Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money. She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome On the Money, the podcast Millennials who want Financial freedom. My friends, today is Friday, which means we are back and it is time to get our little team together to celebrate you our incredible She's on the Money community today, Miss Bech Sayeed is going to be sharing her broke Broke tips. Mister Grici, She's back with her money wins and confessions from the community. We're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about what you should be doing with an inheritance, and we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our dams about which this week we're chatting about sharing rent and bills with a partner, which I think can be a little bit of a fickle topic for some. But as you guys know, I have been off for a little while. I've been just having a baby. Which turns out he's decided to join the show today his carrier. He has been perfectly asleep up until right now, and he's decided, ah, here that there's a mum talking, and there's a Jess, and there's a Beck, and I want to be involved. So you any squeaks or little moans, it's from a sleeping baby called hearty because I had a boy in my friends it's so cute. Or maybe me and me or Jess my fall a sleep at some point. Yeah, but that's so hard to like if I start singing or swaying, please just cut that out of the episode. But how have you been?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, everyone's back together, excited and allowed to be back.
Speaker 2: Our guests weren't so exciting that you wanted to kick me off the show, and like, just do guests forever, not at all like, well, we checked, they were actually busy. Yeah, yeah, we did check.
Speaker 4: We did offer some which we tried some contracts and stuff, but unfortunately nothing worked out.
Speaker 3: Now, oh my.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I'm so sorry that that happened to you, guys. I will let you know that I am going to go on a holiday soon and so I'll give you a few extra guests for that period of time. But after that, I'm back for good. Okay, So apologies in advance for the chop shop of she's on the money at the moment, but I wanted to come back. I didn't want to, like keep doing the guest episode thing. I did one a few weeks back with you guys, and then I'll go on holiday and you will watch via my Instagram stories and then I'll be back.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, that's so fine. I'm happy that you're back. I really missed out all about dynamics together, like this is how it's meant to be.
Speaker 2: We're a good little team. Uhye. I really like this. I like us, And I mean that's biased because I am us. I feel like other people could validate that though, But let's get into the episode. I am very excited. I feel like I've missed out on a lot. Beck, if you've got some broke tips for us this week? If so, what are they? Can you share with the team? Of course I can. Okay, So these are a little bit unhinged, and I just want to say I expected to be completely hinged by the time I returned.
Speaker 4: True, I was that was my goal. I was like, when Victoria gets back, I'm going to impress her.
Speaker 2: With another broke tip. Exactly exactly. I do want to say.
Speaker 4: When I started the broke tips thing, I was like, I'll share my own, which I quickly realized We're a little bit too unhinged. So I'm going to go back to that. Okay, But anyway, Love, you'll see what I mean. So firstly, we have two from the community. The first one comes from Chesney. I hope I'm saying that right, Chesney says, And this is again something I have mentioned before, but we have a new addition to what I mentioned. So get a library card. You can get audiobooks for free. We have mentioned Libby, but this is a new one I had not mentioned before. I did not know about borrow box. Has anyone heard of that before?
Speaker 2: No, you're right, this is new Becky is good at trying to recycle, but this is not recycled. When this is new and fresh, it is reduced for use.
Speaker 4: Recycle, they want to say, So borrowbox is I believe it's essentially the same thing. You can also get fifteen hours of audiobooks, of course for free with Spotify Premium. You can also have more than one library card, so if you join multiple times, if they don't have what you want, you can ask like more libraries and more.
Speaker 2: You could borrow cheese on the money from multiple places. True true, get it back to back to back. You could just read it over and over and over again till it seems exactly. I would like people to consume my books.
Speaker 3: Three out, one more out very soon if you haven't pre ordered it.
Speaker 2: It's out. Money Diaries is coming out at the start of May, which is very very exciting, very exciting.
Speaker 4: So that's a good one borrow Box, so have a little googs. The next one comes from Bridget who says that some airlines let you purchase your checked baggage using your airline miles instead of cash.
Speaker 2: So I'm booking a flight on a budget.
Speaker 4: You can book the basic economy seat, which is always cheaper, but it doesn't include the free checked bag, So use your miles to save some money.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that was a thing's smart. I didn't realize to do that totally. Would have been nice for you to give me that tip before I booked my.
Speaker 4: Flights, literally me in America last year, paying like one hundred and fifty dollars you don't wait baggage. I was, oh, my goodness, because I'd stucked up on pumpkins.
Speaker 2: It was, it's so funny, what we're not joking? She went to where was it Target, Target in the US, and she bought a whole heap of these plastic, hollow pumpkins because Australia doesn't have that much Halloween decorations. And you do love a theme, just doesn't love a thing. Jess is the theme, like she is the moment. She needed her pumpkins. We were all very supportive of it, but we all laughed a lot when the pumpkins cost her a lot of money to get home. And that wasn't just one hundred and fifty dollars back, it was one hundred and fifty usd Oh, that's like three hundred dollars or something yeah, it was. Don't don't tell it. Sorry, we decided not to work that out. Next time, I'll use my airline for it.
Speaker 4: Yes, good idea, or maybe no pumpkins, but whatever.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous we need to bring the pumpkins.
Speaker 4: That's so true. Okay, so my tip is very on topic. Actually, so this might help you in the future. And this is something I have always done, but I've never actually acknowledged it until I saw this airline baggage broke tip come through. So what I do every single time I travel. I am scared of aeroplanes, so it's not often, but when I do, I will usually just take one bag with me and the way I do that like, and it usually has no clothing in it because what I do is I wear several pairs of underwear, several pairs of stocks. I promise you, several pairs of pants shirts in that way. That way, I don't have to put any clothes in my bag.
Speaker 2: Why beck Best, Yes, Hippy, surely you've got enough space for the undies. I probably do, Like, surely there's enough, Jesse, are right. It's so I'm literally crying. I'm so sorry. Several pairs of shoes. No, you don't you don't wear multiple don't take it? Actually do And this is because I'm like so nuiced to it. Why, well, like the undies are like your undies that they don't fit down the side in the bag that your carriage.
Speaker 3: You're crying, guys, but you said the thing that you said, the bag is empty.
Speaker 2: Hold us, what's in the bag? Your stuff in the bag's empty? But what are you putting in the bag? So, buddy, so all your other things?
Speaker 4: So like let's say, like when I do this, that means I don't have to have any checked baggage.
Speaker 2: You know what, I don't have to go and check any bag. But you know you can have carry on, right, you can carry on one baggage all all the.
Speaker 4: Stuff, everything I've ever needed is in the carry on and all my clothes are of my body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like, is there not any room left in the carry on? Like both Jess and I chronic overpackage. Like we know we are the worst, okay, but but if we are going to Sydney for the weekend, you best believe both of us can pack just to carry on and get this back our clothes in the carry on.
Speaker 3: How long are you talking about? Like how long of a trip are you doing this?
Speaker 2: Like' just headed off to the US, and She's got.
Speaker 5: Usually like I'll do this if I'm like, I don't usually go overseas, but if I do, all do this, you know, and then I'll just kind of like sort it out when I get there.
Speaker 2: But then do you have to then wash all pairs of nickers or do you detail clean because they've technically had a barrier of nickers between them. Yeah, well anything after the second pair, Yeah, I agreed, And then I am so concerned about your mental health right now.
Speaker 4: But also, this is the other thing too, is that my partner, my girlfriend.
Speaker 2: I remember when this was like full secret. I know now it's not a secret that all spam each other on Instagram, and I'm like, oh yeah, real subtle guys.
Speaker 4: It's actually really like low Keino would really thousand people. But yeah, so she often like goes and she will like way back ahead of time.
Speaker 2: But sometimes you just get stuck and you go.
Speaker 4: When you get on the plane, you don't realize but you're actually like a kilo or over and that might be like one hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know how much it costs because it's never happened to me because I'm always wearing.
Speaker 2: But like what if what if yes go where you just underpack? Like what if you if you everything in your suitcase and then if you got there and it was over, then I would be like, oh, you can put your jacket on or you can put an extra top on it. That point, I think we've all done the airport shuffle, Like for sure when the bags and that'll be one hundred dollars, you go, no, sir, no, sir, I will make this way and then you put every But that's why Jack, I'm just too awkward. I'd be like, oh, yes, I've paid for that. So that's why I have to do it ahead of time. I just broke tips. And if anyone can tell our producer doesn't okay them before they get to the show.
Speaker 4: We literally just stop doing that. That's why I'm like, I'm going to go.
Speaker 2: I'm going I like it. I like it. It's a good ship. It's one that I probably won't take my shot, but someone out there might be really interested in that. Speaking broke tips though, our friend Indy Simmons has she started a new podcast, Yes and You went on it recently, didn't you. I sure did. Beck what's it called cheap skates? And what do you talk about on cheap skates?
Speaker 4: So she will kind of like get a true story. She's always telling true stories about a very like, you know, a cheap skate of any kind, and they usually quite outrageous stories, more than just wearing oil clothes on the plane.
Speaker 2: And yet like they're way better, yeah, a way better. This is this is my way of making up for our terrible broke tips is to give you a better podcast.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, and so you'll go on only she does has two episodes out now, but she has many more in the bank, so just keep an iron ear out.
Speaker 2: She's had Marley from Big Brother.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but I certainly do because he's very good looking. And then we have myself, I have a girlfriend. Step back, I know, Oh my goodness, what I'm talking about? Cut that out please, And then we have Alex Water's a comedian and etcetera, etcetera.
Speaker 2: So she's a very well connected lady, and as a friend of the show, I feel like it only makes sense to promo her pod because it's about Cheapskates to We'll put a link to her show in our show notes so you can go and check it out. But it's very, very cool, and I'm very excited about it because they're the pervy stories that everyone wants to hear, especially when it's about money. Yeah, there's a really neat story. But let's segue back to the community. Jess Ricci, what have you got when it comes to money wins and confessions?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: My first money is going to be new to me, oh Man Mattley. For all I did was read these threads your favorite you. I had so much photo. I was like, what's going on? Please this little like the little orphan outside the window.
Speaker 3: Some more. My first money win this week is from Rhiannon, who said money win.
Speaker 2: Coal's bag. She wrapping paper.
Speaker 3: She forgot to buy wrapping paper, so she cut up a Coals bag, flipped it inside out, and wrapped the gift. She used a bow off the sheet that she got on clearance after Easter for fifty cents. That's really smart, really smart, and it looks she put in a photo. It looks just like the fancy butcher's paper wrapping.
Speaker 2: Oh, she's a genius. It looks beautiful. Do you know what? I would one love to get that gift looks really cute, but I'd keep be like, oh, she's a smart cookie. Once I opened it and realized it was a coals bag, I'd be like this old genius because they're hard to reuse the paper bags, Like if you're not like and I buy the paper bags because I know they're better for the environment than those like quote reusable plastic ones, Like they're not really that reusable because no one actually packs them up and takes them back to the supermarket. Right, Such a good way to reuse the bag. I love that.
Speaker 3: Next, I've got a money win from Amy, who said my partner signed up to do some product reviews and they sent us four tubes of toothpaste. She said they're covered up, but it's easy to tell what brand they are, so I think it's like a think it's like a blind test kind of. She said, fifty bucks a toothpaste for free, and then once we use them and review them, we get a fifty do gift card. Money.
Speaker 2: That's so good? Is that? How long would it take you to get through four tubes of toothpaste?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: If two people are using it, not that I don't know, like your standard tube. Yeah, Like I couldn't even tell you how quickly I go through toothpaste.
Speaker 3: It's one of those things you feel like you have heaps and then all of a sudden, like you have one. That's true, I'm queezing tory, like cunning the tube.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's never in between. No, they really bought a pump toothpaste, and I thought that was genius because I was like, cool, like that's really easy. Yeah, but we're not giving them credit. They mark it everywhere. They do not need us either. It's the weird flavors for me. No, No, I got the smooth mint, don't worry. I got the like I like bacon or something. No, I just I don't know how clean my teeth would feel after using a flavor toothpaste. I agree, however, I did this is a bit rogue. I did buy the Colgate toothpaste the other day because it's peach flavored. But it's like peachy mint, and the second I tried it, I was like, Jess is gonna love this? That sounds delicious. Yeah, so I'll get you some toothpaste. But the pump, you just don't know when it's gonna end because with the tube you can kind of see it and track it. I just ran out of toothpaste and I was like, wait, what, I don't like that now there's none stressful stressful, very stressful. Carry on, Jess, Sorry, you're fine.
Speaker 3: Next day for money went from Lisa, who said, after receiving an almost forty percent increase on our Home and Contents insurance renewal, I called around, I got some quotes, and I was able to almost have that renewal, which means this year we're actually paying less than last year money.
Speaker 2: Weird, and also a really good reminder that if you've been looking at your budget and you're like, oh, there's nothing I can really cut out, have you actually reviewed the expenses you have? So if you've got some you know, insurance that you're paying for, is that the best deal? If you're paying more than thirty bucks a month for your SIM plan on your phone, that's too much in my opinion. So like review, review, review, and always try and cut down pre existing expenses. We're not saying get rid of the expense, just so if you can get a better deal, yeah.
Speaker 3: And don't Yeah, we have that. Get a better deal script on our website. So good deal you head to the resources page. It right free it is. Next, I've got money win from Lisa, who said that's a second Lisa, but Lisa, This Lisa is spelled with two eas different Lisa. Lisa said, I pressure washed the house last weekend and I got water into an external light fitting. No, it blew the lights in our entire house and the solar power. I thought it was going to be an incredibly expensive fix, but turns out it was just a forty dollar fuse and her partner fit it himself.
Speaker 2: Oh money win.
Speaker 3: Relief was almost small money loss, but I always still call out a money win.
Speaker 2: That's a money win, but also like, let's just be careful with high pressure washing and electricity completely that gives me so much anxiety. Please be safe people.
Speaker 3: And then lastly, I have two money wins from buy nothing groups which are like my favorite thing ever. I love it buy nothing group. Firstly, Tinachet said, I received a salon sized waxing pot and leg rollert waxes and strips, all full of wax thanks to the buy nothing group on Facebook. I've been waxing my legs Brazilian and under arms and DIY Brazilian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or I could never bold. The yoga involved crazy.
Speaker 3: She said it was costing her one hundred and thirty eight bucks every six weeks. Now she can wax herself all the time and it's free money.
Speaker 2: Weeds so good, I believe that. I'm very impressed.
Speaker 3: And then Marie said her as six sneakers died, she couldn't afford new ones, but she's snagged a pair on her local buy nothing group, practically brand new and in her size. And the lady threw in some lines for free.
Speaker 2: Oh mallween, I love this.
Speaker 3: Join your local buy nothing group, get some stuff if you can give some stuff.
Speaker 2: It's so good. I love that suggestion, very very good. I'm still thinking about how I would give myself a Brazilian. I don't think I could pull.
Speaker 3: I think I would put the wax on, and I'd just be like, no, do it there forever.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine. I can literally imagine Jess calling me and being like, viye, I have a dilemma. Please please come to my house and fix it. Anyway, Let's go to a really quick break before this goes somewhere it shouldn't on the flip side. We're going to be talking about what you can do with an inheritance, and we're unpacking something you slid into our DMS about. This week, we're chatting about sharing rent and bills with a partner. So don't go anywhere. Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 2: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi guys, I just wanted to send in my money to LATA. I am twenty two years old and I'm a registered nurse on the Gold Coast. I finished UNI last year, so I'm a graduate nurse. Now. I have always been living paycheck to paycheck, like ever since I was a teenager. Up until now, I've always had the same amount of money in my bank account, which is just wild. Considering I earn so much more now, but also I do pay rent and bills and all those things now too. But I just got to positive thirteen thousand dollars as a form of inheritance, and I just wanted some advice and tips to try and use this money to try and get me ahead and make some smart decisions with it. So thanks so much, guys, look forward to hearing from you.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is such a good question, and given over the next ten years, we are going to see the biggest transfer of intergenerational wealth this Unfortunately, it might be a situation that a lot of us find ourselves in. But I think the first thing I would say when it comes to inheritance is you do not need to make a decision right now, Like that money could sit there for a year or more, literally earning zero while you work out what you want to do. I think so many times, especially when you have an inheritance, you've got Uncle Bob over here giving you advice and Arnie Jill saying, oh, you should be getting into the property market, and someone else is suggesting crypto like, just sit on it for a while and work out what your values are and what you could be doing with it. Thirteen thousand dollars is a lot of money. In fact, if you invested it in the Australian share market, thirteen grand invested today in thirty years is going to be about two hundred and thirty thousand dollars in thirty years. So that's a lot of money to be making. But it also could turn into more in property, or it could turn into more in crypto or more indifferent shares. It's completely up to you. I mean, you might want to use that inheritance money to go on a holiday. You might go, you know what, this is the best use of these funds, and that's completely up to you. There's actually no right or wrong I think when we get an inheritance, though there can actually and it didn't sound like this in your tone of voice, but often there's a certain level of guilt because someone has passed away for an inheritance to have occurred, and that's not a nice situation. And sometimes when you get an inheritance, maybe you we're really close with the person, so you want to make sure that you're doing the right thing with the money and not disappointing them, or on the flip side, you might not have been close, and you go, oh my gosh, this person that should have been close to me and wasn't. We had a bit of a disjointed relationship has passed away and I've got money and now I feel guilty for even having it in the first place because we didn't have a good relationship. So money in these circumstances is really fickle, and I think it's important for you to take the time to work out what you want to do with it and work through that guilt, because you shouldn't feel guilty at the end of the day. That money is for you and it is to put you in the best possible position. So what would you like to do with it. There's no you should invest it or you should do this. The second someone tries to give you advice, disregard it, or take it on with a grain of salt and put it to the side and wait because there's always, always, always going to be another opportunity, is going to be something else to invest in. You don't need to jump on the next investing trend, because I promise if it is a trend right now, it's not going to put you in the best possible position. We need to be thinking long term. But also I want to give you permission to do whatever you want with that money, because it's up to you. What I want you to do, though, is make an educated decision. Have you thought about investing? Have you thought about property? Have you thought about date reduction? Have you thought about, you know, an asset. Maybe you want to buy a car. Maybe you want to invest it in something that is more sentimental. It might be a piece of art, it might be literally anything. But there is no right and no wrong when it comes to an inheritance. But I guess that's a good question, Jess, if you came into thirteen grand tomorrow, what would you do with it? I feel like I'd be boring and I would put it in my house deposit. Would you? I mean I thought she would have said, I'm gonna go buy a Snell double flap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that it's a very expensive, very beautiful bag, like very okay, it would take up its almost all of It's like it's everyone has that. Oh you don't because you're not materialistic. I'm feeling like a little materialistic shit.
Speaker 2: You don't have to worry this side of the table. Quite materialistic, willing to work for it absolutely, but also handbags are important to us. Yeah, sorry, not sorry.
Speaker 3: It's like my dream handbag. But like they're literally they've it's one of those things. They've gone up and up and up in price.
Speaker 2: They're literally like ten thousand. To be honest, they're a very good investment. It's like investing in Burkins. In Burkins, which are by the brand MS I think have a forty seven percent return. If you don't use the bag, I'd probably buy my second hand. Like if that like, you wouldn't be a little fruit.
Speaker 4: If you're spending that much, you may as well get it full price, is what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We'll see if you buy a Burkins second hand, it's much more expensive because they're so hard to get in store. In store, you could be spending like fifteen thousand dollars on a Burken, but second hand twenty five thousand plus. Isn't that wild to think that a handbag is worth that much? Yeah, that's wild. What would you do with thirteen grand? And if you had thirteen grand in your hot little hands tomorrow, you know.
Speaker 4: It's just funny because when I was made redundant, as everyone knows, because I went shut up about it.
Speaker 2: I was literally on about it. It's not like it's like your livelihood or that's so true. It's not a deal.
Speaker 4: I was not even like it's impacting your income was given exactly thirteen thousand. Yeah, I was so, But that's a different story. It is different. But I'm thinking, like, if I still had a regular income with that thirteen thousand, I probably would do things that I can't. I probably could do now, but I just like, I'm really bad with my money still, but I would like get my car fixed, get a new phone my phone's broken, Like, do all the things I need to do just to feel like my day to day isn't super Yeah, exactly, Like I can literally hear my clutch slipping as I drive to work every morning.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I would do those kind of things. It must be nice to be able to drive manual. Can't do that. I can teach you. If you like olding your budget, you teach me to drive manual perfect. It's actually a deal. Do we trust Bex driving?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Don't trust her?
Speaker 4: Flight tips trusted, thank you, But no, I think like after all those things are done, I would then maybe just sit on it until I probably wouldn't invest it yet, I'd be like, I'll sit on it, put it in an I'd start an emergency fund.
Speaker 2: Finally, that would probably be that Yeah, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like personally, so get all those things that take care of the rest will go into emergency funds.
Speaker 2: So I feel secure. But see what that shows us that we're all entirely different and therefore can't answer that question directly for you. But what we can say is we want you to be educated to make the decision that is right for you. We've done episodes on inheritance before. We've done episodes on coming into a sum of money and how to make decisions around that. But there's no one size fits all approached, and I think that's kind of the outcome here. But also the driver behind she's on the money, not lump sums of income. I wish we could that could be the driver for everybody, but more giving you the education you deserve to make the right decision in situations like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you want to find that episode, you can search up on spotfy O Apple. Its how to Treat Inheritance with the Respective Deserves And it's a really good episode.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's move on because this week you guys slid into our DMS about something a little bit I would say spicy, because it can be a thickle topic to discuss. This week, we're talking about sharing rent and bills with a partner. So let me read out the DM re received. Hi, she's on the money. I just moved in with my new partner. We started our relationship quite recently and soon moved in together. I did that too, so like no judgment based. I live in a two bedroom apartment and he moved in with just his personal stuff. He didn't ring anything for the house, as we already have a fully furnished place. We split rent fifty to fifty. I'm starting to feel like this might be quite unfair, as I've contributed to so much cool stuff for the apartment and he gets to enjoy all of that for the same price that I'm paying. We also share grocery bills fifty to fifty, but he eats so much. He buys a lot of expensive things that I don't consume, such as the best branded peanut butter, so much meat. He goes to them a lot, and I feel like sharing the bills equally will also be unfair for me in the long run. However, I'm afraid I'm gonna sound stingy about bringing up the rent and grocery bills situation. I'm on a seventy thousand dollars salary and my budget is quite tight at the moment. Guys, what do we think about this situation?
Speaker 4: I think, furniture wise, it's still all your stuff. It's kind of like if you move into a sharehouse and like it's already furnished and you still get to enjoy all the communal spaces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they take it if they leave.
Speaker 4: And they take it if they leave exactly, and if you if it gets damaged in the meantime, like maybe you spilt some red wine, like you pay for that. Like so if anything is damaged, like obviously he will kind of bear the financial burden.
Speaker 2: Of that, but like, that's still all your stuff. I would say not to worry about that. Yeah, I personally wouldn't worry about that. I mean, I feel like maybe this is an extension of you already feeling like there's some inequity in the relationship, and so maybe that's a projection. But also being like, oh, I've got cool stuff, in the apartment, okay, Like you're gonna get rid of it so that someone else can't enjoy it, At which point I'm a bit confused as to why you wouldn't want your partner to enjoy your stuff too, Like, I don't know, it's a bit.
Speaker 3: It's like he could have bought four but you already had foks, Like why would he bring more forwards?
Speaker 2: And why would he then pay because you already had forks? Yeah, Like, don't get me wrong. It could be bigger things like she's got like some fancy gaming system or something. I don't know. I feel like your stuff was already in the house. You could negotiate and be like, oh, I actually really want a new couch, We're going to go fifty to fifty or I'd like that to be your contribution, because there might be some things that you want to upgrade or change. But like, if it's not broke, why fix it.
Speaker 3: It's not something that you would pay more rent for. Like it doesn't really make sense totally.
Speaker 2: But now the food situational food and the rent switch, Yes, let's talk through that. Yes, are you planning on moving in with your girlfriend Beck?
Speaker 4: She's a bit of a slow mover. I was like, what, when's this gonna happen? She's like maybe like five six years? Like see how we go?
Speaker 2: Se what that is not a female same sex couple relationship? Were usually Yeah, you usually you ho it and you've moved point in two seconds and you're married next week exactly. I'm not her talk. I will have a chat to her because I'm ready right now. Okay, if you're ready right now, how are you splitting it? I think this is the thing.
Speaker 4: If I'm moving in with her or she's moving in with me, I'm thinking, we just, well, regardless whether we find a new place or moving in with each other, split the rent down the middle, split the utilities down the middle, unless one of us works from home.
Speaker 2: In that case we kind of have a conversation.
Speaker 4: Sure, but food wise, it would be really tricky if you're I guess one of you is eating a lot more or has like different dietary requirements. I guess it's easy for me to say because we kind of both have the same dietrees and we both you know, eat about the same amount.
Speaker 2: Doesn't look like it, but we do.
Speaker 4: And then I would say, like, you know, we kind of go half and half, like she'll buy dinner one I'll buy a dinner the other night. But in this situation, because one of them is eating a significant amount more than the other, like whether that's meat and I'm you know, meat, it's quite expensive. I would literally just have a conversation about that and be like, hey, I'm going to buy dinners for us, like the breakfast and lunches.
Speaker 2: We can like take additional stuff. Do you want to just pick that up?
Speaker 4: Exactly your additional stuff Like here I'm cooking like a chicken pesto or something like that. Like and if he's like, oh, that's not enough protein for me, Hey, any additional you just grab for yourself. But like I'm just this is what I've got in the pantry, is what I'm making.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, kind of find a way.
Speaker 4: But I know what you mean, Like you do want to sound stingy. It is quite new still, as they mentioned, and so it is a real tricky one. But I would say, as it always comes down to communication is key.
Speaker 2: Wow, I didn't see that coming, Jess. How do you manage it?
Speaker 3: I agree, like we split everything fifty to fifty, my partner and I will in terms of like rent, groceries and bills and stuff.
Speaker 2: But if like you're feeling like there's.
Speaker 3: A lot of inequity, I think you know, similar to you, My partner and I have pretty comparable in terms of what we consume. I mean I work from homes. If anything, I guess I'm chewing through electricity, but.
Speaker 2: Hard money for you, Yes, let's not mention it. Hope you're not listening, James. Yeh, keep that on the downlight.
Speaker 3: No, But I think, like, if it's something that stresses you out, And also I guess the salary thing, Like she's mentioned she's on seventy thousand and she feels like that's putting her on a tight budget. Is your partner earning significantly more? If that's the case, maybe look at an equity split we've spoken about before, Like, yeah.
Speaker 2: I was about to go, hey, can we rewind a little bit because Jess has been on the show a number of years now, and you guys might know that Jess's partner used to study and we've spoken about it publicly before on the show. Because Jess, you haven't always split things fifty to fifty, have you? No? We our rent at one point was split.
Speaker 3: I paid more because the place that we lived, you know, I wanted more asthetic things.
Speaker 2: He would live in a shock and couldn't.
Speaker 3: Care less or men like that, and I was like, no, no, like I need, you know, and for work as well as like I need like nice lighting because that's her content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just the simple things.
Speaker 3: So I said I was happy to pay more because I was like, well, I earn more and the place that we would rent would be more expensive based on what I want. So to me, I was like, that seems reasonable, Like I'm happy to pay more rent totally. And then obviously now he has a full time job, he's graduated, and we've gone to fifty to fifty and that works for us. You know, it's different for everybody, I guess. But if this is something that our listener is feeling pressured about, like, that's a great and very reasonable conversation I think to have.
Speaker 2: And that's where the conversation comes down to equity versus equality in relationships, Like there is a difference between the two, and splitting fifty to fifty might make sense for you guys, because you're basically on the same page, earn very very similar amounts, and you can call it a day, like you and your partner are becke, but like, let's go really dramatic for a hot sekend. If your partner owns three hundred thousand dollars and your own fifty thousand dollars, is that actually fair to split things fifty to fifty and expect you to live up to the lifestyle of your partner, or even if your partner's willing to live on that fifty thousand dollar lifestyle, If and though they're earning three hundred thousand dollars, is that fair that they have so much more savings capacity in terms of percentage than you when you know you're probably scraping by, Like in this economy, you would absolutely be scraping by on that salary trying to keep up. So I think it's important to talk about. You know, it's very normal to want to split based on income, and so what we haven't learned in that story or in that message is well, how much does your partner earn? That should actually come into the conversation. Are you not wanting to split it because you're fifty to fifty and you know you earn similar amounts and therefore you know he's actually just spending more great have that conversation, but also is he earning significantly more? And we need to have an equity conversation about splitting it differently, because what's fair inside a relationship doesn't mean dollar for dollar, and I think that sometimes we just assume that because Beck paid a dollar, I should pay a dollar. But it's different in a friendship than it is inside a relationship because I'm you moved in with them because you see a long term sitch happening. Yeah, like you're not moving in with somebody hopefully because you're like, ah, let's move in with Jess right now, break up next year, yeah, Jess, Like, let's just keep everything super separate and not get our lives intertwined, like you are intertwining your lives because you're moving in together. So I feel like these conversations need to become second nature, especially now before life becomes more complicated, before you're negotiating who's picking nappies up and who's you know, going to be paying for the mortgage and where the offset account is sitting if those are goals of yours in the future. So I think it's really important to talk about sharing rent and bills with a partner, and you shouldn't feel bad because you know what, you might be humbled. They might turn around and go, well, Beck, I know that you are saying that I should be spending less on meat. Can you stop putting all your makeup into the daily expenses categories? You know, every time we go, you're picking stuff up the supermarket, spending an extra fifty bucks? Like, so I think we should also look at well, are you spending quote your money collectively together? And that fifty to fifty might actually be distributed differently. Yes, you might be tunnel visioned and only seeing the meet Is there something of yours that maybe evens it out? And you might go, oh, actually, I might not say anything because it's actually working out well and maybe he's thought of it as well. Or is it actually not even? And we need to have this conversation.
Speaker 3: If anything like the longer you live with someone, whether like regardless of how much or how little you share your expenses, you need to be able to have the conversation, like it's a skill really to be able to talk to them comfortably and openly.
Speaker 2: And so it starts with things like this. And if you can't talk about things like this as money gets more complicated, it will get harder and harder to start those money conversations. So the searcher, the better. My friends, what did everybody else say? So we obviously took this to the community. It's one of my favorite things. We said, tell us your two cents, and obviously you did. Definitely tell us your two cents. Couple said it's to depend on income. I'm definitely all for equity in terms of rent if you have different salaries, But the furniture does seem a little extreme. Someone said, a fifty to fifty grocery split feels like you're funding his hobby, not just the essentials. That's true, true, that's fair. Totally agree that she shouldn't have to pay more for groceries if he's eating more. A good conversation to have. Someone said, if you're really worried about this stuff, are you actually ready to live with someone else? Well, now that's a good question. You don't want to share your expensive couch? Well yeah, someone else said this stuff should have been discussed before moving in together, Like, totally, I totally understand that. But you know what, we can't think of everything now, Yes, do you know what? Sometimes I really hate when people are like, well you should have done it differently, that doesn't happen. Oh yeah, really helpful for it, ex thanks for that. But I'm here now, So where's the advice for now? Exactly? I feel like I've been getting really up and ante on and not replying or anything, but like seeing lots of like Facebook posts where people are asking for advice and people are jumping in being like, well you shouldn't have done it to begin with. I'm like, Susan, we're here now, Like, just let it be, let it be, sit down, Have you got advice or you're just being hag so annoyed. I have way less patience people who say becoming a parent gives you like a beautiful level of patience, Denada, mine's worse. Some of you said, my partner pays more because he earns significantly more than me. They need to have that chat, which is exactly what we've said. Someone said, maybe having a joint account for every joint expense and then separate everything else for personal like his meat consumption. Someone said, same as me, my partner eats a lot more, but I have some expensive hobbies too. I just let it go. So I think that's important to kind of balance it out. As I said, maybe you're picking up some stuff, or maybe he goes well, actually, Jess, like you get all of those expensive ice creams and you say that I can have them, but I never eat them because I don't like them. Even out I'm not saying it will. That's why you have the trouble. You always want to have an open mind. Someone said, make sure that they understand a partnership. You're on the same team. One of you shouldn't be struggling, so speak up. Yeah, which I think is a good place to leave what your two cents were. We did ask a few other questions, and we said, if this was you, would you expect your partner to pay more rent because the place is furnished, And nineteen percent of you said yes, and eighty one percent of you said absolutely not. I wouldn't care. I'm just surprised about higher than I thought it would be. But I was really surprised about that. And then someone said, if you live with your partner, how do you split your groceries? Fifty seven percent of you split it fifty to fifty and forty three percent of you split the basics and pay for other items separately, So I feel like that's some good insight as well. But my friends sadly for my first Friday drinks back, we've run out of time it We'll have to do it again next week. Yeah, it's really nice to have you back up cours. Thank you, babies. I'm excited to be back as well. Genuinely, my favorite thing in the entire high world is this podcast. So I feel like I was itching and ready to go at like three weeks. I think I was messaging Jess being like can I come back? And She's like, absolutely not. We've got guest scheduled. You're not kicking them off the show. And I was like, oh okay, I will wait my turn. Sorry, sorry buddy. It has been a pleasure. I have loved seeing you guys and being back in the studio. But till then, we will see you next week on Monday from Money Jaries, Bright, Fresh and Early, and another Friday drinks next week, So see you later and have their best weekend guys. Bye guys. Bye. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized rep presentatives of money. Sherber p T Y L t D A B N three two one is six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine