Speaker 1: Is It Just Me?
Speaker 2: Podcast by a couple of mitches.
Speaker 1: All right, it's time for the big guests that I've been mentioning the whole episode. Jenna and I are quite excited. So last year how this came about. We got an all staff email that just made mine and Jennis jaws drop. It was one of those emails announcing a new staff member, and it basically said, oh, please, welcome to Power Friend, which is one of the stations that Kiss owns. A brand new radio announcer. Her name is l j as in Lara Jean Marshall, who played Lisa on The Saddle Club. Yes, come on. Jenna and I were big Saddle Club fangirls and we were children, and so we thought, should we just like shoot her a quick email using her internal work email address and say I want to come on the podcast And we did and she said sure, So here she is today, Lara Jean Marshall, Welcome to.
Speaker 3: Is It Just Me? Hi? Lara? Does that song bring back good memories or bad memories? This song.
Speaker 4: Mixed memories? Yeah, I have.
Speaker 5: I remember hearing you know people you know say it, say it and sing it down the road to.
Speaker 4: Me, and I thought, yeah, yeah, I know, and you know, they'd ask me to do the moves and I have like moves.
Speaker 3: To go home.
Speaker 5: God, But then it brings back the beautiful memories of just being a kid and being with the girls and around the horses.
Speaker 4: So it was lovely.
Speaker 1: Did they tell you before you like sort of got cast on the show that you'd be required to sing the bloody opening theme song.
Speaker 5: No, I went into it like not knowing you know, how big it was going to be or anything.
Speaker 4: And yeah, the albums came later, We had albums.
Speaker 3: I loved the album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know this is kind of weird that right now we're just talking as to adults, but it's weird to know that as a child I had like posters of you and CDs and there was multiple multiple albums. They saw a real cash grab there.
Speaker 3: Hold on. So I hate no disrespect Laura, but I have never seen it's a saddle club and I just was not a horse boy, more into Pokemon And no offense to you. I love what you did with the animals, but you were made to write albums.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we didn't write them, but obviously there's other people who wrote them for us, and we ended up with like three gold albums and we sung around every Westfield. Yeah, we do, like the whole signing and having the microphone. We had those headsets where they were like that and they're like, you know Ricky, yeah, Brittany Britney vibes. Yeah, there's quite some weird instances as well, when you know, I'd be going up an escalator and someone would just reach for my hair. Like very weird things happening at these centers. But yeah, it was a lot of fun, a lot of fun, and.
Speaker 1: I suppose even to this day you get a lot of people like us who were still after all these years, like, holy fuck, it's Lisa Saddle Clubs.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Lisa. I can't tell you that the exit not Lisa. Oh sorry, sorry, Lara, that's a right.
Speaker 4: I called me Lisa.
Speaker 5: The week, we had a guy come in and do an interview and he actually had this bargain at work with his mates and they're all putting their loves of their lives on the wall or something, and there was like Mark or Robbie, there was something else because there was Lisa from the Settle Club. So he actually came in and on an interview and he's like can I hug you? Can I give you a hug? And I was like, yeah, sure, And he's the same age as.
Speaker 1: Mate, So I love that. I'm telling you one of these it's it's one of those things that sticks with you if you're obsessed with it as a child. Even though I'm not obsessed with the Saddle Club now, it just kind of sticks with you. I'm like, oh my god, it's Lisa. You also don't look like you've aged that.
Speaker 3: Much, but.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you. It must be my mum's skin.
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe, so wait, can you Did you know how to ride a horse when you got cast on the show? Was that how you got cast?
Speaker 4: No? No, not at all.
Speaker 5: So basically I Keenan actually got her role first, who played Carol, and I got my role and then they said, okay, we're going to trying you up with the Lord of the Rings trainers for a month, and so we did that.
Speaker 3: The Lord of the Rings train as well, I guess, because they were big in the horse department at that At that point in time, those movies were big.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Lord of the Rings is going on at the same time. So I was in love with orlanda Bloom. So one of the guys actually grabbed his signature for me.
Speaker 3: Oh I love it. Yeah. Can I just point something out, Mitchell that Jenna is actually skewing a little saddle club today herself.
Speaker 1: Did you put on this outfit knowing that you were going to be chatting to Lara today because you're very thought of glove?
Speaker 3: It's a dryser bone pink shirt. You've got horse flies surrounding what's going on, and she's got a salt lick on the desk.
Speaker 5: Clara, I know, well, you know she's got that ponytail as well, like Lisa always had a ponytail, so she's looking more Lisa.
Speaker 4: Than I am.
Speaker 3: And I also don't think that you two have discussed how bigger fans you actually were, So Mitch, you had posters, Jenna went to all the meat and greets. How intense were you guys into this show when it was at its peak?
Speaker 1: It was just like my favorite show, my sister's favorite show. We loved it, and it was always starting as we got home from school because I was a country kid, so the bus took forever, and if the bus was running late, i'd get so antsy. I'm like, fuck, it's already started. I'm missing the start of the Saddle Club and I'd do that thing where I'd tape it on a blank VHS. Yeah, I would tape the Saddle Club.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, because we have videos like I sell the tapes too. It's it's ridiculous now, It's like, how would we even watch that stuf?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Were you the same Jenna? Were you obsessed? Did you have posters?
Speaker 5: I loved the Saddle Club and the Saddle Club made me want to learn how to ride a horse? You?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did. I did a questrian and showed you. Why does A's secret backstone yet?
Speaker 3: Lara Jenn' is a type of person. I'm like, oh, I've got to go get an ingro and tone our removed. She's like, I'll do it. I've got a p dietary ticket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like a Jenny. You're just a woman after my own heart.
Speaker 3: Well, Jenna's an nepotism baby, so she had a very big house growing up, so she would have had her own stables. She is, she's an epotism baby, and so she's very wealthy, so she had an estate. So it makes sense, Mitchell, we should have put the together that she went.
Speaker 1: Sta so you know, not a NEPO baby. So you you said Mitch that you never really watched the Sato Club, right, never.
Speaker 3: My sister's did. But I never watched it, and I'm gay. I don't know why I didn't watch it. Like I was, I was trying to indoctrinate myself into straight culture. I'm like, I've got to like Pokemon and you gi oh, but I really should have been watching Saddle Club.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, I did dig up an old scene from back in the day, a scene that Lara would have done. It was Lisa arguing with her mother about whether or not she was going to boarding school. Her mother's trying to pull her out of Pine Hollow. She won't be part of that club. You're off to boarding school.
Speaker 3: Disgusting. All right, here's the Saddle Club. Here's a little trip down memory lane, Laara.
Speaker 2: I just concerned about your priorities. I know you're right. I shouldn't be putting writing before her work.
Speaker 5: A study harder, I promise, but I can do that without leaving.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 2: I totally belong here.
Speaker 1: You mate, your friend Toney, not.
Speaker 2: Like Stephen Carroll. They're my best friends.
Speaker 1: They're always there for me.
Speaker 5: No, matter what?
Speaker 2: Well can she say?
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, yeah I'm staying.
Speaker 2: Let's celebrate, how right?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Hold on? So half into the sunset on the horse.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen the show, Lara, but is that how every confrontation was sold in the saddle club? She's got debilitating Maya grains and she no, no, you know what we need to do right?
Speaker 4: Writing makes us happier, doesn't it?
Speaker 3: Sleepy hollows flooded? You know what we need to do sleep right? Does that bring back memories? Lara? You were such a cutie?
Speaker 4: Oh thank you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it does bring memories, and yeah, they're very heartwarming memories. And I kind of remembered what I was doing on the day, but I look back to the faces.
Speaker 4: I was pulling, and it was always like this, I've always just had.
Speaker 1: This was always just a little bit concerned, wasn't she?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: She was always confused.
Speaker 5: You know, I just always confused or you know, constipated either.
Speaker 3: Yes, I relate to that.
Speaker 1: I've got to say, though, I wouldn't have picked Lisa to turn out with this gorgeous radio voice of an adult, don't you reckon?
Speaker 3: And this is what I got excited because these two love Saddle Club. I'm a radio nerd, like I'm obsessed with radio through and through, and then hearing that you've got the Brecky Show on Power FM is so exciting to me. So how did that come about? Did you love radio? Did you fall into it? Did you get off of the gig?
Speaker 4: Well, guys, I know that you're you've been in radio for for a long time, but I'm very new to radio.
Speaker 5: So you know, I gave up acting maybe two years ago, and then I my first job out of journalism school was the news. So I was in Hamilton, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by just liquor stores and pubs everywhere, and I was doing the news around there. But it was really lovely because I got to connect with the community. And then I kind of fell in love with radio. I kept him falling in love with interviewing people and connecting with people.
Speaker 1: Can you give us a little peak at your new three to voice. I want to hear that.
Speaker 4: It's Laura J.
Speaker 5: Marshall and it's news Today and on the ble oh Jack.
Speaker 3: That was really good.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I'd have to remember one of the little bulletins I've done but yeah, after that, Yeah, it was Jack because.
Speaker 4: It's LJ and Jack for breakfast.
Speaker 5: And Jack actually met my sister in law at a party or something and he was saying, I'm looking for a co host and she said Laura would be great for this and sent me through and then we just had a connection on radio. We just couldn't stop laughing, and we're very ying and Yang's very different to me.
Speaker 3: Well that's Mitch and I. We are very different from each other. Half the time we forget Jenny's here. So it's actually a perfect little trio for us to have. But once you find that magic, like it takes years to get that, especially in radio because bosses love to just cram two people that don't work together the amount of love it, and contestants have tried to oh my god, I've got bigger tips and half these girls never fucking work.
Speaker 1: But it sounds like you're not a total newbies to radio. You had the journalists and background, which makes total sense. And so you're in Ballarat now right, we're already living there.
Speaker 4: No, no, I moved to Ballarat for the job.
Speaker 5: It was a little bit of like I love Hamilton, don't get me wrong, but it was a little closer to the Melbourne city in the metro and yeah, it's nice to be closer to family.
Speaker 4: And it's really lovely around here. Like I'm loving the lake.
Speaker 5: I actually I am the big sailor, so I stay on Wednesday nights on the lake here. Yeah, I like to be active, so you know, it's got the walks, it's got the hikes.
Speaker 4: It's really lovely.
Speaker 5: So it's just kind of worked out that way. And the Breakfast show is going really well, Like the listeners have been so lovely and just you know, giving me helpful hints, offering.
Speaker 4: To help me move all of this stuff, and I'm just.
Speaker 3: Like you're also okay, No, I will say Lara though, like I've been in this for a while, don't trust them all the time because the listeners they can be absolutely crazy. So don't eat listen to food. Have you been sent to listen to food before, like a meal or a baked good that's been made for you by the listeners.
Speaker 5: No, but I've been sent flowers, a book, right, and a candle.
Speaker 3: Okay, the books bomb. The candle is actually it's probably made with seamen. And then the flowers just don't go near them. They've probably got a spy camera in them. Like, just just my word of advice. I once was sent cookies and the woman had spat in them. She sat in the.
Speaker 1: Wait until after you'd eaten them to tell you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. Also, someone here Kiss FM sent Kyle Sandalan's lemon cello, but it was urine, it wasn't I remember.
Speaker 1: I remember Kyle telling a story where someone sent Lamington to the station. She up and said, did you get the Lamington's And they said, yeah, yeah, we've eaten them. She goes, good because I pieced in the mix. Okay, just take.
Speaker 4: Away from all of it.
Speaker 1: Over at Jones and Amanda and we get listener food and we eat it. Yeah, you've got wholesome listeners. I'd say it sounds like it sounds like powerful ballerette listeners would be quite wholesome to Did you move there by yourself? What did you move with the family?
Speaker 4: No, I moved by myself. I'm definitely you girl in town.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: Ye oh your single? Oh my god? Should we should do? We should speak? Play matchmaker? Sure you?
Speaker 5: I really want to be matched up now. I think I'm ready to date. I'm ready to go out there. You know, I dabble in this and.
Speaker 4: That, so no find me someone?
Speaker 2: Is it just the podcast by a couple of mitches.
Speaker 1: Ballaratte reminds me a lot of Forbes, which is near where I grew up. And I feel like there's what maybe five pubs in town. Have you tried them all?
Speaker 5: No, I've only tried a couple. I did go on a date the other night for really fine's day.
Speaker 3: Oh how did it go?
Speaker 1: Where's the hot date spot in Ballarati?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so for I would I would say, look, I've only been on one date in like six months, but now now I'm ready to get out there. But I would say, yeah, Mitchell Mitchell Harris wines like any of the wine places, you know, they're a little bit you know, upscale. They always have like a you know, a three course meal inclusive thing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ballerati is nothing like forb because it turns out much much more.
Speaker 3: Don't settle, Lara, because you are you're the queen bee of town, You're an actress, you have the breakfast radio show. Don't settle. I want you to, you know, have a couple of dates before you settle down.
Speaker 1: Although I will say this. It is tricky dating when you've got to get up super early, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, I mean I always have naps.
Speaker 5: You know, it gets to I do four till twelve, so I always have like a bit of a nap after and then my day's gone.
Speaker 1: You get there before I am in the night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so four am. So we get to the studio at four thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh that'll change that. Trust me. I'm on air at seven o'clock and I'm in at six fifty and I get a cup of tea and I sit down, the ambition goes. Maybe a bad lesson, don't fall into my happen, but that is so exciting. So yeah, power FM, that is What are some segments you do?
Speaker 1: I got to say, I was trying to check out the show and there's no podcasts. You've got to get them onto that come on.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, we're trying to get onto that. We did have TikTok for a couple of days.
Speaker 3: What happened Disappear just disappeared.
Speaker 5: We had a lot of listeners though, but yeah, no, we'll have to definitely get into that. But our segments are kind of around what are we doing tomorrow? We're saying like best cure for a hangover. We had like what is the oldest thing in Ballarat? And everyone was going wild about that, and we went to the fire station, we went to the Sailing yacht Club and we're finding out, you know, on this hunt for the oldest thing in Ballarat. We have talked about the fascination of serial killers today. Wow, and why everyone's so into it?
Speaker 1: Got the station? Your station sounds way more fun than the one that I had growing up. We used to have funeral announcements. I'd hit snooze on my bloody clock radio alarm and nine minutes later to go off again. Still going with the general announcements.
Speaker 3: They're not done in the middle of the song. Actually four people have died since original announcement. We have to actually retroactively, add Betty. That's so funny. Well do you do a quiz? Do you do a game? Any games that you guys do? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we do games.
Speaker 5: So I have this, Well we do that the would you rather of course? And then we do that, are you for real? We do the reverse game. We're basically have to hear the song reverse. Oh, and then you have.
Speaker 4: To figure out what it is. I'm really good at that one. And I don't know why I've had that.
Speaker 1: I've heard other radio shows do that, and I think I'm quite excellent at it too.
Speaker 2: Do that.
Speaker 5: Maybe we should all play each other girls against the two mitches.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, we have to do a rematch. We'll have to get your back.
Speaker 5: We have to.
Speaker 3: That could be really fun. Let's do it. Let's set a date. We'll get you back on hopefully to have a partner. IM not hopefully. You don't need you don't need anyone.
Speaker 4: But you know, I've been by myself.
Speaker 3: Flowers, Mitch exactly, exactly again, Well, that is so great to meet you. I'm going to go back and rewatch out club. It's streaming.
Speaker 1: It's actually all on stand. I found that out today. Yeah, by the way, you said that you gave up acting a couple of years ago. What made you want to do that.
Speaker 5: I think it was just there's a lot of pressure on women, you know, in that industry, and yeah, I think I just didn't find it fun anymore. You know, I love I love acting, but the industry was quite harsh and quite harsh on women's bodies and body image, and you know, it wasn't something that I kind of wanted to stay in anymore just because of that reason, not because of not be acting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough. Have they got like a local music and drama society that puts on music in Balarat?
Speaker 5: I'm sure they do. I mean they've got a performing arts studio here. They've got Steve O actually coming to town soon.
Speaker 3: Oh from Jack Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they've got him coming, so we're actually trying to get an interview with him.
Speaker 1: Ballaratte sounds dope, I said, it reminds me of four nothing like totally.
Speaker 3: Do they need a night show that sounds lovely? Sailing on Wednesdays? You need a big boat. But I could do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I'll take you sailing any time. We've actually did capsizing. Last night we did capsizing, So my teacher was pushing me off the boat and I actually hit my head with the boom and I've got this big egg on the back of my head.
Speaker 1: Now, No, what is the value in that lesson just pushing you off the boat? What skill do you gain from that?
Speaker 4: It's so that you can climb back on the boat again.
Speaker 5: But it's so like my friend was actually taping me getting back on the boat and it was really like terrible from the behind, like I.
Speaker 1: Looked like it.
Speaker 4: I looked like a dead seal just looped over the side.
Speaker 3: There is nothing worse than getting back on a boat from being in the water. It's awfulcause then you have like you're weightless in the water. But then the moment you have to like pull yourself back up, gravity kicks in and often my man boobs getting the way. I had that experience recently in the harbor and yeah, local terrorists are like, that's a bluega whale. It's not. It's me. It's from kids FM. It was very embarrassing for me. Well, so great to have you on. So exciting are you guys chopped? Look at.
Speaker 1: I'm like, god, life, it's weird. I'm chatting with Large.
Speaker 4: I'm chatting with the Mitches and Jammer stop it. It's great to me too, because I'm a big fan of you guys.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I really loved your episode about someone eating a salad out of someone's butthole.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, dear, maybe you shouldn't pumps show because the stuff like that happens aara. You know, maybe it's better if it just after it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even know how to give that more context and make it sound better.
Speaker 3: Exactly what we did, and we're proud of it. I'm a little bit.
Speaker 1: Reluctant to ask you the question that I ask every guest. I'm like, I'm like, you're still a child star in my mind, it feels so inappropriate. But we we ask the same question to every guest that comes on the show. We get them to contribute to our list of things better than drugs and dick. And the reason the list exists is because we don't want our young listeners getting obsessed with partying and boys, like, there's more to life. There's little things you can appreciate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, little.
Speaker 1: Things like the crunch of an apple, or like walking on autumn leaves, you know, stuff like that. What are some other example of it?
Speaker 3: A good afternoon nap? Yeah, perfect timed afternoon nap, A good A good what is it? A good two floss? I think we've had before. Oh, a Q tip in the air, like a nice, satisfying Q tip, just something that you go, you know what, this is so much better.
Speaker 2: Angela Bishop said her waterbed.
Speaker 3: True she did, she did? Yeah, I think she's got the last waterbed in the country.
Speaker 1: Sophie Monk said, Jimmy brings so like, yes, there's anything.
Speaker 3: Really, what are you thinking better than drugs and Dick Lara?
Speaker 5: Oh, I would say an oozing lava cake. Oh, nothing better.
Speaker 1: I love chocolate absolutely adding it to the lists great.
Speaker 3: Nothing pisses me off more when my ouzy lava cake doesn't oose, it's thick and coagulated that you fucking marketed it wrong.
Speaker 1: It must not glug.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, pisses me off. You know who does it really well? Ironically dominoes to a great lava cake?
Speaker 1: Do they?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really good. Well, aren't you guys? You asked that's perfect?
Speaker 1: Perfect. Have you found a place in Ballorat that does a good oozing lava cake?
Speaker 5: I do, and I did have it on my Valentine's date on Tuesday. It's funny because he actually made the date and then I realized it was Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: Oh did he know that it was Valentine's Day?
Speaker 5: Yes, and he was like, oh, it's funny the day. I'm like, I don't know what he's talking about. It Tuesday, and then we were sharing an oozing laugher cake.
Speaker 3: So did he know who you were, he knew of the history.
Speaker 1: And then interesting, where did you first meet him?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Bumble?
Speaker 3: Oh nice ship Bumble. How many swipes would you get on Bumble and Baller at three four?
Speaker 5: Oh, there's a lot, but there's a lot that looked like a bit of serial killers Jeffrey Darmer.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, maybe it's more like Forbes than I thought.
Speaker 3: Lara Jean Marshall, you can get her if you're in Ballarat, or can we listen on the app? Actually, Lara, can we.
Speaker 4: Get it live heart Radio?
Speaker 3: Oh, you're part of the family. You're a coworker. We love you. Think you're coming on the show Jack and LJ for Breakfast Power f balleratt or streaming on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 1: Our pleasure.
Speaker 3: I thank thanks, Lara?
Speaker 2: Is it just me a podcast by a couple of midges.
Speaker 3: Make sure you've hit follow on your podcast. Suff