Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerney Whalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. My name is Becksied and with me is Victoria Divine.
Speaker 4: Hello. V.
Speaker 1: We have a very interesting one today, Scarcity, mindset and investing.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's a spicy topic. I tell, pray, tell oh that sentence gives me the it does it give you the hebes? It gives me the he begbis I'll take it out of rrotation. Scarcity mindset is a spicy one today and it's funny because I asked our producer and a Lisa. I was like, Hey, can you just get some you know, more fun stats and facts and stuff about this before we record? And she's like, Victoria, I've googled this, like there's not a link here, And I was like, Babe, there's a massive link here. Scarcity mindset is often the reason people don't invest, and we need to talk about it. So hopefully this is maybe a good introduction to why scarcity mindset might be holding you back a little bit. But Beck, have you ever found yourself in a position where you're like worried that if someone gets something you want then you might not have it too, Yeah, like a pay rise or like a promotional, like maybe even just like something random. It is hard to admit, but I feel like if someone in my circle or someone around me has the opportunity to get something or just get something that I kind of want, I feel like, what are the chances of us both receiving that?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'm not surprised to hear that because I know a little bit about your money story and I feel like you lean a little bit more towards scarcity rather than abundance, whereas abundance might be like, oh my god, if my friend can achieve that and smash that out of the park, this absolutely I can do that. Just paved the way. What a great time, Like their candle can light mine and we can both shine brighter. Is more abundance mindset, where a scarcity is kind of like, oh, if they're doing it, maybe I can't do it. And I think that that can actually get in the way. And I think a lot of people in our community have this mindset. And a couple of weeks ago, we actually talked about what a lot of money looked like and I remember how you said, oh, I think it was like thirty bucks. Yeah, whereas I said, if you have five dollars or even one cent. Let's be honest nowadays, but if you have five dollars, that's actually enough to get started investing. These days and today, we are going to be diving more into that and really focusing on a scarcity and abundance mindset and how that impacts your investment journey. And I think it's really really important and I promise like we'll get to the point, but we're going to be looking at the differences between scarcity and abundance mindsets, and then after the break, I'm going to teach you how to shift from the negative to the positive and then how this actually affects your attitude towards investing, because I promise it does. Often with scarcity mindset, you just you don't want to put your money out there like we've got them it might run out, like what if I need that money later, Whereas a more abundant mindset just TLD or if you don't want to listen to the whole app This is basically it's summary, but abundance mindset's more about like, oh, if I put my money out there, more will come and I can create more. And I think there's definitely negative connotations to scarcity mindset that mean that we actually limit ourselves and we really shouldn't be doing that, right, Okay, it's actually very company to know that it is something that can be changed. Then it could be changed, But to change something you have to be able to identify it and come to terms with what the reality of the circumstances are to then move forward. But if we can't do that, often we just stay stagnant and we don't change at all.
Speaker 1: YEP. So I guess we'll start with going into the nitty gritty details. What is scarcity mindset?
Speaker 4: So scarcity mindset is basically the belief that life is like a limited pie, so there's like only so much of it to go around, and with only so much money and so much success and good fortunes that if you perceive somebody has a big piece of the pie, you might think that it actually leaves less for you. And this is what really limits what you think is possible in your life. Okay, okay, I think I'm getting a picture now and absolutely could not relate anymore. You know, like Banjo's the Bakery and how they do that little blueberry tart pie thing, That's what I thought of. Oh okay, I thought they're unlimited. They make new ones every single day.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're unlimited. They're not going to run out. You're going to get a blueberry pie tomorrow. Can you break this down a little bit more into specifics for us?
Speaker 4: So basically, from my perspective, it is really important to understand that scarcity mindset is basically pessimistic or negative thinking. I've written a list back and basically a person with a scarcity mindset frames things in you know the following types of ways. So the first thing I've written down is they consider the limitations of a situation by focusing on the negatives. Second we've got they lead with more of a victim mentality and blame things that are outside their control, which adds to stress, worry, and in action. They spend their mental energy on what's lacking in life or not working instead of the positive. They might refuse to collaborate or share with other people. They often and this is a more negative list, but I think it's important to read it out. And I know I said before, Beck, I think you lean more towards this. I don't think that you're super negative, but I do see asp of scarcity mindset in the way that you approach money. And that's why I've pointed it out because I don't want people to think, oh, this big negative list is all me that's awful and the world. It's not. You could have a lot of scarcity mindset, or you could have like a little teeny tiny bit of it that might be that one thing that's holding you back. So it's not a good or a bad thing. It's just something that we can identify about ourselves to put ourselves in a better position.
Speaker 1: Ten out of ten?
Speaker 4: Can I recommend The next one is they think small and they often avoid risk. They often find it hard to trust others and they default straight to suspicion. They act as a taker and always expect more from others, and they establish their sense of self worth by comparing themselves to others, which we don't like doing in the Sheese on the Money community. We're all in different journeys and we don't compare our circumstances to that of others, do we.
Speaker 1: Bet No, that's exactly right. There's always someone out there richer and poorer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But like also that Deed Devontees quote. I don't know if you know where I'm going with this, but like you could be the ripest, juiciest peach in the entire world, but there are going to be people who just don't like eat peaches. And I think that's fine, very powerful. It's a good quote, right, very good quote. It's like raist, juiciest. I'm like, yeah, that quote is good, but it's true, Like you could be the best of the best of everything, and people like, yeah, just don't like peaches. So thanks, though, You're like, but it's the best peach. Yeah, like, have you seen this? It is literally perfect? And they go, yeah, still don't like peaches? Thanks, So babe, can't relate, can't relate. There is truly nothing better I can peach in summer, but moving on.
Speaker 1: Can relate to being the ripest and juiciest and perfect oh good, But I can't relate to being a peek liking peaches, No neither, now, V Why do people develop this mindset and how can it control us and impact us long term?
Speaker 4: That's a very good question when I asked you to ask me, so that makes sense that he's come up at about now. But scarcity mindset or scarcity mentality isn't actually a personality trait. It's a learned behavior. It's a learned outcome from the way that you grew up. Scarcity mindset isn't something that you do on purpose, like people just don't do it on purpose. And I've spoken about this before on the podcast, and it's often around identifying it in other people and maybe not actually viewing it with the kindness that you need to. So when it comes to people's money stories, and the example that I'll go back to is brunch, right, So Beck, let's say you go out for brunch with a girlfriend and you just go, oh my god, I'm going out for brunch with this friend. I love it far out just a bit of a stinge. Whenever we go to brunch, she literally eats before we go. And she's a doctor now she can afford it. Like that pisces me off. Because she's a doctor, she can afford brunch, and every time we go, I eat in front of her. She just saw it as a coffee. Sometimes she gets a croissant, but like she never gets the full you know, big Sunday breakfast. Yeah, and you're looking at that from your perspective and maybe not considering her money story. Yeah, she might be a doctor that has a really good income now, and you're right, she absolutely could probably afford brunch if it was in line with her values. But what you're not considering is maybe she grew up her money was super, super scarce, Like talking about grocery items gave her anxiety as a kid because she always wanted the roll ups, but mom and dad always said, no, it can't afford it. We are absolutely not getting those. It's not an option. So money has always been something that makes her really anxious, so going out to brunch, she can only justify getting her coffee because it's actually part of her money story that she's always been told No, we don't do that, No we don't eat out, No we don't do this. And your friend loves you so much that she wants to go out for coffee with you. She really wants to go out for brunch. She accepted your invitation with her whole heart because she was so excited to see you. But then on the flip side, you're judging the way she spends her money because you have no idea about her money story because it's money, your flipping business. No, but that scarcity mindset in that circumstance is absolutely fine because you know she's living within her value. And to be honest, kudos to her for being able to say knowing that circumstance, because I know when I was at Union, didn't have heaps cash and someone invited me out for brunch, I'd be like, oh, yeah, I'll get something too, even if I didn't want to spend the money. So like, that is quite a strong willed thing to do, mad respect, But that scarcity mindset might limit her in a number of other areas of her life. So for example, we just you know, this is very stereotypical, but I think it drives home the point she's a doctor. Now we're assuming she's making good money, but she might save every single dollar that she has. She might not have bought a home yet, even if it's something that she's been really working towards and really wants to do, and that's her dream, because parting with that money gives her mad anxiety, she just can't do it. Maybe she really wants to invest for her future because she wants to be a single lady for life, got no interest in a partner. But her income isn't enough to create the life she wants, so she needs to invest, but she just can't because she doesn't want to put her money into an investment account because for her, that means that she feels like she loses a bit of sense of control. Compare that to somebody who grew up in a situation where money wasn't scarce, It wasn't something that you know, triggered anxiety. Was kind of flippant, right, like mom and dad gave you some money, or your guardians made sure that you always cared for money wasn't ever an issue. And you're both at school, you're both learning the same stuff, you're both you know, out brunch, and you might both be talking about she's on the money, and you might both say, yeah, I really want to invest. But if you never grew up with a scarcity mindset, you are far more likely to be like, yeah, fire out, why haven't I done that? I might just chuck fifty bucks in Charesi's and actually just start my journey today. What am I waiting for? This is so good? Whereas the person who has the scarcity mindset is more likely to mena about that. They might get a bit of what you've been calling it analysis paralysis, looking at every single platform to make sure that they're in one thousand percent control because they're just not sure what step to take next, and then they just don't want to do it yet because fifty bucks is actually a lot of money, and what if I need that soon? And what if I actually invest that and it doesn't go so well? And I'm really anxious because scarcity mindset is ruling my life, and that negative money story growing up is now impacting the way that I'm interacting with money today, and it's actually going to limit the outcomes we can create. That's often why we talk about cycles of debt and cycles of poverty continuing and replicating themselves, because even if we give people education, sometimes they don't want to take that next step. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes so much sense. And I'm starting to realize that I am more of a scarcity mindset kind of person.
Speaker 4: And it's not bad. It's good to know where you stand because it's something that we can work through to get to the outcome. We know that not everybody starts at the exact same start line. If you have a bit of a scarcity mindset, you might be even further behind the start line. And just to get to the start line is a hustle in itself. And I think that so many people think that the answer is just financial literacy. And here's another podcast on in and here's how to do it. And you know what, I wrote this book of the ab CD and EF step for you to actually invest like I have actually given you guys, step by step instructions on how to invest. Here's how to review a platform, He's how to integrate it into your budget. Here's how it looks over time. This is what compound interest does. You actually have that knowledge. But maybe that next step that you're not taking is due to scarcity mindset. And if we don't address that, you're not going to take that step because that step makes you feel sick. That step gives you anxiety. And the second we have anxiety about something, warning lights go off and we go this must not be the right thing to do. I know everyone's saying it's good, but I feel disgusting about this. I feel anxious. I feel really unsure. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this. You're right, Maybe I'll just put it to the side and look at it next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look at it next year.
Speaker 4: You're anxious again. Yeah, but we're not addressing the underlying idea of where this mindset or where this approach has come from. Right, And I think that to do that is really important.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, This hypothetical story about my doctor friend really has feeling. I think that I'm attached to this person. I don't know who this person is. What should we name it?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Emily is a good name, but it's caller. No, okay, we call it Emily. We'll call it Emily, Emily, I'm here.
Speaker 1: Emily sounds like a doctor. Emily sounds like a doctor. It's a very doctorish name, you reckon. I want Emily to learn how to be more of an abundance mindset sort of person. So tell me what is abundance mindset. I'm guessing this is like optimistic thinking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely it is. And I don't want to say being more positive because that sucks, Like I hate when people like, just be more positive about your y, like I'm actually I'm going to hear you, because that's not just an option. But people who look at the world from an abundance mindset know that there are more than enough opportunities to go around for everybody out there, and that one person's success does not come at the detriment of somebody else's. And often you see this at school where you know young kids like I remember because I had a bit of a scarcity mindset, and I still do and I still work towards being more abundance mindset. And that's why I talk about it so often, because I need to convince myself regularly that this is where I want to be, not where I actually am. But I remember being like, oh, my friend's got an a on that assignment, and I got to be yeah, I'm never gonna get there, Like, you know, she's got all of this succept. It had nothing to do with that. I was comparing myself to somebody else for what outcome to just feel shit about myself. Yeah, great idea of Victoria. That's really good. But essentially, instead of hurrying through their decisions, they make really deliberate, careful choices that are aligned with their values and the life that they want to create. And if there's enough for everybody, then there's no need to compare. There's no need to compete because your success not at the detriment of mine, and vice versa. It's kind of like this quote that I am obsessed with a rising tide lifts all ships, and I think like that she's on the money with a rising tide all the ships. That's you guys, Like, the more we can create, the more content that is out there, the more our tide rises, the more you guys rise, and it's not the detriment of somebody else. Yeah, there might be a new little boat that's just come to the marina and they've never actually been on the ocean. Before, like they're not on the tide. They don't know what they're up to. But that's okay, you can come along. We've got all this content that you can consume and get up to speed with everybody else. But we're rising and we're doing it together, and I think that that's the most important thing there, Like you do not have to push someone down for you to rise up. And I think that that's where you know, when I did that recap of like things that are in and out for twenty twenty three, and I say girl boss culture, like that to me was out because that often aligns to I do well and everybody else doesn't do well, and I will step on people to get where I need to go, and that makes me sick. We don't do that, No, but you can literally get where you want to go without snatching a piece of pie from somebody else.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's actually very good to know. Yeah, it's a fantastic analogy as well, rising with the tides. Everyone. That's really cute. I really like that. So what are some personality traits that are associated with abundance mindset?
Speaker 4: So someone with an abundance mindset? Firstly, I've written down a list again, so strip yourselves in So firstly, they consider the opportunities in a situation by focusing on the areas of growth and improvement. They lead with control by taking responsibility, which inspires them to act with confidence and clarity. They spend their mental energy on new possibilities by being flexible and adaptable to their circumstances, so they can see opportunities where some people don't see any. They think about the challenges and growth ahead, and that actually makes them feel really empowered and engaged. Their positive attitude inspires and energizes others to perform well. They collaborate well with others by sharing knowledge and success, which is kind of like the rising tide lifts aul ships. It's kind of like do you remember at school when people be like, oh, can I see your notes? Like literary?
Speaker 1: Is that kid? Yeah?
Speaker 4: But that's abundance mindset. If that person says yeah, no worries because from my perspective, and I was that person that I would literally and at UNI, I actually made money from doing this. I used to sell copies of my notes that I took in lectures because lots of people wouldn't go and I was just super freek and I would go to every single lecture and I would actually get mad anxiety if I didn't go. So I took these beautiful handwritten notes, and after the lecture, I would go to the library and scanning was free. Printing wasn't Scanning was free, and I'd scan it and put it in my emails and people would pay me like ten bucks per sheet of notes. Yeah, right, But I was under the assumption and this is maybe negative. I don't know who knows where we're going with this, but I was like, I can give you my notes, I can literally hand it to you on a silver platter, But if you don't read them, and you don't put the work in the time and the energy and the effort in that I have, you're definitely not going to be successful, even if you've paid for this copy of notes.
Speaker 1: Right, so you were you didn't feel threatened that if they will be I.
Speaker 4: Will give you absolutely everything you need to be successful, but at the end of the day, that success is up to you and whether you're going to put the energy in, because like, if I hand you these beautiful notes that I wrote, which, by the way, because I knew I was selling them, I like fully ruled the page with like the red line, you know what I'm talking about stunning. Also would highlight things and i'd scan it in color because obviously right business now exactly, I'm a business lady, have been from the beginning. But I was literally like, well, what's the use in you know, hiding my notes and being like, oh my god, no, if you didn't take notes in that lecture, baby, already didn't go to the lecture, You're already behind. You're already going to have to do the work. And if you just think that having the notes and paying for them is going to put your head, it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was already they're available for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, go for it. But anyway, so I think that that's where my abundance mindset started. I feel like I mixed between the two. Like some things I'm a bit scarce to be mindset about, some things I'm a bit abundance mindset about. So it's not one silo or the other. And I think that's important to point out. So you're not just an abundant person, or you're not just as scared city person. You could be abundant in every other aspect of your life, Like I was when it came to notes, but when it came to money, I was really scarce. Does that make sense? So it could be a relationship as well, Like you could have abundance in every other aspect of your life but have some type of relationship trauma. Therefore, you've got, you know, a scarcity mindset when it comes to creating personal relationships. So it's not just money, it's not just one aspect of your life. It can kind of cut and pacet different areas around. Does that make sense, Yeah, that does make sense. So the last thing before you ask another question I do apologize is people with an abundant mindset they often think big and like to embrace risk, which I think is important because risk is a really big part of investing. Not only do you have to understand risk, but you have to be willing to take some level of risk to get some level of return. And obviously there's this risk return trade off. The more risk you take, the more likely return you could anticipate. And that's why if you've got like a term deposit, there's less risk involved, and that's why the percentage rate that you're going to get back is less, whereas if you invest in Australian shares that's a bit more risky, and then international shares that's a bit more risky. Again because the more risk you take, the more likely return you get. But someone who has abundance mindset fully comprehends that, whereas somebody who has more of a scarcity mindset sees that risk return trade off and goes, ah, heck, no, any level of risk is giving me anxiety. Any level of risk is unacceptable. And that's often because they don't fully comprehend what that risk means. They go, oh, I could lose all my money. It's like when you talk to people about the share market, and it's so interesting because obviously I worked as a financial advisor for years, and I would talk to people and be like, yeah, like I work with my clients and you know, I create share portfolios and I manage their money. And they're like, what you just invested? What if you lost all your clients' money? And I'm like, oh, well, you know, the way I invest is actually for the long term. And if you look at the share market over a thirty year period of time, like losing money is actually you know, that hasn't happened over that frame of time. And you know, the clients I work with, you know, understand that we don't actually invest for a short period of time, and we understand the economics of the market. And if the market goes down, like I have educated my clients in a way where they know, if the market's down shares are on sale, like maybe we could pick up some more, it's not time to sell. Whereas people who have more of a scarcity mindset might convince themselves to invest and go, oh, this is great, no worries, Like I've taken the next step. I'm so proud of myself. And then the market shifts itself back and they shit themselves and go, oh my god, my share portfolio is down. Oh, I better sell it all because I don't want to be left with nothing. And what they don't realize is, you know, they might have gone and bought ten shares, and those ten shares might have been worth a dollar each at the time of purchase, so it was worth ten dollars in total. Their shareport volume might now be valued at five dollars, but they still have those ten shares. And if they rode the roller coaster and waited and didn't buy into this mentality of fear and anxiety that would ride the roller coaster back up. Those ten shares might be worth ten dollars again, and then it might be worth fifteen dollars. In thirty years from now, it's probably worth twenty or thirty dollars. However, if you sold your ten shares for five dollars when the market's down and you wait for the market to re recover, you then have to spend double what you got your shares out for to buy back ten shares at ten dollars again, and it puts you in a position where you're actually shooting yourself in the foot. And we saw it a lot over the last two years because obviously COVID has thrown us in an absolute spin when it comes to the market in general. We saw a lot of people posting our community or message me. But over the last two or three years, while COVID has been happening, two micro investing platforms that are really popular in our community Arrays and Spaceship, and people would get on them with not enough education about the market because they were easily accessible, and then the market would drop and they be like, oh, my Spaceship's doing so badly so I just so all out and I'm out, it's so silly, like investing is not worth it, Like I can't believe that these people talk positively about it. I lost thirty bucks, and you would ask a follow up question and be like, oh, how long were you invested for? Oh, six months? And you'd be like yeah, Like you're meant to invest over the long period. You're meant to invest in things that you understand. And I think one of the things that is really important when it comes to investing is one understand the long term scarcity mindset, understanding whether that's going to shoot you in the foot when something does happen, but also understanding what you're investing in. And often if you're choosing just a microinvesting platform, you just accept the terms and conditions that they have and the portfolio that they've put together without comprehending it, Whereas often I find that people who go to different platforms, like they might go to Chares's and they've picked a specific ETF because it aligns with their values, and they've picked a few direct shares that align with their values, They're less likely to sell out of that because they feel really committed to that cause whether the market is up or down. Whereas if you don't don't fully comprehend what is going on in a portfolio and just download it because you saw somebody else was using it, that's where you're more likely to find yourself in a bit of a pickle or feeling like you just want to get out because you feel like you've lost your money. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely makes sense. Scare dear cats really bad. But no, okay, it's quite clear that I need to absorb all this break because that was a terrible joke. I needed to have a nap, have.
Speaker 4: A nap, have a kit cat? Is that that? That's not even Let's have a break. I am a kick cat.
Speaker 1: So happy that you made a bad joke right after my bad joke.
Speaker 4: That was a good joke.
Speaker 1: I don't know, No, that's true. Don't find me all right, Let's take a break. We'll be back soon.
Speaker 4: This's just delicious.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, feet, I'm so glad we literally had a break and had a kit cat. We did? I treat you right, You're so good to me.
Speaker 4: I should have known the tagline because the tagline it's literally on the packet. I had what did I say, have a nap, have a kickcap.
Speaker 1: It's close enough.
Speaker 4: It's actually better. I don't want to have a break. I want to have a nap.
Speaker 1: A nap exactly right. Who's benefiting from a break? No, anybody have a nap goes straight break.
Speaker 4: A break reminds me of those fifteen minute breaks I got when I was in retail, and I wasn't ever sure what to do with them, because it's not long enough to pop out and get lunch, because by the time you got back your break was over. But it also was too long to just like stand out the back and twiddle your thumbs. You know, absolutely, when you say break, I'm like, I don't want to break the worst fifteen minutes unpaid too. You're just going to make me stand out the back of fifteen minutes. Can't I add my fifteen minutes to my half an hour lunch break and then have a good day.
Speaker 1: No, they never let me do that anyway. Moving on, so very clever though. Now being the break, I was thinking about how I'd like to adopt an abundance mindset. It's good to know that it is possible. Absolutely, it's possible. We can do anything we set our minds too. B Oh my god, that's amazing. Well, let's have a think about it, just in the investment world. How can we change our scarcity mindset to more of an abundance mindset.
Speaker 4: I think that's actually a really important delineation because, as I said before, scarcity mindset could actually exist in any facet of your life. It could be your entire life, it could just be a certain area. But when it comes to investment mindset, I think that's really really important to talk about because it limits what we can create in the future and the financial freedom that you actually deserve. Like, if you're not creating financial freedom or working towards it and you really want to be, you're going to carry a lot of guilt later down the road when you're like, oh my god, I wish I was doing this earlier, or you know, I speak to a lot of people in their sixties who are about to retire because we've just discovered our podcast. They're like, I wish I'd known this when I was younger. I wish I'd pulled my finger out, or I wish I'd put more in my super And I just feel like that's not a position I want anyone in our community to be in And as much as I say, look, you are where you are, life is a journey. And I I know that if I had this education when I was twenty one and got into personal debt, I wouldn't have listened to it. I would have been like, that's call by I'm living my best life. Like my mindset was so different. But if you're open to change and you want to create change, it is entirely possible. You've just got to have the information at the right period of time to facilitate that. And sometimes just having the information isn't enough. You've actually got to want to change. So first I want to talk about I guess how to snap out of that scarcity mindset and the psychology of what's called reframing. So it's taking one situation and changing that view from a negative to a positive. And I think that that can actually be really, really helpful. So instead of saying something like, oh my gosh, like I can't believe I have to get up in the morning and go to work. That's the worst you might change it too, Oh in the morning, I get to go to work. It doesn't always have to be the super sickly sweet amount of positivity. Like, that's actually, from my perspective, unobtainable. I'm not always super sickly sweet, and I don't actually want that in my life because this would be weird. Let's be honest. If I was super positive all the time and I said, oh, instead of I have to go to work in the morning, I was like, oh, my gosh, I love going to work. I'm not gonna believe that. No one reframing it to a take of gratitude to well, I get to go to work. I mean, I'm not super super pumped, but I get to do that, and that's a privilege in itself. I think reframes it to a positive mindset that's not that super sickly sweet. Like do you know what I mean? Because I feel like some people online are like, reframe it to the positive and you're like, no, I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: It's almost like toxic positivity. Would you agree?
Speaker 4: I mean, literally, it is toxic positivity. But the next thing I would do is really focus on what you do have. So scarcity often scares people from making career changes or taking risk because they think there aren't enough opportunities like bet got a new job, therefore I won't get one because like, there's only so many that go around. It's now to to think about the positives that you do have to let you move forward. The next thing I'm going to say controversial, but audit the people around you and surround yourself with positive people. The people around you will really influence you. That quote of you are the some of the five closest people to you, I genuinely believe, and spending time with positive minded people will often have you soon thinking in that same way. This one's a bit sappy, and I know we said no toxic positivity, but practice gratitude. You don't have to be overly sickly sweet about gratitude, which I feel like every influencer and their dog is carping on about, especially because it's new. You knew me, Like, let's write in our gratitude journals. I get it, and I'm not making fun of that. I mean, I am making fun of that, but like, I'm not making fun of that if it works for you, but I also know that it wouldn't work for me. But gratitude has been shown to positively improve mental health and well being. So if you want to create a gratitude or just have a little piece of paper beside your bed. I bought a gratitude journal actually at Kiki k And instead of it being like heaps of pages of empty paper, it's like five little dot points each day and it starts the sentence for you, which I find really helpful because I'm not that good at journaling without prompts. Yeah, so that was really helpful. And if you create a journal and write down five things that you're grateful for every day, it can reframe your life. Literally. The other thing I want to say this is like share them with your partner, share them with a friend, call your mum, call somebody that you care about, and share them and create that accountability. Because Beck, if you and I live together, which would be elite by the way, because I'm a really big cook and you bring the vibes like that would be really good. But if you take those five things and every single day I have an accountability that all right? Every day Beck and I tell each other our five things, do you know what you start doing? You start looking for more?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Things. So if I know or I'm going home tonight and I'm going to tell Beck my five things, and you know what can actually help taking a photo of it, and I know that's really lame. It could be a picture of a kickat on a desk, and that could be one of your positive things. And that five things, I promise will turn into ten because you're consistently looking for more positive things to share. So if I know or I have to take five positive things home to tell beck about tonight, I'm just looking for positive things all day. And the more you start looking for things, the more they start appearing. And this goes back to that manifestation conversation we're having the other day where I said, I don't particularly believe in manifestation because it's all about what you're looking for and those things showing up. And I use the example of the bright yellow Honda Jazz, like, if you think about that as a car, I can't remember seeing one, But if I start telling you to look for one, you're going to see more of them, right, Yes, confirmation by exactly. And so the more you're looking for positive things and the more you have some level of accountability to deliver five or it could be one, like let's just start with one. I need to share the most positive thing that happened today with Beck when I get home instead of going, oh, Beck, how's your day? Oh yeah, Oh my gosh, it was the most stressful thing. Stop talking about that. What was the best thing about your day? Back and you're like, oh, okay, well Victorias knuckout of this recording studio and stole a kick cat for me and brought it back. That was pretty late.
Speaker 1: That is going into my gratitude Gennal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, perfect, But it doesn't need to be these big overarching things, and it could be a really personal gratitude where you go, you know, I'm really grateful for my KitKat. No one else would understand that because it'd be like, what the heck kickat is the worst chocolate ever? Do you know what I mean? Like, I really personal and I think that by practicing gratitude it can actually change your life. And I'm going to stop harping on about it because it's gonna be come some kind of self help podcast. It absolutely shouldn't be. The Next thing I want to talk about is recognizing the possibilities. Again, this feels like a little self help kind of book. I'm not mad about it. Watch out. Brene Brown we're coming for you.
Speaker 1: I'm learning a lot today.
Speaker 4: This is great, but when you recognize the possibilities, it's important to focus on one thing that can train your brain to let other things go unnoticed. So rewire your mind to look for possibilities and solutions instead of letting problems get you down, kind of like the yellow Honda Jazz. If you're looking for it, I promise more of it appears. It is crazy. The same thing happens with opportunities. So if you have your head in the sound, you're like, oh, jobs never come up, bab, You're probably not looking for them, Like you don't have your eyes open, you're not looking for them. But if you start looking for them, I promise they appear in abundance. It is crazy. And then the last thing I'm going to say here is the tunnel vision caused by scarcity mindset actually means other important things end up falling by the wayside. So start escaping that little tunnel you've created by organizing your time or automating some tasks that might actually help you build an abundant future. So that might be actually setting up an auto invest program. So you might have decided to invest, but instead of having to do that each and every single month, you might just set up a direct debit on your app and go all right, well I'm going to do this. I'm just gonna set and forget. This makes sense. This actually puts me in the best possible position. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that completely makes sense. I'm really liking these. I feel like I'm going to go away and practice gratitude and try to not look I am generally a pessimist. I know it may not seem like it. You don't.
Speaker 4: You must be working hard on that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be working hard, especially after this manifest.
Speaker 4: Your Honda Jazz.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's all I've ever wanted is Ayazz, honestly, I promise. Do you know how funny it is though, because we mentioned that a couple of weeks ago on a pod episode. The amount of messages please keep sending them to me though, The amount of messages I've got of people sending photos of Honda jazz is to me that are yellow. I'm like, thanks, babe.
Speaker 4: They're like, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, it was true.
Speaker 1: I saw the story today.
Speaker 4: I'm like, no, no, no, I want I want all your Honda Jazz content. You know what I'm going to start posting all my story, so spare me with your Honda jazz. Is I'm here for if you a yellow Honda Jazz, let's be friends.
Speaker 1: Even better, even better.
Speaker 4: You are manifestation quing. You are the yellow Honda Jazz. That is powerful. V.
Speaker 1: Before you touched on reframing mindset, I'm wondering if we could go a little bit deeper with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, So reframing is actually a super powerful tool that I think I learned about in the first year of psychology, and it's really about reframing a circumstance. And the way I learned about it was in reframing questions to potential clients as a psychologist, where you know they might say something and you want to continue the conversation, but you don't necessarily have a question, so you reframe it and go, Wow, Beck, you just said that you're negative about XYZ, and you kind of reframe what they've just said, so one they feel heard, but two they might elaborate on it from a different perspective, So you might have had a negative take and I might reframe it in a positive light and be like, oh, but it might not have all been bad right, and you go, oh, yeah, well actually, and you might open up about a different facet of that experience that you're explaining to me, because the job of a psychologist isn't actually to just tell you the answers. In fact, the answer has always come from within the client. So it's about reframing it so that maybe you see it from a different perspective and go, yeah, actually, I hadn't thought about it that way, Victoria, Well, actually my mum used to it. Does that make sense to reframe the question. So the idea is that the frame through which a person views a situation really determines their point of view. So they might have rose colored glasses on it everything is hunky dory. They might also have their sunglasses on inside, which makes everything look a little bit darker than it needs to be, and you might want to be like, oh, hey, have you tried these yellow lenses? Like what if we have a look at it from here? So imagine looking through a camera lens. The picture you see can actually be changed depending on what sunglasses you're wearing and what camera lens filter that you put on, or what Instagram filter is on that picture, or what's the beauty filter on TikTok, Like I swear that is not helping anybody else, but by slightly changing what is seen in the camera, the picture is both viewed and experienced differently, And this is really positive if we're changing our mindset, because you can go, oh, I do see that really negatively? What are some tools I eat glasses that I could put on that help me start to see it differently? But it can also change things to negative, right, And this goes back to again I mentioned TikTok. I genuinely feel like the TikTok beauty filter is giving people unrealistic standards of what beauty actually looks like because it's automatic and you just go, wow, there's so many beautiful people on my feed. I can't believe these people always look that good or their skin is always that perfect, etc. Etc. And that is the way you're viewing that circumstance. It's the lens that has been put on that situation, which then determines your point of view. And I think that that is actually a really good example because it's the same as your outlook. So when the frame is shifted, the meaning changes and the thinking and the behavior often changes along with it. So if you can literally put the glasses down or take your sunglasses off while you're inside and maybe put some rose colored or so maybe like yellow tindered ones, they don't look that hot on, but that is okay. I think that that can actually put you in a better position, and choosing to reframe can actually be can be exhausting, like I learned it at university, because it is something that you need to practice and learn. It is not something you can be like, oh yeah, cool, I learn on the podcast about reframing. I now do that all the time. You have to work out it, you have to consistently change it because your mind, as a human being is automatically negative. Like that is human nature. And the reason it is human nature is because we used to be cave people and leaving the cave was a risk. Leaving the cave was a risk. Yeah, we needed food, but it was the risk worth it. Yeah I'm pretty hungry, but also there's bears and stuff out there, and automatically, as a survival instinct, we are negative because the negative actually protects us. And if you grew up in a scarcity mindset, then being negative protects you, right, Like even going don't worry. I'm not going to ask mum for that. That's not worth It is going to translate into you being an adult who doesn't want to spend money on stuff because it gives you anxiety. You're evasive of it. So I think it's really important to understand how that can actually impact you and what that means and choose to reframe it. But that is going to be work. I'm not going to put my rose colored glasses on and be like it's so easy. It can be, But that's why we want to have maybe a daily task of sharing something we're grateful for, or having a gratitude journal, or having something that can put us in that perspective where we're going, all right, I'm moving from scarcity mindset to this, or even just reflecting on your own interactions that day and going wow, like that was negative. How could I have approached that differently, or how would I approach that? To feel like I'm being my best self in this circumstance, I think can actually be really really helpful. And I guess to summarize all of that, the second you can start reframing the way you view investment and how that works. The second you can start creating the financial freedom that I know you all deserve. And I think so many of us limit ourselves because of our ex experiences or our upbringing or the way that we view things, and that might not actually be reality.
Speaker 1: That makes so much sense. It's really really good to see where that kind of mindset comes from. And it's not just because I'm a negative person or whatever else.
Speaker 4: No, absolutely not. It's ingrained in us. It's the way we grew up, and it's a defense mechanism, like being negative is a survival instinct, and often if you have been through some level of trauma or a circumstance that maybe was beyond your control, we revert to being negative. And it makes sense because it's a vile that's how we make our way through the world. But it's now twenty twenty three and we live in this world of abundance and you can create anything you want, but we've actually got to lift that mindset up and put this other mindset on if you actually want to be successful in that realm.
Speaker 1: That's a really good takeaway. I'm going to go out into the world and put my rose colored glasses on. Now that's all we have time for today. V thank you so much for that. Inport, Let's go and have some more kitck cats.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, we're going to take a break and have a kickkat.
Speaker 1: But obviously wrong still, but that's okay with Oh.
Speaker 4: Did I okay? Well, I'll just cancel myself and see myself out. But you know what, I believe I can do it better next time because I have an abundance mindset. There she go. Yeah absolutely, But as always, we would love it if you joined our Facebook group where our community shares money, tips and tricks every single day of the week, free of judgment. So She's on the Money on Facebook and send me your yellow Honda Jazz pictures. I want to see them. If Facebook's not your thing, you and also find us and tag us in your jazz pictures on Instagram. And we're also on TikTok. I mean, I'd love to see a TikTok of all the Honda jazz Is that you saw that were yellow this week. And as always, please don't forget to rate, review and subscribe. It really does help our little podcast. But we will see you on Friday, my friends, have a good day.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 4: Everyone did buy shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied on to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read.
Speaker 3: The PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 4: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sherper p T y lt D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFS L four five one two eight nine