Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week.
Speaker 2: They are yetay, guys, welcome back to TV Reload. As mentioned yesterday, we are slightly out of order this week because I have so many of these Traders Australia conversations coming through, so I just want to do some quick housekeeping on that. So today we have the Rob Farnham Chat. Tomorrow we're going to do the movie review podcast with Bros. And then on Sunday I'm doing a double Traders episode with Gamble and Dicko. So Gamble and Dicko were available later in the week, so that's kind of why we're a little bit jumbled. But today Rob is here and this one turned into a bit of an unexpected reunion for me. Rob and I actually knew each other as kids, and we hadn't seen each other in maybe thirty years, and within the first few minutes we found ourselves reminiscing about riding motorcycles around near him South before eventually remembering that we're actually here to talk about the Traders. So guess what, guys, there's a lot to unpack. Rob tells me why after years of turning down reality television. This final was the show that got a yes, and weather. Growing up as John Farnham's son gave him a secret advantage when it came to working out who was being genuine with him and who was being friends with him with an ulterior motive. We get into his relationship with Dicko, which goes back much further than viewers might even realize. What was really happening inside the infamous LSD alliance and why the version of Rob's game we saw on television was actually different to the relationships that he was building inside the manner. We also talk about Kirby. Rob had his suspicions very early on with Kirby, so we'll find out what happened there and just how much harder it is to spot a trader when you're actually inside the game compared to screaming their name at your television from your couch. Rob also reveals some fascinating context about a banishment that seemingly came out of nowhere, and explains just how much gameplay and conversation never makes it to the final edit. Then we look at what's next for Rob. Could the traders convince Rob to do more reality television? Could we see him returning to acting, and what did John and Jill Farnham actually make of watching their son attempting to navigate this completely ridiculous game. There is some really lovely moments in this chat, and after more than three decades, it was genuinely great to catch up. So here it is, guys, Rob Farnham on TV reload. How are you Rob? Are you well?
Speaker 1: Well? Thank you Ben, thank you for having men.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I don't know if you remember this, but we hung out a fair when we were kids. Oh shit, do you remember spending any time in near him? In near him South?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: So my dad was so weird, but my dad was with Denise Drysdale, and so we used to Well, your place was not far from Denise's house, and we had these motorcycles and I crashed the motorcycle I had, so you a couple of times picked me up from Denise's place on your motorcycle because I didn't have one, and we'd ride around the paddocks in in near them.
Speaker 1: I actually I remember that. That's bizarre. How you going?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm good. They're like thirty years later, I have not seen you. Yeah, in a very very long time that we were children. I think I was like twelve or thirteen, I don't know, is that crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember.
Speaker 2: So we need to talk about the Traders. I love this show, and I think you were such a great addition. But at the same time, you know you're not a reality TV person. What were you doing there?
Speaker 1: What was I doing? I thought that to myself every day, so I like to challenge myself. And I'd seen the show a couple of times, or a couple of seasons of the show, the US and the UK one, so I was already a fan of the premise and how it all worked. I thought it was very funny. I liked that it wasn't contrived, and producers weren't talking in people's year or it didn't look like that. So it was just a bit more of a socials experiment, and it turned out that that's how it was. So when the opportunity came along and I was asked, I actually looked at my phone and I said to my wife Mel, I was like Traders, and we both just instantly both said, I've got it. I knew it was going to be fun. I knew I was going to meet some people that I wouldn't necessarily meet unless I did something like that. And like I said, I like putting myself in in situations where I'm a bit of a fish out of water and I'm no stranger to performing and being on TV and around celebrities and all that sort of thing. So for me, it was a bit of an easy yes. Yeah, that's kind of why I was just like, absolutely.
Speaker 2: But had you been asked to do reality television before? I mean I'm assuming that you have. I mean, all of these shows would have wanted you over the years. Can you maybe tell me some of the ones you've turned down?
Speaker 1: I won't go into too much detail, but there has been a couple over the years that have and I've said no to them, and you know, they stopped asking after a while because they were just getting no's. It's just not something that I ever ever wanted to do. You know, I don't even watch reality TV. I think the only reality TV show I watched every now and then it's probably Kardashians. But don't tell anyone.
Speaker 2: So picturing you and Mel sitting in the Northern rivers watching Kardashian and it sounds pretty fabulous.
Speaker 1: Rob well, we enjoy it, and you know, obviously Qcum Girl and the whole thing. So yeah, you know we watched that and every now and then that's a bit of a guilty pleasure. It's a bit of fun.
Speaker 2: Also, what I thought was really interesting was that Ian Dixon made this connection with you pretty quickly. I love Dicko, So if I was you, I would have been pelling up with him as well. But I just he kind of was like, you know, we kind of know each other. How much did you know of Ian Dixon.
Speaker 1: I've known Dicko since I was about Wow. So he worked for a record label that my old boy was Wounds and then for like decades, so I knew him very very well. Wow. Yeah. So and we'd hung out multiple times over the over the years as adults and you know three the Australian ilier and so I knew him really really really really really well. So for me, it was just an easy connection. And you know, I didn't know he was going to be there. I was happy that he was because, you know, being my first time into a reality TV show, it was nice to have someone that could almost ground me a little bit. And so at the beginning, it was very much like, yes, like I've got someone that I know I can trust, regardless of him that person being a trader, he would never have murdered me, and vice versa, well to a point, maybe I might have killed him if I was a trader. I don't know. But he I trusted him and I love him. He's an amazing human. He's extremely articulate, very very intelligent. And you know, some people hate him and I understand that, and some people really really like him and are drawn to him. And he's a very good public speaker. He does command a room, and that's what he's known for. You know, he's known for doing that. So that's why, you know, when when he proposed the LSD connection, of course I was going to say it. So I'm not going to say no on day one because I don't know anyone, so, you know, and lucky for him, he had me and cost him up, you know, these two connections. So he got pretty lucky with that, and then slowly we started to build around it with you know, Josh Luke. Then he went a little I feel he went a little too far by the secrecy in LSD had gone. You know, it was just he was just whoever was sitting next to he'd invite into the gang.
Speaker 2: And it was recruiting way too many people. What was going on with that?
Speaker 1: I was like, there was a couple of times that aren't shown on Tiva. Rahman put the brakes, like stop inviting people like Kirby. You just what you invited Kirby, Like, I think she's a traderr And so at the beginning the block voting, and I know it's controversial, but to me that made sense. And I was went in to the game thinking I don't need to make friends with anyone, and I'm going to be emotionally detached, and but I'm not like that, you know. And after a few votes voting the wrong people out because I figured we'd at least get one, you know, in a block vote, like randomly get one, And that was when I started really going, Okay, this is a bit shit's going to be pair shaped here. We need to sort of steer the ship in a different direction. And yeah, just it just panned out how panned out, unfortunately. But yeah, I mean I love Dicko. He's very polarizing to people that just meet him as well, so I understand why he got voted out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, to be honest with you, I'm shocked that they didn't make him a trader because it just obvious, I know, but it was like born to be a trader. I actually think, this is my theory, is that Dicko thought, oh yeah, I'm not a trader at the start, but I'm definitely getting recruited. I actually think in some way some of his LSD was a audition to the traders that were obviously in full function to be like, hey.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. And I never thought of it like that. So that is a super good point. And I feel like that's what another player is doing at the moment, you know, in that last episode. Yeah, that's a really really good point. I never looked at it like that. But yeah, it was just an interesting way to play. But yeah, it's just I don't know, it just got a little bit. It just got a little bit old towards the end. And yeah, it was just like, come on, man, we need to we need to start actually voting for hunches and you know, and that's why a few of us went rogue a couple of times, and Hussemer went and there was things like that, So you know, in the last day, it was, you know, I didn't want to vote for Reese because I didn't think Reese was a trader, you know, but that was where the block vote was potentially going, and I could have saved I could have saved Dicker, but you know, I didn't want to lose another faithfulm particularly Reese. And yeah, it kind of I felt bad because I could have saved Kicker. Because Chrissy and Dicko, I believe there's a little bit of a personality clash a little bit. Christy will deny that, and I love you, Chrissy, if you're watching all the love, I do feel like there was a little bit of the old white man complex being the boss, which you know, there are elements of that, I will admit that. So maybe that that was a little bit like, you know, cheer down the patriarchy kind of thing, but it was what it was, you know, And Dicko left, and once that happened, I was like, shit, I'm next. I'm just thankful I got murdered and not voted out. I think standing there at the round table getting voted out would have been would have been pretty tough.
Speaker 2: It is a tough way and you talk to I've spoken to people all over the world. I've spoken to people who played the American English ones, and yeah, I think the banishment is hard. Do you know what I think is fantastic about the decision to pick you is I think if anyone knows you, you've grown up with very famous parents, like both your mum and dad are so well known, and particularly your father. And I think when you grew up with people and I saw this with Pete Robb with Denise being very famous, you know, through the eighties in nineties, is that as a child you pick up pretty quickly who wants to be friends with you for real reasons and who's being very disingenuous. It's just it is the lifestyle of a celebrity child. I think, do you think that am I right by saying that you're a good pick to bottle show for that reason?
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm a good pick for the show, but you are right in the respect of what you just said. You know, I definitely I can tell when people are you know, when they're asking. Growing up, you can just tell straight away, you know someone actually is interested and wants to know stuff, or if they're being a smart ass, or if they're trying to take the piers or whatever. So you pick it up pick up on it pretty quickly. And I did think going into the show that that was going to be my superpower. But everyone was very well pretty good at either high you know high, and half the people didn't know who my old boy was. Like a lot of the younger people, like I'm forty four and you know, the generations around me and maybe one or two below know who dad was. But the younger people, like in their twenties early twenties, had no idea. The way that they were talking to me was just how they would talk to normal people. So for me that was a little confusing because I'd like to think I could use that power to work out who's what and compartmentalize and do that whole thing. But you can't do that with someone that doesn't have any idea, So that was difficult. But there wasn't really anyone that I was like super suss apart from Kirby. You know, I really was onto her at the start, and then I flip flopped, like can you diat?
Speaker 2: I think it's really obvious watching the show, But I mean I think she's playing obviously a very social game underneath what we're seeing on TV, because by nature, I think Herby's a very likable person and she must have been building very strong connections. But the way we're watching it as television, I think Australia is like, what is wrong with these people? Why haven't you thrown Herby out?
Speaker 1: And look, I'm watching it too, but I'm on the show, but I'm watching it going this is so obvious. But you're also not seeing, you know, with their edited it's suck. So it looks like, you know, it's a storyline, it's TV. You know, we're gonna make it look you know, like that. So as much as idiots that we look like the eye roll in the conversation, maybe not from that conversation. It's from this conversation or the steaky or the thing or the whatever. It's easy to sit there and arm check quarterback and say, you know, these guys are idiots blah blah blah blah xa Z and you're totally correct because we are idiots and we should have seen it. But at the time, when you're in the game, it's not easy. And I want to sleep where my arrogance. Going into the game, I was like, man, these people are going to be so easy to pick, and there's it wasn't you know Kirby pretty much straight away? But I was thrown off. I looped back around and then suspected her again. And you know, it's tried to get people to vote a certain way, but I didn't want to vote her singly because I didn't want to stick my neck out. And you know, other things happened, what the Cosuma vote. We talked about that a little bit, like did that just come out of nowhere?
Speaker 2: Costomer is an interesting one. I didn't really understand how quickly she went down. Seemed like a bit of a surprise. And also everyone that talks about her on the show was like, you know, she was very sweet and she was very innocent. I think it was a bizarre quick blunishment, do you know what I mean? Like I just didn't quite understand it. I don't think she really understood it either. She was just too close to Dicko, much like you. I think if you and Cossama had not have befriended Dicko but maybe kept it as a secret friendship, you guys might have been there longer.
Speaker 1: But with caause that storyline was pushed for another storyline. All day, you know, I was hanging with the girls, which was Gamble, Kira, Claudia, Prissy, and all day we were like, man, I was in must have been real weird today, Like she's you know, super sleepy and you're over analyzed everything. There's acting a bit different. So this particular day we're like talking to everyone and talking to Josh and Woebron, I'm like, man, causes actually real strange today. And you know that was a big thing for the whole day and probably a little bit of the day before as well, but you don't see any of that. So when the vote happened, it's like completely out of nowhere, and it looked that way, but there was a huge lead up to us voting her out that just didn't get seen. And it makes us look even more ridiculous because like everyone's like, oh, we suspect this person, this person, this person, and then we vote someone completely random, when in reality, there was this huge influx of information from everybody. That's why when Dicko was addressing the table after the vote saying that it was pissed off, I was like, you know, everyone just spoke their truth because that's how they felt. This has been you know, a day and a half of lead up of costumer acting abnormal and when I mean normal, we'd known if it's three days, so what's add normal after three days? You know, you can't you can't really pick that. But in this instance we're like, oh my god, you know so, yeah, that did feel out of nowhere, but there was a huge lead up to that that we just didn't see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because most of the time there's five storylines happening and then two go to go to where I worked that out with Big Brother. Like when the show finished, I remember saying to Mom, what about this? And it was like a storyline the whole season long? And she goes, no, I we never saw that. And then the kept bringing me and saying stories, and Mum was in the car with me, and Mom goes, you need to watch your show to work out what everyone thinks is the reality versus what you experienced in reality television. It's a very strange dynamic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would one hundred percent back then. The whole side of the game, my gameplay you didn't see was my interactions with the girls like there was. I spent only eighty percent of my time with Kira, Claudia, Chrissy and Gamble, you know, not just with spending next to Dicko, going well, we're gonna do Dicko. It wasn't like that, Like, it was very much, very different to that. And then you know, it's portrayed it was just this boys club when in reality it kind of wasn't. Well, at least not for me. I wanted to expand O these people I didn't interact with at all. But for the most part, yeah, I was humbled with the girls, you know, because they I love strong women. I was raised by a strong woman, I married a strong woman. I was drawn to that. So being around those girls felt very comfortable for me, and I had some real badly laughs with them because they're just absolute firecrackers, all of them, and completely different personalities and amazing in their own right. But yeah, I also spent a lot of time with Luke and Josh and a bit of time with Alex, and I spent some time with Rachel too, But these things don't get shown because they weren't pushing the narrative of certain parts of the story, which is I totally understand. Do you feel like you've watched this now and a part of this now and you think, oh, I got a taste for this because they say real like Craig Cocaine. I mean about like you know, you're going to lose your mind. I do Traders again. I definitely do Traders again because I had a lot of fun. I don't want to be in the jungle. I don't want to eat anything weird. I'm not a dancer. It's probably you know, love all and I can't do I'm married, or one would want to do. You know, I can't do maths. I'm married, you know, so these sort of shows I can't cook. My wife's a great cook. But yeah, those sort of ones probably not. And you know, talking to Josh and Luke about their involvement in the block, that sounded really hectic, particularly for those two boys, and I actually watched their season. But something like this, you know, I'd potentially do it.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they've asked you to do like the voice in Israelian Idol though the singing ones. I mean, you're you're very well known for being in your own band. We know you're a singer. We've just watched an episode of one of those shows. I can't remember which one it is, now, where is it your cousin or something? There's a relative that's on it anyway, and that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's not a way that I would want to further my career. There are no shortcuts in the music industry, and you've got to pay dues. It's just not something that I would do. But east of their own, I.
Speaker 2: Think you've been the great actor. I think actings on. I feel like I'm being my I'm putting my Jackie Gillies on. That's a gamble Bro reference. It's a Real Housewives reference. You might not get that one, but as she's a psychic, I don't know. I just feel like this is maybe an opportunity for people to get to know you and now do some work in acting.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, and that was I'm some of the reason why I did it. I did a couple of movies in my twenties, Queen the dand With the Lea When you Know at the Time, which was shot in Mellen and directed by Michael Reimer By Visit a movie called The Wild Girls, which isn't as wild as it seems that was with Alivia, John and Chloe, which it was in my twenties, so you know, I'm in my forties now look very different. I do want to get back into that then, and I'm actually in shooting in the movie The End of the Year. Jeff Bennett bio picked. There are no small roles in acting, you know, That's how you've got to seek. I have a minor rolling map, which I'm really excited about. For me, it's about moving into that space again. Music is obviously a huge part of my life, performing at the songs for John Farnham, which is the concept that's happening in September, which I'm really excited about. So that's still very much part of my life. But I also want to get into back in act and head down that path again. That pursue that because as I age into my later years, I can't be in a rock slash metal band. You know, you can tribe as for Neil Old Rockers. Yeah, I know that they're the big successful one. So at some point I need to grow up and you know, I need to start thinking about other things to do. And I feel like that's a fun transition for sure.
Speaker 2: But perhaps let me go because I've run out of time. But I just wanted to say, because everyone will want to know did your parents watch it? And did they send you any notes? When I want to know, what are the notes that you feel comfortable revealing Mum?
Speaker 1: And Mum thinks I'm playing a decent game. But she's like everybody else like saying it, you know, and she's like, you are moron, Like you know, it's so obvious. Dang, I mean, you know, like you know, she's like and Dad has been super supported, like just you know, he was devo when I was killed because I didn't tell him, and yeah, just just all the support from him. So it's been lovel But I was going to say that weird.
Speaker 2: The thing I remember about your parents was how disconnected I was from them being anybody like, because when your children don't care about famous people, like we didn't. I don't think we cared who Denise was, you know, I don't think we quite understood it. But I just remember, you know, Whispering Jack had come out in the eighties, so me and your dad was huge during that time of spending time with you boys and with your parents, and I just remember there was no connection for my my child brain to John Farnham to being a singer, to who your dad was when he was at a house like he was just your parents were so suburban.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they really are and they still are. You know, they're super humble and very played down and you know, I have a beautiful house, but it's not lazy, you know, extravagant, you kind of thing. So they're very played down and they've always been like one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember people would always ask stories. Then you'd be like, there's absolutely nothing. They're like the most normal people. But I could think I could.
Speaker 1: Think of super normal, suber normal.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, maybe send your brother James in the next season because I don't know if I'll be ready to do it All Stars yet, but you can definitely, you know, park the car at the front for the All Stars one, I think.
Speaker 1: But I appreciate that, mate, Bambo. It is a pleasure to catch up with you again after how many years it's been.
Speaker 2: I'll leave you to it. Enjoy chatting to the media about this and reveling in it. Yeah, thank you for being so generous with your time.
Speaker 1: Great tablet.
Speaker 2: Mmm,