Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order KERNI Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money, She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money the podcast and millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our Money Diary episodes where I get the absolute privilege of talking to one of our beautiful She's on the Money community members all about their journey. Let's jump straight in because I get a message this week and it went like this, Hi V. I was broke amum at eighteen, living on sentling until I discovered the beauty industry. Now I'm a landlord, a full scheduled nail technician, and their kids are thriving. That's the best. Like, that's so short, so sweet, so straight to the point. I need to know so much more about this. But before we get there, money darist, what would you give you money habits if I asked you to give them a grade from A through to F.
Speaker 3: I've been thinking about it. I like to think I'm a solid B. I'm definitely on an A. I think everybody has faults. I have a good relationship with money. I don't feel like I have to spend it. I don't feel like I need to have the latest thing or the cool this thing. So I'd like to get myself a bee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start with a bee. But now my favorite question of all time, I want to know more about your money story. Can you open up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. So we were freshly eighteen when we fell pregnant. We were only together for three months, and obviously that through a spanner in the works for everyone. We had plans, and obviously all the plans went to out.
Speaker 2: The window rubbish three months. That would have been a shock. We're like, oh, oh.
Speaker 3: I think you know it is what it is. But it was the best thing that happened for us, I reckon and we talk about all the time. We would never have it any other way. And I also think we wouldn't be who we are today if we didn't feel pregnant at such a young age, because it pushed us to achieve better.
Speaker 2: I love that so much because I think that so many people, when they find out they're pregnant really young and it was completely unexpected, they just immediately assume it's going to ruin their lives, and You're like, no, no, no, it made mine so much better.
Speaker 3: Definitely. Yeah, well we freaked out at the start. We were like, oh, what are we going to do? Like we were still living at home at this point, like just in a little bedroom in our family home. And yeah, we quickly were like, okay, well something has to change. So we moved out. And obviously moving out at eighteen was a struggle. So I was just on centilink after I you know, finish with working when I like went on Matt leave, which I was just working in a cafe so it was nothing special at paid the bills and that's all, and my partner was kind of just doing whatever he could get his hands on to earn the money. And yeah, we struggled for a long time, like just trying to cover the rent. I think honestly, our outgoings were probably more than our incoming, so it was a really really hard time. Babies are expensive, Yeah, definitely, and also you're just I think at that age, especially being pregnant, you're trying to prove something as well, so you're trying to also show everyone that you can do it, that you're not struggling, and that you know, we didn't want to be like, oh, we really need help, like we can't afford this or we can't afford that. We would just do it. And like you know, say our family or something wanted us to do something that we couldn't afford, we would just do it rather than being like a sorry, we can't afford that, we're not going to join in or something. So we always struggled, and we always found it really hard to come to terms with actually, no, we can't afford this, and let's figure out another way to achieve it. But yeah, for ages we struggled and we just kind of like made ends meet, and then we had our son at nineteen.
Speaker 2: Did you plan to have a second baby or is that something that was like ooh, another surprise.
Speaker 3: Well, when our son turned one, we were kind of like, oh, we want another one, Like we wanted to have a friend, so our daughter was planned.
Speaker 2: I only ask not because I'm trying to be pervy and be like, oh, did you have an accident twice? It's more like I feel like I've met so many people that have babies young and then they have the first one and go, you know what, let's just whack out a couple more while we're here, like we're in baby mode, like we've got all this stuff, we know we want multiple kids, Like it kind of just makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, just with having our son super young, we were like, we don't want a massive age gap, we don't want to be older, Like we really just wanted to be young parents and smashed out young. My mum was a young mom. She had me at twenty two, and like we're best friends now, so like I'm twenty five and she's forty eight. Maybe I don't know, but I'm like, we're just besties. So I wanted that as well, even though it was going to be a struggle.
Speaker 2: I love it. And as somebody who's currently very very pregnant and thirty two. I just wish I was a little bit younger.
Speaker 3: In hindsight, yeah, I think, you know, it happens whenever you're ready, and I think, no matter what age you are or where you are, it's going to happen, and it's going to be beautiful.
Speaker 2: So I'm just really tired, you know. So I look at you and I'm like, oh, that was a smart move from you, you smart cookie.
Speaker 3: Well, my sister's twenty eight, and I say like, come on, I gotta have one soon because I'm exhausted and I'm twenty five.
Speaker 2: When you're in your forties and people like me are stilled doing daycare drop off, you'll be like, have fun over there. I've got a margarita.
Speaker 3: I know I'll be living.
Speaker 2: So tell me what life looks like now. So you had two kids, obviously a struggle. That's not what life's like now.
Speaker 3: Though, No, So they're four and six now. We purchased a property at the start of last year in an area that was kind of yet to boom, and then we were there for a year and we renovated and like you know, it kind of boomed. So we've got a bit of equity now and we're actually renting the house out.
Speaker 2: Now, oh look at you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's really exciting. So that was like a goal for us. We really wanted to like prove we could do it all. So yeah, by twenty five, we wanted to at least like have a property rented out. And yeah, so we started actually at least to a rental until we buy our second property, which is a goal that we will hopefully achieve next year. We started the rental property yesterday.
Speaker 2: So I was so fresh.
Speaker 1: Mm.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so life now is obviously a lot than what it was. We're not struggling, I mean cost of living. Obviously, money is still always like not an issue, but you want to be careful. But yeah, being an now technician, that's why I wanted to jump on because I was like, it honestly changed my life. It was something I was able to do while being at home being a mom. No matter what age I was, I could achieve it. I could do it in the benefit of my own home. And it's still brought in a full income.
Speaker 2: How good is that.
Speaker 3: Obviously it's a business, so you're self employed. Don't give you a bit of experience with like the back end and tax and all that. Stuff. So yeah, I was like, well, it's just been like a full circle kind of moment.
Speaker 2: I love it. So tell me more about this business. Were you like one day you woke up and you're like, I could probably do nails at home or were you, you know, pre trained in that, Like how did you fall into this? Because as somebody who I love doing my own nails because I literally do not have the time during the day at a reasonable hour to go and see a nail technician, but like I adore it, and I feel like having a good nail technician is like a cult, like you find someone and you go to nobody else. And I'm sure you see this with your clients, but like, good on you for finding that niche, because it's a great niche to be, But how did you find it?
Speaker 3: So obviously, like as a teenage girl, I loved getting my nails done, and I loved watching like the nail tutorials on like Facebook, like whatever back then we watched them on. But my son was nearly one and it was like kind of time for me to return back to an income. I didn't want to go back to the cafe. I didn't have any other qualifications because I dropped out of high school, so I didn't really follow through with anything. I just went to working with whatever job would take me.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: And obviously being pregnant at eighteen, I didn't go through with UNI or anything like that. So I was like, yeah, what can I do that's still going to bring me money, but I'm still going to be flexible. So that's when I was like, I wonder, you know what a now business would look like. Obviously you're never going to run out of clientele and.
Speaker 2: They reoccur as well, which is smart business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was like, you know, what's going to bring an income, but like, I'm not going to be like, you know, marketed properly. You're always going to have a clientele because every single woman at some stage, once they're now, it's done all men, you know. So yeah, I started looking at a NOW course and it worked out perfect because back then I don't know if they still do it now, but the government offered like a CERT three guarantee. Yeah, So the NOW course that I did was a CERT three and it was actually a few thousand, but with the SERT three guarantee because I hadn't done a prior CIRT three the government funded most of that, so I think out of pocket, I only take about five hundred or something like that.
Speaker 2: Oh, how good.
Speaker 3: And it was three or four days a week, so like, you know, I had my son at home, like I just had someone come and watch him, or my partner would stay home on his days off to watch him, and I went and did the tape course. I think it was like three months or four months or something. Yeah, And then when I finished, it took me little bit to get the ball rolling because it's super nerve wracking, and you know, you have people watching you while you're working.
Speaker 2: It's anxiety inducing.
Speaker 3: Once I got comfortable with doing it, I thought, this is it, Like this is just what's going to work for me, and I kind of just kept going with it. And at that stage, we were just in like a crappy little house what we could afford in a Brisbane suburb that was just getting more and more expensive to live in. So we actually had to leave that house because like it was not a very nice house to work in for clients. And I was also heavily pregnant with my daughter. When I decided to stop doing oils just to focus on the end of the pregnancy, So I had a bit of a break I'd say for like maybe a good six months or eight months. I'd actually stopped doing oils four and then when I got back into it, I kind of came in with like a fresh mindset. I changed my business name, I like rebranded, I bought all new stuff, had a bit money aside saved up that I like spent just all my money on and all my savings on rebranding, and just hoping like it was going to pick back up again and I would get all new clientele again and just like prayed that it worked. And it did and it worked perfect. I love that, And I literally haven't stopped since. So that's been five years now since I've picked it back up, and I think I've taken like maybe two weeks off in that whole time. I've just had a full schedule and it's been amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow, So tell me a bit more, because obviously, starting your own business is so much more than going and getting a certification and being like cool, I can hit the ground running like you were just a young mum. How did you work out like all the marketing, the branding and like acquiring clients, Like what was your I guess main mode of advertising.
Speaker 3: Well, when I first started, I came in at a really good time when kind of people were still going to the shops. But it wasn't like popular back then to have like your own now tech. Well I was only nineteen, so I didn't have my own now tech. If I want to my annow start, I would have just gone to the shops. Yeah, and so I think I started at a really good time because the nail industry kind of boomed in between when I started to when I like finished before having my second child, and then Yeah, people were wanting to find their own at home now technician and someone that was careful and more of like a luxurious service. So when I first started marketing, I would post like Facebook Marketplace ads.
Speaker 2: Oh cool smart, Well, it didn't.
Speaker 3: Cost me anything. And I think back then boosting like your post on Instagram wasn't a thing. So it was all done by Facebook Marketplace and Facebook groups. I think I even had Gumtree ads back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah cool, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just anyone I could get in. I wouldn't care about you know who they were or like, you know whatever. Back then, it was a bit hard to get more of like an upscaled client. So yeah, I think I was charging maybe like forty dollars for a set of hours back then, and I would just maybe do like two a day or three, you know. So it wasn't a lot of money at the very start. It took me ages and what I have been earning. But yeah, just to get experience, I would just post on social media. Instagram wasn't really a massive thing. I think Instagram started picking off for me. I think I maybe like had done a giveaway or something. Yeah, and just with learning how to post photos and in the right lighting and also changing the style of nails that I did to suit like the social dynamic as well. Yeah, so doing more like you know, sets it now so that other clients would want rather than maybe what I would like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, which I think is so smart because you're then playing to getting more clients and like, it's so much more than just being like, hey, I do nails and then people just come to your house. Like that's not how it works. Yes, So it's a balancing act you mentioned before, you know, I was doing like forty dollars nail sets. Now I'm making way more than I used to, So let's jump into the next question because I want to know, like, obviously you're a nail technical, but how much money do you actually make? Give us the juicy goss.
Speaker 3: So on a good year, it's just under seventy five.
Speaker 2: Thousand, okay, smart, because she doesn't want to pay GST.
Speaker 3: I don't have a desire to be you know, that next tax bracket, so I try to keep it under seventy five K. I do offer like education and courses as well, which adds in like a nice big chunk of income as well, so that's good. I can also change, like, you know, not just always working all week. I can do like a weekend course which could make up for a four week of income, which is really really fun. Yeah cool, So a good year, I like to keep it under seventy five K. I've done a little bit of moving around. We've moved up north now we're back in Frizzy, so I'd say at the moment it's probably you know, sixty thousand ish, which this year I'm hoping to get it back to seventy five k mark now that I'm back in Brisbane with all my regulars.
Speaker 2: Yep. And what does your I guess week to week look like how many hours does that take you to achieve?
Speaker 3: So it's actually pretty flexible. So I don't start clients until ten.
Speaker 2: Am, fairness yea, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well I'm not a morning person, so I don't commit to like nine am appointments before then.
Speaker 2: A bit like me, Like if my clients saw me before nine am, they'd be like, we do not want to work with Victoria.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like I've got the kids, Like my partner goes to work early in the morning, he's out of the house at five. And you know, my daughter, she's like me, she doesn't do a morning she sleeps in. So it's just a smart tactic for me to start at ten am. Yeah, and then I need to be finished before you know, four ish five ish latest should like do pick up the kids and do dinner and all that stuff. So it's pretty flexible. At the moment, I'm only doing it three days a week, which is Thursday, Friday, Saturday. I'm going to salon to do those and now that I'm at our own little space again, I will be offering more days from home, which all up that income as well.
Speaker 2: Oh how good. That's so nice that you can kind of like scale it up and back, depending on what you want to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love this definitely. I think the beauty industry in general, no matter if you do nails, lashes, brows, you know, cosmeonic t he doing, it's so flexible, like your clients will work around you. And that's why I wanted to jump on to show moms that you can do flexible work and it can be fun and you don't have to be in the ground of an.
Speaker 2: Office, and you're earning a very good income from that. Like, that's why I was like, cont you earn And then that's why I wanted to ask about the hours, because I think automatically a lot of people would have been like, oh, like her kids must be in daycare five days a week and she must be yeah, you know, hustling for that. No, she's living her best life now. Yeah, I love it, and you obviously love what you do because I can see how happy you are when you're talking about it as well, which makes me so happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well that's why I say to my clients all the time, it doesn't feel like I'm at work, because you know, some clients will come in and they will want something crazy on then now and to be like I'm sorry, sorry it's taking so long, and say it doesn't feel like I'm at work, Like it feels like I'm just doing a hobby.
Speaker 2: I'm having fun doing this. It's different. Yeah, And I feel like when I seeing my nail tech, Amy, if you're listening to this, I still love you. I just have no time. I've always felt like it was going to a friend's house, like it would be like a little bit of a like go to a friend's house, like have a gossip session, like have a good chat, and then my nails would be done and I'd be like, oh, I have to go home now. Oh okay.
Speaker 3: I feel like what you say at the now table it never leaves.
Speaker 2: Oh you're a therapist as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have that connection between your now tech and like me with my clients, that we can say whenever we want and it's fine and it's such a safe, happy space.
Speaker 2: I adore it. It's great and I love that you get to do that every day. Tell me about your big money goals. Obviously you've gone from being a broke mom at eighteen living on centralink to I guess living your best life. But what are your big money goals, what are you currently working towards?
Speaker 3: So at the moment, we're kind of starting fresh. We've used up most of our savings on renovating our property, and at the moment we're covering both rent and mortgage just while our house is getting rented out, which will be in mid February. Yea, So we're kind of starting fresh with our savings. So we've been able to set ourselves a bit of a clean slate and be like, right, well, this is what we want to achieve. We know what we can do now, we know the things that we can accomplish. So this year we just want to keep saving to go towards a second property. We're hoping obviously we can use a bit of equity so we won't take up a lot of our money. It's hard to say that we have money goals for this year because we've worked so hard for like a long time, and we've achieved our big yourself, which is buying a property last year. So at twenty four, buying our first property.
Speaker 2: Twenty four is baby, You're buying property at twenty four, What the heck?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this year we kind of said, look, we actually just want to chill out a little bit. We're not setting too many massive goals. We just want to keep chipping away at the savings, just popping a little bit away each week. We would like to go on a little holiday at the end of the year, just nowhere, fancy, just somewhere still in Australia, maybe even just tazzy. Yeah, so keeping money aside for that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, oh I love that. And as much as you say I don't have any big money goals per se Victoria, I feel like you've obviously thought about finances though, because you've said to me before you were like, yep, last year I did about sixty grand. I'd love to do seventy five. So it's not like you're not thinking and talking about money. You've just taken the pressure off this year, which I think can be honestly so relieving. Like sometimes we just have big money goal after big money goal and it feels stressful and overwhelming and we don't get to enjoy the journey. So I low key love that. Let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, I want to know more about this house that you bought, the debt that's on it, any investments, and your good and bad money habits. Guys don't go anywhere. All right, money Dice, We are back, and I feel like you're one of the savvy she's on the money community members. So tell me about investments. Do you have any? If so, what are they? If you're not investing, what's the plan?
Speaker 3: So we have our property, which.
Speaker 2: Is an investment property. Now you've moved out, Yeah, so our.
Speaker 3: Rent is going to be covering the mortgage. We will be chucking a little bit of money into that each week, just to have a little bit of a buffer there on the mortgage. That's kind of our biggest investment. I do have a little bit in chairs eas since I've been listening to the podcasts.
Speaker 2: Ah very cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I've just been doing the roundups on that. I haven't actually been popping money into it. It's just been rounding up. I've done the dollar and then also the other little.
Speaker 2: Bit is that adding up? Yes, it is actually well, very nice fairness.
Speaker 3: I've only been doing it since like end of last year, and it's nearly about it's only got about two hundred bucks in there, but it's getting there.
Speaker 2: That's two hundred bucks. You didn't think you'd have invested though.
Speaker 3: Hey, I know, well, you know, I've tried kombake, and I've tried all like those other big stock ones and I just can't understand it. But I can really understand the chairs eas which is awesome.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so so glad. Well, that's exciting. Two hundred dollars now. Can't wait to see what it's at at the end of the year or even in a couple of years. That's going to compound. Yeah, do you have any other investments or are their plans for other investments?
Speaker 3: Well, no other investments at this stage. We are hoping to buy a second property next year. We don't want to be in a rental forever, so we hope to buy a second property next year. But no, at this stage, that's all we have in investments.
Speaker 2: Very cool. Tell me about debt. I want to know about this mortgage. I need to know the dirty details. How did a twenty four year old get into her first property.
Speaker 3: It's a bit of a rollercoaster. We decided we couldn't buy into the Brisbane market. It's just too expensive. It wasn't in reach for us, and we weren't going to break ourselves just again into the market. Here, which I don't think is a smart move as a young person. You're kind of just getting yourself into a massive amount of debt unless you pick up an amazing cheap property, which often comes with the downside. So we started looking up north. I'm from a little town up north. It's not so little, but it's four hours from Brisbane, and I thought, if you know, we're going to buy somewhere, I want to be comfortable with it and I want to be knowledge of the area. So yeah, we bought up north a little bit. I have family there, which was perfect. We bought our house for three hundred and fifteen thousand. It's eight hundred square meter block.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, two bedroom.
Speaker 3: It has like a nice little sunroom, landroom, kitchen, and then it has a massive granny flat, which was our big win.
Speaker 2: Oh money win.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So when we went and had a look, I think we were in a bit of luck because all the photos online they were really bad, like they looked really terrible and it just looked like no one would want to kind of live there. But we saw the big win in the granny flat. It wasn't like super rand new it had been lived in, but it had a big kitchen, big bathroom, two bedroom.
Speaker 2: In the granny flat. Yeah, what the heck in Yeah, it's like a little two for one deal.
Speaker 3: And the best part was the granny flat isn't actually certified as a granny flat. It was certified as a games room. So we just have to pay like a few thousand I think it is to get it certified, and then it will add value onto the house, which at the moment it doesn't have that value.
Speaker 2: Oh how good.
Speaker 3: So we bought it for a lot less than what it will be worth when we get it certified.
Speaker 2: You guys are geniuses, so tell me more.
Speaker 3: We moved in and we immediately got to renovating. We ripped up all the carpet, we went back to hardwood floor, we did all the painting. It wasn't a fence property, which obviously a downside, so we fenced the property and that's expensive.
Speaker 2: I've just learnt how expensive fencing is.
Speaker 3: Well, we did it all ourselves, so it didn't actually cost it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you're smarter than me, yes.
Speaker 3: So we got an extra twenty k on our loan, and we managed to get everything done with that twenty k and we renovated the bathroom, we painted exterior interior. I think that's kind of what we did. Yeah, so we did everything ourselves, so we saved ourselves a lot of money. My dad is a handyman, so we got off really really well with that, so he was around all the time helping us. And then we had it reevaluated and it's in about the four twenty k mark at the moment.
Speaker 2: No, it's not how good. So tell me about I guess a deposit. So how did you get your deposit together? What did you spend on it?
Speaker 3: So I actually got really lucky. And that's why I kind of always feel like it's kind of a bit of a cheat. Like my dad was as a guarantee on the property.
Speaker 2: It's not a cheat because you've still got to do a lot of work.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so we still had kind of enough money to do a deposit. We just didn't want to be left with nothing. So my yeah dad win as a guarantee, which was amazing because his property is nearly paid outright, So that just worked out perfect. And yeah, that means we saved our money to go on to Reno's and all that kind of stuff, and just with a bit of a buffer. Obviously you still have to show the income and show the savings. So yeah, we got off a bit lucky with that, but I'm glad, Like probably without the guarantee, it would have been a lot harder to get in or taken us longer to save.
Speaker 2: I love that. I feel like it's genius. Now you've gone and gotten all of your I guess ducks in a row to rent it out. What are you going to be renting the property for?
Speaker 3: So we are hoping to rent it out for four ninety five a week?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty good. We do have to change our loan type. I messed up with our mortgage. It started as an investment property and then we change it to own occupied because we were like not super sure on moving out or renting it out or that. So we changed it to own occupied because the other interest rate was cheaper, and then we locked it in at that interest rate. So now we have to change all that around, which will bump uss back up a bit, so the rent will be covering majority of the mortgage. So our mortgage will be I think it's like five ten after we do the interest rate change and all that loan type change. So yeah, we won't be able to pocket a lot.
Speaker 2: That's not the point. You have a very nice amount of equity already. You're sitting in a very flushed position with four ninety five a week coming in, that rental yield would be very attractive. I don't have a rental yield calculator in front of me, but if I did, I know it would be coming out. Well. The fact that you bought it for three hundred and fifteen thousand dollars and also eight hundred square meters for three hundred and fifty what like as someone who's from inner Melbourne, Like even my three hundred and fifty square meter block costs more than a million dollars? Like, what the hell? Like, you're a winner. I'm the idiot here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for us, it was not about owning something that was expensive. It was just about owning an asset and having that relationship with the bank to further better ourselves to buying a second property when we decided to come back to Brisbane. Obviously it's a lot more expensive here, so we kind of figured if we at least had somewhat of a relationship and had somewhat of a asset, it would be easier when we are a little bit older, because we're still so young.
Speaker 2: Oh you were set. I feel like it's going to go from one property to two properties and you're still basically children in my eyes. Give it another ten years, like you're going to be a little propertymuls like I can just see it. You're gonna have your own full nail salon. You won't even do nails anymore. You just manage everybody else like you are going to take over the world. I'm so excited for this, me too, Thank you. So tell me what do you think your best money habit is.
Speaker 3: I think my best money habit is I'm super frugal. I always think about the purchase before I do it. I never just go screw it I've got the money, or screw it we need it. I think do we actually really need this or can we do without. I don't feel like I have to own anything. I just go my day and day out with what I've got. I make do with everything. So yeah, I'm not like a big spender. Honestly, our main spending is on our asset, and you know, things that keep us alive, like groceries and our bills and all that sort of stuff, so we don't have a lot of excess spending that we do. So yeah, just from being like super young and super broke, I'm super frugal because we haven't always had money, and I feel like any money that's incoming, we always have to be like, Okay, well where's this going? And you know, what are we going to have left over? We pay our bills, so what are we going to do with that? So yeah, I'm super super frugal.
Speaker 2: But I love that, And obviously I would say that's part of your money story, having known where you've come from, Like there's always going to be some level of being really conservative with your cash because you're like, I don't want to go back to that because I'm assuming you remember how stressful that was.
Speaker 3: Definitely, Like, you know, the first Christmas with our son, we had to go to like a charity place they give out Christmas presents.
Speaker 2: That's not bad.
Speaker 3: They give you like a Christmas food hamper and you can like pick out a few toys. So we wrapped them up and like that was what our first look like.
Speaker 2: But I love that you had access to that, Like I'm obsessed that these things exist.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was super super helpful at a time of need. So, yeah, like our first few years of like being young adults, when you're generally out thriving and you know, making memories, we were like really struggling and pushing through and just making ends meet. So we remember what that feels like and we go not again.
Speaker 2: So I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we always super conservative with whatever excess money we have because it just doesn't last.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that that's very reflective of your journey, but it's also something that will serve you really well. Like I feel like sometimes you get out of these situations and people bury their head in the sand and pretend like that wasn't their circumstance, and then they end up spending way beyond their means, which is just the worst thing that can happen, right, definitely, So I'm very very excited about it. But let's bring it down. What's your worst money habit? What have you carried through that's not serving you well.
Speaker 3: I always like to think I don't have a bad money habit, Like I like to think that I have a very positive relationship with money.
Speaker 2: You don't have to come up with one. Then, Honestly, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think I can think of one. Maybe I'm being a bit naive.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think you're being naive.
Speaker 3: Oh I do use after paying. That is my one bad money habit.
Speaker 2: I can almost guarantee that you're not frivolously purchasing things on after pay. Are you using it as a cash flow tool, aren't you?
Speaker 3: Well for me, it's kind of like, I have X amount of money in my excess spending for this week. Am I going to spend it all on this one item? Or can I break that up over four weeks?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're cash flowing things. I love the like I have after pay. It's really bad. Also, I'm using it really smartly to make sure that my budget is always in check.
Speaker 3: Because of the job that I have, I don't have to wear you know, super conservative clothing. I can just wear whatever, So I buy clothes for work slash, you know, still stuff I can wear out. So say off any to buy a few items, I might check it on after pay. Or we recently had to buy all new fans for the property, so we could obviously get a little bit more rental income from it being fully you know, decked out with fans. And I popped that one after pay because that was a couple of hundred and I thought, well, I can pay that off over four weeks rather than taking it out about like saving slash buffer. At the moment, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's smart if someone says, oh, I have after pay, I do really want to dive deep into it and go, well, how do you use it? What does that look like? Because as I've said one million times on the podcast, I cannot be trusted with after pay personally, Like, I'm so tap happy you tell me that I can have something cheaper nowt Like, I just am an instant gratification girly. And while I'm not super proud of that, I think it's important to acknowledge because it really helps me understand where I'm from. But also sharing it, people are like, oh, actually, be that's me too. But then we meet people like you who you're like, oh, I actually had to buy this thing for my renovated property, and like I did a cost benefit analysis and I'd much prefer to cash flow it over a few weeks like genius, Like so smart, and I think it keeps you, really, I guess centered on what's important if you're so across it, So I don't think that's a bad money habit, Like I know you think it might be, but like I'm not warranting that one, so we're just going to go with you don't have that many bad money habits.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 2: Last question I've got for you, my love, is at the start of this show, you said, I'm a bee, what would it take to get to an A plus?
Speaker 3: I don't think I'm quite an A yet because, like we have a lot of outgoings as well, so we don't have a massive cash flow. But I think my relationship with money is, you know, quite on par with an A.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've learned so much and I'm like, this is not a bee. This incredible human being is killing it. Like you are twenty five. Now, you have a property, You're really smart about the property, You've strategized it, you're renting it out, you're living in a rental. There's a planned by another one. You've got two little human beings that are entirely dependent on you, and you're still setting up your business and hustling from home. Like, I don't know if I agree with a bee, but I don't really want to have the fight today. And you and I both know it's probably a little bit higher, so give yourself a little bit of credit.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad I got to have a chat with you and learn about your story and your journey and where you've come from what we are going. But also you can just see from this story there's so far to go, Like not in terms of having to change, but just there's going to be so many great life achievements that I know you'll achieve with the mindset that you have, Like it's so exciting. So congratulations, thank you, and also thank you for sharing it with the community. I feel like you're going to inspire so many other young mums to go, wait, she can do that. I can do that, I really hope.
Speaker 3: So I feel like it takes like maybe one or two years to change your life around, and it's really within reach. And you know, coming from a position where I would say our money habits were like a D minus, Like we were really really bad, and we just switched our mindset to well, what is in reach and how can we kind of change ourselves and be better? So a whole different life is just within reach.
Speaker 2: I love it. I'm obsessed. This is literally why money daries are my favorite episode of the week and my favorite thing to get to record, Like hanging out with you has made my day incredible, So thank you for that. Unfortunately, that is all we have time for today, So again, thank you so much for sharing with the community. I just know that they're going to be as obsessed with you as I am with you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. I love listening to the podcast and all the other Money diary, so I thought, you know what, I'm just going to jump on and I'm just going to give it a go and just tell my story and tell other women and men and anyone that you can change your life and you can be in a better position without having to go through thousands of dollars in study and all the rest.
Speaker 2: No queen behavior. I love it. Thank you anyway, have the best day, and I hope our paths cross soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money Shoper Pty Ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two two seven seven zero eight a f s L four five one two eight nine