Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. My name is Beckside and Jessica Ricky. It joins me today because it is Friday, and today we celebrate you, the incredible Shees on the Money community. Today we'll be sharing our favorite money wins, sharing some broque tips. We'll also be helping to answer juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about keeping your budget in line or getting bargains at the end of financial sales, and we unpack something that you slid into our DMS about which this week is all about resetting your headspace after a toxic workplace.
Speaker 5: So Jessica, Ricky, how are you? I'm good? How are you good?
Speaker 6: We have doubled the team this week, so it's not just the two of us, We've got four because you guys loved when we had Salina the Two Broke Chicks a couple of weeks ago and they were down in Melbourne and we were like, besties, please let us squeeze you in person, so welcome. Of course the Twin Flames Sally McMullan and Alex Herrigan aka the Two Bow.
Speaker 7: Chicks as back Caddle in person.
Speaker 6: We were so stoic that you can find to see what you guys were down and you're obviously about talking about your new book, which is so exciting. Congratulations on the launch.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 8: Writing funding your people has definitely been like the highlight of our career. So it's just been crazy every time we passed the bookstore, like, let's.
Speaker 5: Get yeah, the novelty has not run off yet?
Speaker 6: Have you started walking around with a sharpie so you can just like pop in and sign one every now and again.
Speaker 9: Like, hey, and be like like it needs to be something all day, like that chick from Harry Potter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just like in a bookstore in what are those ones called.
Speaker 4: The d.
Speaker 5: Get three times? Can you stop writing on my book please?
Speaker 8: Yeah, we can have like Britta memoir that's not yours.
Speaker 5: Well, she's out of stake in this. This is important to me as well. She's my people. Exactly. How's your week been? Apart from just absolutely chaos with all the book stuff.
Speaker 2: It's been really good.
Speaker 8: We went out on the weekend and then basically wrote ourselves off after that and that was like, let's go celebrate that. I was like, I'm dead for this, but it was really nice, and like Melbourne's so beautiful, Like, yeah, definitely the prettiest city.
Speaker 2: I'm probably gonna get rid for that.
Speaker 8: I think, So your CBD is definitely prettier than we're biased.
Speaker 6: But I think Melbourne's the best city in the world. And I mean that least agreed like six years in a row, so exactly exactly, little city.
Speaker 5: How we're humble, Absolutely, it's not humble.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, my week has been a series of unfortunate events, but it's also been like really good in a funny way, like my car was broken into and my partner's laptop was stolen, just like a few and so it's just been like a hectic few days, just like trying to suss out without like it's kind of like it's good. The silver lining is that I'm getting work. I'm getting freelance work, which means that I need a laptop, which also means that I must find a laptop. But it's all sorted. It always works itself out in a way, doesn't it. I guess my only the only uncomfortable thing in the pit of my stomach is that, like, there are people out there that have my girlfriend's laptop and no one's doing anything about it. They're just like getting away with it. Yeah, I get like they have justice. There's a justice.
Speaker 5: This is your vigilante. Error become a vigilante after this, I know.
Speaker 4: I literally went to the place, because you know, you can track it with your friend, and so I went to the place.
Speaker 5: I went to the address. It was a car wash.
Speaker 4: So I was like, Okay, I can't do much here, but it's basically I think we do need to take the work. It Still it's not trackable anymore, but it was on for that day, like watching it, like and I was like, someone do something.
Speaker 8: My brother did that and he showed up to the person's house and he was like cause it was some little sixteen year old yeah phone, and he was like, you've got my phone. And my boyfriend's brother was like six foot five and he was like, you got my phone. He was like no, no, no, and he was like, my phone is here.
Speaker 5: Just go get it.
Speaker 8: And then this angel like went up the day has got it and I had to give it back and I was like I'm embarrassing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh my god. It was so funny.
Speaker 8: But yeah, my mum also did it. She like went and got her like Apple Watch, it's the best feature. If you don't have to find my phone on you need to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 6: People listened to the show, not that I did that with an uber, Like I left my phone in the uber and they tried to say that they didn't have it, and so I drove. I tracked it, drove like all over the place to find this thing. Knocked on this guy's window. He was about to pull out of a KFC and I blocked him in with and like knocked on the window and he rolled and he was so confused he did not recognize me. I was like, Hi, like, I'm the person who spoke to yesterday. You said you were going to bring my phone back. You never did and he was like, oh, the phone, the phone. I was like, I know that you have my phone in there, and he literally just was like okay, and like you just did not know what to do, which, in hindsight so dangerous.
Speaker 5: But I felt like I got it.
Speaker 2: Did you go by yourself?
Speaker 5: I did?
Speaker 7: I done that.
Speaker 4: I was at least I felt safe in a public k I have never felt safe for anywhere in the world than in a KFC parking lot.
Speaker 5: Face, I'm so proud of you. That's bad us. But if I had a car wash, there would have been in a car.
Speaker 6: So you should get the car wash camera footage because maybe you'll be able to identify the current.
Speaker 5: Take it to the vigilante.
Speaker 6: That's a great idea if anyone needs something sorted, I feel like everyone at this table are just the people to make it.
Speaker 5: Actually, yes, totally, But enough about me. How was your week? It was good.
Speaker 6: I chipped something off my bucket list this week. I went to Laru, which was incredible. We Roset amazing experience. I was so lucky. Version of just launched flats and I got invited to go to celebrate, and it was just I'm not a super spiritual person, it's not really who I am, but there was some kind of energy there that just was unlike anything I've ever experienced before. It was incredible, and it's something I wanted to do since I was a kid and had just never had the opportunity to. So I had the best week ever because I you know, when you do something that you've always wanted to, you just go, oh my god, this is what life.
Speaker 5: Is for you feel like bec on a rug living my life.
Speaker 6: Because you stand next toy and it's so it's bigger than the Eiffel Tower or taller than the Eiffel Tower. The amount of things that I learned that I didn't know was crazy. I had a little of an existential like out of forty moment where I was like, I am just in a meeba on the life.
Speaker 5: That was good to have Kitty grounded.
Speaker 2: I love when you have this beck on the Rock week, when it's always.
Speaker 8: At the time when like I'm supposed to be happy with my period, it's like the week after and I'm like, ah, we're just on the big floating rock, and then like two weeks are like everything zags the whole.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, anyone who following me on Instagram got absolutely spammed this week, and I'm really sorry.
Speaker 5: But also I'm not so through you.
Speaker 6: But I do have some excellent money wins to share with everybody, because I obviously was still kicking around in the group despite being away. Please let me share with you guys what I pulled out. So firstly, I'm going to start with a loss, but it's in my mind still a win from Rochelle. She said, I used my emergency account for the first time ever. I had set it up at the start of the year, and I had slowly accumulated money. I just went to the dentist after a little scare, and I was proud to note that I didn't have to scramble for money when I was told the cost. I also have no guilt because that's what the money is for what a good feeling.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that's a loss at all.
Speaker 6: It's a win because you were prepared, well done, Rochelle. It's such a good feeling.
Speaker 2: And you went to the dentist.
Speaker 6: That's how enough of conversation in our workplace, because two of us are people who have been very, very scared that in just for a long time and left it kind of an arguably disgusting amount of years. And it's like one of those things where it's like you go and you get there and you get it done, and if you find a good dentist, you're, oh, it's actually not that bad. But it's the mental hurdle. Isn't it very expensive?
Speaker 8: There's actually a place called I don't know if it's there's some in New South Wales. I'm sure there should be some in melbournecause I think there's some in Brisbane. But it's called Dentist or Dental ninety nine and it's like a ninety nine dollars dentist.
Speaker 2: So for like a check up and clean it costs maybe they should be a money whin.
Speaker 8: It's like ninety nine dollars and then for like a lot of their other treatments, it is quite on the audordable side of the spectrum.
Speaker 5: That's awesome.
Speaker 8: Their prices may have gone up a little bit inflation vibes. Yeah, but like I went and I think I had to have a check up, and I had to have like one feeling because I left it a discuss team out. Yeah, and yeah, I think it was like two hundred bucks, which I was like, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: It was like a bit of a relief.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hopefully that's the money win for somebody. Yeah, that's incredible. Next, I've got one from Courtney who said she had five thousand dollars of fines wiped after applying through the special Circumstances route. She said there was a lot of mucking around, but after four very long months she heard back that the entire debt had been cleared.
Speaker 5: Sick, and she said she's so happy.
Speaker 6: She advocated herself that one's for you, and you're ten thousand of parking.
Speaker 5: Fine, I know I'm thinking about that as you're saying that, But I like to try once.
Speaker 4: We would just try again, they said, So we can't wipe it, but there's like nine thousand dollars worth of finds it.
Speaker 5: But I just like, am I just try? Where are we parking? Got anywhere.
Speaker 3: Anywhere?
Speaker 5: All the time?
Speaker 6: Yeah, basically, so you never know if you don't give it a go. Exactly took her ages, but it worked out. That's awesome, Courtney. Next, I've got a win from Sarah, who said she thought her husband needed brand new headphone, but instead he just needed new headphone covers. She saved herself around two hundred and thirty dollars just by buying like a couple of little foamy things for his birthday.
Speaker 5: Oh nice.
Speaker 6: You can also wash them a lot of the time, depending what they are.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 6: I've seen people talking about the AirPod maxes and how they get growth. You can wash those, but yeah, apparently eBay, you can grab yourself some new little foami inserts and turn your crusty, dusty old one who how good, into something.
Speaker 5: A little fresher.
Speaker 6: And then, lastly, for this week, I've got a money win from Hayley, who said she was comparing travel insurances and she read the pds and realized that one company had a much higher limit for phones than the other company that she was looking into. She said the lower one was only one thousand dollars, which doesn't even cover the cost of an iPhone these days. So she rang the insurance which had a much higher level of cover and asked if they could do anything for her. They dropped it by thirty five percent from four hundred and fifty to two hundred and ninety. And so what was the most expensive and comprehensive cover came the most affordable. Oh sick, I didn't even know that you could do that. You can bring around and get them to drop the pass on it. So do your research. She said, it pays to read the fine print, and I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 5: That's really really good. Now, not to put you guys on the spot.
Speaker 6: I know you you brought some last time, but do you have any fresh money wins or losses to share with everybody?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 7: My money win was initially a money loss as well.
Speaker 5: Oh a journey. We love that.
Speaker 7: And it's a reminder to always look at your recurring bills. I don't know if anybody is like me, but whenever, like the electricity bill comes, they're like, oh, I know I have to pay it, but I just don't even want.
Speaker 5: To look at it or look at the details. Yeah, I'll just see how much and I'll just pay it. I don't even like question it.
Speaker 7: And then my partner and I knew that our rates had gone up, but we were like, surely not by this much. But we paid the first quarter Anyway, then it happened again and it was even more expensive, and we were like, no way. So we called our provider and they were like, oh, sorry, we've been overcharging you crazy amounts for the last two quarters. And because we followed it up, we got an eight hundred.
Speaker 6: Dollars you would have just kept.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Oh my god.
Speaker 6: The corporations truly just don't care. I know about the little man at all. It's the lazy tax. It completely is. It's hard with electricity and stuff because you go, oh, like, how do you quantify that? Yeah you, oh, winter, I had the heater on. Summer I had the air got on.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 7: Well that's kind of what we were thinking. And then we were like there's no way. Yeah, because we had made a real conscious effort not to use as much electricity, and we were like, something has gone wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah, they're not going to call you being like oopsie. No, never in history ever has a wait for you to make that call. So make the call. Well done, good advice, picking.
Speaker 2: Up the phone.
Speaker 5: It's really really good.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 8: So in my early twenties, I was like, why would I use a tax agent? Because tax time and a financial year and we're all like, yeah, tax return, right. I never used a tax accountant until maybe like four years ago. I'm gonna say, give or take little asterix. I can't remember anything. However, we did a mid year money reset episode on Two Broke Chicks and we pulled in this statistic, which I was like, this has just justified tax accountants for me for the rest of my life. So, on average, you get a bigger tax refund if you use an accountant. So, according to hr Bloc who did their own tax, people who did their own tax received a refund of two thousand, five hundred and seventy six on average in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: However, people who.
Speaker 8: Used a tax agent received an average of three thousand, five hundred and fifty. So the average cost of a tax agent in New South Wales ranges from one hundred and two hundred and sixty. So using this example, even if you paid two hundred and sixty you would still get an additional seven hundred and fourteen back if you did it.
Speaker 2: On your own.
Speaker 8: And I swear every year I'll go and I'll look if I just do it on my own, and then I do it with like an accountant and it's definitely a big difference, and I just think it's so much it's just worth it, and you don't have to do it.
Speaker 2: You save the time as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because tax is tricky.
Speaker 6: It is so complicated, and I mean like the system is set up well that if you know you can't afford to go to a tax accountant, the system is in place for you to be able to do it by yourself. But I remember the first time I saw an accountant, which was probably three years ago. I sat down and the list of things that she was She was like, you can claim like part of your house and you can claim this.
Speaker 8: Do you like that?
Speaker 6: I was like, oh my gosh, like I've been giving the government so much free money for the house, however long because you just don't know what you don't know.
Speaker 2: You can also pay.
Speaker 8: Them through your tax return, so they like will pull out their payment through that and then next year you can claim tax accountant on tax as well as I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, oh my god, yeah cool, I didn't know that.
Speaker 7: And also travel to your accountant as well.
Speaker 5: Petrol or public transport.
Speaker 6: Yeah, save the receipts, all the receipts, yeah, created receipts. It's a good reminder actually to book in to see if you are going to go see someone, book it in now, because my I booked it the other day and they were already booked out till September. So get in early because everyone's trying to get that refund as soon as possible.
