Speaker 1: It is good to be back. I am in person.
Speaker 2: I I'm so happy to see you at the flesh this.
Speaker 1: I got back yesterday. I was forty hours of travel from Providence, Rhode Island, door to door and I feel like a dried up piece of crap. And I so to keep myself awake, like you know, you want to get out of the apartment, get some sunshine. Yeah, and I booked a haircut, but I had to go to a new guy.
Speaker 2: Ooh, same same location.
Speaker 1: You got, same brand, new guy, same franchise. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: I went to Just Cuts. Yeah, and it was the Apprentice. As you can tell, I said, make me look like a tennis ball for the It's so short. I hate it.
Speaker 2: I think it looks good. What do you think It's too short on the side or too short on the top.
Speaker 1: I think he went short on the sides and weird little like party hat on top.
Speaker 2: It is like a little top hat.
Speaker 1: I want to look like a triumph. But the Melbourne Comedy Festivals on it. It is show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come and see my show. I have been asking the crowd do you listen? And a nice podcast? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Really yeah?
Speaker 2: A couple of people of that just a couple of people. And then last night, which was probably my worst show of the run so far, and there was a guy and the orders just went no.
Speaker 1: I got to laugh, though, well only.
Speaker 2: When I addressed it. I was like, whoa, whoa who audibly said no, And then he kind of I asked a couple of questions and he also said no. After that, I was like, he's like the weird chorus leader in my shirt. That was a weird guy, Michael.
Speaker 1: His name was oh, Michael's dicks. But this new guy, new barber, doesn't know who I am, you know, like, and so you got to go through the small talk and uh, comedy comes up because he goes, you know, so, what have you been up to? He said, oh, I saw a comedy show for the festival last night. I'll tell you who it was after because because he told me who was. And then he goes, I've decided stand up comedy is not for me. And he doesn't know who I am. He doesn't know he's talking to a comedge. Yeah, so I go I started like baiting him. I go like, uh, so would you say like stand up comedy is like the worst of all these entertainment art forms and he was like, yeah, oh yeah. He was like, it's embarrassing, it's cringe. And I go, would you put comedians below like magicians and mimes? And he's like kind of laughing, but he's like absolutely, it's like it's worse. And then finally the small ti cauts around us, So what do you do? And I go, oh, I'm a stand up comedy and it was tense. Yeah, I know exactly, and then he must have butchered me because yeah, the ruse, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Shot what.
Speaker 1: Hard court has ed?
Speaker 2: And it was blended.
Speaker 1: But now is the time to say, is on Clay?
Speaker 2: Tell me why?
Speaker 1: Ego sewant exciting and to shot?
Speaker 2: Tell me why.
Speaker 1: Alcarez hitting multiple drops?
Speaker 2: Tell me why?
Speaker 1: Because now is the time to say is on Clay. We are into the Clay Court swings.
Speaker 2: This is exciting. Officially dirt to get dirty dirty.
Speaker 1: It is officially dirt rat season. I think Charleston is on at the moment, which is a WTA five hundred. Jess Pagoula is the number one seed. Okay for that one. I don't know if you've watched Charleston. It's on Gray Clay.
Speaker 2: Gray Clay. No, I have not seen that.
Speaker 1: I like it. It's yeah, you can see the ball way better than on the red clay. And they should keep gray clay for all the tournaments.
Speaker 2: Where do they get this gray clay? Like, what kind of clay is geologist? That's what my mind went. And I'm like, so, which rock does that come from?
Speaker 1: Well, because they've done I think they just diet because they've done the blue clay tournaments before, but for most of the season it's on the classic red. But first, yes, let's recap the end of the hardcourt swing. Sunshine Double Miami is done.
Speaker 2: So you at the top, Yeah, we're like one of them is going to do the Sunshine Double. I just don't know who. I believe that is what you said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I switched it to saying both will do the Sunshine Double?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think last week's did you excellent just because Algras went out, Yeah, fair ground. Yeah, and yeah, I mean, let's do it here on this pod because I noticed the other tennis pods aren't doing it. They're not making a big enough deal that a redhead won the Sunshine Double.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is so true, against.
Speaker 1: All odds, against all odds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Environmental conditions not favoring yea.
Speaker 1: Genetic weakness, lack of melanin, lack of melanin. But he did it without dropping a set. Yanick Center wins the Sunshine Double. That's four weeks of matches without dropping a single set.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: He's a machine. Yeah. Yeah, And that's three Masters one thousand events in a row. Because he won Paris end of last year where he didn't drop a set.
Speaker 2: And he's got some kind of is he on a record now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the first one to ever do it without dropping a set. Yeah, that's crazy, which is nuts. And he played Yeri Lehechka and yeah, and it wasn't wasn't really pushed, even though year he had a break early, but I think Sinner just broke back immediately. He now to me like it's going to be him and Alcoraz just fighting for the number one for the rest of the year because their points are getting pretty close. Cinner now to me, goes into the clay court season as probably the favorite. Yeah, because I think he'll get the number one seat at the French.
Speaker 2: Okay, and do you think he's gonna win, no, or just get far enough to get that number one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, because Monte Carlo is coming up. Yeah, I think that starts next week. And yeah, what Ace is looking around suspiciously?
Speaker 2: Did you forget to put a camera on?
Speaker 1: Are we good?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Get paranoid? Whatever you mean?
Speaker 2: He's like, oh the record button?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Centner. It seems to me now that it was kind of an anomaly him. I mean he lost to Jokovic in the semifinals of the as Open, and then that, especially the loss to uh Men Sick in Doha, which I believe was a semifinal as well. They seem like kind of anomalies on this season that he's having because he's just tearing through everyone and absolutely dominant. But he hasn't been playing Alkhoriz.
Speaker 2: True, they haven't had a match hup.
Speaker 1: No, No, not this yere whoa Yeah.
Speaker 2: How weird is that? Because that's all we talk about, I know. And then they haven't played together. No, hopefully in the final.
Speaker 1: Well of the French Yeah, give us a rematch of the French Final last year, one of the best.
Speaker 2: That would be awesome. But I I have maybe djokovitual will get fun. You hate this, I say, yeah, I feel like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not playing a lot of the lead up tournaments. He's pulled out of Monte Carlo. But yeah, I just don't think he's going to have the time on the court. Yeah, and he's getting up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean he's good on every surface, but I wouldn't say clay is his strength.
Speaker 2: Who else is really good on clay?
Speaker 1: Uh, Well, a lot of the European dirt rats. I think dark horse is going to be Dar Dairy, who had famous you might remember, but he's a guy that's like, plays real clean on clay and you know, grew up on the surface. So I think just to recap Miami a little bit more. Uh. The Arthur Fees and Tommy Paul quarterfinal was one of the best matches of the season and every set was a tie break. Tommy Paul had four match points in the third set tie break and Arthur Fees came back to.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and him and Tommy Paul like two of the hottest.
Speaker 2: Guys you're ever gonna say, Yeah, it's hunk v hunk.
Speaker 1: Tommy, he'll figure out up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. True.
Speaker 1: But then Fees got killed by the Hetchka in the next round. Who I mean, like we talked about before it was kind of someone would win a huge match and then go out in the next round.
Speaker 2: Put all their effort into that match, and then be tired.
Speaker 1: Mental or physical exhaustion are both. Zverav played Center in the semi of Miami, and he said in an interview, the last time I beat Sinner, he was fourteen years old. Oh, like Center was fourteen years old.
Speaker 2: He's holding onto that. You can't shake that.
Speaker 1: And he lost in two sets to Center in the semi final. The second set tie break was good. I think it all came down to a shot where Zverev lost the ball in the lights and then yeah, kind of muffed it in to the net. And had he not done that, he could have pushed a third set.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: I know. And the women and the women's Sablenka, who I think was my prediction from the start.
Speaker 2: From the start, I can confirm you predicted it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Sablenka played Cocoa Goff en route to the finals. She played her biggest rival these days, Rebacina. Yeah, and kind of wasn't troubled this time by Rebeccaa. Just you know, I think we're back in a obviously exhausted kind of by that point in the tournament, and Sablenka played great in that semi and great in the final, even though Golf took a set, she did come back. Yeah, that second set was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was good. Yeah, but then she looked like she had something. And then Sablenka has just a different gear that she can go to.
Speaker 1: She's scary out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she just like that. No one can match.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I mean, like we said, she's had a finals problem in the past, most recently this year's Australian Open, but now she's beat Rebeccena in a final and Golf in the final, and I think she is confident French Open is hers even though there's ego.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but EGA's gone through some stuff.
Speaker 1: She didn't have a coach as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Maybe that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should coach hey IgA.
Speaker 2: Remember that crazy rappol we had during the interview.
Speaker 1: Where all you did was hit buttons and couldn't make eye contact.
Speaker 2: I feel like I could be your coach.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Miami was a great tournament. And to me, it always kind of sits weird at this point of the season because it's more of hard court and then now they're just straight into the clay and then obviously the grass court season and then they're back on hard court leading up to the US. So it is this thing where like Alcahaz, I think wasn't totally focused. He was playing golf and going out to Miami nightclubs every night.
Speaker 2: Was it the heat game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think now he really wants the calendar Slam and they leading into the French it's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'll focus. Does anyone really like skip the clay? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Medvedev hates the.
Speaker 2: Clay, Like I'm not doing clay. I love that.
Speaker 1: I he'll play just for entrance fees, I think stuff. But he's thrown little hissy fits before. Well smashes, whack.
Speaker 2: It, wack it, wack it, smashes, wack it America.
Speaker 1: I hate clay. I'll smash my wack it.
Speaker 2: So that's going to be a sound bite.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he notoriously hates the clay. I think a lot of players do. And I think what you'll see, like what happens every year is these Europeans that grew up playing on the surface, You'll be like, who is this person? You know? But they might have a deep run. I think Atchivary is great on the clay, so he might, you know, show up in a lot of the tournaments.
Speaker 2: The South Americans they're they're good on clay, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So it's gonna be interesting predictions for the French. I've been saying IgA all year, and.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm gonna you're gonna stick with.
Speaker 1: I think just because if she does now when, it'll look cooler than if sabill Anca does.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: True, I'll look more knowledgeable and stuff because she is awesome on the clay and has been so dominant in the past. I'm looking forward to Coco now showing some form in Miami, getting.
Speaker 2: Way more confident. Yeah that's a hometown, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She was like umming and awing about playing because she had those elbow issues during Indian wells. But then she was like, it's a twenty minute drive from my place.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I may as well.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough gets to the.
Speaker 1: Tennis commentators are so desperate for content that everyone's making a big deal that she wore a hat for this tournament. Really, she's always wearing a head band. And then some tennis journalists was like, oh, you're playing well in a hat and then it's like there's this big blow up, like, oh, a man can't tell a woman about her wardrobe or something. What Coco didn't care? Yeah, but yeah, I mean so if we're talking hats, this is a hat, watch we're doing it as well.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I did notice she was wearing the hat, and I thought the hat did look a little strange.
Speaker 1: Because you used to sing her in a head band.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why. But it's hot there. I like that she's caring for her skim. Okay, that's nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we'll see how Demonar does because he's now rocking the head band instead of the hat.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's true. Do you think he's gonna continue with the headband? It wasn't very lucky for him.
Speaker 1: I don't know because I looked it up. He doesn't have the best results on clay. He's basically half Spanish, so who knows. It's up to him and the sponsors and his whenever they get.
Speaker 2: To your wife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the clay court. So there's two fifties happening. There's five hundred's the first A thousand will be Monte Carlo for the very exciting no Novak No Fritz no draper oh corda QRDA. Yeah, so, I mean it's still an awesome tournament. I don't know if you've it's the one that's like sitting on the Mediterranean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy, it looks awesome. Yeah, the French Riviera. I've been there, have you? Yeah, I've actually been in Monte Carlo.
Speaker 1: Did you wear like a white linen suit?
Speaker 2: No, it's I was doing this travel show. Weird job, I know, it was a crazy job. Dream and now our boat doctor in Porto Fino and then we where do we go? We went. If you're going to go, don't stay in Monte Carlo. Montecalo is a little bit trashy, is it. Yeah, it feels a little bit like, I don't know, just there's sports bars and yeah I didn't I didn't love it. But you can catch a train. They're like one stop down to this place called Menton and that's beautiful. That's like the last Italian city before you you get into Monte Carlo. That it was half French half Italian this city, so there were a lot of Italians of it also a lot of French people. It was beautiful.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a life you're living where you're like Monte.
Speaker 2: Carlo, Monte Carlo like it. Yeah, well I did go to the sports I looked at my phone and I was like, what do I do in Monte Carlo? And I do go to a sports bar and I took a photo beyond Borg on the wall. I was like, well, there's my tennis alignment. That's all I got for you.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say beyond Borg was at the.
Speaker 2: Point, and no, it's his voto on the wall.
Speaker 1: It's still a great tournament, and I think, like what we're going to see throughout the clay court swing is Alcorizm and Center battling for the number one spot. I hope, yeah, And I think any tournament they enter, like one of them might skip Madrid and I think they'll both play Rome. But it's just going to be whoever's winning it is just going to claim the number one spot. Yeah, back and forth. But the gap between them and whoever the number three is probably Veraev is just gonna widen. And Djokovic now has slipped to four and that's only going to get worse if he's not playing any of the other tournaments. So yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I would love to go to Monte Carlo. Please Tennis Australia, even.
Speaker 2: Though yeah, day out of the town, I'll catch the train there. I'm just more my yacht.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really only know it from this tournament. And like every spy movie, they.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah it is. It is beautiful, but it is like fast cars casino. Yeah, it's like hot guys taking photos and yeah, so it's a lot of trash.
Speaker 1: Sounds awesome, hot guys taking photos. In Ozzie news, Alexi Poprin has won his first round match at the ATP Houston, beating American Patrick Kipson. So, Alexi's had kind of rough season, but maybe on clay he'll show some previous form and yeah, make his way through over there.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then our new favorite Gibson Gibb.
Speaker 2: Do you think we're calling a Gibbo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once we talked to her, we will. Let's see if she likes that nickname.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if she's got any others, I'd be surprised if.
Speaker 1: She didn't have a better nickname.
Speaker 2: Well, no, if Gibbo wasn't her nickname, well she is Ozzie right, yeah, gibbye, hey, Gibbe, Gibsie.
Speaker 1: Oh Gibsie, she might just come back.
Speaker 2: No, everyone just calls me Talia Gibson. No, no, no, but oh yeah, all right, we'll do that for her.
Speaker 3: We will.
Speaker 1: She has finally got our picture up on the WT website.
Speaker 2: Had a great picture. It's a great in the Green and Gold.
Speaker 1: And she's up to fifty six in the world.
Speaker 2: Incredible. She had a great Sunshine double she did.
Speaker 1: She was playing awesome. Is she playing in the Billy Jane Cup? Do we know?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: She is? And the Billy Jean King Cup kicks off in Melbourne next week. Lizzie and I will be in attendance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: It'd be good to just watch some liftimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back at the home John Kine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're playing great Britain. Yeah, it's going to be good to see who qualifies for the later rounds of the Billy Jean king A Cup. This story I love. This is back to Miami, fully grown ball kids.
Speaker 2: How good is that?
Speaker 1: So it's like that Seinfeld episode wherever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a ball man, yeah dominates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this guy like pensioners working as ball kids. Uh. And there's one dude in particular who they interviewed and how old was.
Speaker 2: He doesn't say he's a bull daddy.
Speaker 1: Ball daddy. That sounds like something else entirely. That's my nickname on grinder. But he looks good.
Speaker 2: This guy's ray Waterhouse.
Speaker 1: He's sixty five, sixty five years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just keeping finn. I mean it would be kind of hard. I would struggle. I don't really have the name to get up and down, you know, like that kneeling on the ground.
Speaker 1: It's hard work. Oh but uh, you know, if there's any potential ball daddy's out there, hit us up at pod Labor at tennis dot com dot a and well, actually this takes us back to the clay, Lizzy. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Okay, Madrid known for using models, oh as ball kids, ballpeople.
Speaker 2: Ball models, ball models. Yeah, that's kind of funny. So what kind of like, well, Madrid is very is it a fashion place?
Speaker 1: I guess? But this all happened years I think two thousand and six, when a Romanian billionaire decided that he wanted all the ball people to be models.
Speaker 2: Ion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, What'sac Tyriac? Yeah, so Tyriac, former tennis player need one of the most terrifying men. He yeah, was like, I want all models to be the ball people at the Madrid tournament. Yeah, and the like models don't have the agility and dexterity of kids running the energy energy, and they were like on all the matches and they're falling over themselves and they Hugo Boss was a sponsor, but not only would they have the models wearing Hugo Boss t shirts, but he would write Hugo Boss across their chests and their low cut tops. It was yeah, and so now and then they go, okay, well, well the women's will have some male models, right, that was concession. Okay, but like male models who cares? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And so now they've kept an aspect of models at the Madrid tournament. But it's only men's center court matches and there's yeah, female models as ballpeople.
Speaker 2: That is wild. Yeah, I mean I understand it must look good, sure, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the players, I think agacy was like.
Speaker 2: It is it distracted?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to hit a forehand and there's.
Speaker 2: Some show hanging.
Speaker 1: Out swinging her norcs around. That's so it's interesting in this day and age. Yeah, they somehow and it's Tyarac isn't running the tournament anymore. It's I think some huge sports agency. But they're like, we'll keep this one aspect on center court for the men's Yeah, oh my god. Yeah what. Don't give it to kids who aspiring tennis players and want to be around their heroes. Give it to privileged influencers. Yeah. Yeah, they need more opportunities. Yeah, they're the only other type of people that would be like, oh, Monte Carlo is trash.
Speaker 2: I can't wait till you go there.
Speaker 1: Okay, speaking of Clay Quarders, Roff and the doll, Oh isn't that cool? Got an honorary doctorate. An honorary doctorate, So we'll show the picture he what would you say, Old Raffa looks like there.
Speaker 2: He looks straight out of the Vatican.
Speaker 1: Yeah do you think, yeah, like, but he's a lime green pope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a cool pope. This is like an Easter pope.
Speaker 1: Our producer said, he dressed up as a lamp lamp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is looking lamb.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the cape, I love the color. Yeah, the hat is insane.
Speaker 1: Do you think, Yeah, some black smoke that came out of your chimney and then adult.
Speaker 2: Giving everyone his blessing. It's insane. Yeah, but he got a what an honorary doctorate in intent?
Speaker 1: Why not? So he's doctor Nadal now doctor Nadal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's excellence in sport at the Polytechnic University of Madrid.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: And it was presented to him by models.
Speaker 1: There you go. Yeah, is it douchey if you get an honorary doctorate to make people call you doctor? Do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe a little bit. I mean a lot of people get honorary you saying Bolt has an honorary doctor, doctor Bolt, doctor Bolt, I mean Ali has one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're not gonna if he wants.
Speaker 2: You to call him doctor doctor Ali. Yeah, I'll call him.
Speaker 1: He insists, well.
Speaker 2: He at home doctor dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I call doctor Dad. Uh. He one of when one of my friends growing up, let's say, mister Goldstein, he would say, I didn't go to five years of medical.
Speaker 2: School to be exactly. Okay, doctor gold So did your friends really call your dad Dr Goldstein?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow, I know that's insane. I think my friends called my dad Chin no respect, mocking him.
Speaker 1: His name is not even Chin. They were just racist. This is the thing I know we're in the tennis content game, and you know, we're looking for angles, and we've got players in for interviews and we want to make it fun. But this desperation now to get clips from tennis players, and you know they have him do but people like paparazzi type things will yell questions at tennis players to try and get some kind of response. And there's a guy at the Miami Open and I saw him do this. It hits a pass as well, where he's just yelling, what's your favorite pizza? Yeah? Over, and it hits a pass ignores him. Yeah, he did it to one of our favorite players, Carolina Mukava. Yeah, the mooch, And I just hate that he's annoying the mooch.
Speaker 3: What is your favorite kind of pizza? What's your favorite kind of pizza? What's your favorite pizza?
Speaker 2: Apparently that's his stick that he just asks celebrities, what's your favorite pizza? What a stick to aim higher?
Speaker 1: Yeah, imagine he's like, you know, gets home and his wife's.
Speaker 2: Like, how'd you go, honey, did you have.
Speaker 1: A hard day to day? He's like, yeah, Malcolm in the middle, wouldn't tell me if you like Pepperoni or yeah or superam.
Speaker 2: Oh god.
Speaker 1: And other news.
Speaker 2: Nick Kurios curious he's going down the brand ambassador route. Yeah, which I'm.
Speaker 1: Awful, Nick Curios, friend of the show. Yeah, we broke our ping pong pedal when I beat him famously, he's, you know, taking any kind of sponsorship at the moment, why not? Why not get that bag?
Speaker 2: Tennis isn't really happening, so you got to you gotta take the sponsor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think it reaches maybe a critical mass where people start giving you ship, depending on.
Speaker 2: When it's outside the tennis world. It looks a little bit strange, it does well.
Speaker 3: I was looking for an outdoor kitchen to suit mark cooking style and needs, which is very elegant. Obviously Afy Tennis needs a new clay.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'd say yes to anything at this point, but he is now the face of euro Alfresco kitchens. I help you watch the kitchen design to match my naids.
Speaker 3: From there, they took care of complaint and to end service.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's a European. Yeah, loves a barbecue. True, maybe he just wanted a new barbeque you. Yeah, and it looks pretty nice.
Speaker 1: Do you think he's doing his own barbecuing.
Speaker 2: I reckony barbecues. Okay, I reckon that's in him.
Speaker 1: All right, well, yeah he's his His quote for the euro al Fresco Kitchen is it's the Grand Slam of outdoor entertainment.
Speaker 2: Beautiful. Yeah, someone wrote that for him for sure. That is a marketing manager. Yeah, okay, Nick, this is what we want you to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes no sense at all. All those Hooters waitresses actually loved me, loved me, loved me, Lizzie. We have a new segment here on the show.
Speaker 2: Oh is it? Is it anything like Mike's anagrams?
Speaker 1: It's not as good. Okay, you know, but this is exciting because as employees of The Australian open that, they have opened up their vaults.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh to us.
Speaker 1: The history of the Australian.
Speaker 2: Must love us, trust us so much, I know.
Speaker 1: And so we're going to call this segment double Vaults.
Speaker 2: Oh, like, this is brilliant. Where do you come up with this stuff?
Speaker 1: I'm that good. So I've been drawling through the archives. Wow, and I found a clip of John McEnroe from over thirty years ago. Oh gosh, I believe in a postmatch interview a presser, and uh, let's have a look. Tell me what you think.
Speaker 4: Tennis is very, very very difficult. It's incredible sport, it really is. You know, in twenty years, I hope that the best athletes come into it so they can really see just incredible tennis. They're not gonna believe what they're gonna see in twenty years. If they really get the best people, you know, it's gonna be an amazing thing. They're gonna have to change the rules too, but well, for example, they're gonna have to move the service line closer than net or something like that, or make the net bigger, because else you can have sixteen Beckers hitting aces at Wimbledon, and I don't think people want to see that in the round of sixteen of wimbled.
Speaker 1: Interesting John McEnroe kind of addicting the future there, Yeah, I mean so if that was around eighty five, then twenty years later, obviously it was fed an adult before Djokovic kind of turn it into the Big three, Murray Whenever hovering around, and then now we're seeing another two guys just dominating and you know, great for them, but him, you know, saying that big serving isn't fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still holds true for sure. Yeah, wow, how interesting. I feel like I was watching a movie then, yeah, like someone playing him.
Speaker 1: Have you seen Borg McEnroe. They made a movie and Sheila Booth played John McEnroe. Oh you can kind of see it, yeah, a little bit. You know, they're both like volatile.
Speaker 2: Yeah true and yeah, kind of want to see someone ask him what's your favorite pizza?
Speaker 1: He would lose his mind, Yeah, because you could tell, like it's obviously, I guess the story as old as time as athletes kind of annoyed being at a press conference. Yeah, but he's like, oh, yeah, I got to be here, and you know, blah blah blah. But then if someone yelled out, what's your favorite pizza? Like yeah, yeah, so yeah, that's the first edition a double vault, Like I think him wanting to make the nets bigger in the service line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I'd watch that tournament. Yeah. But we're going to dig through the archives find interesting interviews and clips from the past, and I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I'd love to see some clips of the crowd. Yeah, my interviews with the crowd back then, to see what it was.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, yeah, yeah, some big hairdoos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big hairdos, weird accents. You know, the Aussie accent is kind of chained, has it. Yeah, it used to be a little bit more British.
Speaker 1: Oh, a little more proper.
Speaker 2: Especially around the tennis.
Speaker 1: And now it just sounds like crispy.
Speaker 4: Here we're.
Speaker 1: Biking Vega.
Speaker 3: What is your favorite kind of crispy bike?
Speaker 1: And Bega A right, So now getting into everybody's favorite segment. We keep this at the tail end of the show to keep people sticking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's my favorite segment of Oh, that's nice to do that with you in time.
Speaker 1: I know sound delay otherwise known as anagram of pova.
Speaker 2: This week, it's so good it has two names.
Speaker 1: This week, I've gone with Sablenka Sunshine W. I am a lot to work with this is and as I predicted, she would get the sunshine W. The letters in Sabelenka suns and W re arranged. I knew unshakeable as beautiful.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's good. I knew unshakeable a description of a very Mike Well is unshakeable as it sounds like.
Speaker 3: The un spelt the same way as the uh.
Speaker 1: Is that oh, I wrote that there's an extra k in there. I wrote on Shacob bakl very jet lag. Since four am. I've had three copies already. It does translate. I put a typo. It's not unshake a bakable.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I don't think is anyone going.
Speaker 1: To pick us up on Apparently someone has before.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The interview that will be going with this week is is Jessica Pegoula, who's currently seated number one at the Charleston Open on the Gray Clay.
Speaker 2: Great Clay. I'm going to look into this great.
Speaker 1: We talked to her during the Australian. It's worth noting the NFL playoffs were happening at the time. Her parents own the Buffalo Bills, so that came up and I apologize now because your NFL knowledge you can contribute.
Speaker 2: I couldn't. I was just sitting sitting there. Yeah, yeah, I didn't know that piece of information.
Speaker 1: So this is us talking to Jessica Pegoula. Enjoy how's it going? Did you do media day yesterday as well?
Speaker 5: I'm doing it now and loving it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, loving? What question do you get sick of?
Speaker 5: Probably like how are you feeling to start the year? What am I ever going? To say, like, why would I ever say like I feel terrible?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh I actually did a hammy earlier.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I actually like broke my leg and I'm sick, and like, I don't think people are ever really going to say that, So I think you just get a lot of the same generic answers.
Speaker 2: You should just say I'm not really feeling it because I have to be.
Speaker 5: Just like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Welcome to pod labor Arena. Today on the podcast we have Jessica Pagola. Yes, how are you feeling?
Speaker 5: I'm feeling great. I'm so excited to be here to start new year.
Speaker 2: This is all lies I feel.
Speaker 6: I do feel good. I'm happy to be here. You know, Australia is a great place to be, especially here in Melbourne. Everyone's happy and ready to go and coming off of So you're.
Speaker 1: Given the generic answer that you.
Speaker 5: But I mean it's true, So like, I don't know what else?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, but tell us what you really feel. Who don't you in Melbourne.
Speaker 5: Pissed me off this morning?
Speaker 2: Probably us.
Speaker 1: We're a breath of fresh air.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, you keep telling yourself that.
Speaker 1: I'm getting enough to watch the Bills Broncos game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, see, we can talk about that.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that, surely the Bills. She doesn't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I grew up in Kansas City.
Speaker 2: What's your team?
Speaker 5: No, I don't want to talk about.
Speaker 6: My team is the Buffalo Bills, who've consistently lost to the Kansas City Sheep.
Speaker 1: But we're not even in the playoffs. So you guys are good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but now it's like it's even more like we have to because and now the Patriots are good all of a sudden, there's just like a lot of stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I was here when we lost that like thirteen seconds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was bad.
Speaker 1: That was brutal. I mean, one of the best for me, one of the best games.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable.
Speaker 6: It was an unbelievable game, but it was I was in my hotel room and it just happened, and I was just like I have to go, like I had to go practice.
Speaker 1: Soon, and I was just, did you have a match that day?
Speaker 2: I have a match?
Speaker 6: I don't think, But I was going to the site and the game kind of ended. I planned it out so I could watch the game, and then their team won with like thirteen seconds left, and like my sister was actually here with me, and she just like storms that we were watching it together in my room and she just like storms out of the room, like doesn't say one word, and I'm just saying, like staring at the TV, like did that just happen? We like, you know, because at that point we're like, oh my god, we like we won. You're kind of thinking that, like you're not really thinking I mean you're thinking it, you're.
Speaker 2: Hoping serious nods. Yeah, they're like, I'm like, very good bills, go bills.
Speaker 1: We'll ask one question before getting in the ping pong that we've been asking people the strangest thing you've ever found in your tennis bag?
Speaker 5: The strangest thing. I don't think there's anything strange.
Speaker 1: It's just like old old Bana. What happened? Well, we're getting it out there that we found out that Grigor Dimitrov carries a gun. I made that up.
Speaker 5: Strike me.
Speaker 1: It's a Gucci gun though, yeah, that makes And playing today we have Jessica, Paula and Lizzie who Lizzy has elected to serve. Take it away, Lizzie, all right, quite the rally? All right, so stingpong you can hit me. You don't want to do it. I'm a cheese fan. You can fire a ball at my back as hard as you can do it for the bill. Yeah, all fast, paper, dirty.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm