Speaker 1: Thursday, here on the pickup with Britt, Laura and Mitch head into Chemists warehouse Today. You get great savings every day.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to you guys today about the original stand documentary that has just come out called Revealed Daniel Ladley Two Tribes Now. It's a documentary that looks at Daniel Laidley's two worlds colliding. And when I say two worlds, that's in reference to the two tribes in the title. This is Danielle's life as an ex AFL footage player and a coach, and then it's her other world as a transgender woman, and it explores what that looks like for her and how those decisions were taken away from her drug addiction. It's truly inspiring and incredible and this is a piece of the documentary.
Speaker 3: The AFL is always is to go football and I think you want to hear about me. Today is the first time that I've represented both my tribes. Former North Melbourne football coach Dean Lately, I've been charged through drug possession.
Speaker 4: Photographs take it at this until the police station have gone viral.
Speaker 3: I've got a phone call. Dad's been arrested. I hated who I was all.
Speaker 2: The decisions that you've made have not been good ones. I don't think anyone really knew what Danny went through. We actually have Danielle with us today.
Speaker 3: Hi, Danielle. Hi, Danielle, Hi, by getting how are you?
Speaker 4: Oh, we're so well Danielle even just listening to that the shorts for the stand the documentary, like how do you feel when you hear that back?
Speaker 3: I'm okay. Now. When we were going through the filming the first edit, Nora and I watched it together and within ninety seconds were very, very emotional, and we basically cried through the whole the whole film. But now we've watched it, I don't know, maybe ten times because we had to watch it through all the different edits. Now we can sort of watch it quite objectively. We're really proud of the final package. We've been now able to tell our story in our own words, because the narrative, you know, when it very first became public was not good. Yeah, there was a lot of false things said, there was a lot of innuendo, and that was, you know, probably the main reason why we wanted to make the film so we could tell our story in our words.
Speaker 1: Daniel I think for a bit of context as well, you played one hundred and fifty one games for men's AFL West Coast Eagles and North Melbourne football clubs. And I think the story is so important that now as a transgender woman, that coming out of that reveal was completely taken from your hands. You had no power in that. And if you don't mind speaking to how that happened, I think it's in the documentary. It is really powerful. But if you can speak to what happened in that situation, I think that is so important to hear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going through a pretty bad time at in my life. You know, I'd never touched drugs or anything like that, and was introduced from a relationship that I was in and it got really bad. I still hadn't been diagnosed with gender dysphoria, and eventually it just came out one day when I was seeing my counselor at the time, you know, I got diagnosed with a gender psyche and hindocrinologists and all that sort of stuff, and we were starting to plan a strategy of Okay, how do we get the family together, how do we tell friends? So we put a strategy in that we were going to approach the AFL, but unfortunately that was taken away when I was outed by the Victoria police. You know, I got arrested, and it was a fun enough. It was me who rang the police and said I'm breaking the intervention order because I was just at such a low point. I didn't know what to do. My drug use was spiraling. I just had been diagnosed with gina dysphoria. Went stood out in front of my property and called them and they came and arrested me, which was a bad decision on top of a few others that I'd made. You would think the Victoria police would show some care and empathy and go through the legalities of what had happened. But to have police members take photos of me, take my phone, take photos off my phone. It was very public, so all those plans that we were starting to put in place. The AFL family friends found out about it when you did, when they saw it in the paper.
Speaker 1: We are talking to her former AFL grade, Danielle Ladley, who you may have seen this has recently start in her own stand original documentary series all about her life, her career, and her incredible story of going from AFL football grade to her life now as a transgender woman.
Speaker 4: Was there any consequence for the police who were at fault here? How did that process end up?
Speaker 3: There was about forty odd who got charged internally with something called disgusting behavior, and then is that.
Speaker 2: The actual term?
Speaker 4: Danielle?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow, I didn't even know that that was something you could be charged with. When was it that you knew you felt different?
Speaker 3: The very first time it happened to me, I was probably.
Speaker 5: Six years of age, and there were wow, literally hundreds of things going through my childhood and then early teens and having depression and anxiety.
Speaker 3: I didn't know why I was feeling this way, filing back delays over the last six or seven years, I can now label that as little Danielle. In times when it was speaking, she wanted attention, she wanted love, she wanted affection, she wanted all that sort of stuff. And the one thing that I've learned is you can't outrun gender dysphoria. As I got a little bit older and the Internet comes along and I was able to meet people and talk to people, it started to become clearer.
Speaker 2: It must have been nice to have that revelation and be like, Wow, I'm not actually alone, like there are other people that are going through what I'm going through totally well.
Speaker 1: That I mean that is watching this doco. That is couldn't be more clearer, the two worlds colliding. Stay there, Danielle. We want to delve more into your second part of your life, your time as a transgender woman and being part of the lgbt QAA plus community. More with Danielle after this on the Pickup. We're back right around Australia. Thursday afternoon. It is the pick Up. We've brit Laura and Mitch head into chemist Warehouse today great savings every day joining us. Now we're back with Danielle Lady. It's on Stan the new Stand. Original docer revealed Danielle Lady Two Tribes. We've just been talking to Danielle. This is an incredible story, right Laura.
Speaker 4: It really is. And daniel how did the AFL and also your own family respond to finding out that you were not being able to live authentically.
Speaker 3: It's caused a lot of grief with the in our family of how it came out, and we're still on some fronts working through that. The AFL having lived in fear, the shame, and embarrassment of what perhaps people would think of me. From the CEO of the AFL, Gilma Blocklin, to you know, people I coach, people I played with, the wider football community have been so supportive and caring and everything I've literally had in the last oh we can a bit now, thousands of messages thank you for telling your story. The next most important thing was showing what we went through for families. I'm hoping that that it's a real education piece for a lot of people. It from all walks of life.
Speaker 1: Danielle, as someone who identifies as gay myself, I have the exact same feelings about my sexuality. I had them at a similar age, and it pales in comparison to yours, and sexuality and gender are different. But we have so many parents listening at the pickup right now, I just I want to ask you and give you the opportunity to maybe offer some advice on how potentially parents can deal with their children's gender dysphoria potentially and their kids, and maybe even explaining what gender dysphoria is.
Speaker 3: No, gender dysphoria is how you feel on the inside is not congruent with what is portrayed on the outside. That's where the dysphoria comes. That's where the wrestle comes in. To any parent or to any teenager, the best thing to do is to be able to talk about your feelings and then as a family, whichever member it is, seek some professional help. There's some great facilities and resources out there now. As a transgender person, I've been dealing with this my whole life. Others around me, some have known for seven or eight years when I very first started to live my life as myself, just not in front of my kids or at my place of work. It's a big change and it's only new for them. So as transgender people too, we need to be patient with all those around us.
Speaker 1: This is the pickup. We're talking to former AFL Great Daniel Lady, who was recently starting a stand original documentary all about her time as at AFL Great and now living as a transgender woman.
Speaker 2: I would just love to I know one thing I know just a couple of days ago, And excuse my ignorance. I'm not an AFL person, but I saw an article about one of the AFL players. There was a photo that was taken last week. He had just lost the match he had his hands over his face and he had painted fingernails, and there were so many homophobic comments that I saw on that thread about that. It wasn't about the game, wasn't about how amazing he played. It was about the fact that he had his fingernails crazed. And there was a part of me that thought, Wow, how are we still having these conversations. Do you see the tide turning in society at the moment or are you hoping that this documentary is going to really help that.
Speaker 3: I hope the documentary helps that. I think the gay and lesbian movement is so far in front being educated for many years still though there's a hell of a lot of work to do.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 3: Now, all of a sudden, we have a young footballer that wants to paint his nails. Yeah, so what exactly he's on that ground because he has a talent at an elite sport. What that messaging just in that picture says within the four walls of AFL football clubs, people can be themselves outside that. It's a societal issue that you know, the stuff that you're just talking about, stuff that I go through still every day. That's where we've got a lot of work.
Speaker 4: To Daniel Thestan documentary. I think it's so beautiful that you're able to reclaim your story. And I think that this is really going to reframe for people, especially for anybody who may have just skimmed over headlines in the news or seen something and made up a judgment. Yeah, and that's what we do, right, We see a headline, we make a snap judgment. And this is an opportunity for you to be able to really share your story in your way. And one of the things I think is so beautiful about your story is your relationship with Donna. How you've been in each other's lives throughout your your whole life. It's incredible. And was there ever a time in your life where you were maybe surprised because you know, society tells you that you're not lovable when you're going through this, that somebody is going to stay there and love you regardless of who you are or how you present, because of the person that you are. Just think it, like, it's just such a beautiful part of your story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, I suppose the choice was to live and be my authentic self. I thought the ramifications of that decision rather than leaving this world in a sad, sorry state. I'll probably be by myself for the rest of my life. And so Donald and I had reconnected, but I still hadn't told her. Donald will openly say, why can't you just love another person. I'm forever, ever grateful for that and the reality with our relationship, I can be myself. It's beautiful, best version of myself. And so CONDI. Yeah, we have a lot of fun. We're basically inseparable. We do everything together, you know. We live between Melbourne and Perth and we fly sort of every second week, every third week, and I'm grateful.
Speaker 2: Everyone we're all doing our team. This documentary is incredible. If you guys are listening to this haven't seen it, please go and watch the stand documentary revealed Danielle Lately Two Tribes. It's incredible. Thank you for giving us your time.
Speaker 4: You're amazing.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I'm very grateful to spend some time. Look forward to talking in the future.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, we're back after this. On the pickup