Speaker 1: iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart.
Speaker 1: App Got anything good?
Speaker 2: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: So other than the Grand Final? What else on the long weekend? Is there to watch, stream or read? Double thumbs up? We know we do on a Friday. We're obviously not here. Tomorrow will be on to celebrate the carnival. Have we got that? Have we got our float ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We're pole position number one. We're leading it, aren't we? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And that in fatal boombox? Can of wait?
Speaker 2: Guys don't be together their early avoid disappointment if you missed us.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we normally do some on a Friday. Double thumbs up.
Speaker 2: We go around the team, we talk about things were into at the moment. For me, the big thing I cannot recommend enough. I've seen the whole series. It's the penultimate one. It starts this week. Slow Horses is back on the Breakout Show. So last years the novels are fantastic. You've got Gary Oldman, who's an Oscar winning actor, as Jackson Lamb, the smartest guy in the room. And the most slovenly dressed one as well. It's a very vague. This season is brilliance, the penultimate one. There's only going to be two more. They film them more or less back to bat because it's become so big. You'll find that on Apple TV. But this new series of Slow Horses is outstanding.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 2: I can't say this about the next recommendation because I'm only one half episodes in and my wife dropped out after episode one accusing of being bleak and miserable. She's right, but I'm still sticking with it. Because he's got two heavyweights.
Speaker 1: It's back Rabbit.
Speaker 2: You've probably seen it every time we turn on Netflix's Heavy Trail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's got two heavyweights.
Speaker 2: You've got Jason Bateman, who's an amazing actor, and on that brilliant podcast one while it's funniest podcast SmartLess as well, And.
Speaker 1: They've got Jude Law. You know what you like? Law? Is he from? Actually when Jude Law.
Speaker 2: He's still alive when it's only his fifties, the same age as us, which we still alive.
Speaker 1: What well, you don't need to get killed? Is they're not in movies anymore?
Speaker 2: Yes, and talented mister ripley yeh is a brilliant movie with him and the young Matt Damon. It's I'm still making my mind. I'm sticking with it. It's good enough. What's it about two brothers? Well, this is a bit where it gets weak. Would you watch the show? Two brothers used to be in a Nirvana grunge band, now run a restaurant.
Speaker 1: But guess what.
Speaker 2: There's a very hard working one and a shaky one who's into drugs. Have we seen this before so many times? And guess what? They used to run this restaurant together, but one of them has just sort of fallen by the wayside, leaving the hard working brother to run the restaurant alone. But the New York Times food critic is coming in tonight. It's got to be perfect. Guess who's come back after killing a guy? Dodgy brother? You got to be.
Speaker 4: It's like the Bear Meat Rat two.
Speaker 2: That's a timesas are and it is very miserable, really really bleak.
Speaker 1: It's really bleak. But I'm sticking with black grammar.
Speaker 2: It's not double thumbs up, it's half a thumb semi for now, Yeah, for now. It's a semi it's a thumbs up, but slow horses double thumbs up.
Speaker 1: That's great. Real what are you into at the moment?
Speaker 4: We are watching season four of Couples Therapy on SBS.
Speaker 1: It's a great show, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It's so good if you haven't watched it. It is couples that are sort of right on the brink of breaking up, usually married, and they go and see the most sought.
Speaker 2: After take us married people that I am. Gay people can get married to. Don't judge us. I've seen gay couple. I've seen gay couples on there. There's a lot of gay there are They struggle to the rainbows.
Speaker 1: Haven't got everything? You know, pretty doers have our problems.
Speaker 4: Well, actually, on this in season four, there's a poly couple, which means there are a thrapple poly polythrupple.
Speaker 5: So three people.
Speaker 1: So it's three people with three therapists. Just awner. But it is fascinating. I've never met even someone got excited.
Speaker 2: Then you have three three people hang on outputs, Oh my gosh, brave New worlds.
Speaker 4: But it's a dangerous show because you start bickering when you watch, Yes, is their fights become your fight. That's an assholes.
Speaker 1: You Oh you do that?
Speaker 4: I do not.
Speaker 1: You do that more than I do.
Speaker 2: You know they did with Google Watch. I'd love to see hear a podcast of us watching that show.
Speaker 1: We had to give up on it. It was creating tension in our marriage. That was okay, we haven't had those fights.
Speaker 4: Now we're somehow implanted into their flights and now we're fighting sometimes you.
Speaker 1: My wife wouldn't even go you do that, It'll just be this pause, what does that mean? The same the same, familiar.
Speaker 2: But it's actually a beautiful show into what it is to be in a relationship because you're in a nation. We took people, but there's other there's other parts of you, and mums and dads that get and all those different parts of you get triggered in any argument or tension. It's a fascinating relationship. And it might sound like somebody's airing they're sort of dirty in that. It's actually very i don't know, life affirming because when they have these breakthroughs and the therapists are amazing on there who get them to a better place, it's so emotional.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's never about the thing in the fight. It's always about something else. It's something from the child who is the way?
Speaker 2: You know that Rio is life, isn't it? In a relationship? Last night my wife had an argued. My wife and I had an argument for about twenty minutes at ten o'clock about a light switch and a minute and I said, why I don't think this is about the light switch?
Speaker 1: As she goes, what are idiots? Even this morning when I was getting up, I.
Speaker 2: Stroked the light switch again, going it was never about the light stitching. Still learning after twenty eight years of marriage. All right, we'll take a break. We come back with Alex and Pats's double thumbs up.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell show podcast. Today is a Friday, we all know it.
Speaker 2: Public Holiday tomorrow, Grand Final Weekends, People's playlist, It's coming up in half an hour's time, Small Thing, Big John, the way than at eight.
Speaker 1: You play the judge.
Speaker 2: You're picking you happen tous pick the winner for the Grand final of Pimp Up My Crib?
Speaker 1: Patsy, what are you into moment? What are you giving your double thumbs up to you? Mate?
Speaker 5: We've seen a great documentary Our Family of Three on Netflix's Unknown Number.
Speaker 1: The High School catfish.
Speaker 5: It's good, it's brilliant. It is absolutely shocking, and it is brilliant at the same time. If you have teenage kids, I recommend that you see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, post of mine I watching saying this is very good.
Speaker 5: It is fabulous. So it's about the story of a teenager in the US who is the victim of cyber bullying, and it follows the story follows through to revealing who it is, and you'll never guess who it is. It's absolutely shocking. It's a true life story all over TikTok.
Speaker 1: How I google that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I need to know who it was?
Speaker 1: Is it someone in the family.
Speaker 5: I can't say. I don't want it's no spoiler.
Speaker 2: I can't help but think of its big other than it being the Pope, you know, or Trump. I can't think of, Like, what's a real big twist. You're not telling me someone in the family.
Speaker 5: I'm not telling you anything.
Speaker 1: The microphone twice if it is.
Speaker 5: But it's just it's absolutely shocking. It's absolutely shocking, and I know my.
Speaker 2: Kids are catfishing me getting ready to do my documentary about that. Credit is which used to selling my my final speakers. We've sold this week you know guy who we hear from. Was it a bed or something or a table that someone brought a table of somebody and the dad was crying as it left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 2: This week came from my final speakers being with Anyway Patsy Catfish.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it's it's a brilliant show. It's a brilliant documentary, true life story and as as a mum of a teenager, it made me feel incredibly grateful that here in Australia we are about to introduce the under sixteenth social media ban elbows talking about it the UN just today in the afternoon session today, it made me think, wow, how lucky are we? How forward are we to be leading with these world first bands?
Speaker 1: And also do you enforce it? I think it's going to be.
Speaker 5: Very difficult, it is, but I love that we're doing something, we're trying to do something. And also thankful for our school who is so vigilant with phone us. In this documentary, it was shocking these kids are allowed to have their phones on their person at their school in Middle America all day and when they interviewed the principal and say well don't you think it'd be a good idea if you just banned phones from school, and it was almost like you'd asked him to turn himself inside out.
Speaker 1: He could not believe that it.
Speaker 5: Would even be suggested that kids.
Speaker 2: Isn't it just thinking about how many decades of school where those things didn't even exist? And it was distracting enough school You're staring out the window for half of it, zoning out. You know, we prayed for a phone with everything, every TV show, movie ever, all knowledge ever, constant videos twenty four to seven. We would prayed for that. It would have felt like some sci fi future, when was that going to be here? But and then the other thing is it's like, because it's as hidden life of teenagers now is their phones.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Number one concern that we have is social media, not so much as social group or her studies.
Speaker 1: It's totally birth social media. It's snapchat.
Speaker 5: So it feels for our vintage. I don't know about you, Christian, it feels so uncontrollable, like it's so foreign to us.
Speaker 1: It's terrifying. Watch the doco you will, I would actually, yeah, it is. Have you've seen Adolescence Pats?
Speaker 5: You know, we started watching it, but we want to watch it with odds, but yes, a similar sort of thing. Absolutely, just eye opening and essential viewing.
Speaker 2: I'd be really interesting after you watch it with already what conversations might open up. Because I didn't want to watch it when I found out what it was about as every parent's nightmare. Okay, it was just too bleak, but my daughter's actually said you need to watch it, so I watched it, and then afterwards it helped me actually realize with more empathy and understanding.
Speaker 1: What they've dealt with.
Speaker 2: And they start telling me stuff that they've been sent on their phones, and I was like, my god, we've got to go to the police. When there's no point dad, It's just like that conversation is over. It's just stuff that people now that snapchat because it can be deleted immediately, there's no evidence trail, and so it's like, you know, when we were all at school, if you had a bad day, you got home, that was your safe space.
Speaker 1: You shut the door and you were right.
Speaker 4: That was it.
Speaker 2: Now it's like the worst bullying is after school. It's not even if they don't have the phones during the day.
Speaker 1: It's what happens.
Speaker 2: It's far more insiduous and evil and it's ruining teenage lives. It's just driving up their isolation, you know, even though they think they're connected. And also we didn't know if we weren't invited out right in an evening all the week and you had no.
Speaker 1: Idea, blissfully ignorant.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now they're on Snapchat and they're deliberately being you know, they've been gas sit all this photos of them all having good time. It's heartbreak and they want to come down because as we as parents then will just blow our lids. Oh call on the parents, and it short circuits the conversation. It's like it ends the conversation because you just get to kind of fix it mode. They just want you to understand how they feel. But please watch adolescents, Yes we will. It's a great shot, Alex, what are you in? Two mate?
Speaker 1: This week? A bit of inspo.
Speaker 6: Tracy Holmes is one of the greatest sports journalists this country has ever produced, and she's written a book called The Eye of the dragon Fly. She's done Colm Games, she's done Olympic Games, She's interviewed the likes of Pele and Senna, Kathy Freeman among the names, and an inspiration to me she's been really she's a celebrated journalist and she's written this amazing book. It's really really inspiring, especially to the current generation of female sports journalists, you know, like the Kelly Underwoods, even the Beck Maddens, the Kate Massey's.
Speaker 1: Of the world.
Speaker 6: And she did it from very early on, like in the late eighties. She's marched into the ABC and said, we need to be doing more on women's sport, and she started this program called Women in Sport. It was fifteen minutes in nineteen eighty eight. She was laughed at, sneered at by all those you know, pipe smoking old journos that used to walk up and down the aisles of all those commercial and ABC stations as well. And so she's just gone from there to do what she now does. And I think it's amazing. I've got daughters, and if I have, you know, women in my life that want to go and pursue a career in journalism, I'm going to say to them, read this book. She is a trailblazer. And I think we have heard a thank for the amazing coverage we have now of all the amazing women's sport, like the ever used to be like this. All we had was really the women's cricket team. We had the Matilda's that'd been going since the late seventies, Matilda's. Now look at the coverage they have now, you don't have these amazing sporting teams without the amazing journalists and about the media really giving it the attention it deserves. There's still a long way to go, I think, especially with the AFLW, I think we need to give it more attention than it's getting at the moment, and we'll get there. You know, You've got some amazing plays the ash Centers of the world, the Daisy Pierces as well, So go and have a look at it. It's called the Eye of the Dragonfly and she goes right in, deep, riding deep to those sporting stories, which I really enjoy as well.
Speaker 1: Great, thank you. We've got the news sport coming up next. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast