Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money the pod Castle Millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money dories where I get the absolute pleasure of sitting down with one of us She's on the Money community members and talking all about their money story. Let's jump straight into it, because this week I got an email and it sounded exactly like this, Dear, She's on the Money team. Growing up in a single parent household, I learned the value of hard work and resourcefulness early on. My mom and I were always finding ways to stretch our money, and that scrappy mindset has stayed with me throughout my life, from selling loom bands at the corner store to fund my treats as a kid to starting a beauty salon with my mum at seventeen while I was still in high school. I've always had a hustler's spirit, and that entrepreneurial drive has guided me through various business ventures and into my current career. Now I'm balancing a demanding full time job while studying for a Bachelor of Business. I've recently bought my first home, and I'm just about to turn twenty one. Money does? What the hell?
Speaker 2: Hello? It sounds pretty cool to listen back to that, I must say.
Speaker 4: Are you for real? I thought you were about to be like and I'm just about to turn sixty five? Like, be for real? You've achieved so much and also blast from the past. Loom bracelets, right, I know?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I reckon. I've got one somewhere like hidden in the back of a jewelry box that I couldn't let go of. How much did you sell those for?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: What's a loomband go for?
Speaker 2: Surely fifty cents?
Speaker 4: I can't remember, but not not nearly enough to justify the amount of energy that goes into those No way.
Speaker 2: That was definitely passion project for sure.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. All right, well, let's dive into a money diary. As always, my first cab off the rankers money doarist. If I asked you to give yourself a money grade from A through to F, what would that money grade be?
Speaker 2: Had to think about this. I've been a long time listener and I'm going to have to go with a solid be a solid bee.
Speaker 4: All right, let's learn more about that. My favorite question money deres. Can you tell me a little bit more about your money story?
Speaker 2: Yes? So, I would say that my attitude towards money has always been quite conscious. I've always been quite conscious and calculated with money, and for the most part, I probably had a positive relationship with money. But I guess on the contrary to that is that I grew up with probably what I needed, but not an abundance of money, so it was always borrowed from Peter to give to Paul, and that's probably transformed into my life now. From a scarcity mindset point of view, I think I'm very I wouldn't say obsessive, but very conscious of money is probably the best word. So I'm always worried if it's going to come, if it's going to go, and having enough money to pay my bills a thought on my mind. And I guess you could say it's a negative mindset.
Speaker 4: And you still think you have a negative mindset.
Speaker 2: No, it's quite positive, but I think maybe a negative scenario has influenced where my mindset is now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I feel like that makes a lot of sense. That's part of our money story, right Like, and for us to understand where we are today, we need to understand where we've come from and maybe why we have certain feelings and thoughts and behaviors around money. Because right now you're clearly doing well, Like I'm really excited to learn more, but you've just bought your own house and like that's so exciting, But you're also like, oh, I still have this like scrappy mindset, and like I'm often really worried about money, even though maybe that's not if we looked at it on paper, Yeah, yeah, that's not the reality, but it's also something that still stresses you out because inherently you know that has happened historically, right, Yeah, so I want to know more. Right now, you have a full time job and you're studying, but what do you do for work and how much money do you earn?
Speaker 2: I am a human resource manager and at the moment, I earn one hundred and fifteen thousand dollars plus super and I also have a company vehicle and fuel card as well, and then two side hustles. You could you could say, so.
Speaker 4: Can we just twenty one? Twenty one? Are you sure you're not lying about your age? I mean I can see you. You definitely look twenty one, but you're earning one hundred and fifteen one thousand dollars plus super plus car plus two businesses.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, math.
Speaker 4: Isn't mathing where it were? You like you will to be the oldest soul in the entire universe.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I feel like that, and it's it's my age is actually something that I'd say I'm quite conscious of, particularly with the you know, negative connotations that come around being a young person in a position of with a position of responsibility but also a level of authority as well. I think it's something I try and hide, and it's something when I talk about my age and how much I am and I don't really but when I do, it's it's definitely one of those things where I go, are people going to think that I'm lying? And I have to kind of give myself a fact check where I'm like, no, you've done.
Speaker 4: That, Yeah, one hundred percent you have. I just am so impressed. I think that mine's not coming from a question of authority, more like, wow, girl, get it, Like that's so sick, share with us, how do we do this?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, no, I understand. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I do really resonate with that though, because as somebody who started my business at twenty three, that is exactly how I felt like. I always felt like the youngest in the room and maybe not worthy of being there or you know, not smart enough or not experienced enough, or you know, not something enough. As always yes, and that does make you question whether you're sitting in the right room doing the right things and you are where you're meant to be.
Speaker 2: Yes, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Times you question yourself. And that just reminded me that I definitely went through that, and I think it's only since I've joined my thirties that I'm really like, no, no, I'm exactly where I need to be. And often people are still surprised when I say, oh, no, I've been in this industry for ten plus years. They're like wait what yeah, Or I've been a business owner for this long and they're like hold on, like how And I think that that's good for me, But it's taken a long time for that to settle in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to get to that and to have the boundaries and the ownership of it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So tell me about these two business side hustles. What are they, what type of cash hol or do they make you?
Speaker 2: So the longer standing one would be so I do beauty to alashic sessions and brows on the side. That's one of the businesses that I had studied for and started when I was in high school. And i've kind of you never stopped doing it, right you say, I'll give it up, I'll stop doing it, I'll get a full time job, and I'll stop doing it, But you never truly do. And I still continue to do that, but in a reduced capacity. So I do one Saturday every month, one every three weeks, and that's eyelash extensions and eyebrows, as I said, and that probably brings in last financial year was about ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Wow for one day a month of work. Be for real, that's very nice.
Speaker 2: Some months only works out to be two Saturdays in the month if I'm doing three weekly, but one Saturday month sounds better. When I'm managing my life.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm someone who gets their lashes and brows done religiously every three weeks. That would work for me. So do you just have a consistent role of like clients who just come every three weeks for their lash refill or their extensions and go from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Literally, when I decided to do that, I kind of put a you know, who wants morning, who wants afternoon? And I had to reduce obviously my SKO clients people, so I picked my top five if I can say that. Yeah, they're just all on a rotating basis now. So they just pre booked and they know, like they can plan their lives. They're like, right, every three weeks is my lashness. I'm not going on.
Speaker 4: But if you don't make it, we're not doing a makeup one. Sorry about that?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, literally, I'm like, sorry, you gotta wait six weeks then?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh my gosh, all right, so that brings in another ten grand a year. What's your second side hustle?
Speaker 2: The second one is only quite recent, but I started doing disability support work on a Saturday for one of my mom's clients. So yeah, that's kind of infrequent and when she needs the support. But that has only been in this financial year, so I'm not really positive on what it would bring in in a year capacity, but it's it's just a little bit extra.
Speaker 4: So what type of extra is that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: If we said that you do like maybe one Saturday a month, how much do you expect to get paid for that Saturday.
Speaker 2: I don't have good kind of numbers to work off one Saturday. I earned nine hundred and oh my good dollars because it's Saturday rate right.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, for nine hundred and fifty bucks, I'm there. I'm there for eight and.
Speaker 2: A half hours though.
Speaker 4: That's just that's a normal day's work. Yeah, pretty goodol, Oh my god, I'm not mad about that. So that could potentially let's say that you do like that once a month. That's about the same as your lash and brow business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, it is. I don't think I'll be doing like that many hours again, but even four hundred dollars a month maybe, but it all goes towards a little extra purpose.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like that's really nourishing work as well. It is being able to help, Like I just I feel like I'd get a lot out of that. So I'm glad that you get to do that. So you've just bought your first house. You're doing all of this work, Like, I'm very impressed thus far. Tell me, what are your current big money goals? You bought the house, so what's next? What are we working towards?
Speaker 2: You already sound like you know me. I can't stop. What's next?
Speaker 4: That's me though, like cut paste. I mean, I definitely didn't do it this successfully, this young, but I'm like, she's me. I am her.
Speaker 2: It's actually funny because my friends always say that I remind them of you, or vice versa.
Speaker 4: I already know that we'd get along really well. Yes, if you were in the same state as me, even though there's literally more than ten years difference between the two of us, I feel like we'd get along very well.
Speaker 2: We will, definitely, But my upcoming big money goals is obviously to one continue paying down the mortgage. When I can see how much of our monthly repayment is going towards interest, it's very sad, So continue snatching that down as much as we can. But also I really want to start consciously making an effort into investing. So one thing that you've always said that is stuck with me is that the second best thing to timing the market is time in the market. And I think it.
Speaker 4: Going to work for me. Like you would be a great advocate, like cut paste perfect. You're really well spoken. I think you'd be great on a podcast. If you ever want to be on the show, let me know.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. You should actually hear me in my day to day life. I'm like, have you listened to shoes on the morney? Have you heard of them? Listened to them? Learn? Oh?
Speaker 4: I love this, but a conscious effort to invest, Oh my god, you're twenty one, Like, oh, you could invest and have so much time ahead of you, like you are where every single one of our listeners wants to be.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think that's on the plus side for me is that I have the time. But for me, up until buying the house, my biggest priority was always to have as much money in my bank account so that I could buy the property. So now that I've got it, I want to start. Yes, just having a reoccurring deduction, even if it's two hundred dollars a month, you know, you start small and just see that money go out and be working towards something. And last money goal immediately working towards is I'm actually going to Europe in October.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, exciting whereabouts in Europe? You're going?
Speaker 2: It's actually a work so they do pay for me to go. But yeah, yes, we have international hr days because it's a global business that I work for.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, I'll head to Belgium okay, nice for some yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I will take two weeks off annual league while i'm over there. So I'm planning to do London, Paris, Amsterdam and then on the way back spend the night in Dubai so that I can see as much as possible within the two weeks.
Speaker 4: So, oh my gosh, I've got so many recommendations for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have just gotten back from London and pass like I will send all of my favorite ones and all my money tips and tricks.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 4: I feel like you love it. I feel like your business is shooting themselves in the foot, though, because by having an international HR day, who in your team is not taking two weeks off at exactly the same time? Right, They're going to lose half their workforce by taking them overseas because I'm not going over season, They're not making the most of it. Like everybody is out.
Speaker 2: Only I guess regional people or department responsible people will go though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so all that the big dogs are out of the office at the same time. I like that. I mean that's their problem, not ours, babe. That is a them problem. They need to deal with that. Yes, all right, let's go to a really quick break before I get further off track. And on the flip side, I want to ask you more perfect questions. I'm going to ask you how much you spent on your house. I'm going to be asking about your investment plans. I want to know about your total debt and best and worst money habits, So guys, don't go anywhere money diarist. We are back, and I am very excited about this episode. I feel like you are so young and have achieved so much. It's arguably very unrelatable, but I think we can learn a lot from you. So diving straight back in, you mentioned before that you want to consciously start investing because you know that time is on your side and the second best thing to timing the market is time in the market. So what progress have you made towards that goal? What are your thoughts around this? How are you going to invest? What does that look like?
Speaker 2: So? I currently have one thousand dollars invested in ETFs, So I just have two. I used to work for a tech company and it kind of made me realize how much development in that space is still yet to come. So I invest split between the ASX top two hundred and also between I think it's the top one hundred tech companies as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, that is.
Speaker 2: Where I'm currently sitting in with that one thousand dollars, and I think, to be honest, I will continue to invest into those two more so prioritizing the top two hundred ASX because historically, over one hundred years, it's still positively gone on the upward trajectories.
Speaker 4: You're going to be a financial advisor next, I just know it.
Speaker 2: It's actually not so funny you say that, because I almost added financial planning to my degree as a second major, but they weren't compatible with HR management. But I am definitely interested in that space.
Speaker 4: I mean, I did psychology and ended up here. It's a slippery slope one so you start caring about money. True, True, you go completely off track and you end up a financial advisor. Worst you could become a mortgage brokup. My god, but it is so fun. I want to know more about this investing journey though, because over the weekend I was actually talking to someone on Instagram and they were messaging me and going, hey, v oh my gosh, I'm really struggling, like I'm picking a platform this weekend. I'm going to be investing. Obviously, I can't give advice, so it's just having a chat and being like, okay, well have you thought about, you know, maybe doing some more googling? And I wish I could dive in and be like, this is my recommendation, this is how this works. But even if I had that, it might not fit. So not ethical. But I want to note you've obviously put your thinking hat on. You've invested into ETFs, which means you've got even more diversification than just one ETF. You've picked a top two hundred one and like a tech one. What about platforms, Like when you were going I want to invest, what did that look like.
Speaker 2: I am still currently but I was with Comwealth Bank and so at the time, I just decided to go with Comseck. I know that the trading fees were a little bit higher, but I decided to go with comsex. So that is the platform that I'm currently in. I also use I don't know if I mentioned, but I have five hundred dollars in crypto, so I use bitcoin.
Speaker 4: Oh no you didn't. How cool?
Speaker 2: Yep, controversial, but yeah, I have five hundred dollars and invested into coinspot as well. And I guess for me it was totally more convenience. I had heard of, you know, Chaersea's and Vanguard and that type of stuff, But for me, I was already with Combank and they just literally deducted it out of one of the bank accounts that I had set up already, so it was easy for me.
Speaker 4: It makes sense, and it's actually just about what you're most comfortable with the end of the day. Obviously, there are a million different platforms that you could choose from, and it's like I don't care what platform you're on, as long as you like it, it makes sense to you, it's got user like features that make sense to you, and you're actually investing. I could not care less. So it's more I want to know what are you using, because I think a lot of us listen to these episodes and we're like, oh, she said, she invests, but like where, when? Why?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 4: Like how did she get there? Because so many of us get that like analysis paralysis at the start of well do I do it? Well, I just looked at comseck. I listened to that money direst she said. She was like, oh, maybe that's not for me. And then you're weighing up all your options. Did you get analysis paralysis at the start of your investing journey? Like how long did it take before you said I think I'll invest to actually pulling the trigger?
Speaker 2: Definitely, And I still feel as though I'm somewhat actually in that analysis paralysis, And that's why I haven't dedicated a portion of my monthly say things towards investing. Yeah, in the beginning, I definitely did, but I was just started with what I was comfortable with losing, because at the end of the days is still a risk. So at that time five hundred dollars. Whilst it would be sad to see.
Speaker 4: It go, it not be the end of the world for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly want to be the end of the world. And one last password to remember. To be honest, I can't remember another password.
Speaker 4: Oh, don't start me own passwords. I've just downloaded last pass to keep track of all my passwords because at this point I just can't be trusted now I can't remember, So tell me more. We're going to jump into debt. Now you've mentioned that you bought your first home first, can you tell me a bit more about that journey. How does someone at twenty one buy their first home? Because I don't know if you know, but right now we're in the middle of a cost of living crisis and like everything's really expensive and interest rates her through the roof. How did you get together a deposit? What did that look like? And how did you purchase your first home?
Speaker 2: It's such a hard question when people ask me that it really takes so much thought. But I guess from the age of fourteen, I've had a job and I have probably always had that mindset of giving myself fifty dollars a week to spend and anything left over is say things. And truly, even from when I was earning one hundred dollars a week, I'd still give myself fifty dollars for fun, for whatever I was doing at fourteen, and the other fifty dollars would always be saved.
Speaker 4: So I have who taught you that? Who taught you that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: How did you have that self discipline?
Speaker 2: I don't know, and I don't know where it's come from, but I think tying back to when we first started having that scarcity mindset, I always wanted to have something left over, and the reason that I got my first job, I still it's a pivotal memory for me, is that I wanted to be able to put money on my go card so that my mom didn't have to worry about it.
Speaker 4: So you love that.
Speaker 2: That's probably a core memory that stuck with me. But in terms of how I got that mindset, I would say probably come from the scarcity mindset around it wanting to have back up in case I needed to give it to my mom or in case I had a bill that was unexpected. I don't know what bills I'm having it four, but that.
Speaker 4: You might, but that's stressful, and you probably saw your mum have unexpected bills and you were like, well, I don't want to be in that position. And I know that the answer to that is actually having cash available, so I'm going to do that.
Speaker 2: Yes percent, So then yeah, I just continued to save, and that transformed into the more that I owned, the more that I saved. And probably you know, a good habit that I do have is the less outgoing, the better. So even every year now, I still review how much I'm paying for insurance or my phone bill, and the most that I can reduce that buy is better. No matter how much I earn, I want minimal expenses because then the money leftover I can do whatever I want.
Speaker 4: I love that, So tell me more about this property. What did you save for a deposit, what did you purchase for and what's your current debt.
Speaker 2: I actually used one of the first home buyers schemes. I know you'll be happy.
Speaker 4: So smart. Oh, I love that. I love that. I was talking about it yesterday at work, like there's a few schemes at the moment that we've got a couple of clients, like doubling up on and I'm like, this is great, Like it's like it just feels like the biggest hack in the world.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, especially the free stamp duty for first home buyers now in Queen Zone under seven fifty that we just missed out on. So I think in total, yes, we use the five percent deposit government guaranteur scheme because for us, location mattered and I knew that we'd need to purchase a home that required work, so I wanted to keep some of our savings in reserve so that we can do up the house. And my partner is a carpenter, so he can also do the reinose. So how good. Yeah, I think in total with the stamp duty, I think it was about fifty just over fifty thousand dollars we were required for our deposit there, and we ended up purchasing. Initially we offered six eighty five, but then we're able to do a little bit of negotiations. I put my big girl pants on and knocked it down to six sixty after building in pest, So that's the final price that we paid.
Speaker 4: So you purchased for six sixty. What's your mortgage currently sitting at and how long have you had it for it.
Speaker 2: Is currently sitting at just over six hundred thousand, and we've had it since April.
Speaker 4: Oh, very nice. And how does that feel when interest rates are arguably a lot higher than they used to be? I mean, thankfully you probably purchased when the interest rates were much higher than you know, one or two percent, so it wasn't as rude of a shock. But how now you're paying a mortgage? Are you managing pretty good?
Speaker 2: I mean with an offset that we now have attached to our mortgage. For me, I thought, if I'm buying at the top of the peak, or if I if I'm buying where interest rates are quite high, then if they ever come down, then it will just be positive money that we can be adding towards paying down the mortgage. So it is scary, like seeing how much money goes out every week and you think, oh my god, is it really one thousand dollars a week in repayments? But I know that, yes, something has to changed. Well I believe that something has to change, and hopefully it won't be like that for the whole next thirty years of our lone life. But yeah, we manage.
Speaker 4: It's crazy, right, all right? Well, I'm honestly so shook this far, Like I just feel like you have made the most of it. Like, first question, before I get to my structured question, what's your mum think of this? Like is she just like super proud because coming from a single parent household and knowing the money story of most single parents, like it's bloody hard, Like you're cutting your teeth, you're working extra hours, you're doing the most to put your kid in the best possible position, and like so many times you see single mums doubting themselves and feeling like they're not doing the right thing because the kid didn't have, you know, the shiniest thing at school and all the other kids had that, and you just I can see that mums crucify themselves over this, but you've kind of like come through this. How's your mom feel now about all of this? Because like if I was your mum, holy moly, I'd be so proud.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It's actually funny. I had told my mom that I'm coming onto this podcast, and I'm like, oh, but you know, they might not believe me, Like it sounds pretty wild when I say all this stuff back and she's like, no, you did this you own it. You literally are the one who worked for it. No one handed you anything. So she is super proud. And she always says that I've raised a savage and you know that. Actually, yes, yeah, so no, she is super proud. And I do owe you know, a lot of it to her in fostering I guess my mindset from the beginning. She would obviously sit out the front whilst I sold the loom bands and whatever crazy idea that I had. I think I even sold ear rings like I made ear rings from eBay. I used to glue the backs onto the little rose and sell them at her salar.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I love that she really fostered that mindset, and I think that's a lot of I've transformed to continue to have that mindset. Now, she could have very easily probably squashed that mindset and said no, don't be ridiculous, and I would have been a lot more confined. So yeah, I have a lot of empathy and I owe a lot of it to her. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love that. I hope she listens to this, and here's to hi mum. Also, while you're here, can you send me all your parenting tips, because I too would like to raise a savage like that's that's where my mindset is at right now. I'll take all the tips, all the tricks, thank you, and spy, I have to ask your daughter some more questions. Now, money Diarist back to you. What's your best money habit?
Speaker 2: I would say probably that I'm naturally drawn to the cheapest price, which is not always good. But I'm naturally drawn to the sale sticker or the items that are on sale. I mean, every Monday six pm, Woollies releases the catalog for the specials for the following.
Speaker 4: Week, and I show, Oh my gosh, you even know the time. I'm obsessed with you. It's my I would do you know what I read them? Wouldn't be able to tell you when they come out, Like, so you're telling me six pm on a Friday? Is that right?
Speaker 2: On a Monday?
Speaker 4: Sorry? Six pm on a Monday? All right, I'm going to put it in my diary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then the specials begin from the Wednesday, so you've got a bit of time to protect you.
Speaker 4: Spend time to make your budget yep, yep, and shop online.
Speaker 2: Use the Woolies app because you can see how much you're spending, whereas when you go into the shop, you just chuck stuff into your cart and then you're like me two hundred bucks later, so oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: So do you then see all the specials on a Monday and go all right, well, I can see the beef's on sale, like I'm going to make beef dishes this week? Is that what happens? And then if you've got like a repertoire of recipe, like how does this work? And how are you twenty one?
Speaker 2: Again? What what I do is we cook dinners at home Sunday through to Thursday, and I plan all of the meals based on what's on sale. So I like a certain butter chicken, so if it's half priced, we're having a pot of chicken for the week.
Speaker 4: And it's right, buy.
Speaker 2: Your chicken breast from the deli, not in the package section, because it's ten dollars eleven dollars a kilo, not seventeen dollars kio.
Speaker 4: So what is that the price difference?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For really, yeah, it's like eleven dollars for chicken breast at the deli. I kind of wash it because it looks a little bit, you know, slimy, But that's so controversial.
Speaker 4: Actually, I feel like I was having this conversation with a friend the other day and I always wash my meat like I'd like, rinse my chicken. I don't rinse steak funnily enough, but I rinse my chicken and all my seafood.
Speaker 2: I do that. I do the same.
Speaker 4: And she was like, why do you do that? Like you're cooking it anyway, and I'm like, nop, nop, that slimy stuff got to go make.
Speaker 2: Them feel better. Yeah, one hundred percent. So yeah, probably just that I have always been money concious. Even when I go out for dinner, I don't get a drink, not because I'm depriving myself of being thirsty, but because I don't need the coke, I don't need the whatever. I'll just have the tablewoader. It's all good.
Speaker 4: So yeah, she's savvy.
Speaker 2: Savvy.
Speaker 4: That's my god, savvy. I love it. It's really specific too, like it's not it's like, all right, so Monday like money habit. People are usually like less specific. They're like, I'm pretty good at budgeting and I go, okay, cool, and you're like no, no, no, So my best budgeting hack is at six pm on mondays, the Woolies Catalog comes out, and you can then budget so that Wednesday you purchase your groceries and you are done. You're an icon. I know that other people are going to start doing this. I love this.
Speaker 2: I hope that it helps someone.
Speaker 4: You're a genius.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: Now tell me your worst money have Do you even have worst money habits?
Speaker 2: I do? I do. And the one thing that I'm super conscious of is probably sometimes I get into this yolo mindset. I'm like, yeah, I work really hard, and I you know, I work hard for my money, and I save a lot of money every month, and sometimes I deserve it. Let's just buy a jet ski. And so I've owned two jet skis and I still have one.
Speaker 4: Sorry what I did not see? Sorry? Sorry, sorry, sorry, just a backtrack. We were just talking about how good you were at the Woolies Catalog and then you're like, jet skis.
Speaker 2: What? Yeah, oh gosh, it's pretty funny.
Speaker 4: Do you ride these jet ski Like? Please tell me how this fits into your lifestyle? Do you live by the water, Like, tell me more.
Speaker 2: I do. I do. I live like five minutes from the water, So yeah, I do. I do ride them. Well, during summer, but I'm actually selling it. I buy them, I have some fun, and then I sell them to They don't go down because it's definitely not an asset. They cost a lot of money, but it's fun. So this is what I mean by these yolo mindsets. I go, ah, it's all.
Speaker 4: Great, okay, So tell me more about this jet ski. I need to know. I don't even know what a jet ski costs, what's a jet ski class, how does it work? How much does it cost you to run? Tell me all of it and how often do you even use this? Because at the start of this episode, you're earning one hundred and fifteen thousand dollars plus super plus a car, plus you have a beauty business, plus you do disability support work. When a you're riding this jet ski bag.
Speaker 2: Well, that's my problem is I get into this mindset. I'm like, yeah, well then I go every Sunday and then Sunday comes around and I'm busy. So a jetski it depends, like you know, you can get a brand new one for twenty five thousand dollars, but I'll just get my Facebook marketplace and I think I got it for like thirteen thousand, the most recent one, and I hope to sell it for the same, okay, but in summer, so I'm holding it until summer because that's when they're worth more. Right now, people don't want to buy jetskis because it's winter.
Speaker 4: Okay. She's an investing icon. She she knows how to invest in money.
Speaker 2: It's just sitting there at the moment in the yard.
Speaker 4: You're a jet ski flipper, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, my first time that I've ever owned. I sold for five hundred dollars more than I bought it for.
Speaker 4: So okay, so you got paid to go riding jet ski basically, not just petrol cost in a jet ski.
Speaker 2: It's probably like I put fifty dollars in, or like I'll fill up the tank before I go out every time close. If I get stuck in the ocean, I need a full tank, So probably fifty dollars. So that's what I mean is it's not it's not very smart financially though, to fill it up every week fifty bucks, and then if you get insurance.
Speaker 4: All I do the same. There's absolutely no chance that I would be riding a jet ski that didn't have a full tank like I'm in the ocean, Like, no one's going to drive past and be like, do you need a lift?
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly right? And then yeah, if you have insurance on them, it's like three hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 4: Wait, what three hundred dollars a month? Three insurance on a jet ski.
Speaker 2: Because of how many accidents happen on them in the water.
Speaker 4: Wow, So tell me about this. So we're holding our jet ski, We're going to sell it coming into summer. Yes, that's quite smart. Would you buy another jet ski?
Speaker 2: No? No, I need to keep that money in our offset and be working hard for me because this interest that I'm paying every month is very sad of me.
Speaker 4: What are you going to do instead of jet ski? Because I feel like you've got this like adventurous spirit, You're going to need some kind of outlet. What's that going to be?
Speaker 2: I don't really use it now? Okay, Yeah, so I kind of feel like I'll be all right. I just go for go to the gym, get a coffee, go for a walk, climb a mountain instead, maybe swim in the ocean instead of ride on the ocean.
Speaker 4: See, this is a really good example of how you can never predict someone's worst or best money habits or what's going to come out, because had we tried to play a game of guessing, we would have been wildly inaccurate. Yes, yes, and I guess that's why I love money doughs. Okay, So at the start of the episode, you told us that your money grade was a solid Bee. Now I'd probably argue with that because in my mind, you're still twenty one and you are killing it at life. But I want to know a bit more about why you think you're a bee and what it might take to get you to an a play.
Speaker 2: It's probably still this frivolous or like yolo mindset that I keep referring to. Is sometimes I go, ah, I need some new running shoes, let's just do it. I have implemented a system that I have just done, but hopefully that will help in aiding me to have more just a little bit of barriers around that. So the money that I earn from lashes, I get it out into cash and I have one of those cash books, and they each have a different purpose. So one's like shopping and one's like beauty or miscellaneous or whatever. One of them is also yeah, miscellaneous because I'm paid monthly, but some months there's five weeks or there's an extra Wednesday, and I'm paid on the last Wednesday every month, and then I put money away for that. So I think it's budget based on four weeks. Makes it feel like I'm saving more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's fair. What's your budgeting system look like right now for.
Speaker 2: The side hustle money or including.
Speaker 4: Everything everything okay? Or if you've got separate budgets for each income I do? Is that what I'm hearing? Right? So tell me more about this.
Speaker 2: So the beauty money as well as the disability support money, when it does come through, I get it out some people paying cash, but if not, I get it all out in cash, and I put it into this little book, so I will divide it between ones for investing, ones for shopping, and that way, when I want to shop, if I don't have money in my little pouch, I can't go shopping. Instead of developing this frivolous oh, I don't put money away for shopping, I've started to do that and that that way, that money feels like it's working towards something fun, not paying for bills, and then my normal salary can be well, obviously, Yeah, I send a certain amount to my bill's account, and that's purely because I don't want them coming out of my offset account, just a way to help me feel better like I'm still managing my money. I know that the more money in there the better, and then the rest.
Speaker 4: No, that makes sense. We've also got to have like a healthy mind set around our money, and if it's stressing us, it's not worth it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's right. And I'm like the extra few dollars of interest that I might have saved for the sanity that it gives me to make me feel in control of my money. I'll let it be now.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you know this or you need to talk to your broker about this, but if you currently have an offset, there is a very high chance that you're allowed multiple offsets, So you might be able to establish a few more offsets so that you can still separate your business and not feel too bad. But you're still making the most of the interest, but it is segregated and it doesn't feel like it's coming out of your quote savings account. But while it's sitting there, it's still offsetting your interest, So that might be something that you ask your broker about gotch because that might be really sexy.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think we do.
Speaker 4: You still want it separate, and I totally get that.
Speaker 2: I still want it separate, but I think we may. We did speak about this, and we have to split the loan in order to have two offsets, or you pay extra fees for a second offset.
Speaker 4: Oh no, thank you. In that case, I'll depart with that.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, I get to certain amount to the bills and then literally the rest just goes to offset the interest and we live off the credit card and then we pay it. So that's very new though, that's very different to how I used to manage my money. That we used to have a credit card, but now I've kind of done that for the points hacking as well to get a few holidays.
Speaker 4: Smart woman, Ann, are you responsible with your credit card?
Speaker 2: I am?
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 2: You actually live in the back of my mind when I think about it.
Speaker 4: Because you're like Victoria wouldn't be smart with this. I can be better than her.
Speaker 2: She tells me.
Speaker 4: Don't tap, tap tap, no tapping, no tapping. Research tells us that people who have credit cards spend twenty two percent more than people who use a debit card. Oh my, that's terrified, So no, tappy, tappy.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no, no.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, money, Dirice. This has been an absolute pleasure. I feel like I've learned so much from knowing how to get the cheapest price by looking out for the Woollies catalog on a Monday and going shopping on a Wednesday, to how to impulse purchase jet skis responsibly. This has been a ride. I've loved it. Sadly, it is all we have time for today, so I'm really grateful that you've shared I guess all of this with us. It's so inspiring to see someone so young doing so well, and it just makes me so happy. Future is looking brut I'm really excited for you and your partner, and I'm just so excited that you've gotten here, So congrats on the first home and everything that you've achieved thus far. I can't wait till, hopefully in a few years tap you on the shoulder and ask to do an updated money diary. So let's wait out for that.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me, and I really do hope that this can give someone a little bit of inspiration and that I can listen to this in ten years time and go who was she? Where is she now?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I love it. Thank you so much. It has been a pleasure. Bid By shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 5: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 4: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 5: Victoria Divine and Sheese on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Sherpa Pty Ltd a BN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine