Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Amazing scenes yesterday, Djokovic saying, can people who are dressed up as where's Wally?
Speaker 3: Get out? It's distracting for me who was going just us Where's Wally?
Speaker 2: And the other thing that happened there was a citizens arrest yesterday by one of the umpires.
Speaker 4: He got off the chair real knows more about it.
Speaker 5: Yes, at the end of the match, someone ran onto the court, grabbed one of I think it was Lee Zu's towel and tried to sprint away the chair. Umpire leaps down from his chair but they're very high chairs too, and chases him around the court and out of the out of the place. Ben Hill chase and apprehends him.
Speaker 3: What would in it like a citizen citizens arrest?
Speaker 5: And then they got the tower back?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So do we know what is the legality around a citizen's arrest?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: So I've printed this off that says the three essential elements of deforming a citizen?
Speaker 3: Right, So do you know what they are?
Speaker 4: Patsy, No, I need to be enlightened. Tell me, Jane, Well, it is such a funny. We all know that it exists, but it's not until now that I've actually thought what a bizarre.
Speaker 2: So that we can remember the citizens actually take the law into our own.
Speaker 4: Hands and just decide to arrest somebody. Yeah, okay. For number one, you must make it clear to the person that you're arresting them and the reason for the arrest. So if I'm arresting you in the street, I go, Christian, I'm arresting you because you've been driving a car that's unregistered. You are required to detain the person with reasonable force, not excessive force.
Speaker 3: Reasonable force sounds like a Steven Sigar movie.
Speaker 4: From an excessive force would be the sequel. And then the third one is, which is so confusing. The person must submit to your arrest. So does that mean they can just choose to go?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Has anyone actually placed someone under a citizen's arrest? Or selly, because it's an incredible thing. You hear about it and obviously happened yesterday, but we'd love to hear an eyewitness support of actually have, especially if someone actually did it.
Speaker 3: Ian ever made a citizens arrest?
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yes, Timble.
Speaker 3: Several like Dirty Harry, have you taken down Kenny?
Speaker 7: I've worked in the industry over the year security and I've made several in food goods. People stealing out of the brender's bridges, putting him in their backpack.
Speaker 2: This amazing food got take that dem sim out of there, get down.
Speaker 3: In one dim city of stolen. They're all stolen, you mongol. It's good to stop the track. Hi, I thank you very much.
Speaker 2: You call rocking this one Caroline ever made a citizens arrest.
Speaker 6: Well, not me personally, but many decades ago, when I was just fourteen years old, my father stopped a possible criminal in our backyard. Told my mother to ring the police, handed me a cricket bat said this this like makes a movie. You whack him for something?
Speaker 3: You where is deputy? I depretize you with the powers bestowed in me.
Speaker 6: As he as he tackled into the ground, an illicit substance fell out of his top pocket. The police then arrived. The copper took one look at the blokes and said, mate, what are you doing here? Put him in the put him in the back of the bed. As it turned out it was a copper's brother in law.
Speaker 3: No way.
Speaker 6: A couple of weeks later, this rather elaborate apology hamper turned up for my one of.
Speaker 3: Those storm I mean needed for my wife at the moment. An apology my brother in law.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 4: The good news for you is that despite being not a citizen, you can still make it arrest.
Speaker 2: Anybody can actually have been accepted by the Immigration Department. I'm now just waiting for my ceremony.
Speaker 3: Forgot.
Speaker 2: It's happened literally about a week after we ended for the year. My wife and I did. Are yes, I got ninety percent. My wife got ninety five, which she loves that fact.
Speaker 3: Well done, Yeah, well done. I was so nervous.
Speaker 4: I was so ceremony or you still have to wait, still.
Speaker 3: Got to wait and see congratulation. You should have.
Speaker 1: Mentioned that thing.
Speaker 4: And the other thing they specify for making the citizens arrest is you have to actually catch somebody committing offense merely having a hunch that someone will would be doing it.
Speaker 2: Something about you, the face, whatever it is, the energy. All right, let's get some more stories about you making citizens arrest A J.
Speaker 7: Tst Off. I just want to make sure that that no one actually commits the citizens of the rest unless they are trained, unless like one hundred percent sure if the are in fear of their life or their partner's life. At the time I was doing corporate security, I was looking at Prince Frederick of Denmark before he got married to Mary.
Speaker 3: Slow this down. This is all incredible, right, this is great.
Speaker 2: First of all, thank you very much for considering one's safety right, because people could get her trying to do the right thing.
Speaker 3: So I appreciate that. But who which prince were you looking after?
Speaker 7: Prince Frederick of Denmark. He was over and over in Melbourne for the two five Flemington Cup.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, this Prince Vederick is one of his I was.
Speaker 7: Looking after himself and two of his entourage. One of his entourage had his phone stolen. I took chase. Uh if I started, Obviously the guy lost, explained.
Speaker 3: All right, John winning. Obviously he lost. You don't take on a j and you walk away.
Speaker 7: Now look, I'm no tough guy, but respectful, respectfully, I was trained. I did it without without without causing any damage to him. Among the citizens arrest. I made him sit down while I gave thee to call the police.
Speaker 1: But there's a bit more of that.
Speaker 7: You must see this person through to the length of the law. You must make sure he is arrested. You make sure, must make sure he is not harmed, and you know you've got to make sure that he is charged, and you've got to be present to that charging.
Speaker 3: My horse is about the race, Prince Frederick Waite, sorry, Frederick Off. We've got to go and god him. No, no, no, we just need to read him as rights. You could.
Speaker 7: If you give me a link. I also have art and I can prove that all this happened.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 7: I have a better security where it's declassified. Now it's I'm allowed to talk about it, but don't be it. But please don't, please do not attempt to citizen arrest someone unless you know your rights, that your rights, you can get in more trouble than they can. So yeah, we don't only do it if you are half percent sure that this person needs to out of jail or needs to get arrested for the crime for that committed.
Speaker 2: Good advice feels like the first time this year had grownups called in all show. Feel free to do that anytime. Sometimes we need like a lifeguard.
Speaker 3: Go hey, hey, Ben Bens on the line.
Speaker 1: Christian a long time listener, first time caller.
Speaker 3: Thanks you, Ben, Thank you very much. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: So I understand that you tried to make assistance the rest when you were fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was a young lad just waiting for the waiting for the bus, and then a young lady had a walt stolen. You have the classic. I stopped, stop, he's got my wallet. He's ran down. He's done a sharp left and ran down the alleyway, very familiar with the fish and chip shop, knowing they have the way to the back alley. He was doing straight down there and we met.
Speaker 2: In something a Jackie Chan movie where someone ros soon jumps through a window and then they carry on the chase.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what happened there? If you go through the site or rejoin the chase.
Speaker 1: Side and then we meet to blindside him to the ground. An older gentleman caught up with us and he's taken over taking charge of said he's under. He's putting them under, and the rest all three of us are just staying there in silent wait.
Speaker 3: The old now is going to put me off if.
Speaker 6: You do it.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast