Speaker 1: The flex in Rooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 2: Look to the podcast.
Speaker 3: Flexi, yet again is jumping onto the soap box to absolutely slay your ears with something irritating.
Speaker 4: I'm rantant again, but this rant would not have happened if we all agreed that to be nice is the bare minimum. And also, you've mentioned before how you hate the idea of policing people telling people what to do. I actually don't mind it, but.
Speaker 3: You thrive on it. I'd say, like yeast and bacteria, but only.
Speaker 4: Because I just feel like I would prefer that to be direction than no direction at all. And I do respect that with every new interaction, you have to set a new standard. What was appropriate yesterday might not be appropriate today. And that's what I'm finding with this real estate issue. Is it a blunder? Is it a two time irritation or is it a standard we're setting where men can just walk into my house with no consequence? I think not.
Speaker 3: And you know what, flex, Everybody's going to listen to the podcast next week because I have it on good authority that we're gonna get a really stat agent into the studio.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, anyway, off your pop you going to fight me?
Speaker 4: I was saying that I don't know what this behavior is classed as, but this incident with the people walking into my house, I'm quick to report like I'm going back to the real estate and being like this random person walked into my house. Hated it, very uncomfortable. But I think the thing that really sends people over the edge is that when they're in the house, I'm still being polite, so like they're thinking they're getting away with them and they're like, oh, you know, I'm so sorry. I'm like, no, it's totally fine. Then you snitch. Can I snitch hit them with the one too?
Speaker 2: I hate that.
Speaker 3: I hate you think you're getting away with something. You're getting through the red light.
Speaker 4: You get little call for your boss. Hey mate, Oh yeah, I do it again. Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Flex and frooms FLEXI.
Speaker 3: The other day, I popped my live show, Cherry. I made my very own live show.
Speaker 4: Which is huge. Congrat space.
Speaker 2: Thanks honey.
Speaker 3: It's weird when you do something in your career that is like a stepping stone. It doesn't feel big at the time, but this was big for me because it's like, I love doing performing. This show is a bit of a performance, but actually striking out and doing something live in front of people with a live audience is no racking.
Speaker 4: What was a crowd like, wellly twenties, late twenties.
Speaker 3: There was actually a mix because it was part of a festival at Hotter, which is home of the arts in the Gold Coast. So I was looking on the crowd. The vibe was sleepover. So essentially my shows.
Speaker 4: You had a little monogrammed, embossed.
Speaker 3: Embossed little robe saying ceo fruit is.
Speaker 4: It monogram the word embroidered, embroidered.
Speaker 3: All caps cursive or caps cursive, CEO frooms on my back and yeah, it was called Bestie. So it was a show with my friend Louis Hansen, and it was kind of like a bestie sleepover early two thousand and five. So the way we did the show, as you say, two ky, the show was basically like a one hour thing.
Speaker 2: We'd get we'll get up.
Speaker 3: We made a little song intro that we came. We told each other a secret that we hadn't told anyone before, and then we did petty tea where people would send in the most petty things ever done. And I shared my dad's petty tea and I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Tell you about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been giving the ex boyfriends a lot of airtime in the past few weeks. And it's not because I think about them all the time. I just it's interesting content.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's contextual. It happens. I can't relate, but it can be avoided.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: My dad is an interesting character, good for certain things. When it comes to telling a story in a high stress environment that's like a live environment.
Speaker 2: He's quite good at it.
Speaker 3: Like I used to do live dates, he'd come on, be witty and be weird in the right way. And basically he told a story about I had an ex boyfriend once that had broken up with me and my.
Speaker 2: Dad literally, what are you thinking? What are you thinking?
Speaker 3: My dad was driving around in his tow truck because he's a car dealer with one of his employees, and they're scooting along the road and he spots my ex boyfriend we've been broken up for a month, and Dad parks the car, gets out of the car, sees the ex boyfriend walk into a milk bar. Dad walks into the milk bar, standing behind my ex boyfriend. The ex boyfriend turns around and sees him and goes ah Steve, and Dad's standing there saying hey, go and Xyz then walks out of the shop with him. So the ex boyfriend's like, did you buy anything, because he's obviously thinking Dad's gone in to buy something. No, he just went in to intimidate and scare on your behalf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then left.
Speaker 3: Sweet and his friend was like, why did you go in there? You didn't bring me back any snacks. Dad said, nap, I had a job.
Speaker 4: It's an employer a friend. Yeah, this is true.
Speaker 2: I feel like you've played I always do at up.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but yes, I talked about that on the show and that went down quite nicely with the audience. I would say it was a very positive experience having a live show. I loved it and I look forward to doing many more.
Speaker 4: What was the worst part of the whole experience, need light and shade.
Speaker 3: Probably knowing how to wrap it up like the worst part, Yeah, because it was a very loose show, so knowing how to exit the stage when it's like quite a small intimate crowd felt weird. It was like, I don't know how to say barter people in real life.
Speaker 4: Well as you've taught us, you say, oh my God, I'm obsessed. Okay, God bless you by haha.
Speaker 3: You taught us that, so I kind of did like a dancing interprety vibe of that.
Speaker 2: So if you're there and you're.
Speaker 3: Watching it, it'll be better next time.
Speaker 2: But otherwise it was a slagh.
Speaker 4: In that moment, You're like, I'm just gonna dance off. That'd be the most appropriate. Nobody thinks like you. It's incredible.
Speaker 3: Instincts do not exist in the frim averse. You heard it hear first. Yeah, that sounds incredible.
Speaker 4: I want to go next time, but not going to go to Gold Coasts or your Sydney show. Yeah, something like cute pull you.
Speaker 2: Up onto the stage for a little cameo.
Speaker 4: No, I would have prefer to just point at me very regularly, just reference me in jokes and conversations.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms on DA.
Speaker 4: If you've ever had the urge to pack up your life, disappear into the night and start afresh and talking new name, new look, new location, there is a whole company for you. And this goes back to my point. There's so much stuff in the world, so many services, and yet these are the ones I want to see more of. These ones that tackle very unique problems that actually affect more of the population than you think. So if this resonates with you, I need you to go to Google or actually whatever browser user. If you pop an up ekosa, does being still exist? Yahoo? Las, look up Night Moving companies. They help you one hundred disappear, start a new life, and take care of all the logistics like creating a new identity and background, social circle, and even give you a secret place to hide and move your stuff all confidentially. They're mostly popular in Japan, but they are allegedly coming to North America and Europe slowly. Obviously, I'm gonna say this is not for everyone's tax bracket. This you feel like a very premium service, and I'm not really sure it's for you know, the casual. I don't want to be perceived anymore, so I'm going on private Instagram vibe. I think it's more dire than that, but it's good to know that the option exists.
Speaker 2: Right, And is it for people who've done crimes?
Speaker 4: Mind your business? Like, do they have to work for the cops all of a sudden, have they done a crime?
Speaker 3: I'm calling the authorities?
Speaker 4: Love it could be for anyone. I'm sure it's a ton of things, and I think with enough with If your problems are big enough and your budget is big enough, then this service is for you. It doesn't matter what you've done.
Speaker 3: And how do they do it all of a nighttime.
Speaker 4: Baite, you're asking too many questions for a confidential service. Okay, if you want to email them for a quote during your personal experience, you can do so.
Speaker 2: Tricking they exist in Australia. No, I don't like it.
Speaker 3: What I don't like shifty people be real, don't don't tell lies or deceit.
Speaker 4: I for one stand shifty people gotta do what you gotta do. You're a shifty queen.
Speaker 1: This is flex and Frooms.
Speaker 3: I will never stop talking about how I am a Karen again. It's self protection mechanism for whenever I'm called out doing something Karen esque. You can't be like she was a Karen all along, because I'm owning it quite like I'm owning selling out.
Speaker 4: Do you think that people who are aware of who you are, like Frooms but not from radio, know that you're a Karen. Does your Instagram audience and you're a Karen.
Speaker 3: No, but we're cultivating a new audience on kit I'm going through a bit of a rebrand in some.
Speaker 4: Respects, more Karen, less creative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: I went on a plane a few weekends ago, which you know is a bit of a trigger zone for me. The plane is where the Karen's what's the male Karen?
Speaker 4: Greg, Steve Greg, Steve, Craig, male Karen.
Speaker 3: It's Karen and Craig.
Speaker 4: I don't know anyone. People can't seem to agree on the male version of a Karen, so it's still, of.
Speaker 3: Course they can't. I'm gonna call him Craig. When you're in an airport, it's a very fraught environment. I had an almost Karen experience coming home from the Gold Coast.
Speaker 2: It's just sprang into my mind right.
Speaker 4: At this point.
Speaker 3: I was going to tell you about how on the plane I kept myself with the arm rest. I deliberately choose an F seat so I'm not having to commandeer both.
Speaker 2: Arms with rests.
Speaker 3: However, coming back from the Gold Coast, I was tested walking through the terminal clippity clop, going through the what's called when you go through the scanner security screenner. Walking through the security screening section, I approached the man.
Speaker 2: This is Gold Coast Airport.
Speaker 3: So they've got like the like baskets that you put your stuff in underneath and you pull them out and put them on top. I go to pull mine out. My hands are full. I got two bags. I got a coffee. He's like, what's inside that coffee cup?
Speaker 4: An employee?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said coffee. He said, you know, drink literally a you can drink it now. And I said, He's like, is it full? And I was like yes. He's like, we can't take it, so you can't. Yeah, you better drink it right now. And I said, okay, well I'm not going to drink it right now. Do you have a bin? It's like, no, I'm not putting that in my bin. There's a bin over there. Leave the line, trot around, get back in line. That was Karen on his behalf, but I was matched with an opposite Karen, and.
Speaker 4: I realized, mat just romantic. This is awful.
Speaker 3: I don't want anyone to be on the receiving end of my Karen.
Speaker 4: What do you think made you feel worse about it? The fact that he was telling you to do something you didn't want to do, or like his supposed attitude.
Speaker 3: It was probably his tone because if you just said oh no, sorry, you didn't even actually have to apologize, you'd be like, oh, you're not allowed to do that. But there's a bin over there if you just want to pop over. But he's like, you're gonna drink her. He had Karen style attitude. So I thought, I'm not going to try and deem myself because he's not my people. So I got back in the line and I went down to the other lady, and I came to her humbled, and it was a nice stat A humbling experience, isn't it? And good to learn that being a Karen makes other people feel bad. So to that man, I'm going to tell you to adjust your tones. It's been a really hard time for the travel industry. It's very stressful. But did you need to make me feel so small with my little coffee in hand?
Speaker 4: Now, let us cast our minds back to when you were beefing with your fellow passengers on the flight.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't even think about it.
Speaker 4: Now, you in the middle seat, fighting people for the arm rest, exciting for my life, that's my arm rest. I'm sorry. Guys in his group chat fighting for his life, be like, why am I sat next to this woman who wants to fight me about a communal arm rest?
Speaker 2: It's not communal, but I digress.
Speaker 4: Thank you for sharing that. Always appreciate you incriminating yourself for the entertainment of me.
Speaker 2: That's okay. I'm just learning. I'm just learning to be humbled.
Speaker 1: It's quite nice you're listening to flex and frooms on Kada.
Speaker 4: I'm putting on a brave face and behind this beautiful smile and perfectly hurled ponytail, you would not know that I was going through personal.
Speaker 2: Trials and tribulations. What's going on?
Speaker 4: Four weeks now, I've been having a bit of a one sided beef with my real estate agent. I guess it's not really one sided in the sense that I've been very active in my disappointment with how things have been going promised renovations. The carpets need to be ripped up and replaced. The dimmers don't work. But in addition to that, there have been like various leaks due to the flooding, things that can't be controlled, but definitely fixed or addressed sooner than later, so they don't, you know, get worse before we address them again. But the issue is that on two occasions now, some random builders have just let themselves into my apartment and you might be thinking, why is your door unlocked? On both occasions, I'm currently moving in, so I'm like taking things out of the house going in, and the entrance to my door is separate from the rest of the apartment. It's my own entrance. Therefore I'm the only one who can get in and out from there. So it's the same thing people like. I hear them knock, knock, knock, knock, knock and then let themselves in. Here's my thing, aside from the fact that that it's not allowed. I had to go back to basics with myself because as I was drafting this very scathing email, and then I thought to myself, what would my mum do? And probably not that I'm trying to choose kindness because I can be a bit brutal and nobody needs to be abused over email. So I didn't send the email at all. But in thinking about what I was going to say, I kept going back to knocking etiquette. Since when does a knock mean I'm I'm entering? A knock is an alert to let you you know that somebody is there, and then you, the person in the house, is meant to open the door.
Speaker 3: No, yes, horror.
Speaker 4: I cannot imagine a world. Maybe I can. I think that I can imagine this in terms of living in your parents' homes and they knock and just open the door, like knock, knock, doock. I'm letting myself in because I own this property and you just happen to live here. But generally, if I'm talking like living with housemates or at an office, you knock for someone to give you permission to come in and they might say, yeah, come in, and then you open not a knock, and I'm just opening doors.
Speaker 3: So the issue is that people are doing that to.
Speaker 4: Your part, Yes, knocking and letting themselves in in what world? Like in what world are you pulling up to a stranger's house knocking and then touching the door handle? Yeah, none of this. It's coming on like I just And the thing that's getting me is I feel like I sound insane having to type that out an email.
Speaker 3: Now you know what it is giving me flashbacks of when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: It's trades.
Speaker 3: People don't do this, Oh okay. Once two thousand and five getting renovations.
Speaker 4: Huh, how do you know it's two thousand and five, because.
Speaker 3: My memory is a diamond, great skill. And we had a builder called Ken and Marshall Ken Marshall and they it was a vehic.
Speaker 2: We edited like we went to VCaP with them, because I don't know what that is.
Speaker 3: It's like the Victorian court system because they like didn't finish the work.
Speaker 4: Oh well, like hriable c.
Speaker 3: It was a court case whoa heavy ass one of the many court cases of our family in the early two thousands. Essentially, we had a builder and when me and my mom and my sister were home of the weekend and stuff, Dad was out working. He would just let himself in and Mum would be like in the kitchen and she'd just see him walk into the hallway.
Speaker 2: He would yeah. Just so I understand it.
Speaker 3: But I think it's when p people know they have a job, your house is the job site. Yes, I believe they feel more inclined to just get in there.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I can totally understand in theory, like that makes sense to me. But what I'm struggling to understand is why I'm having to explain my perspective to my real estate agent, like I already had to hit them with, like you already know I live here alone as a young woman. Why are you letting random men, multiple men, just walk into my house all day and not pulling them up on it. And I understand this is their place of work, but this isn't my home, Like you know what I'm saying, like I live here, it needs to be safe, and also like it's mine, I'm giving you permission to lend permission to somebody else to knock on the door and invite themselves in. But realistically, I feel like it's super patronizing for me to have to explain that to them. But I feel like they're trying to shirk responsibility by making it feel like, oh, you know, well he did knock, And I'm like, exactly, so that's the excuse. It's going back to what he knocked. And I'm like and I'm like, I don't know if I show you the video I took of the first guy who was in my house with no shoes on the phone looking at some random corner in the wall and I'm like, hey, you're in my house. He's like, oh sorry, mate, One second pass on the phone, like I'm the hassle.
Speaker 3: I love the sorry mate, like, no sorry to me, And it's I think what's frustrating me is the point I made earlier, where the thing that's getting me is that, like, I'm assuming that etiquette is a social norm, Like, he should know that it's inappropriate to just let himself into my house.
Speaker 4: Right, but he does not know that because etiquette is no longer a social normal. It hasn't been a norm for so long. And I was hypothesizing in my little brainy about the last conversation we had about you know, whether we could identify a difference between nice, kind, or good, and if we could create like definitions for each of them, which we did, and it was your definitions of the three in particular that became the basis of that conversation, and through that people were saying they found that nice was overwhelmingly disingenuous because it was very superficial and more concerned with the perception rather than the reality of how you feel. So to be nice is to disregard how you feel in favor of what is considered to be normal. In my head, I'm like, and.
Speaker 2: So be it.
Speaker 4: The comments on the videos wherever we posted them was the same sentiment. I don't want to be called nice. Nice as offensive. There are so many other things to be nice is a waste of a trait to have.
Speaker 3: I don't trust people that comment on public posts because you know that you're being perceived, so you're not being honest, You're crafting this.
Speaker 4: It was, honestly, it felt like.
Speaker 3: I don't know, so I just I don't not like you.
Speaker 4: Oh no, they know. Next minute. It just felt like we getting to that territory of like who can be the most contrarian here. I often feel that people think that I am trying to catch them.
Speaker 2: Out, yes, because you don't all the time get to you.
Speaker 4: Yes. When I'm asking a broad question like do you know that, like how would you define nice? Kind of good? Everyone thinks I have like an answer like a like it's a trick question, and I'm just like, I'm comparing three very positive things to be referenced as I promise you. I'm not like, don't say you want to be called kind, because kind is terrible anyway. My point is because people have this perception that to be nice is to be disingenuous. I think that dovetelling to the fact that etiquette is not seen as necessary because it's not honest, right, People Like, what's the point in having etiquette if I'm just like betraying what I really feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's not all about you.
Speaker 3: So when I say to them, get it a little bit of decorum period.
Speaker 4: So I'm trying to figure out how I can bring it back. I need to like start a camp of.
Speaker 2: Some sort, open an etiquette school.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm trying to think it out what etiquette looks like in twenty twenty one and what is considered to be necessary because it needs to consider digital etiquette as well. I'm like, it's the wild West out there.
Speaker 3: Let's create a guide like kas Cook's Girl Stuff Guide, but for the Internet, literally for young people entering the World Wide Way.
Speaker 4: There's something that I'm working on it. The other thing we need to wrap up because we could go on forever. But I feel like people were saying that, like the reason like they don't want to be nice anymore is because they were once people pleases and nice people often don't know how to be assertive. I'm like, I'm the most assertive bitch in the building. Like I'm ready to be confrontational at any given moment, and I still recognize the value of being nice. What what are your excuses? You know what I'm saying. Everyone's like, I'm not passive enough to be nice. Huh what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, to be honest as someone who is nice but not kind nor good.
Speaker 4: That's hotty behavior.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 4: I want to tell you about this some more McDonald's news for you. Who said that? Someone did I say McDonald's instead of McDonald's, And I was like, that's so true. But what is mack? I's not Mac. You know what's MC mean? It's just I mean that.
Speaker 2: They encourage it with a big mac exactly.
Speaker 4: But South Korea has been particularly oh just Korea generally has been particularly good with managing its waste and ensuring that its citizens and its community is a lot more mindful about how they are creating waste and how they're disposing of it. Recently, at McDonald's they stopped serving single use cups and instead, if you are eating in at McDonald's, you get given these plastic like kinking kin kin kink clear cups to use, and then when you're done you put them back at the station, they get washed and then you know, you go pick up another one when you want use it.
Speaker 2: Genius.
Speaker 4: And I was thinking, I can't think of anything I'd rather do less than use a reusable cup in McDonald's. I'm already not even eating in, but if I was too, some cafeteria style, this is going in the dishwasher. They're coming back out. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: Don't you remember though, when McDonald's US have the trays when you eat in? Does that still happen? I swear it doesn't. They don't give you trays anymore.
Speaker 4: Maybe they don't you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's been a while.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't eat it in. Do you get it in?
Speaker 3: You'd get a tray with a little piece of paper on the top, which would have like McDonald's.
Speaker 4: What do they get now just to take away?
Speaker 2: Are sure? They just get a bag?
Speaker 3: So if I eat in, I'm ripping the bag and making a little bag plate.
Speaker 4: But also shout out to Korea because in I would say, like in a couple of years, they they went from recycling two percent of their food waste to ninety five percent because they have this pay as your recycle program, So each household has to physically pay to get rid of its waist. So you take you like acculate your trash across the week, and then you take it down stairs to your recycling machine, and as you put in your rubbish, it charges you. So you become more mindful about what you consume, how you consume, because're gonna pay for it.
Speaker 2: That is the smartest thing ever.
Speaker 3: It's like when you run out of storage on Gmail. I'm going through a bit of an issue ninety eight percent full, so ione I have to start paying for using up all this digital space.
Speaker 4: Like the rest of us space.
Speaker 3: But I will say Korea is a sleigh as a country, as a place South Korea.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been? No, you love it? You love it.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like an alternate It kind of has Japan vibes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people do say that often, but I wonder how Koreans feel about that, like the appeals that it's like Japan.
Speaker 3: I reckon, it's like New Zealand and Australia if you're not from the Southern hemisphere, thinking we're brethren, when really I've never been in New Zealand. I should go yeah, oh yeah, we could totally go.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flegs and Frooms Daily podcast for more She needs k on Dab, stream it on iHeartRadio,