Speaker 1: Britta, Laura, come on in, Hello everybody, Hello Thursday everyone.
Speaker 2: I want you to but say it.
Speaker 3: I am sat, hang on.
Speaker 2: I want everyone to know.
Speaker 3: Thirteenth of the sixth, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: I want you to remember this day because this is the day that I never thought would come.
Speaker 3: This is the day officially you heard that.
Speaker 4: Brittany Hockley is taking off the market because I got again, Brittany.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I genuinely know what would happened.
Speaker 2: We all knew it was going to happen.
Speaker 4: I am so shocked and I get upset every time I think about it, because it was really beautiful. I've been in a little love bubble for like a week, and I just I don't want to say what I feel that drump at this moment forever because I didn't but I did for a long time think I was never going to find my person. And I just have met the most amazing man in Ben, my fiance.
Speaker 3: You know, like I mean, we've been friends.
Speaker 5: We've been friends for almost six years now, and we've been doing life on podcast for five and a half years. And I have seen you through every version, through being in love, through dating, through going through heartbreak, and I know you have said on many occasions that you had felt unlovable.
Speaker 2: Oh stop.
Speaker 3: And I'm so happy for you, guys. I'm only gonna ever, I really am. I'm so happy for you guys.
Speaker 6: Love you.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy for me.
Speaker 2: To cry too. I can cry as well if you are. I've seen the size of the ring.
Speaker 7: It's enormous. It's beautiful.
Speaker 3: It is it truly is enormous. But it like I only I saw.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I kept it to myself for the last week, and I only let Laura know earlier day, and I also let Mitch note earlier today. And in true style, I pranked Mitch because I just it's not in me to be like a true romantic and going to live the news. So I did prank you to tell you the news.
Speaker 3: Took Mitch a little while.
Speaker 2: To pick up no idea what was going on. She was waving her hand in the air. I'm like, is there a fly in the studio?
Speaker 3: But you couldn't see that massive. When you say waving it around, it was more like just dragging it along.
Speaker 2: The desk has its own orbit like gravitational ball.
Speaker 3: For the host of the pick up, Mitch, you don't pick up very quickly.
Speaker 2: I don't know. So we're going to play you that moment coming up. But we are celebrating Brittany Missus Secrets, he.
Speaker 3: Producer Secret.
Speaker 2: We've got a bunch of flowers. We're happy for you, we love you.
Speaker 3: You have to pre think about this.
Speaker 2: We prepared a lot. Take the flowers. We'll put a pick up on, We'll put a photo on the pick up socials.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I feel like I just won Miss Universe.
Speaker 2: Well you did, you did. You got a hot boyfriend and you got a giant rock, so we.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're winning it life right now.
Speaker 2: Britt give us a story later in the show. Okay, we want the full proposal story.
Speaker 3: We're going to get all the details coming up.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start the show. We're doing a normal ask gun cut. Next, we have a listener who needs some of our help, so we're going to get them on the show after this. Right around Australia, it's the pick Up with Missus Secret. If you're just tuning in, it's a very special Thursday edition to the pick Up. Britney Hockley's in game.
Speaker 5: It's almost not Brittany Hockley anymore. And be Britney Secret. Yes, so the best day ever. It's so exciting.
Speaker 2: She's got a ring, she's got a full story the moment that Britt told me as well. I was pranked in all this.
Speaker 4: It's so beautiful, Like my face hurts from smiling.
Speaker 2: That is all.
Speaker 3: We're so happy for you, honey.
Speaker 6: Come out.
Speaker 2: We'll get here about fifteen minutes. We have to do this as Uncut.
Speaker 5: We do this every Thursday, and despite the very good news, today is no exception.
Speaker 3: And that is ask gun Cut. It's where you guys call up.
Speaker 5: You have your dilemmas, your biggest, deepest, darkest problems, and we do our best to answer them. Now we have Tim on the line and he has a four month old baby. We need some help.
Speaker 3: Oh Timmy, Hi Tim, what's happening?
Speaker 8: My wife and baby are obviously amazing, but she's doing so much and I'm just trying to get a bit of advice on how to sort of break up that monotony with a bit of a special date to take her out and show her how special she is. And I know she's a fan of the show, so she'd really love anything that sort of came from you guys.
Speaker 2: What you want us to pay for the day. So I guess she's a fan mate.
Speaker 4: But I first of all, Tim, I want to say, this is incredible, the fact that you're even self aware enough to know that your partner is doing a great job and needs some help.
Speaker 3: This doesn't happen often, but I'm going to throw over to Laura.
Speaker 4: Laura is the only one in the room that is a mum, and I feel like, you know what these people need in this moment.
Speaker 5: Laura, you haven't slept for five years, no, I mean four months. You were absolutely in the thick of it. I think back when I had my babies and and honestly, look that everyone wants different things because I think every mum is different, right, There's going to be different things that we all enjoy. But one thing that I think made my life so much easier was when Matt, my husband, would come home. He would cook the meals, he would clean the house, he would do everything else. Like the only thing I had to focus on was making sure I kept that baby alive.
Speaker 3: Because Lola didn't want to go to anyone else but me. Supersmil job keeping a child alive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's and it's around the clock right, you're not sleeping, but he did everything else for a period there, and that just like it really really lightened the load. So I guess firstly, my big question to you is is when you say your wife's doing an amazing job and you're you've got this beautiful, happy family household, do you feel as though you're stepping up to the plate and doing all the extra bits to make her life as easy as possible in the first place.
Speaker 8: I mean, I like to think I am, yeah, But I guess it depends on what you don't know.
Speaker 2: You don't know, right, Have you asked her?
Speaker 3: Well, I think you can always do more, tim that's a good take.
Speaker 2: Are you just offering? Because I'd assume that at least the thought that all that the question would make her feel really seen, Like, are you asking if there's anything else you can do?
Speaker 8: I try to. I think it's I definitely try to like walk that line between obviously you know, not wanting to be what's the term weaponizing competence where you're constantly happy to ask for the how you can be doing things rather than just doing them. Got Timmy, you.
Speaker 5: Sound like the most emotionally where a man we've ever spoken to on this show.
Speaker 3: To be honest, you need help.
Speaker 5: The other thing as well is and I mean I think all mums would attest to this, but like having your partner once you're up in the morning, like take the baby out of the house, go for a walk, just like sometimes it's not just the like doing things around you, but it's actually physically taking the baby away so that when and when you are at home or in your space, you're not listening to a cry, you're not having to worry about it still being in your space, you've had your partner take that baby away for a couple of hours so that you can actually spend some time on yourself. Maybe it's booking a massage. Maybe it's like organizing for the two of you to get a babysitter for the night so you can go out.
Speaker 3: For a romantic dinner or something.
Speaker 5: But maybe she's not even up for that yet because she might be too bloody tired to get.
Speaker 3: Dressed and go out for dinner. But no, I think that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Space.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think gets get take the baby for a walk for an hour or so, but don't just leave her to own device, says book her in for a facial or a massage so she can relax, enjoy her own time. Check out for hot second before she goes back to the craziness of a new life.
Speaker 2: Don't just don't don't don't dote doting dad, doting dad, be a doting dad, Tim, Can you do that?
Speaker 8: I'll do my best. Thank you.
Speaker 2: What a man God that get her a message? That is one man that listens to some podcasts and reads self help books. He sounds so new age. Hey, you got a question? Sorry? You can hit us up on the pickup, You can DMS or you can text us on four nine nine double four one o six five four nine nine four four one six five.
Speaker 3: And you might have heard the big news.
Speaker 4: But if you haven't yet, I'm about to tell you Brittany Hockley is no longer well she will be.
Speaker 3: She's speaking about a seven third person though.
Speaker 2: Do you want us to talk about it?
Speaker 4: Brittany Hockley is about to become Brittany Segres because I got engaged to my beautiful partner Ben.
Speaker 3: I'm a fiance. Yeah, I know, and I know.
Speaker 5: The thing that everyone is actually waiting to hear is how did it happen? Like the story about choosing the ring, all of those things. I'm going to be talking about it next.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the moment that I actually sprung in on our good friend Mitch Jury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for that one, my heart. We'll play the audio for your next on the Pickup today. Very excited because I got engaged.
Speaker 4: And by I'm talking about Brittany Britney Segris. You can call me very soon. The biggest, most beautiful day of my life happened and my beautiful partner Ben got on one day and ask him to marry him. And I've had to keep it to myself because I wanted to tell you guys, Laura and Mitch, I see you more than anyone, and I wanted to share the biggest day of my life with you in person. Okay, the most humiliated, humiliating part of this is that it happened on the weekend. Britt wanted to tell us on Monday on the show, but I got gastro and I had to take Monday Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Because I have remembered that. In the Pickup group chat, Britt was so piaceed. Laura's like I'm sick, I've got gastro in. BRIT's like how bad is it? Could you come just to the show.
Speaker 3: What's the frequency of poops? I was like, I can't hold it together.
Speaker 5: Guys, No, Brittin, you were actually considering that you had literally the biggest news that you've ever had in our entire for our six year friendship. You took it very well that I wasn't coming to work that day. You rest up, do you? But you know what I honestly the way in which you surprise me. We do the podcast together Life and Cut podcast every Monday. Every Wednesday, we record the pod, and on Wednesday morning, we were doing our normal Ask Guncut episode where we answer listener questions and I can't believe that you managed to get to the end of the recording and then you snuck it in there.
Speaker 4: I pulled one over, the ultimate, the ultimate pull over, laur, I have a listen. Then, in twenty twenty two, I met this amazing guy, but he lived overseas. My friends were really concerned because long distance is never easy and I've always had commitment issues, But this time it felt different and I thought he was worth it. Flash forward to now and I've never been happier. And last week on a beautiful island he asked me to be his wife. You just want to know, what's a cute way to tell my friends that I'm getting married?
Speaker 3: Spoiler, it's me.
Speaker 4: How did you leave it to the question because she's got diarrhea?
Speaker 3: I was gonna tell you on Monday.
Speaker 5: It took me, Okay, I like looked up because I was kind of like half listening to the question, but also also I was reading No, I was reading the next question, which I had to voice, and I looked up and Britt was crying, and I was like, this is it?
Speaker 3: And then it clicked up. She goes, why are you crying?
Speaker 5: It took five seconds for the penny to drop, and then I started crying.
Speaker 3: And then by the end of it, I was leaking from every our.
Speaker 5: First I was crying, I was winning, I was it was just it was all happening.
Speaker 4: Well then you got me as well, Yeah, because I and part of me felt bad for not just like getting on the phone and telling you guys straight away, but that's not how we roll here.
Speaker 3: I wanted to do in person, and obviously I wanted to capture it.
Speaker 2: And you've got a radio show, and that is your living cameras and where.
Speaker 3: Is the microphone.
Speaker 4: Then here's the moment I got mich which took a lot longer than I had a hope.
Speaker 2: Well, I think for context were recording something, but we never you said we need to pre record this for the radio show. Yeah, and we'll air it later on. I'm like, Okay, this will go to air. But this, this was all fake. This was never gonna make.
Speaker 7: It to air.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fake. I have a had the best weekend of my life.
Speaker 4: Like I think I told you guys about Hamilton il On how I crashed that person's wedding photo shoot.
Speaker 2: Yeah you did on Monday. You told us that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 4: I told you all about that. And what I didn't tell you is so many people sent me photos.
Speaker 3: In about like with me in the background.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And are you recording?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Are you recording? What are you missing something? Are you recording this? Mitchy? I think you stop.
Speaker 2: She's got a ring on, she's engaging at the market.
Speaker 3: You took so long to get that, Mitch, I'm so offended.
Speaker 5: Okay, But the thing about this, brute, I mean, we genuinely for the two of you, we could not be more happy. But Mitch and I both had the inkling, like we both knew in our own ways that it was coming. We just didn't know it was coming last weekend. And the fact that you managed to keep it to yourself for so many days, Like you got us so well, because even.
Speaker 3: Though we knew, we couldn't have been more shocked. That's because I'm a trained actor. But yes, please go.
Speaker 2: On, because I knew I had the trained idiot you are not. I had the date, so I was talking to Ben. I knew the date. I knew it was the six of the six. So then when it didn't happen, I messaged Ben and was like, I emoji, what's going on? And he's like, oh, we had a running we didn't we didn't get time. The trip was amazing, and I was like, wow.
Speaker 5: We have been texting each other and we were like, oh my god, he didn't do it.
Speaker 3: It didn't happen. It didn't happen.
Speaker 5: So the fact that you managed to keep it in yeah, I mean, Britt, it doesn't matter how you told us, We could not be more happy for you and for like, yeah, we know how much you have been I don't want to say like looking for love. It's such a dumb thing to say, but like as much as you've always been like the hopeless romantic, you've very much, for quite a few years spoken about how it hasn't always go on your way and like this is your fairy tale and it truly Then is an amazing guy, and.
Speaker 3: We're so so happy for you both.
Speaker 4: And I think you know it happened when it was meant to happen.
Speaker 3: But I can't wait to tell you guys more about it. Ben is coming in very very soon. We getting to get to talk to him in person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to hear the full story. Ben's BRIT's fiance. Ben, and.
Speaker 5: About the ring what everyone wants to hear about, right, thank you, no one even cares.
Speaker 2: Let's put someone like shut up the ring, Ben joins us. Next on the pick up, we're celebrating Brittany Hockley. Our very own is engaged.
Speaker 5: It's no longer the pick Up, it's the Brittany Hockley's getting married show.
Speaker 3: Brittie Hockley's a fiance.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I never say that and throw your you got a ring on it? You haven't done more.
Speaker 3: I am white and I am a fiance.
Speaker 2: I'm just spitting fact, Britt got engaged. Yeah, we don't have the story, so you surprised. Laura and I. We played that out before. We need to hear the story. Your beautiful Beyonce Ben is here in studio with us. Welcome Ben.
Speaker 7: Hello, guys, guys.
Speaker 3: I feel like we've I don't want to say we've known.
Speaker 5: We haven't known about when it was happening, but no, but we have known it has going to be happening. So, Britt, I don't know if you're aware of this, but maybe two and a half months ago, Ben slid into my DMS and was like, Hey, I'm going to propose to Britt, and I want to talk about rings and being sneaking, being the fact that I moonlight as a jury designer. That's my that's my real job's a radio host.
Speaker 2: Your job is jewelry.
Speaker 5: So I was in the DMS with Ben trying to sort out, you know, like we're trying to give some advice around like what type of stone might work in terms of like the cart. Also, at the time, this is something you definitely don't know. You were in the African jungle doing I'm a celebrity, Get me out of here and so I had access to your Instagram because I was taking care of it at the time.
Speaker 3: I was worried about that.
Speaker 5: Actually, well, it's very good thing that you had a lot of engagement rings saved in your saved items and Instagram.
Speaker 3: So I went back through and I screenshot everyone, and there is the radio. She's like, you had a power of engagement.
Speaker 2: I saw it too. It was Australian shepherd dogs and it was engagement.
Speaker 5: It was it was like a stream of stream and stream of just engagement rings like scroll and scroll and scroll. But honestly, they were all a very similar shape. They're all a very similar style, and so I just sent them all to bend. So thank you, Britt for doing all the due diligence of being very thorough in exactly what you wanted.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so, Britt, isn't it I mean, look, you could have you could have sent the same kind of rings, the same shapes, but you say, I think you saved like different shapes and all that kind of stuff. So I was like, she's not doing it the easy one, you know, she's not doing it easy for me, Like it's different carts and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 7: You had like an oval then you had like.
Speaker 5: I don't know, but you know what the common theme was is that they were all massive the stone.
Speaker 3: No, I did have to be fair.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had some squares, I had ovals, I had different shapes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, very confusing for someone who doesn't know a lot about rings. But that's why I reached out to you, Laura, because I knew you could help.
Speaker 7: I knew he was it was gold you preferred.
Speaker 6: Obviously I was speaking to you to your sister Sherry, and obviously she would help, but I knew she had access to Instagram. You kind of hint the stuff to me without being you know, too aggressive on it.
Speaker 3: I sent you direct for me.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean it happened on the weekend you guys were away in Hamilton Island. Did you have any idea did you? Did you have any inkling into the lead up of the day that it was going to happen.
Speaker 4: I genuinely didn't. And now here's an exclusive. The night before I said to Ben, I was like, something's not right. And we're at dinner and I said something doesn't feel right. I was like, are you okay? And he was like, yeah, why, And I was like, you just I feel like you've been different, and he was.
Speaker 3: Then I could see him in hindsight. He clocked it, and I was like.
Speaker 7: No, just you know, I was very nervous before I was.
Speaker 6: I was okay on the day because I I didn't tell you what we were going to do, because I thought, you know, if I tell you earlier, your brain starts ticking and working and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 7: So I tell her last minute, so she's unprepared, so we'll just go for it.
Speaker 6: So I was okay on the day, but the night before I couldn't sleep. We're at dinner and we're not having an argument. We're having a discussion. Let's see, you were.
Speaker 3: Having an argument the night before.
Speaker 7: It was discussion discussion.
Speaker 4: She felt, wait, what about just because I felt he would not not not really.
Speaker 7: Anything, probably about ping pong?
Speaker 2: Then where did you hide the ring and your luggage flying over? Because did you wrap it in undies or something?
Speaker 6: No, I've got I had it in the box obviously a typical box, but put it in my hand luggage to make sure it's on me at all times. You know, luggage gets lost and all that kind of stuff. I don't want it to sailing off to you. Know, all over the globe, so I had it on me at all times, but then you know she goes through my stuff all the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I have a.
Speaker 3: Question for you. How did you know that Britt was the one that? A great question? When did you know that?
Speaker 7: I don't know when.
Speaker 6: But I'm a person that really much, really like really goes off feelings like you got feeling, and I just I knew the feeling was right. I knew that's the woe to spend the rest of my time with. I think we're both at an age where we're done with all the games. We're settling our relationship whatever it is, the long distance, and we're trying to make it work as good as best as we can. But also I think it would give both of us a lot of security if we knew where our future was going.
Speaker 7: And I thought that was a big sign.
Speaker 6: It's just who doesn't want to spend the rest of their life with a person that makes you want to be better, who makes you laugh, who's always there for you, supports you in your career. You know, if anything happens in my life, good or bad, I just want to, you know, run to her and tell her. And you know, share my day with her. It's one of those feelings you have when you're just truly happy because of the person that she is.
Speaker 7: Seeing you together is beautiful.
Speaker 2: You guys are such a gorgeous couple physically and then together like you compliment each other so well. We're so happy for you.
Speaker 5: And also I was skeptical on the start because I do remember that bad and I was first, Yeah, I mean you just saw a beautiful man walking and you were like, yeah, he'll do close to me. I have seen Britt have her heart broken throughout our friendship, and that was an awful thing. You know, one wants to see their friend be hurt, and I genuinely want to say, like, Ben, thank you so much for making her the happiest that she's ever been.
Speaker 3: And I can't wait for you guys to get married. Happy for you guys. Really, I am the happiest I've.
Speaker 7: Ever been on record.
Speaker 2: All right, well they're going to smooch, so let's let's cry.
Speaker 3: I'll start paying for that.
Speaker 2: We are done. We'll see you all tomorrow. You know what.
Speaker 5: We are doing a big episode on Tuesday on Life on Cut podcast. If anyone wants to know any more about the engagement, the proposal, all of that.
Speaker 3: I mean, we do.
Speaker 5: It's long form content, so you get the real nitty gritty in that. But that's going to be Tuesday's episode on Life on Cut podcast.
Speaker 4: Because the stuff that you don't even know yet, Laura, and this stuff you don't even know, Britt.
Speaker 2: I'm not on that. Can't wait, all right, see tomorrow. Goodbye bye, guys,