Speaker 8: Then if you're like one month late, the fine is like over three hundred dollars. Yeah, it's crazy really yeah, but like every month, so I was telling me. And then if you're like two months late to do your tags, it's like six hundred dollars. It's like three hundred dollars every twenty eight days.
Speaker 4: That god.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 6: You get a lot longer though, if you have someone doing it professionally the time, the window for submission is a lot longer individual, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, Whereas if you do it on your own, it's until the thirty first of October.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So so if you like to put it off, also get.
Speaker 5: Not that I'm advising that. No, this is not fun, just a friendly recommendation.
Speaker 4: Living is so expensive, hence why we have a broke Tip segment to help you get through, to help you get by. As always, we have one for myself we usually have.
Speaker 5: A couple from the community.
Speaker 4: But what are we going to do is I'm just going to give one from the community, and you guys, if you happen to have a broke tip, combined or separate, we'd love to hear it. So I'll start off with the one from the community. The one from the community actually comes from my good friend. We've both been kind of hustling. We just went to Japan recently. We came back.
Speaker 5: We both broke. It was really really irresponsible to go to Japan.
Speaker 4: But like live, love, laugh, that's that's powerful and so basically her, you know, I think last I'm not sure if you remember this, yest, but like a few weeks ago I mentioned free Cash's like this dumb game and app. So she's found a few more ways since then. I think the most recent one is if you go on eBay. I'm sure there's so many people that knows already, but like if you just like suss out what is trending right now, what's making good money, and just like random things that you might already have in your home right now. It's like I think she found a few books, maybe some baby books. I can't remember exactly what ones. I'm so sorry for those listening and really wanting to know what I'm talking about. But you can find these in op shops and you can buy them for like four dollars at the op shop and then sell them on eBay for one hundred or several hundred dollars. So if you just like suss out what's trending on eBay and then go out into the world, go find them on either gum Tree. Everyone forgot about gum Tree. Gum Tree is still a thing, and it's for people who don't know the value of things, so.
Speaker 5: Or you know, marketplace.
Speaker 4: Of course, you can go through hard rubbish, op shops, all these things. Just hustle, hustle, hustle, find out what's trending and then go and find it real cheap and sell it on eBay. eBay is so good. Anyway, when I sponsored, are we by? Maybe I should look into it?
Speaker 5: Just isn't that clear?
Speaker 4: Just like the amount of times said Eva that lasts like thirty seconds. But anyway, so that's from the community aka my friend and my personal one. I'm not sure if you guys heard of this, but you know, dupes have been like kind of trending or something. It's like it's a big thing, like maybe you'll find like a really good perfume or like a really good jacket or whatever.
Speaker 5: Mc beauty of it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's all this TikTok. And it was this woman who was saying that it's a little bit controversial. But if you're an interior designer, if you're looking for maybe like really good quality furniture or things for your home, if you just type.
Speaker 5: In I believe the front of any ur l.
Speaker 4: Let's say that you've opened up an IR lounge or something like that. In front of that URL, you're right dupe dot com, and it will search the internet for that exact lounge cheaper versions of it. So it could be like less quality. I will preface it with that. It could be like the quality is not as good. Maybe they're slightly the shape is slightly different, but it will search the internet for you or scour the internet for you to find that exact I'll try and find the TikTok.
Speaker 5: And maybe we can put it somewhere. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, in the comments, I could see people were like kind of arguing, like, oh, interior designers spend a lot of time and effer and things. And I'm like, I totally get that. Like, if you're like an artist and you've created this beautiful couch and someone else's like kind of ripped it off and like selling it cheaper, I totally understand that. I guess it's for those people who just like literally will never be able to afford a four thousand dollars single seater couch, you know.
Speaker 5: So give it a go.
Speaker 4: But also, if you can afford to support artists, local artists, interior designers and these kind of people, please do. But if you are like me and maybe won't be able to spend four thousand dollars the same thing, then give it a go. Why not?
Speaker 5: Why not?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 6: Culture is so interesting because I think I completely agree there are some things like the artistic license, the ownership of the IP and all that, Like, I completely agree that we should be respecting those things. Yes, but sometimes it's like you're paying five hundred dollars for a T shirt with a logo on it or a T shirt with a design during me, and so it's interesting to think about I guess the markup or the value that you put on something for someone's you know, creation or whatever. I'm trying to find a way to say this delicately and not upset anybody. But there's also just a markup that you pay sometimes for a big corporation being like, well, what are you going to do? Like where else are you going to get it?
Speaker 5: Yes? So true.
Speaker 8: I think shopping jups is really identifying where your value sit because it is a spectrum. Because you know, there is a cost of living crisis and people do need to find affordable options, and sometimes that's just gets called a jupe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like an affordable option.
Speaker 8: It might not be a direct copy, it might not be that, and that gets deemed a dupe.
Speaker 2: Because that's the affordable option.
Speaker 8: We've always said that a jupe is something that serves the same purpose at the same quality, yes, and it's more affordable. Whereas like there's things I'm like, I just wouldn't get the dupe because I bought it. For example, like furniture was one of those things that I went really really cheap on and it came and it.
Speaker 2: Was the size of a children's couch and my dad came over and he was.
Speaker 5: Like, what did you do? And I was like, no, no, no, don't ask.
Speaker 2: Question was did you measure it, and I was like, look big in the photo.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but it's like you can find more affordable options, save purpose and have the same quality. Yes, but yeah, sometimes I think when you cut corners it bites you in the bum. But then sometimes when you find something that's really good quality and affordable, you're like, yes, that's it.
Speaker 6: I love that, like people sharing when they found something that he is a really good dupe or a really good alternative.
Speaker 4: To something so true and also just really quickly, I didn't realize that dupe was spelt this way, So I just want for anyone who's listening and doesn't in my mind it was j op for so long.
Speaker 8: I wish it was spelt like's have a rebrand.
Speaker 4: Yes seriously, but for those listening and don't know it is d u p E d u p E Okyo.
Speaker 2: People can here about them again.
Speaker 4: Trying to So it's just for me twelve thousand searches. Tube's really coming back. And now, do you guys happen to have any broot tips one or two or how many of you want to share.
Speaker 5: I'll give a quick.
Speaker 7: One and it's a shameless plug because it's end of financial year. Sales season, and for every sale event, Alex and I make a cheat sheet, which is a spreadsheet with all of the sales that are happening so that you can see them all and compare them all in one place.
Speaker 5: So definitely check that out.
Speaker 7: It will be on our Instagram, check out our TikTok we'll have all the links. But yeah, if you're doing your end of financial year sales, check out the cheat sheet so that you don't. The worst thing is when you go and buy some from somewhere and you're like, yes, I got a good deal, and then you say it somewhere else even cheaper, and you're like, oh yy. Plus, then you can also say and be like can I price match here and do that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so good. I've seen the list. They're actually epic. I can't imagine how long it takes you, So please go watch the video.
Speaker 4: Okay, I reckon, Let's go to a really quick break and on the flip side, we're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about keeping your budget in line or getting bargains at the end of financial US sale.
Speaker 5: And then after that we're unpacking something that you slid.
Speaker 4: Into our dms, about which this week is all about resetting your heads face after a toxic workplace and don't go anywhere.
Speaker 6: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 3: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve. The Cheese on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to so you're most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 5: I need some help.
Speaker 10: It's early June and I've already spent my entire budget for the month on the extras and fun stuff I.
Speaker 5: Set aside because it was my birthday.
Speaker 10: But with all these big end of financial year sales coming up, I'm a little bit stuck. I need a new hair dryer and things like running shoes. But I'm wondering do I prioritize getting these at a discount now and going over my budget for the month, or do I spend likely more money on them after the sales are over, but not going out of my budget. I am stressing. Please help.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a good question.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know how you feel.
Speaker 8: But I think like after doing because I was a shopping journalist before sal and I did Two Broke Chicks together, So I was a shopping journalist for like five years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: It was a great charm and so I were like so shopping focused too as well. But the one thing I've learned doing that job is that there is always another sale. There are so many sale events in the year that I would probably say, as tempting as it is to you know, get a really good.
Speaker 2: Deal and the things that you're shopping.
Speaker 8: For now, it will probably be two months max before there's another sale that you could be shopping again that I don't know if it's weather going over your budget.
Speaker 2: And did she say it was her birthday?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she said she blew her budget.
Speaker 6: I think a little bit this month because she's just had her birthday.
Speaker 2: Can we make a birthday wish list? Can we get a hairdry.
Speaker 5: Some vouchers?
Speaker 8: Maybe, because I'm like, if you can get some vouchers and put that towards it, then I'm like slay that doesn't count.
Speaker 2: It's free money. There's always another sale.
Speaker 8: It's not worth going over your budget for because there's always going to be a good deals, going.
Speaker 2: To be a really good deal.
Speaker 8: Like we see dice in air apps going on sale so much every year, like Black Friday last year, they're in the four hundreds. So it's like, I just don't think you need to because yeah, they're pretty pretty reoccurring.
Speaker 7: Yeah, especially for in her case, running shoes and hair dryers like those are things that regularly go on sale pretty much every sale event. Whereas if it was something like furniture or white goods, then I would say, okay, well that's when you typically do see the better sales.
Speaker 5: Around and a financial year.
Speaker 7: But you'll be able to get these things on sale during after Payday which is in August, or Click Frenzy again in November, or Black Friday of course in November.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Don't think it's worth blowing the budget either because another opportunity will come round. But keep those particular items if you really know what you want in your car, and keep an eye out on when they do go on sale so that when your budget does allow for it.
Speaker 5: You're going to be ready to go. Yes.
Speaker 6: The way that these sales work is by making you think that that deal is never going to happen again, which I think you guys do a lot of documenting on your page of the different sales of the different sale period, which I think is awesome. Like they literally it's a psychology that they feed into to create this frenzied mindset, which I think is so hilarious that they call it click frenzy because they're kind of exposing themselves.
Speaker 2: Twice a year as well.
Speaker 8: I mean, I read it for filth, but like the sales are pretty decent, especially towards the end of the year.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely. We've done a whole.
Speaker 8: Thing on like impulse shopping and how it'll be like twenty four hours only or not to be restocked, and like these are all marketing tactics, like you to click at cut and check out within an hour, because if it goes over an hour, then you're like, oh, do I need it? And then you're like twenty four hours, you're like, oh, probably not.
Speaker 2: How good is that feeling When you're like I'm glad I didn't buy that thing? About the money back in my pocket?
Speaker 6: I started keeping a list of things that I wanted, and I forgot about it, and I found it in my notes a couple weeks ago, and I was looking at just things that I wanted, you know, four months ago, five months ago, so many things on the list.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh, I don't care about that nail.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So it's crazy that twenty four hour mindset, even you know, such a short period can really be the circuit breakup between falling for the marketing and not. The other thing I'd say is reassess your definition of need. Potentially, you say you need a new hair dry Is that because yours broken you physically do not own one, or is it because you're using the same one you had? You know when you're in high school and you're like, oh, she's been ugly. She doesn't do the job the best, but she does do the job.
Speaker 5: I'm sitting right here, me to.
Speaker 6: Me because I desperately want the new Peek dice and air up instead of my six year old hot pink one.
Speaker 2: I have the old one too, and I still love her. I'm like, she's still kicking.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My Facebook marketplace.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got mine, I think in a sale and it was really cheap, but it's the short barrels along back.
Speaker 5: But do you know what I mean? Like, does it still dry my hair? Absolutely?
Speaker 8: It does. It's always going to be updated as well, yeah, to be like, oh I need the new, Like look at us with iPhones.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I'm literally my.
Speaker 8: Dad being like, look at a buying phone.
Speaker 5: I buy it every year.
Speaker 2: Phones don't work.
Speaker 4: Where often made so much better because no one like thought about planet obsolescence when they were making old products.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Now, like an iPhone will be like it will die in a year because that's what it's meant to do by design, by design. Damn you seriously. I think that's pretty great advice, And like, you know me, I wouldn't take you know, this kind of advice for myself because I would be like immediately, I was like, you gotta get it. You got to get those bargains, babe. But you guys had some really solid advice, so I would probably go with that. If you're listening to this, do not listen to me. Are you guys ready for a juicy money dilemma?
Speaker 5: I'm kind of like.
Speaker 4: Shaking, I'm gagging for it, So let's get into it. Here's this week's DM. Hey girls, I'm on the job hunt after leaving a toxic workplace and and feeling so relieved to be out of there, but also needing to get something soon. But I'm a bit terrifed by my headspace right now. I've pretty much been in an abusive workplace for two years and feel a bit broken, like after a bad breakup, and I'm worried I'm not putting my best foot forward because it stripped my confidence away. Any help you can give to reframe and refresh my thinking would be so appreciated.
Speaker 5: Oh, I just want to give Yeah, seriously. Yeah, it is a real tough one.
Speaker 4: But just like an abusive relationship, I know, it's a bit harder because you, like, you know, obviously need money.
Speaker 5: You need pay bills and things like that.
Speaker 4: I totally get that, But just like an abusive relationship, you do need to give yourself time to heal. It's a bit of a catch sween too, because I was going to like suggest therapy, but to pay for therapy you need a job sort of things. So I would say, just strip it all the way back down, you know, try and get a job. That's really chill really not easy at all by any means, but just like something that you can just leave at the at the door, you know, like maybe, for example, I love.
Speaker 5: Being a kitchen hand, genuinely love being a dishy.
Speaker 4: So if I was in this position, I'll be like, I'm just gonna get a really fun dishy job. I'm going to like go to like cafes and pubs and be like, what looks like a good team, these guys look cool, I might just like see if they have a dishy job available.
Speaker 5: You can just like go in.
Speaker 4: You don't have to think about anything, You have some fun, and you leave, like something that's so easy. Don't jump straight back into something that's high stress, potentially high stress, potentially toxic. Again, just take your time, just try and find something to bring money in, maybe go to therapy if you can afford it, and let yourself heal, let yourself he really take it as though it's an abusive relationship that you just got out of and you must heal before going back into a new one.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one of my friends actually did that.
Speaker 7: She was in like a really intense industry for probably ten years, like ever since we left High Score and then a series of unfortunate events happened to her as well, and she was like, I'm quitting this job.
Speaker 5: And then she was lucky enough that she was able to, you.
Speaker 7: Know, move back to our hometown and live with her family to take some of that financial pressure off, which I know everybody doesn't have the opportunity to do. But she went and worked in a bar for a few months, and she said it was the best thing that she ever did because it gave her, you know, a little bit of money to fall back on and continue to save, so she wasn't just digging into her savings, which would have been stressful. But also it was just a completely different workplace and headspace to what she'd been in previously, and she was actually able to switch off when she left work, which she could never do before. And then she also used some of that money to put towards therapy as well, which I think really helped her and helped build her confidence back up again. But I think it's a good reminder as well that if this person decides that they don't want to take, you know, maybe a career break, and they want to continue in the industry that they're in, when you're going into interviews, remember that the people that are interviewing you want you to succeed because they want to fill this position and they want you to be great. They're not waiting for you to come in and be like, all right, what's her baggage? Like you know, so what's she going to do to stuff up? Or they're not waiting for you to make mistakes. They want you to do well. And I think if you go into it with that mindset like, oh, they don't know about all of this stuff that I've been through, They don't know about perhaps these confidence issues that I have.
Speaker 5: They just see all of the great things.
Speaker 7: That I've got on my resume and in my coverletta, and that's what they see me for. Because I think sometimes you go in and they're like, Okay, they're going to know that I'm a fraud, or they're going to know that I'm not confident, but they don't know that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 8: Also reminding yourself that when someone's pushing confidence issues on you, that's often a reflection of them, Like this toxic workplace, which sounds horrible, was probably reflecting themselves inwardly, Like everyone deals with imposter syndrome and confidence issues and remembering that it was their issue, not yours, can sometimes be the thing that can push you to do the thing that you're nervous about doing.
Speaker 2: It's so okay to be nervous.
Speaker 8: It's so okay to you know, want to just like curl up on the couch to watch bridget Ten because same, but it's you're gonna hold yourself back for too long if you're not doing the thing that's scary because you know it's the same as like if you go through a bad breakup and then you're getting back into dating, that's gonna be scary. If you go through a bad workplace and getting back into a workplace, that's going to be scary. But if you don't give yourself the opportunity, you'll never find the thing that's good too, if you're scared that everything's going to be bad. So I think definitely what you said is like people want you to succeed. Like whenever Sale and I are nervous about something, people want to see you win. They don't want to see you fall on your face. So remembering that and just remembering that it's okay to be nervous, and sometimes writing down a list of things you can control and things you can't control. Is really helpful, especially if you're going to go into an interview as well. That can really help with nerves.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think as well. Have you guys seen that graph? It shows the way that the people you interact with the amount of time that you spend with them, the influence that they have on you and your perception of things. And as time goes on, we you know, at our midpoint of our lives where I think a lot of our community kind of sit We spend so much time with our co workers and potentially like less at the time with our friends, and so we really become a reflection. We internalize and take on a lot of those things from the people around us. And I know a big part of your new book is about finding like the right people to surround yourselves with, and obviously you're talking about friendship, but I think that is very applicable to a workplace as well, and finding the right fit for you. And as someone who has worked many a job and has lived quite a few career lives before I kind of found my footing, it is okay to go into somewhere, assess it, settle in, and decide that it's not right for you. Like I think, there is a bit of a mindset that you need to find exactly the right thing and you have to be there for ten years and you have to do if you get there and by you know, three or six months and you go the vibe is not the vibe, you can leave and that is okay, and that's not going to be held against you. And I think that they're so much value in finding not only a career that you find fulfilling in a job that you actually like doing, but also just a group of people because you spend so much time with them and it's really important that you can feel like you have a relationship with them and that a bit you know, a friendship on some level because you're spending that much time together that how they make you feel will have a direct impact on your self worth. It will have a direct impact on your day to day happiness.
Speaker 2: Thousand cent.
Speaker 8: We do actually talk about this in the book and how you can find your people in the workplace, because that's how Sala and I met.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we met through working together.
Speaker 8: And I think as well, especially if you're working at a big team, there's always going to be people you don't like, oh completely, that's just going to happen. But if you do have your people, then you do have your friends there or people that you can rely on. It means that at the end of the day you can like go bitch about the fucking water cooler or whatever you want to do and just be like, Okay, that wasn't the best, but at least I've got this to fall back.
Speaker 2: On and they can kind of lift you up and you can lean on them when you need it. Yeah, yeah, I just won't give them a heart.
Speaker 6: Ultimately, it's not about you, Like I just can't say enough.
Speaker 5: It is not your fault. It is a failure in management.
Speaker 2: Of managers, and it does do that.
Speaker 8: Like I went to therapy due to a manager, so I can really understand how she felt and the work actually sent me to the therapy because this is your fault, like.
Speaker 5: Eap, come through king.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but also just time, yeah, time, give yourself space.
Speaker 5: What did everybody else kind of think about the situation? Okay, so this is what everyone else had to say?
Speaker 4: One person said, report bad bosses, report income theft, report it all. Yes, queen, get it, which is good because like that means the next person won't have the same journey.
Speaker 6: Fair work covers that kind of stuff too, just for anyone wondering. I know, when we think about fair work, a lot of the time we think about like, yeah, not being paid correctly, super not being done. Fair work is actually there to ensure that there is a safe environment for you, and that includes mental health and mental stability. And so if you have a HR, I think HR is probably a better and closer first step. But if you work for maybe a smaller business or something like that, fair work does exist to help make sure that you as an employee are looked after, true, and so that's somewhere that you can report to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, good call.
Speaker 4: The next one says it can be a good lesson on how to not behave if you move into leadership slash people facing roles, which I think is a really good point obviously, Like I'm sure this person's probably know healing right now, so he isn't thinking about that, but it is really good to just like keep under your belt, keep in your pocket for if you exactly want not to do how to not treat someone. I think we do, like if we find ourselves in a leadership role someday it is good to go through these experiences because, like, Okay, I know that I will not be like this. Another person said, remind yourself of who you were before the crap job.
Speaker 8: You're still that person. That's really sweet, And it's not a good reminder that you aren't your job. No, you have other things that you like about yourself. Your entire success does not rely on your workplace.
Speaker 4: With your career, yeah, someone else said, and this is not really advice, but it is so true. We spend so much time at work. It's not healthy to be so exposed toxic energy. That's so true. Someone else said, it is always worth it to leave, and don't put pressure on yourself to get over it quickly.
Speaker 5: That is so true.
Speaker 4: And because exactly as this person said, exactly as I was saying before, like it literally is an abusive situation and abusive toxic workplace that you must heal from, So give yourself time. So I think this is a really good one to leave it on. It is so hard to spot bad culture. But don't feel bad about job hopping until you find your people.
Speaker 5: So true, beautiful, I think that's so true.
Speaker 4: I think just yeah, job hop find your people, heal take your time, do whatever you gotta do. Just make sure you remember who you were before.
Speaker 6: You started and who you want to be, like you want to still change, you can still adapt and shift like yes.
Speaker 4: Life is so long, despite what people say, life long. You can change, you can shape shift whatever you want to do.
Speaker 6: And speaking of finding your people, guys, thank you so much for joining us. Do you want to tell everyone a little bit about the book and where they can find it and what it is?
Speaker 8: Of course, So like we said before, this is kind of like our little friendship baby. So we have been doing two Broach Chicks for you know, the last two years and probably the most common question we get is how do I make friends as an adult? And according to a State of the Nation report in twenty twenty three, one in three Australians feel lonely some or at all times, which is just wild and huge because we don't.
Speaker 2: Talk about it.
Speaker 8: We don't talk about how hard it is to make friends because it is a little bit you know, overwhelming, and we might find it embarrassing and that's okay. So we kind of wrote this book to be like a bit of a best friend to people to help them find friendship within themselves, cut off toxic relationships and also to find their people.
Speaker 5: And you can shop at wherever all good books are sold.
Speaker 7: So you know all the usuals booked Opia, DMN, mix Kmart, big w. We also did an audio book That's your Thing too, so that's available on Spotify Audible. Just give it a Google and you'll find it amazing and we might remember but obviously give a plug for your socials just in case anyone miss the last episode.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, of course.
Speaker 7: So you can follow us on Instagram at two Broke Chicks, on TikTok at two Broke Chicks Underscore, and check out our podcast two bread Chicks.
Speaker 5: You made it nice and easy for a Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 4: It has been such a pleasure and please come back again anytime.
Speaker 2: So it's been so nice doing it in person this time, Yes.
Speaker 6: So much better, isn't that when you can just feel?
Speaker 4: And that also means that we can all now go get a coffee. Okay, guys, Victoria will see you bright and early Monday morning. Until then, have a great weekend.
Speaker 5: By guys, bye bye.
Speaker 3: Did buy shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Shepper Pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine