Speaker 1: Hello, it's Artsimone. During my time is Australia's most talented and gorgeous drag queen. I've learned to conceal a second side of me. Now I'm meeting with regular looking people who seem like they have ordinary lives but are concealing some downright freaky professions, hobbies and secrets. The catch is I don't know who's about to walk through the door or what they're concealing, but I'll ask the heart eating questions so we can find out together. Welcome to Concealed with Arts Simone. Speaking of the guests, oh, here they are roll the time.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: I'm Mimi.
Speaker 3: I'm from Brisbane and I'm thirty four years old. I have been a makeup artist of four fifteen years. Outside of work, I really enjoy comping, going to the beach and punting. I don't think art will guests what I'm concealing because wooden pail.
Speaker 2: But the looking off me.
Speaker 1: Hello me, me loving to meet you. Oh my goodness, this is my favorite blind date. My name's a Simone. Now I'm welcome to Concealed. Mimi is petite, You're tiny. We had to get me me up onto the chair. With a forklift because our chairs are very tall for me being a drag queen. Oh my goodness. And you've got a beautiful polo shirt on. And there's a hot dog monster with a devil tail mustard thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, my lord myself.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you have a logo. Okay, okay, now I'm curious. Now I'm very curious. Okay, and beautiful makeup. You're like, and you're ripped, thanked you are tap. I would be a bit nervous to run into you in a back alley because I think you could kick my butt. I reckon you could. Sometimes I can tell what someone does when they walk in. At the moment, I have no clue whatsoever. So I'm very very excited. So you said you makeup artist. Yes, I am. My goodness. What type of makeup do you specialize in? I do everything everything.
Speaker 3: I do commercial makeups, and I also do like hallowe and stuff movies.
Speaker 1: Good, oh good. I used to work at a makeup store, and it was how I got cheap makeup because it takes a lot of makeup to be a drag, I understand, so I had to just learn on the job how to do like beauty makeup, and I hated it so much because lovely little ladies their heads are so small and I've got giant, big like man hands. You know how hard it is to do a smoky eye when you're like holding up rush like with this weird fish shape, trying to get into the nooks and crannies. Scary. So I do have to admit I did send out a lot of girls onto Colin Street looking slightly extra fabulous. So did you train to be a makeup artist? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I started the makeup of Artists the course in China eighteen years ago.
Speaker 1: So you're from Brisin, but you're originally from China.
Speaker 2: I was born in b China.
Speaker 1: Oh good news. Okay, Okay, you've traveled the world okay, and you're into fitness. Can I ask what you just like to work out or yeah, what's your favorite sporting activities? Do you like to.
Speaker 3: Actually talking about sports? I'm not actually good at any just okay? Yeah good sports is hard hard for me. So it's like to lift things in like, do like just workout stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Just always fast.
Speaker 2: Training or live the waste.
Speaker 1: I love that so much. Okay, So first question I have for you here today is how would your friends describe you in three words?
Speaker 2: Active?
Speaker 1: Active, bubbly, bubbly competitive? Oh, active, bubbly and competitive, which I think I've got from you in the first like two minutes being here. It's the vibe. It's the vibes that's you to a t Okay, So now in you're not lying to me. Active, bubbly, competitive, Okay, bubbly. Maybe you're into schweps. Sweps is best, you know, a bit of effervescence. Okay. Second question I have for you here today, Mimi, is if you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a very hard question for me.
Speaker 2: You like food years? Do you like arist?
Speaker 1: You can only have one one?
Speaker 3: I'd like to have the biggest meal. Yes, Oh, you can't eat restaurant.
Speaker 1: I eat a lot like the going down to Smallgees today. Love, We're going to small Geese and I'm going to eat everything that's a niche reference for Victorians there smorgies. So you know, is there a particular favorite food that you if you had to eat that for the rest You've got a hot dog on your chest.
Speaker 2: I like hot dogs, yes, okay, hot dogs.
Speaker 1: Hot dogs okay, And final question number three, if you could make one thing illegal, what would it be. Hmmm.
Speaker 3: I don't like people judge how you look. Okay, okay, because when I grew up, I grew up in China.
Speaker 2: Yes, people tell me I look too fat. I was really big.
Speaker 1: I was a big kid too. Yeah, I was a poorker, and.
Speaker 2: It could be really harsh, just too little fat kids.
Speaker 1: Yes like that? Yeah, okay, So we're going to outlaw judging people by their looks. Yes, I like that. I like that. I think maybe that's why we both got into makeup as well, because that's how you can change your appearance or enhance it, or make other people feel special.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay to recap active, bubbly, competitive, big meals. Yes, if you can make one thing illegal, it would be judging people from the way they look. Okay, all right, I gotta put my own to give skills. I mean, the investigative reporter out on the field today, I'm going to be guessing what Mimi is concealing from me. Okay, all right, Well, I think you know you're really into your fitness. You're like being strong, So my brain's going to be strong. Okay, I don't know. Oh, you don't like people being judged by the way they look. Okay, are you you sound like like you could be like a personal trainer or something? Are you like a personal trainer for because bubbly, are you a personal trainer for people that are addicted to drinking soft drink? What do you think? What do you think? What do you think? Is that right? I know?
Speaker 3: I am a compact Do you eat it? And I'm the number one rung the female compact? Did you eat it? In Australia? I'm grabbed the number four Oh in the country?
Speaker 1: You are a competitive eater?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, now I'm excited. You really threw me off with your fitness and your way people look. You like to eat and that explains we've got a hot dog. Yes, all right, we have just found out that Mimi is in fact not a personal trainer for people with soft drink addictions. No, she's not hanging by vending machines finding her clientele. She is, in fact Australia's number one female competitive eater and number four ranked in the country. I'm sorry what, I didn't even know that was a real thing. How do you even get into that? Could I get into it. I'm a bit hungry today, all right. So I'm here with Mimi and we have discovered the meme is not, in fact a personal trainer for people with soft drink addictions. No, you are in fact a competitive eater. Yes, and not only a competitive eater. You are the best were.
Speaker 2: Best female compactity eater in Elstra.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I'm here with Royalty. Okay. I have lots of questions because this is so fascinating. I've only seen this in like TV and movies and stuff. I didn't know it was like real where you where do you competitive eat?
Speaker 3: All kinds of restaurants. I'm gonna come on some restaurants. Do you have an eating challenge?
Speaker 1: Thing?
Speaker 2: That have a huge for you?
Speaker 1: Now, just to prefaces, you're tiny. So how did you find the world of competitive eating?
Speaker 3: I was shopping doing the shopping in the shopping center, and I saw a pancake eating competitions.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I just think I'd go with the goal.
Speaker 1: What goes through your head when you're walking past you go?
Speaker 2: I was just hurry. I did have lunch, but.
Speaker 1: That you were walking out and about you're hungry? You saw Oh pancake eating competition. Now, was this a challenge or was it like an actual competition with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as official competition by Competitive Eating Australia. Yeah, yeah, own community.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you saw that, you said, I'll give that a shot. Did you prepare for that at all for the first time?
Speaker 2: No, No, I was I just ate lunch.
Speaker 1: So you go in there and how many pancakes?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: As many as you can eat? Yeah?
Speaker 2: One hour time limit? As many as you can.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a lot longer than I thought, because you know, you say things and it's like everyone's like.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, most competition you have a short time. Yeah, but that was long.
Speaker 1: Okay. So you go in there, you sit down. How many competitors are you against?
Speaker 2: Thirty?
Speaker 1: Wow? Yeah, I was just the love of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a lung competition. A lot of people just see it as like, oh, your eat and maybe like about turns serious competitives.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, do you even have a game strategy the first time you're doing this? Oh?
Speaker 2: I just eat with knife on the book and I ate eighteen Okay I needn't in the first competition.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sure you did. Okay, but you got okay. So so you come seconds and you go, oh, this could be fun. So then where do you go from there?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What did you do? You start researching?
Speaker 2: What did you There.
Speaker 3: Was some professional eaters in that competition. They think, well, you should do this, you should get into this.
Speaker 2: They told me that, and I got in touch with competitive eating in Australia.
Speaker 1: And what was the next one after that? That's the type of one I think I'd like the most.
Speaker 2: I want that one.
Speaker 1: Yes, you did. Yeah, so your second ever competitive eating competition you run?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How do you balance competitive eating and fitness because those two things don't quite opposite?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just try to eat as healthy as I can.
Speaker 2: On my normal days.
Speaker 3: I do eating challenge like once a week, not too often, not too fun.
Speaker 1: You do eating challenge once a week.
Speaker 3: Sometimes when I travel even more than that, because if I only stay in one city for three days, I'd like to finish all the eating challenge in the city, So I do three days in a row.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. So they might not even be like official ones, but if save a restaurant has like a challenge, you'll go in there. Yeah, oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Oh, comput patients, how do.
Speaker 1: You then so then because you must feel a bit rotten afterwards, right, do you feel a bit like bit sick after you do it?
Speaker 3: I can literally eat loud things I was little, so yeah, I most of times I'm okay after all.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. You know they say like with health and fitness, it's like what you put in and then you got exos to take it out.
Speaker 2: So I did set our small gym at my old house so I can do excesses every day.
Speaker 3: I don't have to travel to the gym. You do it my own house, like I say, mini them two hours. Do it every night after work.
Speaker 1: You work for all day and then go in the gym for two hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and night.
Speaker 1: Why why you'd be watching the Bachelor or something? I don't know. You can put drag Race on two hours. You're like the human cookie monster. This is crazy. So out of everything, what is your specialty food records?
Speaker 2: My record? I doubled the previous woman's record.
Speaker 1: You doubled it, So what is the record?
Speaker 2: It was eight and I ate sixteen in how long communutes?
Speaker 1: Sixteen? I scared. I bet you were still holding back a little bit. You're like, I've already won, but you know so I'm generally curious because I've seen videos of people competitive eating hot dogs. Let's go through the process of how to tackle eating a hot dogs step by step.
Speaker 3: Yeap, Different people have different strategy. But what I do is take the sausage out from the band, eat the sausage by itself, but with this kind of crushed the band, dip into water.
Speaker 1: Oh you're doing this at the same time.
Speaker 2: We have to and did this hand eat sausage? And just hand? Did this hand?
Speaker 3: I have the bend the water and out of the sausage. I put the band in my mouth and start the next one.
Speaker 1: And how much chewing happens?
Speaker 2: We try to do less chewing, but don't chalk yourself.
Speaker 1: My mom would hate you. She's only food your food. Well, Mom gets what. Maybe I was just trying for competitive eating. Okay, Mom, you've just really been stifling my creativity. You know, I was always bad at sport, mum, But maybe I could have been good at this. All right, Mom, this is all your fault. Mom, I could have been a superstar sports person. Need to go call her after this and yellow I.
Speaker 3: Grew up people, Obviously I don't eat like a girl. Yeah, so I grew up in China. Yeah, people just to say I'm not normal, I'm a monster. I don't eat like a girl. But luckily my mom is very supposible.
Speaker 1: Oh good, I'm glad that you have found you're like people right and something you can be celebrated for. Yes. So what's the community of competitive eaters like? Are they supportive or are they like you took out my champion pizza eating title, Get out of here. I'm Has it been any sabotage amongst the competitive eating competition?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: In a competitive eating as official competition, it won't hypen. But sometimes little restaurant yes, private competitions, they will have some time honeycap for professional order.
Speaker 1: That's not fair. Do you hide it? Do you go you cover your little logo and you go, you go, oh hello, I'm just here for dinner.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Sometimes they ask you to start like two minutes after other people.
Speaker 1: That's not fair, not fair.
Speaker 2: We don't like that at all.
Speaker 1: I know some of these competitions you'll win like a T shirt or you'll get your meal for free. Is that like a trick way If you're like, guys, let's go out to dinner tonight, it's on me and they're like, what are you talking about? And then you go in there eat it or win the challenge and you go or do they have They probably have pictures of you and say do not let her in. They probably have like I wanted all the restaurants to be happy. Yeah, they're like, no, no competition for her. Thank you, just just before.
Speaker 2: Most of us restaurants very good to us.
Speaker 1: Oh good? What's good business too? Write and I guess it's kind of fun if it's a challenge.
Speaker 2: For the people and we promote for them on patch too.
Speaker 1: What's a good deal to have? Then? So pre competition, do you have any processes or rituals? You go, all right, today is competition to day. What do you do to prepare for that day?
Speaker 3: Not too many skills, but just don't stuff yourself down the previous day because you're someone will shrink. Some people think if you get very hungry, you've got.
Speaker 1: Your room right Yeah? No, because yeah, because it's a muscle, right, you're going to stretch it. I didn't think of that. I need to thank you. I think you've equipped me with my new excuse when I'm like want to eat something, It's be like guys, I've got a competition tomorrow. I just need to stretch my sometthach. Okay, I need to go and stretch my stomach. So if anyone sees me out eating, I'm training. Okay, do you have a name for yourself? What do you call yourself?
Speaker 2: I call myself Mimi, the mini Monster. I just exactly cool, the mini Monster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you walk in, They're.
Speaker 2: Like, no, maybe the mini monsters here around?
Speaker 1: Do you competitive eaters around the world know who you are? Have you been able to compete internationally? Yet?
Speaker 3: I got invited to go to Canada and you as to do competitions that must right before COVID.
Speaker 1: That's right, you said it can wait. I'm still hungry. But when you do go, I'll be there. I'm going to be in the front road for you, maybe the mini Monster, and I'll be going may maybe I want to see you do that.
Speaker 3: It's not very beautiful pleasant watching a lot of competitions, but in order to win, we'll have to.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you have to not care about what you look like. You just have to go for it. You said you didn't like sport, but like, this is a sport. This is this is a sport. You see you go huh. Earlier today, I said I wouldn't want to be near you in like a back alley because you kick my butt, you'd bite my leg off, That's what That's what you'd be like. Nah, crazy, you'd be a good bodyguard one day. Yeah, yeah, I have to take it to a gig with me one day, and you'd be like, get out, White, get out, White, get out. Why I doing this podcast? I am collecting the craziest band of misfits, and I just love the idea of all of us in a room one day, just like just like you know how they have like the Avengers, and it's like instead of the Avengers, it's all the people from Concealed without Simone stratting down. You know, we've got a mermaid swimming there, We've got a taxidermist who's going to rip your skin off, and then we've got Memi, the mini monster, who's gonna I think we take on the world. I think we take on the world. I think it's beautiful, it's so stunning. Well, I really feel like the most natural thing is I think I want to have a go. Do you think do you think you know you I'm certainly hungry after all of this walker food.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, I actually bought some cup kecks flaws.
Speaker 1: Have you competitive eaten cupcakes before I tried? Okay, what would be your game plan? Because there's a lot going on. You've got frosting on the top. You've got the little wrappers on as well. Are you allowed to pre peel them.
Speaker 3: All or peel while we were eating? Because the same some time, because you're chewing and you're doing something.
Speaker 1: Your multitasking is are very good? Me? Oh my god? Six cupcakes each? So twelve cupcakes have just made the way into the studio. They're huge. There is so much frusting on these. I don't even know how am I going to get through these? Oh don't worry. Everyone. That brought me some cutlery, Thank goodness. Yes, And what is going to be our time limit? To try and eat as many as we can?
Speaker 2: Just to as quick as you can.
Speaker 1: Oh so we're going to see how long it takes to eat the six Oh my god, I terrifying. Okay, Oh my god, prepare. Okay, you know you've got your water next year. I have a rock and some cutlery, so you know I'm going to pray this is like, this is just so terrifying. Okay, okay, okay, Mimi is staring at the cupcakes. Her eyes are locked, ready to go. She's got a water bottle right next to her. I think we're going to do it. Okay, here we go. I'm nervous. It's like when you have to pop a bottle of champagne, you know, It's like, Okay, here you go, three, two, one go. Okay, we're peeling. Oh my god, there's okay, okay, we've almost lost one. We've lost one. It's gone already in her mouth, and she's sipping some water and we go, oh swallow down. One cupcake gone me. I've just eaten some frosting. It's delicious. Okay, we've already peeled number two. She's already in chewing. I'm still eating them, fristing. I have a big mouth, but I'm not really good at this. Okay. I've never called a race before, but I should get a job as a race caller after this. Oh my god, she's already done three and she's gotta be more water. Her odor locked on the cup game. Oh Jesus Christ, jeez, fully put the whole thing in there. I feeling she's gonna actually eat a rapper. No, she didn't. It's gone. Oh my god, Oh my god. Okay, five and a half okay, all right, were on the final cup game. It's going into Mimi's mouth. Jesus, okay, and we're half a cup back, not even Oh my god, it's gone and she's swallowing it. I'm gonna stop the time and supper time and supper the time a minute, a minute, eighteen seconds. Oh my god, well I've got five more years.
Speaker 2: He chose them slowly, please.
Speaker 1: Mimi the mini monster competitive eater has shown me her stuff. She has shown me how to shove a cupcake into a tiny orifice and still have a smile at the end. You know, I feel like I could use some of those skills within my own career. Maybe not cupcakes, but I am very good at shoving things into other things, So I feel like maybe we could do a great duo. You've been listening to an iHeart and Kiss production concealed with arts Amone. Listen for free on the iHeartRadio app and listen to your art's content. Don't forget to check us out on the socials, and you can see Mimi stuff a few cupcakes into a little face who my mother yess