Speaker 1: Hello everyone.
Speaker 2: If you couldn't tell by the title and title, it is Georgina and Jamie.
Speaker 1: Should we just give it a.
Speaker 2: Little intro on who we are first before we jump into the episode.
Speaker 1: I'm Jamie. I'm the brand manager at rn C. Georgina, Hi, I am the social media coordinator at R and C. But also I'm just like a key player in the team. I'm also just that the most valuable for MVP. MVP.
Speaker 2: We are here because we have a really exciting new segment for you, which is called The in Between, Navigating the in Between, So we are going to be talking about all things grief, relationships, friendships, reinventing yourself. Basically, we are both in our twenties, we have both moved into state to the Gold Coast. We've both navigated very similar life challenges such as grief, change of friendships, moving all the things.
Speaker 1: Ending our current, finding our purpose.
Speaker 2: So we really just wanted to bring a segment where we can talk about a lot of topics that are openly asked within our community.
Speaker 1: We see a lot of this in our community. One of the biggest questions we get is how do you guys make friends? How did you find your job? And you guys said that you wanted to hear more from us, So here we are. We've delivered it wishes our commands.
Speaker 2: Really, so today we are going to be talking all about how to make friends as an adult, probably one of the most asked questions that we have, and also not only just making friends, but aligned friends. We obviously, as I just said, moved into state, so we are well versed in this topic.
Speaker 1: Well versed. I feel like this was our first EP for a reason. We can both talk about this underwater because we've been through it and we moved here and had nobody before we get into it and spoil it all. But we are going to give you a few tips and helpful things on how you can make and find a line friendships no matter where you are.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then we're also just going to end the episode with a little bit about how to distance yourself from toxic or unaligned friends and how to navigate that, because I think as you move through different life challenges and stages, sometimes that naturally does mean that some of your friends don't align where the friends are making you feel drained, et cetera. So we're just also going to give you some tips and tricks on how to navigate that as well.
Speaker 1: Let us get into it first of all, why he is making friends as an adult so hard. I feel like when you're a kid, you make so many friends. You go up to someone on the playground and tell them that you're like, they're scrunchy and you're besties. That just doesn't really happen anymore being in your twenties. A lot of the friendships you had from when you were a child and when you're in school, they were all based on you went to the same school, you were in the same sports club, Like these friends were right in front of you, and you kind of had no choice but to be friends with these people. Whereas when you get older, it's you know, you're selecting people based on interests and feelings and conversations you like to have. So it can be really hard to find people in your space that are on the same wavelength as you.
Speaker 2: And I think it's also people are a lot less inclined to just put themselves out there. You have a lot more fear around it. You've got to lean into discomfort, And I think it's also you've got to be really clear on who you are first before you can find friends that align with that. So making sure that you're not just trying to find people that feel right, but really being clear on what.
Speaker 1: That looks like for you. It's fully like dating. Finding new friends is like dating because you can get the ick from some people, you can leave them feeling different ways when you hang out, Like there's so many different parts that go into it, and you're pretty much dating.
Speaker 2: I know, remember the first friendship date we had and we like drove down to Fingle and sat in the current, so like our connection cards, but it was on paper still at the time because we were still testing the yes the topics and we just sat.
Speaker 1: There and got to know each other.
Speaker 2: That's another really good tip is try and evoke the conversations that you want to be having with the people. If you're wanting deep conversations with people, don't just plan to surface level conversations because you won't get to know.
Speaker 1: If this person is a lined for you or not. But also you sometimes you can't go straight in with the hard hitting questions, like you can't be on the first time you've met them, be like, so tell me about you childhood trauma. Like sometimes you go to like.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm like someone who goes real deep, even like in a setting where it's probably you know, like we're out for dinner or something.
Speaker 1: And he's like, just run the backs and I'm like, but I want to know, but I'm all for deep conversations. Like I feel like you and I straight away obviously we work together and we just ride audience. Yeah, yeah, we hit it off and we could sense that we both loved deep conversations and had a bit of that like you know, depth there that we wanted to explore. You know, it's making the other person feel safe to be able to open up and have those conversations, you being equally vulnerable and being able to share stuff. You've got to just kind of sense the energy they're open to it, and then create the environment for that to happen. A coffee walk is a great way to do that. Jim and coffee walk, Gim and coffee wak.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you don't like gym and you don't like coffee and you don't like walking, probably not, but we do.
Speaker 1: So how we do so that to our day.
Speaker 2: So should we get into our top tips on how to actually make friends as an adult?
Speaker 1: Give the people what they want?
Speaker 2: Yes, My first tip is be open to it, but also put yourself in situations where you are going to make connections with people. Don't just wait for someone to come up to you and spark a conversation. If you want to make friends with people, you're going to have to lean into the discomfort. You're going to have to spark conversations, See how the interests aligned, see how you vibe. Because I think a lot of people like, oh, I can't meet anyone, but then when they're at gym, they're not talking to anyone, or when they go out, they're not talking to anyone new. And if you're doing that, you're probably not going to meet anyone new. So really putting yourself in situations where you will make those connections and you will find friends and figure out who aligns with you and who doesn't, rather than just waiting for people to come up to you and start a conversation.
Speaker 1: Because you're gonna have slim picks if you do that, slympic and slimlymp like it's but also being comfortable that it's going to be uncomfortable because it's like dating, it's going to be awkward, like it's going to be it's going to push out of your comfort zone. You might feel a little bit like scared or nervous, but when you do something like that, when you're a bit uncomfortable and on the other side, it's really rewarding. You always feel so good, Like even at a few social events we've been to, or even our Rise or Rise and Conquer community events, like when someone comes up to you and they're like hi, and then you just start chatting and you're like instantly besties and you feel so confident and like good around each other. Yeah, go home on a little high. Yeah, it's such a nice feeling. So yeah, yeah, I agree. I definitely think you need to kind of set an intention to be uncomfortable and get ready to put yourself out.
Speaker 2: There, and also like be open to where you might meet those people. Like shout out Kayla, our beautiful eyebrow lady. We met her through getting our eyebrows done and we just hit it off and we were so open to making friends and we formed such a beautiful connection which has now grown into such a good friendship. So like, don't be shut off to where you might meet those friends or meet those people as well, and don't put any expectations on it because the best friendships come from the natural occurrences.
Speaker 1: Yes, which kind of leads into what I was going to say about being yourself from the beginning, because I know, you know, like when Jamie and I both moved to the Gold Coast having not really any friends here and no one here, and know you hear about like the run clubs and like all these different things, which it can be so good to put yourself in those environments, yourself out there. But if that's not aligned with you, if you actually don't like running and you've got bad knees, don't go to a run club to make best because they're all going to want to run all the time and it's not you. So be yourself from the beginning, so you don't have to keep holding up a facade or do things that you don't like do activities. Go to environments that align with you and who you are, and that's where you'll be best friends.
Speaker 2: Or even if you're like only going out to meet people at bars and you don't like staying up late or drinking, probably don't go there. So making sure where you're going is aligned to the people that you want to find.
Speaker 1: Hey, what is some good places that you'd go to make friends.
Speaker 2: Well, for me personally, because I love gym and pilates and those sorts of things, I think they're great places to make friends.
Speaker 1: And also I know there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: I haven't personally doubled in this, but there's a lot of wholesome events like especially on the Gold Coast that are being run these days, or for example, the end of last year, I went to one of Grace's events and it was all business owners, So then you meet a lie of people aligned to your interest within those events. So also investing in things like that where it's people who are on a similar journey as I think that's a big thing, is people who are aligned to the journey that you're on and where you are going and where you want to go, and finding inspiration within those people as well who are going to lift you up and kind of help you along in that way. Because it's also you want to have friends around you who will match your vibe and your energy and also support you in the journey that you want to take in life, because it can be really hard if you're around people who have very different interests or they're not really going in the same direction as you and then you're just feeling underligned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which will probably get into more later when we speak about how to remove yourself from toxic friendships. Them out of here, get them out of get them out of here. That's a great point. Thank you. Totally not what I was just going to say, because I got going out on the doctic friendship. Yeah. I think there's lots of networking events, lots of things that you could go to and try again. Obviously it's uncomfortable, but it would be so worth it, and lots of people go to those things alone. Like you'd be surprised, you know, like dating, you could be like, oh, is there anyone even out there that is my match or is compatible with me? There definitely is. There's lots of people in the same boat. We know because we get the community messages of all the girlies and people when you come to our events. Yeah. Yeah, Like I really just wanted to meet some friends and they're definitely out there. The hope is not gold. There's plenty of friends fiction to see. You know. What else I have heard is really good.
Speaker 2: Never tried it for myself, so don't take my word for it, but Bumble has a friendship section where you can go and match with people exactly like dating that want to be friends. I've heard of people around the Gold Coast who had just moved here fresh and were struggling to make friends and then they've got a group of best friends they met on bumble.
Speaker 1: Now, well it makes sense. And even I've had like a couple of girlies from our community message to me, but hey, maybe to the Gold Coast like would love to go for a coffee walk or whatever, which I'd be so down for. I feel like a lot of people would be. That's why our community. I don't have a whole lot of time, so maybe not, but I feel like that's why our community is so great. We have a lot of people in there, so if you know, a great space would be our communities, our Facebook group or even rise Society.
Speaker 2: We are actually looking at doing more event meetups throughout the year in different locations so that people can meet aligned friends because our community is just wanting to meet people who are into self growth and personal development and manifestation and be able to have conversations with people that they're actually interested in having. So we are looking at doing more meetups this year. Yeah, let us know what cities you'd like us to come to.
Speaker 1: Let us know. Preferably do some cities outside of the Gold Coast so Jamie and I can get a free dress perfectly. Do some cities in Europe, so I think Italy. We'd love to hang.
Speaker 2: Out specifically in first class anyhow air hostess. So yeah, they would be my place, as we went off with a tangent there, But gyms and kind of events where you're going to meet people, where would be your places?
Speaker 1: I would probably go to like a sweet little bath house, silent, like a social bath house, or even like this beautiful cafe that I go to in crumb And Valley that has a nice view and a lot of people go there by themselves and like read and like get a cup of cacao or something like that would be really cute across the yeah, and be like what are you working on? And I wouldn't do that. But have you ever starked a conversation? Then yeah, I'm I feel like I'm pretty. I've heard you're quite the quite the social butterfly, the socially style. I like to make friends wherever I go, but then don't have time to see them. Sorry, I'll make friends with you. Please don't want to hang out with me. No, I can't even reply to know. But I have time for everybody. But I feel like it was a really great experience for me moving here and not really having anybody because it proved to me. And I know this sounds really silly, but I'm an interesting of enough person that I can make a lot of friends And it's actually not that hard, Like once you get over all the limiting beliefs and you know, being scared and fearful of rejection or whatnot, when you do it, you feel so good and you're like, wow, I can make friends.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I'm actually pretty cool people like me. Yeah, don't you think when you moved you kind of discovered who you actually were because there was no preconceived ideas of who you were. You got to fully just step into who you were and discover that so then you could make those connections super aligned to who you were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, finding friendships in inspiring places like with work, because you are, you know, the average of the five people that you hang around most great decision getting some inspiring expensive friends because I feel like it's really expensive friends. I have some great idea getting some rich friends. That's a great idea too, though, expansive friends, because I feel like it's not only benefited me in terms of like friendships, but also my mindset, my life, you know, like how I feel. So I think that's a hot tip. Get a job in a really fun office. Yeah. No, I think we're really lucky to with who we work with. We are very you would be. We're blessed. We're just such great people.
Speaker 2: A big team of us, you know, everyone that we work with. We have such aligned people. We surround our community like we have.
Speaker 1: I feel like, even though we're not like physically in person hanging out all the time, it's the energy you're surrounded with, theirs, their best, the communities you hang out with. It's even like the content you consume in certain communities, Like it's all of that and the support and the women or men you have around you makes the difference, makes such a big difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're are top hot tips to making friends with an adult. Now let's get into how to sever I'm not gonna say sever that's a bit.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 2: How to deal with people who are unaligned or toxic friendships in the way that it feels draining, you don't feel like you can be yourself. There's a lot of drama, those sorts of things. I think this is also such an important part of then stepping into making friends with aligned people, because if you're stuck in unaligned friendships, you don't really have space to make aligned friends. So how you can kind of navigate that, what that looks like, what kind of unaligned and toxic friendships feel like as well? So I think the first thing is if some real telltale signs if you are kind of in an unaligned or toxic friendship is leaving a conversation or a catch up and feeling drained or anxious and overthinking everything.
Speaker 1: That you said. It's the worst, that's the worst. That's horrible. No, that's just not for me, No, it's not. And like just feeling you've had the life sucked out of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or like you constantly tiptoeing around them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the worst. If you're like, oh, I can't say that or wear that, I'll do that because they'll be angry or you'll be this like making yourself less, shiny or small for anyone else. I've actually this is dimming yourself. That's a big one crazy, but I've been I'm currently watching Gossip Girl for like the fourth time in my life. Honestly, the best show to read, the best show. And also my boyfriend David is obsessed with it. It's hilarious. That's very it's very deaf coded boyfriends. Also my bestie, one of the girls, one of the girls. We just watched the episode where Serena was like doing this fashion show and Blair like trying to stich he remember the one and she literally one of her friends said to Serena, stop like dulling yourself down for Blair. If she was your true friend, she'd want you to shine and she'd want to support you and just sher life motto there, good job Gossip Girl is so educational. Good job Gossip Girl life mottos from Gossip Girl. Yes, I think that's a big one. If you feel like you can't be yourself, there's a lot of drama. You feel like there's a lot of gossip or bitching.
Speaker 2: Competitiveness too, yeah, call jealousness, or you feel like you can't share your wins because they'll be like jealous or envious.
Speaker 1: Icky.
Speaker 2: You want people to bring you up, support you, like a really healthy friendship are ones that make you feel seen, supported, heard, cheer you on, Like all of my best friends feel like my biggest cheerleaders.
Speaker 1: Nobody's got time to feel like that anymore. Hey, Like we're adults now, we're not in high school. Nobody wants to feel jealous or competitive or like roast by friends. No, we're not here for that anymore.
Speaker 2: No, So, if you are navigating that, there's obviously a few ways you can go about it.
Speaker 1: One of those ways.
Speaker 2: Is distancing yourself and focusing on other places. Obviously what you focus on expands. It depends how you kind of want to go about it. And if you feel like it needs to be a friendship breakup or it just feels like it's going to naturally fade.
Speaker 1: Out, would you say a slow fade? A slow fade. I don't feel like it needs to be like, hey, we're breaking up to it and I can never see you again.
Speaker 2: You can like, your energy is yours and only you can control where it goes. So really figuring out where you want to put that energy, and if you keep trying to make these people feel better or like you more, or you know, trying to tiptoe around them, and make them really happy. Maybe just redirect your energy and focus on places where you're feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like pull away for a while, put in less effort and see how you feel. If you notice yourself since not seeing them for a few weeks, you feel less nervous or anxious or whatever it is. I mean, there is your evidence that you need to continue on with that. And I think also another one is if you start pulling back and stop putting in so much effort and you don't see each other, Yeah, well there's your sign. That there's your sign. One of my friends, Jackie and I we used to have this saying with boys. Actually we developed it when we were in our boy dating era when we were younger, and we call it dot fo and it's dropped off the face of the Oh, yes.
Speaker 2: I've had this one. I remember you tried to bring it into the office that I said, it doesn't need to be.
Speaker 1: Here, get rid of it. I still use it in common language.
Speaker 2: I know it rolls off your vote. It's great, but I hated titter for at the start. And now yeah, so we're really segueing, but is taking it too far? I love a good What do you call these acronyms. I love a good acronym. Often try and bring them in from my past life and Jenny rejects them. Anyway, I have a point, just feels unnecessary.
Speaker 1: They had a bit of fun and I would love it. So dot vote drop from the face of the earth. If you put in less effort and they dot vote or you said yeah, if you put in less effort, sorry, looks at you for confliments. Ye, like I should know. So if you put in less effort and they drop off the face of the earth, you don't hear from them. I mean, like it's one one sided friendship. You need that.
Speaker 2: And it feels like almost a lot of the time those kinds of frien chips are like that, and there's one person feeling unaligned in the friendship, but they're the ones making.
Speaker 1: All the efforts.
Speaker 2: Like eight times out of ten, yeah, and you're just trying out of ten, what's to do that?
Speaker 1: I just the room, pol the room. It's eighty percent.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say nine times out of ten, but I was like, I can think there might be two people.
Speaker 1: Out of ten, like six it will be like that.
Speaker 2: So I think just sometimes you can just redirect your energy.
Speaker 1: You definitely can.
Speaker 2: But let's go into friendship breakups tough one. If you are feeling like a friendship doesn't align and this does happen, it does happen where you get to a point where you're like, I just need space, this doesn't feel right, just like you would with a partner, and you are then do that with friendships. Here is your permission slip. So we wanted to give you some ways to frame that or go about it so that if you are navigating something like that, you've got the AMMO.
Speaker 1: Tell me if you were going to break up with me, which you never would, what actually something we're prepared only at What would you say to me? How would you say it?
Speaker 2: I would probably just be like, I'd love you so much, thank you so much for the friendship, but I feel like we're going on different paths and maybe our futures aren't aligning as much as our past has. Thank you so much for everything. I'm leaving.
Speaker 1: No, but just you know, like it doesn't have to be like aggressive or bitchy. It can be like, you know, I value the time we've had together in our lives and the friendship and your support. I just really feel like, I'm you know, going on a different path and I'm being really cautious with my energy and who's in my circle, and I just like we're in different stages right now.
Speaker 2: Well, even if it's just more so you need to step back because you're putting a lot of energy into someone who doesn't feel aligned. It can just be you know, I'm going to focus on me. I'm taking a step back. Thank you so much for being you. Like, if you really need anything, I'm here.
Speaker 1: And you can always set intentions and expectations and be like, hey, I just want to let you know I'm actually not as available to hang out anymore. You know, if you wanted to, not like cold Turkey, you can always communicate. I think the communication is such a big thing, and be like, I've just been feeling a little bit like this. I'm actually you know, quite busy. I don't have a whole lot of time at the moment. I want to be really careful with my energy. So I've decided that i just can't really hang out as much anymore. You know, I'm just going to be focusing on me for a little bit. Communicate, set intentions because yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's like also people deserve that communication. If you just kind of if it's someone you're really close with and talking to a lot, and you just pull away and give them no expectations, they're going to be left wondering what they've done, and it's better to just check in with them and be like, hey, I'm just focusing on me right now.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be less available. Love you, love you, love you. You can do it with grace. I feel like you can any compassion. Yeah, you can break up a friendship with grace because it's also you don't know where they are or what they're thinking. Oh that's the you know, two people in a friendship. So we're just all about the compassion and kindness, all about the open communication.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that just about wraps up the episode for today. We hope that that was helpful. We know we get a lot of questions about that. So thank you so much for tuning in, Thanks for listening to a little old GG and JJ and JJ. We will be back in your ear in your ear holes, so stay tuned for the next episode. We're going to be talking all about reinventing yourself, the rebrand, the rebrand, how to change your life and yourself.
Speaker 1: Based off the fact that we both again moved away away, whole new jobs, whole new lives, and we just thought we often get questions, so we're going to take you through that whole process. But also if you have any other topics requests that you want to hear us chit chatty about, please let us know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, drop into our DMS, drop it in the Rise community Facebook group wherever you're feeling called yeah, let us know because we created this segment for you guys to chat about the things that you guys want to know more about. But we will chat to you in our next episode. We won't be the next episode, but our next episode.
Speaker 1: If we keep going this way and you guys love it, we'll probably just kick out and we might take over. All right, Well, thank you so much, guys, have the best rest of your day. Should we have like a cute sign off? Should we l? What? Three? Two? Bye? Bye bye