media wasn't as well as big as it is now. Do you feel sorry for some of the reality TV show contestants that are having to put up with the kind of trolling they get online? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yes, and no. As I said before, I think it's good to know who you are and you know, build up your self work before you go on those shows. It is entirely up to you whether you go on the show. It's not it's not entirely after you what people say about you. Yeah, I'm kind of glad that I went in there at a time where there wasn't as much. I think people just need to be a bit more kind and compassion compassionate. I had a friend write something on Facebook during the week Casey and we're all good friends with Casey, and she was on Eurovision some contrast during the week and didn't didn't win, and people were saying all this hateful stuff about the about the winner. I didn't, I didn't see any of it. I was overseas. My friend said, hey, guys, we're all this industry together. We're all active singers, dancing, we're all performers, and we know what it's like to be on the receiving end of of this. So just because your friend didn't win, maybe just be thankful that she made it in the first place, or congratulate the person who did win. Stop stop spending this this hatred. I don't know where the hatred is coming from, coming from Yeah, I don't know. I'm still I think Facebook and Twitter and sometimes Instagram comments and can bring out the worst in can bring out the worst in us.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely. I listened to a lot of Gary V. I don't know if you listen to him, but he does talk a lot about sometimes the people who are putting those hateful comments out of the people that need a.
Speaker 2: Big hug, I totally agree, they're the people that they definitely need the most, the most hugs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. And I mean moving on since your stint on Australian Idol, you've had an incredibly successful career in musical theater. What is it that you love most about being on stage?
Speaker 2: I think for musical For me, for musical theater, I think it's still the most powerful form of storytelling that there is that we have. So you combine the script, you can bind the music, and also then you combine dance. I just thinks, and also it's live. What an incredible medium to do. That's like three forms of storytelling all in one, and when you nail it's just it's sublime. I think there's there's only a few I will probably get yelled out by the musical theater of purists. Here, there's an a few for me that I'm not a massive lover of musical theater. I'm just a massive lover of storytelling and good art, and so The Wicked, I think, really ticks all those boxes, the storytelling of it's the first sort of show with two female leads. It's all that female empowerment where the prince is the supporting the supporting role, which which then you know spur on shows like like Frozen and Frozen being the first kind of Disney movie where you didn't have to have a prince to save the day. It's it's the love of the two sisters that is the thing that makes some better people. I think that's I think it's a really strong message to show young women and also to show young boys. So yeah, but musical theater is yeah, went done right is just it's fantastic. There's a show like Jersey Boys is an incredible jukebox musical, And I went to a Waitress Overseas, which is another really fun, really fun show. Yeah, there's something there's something still to be said about. I mean, we love sitting in front of our TVs and our big screens and watching Binging, you know, Binging, a Netflix series. There's I think the theater will still thrive in this country. I think I read a stat something last year about it's still one of the biggest forms of tourism in every city every year is the theater. The people will keep going to see live theater because there is the live aspect of it. Something could go wrong at any moment, and also it's thrilling, definitely.
Speaker 1: Well, other than the theater, you're obviously on Neighbors as well. What was it like being asked to be on such an iconic Australian show.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a dream come true. I grew up around the corner from Neighbors actually, so about two suburbs away. I used to play baseball behind where they film Neighbors, behind Ramsey Street, so I would see those. I would see the vans where they parked them in the car park, and you know the green rooms or the Star the Star trucks, just hoping to catch a glimpse, catch a glimpse of all the Neighbors stars back in the day. But now yeah, so I've been on there for three years on and off. This last year I've been in full time as a character which has been really, really, really tough. They say that it's a really great training ground for young actors, and it really is a good schooling. I think the last month I was on the show, I think I shot one hundred and fifty scenes in four weeks. Oh gosh, which is a lot. Cons if you're usually you know about fifteen to twenty scenes a week usually, So it was like, yeah, it was it was a lot. It was a lot too. Yeah. So it has been sort of a dream coming true. And I've learned so much from all the actors on days, like Jackie wood Burn and Alan Fletcher and Rymelan. He's just so to gun.
Speaker 1: Did they all live up to the reputation? You know, like, obviously everyone watches Carl and Susan and as you say, Tony, obviously you've mentioned their real names, but I'm just going to call them Carl, Susan and Toty. Did they live to their characters on the show or are they completely different to what you see?
Speaker 2: No, just super lovely humans. I mean different different they're playing I think, different versions of themselves. But no, they're just lovely, loving humans who from the first day they just there to help like, because they've been like mentors for me throughout my time on the show. I went and did some publicity with Jackie in London a few years ago. We had this, We had this wonderful dinner and I just said to her, I don't know if you realize this, but like many children, you basically raised me. I would come home and maybe what she dream when I was having dinner. So yeah, that was my mother. But there's also you. So she's raised so many children across Australia and at the UK.
Speaker 1: She would have been a bloody superstar in the UK. Were people just lining up to take photos with it?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, They're like, who are you on the show?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: I don't know how you find the time to do it. But you've also ventured into the world of business, starting your own talent management agency. What inspired you to start the business? Oh?
Speaker 2: Look, to be honest, guys, it's just me at the moment. I'm just repping myself. I realized, after several years paying management of your wage, I went, this is just ridiculous. They answered the phone, they answer emails, and I realized I've got a phone number, and I've got an email address and I'm not bad at the chat, so I decided to steal it myself. I think in the future I'll definitely branch out and take take on more people. I mean, I've always been a mentor for other up and coming performers and always happy to give advice. I think it because I've worked in all forms of different media or mediums, so like whether it's TV, film, in the music industry or the music called the musicals. So I feel like I've got a pretty good network of people and an understanding of each industry. So I think, yeah, definitely down the track. But at this stage, I just I'm still too busy myself to to look after anyone else. But I think, yeah, I keep saying to my partner, She's like, you definitely should do it, Okay, but not just yet. I think I still I still want to work on myself.
Speaker 1: We'll talking about Georgie, your beautiful partner, who's an amazing reporter on the ABC. We hear that you may have slid into a d MS and that's how you guys got together. Is that true?
Speaker 2: This is true? Yeah. A couple of years ago, I picked on the TV over summer and I'm a lover of I'm an old guy, so I'm a lover of ABC. So I noticed that there was a new sports presenter on the show on ABC Breakfast, and I quickly googled who the hell is the new sports girl on ABC? I think pretty much for it for it and I realized that Georgie Tunney we have mutual friends, and I sent her a dmy on Instagram.
Speaker 1: What was her reaction?
Speaker 2: Uh, To be honest, it took a few days for her to reply, and she's obviously seeing someone, But I just said, I noticed that your news in Melbourne, and I know what it's like to be new in a new city, and if you'd like someone to take it around and I'll show you that, show you some good coffee spots. Been more than happy to be a tour guide for you. And I took a few days for her to get back to me, And anyway, we we didn't really see each other for about two or three months, but I invited her to my opening night. I was doing a play called Puffs, which is a Harry Potter kind of very funny, a forward way play. So she came to opening night and yeah, we've been dating everything.
Speaker 1: Oh, so she was negging you. I've heard that. I've only recently heard that saying negging late.
Speaker 2: That's what that's my thought. But then I realized she's just really not cool and doesn't even know anything about dating or begging. She's just a really lovely kind Uh. Yeah, she's a dark I would like to say she's a hot nerd. Yeah, so she's she has no idea about I thought that that's what she's doing. She's a bit of a you know, she's a bit of a place. She's flame me here. She just had no idea.
Speaker 1: So obviously she's a reporter, and sof and I are both journalists, so we know what the reality of living with journalists are who pick up on your spelling and all that kind of thing. What did you discover dating a journalist or what have you discovered?
Speaker 2: I think the hardest thing is Georgie work's breakfast television, so she's up at three and every day. So it's I live with someone who's permanently got jet lag. So that's pretty pretty hard, I think at times just for her to keep her energy up, and then there's times she's like I want to stay up and you know, I want to start with you, and at nighttime I go to bed because if you don't go to bed, you're going to be tired tomorrow. And then it just keeps escalating on snowballing. So I think at times it's been hard because of lack of you get a lack of sleep. But as far as the spelling, I'm also grabbing Nazi, so we get along really well. There.
Speaker 1: Oh that taaps good. I love it. We do have some quick fire questions for you if you're happy to take apart. Sorry, this is really bad when you've got jet lag, because we'll just fire them at you. So what's your favorite TV show? At the moment.
Speaker 2: I showed that I don't miss is? Have you been paying attention?
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say neighbors for a sect? What's the best perk of being on neighbors?
Speaker 2: The best perk.
Speaker 1: Other than hanging out with Jackie?
Speaker 2: The best is the best. The best thing I suppose is learning scripts and having having to learn scripts every day. It really it teaches your brain how to how to pick up how to pick up scripts, which is really really it's a really good skill to have.
Speaker 1: That's great. Dog or cats?
Speaker 2: Dogs?
Speaker 1: Damn it. Sorry, we're cat lovers here at outspoken Carl or Susan.
Speaker 2: Don't do that. That's that's too heart Now, come on, it's.
Speaker 1: Their characters, so we're not saying Jackie or Alan then Susan.
Speaker 2: Most you'll see why, you'll see wine a few months.
Speaker 1: Okay, excellent. Most famous person.
Speaker 2: You've met, oh, look, most famous to me is still John Farnam, so I'll say John Fardam, I bloody love it, love it.
Speaker 1: Now. We know you don't need dating apps because you use Instagram, But what's your thoughts on dating apps?
Speaker 2: I used the dating apps for a little while, and I look, I've heard some really great stories. But I also I don't know whether people didn't realize it was me, or didn't recognize it was me, or I just wasn't getting the matches that I thought I was going to get.
Speaker 1: People probably thought you were a fake, like this is not.
Speaker 2: But I wandered a few days, and I think for me, it was make sure you look like the person that's on your photos. Don't put a filter on on your on your photos and put a photo up that's actually so when the person meets you, they go, oh, that's it. You look like the person in your photo.
Speaker 1: I've heard your men to put up a worse photo, so people go, wow, they were even better than their photos.
Speaker 2: Great, that's even better then. I love I love that. I think that that for me, I learned a few dates. Wow, you have not lied to me.
Speaker 1: What a deal break is in a relationship for you? Not looking like your Tinder photo?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, filters, Uh, No, deal breakers like lack of kindness. I think I'm pretty good. I'm a pretty good like. There's a rule I think a lot of people use is if you're kind. If you're not kind of white stuff, and then you're not a good person.
Speaker 1: It's a good one. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's a pretty good gauge if you think you're above anyone else. Yeah, the good gage is is white stuff. I think hospitality. If you're route to the bartender or to the waiter, you're like, no, you're not, you're not a good person.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. Another dating question, who should pay on a first date?
Speaker 2: Whoever wants to pay? I love that quality guys, that's right. Yeah, whoever like you might want to. I mean I'll always offer, but if they want to pay as well, then I think we live in a world now where I mean, I know that the pay gap is still ridiculous, but we still live in a world I think where we need to empower women, and I don't think, well, I don't know. I would like to think that women don't need to be paid paid for. I mean, but there's not to say that that men shouldn't definitely offer. I think there's still as a weird gray area there isn't it. Men should be chivalrous yet not too overpowering. Good luck, we're that guys. It's a kind of weird area that we're living in now. But I like to think that it goes, it goes both ways.
Speaker 1: I love that answer. Lastly, thoughts on Lindsay Lohan judging the masked singer.
Speaker 2: She has no idea who anyone? Why is she there? She didn't I saw it at the races. I don't think she even recognized it.
Speaker 1: Like, it's a wolf. Come on, we picked you as the wolf for the second. We picked you as the wolf the second you were on, Like the first song, We're like, that's milsy. As I'm sure a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people it was pretty. It's pretty. It was the worst kept secret. Also, I feel like those producers basically told my life story in the first line of clues. So they're not really close mate, that's just my resume now. But yeah, super fun times. I think I think he's I think he's a good value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got a lover her on me and girls. I was gonna We just wanted to finish up the interview by sort of hoping you can help us relive our teenage years. We loved your album up all night. I think it was the most underrated Australian idol album.
Speaker 2: People, not as fans, industry people as well. Thank you.
Speaker 1: But all the songs are amazing. I suppose be cause guys first album they were sort of written for I suppose any of you guys. But can you sing us a little bit of dirty Girl? It was our favorite? If you remember it?
Speaker 2: I do, I do remember it? But can I can I politely pass and you just play play it? Play it in the podcast?
Speaker 1: What about a line? Just a line?
Speaker 2: Girl? Oh yeah, sure, ebscellute love it?
Speaker 1: Thank you, MILSI Well, actually I lie. We'll just ask you one more question. What have you got planned for twenty twenty?
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty looks like I'm hoping to get my UKVS out and move over to London and try try and get on a West End shore. That's that's my that's my dream this year. And also I will finally now that I have some time this year, finish writing this new one man show of mine. So that's I did a show in twenty fifteen called Rob Mills Are Surprisingly Good, which was surprisingly good the Cabaret the Sydney Theater Awards. So I am hoping to add to that to just yeah, just do a new show about my thoughts and my love of Australia. So it'll be an ausy kind of show, but fun and entertaining and thought provoking. That's the plan.
Speaker 1: Oh well, we can't wait to see it. Thank you so much again for joining us. We've had such a great time chatting with you.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys, thanks for having.
Speaker 1: Me, No right, thank you, thank you so much for listening. If you did enjoy the episode, please leave us a review and also if you'd like to continue the conversation, you'll find us on Instagram at Outspoken Underscore The Underscore Podcast m m
Speaker 2: HM