Speaker 1: Here at two Good Sports.
Speaker 2: We would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we record this podcast. The wereunerie people. This land was never seated, always was always will be Ohio and welcome to two Good Sports Sports.
Speaker 1: And he's told differently, I'm Georgie.
Speaker 3: Tunney, Georgie alluding to a very secret mission she had in Japan during the week. Now, because as you do, George, it is a pleasure to be here. What a week again in sport, it just feels like he keeps getting bigger and bigger and.
Speaker 1: I can't keep up, I know.
Speaker 2: And on that I want to begin with some rather big news. That's my good sport of the week, and tell me I'm giving it to your hometown. The WA Premier has confirmed that Earth is getting a rugby league team from twenty twenty seven, allegedly the Bears.
Speaker 3: They're back, they literally said in the announcement twenty seven or twenty eight. But it's happening. It's happening, and so the North Sydney Bears for those that haven't fallen nurl me, we're around like twenty five years ago that were part of the league and then they've essentially been relegated to use a very football term, and there is a dormant body of fans yes, that are waiting to be back in love with this team and support them. So in one part it's really clever because you have a pre existing fan base. In the other part, have you looked at flights from Sydney to Perth recently? I'm sorry Bears fans, but if you're planning to see them at the new stadium, good luck to here.
Speaker 2: Well, this is what I want your opinion on, because you're very, very well placed. Do you think that rugby league will work in Perth? There's two sides to this, what's your signe ah? Two sides to my side to this is that I grew up in Perth.
Speaker 3: Obviously as an avid sport lover watcher, very integrated in sport. I thought it was really weird when I watched breakfast television they spoke about these mythical dragons or some bunnies like I just I genuinely didn't understand what I was watching or why it was relevant, because if it's rugby, it should be about the Wallabies. Yes, And that's as someone who was very engaged in the sporting landscape. And then I moved to like to Sydney for an internship with Fox Sports and they asked me about rugby league and I said, I love the Wallabies direct quote, so you can understand why I wasn't allowed on it for a very long time. So I think it's hard to there's some knowledge gaps there is. It's hard to overstate how little people care about rugby league as a general rule. Yes, state of origin packs out, okay. But this is the second part, is that we get fourteen I become West Astralian very quickly. Fourteen to fifteen thousand at the Wildcats every week. Yes, if you give West Australians a winner and a loser, we will rock up in numbers because sport is our thing. So I genuinely believe that it will be embraced. Will people wear guernsies but have absolute you no idea what they're talking about? Sure, but that's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 2: I think that if it can just be a spectacle for those initial years until the Perthians what do you call personalities?
Speaker 3: What is sand I think we're sand gropers.
Speaker 2: Until the sand gropers understand those who reside in the big state the incredible game that is rugby League, and luckily is Harry Grant, our guest said last.
Speaker 1: Week very easim very easy to follow.
Speaker 2: So I think it's also an excellent time for them to be launching a team because the AFL teams aren't doing very well, not just success wise wise, not supporter base wise. I know that you know the Doctors, the Eagles, you, I get it, I get it. Please please sand Gropers don't come for me. I understand that you love those teams, but because you're not going to really be winning a flag realistically for what ten years, either of those teams, let's infiltrate good work.
Speaker 3: Good work, Peter Landing, good work, the story. A lot of people had Fremantle in their top four this year. They're just not executing where they should be and West Coast are rebuilding, but West Coaster never really down for that long. They're a very successful club for a long time. I'm interested to see the real estate that NRL could possibly get in me too, like I just want to see the sort of coverage that they could potentially get. Yah, but it puts the N in NRL. I'm hearing those you can't you can't claim to be a national competition without half the country.
Speaker 2: And I'm hearing number one ticket holder abs gelmy, come on, come on, the jersey's nice if they stick to the old jersey, it's nice jersey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I saw a lot of them. I was actually in Magic Ground over the weekend and there are a lot of people wearing the jerseys.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like you know, for Red and Black.
Speaker 2: They're always like rugby league fans were chaotic, because no matter what sporting game match code across the world, there will always be at least one rabbit Oz jersey there.
Speaker 4: Why true.
Speaker 2: It could be at Wimbledon and there's a rabbit Os fan in the top corner and it's like, sorry, what why how.
Speaker 3: Did you get did you? How did you get here?
Speaker 2: You've taken and you've made that choice to take up valuable luggage shy.
Speaker 3: I blame Russell Crowe because truly, why else would they have a global presence?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's my good sport, good sport of the week.
Speaker 3: That it's a massive It's a massive story, isn't it. I've got a very quick bad sport. And then I'm just going to say it and move on. I've got a good sport. Okay, stop giving the finger.
Speaker 1: I'm with you.
Speaker 3: It's so juvenile, it's so stupid, it's unnecessary, and young kids watch you. And I was listening during the week and they had a woman call up a radio station. She said, I watched my son out the back wholesomely kicking goals. We've set up some fake goals out the back. He celebrated them. Then he turned around to our water cooler and gave it the double bird. No, and I've just thought, first, like, we've got kids trying to pretend to be Bailey Smith giving inadimate objects the finger. And I'm sorry if you think, well, we're allowed to express ourselves. This is what happens. And so then as parents and as you go, how am I meant to explain to this kid that this isn't cool when they do it again and again, And no one's saying that crowds are well behaved and that the vitriol that keeps getting worse and worse that's coming at these players is okay. But I do think it is easier for the AFL or the league to police the players in their response. And that's All you have is control to how you respond to this thing, because the crowd are only going to get more raucous yes to get this response if they think they're going to get it. George, Yes, hate it, aren't it.
Speaker 2: This is such a great call for you from This is such a great call from you. I am one thousand percent with you because you know what you might be okay with seeing Bailey Smith do it on the field and you think, oh that's great and try It's not.
Speaker 3: The only one. Harley Reid made it his propile picture.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I'm a fair footy fan. We understand that. So don't get and clear, don't get me wrong. I love you know some personality. We always ask for it, but there's a very big difference and it's very confronting when you put that picture up against a three year old doing the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just no, no, no, no, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: West Australians all stood up and gave the finger in support of Harley Reid giving the thing like I just think.
Speaker 2: But imagine when Harley Reid eventually comes back to a Victorian club, it's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Do come for me? Then the entire MC like whenever he goes back.
Speaker 3: To people given the finger like it's it's just it's.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, I don't like it. I don't. I do not like it. I do not like it. We're not the fun police.
Speaker 3: No, but hey, this is a sort of m if. I well, I'm sorry. If I walked into work every week and when I was a little bit annoyed gave the double bird in a meeting on the way, I just gave, there would be I would be given a few warnings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just so you know, dear listener, I just did the double bird to jell me. Then I was like, yeah, I'm like my hands, it doesn't feel right. No, apologize. I look like Bill and Ney with the arthrod.
Speaker 1: Like it was bad.
Speaker 3: It was so bad.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm not that human, So stop it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll call hr and we'll have discussion, a discussion. I can't even speak about that afterwards because that was very confun you came at me. No, but I again, that was a bad sport. Let's not focus on the next the good sport. Oh yeah, is there a better sport in Australian sport than Neil Danaher? Oh what a human Australian of the Year and what he has done through his M and D diagnosis to then have fight M and D and the Big Freeze and just his courage in putting his story out there and his family are just the most phenomenal people. But I mentioned this because the Big Freeze eleven beanies are out. I'm using a prop which is useless, useless when it comes to a podcast, but they are out that you can buy them. I think it's Coals and where else, Bunnings and different.
Speaker 2: They pop up, honestly everywhere and I love this time of year, especially in Melbourne, but hopefully around the country.
Speaker 3: They're everywhere.
Speaker 2: You just see everyone walking around in them and it just does spread the awareness so much. And the danaher family, yes, Neil, but the entire family has just done incredible things.
Speaker 3: For this course. Since twenty fourteen, one hundred and fifteen million dollars for M and D research, including fifteen clinical trials and thirty four drug development projects.
Speaker 2: Australian of the Year for a reason. What a human with that segue potentially a future Australian of the Year.
Speaker 1: I'm calling it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm calling at the very least the second best sport in the country. If we're gonna if we're gonna have to have kneel Danaher on top. He arguably is one of the most liked athletes, I would say in the country.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, And we have this person coming up for you, dear listeners, in a matter of moment.
Speaker 3: You are welcome.
Speaker 1: You are welcome.
Speaker 2: But before we get there, we just wanted to remind you the last time you may have heard from him, it was from this devastating post fire interview from the paras Olympics.
Speaker 1: I've been though all the same, teach. I'm believe you must make you so proud.
Speaker 5: It's crazy, made two decades dedicated to one drave and it's over, just like that.
Speaker 3: May you're feeling after this morning.
Speaker 4: I feel pretty.
Speaker 5: Numb right now, but I'm sure your next month or two will be quite challenging, quite hard.
Speaker 4: I feel I feel from my mind gets the better of him. I feel like I've let myself down.
Speaker 3: And I know if you've.
Speaker 5: Ever with down made, Gods, what do you do not at all, Harry, have let yourself down made.
Speaker 3: There are thousands of spectators here, and so many of them Australian.
Speaker 1: What does it mean to have them in the crowd.
Speaker 4: It's massive.
Speaker 5: Australia is such a sporting nation and I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it's so hard to listen to. It's really hard to watch. And it was the moment, I think where all of Australia went, Can we just give this bloke a hug? He had such high expectations for himself heading into the Games, and understandably so. He was already an Olympic medalist and he had just had his eyes on gold, and then to be out of the Games in your very first fight, and as he said, when you've been two decades of work and this is the pinnacle. The devastation was there. But what we love is that raw honesty, vulnerability, and with Harry Garside, that's what you get.
Speaker 1: He's coming up after.
Speaker 6: This, let's get ready to remold.
Speaker 2: And the crowd goes wild because coming up right now we have someone who fights stereotypes, intrusive thoughts and sitting still. He's been on I'm a celeb, Get me out of here. He's coming up on Dancing with the Stars, he's an Olympic medalist. He's got a fight coming up. May you please welcome one of the greatest humans. It's Harry Garca.
Speaker 4: Yay, Harry, are you guys? What an intro the greatest humans. I'll take that.
Speaker 3: Proud ourselves on making people feel welcome.
Speaker 1: We really do, we really do it. So wonderful to see your face, Harry.
Speaker 3: The last time Georgie ran in to you, you weren't aware of, but I received a phone call from Georgie going, oh my god, I'm in Bronty and Harry Garsid just ran past. He lapped me eight times.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: George can tell the story.
Speaker 1: This is a true story, Harry.
Speaker 2: I was walking with my partner Robert along Bronti and we were coming up to our own training regime for a reality show called The Amazing Race, and I was just about to start jogging when I only just felt some wind past me.
Speaker 1: Like just I was like, whoa, what was that?
Speaker 2: It was like the whole world had shifted, and I wasn't quite sure why.
Speaker 1: And it was because you had.
Speaker 2: Sprinted past me at such pace that it was like I'd been swiveled around like a Warner Brothers Bugs bunny cat. Honestly, you were going so fast and I was like, oh, well, he can't go that fast up the hill. And then we just stood there and watched as you did go I think, even faster up that huge hill between Bronti and Bloody Clavelli, and then went.
Speaker 1: By the time time we got to the hill, you were coming back again, and.
Speaker 3: I was like, he back again.
Speaker 4: That's the thing about I absolutely love running because I'm always trying to run away from my head noise. But unfortunately you can't get away from us.
Speaker 3: You really can't. But clearly working for your fitness, Harry, tell us a little bit, how is your training going, because we're less than a week out from fight night, right, so what's tapering look like? What does this week look like for you?
Speaker 4: So my last hard session is tonight, we got we've got six rounds asparring. It would be like probably the intensity level will be about eighty percent, so still like relatively starting to pull back. But after tonight it's just full, full seam ahead about making weight. So you pull back on the training and you'll you really focus on just getting your weight right, which is so exciting I absolutely can't wait for it.
Speaker 3: Is that Sauna's running with tracksuits, like we know what jockeys do to cut weight is insane. But with the boxing, how important is it to keep your strength up while also cutting weight and how do you find that balance.
Speaker 4: I think jockey's probably cut harder than what we do, just purely because they, like we are genuinely competing with someone else. They're obviously competing with a horse, I guess, but yeah, competing with who who was trying to really hurt us. So we can't cut too much, although a lot of boxers do do probably a bit too much, and I think that does sort of show on fight night. But I'm sitting in a really, really good range, so I'm really excited to sort of get in there next week. And it's been so long out of the ring. July last year was my last fight professionally, was three years ago. So I'm a lot of pressure, a lot of inside noise, but also very excited to sort of push through that as there is a lot of nervous energy. I think at the moment for myself.
Speaker 1: How is that head noise?
Speaker 2: Harry, One of the reasons that Australia and we love you so much is because you are always so open, You're honest, you're raw.
Speaker 1: About everything that is happening.
Speaker 2: With you, like, what is the anxiety, like if there is any going back into the ring because it has been so long.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think for myself it's the head noise is quite quite strong. In the moment. I think I just feel like as an athlete, I lost my respect for myself, and the reason why I'm getting back in there is purely to try and gain that respect back. I think the only way out is through. You know, you're not gonna for me. I'm not gonna gain the respect just sitting on the couch or you know, doing something else. I think I really genuinely need to get back in the ring, just for myself, just so I can get to the position that I felt. I guess prior to the Tokyo Olympics, I felt like I was the best athlete I possibly could be, and then you know, I showed up really well at the Tokyo Olympics. So I feel like I really want to get back to that position. I have no real expectation for myself over the next six to twelve months. It's just all about getting back to the best athlete I possibly can be and then looking to go overseas. But at the moment, I just think because it's been so long out of the ring, like there is so much nervous energy. But also I love this. I live for this, I truly. I think it's a place that I feel most alive and most myself and I love that. You know, over the next six days I'm going to be faced with so many mental challenges and I think, as I said, the only way out is through. You can just got to confront some head on. And I absolutely love that.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. I need some of that resilience.
Speaker 2: I need you printed like on a little card for me to read every morning and just in.
Speaker 1: My ear every morning.
Speaker 3: I think my mentality is the only way out is stage lesson. I ain't gone through. I'm doing everything I can, which is probably why I'm not a boxer, to be fair. But Harry, I'm so glad that you brought up Tokyo because that's when I think, and it must have felt like a wave for you. Australia were all stuck in their houses watching the Olympics and here was this guy wearing now a Polish being himself and everyone literally just fell in love with this character. And you were so real and so unfiltered with who you were. Has it surprised you how much Australia has just embraced you for you, because I'm sure there were times where you thought, oh, I don't know if people are ready for the fact that I am a bit different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think it's it's always surprising. I think that's the beauty of social media now, right. I think individuals have the freedom now and the power now to be themselves and realizing the world's a big place. And I think before social media, all that we had was our community. And I think you are, you know, not pigeonhole, but you do have certain boundaries if your community doesn't explore certain things and stuff like that. And I think the beauty of social media is I think there's space for everyone, you know. I think you can you can showcase stuff to the world about yourself and you will find like minded people out there, which is quite exciting and it's been really amazing. I think twenty twenty one, I don't know if I fully understood how to sort of deal with like like fame or anything like that. And I think it took me a couple of years to fully understand how to deal with it, and I think I did get quite distracted little bit, and I think that's probably why maybe Paris didn't turn out how I planned it would. But it's nice to sort of realize that. I think I needed to experience that, as you know, I was in my mid twenties, and I think that's where you probably learned the most about yourself. So I'm really happy. I just feel like I found my community. I've found my people who accept me, and it's been pretty pretty amazing, especially obviously Postparis, like not getting the result that I wanted, but then feeling like I got a massive hug from Australia, Like I felt so body grateful to be Australia, which is such a wild thing.
Speaker 2: How would you describe yourself, Harry? I mean, you know, we think that we know you because you are so open, But how if you were doing your own intro right now? You are the author of your own Wikipedia page, like who is Harry Garside?
Speaker 4: I'm a deeply curious person who thinks about way too much, way too often. I'm passionate about many things. I find joy in so many little things. I cared deeply about the people in my circle, the people in my circle. They were fulm far between. I feel like I have a big heart. Yeah, I think that summarizes me. I saw this video and it said, try and describe yourself without using your hobbies, what you do. We have the same describe rather than you know, me just going I'm a boxer or I'm done that, I'm just someone who I don't know. I I think about a lot, and I care deeply, and i've I don't believe in star signs. Well maybe I do because I'm saying this, but I'm a cancer, so we do.
Speaker 3: Apparently I'm actually just went all.
Speaker 6: But it is.
Speaker 3: And it's such a healthy thing to be able to touch who you are from what you do, particularly if what you do is so outcomes based.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, I think it's really nice. So I guess identify as a boxer and that's probably something that I didn't realize at the age of nine when I started. But I think I was searching for, like you think about a boxer and the certain attributes that you think about when you think about boxing. I wanted that. I wanted that identity. I wanted to be able to see me as a.
Speaker 3: Boxer when you say those attributes are you're thinking like discipline?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 3: Is that the attributes you were leaning into.
Speaker 4: Just courageous, you know, courageous, strong, fearless. I feel like I before I started boxing, I just feel like I compare myself naturally to my brothers, and they were really strong individuals, or they looked strong, you know. I saw them do courageous things. I saw them fight. I saw them do these things that I was so scared to do. And I think I think I initially started boxing because what do you see men do or movies? You see men fight, and you see men, you know, be fearless and save the world. And I just didn't feel like I had that inside of me. And the beautiful thing is boxing taught me that I do. You know, I do have that strong, courageous person inside of me. And it's really nice to sort of realize that. I guess in my.
Speaker 2: Twenties question without notice, Harry, just because I think it is so pertinent and a lot of our listeners will agree. The conversation around the world, but in this country right now around men and masculinity seems really really loud. For you, what does it mean to be a positive role model? Because I would say you're one of the few in all honesty for young boys growing up in particular, what do you think it takes to be one? And what do people need to do? And by people, I am specifically talking about men.
Speaker 4: I think masculinity comes in many forms, and I think masculinity has range, and I think masculinity, if at times, needs to be the one who is the stoic, strong capable person. I've always not always, only in the last few years have I thought of this concept. So I've thought about masculinity. And when I say masculinity, I don't mean men, just more men hold masculine traits, but I know many women who hold extremely masculine traits, my mum being one of them. And I think the way I look at masculinity is I think masculinity is the stabilizing trunk in a tree. You know, we don't so often look at the trunk, and it's beautiful in its own way, but it does a lot of the work. It's sort of the wind will never knock it over. It collects a lot of the resources underneath the surface access service to give the flower, which I call the feminine energy, the flow, the beauty, the thing that we often look at because it's moving in the wind, and I think that's the way I look at masculinity. But I do think that you know, sometimes the tree trunk, you know, it cries, it bleeds, it goes through its own stages where it loses its bark, and I think that is part of it goes through winter, it goes through seasons, and I think it's just understanding that I think being a man, I think it comes in stages, it comes in time, and I think it's always about being curious about yourself and trying to be a bit more introspective and asking yourself what you need more often than trying to lead from that rather than just like pushing it and suppressing it, which I do think a lot of men and sometimes myself I do.
Speaker 3: I just checked the camera to see if you're reading off a book that was so poetic. I know now you speak honestly. It's where did you learn who in your life or where did you learn to speak like that? Harry, because not everyone.
Speaker 4: Can Probably something, Georgie, your partner will no wrong. The re Foundation, I was so grateful. The re Foundation is the youth organization who does a lot of community work goes out to schools. They actually come out to my school when I was sixteen years old, and I think even before that, I was always someone who was super curious. I think naturally every young person is. But I think they gave me a chance to sort of delve into myself and show what I found and not feel judge for what I found, which I think is really special for young people to feel. And I was with them for as a participant at the start, and then I'll become a crew member myself. And I just think I got like five years of my life where I was able to one delve into myself but then also sort of ask young people about their lives and how their experience shapes them and stuff like that, which I don't know. I think. I think imagine a school system where we focus more on emotional intelligence rather than achievement based stuff. I would love to see that. And I just think the system we have right now is just very much achievement base. You know, you get that a you feel good, your parents will support you, the teachers will celebrate you more. But I would love to see a school system if it's shaped more around like turning into a good human or but unfortunately that's just not how the system is.
Speaker 2: Look the Reach Foundation, you are so right, Harry does such incredible work and one asset you are as a product of them, but now also preaching their word. But I want to know you. Obviously I have done so much work on yourself. We can see that you live it every single day. When are you one of the little twiggy branches though on the tree, right, who's just like struggling and it's just getting absolutely pummeled in the wind and you're like, no, like what makes you frazzled?
Speaker 4: I think there's always parts in our personality that naturally they're at different stages of evolution, right. I think there's parts of my personality that still feel like a bit of a child, and I don't have full control over or enough awareness on or you know, I haven't had enough exposure therapy. So then when I get like the slightest sense that someone's going to snap that branch, you know, like I feel really insecure. I'm trying to think of an example. I think one of my biggest life stories is I felt from a young age people question my manhood. Probably the reason why I started boxing, and I think that someone if someone was to question my manhood or my capabilities, there is something inside of me that falls too familiar foe, and I want to try and prove that I'm a man. I want to try. And I think that's just like opening up a pretty deep wound for myself that I felt quite insecure about my masculinity. And if someone says that I couldn't, let's say, run a marathon right now, I'd probably just go run a marathon.
Speaker 2: Just You'd be fine, You'd be absolutely fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's probably the one area though, where I'm like, if someone close to me, especially it was just some random blog, I probably wouldn't care. But if it was someone close to me, like let's say, like my dad, was to question something inside of myself, there would be something inside of me that wants to try and prove that I am capable.
Speaker 3: Oh, you've got two type a's here that are not nodding along one hundred percent being like me, let me prove that I can do things. But what I find so incredible about you, Harry, is that you speak really openly about having a critical internal monologue. Sometimes. Yes, we both do as well. I do that by trying to protect myself, and sometimes when opportunities come up are a bit scary, I just say no. I'm like, oh, there's definitely chances there where I could look you know, silly, or it's not in my usual realm, so I'm not going to do it. You seem to go, I'll have a crack. I'm a celebrity. Sure, get me in there. Dancing with the stars. Yeah, boxing's dancing, like get up?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Do you have those voices going, oh, this is making me nervous, so I have to do it. Is that the way that you approach life? Because I admire it so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's so interesting because I think we naturally do compare our lives what other people are doing. Right, But I face that stuff like daily, you know, even like you know, you'll be running and I've paid attention to like I call it my ego. But I'll be running. Let's say, and I'm doing a five k run, and you know, I run the first two k's really well, and then about the two and a half k mark, there's something inside of me going, like, you know, I just settled down, You've got training later. It's trying to look for a way out so I feel like we're always facing voices inside of ourself, and don't get me wrong, sometimes I fall to them, and sometimes I do listen to the voice, and sometimes I don't do the hard thing. Like I'm human and I'm deeply flawed, but I do think.
Speaker 3: Sure he's out on the human thing.
Speaker 4: Think about it, think about this Georgian and I think when you do push through that thing and you do that hard session, or you follow that diet, or you get to bed on time, like you always feel better when you do the hard thing first.
Speaker 2: It is true, but you are talking to two people, Harry, who went to brunch instead of doing the city to surf.
Speaker 1: So let's just like a layers. You know, everything is relative. I understand.
Speaker 3: We wouldn't tell the apple that You're.
Speaker 1: So right, Harry.
Speaker 2: I do want to get back into the ring because you do have this incredible fight coming up. It's going to be big for you in more ways than one. We understand, what do we know about your opponent Charlie Bell? Like, what can you tell us about him?
Speaker 4: I actually don't know much at all, which is I just always a Queenslander and Queenslanders are always quite tough, so he's a great record five and one. It's a massive opportunity for him, of course, like you know, he knocks off you know me like I think it sort of propels to forward, you know. But I've had a great preparation and I feel really excited just to get back in there. And as I said at the start, like there's got to be so many voices, you know, in my head over the next week that are nervous scared that we have thoughts as athletes of like I hope that I break my leg walking down these stairs so I don't have to fight. Yeah, I used to.
Speaker 1: Think if that was uni assignments.
Speaker 2: I was like, like, if I just got hit by this car on this car buck not a big hit, just a little grays I could.
Speaker 3: It's a really normal thing for athletes with that performance anxiety, where you know and you hear people like I think Dylan Buckley spoken about it essentially saying I would hope to do an injury during the week so that I didn't have to play on the weekend. And when you're starting to wish self harm in some level, that's a level of anxiety that you're living in and your shoulders are up and everything's up here the whole week. It's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's nuts.
Speaker 2: But if one of those voices harry in your head when you're in the ring, like it does you, does your brain go quiet?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it definitely does inside the ring. I think I've always thought, as you can probably tell, I have one of the most active minds. Ever, it's quite annoying sometimes I want to escape it a lot of the time. But I think boxing is the purest form of meditation for myself, Like the whole world goes silent, which is so beautiful, and don't I don't like talking about this, but I think it is probably good for maybe young athletes to hear this, Like prior to the Tokyo Olympics, some of the voices that were going through my head my first major event, the Olympic Games. I've dreamed of this from a young age. And I drew someone who in my first fight, who was a massive puncher, really strong, a knockout artist. I could hit me with any shot and really flatten me. And I had all these voices of like, you know, the ultimate fear of being humiliated. My parents would be watching Australia's watching back over my first Olympic Games, I'm going to get knocked out, like to have all these internal voices and the ultimatums that I probably won't go into detail what the ultimatums were, but they were extreme, like the most extreme ultimatums you could possibly imagine if I wasn't to get the outcome that I wanted. And I think it's so wild to face that as an athlete and to still push through that and to still go like, and I think any profession, you know that talk that you've got to do at your work and you're so nervous, you put in so much work and you're scared it's not going to work or the PowerPoint it's going to screw up, like, and we still push through and face them. And if that's not evidence right there that we are so much more capable than what we that voice is telling us, I think it's yeah, I think it's just evidence. You know, it's just evidence that we are capable and we are strong and we are worthy of us.
Speaker 3: It's Georgie, oh quote, the great Georgie Tunney in the sport's just a mirror for life and that success, that battle, that needing that team around you the highs and lows is just a reflection of what people go through, but on a different scale. And that's why we love it so much. It's it's the personal stories and it's the journeys of people. That is that chumblewamba. I get knocked down, yeah, but again you're never going to keep me down.
Speaker 6: Like that's that's that's.
Speaker 3: The stuff that we love. It's that perseverance, right yeah.
Speaker 2: And also I mean this is just me being curious, Harry, have you ever been in a fight and your brain is actually, you've absolutely nailed a punch. Yes, I know, lingo, you've nailed it and you just go sorry, like you know, You're.
Speaker 3: Just like like are you ever flinching?
Speaker 1: They're like, ohez sorry sorry.
Speaker 3: Like I mean, listeners, If it isn't any clearer that Georgie is not a boxer, sorry, that'll be the moment. That's the tell. I think, probably not a fight.
Speaker 4: It's quite beautiful, like you're both in there. I've said this, I reckon boxing or combat is arguably besides sex and most intimate places you can go as a human, You're locked in a cage. There's just this raw, unwavering energy where you're trying to hurt each other, but there's no real malice in what you're doing. But I definitely do feel like that insparring when you're like hurting someone who might not be as experience as you and you hit them with a body shot and they're like, oh no, oh my god, are you okay? Like I probably shouldn't hit you that hard.
Speaker 3: You're like, I know this is only meant to be eighty percent. That one was one hundred. I'm very sorry that you're now on the floor. How are your ribbs?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We we have a phrase that we say on this podcast, Harry, which is air ambulance, and that can be used at any stage, like I've kicked my toe.
Speaker 1: Get the air ambulance.
Speaker 3: You know, mild and were built for combat sports, mild inconvenience. Well, like, we'll get the chop up, We'll.
Speaker 1: Get the chopper. What makes what's like fun for you, Harry?
Speaker 2: Like away from the ring, away from exercise, away from like what.
Speaker 3: Or do you have enough? Because I hate this question because I don't have a hobby. Oh yeah, And I said, like because people, so what do you do for fun? And it's like, well, actually outside of work and keeping the kids alive. Actually don't have rooms for like the hobby thing, Like, do you have people asking about hobbies and you're life bro? You have no idea how much striking I have to do it?
Speaker 1: I sleep sometimes?
Speaker 3: Or do you actually have hobbies?
Speaker 4: No, I do. I think.
Speaker 3: You crochet.
Speaker 4: I don't have kids, so I feel really, I feel really. I don't know what the word is, but I just I can't wait for kids, but I don't have them yet, so I don't I don't understand what the stresses a like with kids. I can't imagine. I feel like your whole life will be flip upside down. But I feel like I separated myself from being only a boxer in the last three years. It's probably the reason why Paris maybe didn't go the way that I wanted to, you know, I like, prior to the Tokyo Olympics, I was just a boxer, and I did everything to be the best boxer I possibly could be. Between the two Olympics, I feel like I started to separate myself from only being a boxer, and I started to find heaps of interests like I love for lo I love listening to heaps of podcasts, I love writing. I spend so much time in nature. Just things that I don't know light me up, and I think mother nature for me is just like it's something if you feel average, just go outside and spend ten minutes in the sun and you'll instantly feel nice.
Speaker 3: What's what's your business science for that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What's your guilty pleasure?
Speaker 2: Though, Harry, what's something that you do that you're like, It's probably not the best for me, but I love it.
Speaker 4: I've probably got I probably wouldn't share. Probably I would say food, Like obviously.
Speaker 3: Boxing first post about meal.
Speaker 4: I love a good pizza you're ordering, Yeah, I've rom out of the sticks in Victoria, So like just those good like you know, pizzas that are just like ten topics high a lot with.
Speaker 1: Some sort of gross there's no wood fire here. It's you pick up a pizza and it falls down.
Speaker 2: It's like you can't gravity can't actually like you can't combat that.
Speaker 1: I know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 4: It's the deep dish and you're excited to wake up in the morning because you know there's one.
Speaker 3: You've got to ask, now, are you are you pineapple on or off? For sure?
Speaker 1: One hundred percent? You call yourself a personality.
Speaker 3: Gal, you've got to get the bar surname. Italians will come for me, So I've just got to I've got a hold on.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 3: Must be like when you're physically exhausted and you've also been watching everything that goes into your body, and then someone dishes up a pizza with the lot there's a that's a different level of joy. I'd levitate.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it, Harry, We've been so generous with your time. A couple more questions from us before we let you go, because we do know that you have a very intensive weak ahead of you.
Speaker 1: Last one from me, what are we thinking about la.
Speaker 4: I think at the moment, no, I think, and I've got to unpack this a little bit more of myself, but I think there is like, obviously, actually I'm sitting here as a twenty seven year old man looking at you know, I don't know how old the young boy is, but let's say a seven year old young boy who's just extremely embarrassed that he put himself out there. And I think I'm holding that young boy right now, and I think he's quite you know, embarrassed, and he has every right to feel like that he put himself out there and things he can go how he wanted to. But also as well, there is another side. I'm sitting here as a logical twenty seven year old man knowing what it takes to be an Olympic gold medalist and also knowing that I've never once chased money in my life and we don't look after athletes in Australia Olympic athletes. Should I say I finished the Tokyo Olympics with a bronze medal and I owe people money? You know, you can never put a price in your dream. But also as well, I am conscious I want to be a dad one day and I want to make sure that they have a roof over their heads and have opportunities. And I think if I was to try for LA, that puts me back to thirty one before I can have an opportunity where I can start making money and focusing on a career. And I think I've got to also think about what I want to be when I'm forty five, and when an Olympic gold medal is so effing important for myself, but having a family is way more important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you have an Olympic medal, no gold.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, hey squinch, Hey, if you squinch, my friend in the right line.
Speaker 1: And we will be there to support you no matter what, Harry.
Speaker 2: But just so you know, I'm not sure if you saw it, but when you said no to La your first thing, I want there to be a zoom in on Jelmy. It was like that episode of The Simpsons when Ralph Wiggams's heart breaks and it's like you can see his heart breaking, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Jelley was like no.
Speaker 3: All I heard was no right now? Yeah, So I went, you're telling me there's a chance, yeah, because I just couldn't the Olympics. And I know that obviously it means so much to you, but for me, it just is this pinnacle of opportunity and it would be so exciting to see you go again. But I also want to remind you, George and I have a strong theory that you're not an adult to your thirty oh y, like you're still growing and learning about who you are and what you're doing. But it's devastating for me to hear someone who again is an Olympic medallist talk about the fact that financial realities mean that pursuing what you do is something that you're weighing up for I guess security reasons and for the future of your family. Because as Australians, Olympics roll around every four years or Tokyo five years, and we think, right, oh, where are the medals? Who's winning? And we don't really look at the conditions that we're putting these athletes under for the four years to have that moment when really it shines well in our country. But what is our country doing to take care of these athletes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was I think there was the Daily Olds. Well the Daily Olds definitely posted it, but I think I can't remember the exact statistic, but there was a massive portion of elite athletes in Australia that are living under the Yeah, you know, it's that's a crazy reality to to think about. And I you know, I don't I focus so hard in my life on my sport. I don't have a degree, I don't have a qualification.
Speaker 3: I could have fooled us all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, honestly, I think.
Speaker 3: Communications degrees and I can tell you, yeah, you've got one up on us.
Speaker 4: But I've got to make I've got to also be conscious of like as I said, I've never chased money in my life, and I don't I don't ever want money to be something that I desire. But I do know that if I can win a world title in that process as well, I'll also make money that is the reality of professional boxing, and then retire with my respect and then focus on the family.
Speaker 3: Done.
Speaker 1: It's very achievable, sir, it's so achieved for you.
Speaker 3: For you. Yeah, anything I were speaking to like the next Prime Minister of the country, I know, like I mean, honestly, honestly, we just couldn't love you more and we're so excited to watch this far. But Harry, if you hear me, I hope that you're not calling us on your phone so that this actually works. But if you could whip out your Instagram and just read for me the caption that you posted on your last post, because for me, it was so inspiring and I think it captures what boxing means to you, but also what boxing can mean to kids. It's really incredible. If you don't mind.
Speaker 4: Okay, first starters, I hate reading, but I'm going to do it.
Speaker 3: You know what, give us your best day of Attenbrestole.
Speaker 4: You can do it, Harry, Okay. Boxing teaches something no school ever will, How to get hit in the face and stay calm, how to fail in front of a crowd and keep going, how to stand back up when every part of your body wants to quit. It teaches patience, discipline, and respect, and above all, it teaches resilience in the ring. There's no hiding, no one to blame, no excuses. Is the truth and the consequences of every choice. That kind of honesty is rare. That's why boxing is more than a sport. It's a classroom and every round is a lesson. Some spend their lives avoiding pain. Boxes learn how to walk through it and come out stronger.
Speaker 3: I live for this, yes, sir, Harry Garside, Harry Garside, the best sport say.
Speaker 4: I would love to claim that's mine.
Speaker 3: It's not mine who wrote that.
Speaker 4: I've got no idea.
Speaker 3: This is when you say chat GPT is a wonderful thing. No, that's what you just do.
Speaker 1: One of those quotes. It's like, oh it was Monroe, Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not. I'm sure no one's Buddha Gandhi.
Speaker 4: I'm sure out myself right now. I have definitely I have definitely before on a photo created quote myself and maybe we're not and said, I'm known because I don't want to seem like an arrogant.
Speaker 3: Harry, You've got I love that, but I don't want people to know that.
Speaker 1: I love that I'm seeing opportunities here. What I'm seeing is ambulance.
Speaker 3: Well, Harry Garside, if that is your real name, thank you so much for coming on this podcast as you know, two of your most devoted fans for what you do in the ring, but also just who you are as a person. Thank you so much for your time and we'll be watching go get them.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, guys, appreciate you both.
Speaker 1: I mean, clear your schedules and just listen to that whole chat again, just rewind it what a person.
Speaker 3: At different points, I forgot that we were doing the podcast. Yes, like I thought I was listening to a podcast of one of the more profound speakers, honestly and just and I was like, wow, it's amazing. Then I'm like, wait my turn, yeah, and do we hang on? Gotta jump in. Yeah. He is just his perspective and outlook and everything else and just how self aware he is is incredible.
Speaker 2: It's genuine as well, which is the thing is because he speaks so passionately, but it is all genuine like. That is who Harry Garside is. He is such that deep thinker and to his own detriment sometimes he would also admit because you just can't cannot escape the voice in your head. We wish him all the best in the next fight. Charlie Bell, Queens and Cole Miner. I'm sure you're lovely, but our allegiance.
Speaker 4: Is with Harry.
Speaker 3: Try to say anything more profound than the last couple of minutes. Charlie, if that is your real.
Speaker 2: Name, Yeah, so huge, Thank you, huge, thank you to Harry Garsife for coming on the pod and everyone listening.
Speaker 1: Let us know, let us know your feedbacks, your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Who you'd like to see on the podrag tag who you want?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're trying to do a few more interviews this season. You've probably noticed and hopefully you're enjoying them, because you know, Jemy and I we can talk underwater to ourselves, but out in a third person. I mean, we need fourteen years.
Speaker 3: And ideally the next one's not called Harry.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so hg as well, we had Harry Grant, Harry Garside, who's next to Honney Granger?
Speaker 3: Oh god, Emma Watson obviously and obviously that's reach out, is okay? I feel like we need to fun fact because you and I are deviating hard go on?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, fun fact, which is on brand on brand on theme. We love a theme, so we may. You may have realized that there was a federal election most recently, Yeah did you did you see that?
Speaker 3: No? I was at Magic Crab and believe me, Queenslanders did not care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so right. Quite a result. Quite a result though.
Speaker 2: The Labor Party Anthony Albaneze now PM again, which means that the Deputy PM will likely be Richard Miles. Now Richard Miles, Big big day, Big day for the Miles family, because yes, they were very interested in how.
Speaker 1: Richard was going to go. He's a huge Cats fan. That's just a side note.
Speaker 2: But their allegiances were divided in what they should be watching on federal election night. Would they be watching the coverage to see how he went in his electorate or were they going to be tuning in to see his son Sam fight in the mixed martial arts competition and defeat a man named Nate Law with a third round knockout.
Speaker 1: Which one were they going to choose? Did you know that?
Speaker 3: Wait, so mum's got to choose his husband keeping his job or his son keeping his teeth.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: So nice that you're flicking, You're flicking between the two shows.
Speaker 2: So my fun fact is that the Deputy Prime Minister of this country's son is a brutal MMA fighter, and a successful one at that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I say, because I'm like the thought of having a kid that gets into MMA be answers. No, we're worried about like CTE in like general contact, not like this guy's got you in a position that will break your arm unless you tap out.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, And as you know, I'm saying, this is a trained political journal Richard Miles, one of them more put together politicians going around this country. Now never a hair out of place, the ties always straight, the scarf perfectly.
Speaker 1: It's google Sam Miles and just have a look at his face. After this fight, You're like, okay, now, thank you.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this has been another episode of two Good Sports. We hope that you have enjoyed it, and until next
Speaker 3: Week, be Harry Garside