Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today is Friday, my Friends, which means it is time to get the team together and celebrate you how incredible She's on the Money community. Today, we'll be sharing our favorite money wins. We'll be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma which this week is all about if you're ever too old to become financially free, and we unpacked something that you slid into our dms about all about sharing costs in a share house, team. Welcome, How has your week been?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 2: Hello, how are you good? How are you tgif guys.
Speaker 4: We're done here?
Speaker 2: Okay, cool? See you see bye?
Speaker 4: I said how are you? And you both introduced each other. You were like, oh hey, Beck, how heys? Like hi over the other side of the paid you know that I don't know.
Speaker 5: I can't picked up thank you.
Speaker 4: I'll just see myself out. How will we this week? Has anything interesting happened in the community? Has anything interesting happened in your lives?
Speaker 2: Beck?
Speaker 4: I feel like you have something to share about ipantry, Like, Oh.
Speaker 2: I'm big time a fan of eye pantry. I discovered it not long ago and just got back into it. I hate cooking, yeah, and fat. I've ordered a big box of individual sandwiches and little snacks and it didn't break the bank. And now I'm done for the week. I don't have to cook ever again.
Speaker 4: Jess and I learned about this just before this episode because you were eating what looked like a very tasty panini and we were like, where did you just whip that out from? Because I just ate some two minute noodles and I guarantee, guarantee, like I will put money on the fact that Jess is like, maybe I'll get a cheeseburger on the way home. Get some She'll get six nuggets, sweet and sour sauce, medium chips, and a medium coke, but not coke zereo because zero tastes like trash.
Speaker 2: You'll get a full fat coke. Am I wrong?
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 5: She knows my order really well, not just a McDonald's at multiple restaurants.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I'm all across this. I actually pride myself on knowing other people's orders. But you taught us about ipantry, and I was just shooked because your panini looked really good, and both of us with trash demons when it comes to what we put into our bodies most time, and you were just like, here's this gormet panini that.
Speaker 2: I that I would never ever ever make.
Speaker 4: It's basically like a catering website, right that you go on and you go and order for a pack of like paninis and then have them for lunch. You're a genius.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then you can get some of those ready made meals, like you know, you food's dynamic and you don't have to like subscribe to anything. You just grab a bit of this grab a bit of that from the comfort of your lounge.
Speaker 4: I am so impressed. This isn't sponsored.
Speaker 6: We're just like.
Speaker 2: Depressed.
Speaker 4: No, we're not being paid to do that, but yeah, we just impressed. But Jess, let's get into community money wins. As always, we do a quick whip around of your favorite money wins of the week from a weekly thread.
Speaker 2: What have you got for us this week?
Speaker 5: My first money win comes from Jess's great name, who said money wins.
Speaker 4: What hermac's order is?
Speaker 5: Hopefully six nuggets because we're now one person because we're only option apparently Nuggies or bust. She said, money Wins started my diploma through tapes feet free courses, so I have saved seven thousand dollars and don't have to pay a cent.
Speaker 4: How good is it that most tape courses are al free in Australia.
Speaker 5: I keep saying posts coming up that they've added more courses or more so we go and learn Osland. I saw that. I actually looked into it. Right now there's only one place in Melbourne that offers it, which was a little bit sad, but I'm hoping they can do it remotely, so not from what I saw, but I thought that was really incredible because I would actually really love to learn Oslane and.
Speaker 4: I don't have enough time at the moment in person classes. Yeah, but the second I saw it was free through Tafe, I was like, wow, this is so exciting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, jump on the tape website see if, of course you're interested in is subsidized or maybe free, because that's incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, upskill, We.
Speaker 5: Love it, We absolutely do. My next money win comes from Gabby who said money win. My work pays for me to have Quantus Club, and I fly very regularly for work, so you can bet I'm at the airport stupidly early for every flight, saving on cash and that grocery bill. This morning I got my seven dollar cappuccino for free.
Speaker 4: Yeah money, do you know what? That was one of the things that I found really impressive because obviously I pay extra for oatmeal every single time.
Speaker 2: Free.
Speaker 4: The Virgin loungeree.
Speaker 5: We love the Virgin Loud.
Speaker 4: They've just added o't milk and I'm very envy about it.
Speaker 2: Oh exciting.
Speaker 4: I would like to think that that's because they listen to us. Yes, we single handedly brought milk to the Virgin Lounge in Melbourne for sure, one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent that was me.
Speaker 5: My next money in this week comes from Marissa, who said money when me and my long term partner of seven years are finally able to have a healthy conversation about finances, and it's all thanks to the podcast. He has to listen to it when he's in the car to listen to it, and he's becoming far more open. It's a step in the right direction together. I also loved the idea of him being like held hostage in.
Speaker 4: My car, talking to him, like you're going to learn about compound interests.
Speaker 5: Greg Hi, Greg or what if your name is? We love and appreciate your listening. My next money in this week comes from LJ who said I recently started using chass after a long time of debating whether I should get into the share mark. Thanks to Shoes on the Money, I finally feel confident too after using shop back for all of my Christmas shopping, I'm now withdrawing my cash back and putting it straight into my chas ease, feeling like I can finally finance.
Speaker 4: It's kind of cool that, you know, our biggest supporters of the show are basically making our community reach. I had so cool and.
Speaker 5: I thought it was so smart that She's like, I'm gonna get my cash back here, and then I'm just gonna put that money straight in.
Speaker 4: I'm investing my shopping li Regenius.
Speaker 5: It's like a little ecosystem. How clever is that?
Speaker 2: Love love Love.
Speaker 5: And then my lucky last win this week comes from Teresa, who said small money win. The cobbler I went to for the first time did the wrong repair on the pair of sandals, so gave me twenty dollars back. I also got five pairs of shoes that I loved fixed. Most of them were secondhand, so I've extended the life of all of them, which means I'm spending less money on buying new shoes in the future, and I'm helping to reduce waste money. I would never think to go to a cobbler like I would just be really no same.
Speaker 2: I was thinking that too. I was like, cobbler, cobbler, Yeah, I like that is so clever. It is really clever.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's how some of my shoes have lasted ten plus years. Yeah, is I get that. It's called topi. It's like a rubber sole put on the bottom of shoes, And if I buy like a pair of boots or something, I always get it put on because I feel like they last longer. And then you can just get that rubber piece replaced when it wears through.
Speaker 5: Really smart. The shoes already broken in, you don't have to break in, and.
Speaker 4: New pet's actually so smart. Like if you find a really nice pair of boots or something at the op shop and you're like, oh, the sole's a bad you can fix that.
Speaker 1: Genius?
Speaker 2: How good?
Speaker 4: I feel like their genius money wins this week. They're making money, they're investing, they're fixing clothes, save in the environment. You know it begs money, win a five pantry. Honestly, I feel like I'm set up for a very productive weeks.
Speaker 2: Got a week you could feel in about this one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Let's go to a really quick break and then after the break, I want to talk about our money dilemma, about whether you're ever too old to become financially free, and I want to jump into the juicy conversation about how to split costs while living in a share house. There are some horror stories to come out, I am sure of it. Don't go anywhere, guys.
Speaker 5: Welcome back everybody. I think it's time that we jump straight into this week's money dilemma. Should we take a little listen?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 4: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheess on the Money Team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, my name's Angela. I am forty seven years of age. I only have super I don't have any investments or property. I'm just wondering whether you think I'm too old to become financially free from the perspective of getting enough investments and property to be able to stop working, and how long this would normally take. Feels like our time has already passed, so just wondering.
Speaker 4: What to do next.
Speaker 6: Would greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you.
Speaker 5: I feel like this is a good one to handball straight to that side of the same great.
Speaker 4: I see what we're doing here. We're not pulling our weight as if shoes on the Money team. No, there's no such thing as too old. And I feel like any step in the right direction is a step that is going to help you become financially free in the future. And we hear this a lot. Actually, it was the most wholesome I think you commented on it, Jess. A couple of weeks ago, there was a group of people commenting in the group saying like, Oh, I'm fifty two and I've just discovered this podcast. I'm not for you, and I was like, you are for me if you resonate with this content. This podcast is for you. And there's no such thing as too late. To be honest, like, I have worked with women in their late sixties who are preparing themselves for retirement, and I think that, yeah, any step is a step in the right direction. As women, we retire with forty two percent less super than men do, and I feel like anything that we can do to bring that a little bit closer, or put us into a situation where we're not going to experience any type of poverty during retirement is a step in the right direction. And I mean, at forty seven, I have no idea how much you earn or how much you spend or.
Speaker 2: What the facts are.
Speaker 4: But what I can tell you is, even if it's ten dollars invested every single month, is a step in the right direction, because I'm assuming if you're caring about investing, what you're also caring about is the rest of your financial house. You're caring about having an emergency fund, You're caring about your budget and cash flow and having all of those ducks in a row. You're caring about your personal insurances. You're caring about what your superannuation looks like and whether your fund's performing for you, and all of those things are going to put you financially ahead. But then also, if we look at where you're at in life, you're only forty seven, you're still so young, Like it's eighteen years before officially you can retire. But most people are retiring at seventy seventy five these days, Like they're always saying things like seventy is the new sixty and stuff like that, because how many women are actually staying in the workforce by choice, Like they might be able to retire, but they're like, I don't want to retire. What else I'm going to do. I might just work part time, or I might just have the financial freedom to do whatever I like. So I feel like any step is a step in the right direction. But if we even just do a little bit of simple compound interest here, you're forty seven. Technically, retirement age or the age that you can access your souperranuation with absolutely no tax is sixty five years old, which is called your preservation age, and at this point that's eighteen years away. In another podcast episode we did recently, we said that the ASX Top two hundred index fund had an average return of nine point three percent over the last ten years. So let's use those maths and have a look at it. If you deposited one thousand dollars into an investment account today and then every single month, because you are forty seven and you're heading towards retirement, so you want to take it a bit more seriously, We're not talking fifty bucks here. You might go, all right, well, I want to put five hundred dollars aside each month, And this is just an example. It can gale up and down, and you guys can go to the moneysmart dot gov, dot AU website and have a look at their compound interest calculator to do your own predictions. But at an initial deposit of one thousand dollars and then five hundred dollars each and every single month, you could be putting yourself in a position where you have an additional two hundred and eighty two thousand dollars to retire with. Amazing, that's one hundred percent worth it. Given most women retire with less than three hundred thousand dollars in their super account, you could literally put yourself in a position where you're double what the average is. How good is that? I just feel like so many times when we're talking about wealth or whether it's too late, people extrapolated out and think we need millions. Do you know how much two hundred and eighty thousand dollars for you in retirement? So much? It is the difference between poverty and actually being able to live a life that you deserve. We're not talking about having to have hundreds of thousands of dollars of income. And while a lot of examples in Sheese on the Money use that it's because it's motivating to a young a daymographic to get them to take financial literacy seriously, because if I said to you Beck and Jess, oh you could be two hundred grands better off, you're young, You're like whatever, My friends save two hundred grand for their first house, Like you just don't care as much as if I said, Beck, do you want to be a millionaire? Like it's clickbait. I'm using it to my advantage to make people take financial literacy seriously. But at the crux of it, being two hundred and eighty thousand dollars better off in retirement is going to be life changing, and I promise that. So No, it is never too late to take financial literacy seriously. And Jess, you can probably you know, chime in here. But we see it all the time in our community, women who are closer to retirement age saying, oh my god, I just found this podcast. I'm better off for I just found this podcast and I now understand my souper for the first time in my life. Or I now have an emergency fund and I didn't before, and I feel so much more financially free. Financial freedom means different things to different people. It's not necessarily becoming a millionaire and being a big dog because that's not even what I think is feasible for most people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And if you're in the position like Angela and she, you know, mentioned that she was looking at hopefully maybe retiring a little bit early and wanting to get into property investment, do you think it would be worthwhile her reaching out to a financial advisor to get some professional advice around that?
Speaker 4: One hundred percent over eighteen years, you have so much power and so much time, and there's no such thing as too late. I met somebody the other day who is fifty five and at unique cause she's changing her career. Isn't that sick of that?
Speaker 2: Isn't that sick?
Speaker 4: She's like, no, I always wanted to be a paramedic, and I just decided I'm healthy. I'm you know, at a stage in my life where all I'm doing is regretting having not become a paramedic. And she's like, I've got, you know, at least ten years in me before I even think about retirement, before I even become that agent. She's like, and I'm really fit, So I reckon, I'll I've got more time than that. And I was just like, how cool is it that there's this fifty five year old who's back at UNI, who's probably got so much more life experience than anyone else in that course at this point in time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what an asset that is.
Speaker 4: Honestly, start seeing yourself as the asset you are, instead of feeling like a burden, which I think a lot of women once they pass their quote child bearing years they feel. And I'm not saying that because I believe it. I'm saying that because I have experienced women talking to me about like, oh, I just don't feel like I have direction or we should have done this when I was younger.
Speaker 2: Do it now?
Speaker 5: The world doesn't end when we retire. You're like halfway a little bit over halfway through your lifespan. Sure, which is crazy, isn't it.
Speaker 4: People are now living to one hundred and we actually, as financial plan when I was a financial planner, used to go to conferences and stuff and be talking about life expectancy and it used to be eighty two years and it's just increasing and as the medical world progresses, it's just going to increase even more. And I find it super interesting because I went to a conference a while ago and one of the speakers said, recently a baby was born that is going to make it to one hundred and fifty years old. We don't know who that is, but based on predictions of what our longevity actually looks like, andsion in science and progression in technology, there is literally someone on this earth that's going to live to one fifty. That's crazy, right, that's incredible. So key having to pay for their retirement.
Speaker 5: That really is so interesting. But I want to wrap it up because I am so keen to talk about this week's DM conversation because it's happened to me and I want to.
Speaker 4: Talk about it same. I feel like this is going to get really heated because I've never had this conversation with all the stories, and I feel like, maybe, Beck, have you had a little bit of a nasty's share house experience in your time?
Speaker 2: I've had some interesting ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So here's our DM.
Speaker 4: It says High Team, hoping for a little bit of help with a tricky sharehouse situation. I'm struggling with feeling like I have a housemate who doesn't contribute regularly to shared household items, for example, toilet paper, washing, liquid cleaning.
Speaker 2: Products, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Any idea on how to approach this we're pretty new living together, so I just don't want it to be awkward.
Speaker 2: What would you guys?
Speaker 5: Do you have to set the boundaries early, because this is mistake that I have made in the past, is you let it go. And then in my situation, there was three of us living together and two people were kind of always doing everything in one person was just free looting, and it got by for so long that we've been living together for like six months, and it was so much harder to have the conversation then, because I think when you when you've just moved in, your kind of finding your vibe, you can suggest alternative ways of splitting things and it's not so weird because you can be like, oh, I know, we've just kind of figured it out. Here's what I did with a different group of people and it worked really well. Whereas if you get six months in, I feel like it feels a bit more whack. You're going, hey, bestie, you're the problem and so we need to find a solution, Whereas if you do it early.
Speaker 4: It's just sorting out your boundaries exactly.
Speaker 2: I've been in some really awkward situations with housemates before I know, the first house I moved into when I moved to Melbourne was this little cute little house in Brunswick, and literally to this day there's still someone who owes a month's rent.
Speaker 5: I have someone who still I'm getting getting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was this, like, you know, you definitely find some of these people in house house shares where there's just one dodgy one that always just hops from house to house somehow always gets away with it. I managed to live with one of them, and she's out there somewhere justading, freeloading, doing something with that rent money. I don't know what. Yeah, it definitely is a little bit awkward. I think that it's obviously best to set the boundary ahead of time, but if you're too far gone and there's still freeloading, best thing to do is just get the entire household to download beam It or like whatever else you want. Split wise. Beam It's cool because you can like pay through the app. You don't have to like say you've paid and then go to your separate banking and.
Speaker 4: Beam it was available in Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so exciting.
Speaker 4: That's very cool.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I've led you onto so much.
Speaker 4: Should I have learned about beamit and about iepantry. My life has changed because of you.
Speaker 3: Ben.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's amazing. I'm so happy to hear that. But yeah, I would say get the household to download beem It so it feels like you're not targeting one person. You're telling the whole house to do this. So it's a lot easier to manage for everyone, not because one person's not paying, but just so we all have a little you know, make it seem a little bit casual, and then just add everything on there so you can literally see who's not paying. It's like written down you've got on paper for you, you've got recints.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's still going to be that one person who doesn't pay you back if you're the housemate. And I feel like, Jess, you were the housemate in this situation, because you're very similar to me in that if you go to the supermarket and you know you need toilet paper, you would just go and buy the toilet paper and put it in the house and just like go, I'll just get them to get it next time, and then twelve months down the track, you realize that you've bought it every single month and no one else has. How do you bring that up? How do you go, oh, hey, back, could you like buy the toilet paper this time? Like I feel like always like, oh yeah, I grab some next, and then they.
Speaker 2: Never get it. They never get it. Hmmm hmmm.
Speaker 5: It's kind of that thing of like you can start tracking it because maybe it goes the other way, maybe your perceptions off. Let's play Devil's advocate. Maybe I'm just feeling like I'm really carrying the load and not realizing what someone else is doing. So I feel like, as you said, it's good to just have your ducks in a row, So like I would personally start kind of keeping a track of what I'm doing so that I can say, hey, like here's what I've done. What have you done? And you can kind of compare notes, like maybe she's getting dishwashing liquid and you're getting toilet.
Speaker 4: Paper, and you just feel that it's out of sync, but they're actually contributing in another way.
Speaker 5: Correct Or if it goes the other way and you're buying everything, then you can be like, hey, like you own me four.
Speaker 2: Hundred dollars or whatever.
Speaker 5: WHOA see.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's fair, like as much as I don't think it's fair that you would have to spend four hundred dollars. I also think that it shouldn't get to four hundred dollars rolling before you go, Beck, you owe me this, and Beck's going to go I don't have that cash. I don't know what you think I'm going to do here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think we should nip it in the butt at the very start and be like, oh, I spent twelve dollars on toilet paper, you're only six bucks or whatever it is. And while it feels petty like using an app like Beaman or split Wives, which I do have a lot of experience with, can actually just keep track of that. So guys, do not let it get out of hand, because one you'll be mad because you're out four hundred bucks, but two, it just becomes such an awkward conversation.
Speaker 5: Yes, I feel like a lot of people messages though, with alternative ways of doing it, because I think that's the other thing is when you live with people, you don't just have to split everything like you. There's a lot of different systems that different people have that work for them. Right, What did people say.
Speaker 4: Oh, their responses are so fast, so everyone's got a story and it makes us heated. When someone says, I just hit toilet paper in my room for you.
Speaker 2: That's not a bad idea. I was like, you do you?
Speaker 4: But I would get to the bathroom and have forgotten to go get this. I'm sure someone else said there's no such thing as a shared expense or a shared household item until it's been agreed to.
Speaker 2: That's a really good that's a good perspective.
Speaker 4: There have been a couple of suggestions to download split wise and track how much they end up owing you someone else. I'm not sure about this one because it falls to the being one individual's responsibility. They said, have a commun or kiddy that one person manages.
Speaker 5: I feel like someone has to take on the treasure rock.
Speaker 4: Also, like, what are you out here buying sorbent and toilet paper? I just wanted to buy black and gold. Why are you wasting money on sorbent?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Exactly, what do you mean you didn't buy the home Rand version? Or what do you mean you bought the home brand version? What is my money going to?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: That's such a heated conversation that you could get into a lot of people. Now I read these Becker suggesting bemit. So I have indeed been ding under a rock. Someone said, I don't know how to bring it up, so I just don't cry in my room relatable mirror if to me and have a chat, I think we can have a chat. Someone else said we ended up having to raise our housemates rent to make up for the amount he wasn't contributing. Imagine being like, all right, Jess, you now have one hundred dollars a week more rent to pay because you keep using my TP.
Speaker 5: If you found out, though, I feel like you'd be so yes about that.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they rode up like a fake your rental.
Speaker 4: It was completely fraudulent.
Speaker 2: Y that is wild.
Speaker 4: Someone else has suggested make sure you have a group chat with all the housemates and use it. You need to verbalize what you need, which I think is really important. I think, as we're saying before, nip it in the bud and track it. And even if it's small, I think it should be added. Someone else said, chuck a list on the fridge of basics and initial each time you purchase it. I've done this before and it worked really well. Someone said it's hard, but don't sweat the small stuff. Think of the money you're saving by just living in a share house.
Speaker 5: Okay, you say that, you say that it's not worth the emotional trauma.
Speaker 4: Have you lived in a sharehouse? Because there's somebody who lived years in a sharehouse. It's not how it goes.
Speaker 2: No, you live in a sharehouse because those little little dollars mean a lot to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But then also I feel like compounds over time. I used to live with a housemate that I have a crazy housemate story, well a couple of crazy housemate stories, but I have one crazy housemate that was literally that person. She never paid for anything. She would use my shampoo and my conditioner, and she would use all of my staff. And as a poor UNI student who used to like one of my things that I would always spend money on with shampoo and conditioner, like, I'd get so salty to the point where I ended up having like a little do you remember that shower you know plastic cleaning caddies that you could buy. I had almost shower products in there, and I'd keep it in my room. And then I swore, I swore they were still going down. Turns out she was going into my room and getting my products to use.
Speaker 5: While still that's such an invasion.
Speaker 4: My other housemates suggested that we put nair in the shampoo, but I just didn't have the guts to do that. Hindsight would have made for a really good story, but decided probably not the most ethical thing to do. She also, I don't know how much you want to know about this housemate everything. Yeah, okay, so she didn't like doing her washing, and when we were out of washing powder, and when I say out of washing powder, it was sitten in one of my other housemates' rooms. Because we were so sick of the fact that she wouldn't do it, she started taking my underwear.
Speaker 5: I actually have heard about this housemates boy, I remember that, I remember this.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so she took my underwear. And then one weekend you're going to remember this part two. I was quite young at university and I would go home on the weekends because I had a job back where I used to live with my parents, and I'd work there Friday, Saturday, Sunday and then come back up for UNI during the week right, So I went home one weekend and came back on the Sunday night to find out that all of the pre made meals my mom had mate all of the meat that my mum had like organized me because she would give me, like, you know, if there was an extra chicken breast or something, she put in a ziploc bag and I'd take her home and put in my freezer, right, and I feel like that's such a month thing. But this housemate had thrown it out because she decided to go vegan.
Speaker 2: I don't want any meat products in the house. And so like my mom.
Speaker 4: Had made like you know, single serves of Bolonni's and single serves of like her favorite was like curried sausages, and I was obsessed. I'm still obsessed with curried sausages. But she literally threw out all of my meals that my mom had crept for me and organized, and thinks that I had been freezing because, as you know, as a poor UNI student, chicken's expensive. So if your mom gives you a chicken, I'm going to freeze that and use that later for a stir fry.
Speaker 5: That's like gold.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 4: She threw it all out. I was so seasy, so mean, and then she acted like I was the problem, oh, because you're a meat eater. Yeah, and it made her uncomfortable thinking about how many dead animals were in her fridge at night. Oh no, crazy jokes on me. I'm now so story so or it did work, it works, but we're not going to give her that. Back to this, a few people are just saying you need to make sure that you bring it up and just have a conversation, which seems to be the underlying conversation here. And then two other people have suggested a monthly kitty for shared household items, So do a budget and work out how much per month you're spending on shared household items and then split it. They've done this over a couple of messages. So they've said you can even include things like balsamic vinegar and oil and butter and shared items, which I think is quite quite smart. But I think the problem with that from my perspective is some months you do need to go buy a sum new balsamic vinegar and oil, and that's kind of expensive, right, well, it's oil like twelve bucks a bottle or something at the moment, But then some months you won't have to, so like, do you put the same eating each month? And then is that I don't know. I just I find managing money with other people who are not your partner incredibly challenging.
Speaker 5: It relies on you having a really good relationship with those people. I think as well, because if I think back on some of my living situations, what might have started out really well got more strained over time, particularly in situations like this where one person wasn't pulling their weight. By the end of it, I feel like everything's not rosy. I don't want to sit down and work out a budget for you. Figure it out yourself, Like I don't want to be pulling your weight, and I'm kissed off because you're not pulling your weight. Why would I then go and budget for you when you're probably not even going to pay for it.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's some level of give and take as well here. So if you're a bit like you know, Jess and I I don't want to do somebody else's budget, you're right, yeah, But like if I felt that you and I were living together and you bought some things and I bought some other things and it just felt fair, I just don't think I would. It's kind of like sometimes I'll grab the coffee, sometimes you grab the coffee, but you also know that I'm going to grab the coffee next time, because like in my head, I know that, do you know what I mean. It's kind of like this idea that all right, well just bought the oil, I owe her one like, and I feel.
Speaker 2: Like that's the right approach to it.
Speaker 4: But then there are some crazy housemates who are like, yeah, you owly fifty one dollars and forty eight cents and you're like, forty eight cents doesn't even exist anymore, babe, why did you get this now? So I just it's a struggle. But I think that you need to find the flow, and the best way to do that is with a really good conversation at the start of your living arrangement.
Speaker 5: And for whoever already in we know you're already living together, have the conversation now it's awkward, buck up, It'll be way easier for you in the long term.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I feel like, be confrontational about it, like not aggressive and rude, but don't leave passive notes out. Don't leave a passive group chat message as you're leaving the house. Actually, just be like, hey, we need to have a chat, and have that conversation, and yes, you're right. Sometimes it's easier to just drop, hey, you owe me X for X in a group chat. But how about we set the expectations in person, because that's when things get petty and aggressive and it just blows out of proportion. Amen, No passive aggressive notes at my ex vegan housemate who throughout all my meat and used to leave passive aggressive notes on everything I own. I wan't know who this is to see. I'll show you later. Okay, all right, but guys, I think that's all we have time for today, so we will see you next week. Have a good weekend, friends, Have a good weekend. Bye bye, guys. Did buy shared?
Speaker 1: Or?
Speaker 4: She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 3: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 4: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight, AFSL four five one two eight nine