Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. My friends, today is Friday, which means we're getting the team together, not the whole team.
Speaker 2: But you heard that voice.
Speaker 4: Miss Jessica Ricci is back, but we are here to celebrate you our incredible She's on the Money community today, Miss jess Gricci is back sharing her favorite money wins from the community.
Speaker 2: Beck has a few sneaky broke tips.
Speaker 4: Which she hasn't sold us on, but like any broke tip, will take it at this point in time, Beck like, we're in a cost of living crisis.
Speaker 2: We need whatever we can get.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about the impact of work credit card.
Speaker 2: Can have on your personal credit score.
Speaker 4: And we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about which this week we're chatting about being financially taken.
Speaker 2: Advantage of in a new relationship.
Speaker 5: Spicy, juicy.
Speaker 2: Let's get into catching up though, Jess, how was Japan?
Speaker 5: My god? I loved it? Everyone was so nice. I speak about three words of Japanese, but everyone was so just kind in finding a way to understand or communicate with us. And everything was so cheap. I can believe how cheap it was.
Speaker 4: Once I'm in a committed relationship now with seven eleven, Oh my god, like.
Speaker 5: The next level? Good if seven eleven here, If you're listening, we love you guys already, but you could be better.
Speaker 4: You're like, I am now a seven eleven ambassador, and Jess is like, you can do better.
Speaker 6: What's your favorite Japanese seven eleven product?
Speaker 5: I can't pick what, so they do the honor Geary the honor Yuri was really good. Yeah, you talked about that a lot. The karag they do like prednt the things I believe that seven eleven in Japan does fried chicken.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the crazy thing is is you can go to seven eleven in Japan and get a wholesome, well made meal, like there is a whole like noodle dishes, fish dishes, rice dishes, like there are all of these pre made things that if I lived here, when I'm running late for somewhere, if I've had a big day and i want something quick and easy all the time, I'm like, oh, I just go to my gus. Yeah. Whereas if there was that option at our like so well, literally and everything is really affordable. They do like little packets of candy.
Speaker 2: You're a dollar a dollar, yeah, or a dollar a dollar day.
Speaker 5: It's crazy how cheap it is. You can make her an iced coffee, you can make smoothie you.
Speaker 2: Were saying when you got back. The meals that you just mentioned were like five bucks each, right, so cheap.
Speaker 5: And even when we went out to eat at restaurants and stuff, it average like maybe fifteen dollars a person like for like really big generous well made meals.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: That's so phenomenal.
Speaker 5: The culture was amazing.
Speaker 2: I just thought the Japan would be a money weed.
Speaker 5: That's what I thought too. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to go. I loved it.
Speaker 4: I'm so envious because I have never had Japan as somewhere to I guess go on holiday. I've always been like, oh, I really want to go, obviously, like tree blossom season looks beautiful, and like I'm a snow bunny, so I really want to go to the snow over there. However, I've always been like, yep, like I'll go. Do Europe go this that the other Everyone that comes back from Japan is like I would go again. I'm going to put it on my list of places that Steve and I go.
Speaker 7: Do you reckon?
Speaker 2: I can take a baby? Is a baby friendly? Do you reckon?
Speaker 5: Jess?
Speaker 2: I reckon for sure, and I don't reckon.
Speaker 5: People would be like happy to go out of their way to accommodate you.
Speaker 2: If they don't even have to, they just have to not kick me out of the rest.
Speaker 4: That's all I asked, really really low bar to ask. So you loved Japan?
Speaker 5: Loved it. But I missed you.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 5: We missed you too.
Speaker 4: We just spent well a few episodes just talking absolute smack about you.
Speaker 2: So, Beck, how's your week been?
Speaker 7: Wow? Going after that, it's been very normal. I didn't go to Japan.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 7: No, it was a really really lovely week.
Speaker 6: The weather has been beautiful, and yeah, I've just I feel like I've been busy but doing nothing super exciting.
Speaker 7: So that's me in a nutshell love it. What about you?
Speaker 2: No, that's the same as me. Same as me.
Speaker 4: Everyone had these big I guess grand Flainel plans over last weekend and I just stayed in bed, like, went to the beach with my family, had a few glasses of non alcoholics sparkling.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was honestly so chill and so needed. I did get gifted a few baby things. Oh, my influencer status is paying off, guys. Finally the baby carrier I want got gifted to me.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I put my cat in.
Speaker 5: It, hue. Yep.
Speaker 2: So that was basically the highlight.
Speaker 7: Of my week.
Speaker 5: Something else exciting happened this week.
Speaker 2: Too, Oh yeah, Oh, completely forgot that one.
Speaker 4: On Tuesday, my third book, Property Buy shees on the money came out. Oh my god, yeah, I forgot Yeah, congratulations.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Imagine if it was the day that I was recording this and I only just remembered it was my book launch day.
Speaker 2: WHOA, that would be embarrassing. Glad that didn't happen.
Speaker 5: It's so exciting to see so many people getting their copies and being really pumped. And you know, so many people have been popping the three of the books together and they look so horrible.
Speaker 4: Most like, we picked those colors, yes, so that they looked cute together on a books.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got you girls the Booktop Girlies, the girls you get to get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And for the Booktop Girlies, all of the spines line up, all of the like headings line up, like everything that was good together.
Speaker 2: We made sure.
Speaker 4: That's very very important to me. But yeah, that happened this week. But to be honest, the cat and the baby carrier probably trumps it.
Speaker 2: Be honest, Let's be honest.
Speaker 4: This is not about us though, nor is it about my cat Bailey in a baby carrier.
Speaker 2: It is actually about the community. So Jess, I gotta it.
Speaker 4: Chi, can you let us know what money wins you've pulled from the community this week to.
Speaker 5: Share absolutely my first money when this week comes from Hailey, who said I was in Bali last week and I turned on my rooming for about fifteen minutes. Three hours later, I received the warning text messages from Optus stating that I had used fifty dollars, then one hundred dollars, all.
Speaker 2: The way up to seven hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 5: In charges over my plans STARTA. I was obviously devastated, especially because I was only using my phone because I was waiting for what turned out to be a proposal surprise. Disputed it with Optus and they credited the seven hundred and fifty dollars, and they also had a great customer service during the process.
Speaker 7: And you got why the game?
Speaker 2: You got engaged? Why why not more on this? What the heck?
Speaker 7: Sorry, I screamed before.
Speaker 2: Remember the time I did that in Dubai.
Speaker 5: Yess oh my god, yes, it was so bad, not a time.
Speaker 4: So like the phone plan that I had, I made sure it had roaming, so I was like, no, guys, like I have checked unequivocally, I have five dollars a day roaming.
Speaker 2: This is why I'm with this plant.
Speaker 4: It makes sense right above and beyond, Like I literally did my research. What I didn't do my research on was if you turn your phone on while you're in Dubai even though you're on your way to.
Speaker 5: Europe, doesn't count.
Speaker 4: Doesn't count because Dubai was not included. And how much did we rack up? Like fifteen hundred dollars? I said to everybody, I was like, don't worry, I've got roaming five dollars a day using my pre intersting data.
Speaker 2: Jess, you tether Beck, you tell everybody tethered my phone use my data in our stopover.
Speaker 4: I think we spent like maybe because Dubai's are not cheap, Dubai was expensive. I think we spent like one hundred dollars at McDonald's between all of us. WHOA, so it cost me one hundred bucks at McDonald's, which is not a complaint. I was like, well, let's get it, about fifteen hundred dollars to sit in that McDonald's on our phone half.
Speaker 5: An hour while we waited for because we didn't want to talk to each other because we didn't want a flight.
Speaker 4: For like twenty hours we wereted. And then I was like, absolutely not Satan. I mean I did get out of it.
Speaker 2: It took a lot.
Speaker 5: Like Hayley jumped on the phone, had a.
Speaker 4: Little chat, but Hailey got engaged. Congratulations, Well what else have you got?
Speaker 5: Jess?
Speaker 7: Congrats?
Speaker 5: Next, I've got money in from Sarah, who said my money in is I bought the iPhone fifteen promacs for one hundred and eighty dollars.
Speaker 2: No, we didn't have.
Speaker 5: I traded in my iPhone fourteen pro for Oney ten and I signed up for a BYO plan with Vodaphone, which gave me another thousand dollars off the phone. Also, my work also gives us fifty dollars a month towards our phone plan money we oh, okay, furnessing the system. Well, g Sarah.
Speaker 4: We all want new phones in this team, but none of us are planning on buying them.
Speaker 2: Because we're all stingy.
Speaker 5: My phone is literally like destroyed and I'm still like, oh it.
Speaker 6: Is smash and yeah you've had that for like twenty thousand years.
Speaker 5: I'm waiting for like a bonus Flybys points or something. But anyway, Next, IP want money in from Ashley, who said money win. My partner asked me to do a budget for him so we can be better prepared for bills in the future.
Speaker 2: That would be so sexy.
Speaker 5: She also included a bonus cat pick for vd.
Speaker 2: We love I love that. She said, it's a bonus cat pick for vd.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 2: The other day, I was reading the Money Wins thread. It was on the pod.
Speaker 4: I actually used this as one of the money wins and someone literally was like, also, here's a picture of my dog.
Speaker 2: Because I know v will ask you.
Speaker 4: We laugh, like absolutely, I will thank you for knowing me so well.
Speaker 5: Guys. Next, I've got a book win from Alissa, who said I went to Dimmicks on the weekend to buy a book and they had boxes of her books for members. I scored three books which I've been wanting to read, with the back covers ripped off, but I saved about sixty bucks money.
Speaker 2: Win her books.
Speaker 4: How cute, poor little hurt books. Also, talking about cheap books, are libraries? Can we please make them trendy again? It is free? And also, jess and I worked this out recently. We should have worked this out a very long time ago, though, shouldn't we have? Jessica turns out authors get paid royalties when you hire books or do you borrow books higher books from the library, so like your author, your favorite author is not missing out when it's good when you, I guess, borrow books from the library. Although if you are an author, you actually have to sign up to that program yourself, and we hadn't so fun fact for everybody, it's a win for you, it's a win for the author. It is now a win for the author because I have now signed up tears program.
Speaker 2: But perfect.
Speaker 4: I think I love the most the fact that you know how some people are like, oh, I really want to support the author though like you are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't have to feel bad. That's great. Next, I've got a money win from Kira who said money Wind took all our bottles and cans to containers for change and got thirty dollars cash back to put in our special money box.
Speaker 2: See I wish that was available in what are they actually?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know when I feel like we must be getting closed. I think it was this year.
Speaker 2: We're going to be crazy at the recycling bins in the office.
Speaker 5: I'm going to be that brown who says to everybody, give me your hands, give me your hands.
Speaker 2: I want to get a can crusher so that you can stack more in your car.
Speaker 5: Just I want to set like a ridiculous goal. Do you remember. I remember a few years g I saw a girl paid for her wedding by recycling cans, and yeah, I remember seeing the article. And she would go to like her local like pubs and stuff and be like, hey, like, O'll clear out your recycling things for you if you can meet permission. They're like yeah, so, and she paid for like their full wedding by collecting cans and bottles. And I wouldn't go that, but I think it would be really fun to be like, I want to set this huge goal car, yeah, something like that, and then just save a bunch of cans.
Speaker 4: If you've ever done that, can you please slide into our dams so we can get you on the pod.
Speaker 5: I feel like that would be so fun. So and then lastly, I've got a money win from kai who said money win. I cashed in some Velocity Frequent Flyer points for a free cruise with Virgin Voyages. What how many points?
Speaker 7: WHOA?
Speaker 5: I don't know, and I got an awesome points conversion rate five cents per point equals winning.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, sick how good is that.
Speaker 5: I never even knew you could do that.
Speaker 4: Okay, So the other day, Gabby and I so like, I have the seven eleven app, and as you guys know, like, irrespective of the fact that I am a seven eleven ambassador, I believe I got this position because I worked so hard at seven eleven during my free time.
Speaker 2: Anyway, saw on the app the other day that.
Speaker 4: If you bought a sausage roll, you got one hundred Velocity Frequent Flyer points, and sausage rolls that day were a dollar. So I basically got one hundred Velocity points.
Speaker 2: For a dollar and a free sausage roll, is how we saw it.
Speaker 5: Yess exactly right. Anyway, phenomenal is that's a crazy cut. That's everything I've got.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: I feel like that is a very good welcome back to the Friday Drinks episodes.
Speaker 2: Please don't give us again.
Speaker 7: Please don't go anywhere we were going.
Speaker 5: We go to America and approximately.
Speaker 7: But that's okay, Okay.
Speaker 4: Beck's going to miss us because we're going to do a few episodes without Beck.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Beck, we love you, but you're coming to America.
Speaker 5: That really hurts.
Speaker 6: You've got important things I dot the acrass so sorry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we've been nominated for a pretty big award, Beck. We have been nominated for Podcast of the Year Big Dog Energy. But both jess and I are out of the country, so we thought this.
Speaker 5: Is the second year in a row. This is we haven't been during the last year we went to Europe. There was like two different awards ceremonies the same night that we had to.
Speaker 4: Fly out, and I had to prayer record all my videos and stuff in case I won, And it was the most awkward experience because you're like recording this video.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much, like.
Speaker 4: I'm so grateful to have one when you didn't know you were winning or not, and so I wish I had not. We did end up winning, which was very cool. But hopefully we come home with a win because you're going all the way to the Acress to represent the ses on the Money team.
Speaker 6: It's a big responsibility on my shoulders.
Speaker 5: Looking forward to a fun selfie of you.
Speaker 2: With a trophy.
Speaker 5: Hopefully. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: He goes across to knock on wood, don't don't jinx at Jessica, but to your side of the table, Miss Beck.
Speaker 2: What if you got when it comes to broke tips.
Speaker 7: Yes, okay, so broke tips. I always get a little bit nervous.
Speaker 4: I don't know, because you're like, these tips are so good they're gonna blow people's minds.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: I do hope these coming useful.
Speaker 6: The ones that people send me are always really good, and my ones are always a little bit silly. But let's give this a go. So the first one comes from Charlie. I think this is a really great tip. So Charlie says, for friends birthdays, for a cheap and meaningful present, go to kmart or office works or wherever. If you have a printer at home, sick in print off photos of them. You can print off a bunch of small photos for like fifteen cents each, or one big poster, or you could like you know, make little canvases or.
Speaker 5: Like stick little that's cute pictures and cards.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and like, for example, my friend made me this board game was amazing, you know, the Game of Life. Yeah, every single card in the deck was like a different thing that happened in my life. I'll have to like send photos or something because it's like it's unbelievable, Like it's incredible. And I don't know how much it would have cost. I don't imagine too much printing in that time.
Speaker 4: And the research and the thought, oh my gosh, the best present I've ever.
Speaker 7: Heard of, totally.
Speaker 6: And for my best friend's birthday, I got everyone in our friend group and every one of her friends to send videos like a little happy birthday message, and I cut it all up together and.
Speaker 7: That was free, and so she loved it.
Speaker 6: So something like that, like if you worried about someone's birthday coming up, you don't have to spend any money, but you do have to spend some time.
Speaker 7: So that's one.
Speaker 4: Well, if you remember one of our Friday Drinks episodes, I forgot Jess's birthday, so there was that you.
Speaker 7: Could also just forget the birthday.
Speaker 4: That was literally my worst moment. Now I can provide some context to that. I was so sick and so pregnant, and nobody knew and I sounded like a terrible human being because I was like, oh no, now I forgot Jess's birthday as well. Everyone's going to think I am the devil. No moth days are my favorite. I still carry a lot of guilt about that.
Speaker 7: Beck Oh, have a lifetime to make up for it.
Speaker 5: She cried. No, I cried because I felt bad for making you feel bad, not because not because you forgot my best.
Speaker 2: Did you cry?
Speaker 4: Though you cried, I made you cry because I forgot your birthday.
Speaker 7: It's a good way to frame it.
Speaker 2: What else have you got?
Speaker 4: Bet?
Speaker 6: So the next one comes from Alex, who says, where possible, try and enroll in some free courses or cheaper so sort of like tafe courses or college courses before committing to a union degree because obviously, you know, it's like a big, you know, expense, it's a big debt to have. We don't want that ideally, and you could do this in many ways. There was a thing where like a few tafe courses were free.
Speaker 2: Courses are now free. Yeah, and so Jess and I tried to.
Speaker 4: Enroll in the Oslan tafe course, but we couldn't like commit to it because it was in person only. It was only a one or two places, like, it wasn't as accessible as we would have liked, because obviously we're crazy busy, but that's on our list of to do things, and that one's free.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's that's exactly right. So try and commit to that way possible. You could even just jump on like YouTube always have really cool the places where you can explore like there's this one have.
Speaker 7: You heard of dad? How do I or how do I know it's the guy that it's a dad?
Speaker 2: Is it actually just you see? And I think it's really cool.
Speaker 6: That's like more so if you want to get into, like you know, maybe different trades, like do some handy work around your own house and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: But just like exploring different things.
Speaker 6: For committing to something that's such a big amount of debt is probably you know something that you would.
Speaker 4: Also you could upscale without having to like you know, quit your job or take more time. There's a website called called Sarah dot org oh which is one of my favorite resources now that you've mentioned it, And it actually has different units, so not full degrees, but different units from universities all around the world. We're talking like Harvard and Oxford and like literally the big universities. I know that r MIT here in Melbourne contribute and so does Melbourne University and the University of New South Wales, like literally all the big unis and you can go do like a data science unit that could help you upskill at work or like literally financial literacy units or whatever you want to do, and you get a certificate at the end so you can pop that on your LinkedIn.
Speaker 2: Isn't that cool? That's great and free. We love a free course.
Speaker 4: I think the only thing that is paid about that is obviously you could put on your LinkedIn that you've done it. But I think you do have to pay for the certificate if you want it sent to you.
Speaker 2: Sure, I don't need the certificate. It's a good thanks for the free course.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I feel like if more people did that before they started a university degree, the rate of people changing courses would drop significantly because almost every single one of my friends, as you guys know, I didn't go to university, but I think every one of my friends but maybe one that went to university changed courses and that costs them a huge amount money because you feel so much pressure to go to university when it might not even be the right fit for you. Yeah, and you're making a choice not really knowing what you like or what you enjoy and totally so then people start studying and they go, oh, actually, you know, it's what happened with you'at like you studied psychology and you're like, oh, actually this isn't it and you moved into finance one hundred percent, And I think it's so important to kind of I don't know, I feel like this is a whole other conversation outside of broke tips, just that there's so much unnecessary pressure to get a higher education when honestly, so many times you don't need it, Like it depends what you want to do.
Speaker 4: Obviously can get you ahead. You obviously can't go and become a neurosurgeon if you don't have a degree, Like that's not going to fly. But like, look at Jess's career. I think she's killing it. I mean I'm biased because she works for me, but like Jess never went to UNI and he is now the head of partnerships, Like killing it.
Speaker 7: Done very well, proud of you.
Speaker 2: She's also a podcast superstar, So there's that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, waty, what's your breake tip though?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yeah, we want to know yours.
Speaker 6: Okay, So my broke tip this is for if you're not wanting to spend any money and you have some random bits and pieces in your house, do Yeah, that's exactly what I.
Speaker 7: Think a lot of people relate.
Speaker 6: Some people literally don't have anything, and that's you know, it's not okay, but like that's a reality for some. But if you have even a few dollars to grab some really basic things from Woolworths or wherever there's an app or a website. One is super cook and one is food Wise, I'm sure there are way more out there where you can just basically jot in your ingredients, random ingredients. So you have one cup of pasta and some random tomato sauce and something else, and you're like, I don't want to spend any money. I'm just going to use what I have here, and you chuck it all in there and you search for recipe. Yeah, and then it'll like tell you what you can make with those ingredients.
Speaker 7: So I love the hat.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So you don't actually have to go out and spend anything. And you know, sometimes you go out and you have something in mind that you want to buy and you end up buying like your hundredth bottle of Cuman because you don't you forget that you have it a home. Instead of doing that, you just you stay at home, you look through cupboards, you chuck everything into this website and it'll generate a recipe for you, and.
Speaker 5: You're saving on food waste.
Speaker 6: You're saving on food waste exactly right.
Speaker 5: So that's my one. That's a really good one, really really good one.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Thank you, Jazz. I feel so happy.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 2: Can I add to that please?
Speaker 7: You can steal herbs, Yes, you can steal herbs.
Speaker 4: I mean not from the supermarket that's actually illegal, oh Gosha, I will uses cracking down on us, but literally from neighbors and stuff. So keep your eyes peel because I went on a big walk on the weekend and I walked past probably the biggest rosemary bush I've seen in my entire life.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, this is good to know.
Speaker 4: So coming up to Christmas, I actually this is a bit lame, but like I have a rosemary salt recipe that we might share with the community. Because you just buy you know, those like really big bottles. I think they're like a dollar of salt, like the table salt. Like we're not talking fancy, like you know, Himalayan salt flakes, like we kin'd of thought that that's fine.
Speaker 2: Iodized yeah, iodized salt.
Speaker 4: We get some of that we get some rosemary, we dry out the rosemary, we make rosemary salt that we can give as gifts at Christmas.
Speaker 2: So keep your eyes.
Speaker 4: Peeled for the next couple of months for a rosemary bush that you could maybe do.
Speaker 2: A little snippy snip off, snip, because.
Speaker 4: That could become a really thoughtful, heartfelt Christmas present that they could put on their steaks or their dinners or literally anything you can talk with it is so good. Yes, like literally rim your little margarita glass with some rosemary salt.
Speaker 2: Kiss, she's festive.
Speaker 7: Just don't trespass.
Speaker 2: Sorry, no, don't trespass.
Speaker 4: Only if it's like in a public garden or someone's front yard.
Speaker 7: Poking out the fence. It's yours.
Speaker 4: It's all yours somewhere the nature street picon exactly.
Speaker 5: Just over and at home listening knows. This means that Christmas content is You were the first one.
Speaker 4: Jessica is coeen of Christmas, and we have been brainstorming all year of like gift ideas that you can make that might be really cheap. So Jess and I have been hoarding this. Jess has wanted who for a very long time learn how to use a sewing machine, and I've been promising to teach her how to use mine, but have been putting it off because this year we're gonna make wheat bags.
Speaker 2: How we bags.
Speaker 5: That's so cute.
Speaker 2: I love a good wheat bag.
Speaker 4: And with some cheap material from like the opshop or something, and some wheat that you get at the pet store for like ten dollars for a ten kilo bag, you can make a heap of wheat PAGs as presents.
Speaker 2: I'm going to teach Jess how to do that.
Speaker 4: We've also got a number of different recipes like the rosemary salt I just mentioned, and a few other really fun things that are really cheap but really thoughtful that you could do for Christmas, because I just feel like Christmas is so expensive and it gives me so much anxiety. And I know I'm not the only one. There'll be some really good but we're going to get crafty. We're gonna get crafty. Yes, I like festia. I love yeah festive broke tips also on that before we move on and go to a break, I mentioned that we're going to do wheat packs, So keep your eyes peeled for some lavender bushes.
Speaker 2: You could borrow some stems from.
Speaker 5: Yes and if you have a broke tip that you want to share with back send it through to her or to the Shes and the Money Instagram because we love sharing yours as well as Backstone we love we.
Speaker 4: Might do a shout out on the Instagram stories today so that we can collect some more brogue tips to share as well.
Speaker 2: There, what do you reckon?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 7: Would love that? That'd be nice.
Speaker 2: Ah, They're my favorite.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to a really quick break and on the flip side, we're going to be talking about how will work credit card might impact your credit score, and we're going to be unpacking something you slid into our DMS about this week, we're chatting about being financially taken advantage of in a new relationship.
Speaker 2: So guys, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, everybody. Let's listen to this sweets money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 4: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas bo again small to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording, and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 3: Hi, she's on the money. I'm currently saving for a house, but I've also reached a position at work where I can have a work credit card. Having a work credit card will make things a lot easier for me. But I can't help but wonder how having this in my name will impact me? Will it impact my borrowing power or ability to have my own credit card one day? And what happens if my workplace doesn't make a payment on time. I'd love if you could help me with this or guide me to a place where I can find this information. Thank you.
Speaker 5: All I can say is, as the person who used to have to reconcile credit cards for a team of over fifteen people, don't be the person who doesn't keep track of their receipts. Keep your receipts, please, for the love of God, for whoever's doing that. Admin ha ha. I can't tell you how many times I'd be hey back if you gore your receipts and that person would be like, I'm just missing his life. Got maybe four of them, and I'm like, you have sixteen charges for oh no, keep track your receipts please.
Speaker 4: Sorry at daxed on my own podcast. That's why I beck. I don't know if you've noticed it. Anytime we ever go out for lunch or something and I like tap my card, they're like, do you.
Speaker 2: Want a receipt? And I'm like, no, Jess or that yell over my shoulder.
Speaker 4: Yes, and then she'll like snatch it, take it away because she's just like so sick of my shit.
Speaker 2: She's just like, how do you never remember? I'm like, oh, I just forget. I'm so sorry, Like I don't want the receipt, I don't need it, and she's like, it's a work expense. We've been doing this for years.
Speaker 5: So I just stop it.
Speaker 4: But let's get back to it. So, ultimately, it depends on the structure. You need to be very clear on who the corporate credit holder is. So in this circumstance, best example is my girls at work because Jess obviously does a lot of stuff that needs to be paid for. They have credit cards. Those credit cards have their names on them, but the corporate credit card holder is me. It will never be Jess's responsibility to pay off that debt. It is not in her name. Yes, she authorized the payment, but I am the primary card holder and she is the secondary card holder. So essentially, don't do this, Jessica. She could rack up as much as she wanted and it's my responsibility. It doesn't actually impact her credit score. It will impact my credit score if I don't pay it off, or my business's credit score. So it's really important to understand the structure of a credit card. If your employer goes, hey, Jessica, you need a credit card to work here to do you know payments?
Speaker 2: Can you go get one?
Speaker 5: Nah?
Speaker 2: No, I can't.
Speaker 5: Red flag.
Speaker 4: Red flag, absolutely not because for me, that should never be in Jess's name because it is not her responsibility. I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about reimbursements as well, like Jess can probably talk you through how I feel about that, but I do not like it when my team has to be financial out for an expense that is for my business that is not on Jess like. And I find that so wild because I used to work in consulting, and I used to travel a lot for my culture and engagement work, right and It used to drive me bonkers that I would have to have a credit card for work to put a hold on the hotel room that I was staying in, And I mean I always.
Speaker 2: Got it back.
Speaker 4: But like as you guys know a little bit about my money stories, I was in lots of debt. Money was scary, money was overwhelming. I didn't have that much of it. And for a credit card company to put one hundred dollars or two hundred dollars hold on my credit card, that mean I couldn't use it because I didn't actually have any more space on it. Yeah, I'd always make sure that I had enough space on it so that I could work, But that should not have been my responsibility. It should have been at my employer's responsibility to give me a work credit card so that I could function and work for the business, because that wasn't an expense that I had. I also used to have to keep track of all my meals and then submit my receipts to get paid back for them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which particularly because most companies reconcile monthly like I was doing those credit cards that I was talking about, like on a monthly basis, that means for a full thirty ish days, you're without those funds, you're not occurring interest on those funds, Like that's a long time exactly.
Speaker 4: The money that I've made is no longer making money because it's not setting in a high interest savings account or in my investment or whatever. And that's actually an opportunity cost that you're missing out on. And I don't think that's good enough. But also, if Jess has to travel for work, is it just this responsibility to pay for the room?
Speaker 5: I would say arguably not, but I have I have a very good no.
Speaker 4: But also it's a simple structure because at the end of the day, if your business is saying, oh, will reimburse you, they're saying they've got the money for it to begin with.
Speaker 2: Just change your structure. It doesn't cost you anymore.
Speaker 4: In fact, Jess having a credit card makes me points, so like I get points on all of the transactions and Jess doesn't. Whereas if Jess was using her personal card, which she might want you because she's obsessed with bloody velocity points. I swear to God, she waits until she can get the most amount of velocity off frequent flyer points.
Speaker 2: Like this woman is.
Speaker 4: Crazy like flybys in her two peas in a pod.
Speaker 2: Best is Yeah, like I can't, like she wants the points. No, no, no, they're for me. Sorry yeah, okay, sorry, yeah, but.
Speaker 4: I think yeah, I guess back to the question, you need to understand the structure. Obviously, if your employe is asking you to get a credit card in your name to pay for that, I think that's a red flag and you should say no, Actually, can you please make me an authorized card holder on one of the business accounts because it's actually not your responsibility. Yeah, great, great, great, not your responsibility and not your responsibility. No, absolutely no. If no, she didn't give us enough context. So that's why I'm saying there's probably two different structures. And I mean lots of businesses operate on the reimbursement model, and I mean I don't want to throw too many under a bus. Yes, I don't think it is technically too fair, but it's also a trust thing. Like a business might not be that comfortable issuing Jess with a credit card because she could wrap up a heap of debt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially you're a brand new employe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're a brand new employee, you haven't passed like probation or something. They might go, oh, you have trouble for work, will reimburse you, And that's their way of making sure that you're not taking the mickey out of a work credit card and like protecting themselves and like covering their own risks. So it's a bit of a double edged sword because you can see where it's coming from. But from my perspective, why are you hiring people you don't trust? Weird flexwit?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 6: True.
Speaker 5: Also, about five minutes ago, I would just like to clarify you said, nah can't. I heard the same thing just for anyone listening at homegoing Victoria Divide. You said, nah can't. But just you're in a bit of a you're in a bit of a flow and oh my god.
Speaker 2: My parents don't listen to this podcast. Don't get cancels.
Speaker 5: We're marking it as a clean podcast. A n y alkay.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess it's time to move on to our community d m P. This week we had a brilliant community call out. We received a DM and it sounded a lot like this because I'm reading it for Betam so.
Speaker 2: It said I need some advice girls.
Speaker 4: My mum has started dating a new partner after years of being single.
Speaker 2: Get it, Mum.
Speaker 4: She seems really happy, but is totally naive to the fact that this person is taking advantage of her and her money.
Speaker 2: They have been in.
Speaker 4: A relationship for about eight months and the partner has already moved in with her. Her partner does not contribute any rent, nor paid bills or groceries. They have gone on holidays and Mom has paid for the entire thing, and she always pays for their dinners out. This person has a full time job, so I don't see why they can't contribute equally to this relationship.
Speaker 2: I think she's blinded by her new found happiness.
Speaker 4: And companionship, and I'm really worried she's putting herself in a bad financial situation, as it's not sustainable to her to support both of them. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I feel like I need to say something. Do you have any advice on how I could navigate this conversation?
Speaker 7: So tricky?
Speaker 2: This is very tricky, so spicy.
Speaker 5: It's hard because to me, there's kind of two elements to this, like if it was your friend, if it was your mum, if it was someone, if it's anyone you know, I think, and you care about them, you want to flag these things with them, and you want to in this situation, definitely, I think go about it in a kind and gentle way. The other side of it is, you also can't tell somebody how to spend their money or how to live their life, and what from the external might look like someone being taken advantage of if they're aware of these expenses, if they're conscious of them, there is also the possibility that they are happy with that arrangement. And I think like it's the daughter's job to say, hey, like, have you thought about the implications of this, what's the plan long term? Have you given it any consideration? Because I just want to make sure that you're going to be okay and that you know, things are somewhat equitable or equal. But then at the same time, for example, if the mum earns heaps more than the partner, maybe she is going, oh, well, I'm really happy to pay for these things because I like these certain things. I've become accustomed to this lifestyle as a previously independent woman. So it's kind of like, I think you should absolutely have a conversation because I think in any circumstance like this, you're better off flagging a potential risk than not, because you would hate to not flag it and then have it go badly. I think if you love someone, you should always be comfortable bringing these things up, and I think that needs to be done gently and with kindness and in a way that is supportive, not aggressive or you know, a bit like what are you doing or anything like that. I don't think that's well.
Speaker 4: I think we need a bit more context around the relationship, because do you have like beef with this dude that's come in like already, like you're already talking to Mum being like I don't really like him, he takes advantage of you, but you haven't really mentioned the financial part, and then this is like another layer. If so, it needs a bit more of a balanced conversation. Or is this something where you're like, oh, here's a really great guy, but also Mum, by the way, So I think it's there's a bit more context that needs to play into it. But as you said, Jess, I think if you're in a circumstance where you love and trust someone, I would always bring it up. I'm the type of person that I'd prefer you to be mad at me for me caring about your well being. Like if I thought Jess was in a situation that I didn't like. I know, Jess is probably not going to like me bringing it up, but I'd be like, hey, I just feel like X y Z, And same with you, Beck, Like I would bring it up even if it made you a little bit mad at me, because I would prefer to be in a circumstance where you're mad at me, but you're safe and you're happy and you're being respected, And I think that that's where it comes from, because that's how I would frame it. I'd be like, hey, Beck, I know you could think that I'm really overstepping here and it's totally none of my business, but I can't get it off my mind. Here are my thoughts and feelings. Do what you wish with them, and I think that that's it. But not everybody is like that. Yeah, I think it's a hard situation to navigate.
Speaker 1: What would you do?
Speaker 7: But it is a hard one.
Speaker 6: Actually, I think I want to be a sugar daddy, so this is a situation where but so it might be this situation where someone wants to be you know, financially submissive or whatever the term is. They could be that exactly what you're saying. Yes, maybe not exactly what kind of king. Maybe it's king we don't want to yuck anyone's yam. It could be that situation. But also, and this kind of comes from I listened to the podcast Something Was Wrong. They talk about a lot about like abusive relationships and sometimes financially situationally like it's my favorite podcast, and so I guess, like, I mean, sorry, other than this one, Nope, that this is extremely awkward.
Speaker 7: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 6: But obviously without saying but no, but they do talk about this kind of thing, and I guess like, so this is more not really financial advice. This is more just like emotional and relationship advice. So exactly as you guys are saying, definitely, you know, bring it up. But as long as the person, as long as your mum in this situation knows that you will always be there no matter what happens, and if and if she is staying with this person, if she is in a bad situation, if she says with a person for many many years, you will consistently, always forever be there as the safety blanket. Also, you know, when you're dating someone and there are some little red flags, so you don't start telling your friends about because you don't want them to dislike your partner. Yeah, so opening that communication and being like, hey, you're allowed event here and I'm not going to dislike your partner. Let's just talk about this person like the maybe have no chill, but let's let's remain completely indifferent about like who the person is and all this kind of thing. Just ye, just be I agree as like, put you know, as little pressure on them as possible, and just be consistent and be kind and exactly saying patient and open and hopefully they'll I mean they have to find their own way. If this is a problem, they'll have to find their own way out. They won't listen to anyone unfortunately most likely just being there for every step, and I think.
Speaker 5: Or sprinkling in some resources where relevant, like oh, like I listened to this really great podcast that talks about you know, financial money and relationships in the different ways that you can handle that. Or I saw this really great article that somebody wrote about equity and this and that, or just I think checking in like don't have the conversation once and then be done with it. I think if you're worried, people also do have gut instincts where protective of the people that we love. Monitor the situation from a little bit of a distance, and just keep an eye on it, and keep an eye out for any additional red flag, and don't be afraid to just check back in and be like, how are things going. Oh my gosh, Like I've read this thing and it made me think about you guys, or I just wanted to see how you were going with everything, because I think as well as you were saying, like, if it is a negative thing, if this is a potentially abusive relationship or a relationship where someone is being taken advantage of, it will potentially get worse over time. It might take them a while to find out how they feel, and maybe that's when they'll need help them. In those types of relationships, often the thing that the abuser does is cut off your ties to people. So yes, don't let them do that to you. But at the same time, as I said, that's not necessarily the case, Like it's really hard to know without observing what side of the table this falls on, And so I think it's for our listener, just about having the conversation and as you said, reminding their mum that they're there, and just keeping an eye on things the best you can, because also you're the child in this situation. There's only so much that you can do to parent your parent, you know what I mean totally.
Speaker 4: You said it really well before. You're not privy to the relationship, like and that's just it, Like you might see it as an outsider, but like Beck and I have this relationship and we've actually talked about it and I'm really comfy with it, and you just don't know that because to be honest, it's none of your business in a way, like why would your mum announce that? But I think the important thing here for me is really around the expectation, Like is that person expecting your mum to cough up every single time? Or has that been a pre I guess meditated conversation. Is that something where she's like, look, I know that you're saving or you're doing this, or you're doing that, and i'd love to pay more because I am actually super wealthy. Like if that's the case, then great, But I think it's about that expectation is he grateful for the contributions that your mum is making or is he just expecting it? Because I think that's really a reflective of the dynamic that the relationship has. And I think, yeah, people only hear what they want to hear when they want to hear it. So even if you say something to your mum now, don't be surprised if she doesn't want to take that advice or hear it. And then in a couple of months when maybe the relationship disintegrates, if it does, like you know, I'm obviously extrapolating that out, don't go I told you so. If she comes to you as a safe place to be like, oh my gosh, I can't believe he Xyz, don't go, oh well, I told you so. Like that's so unhelpful because sometimes people literally only hear what they want to hear when they want to hear it. And that's okay if it didn't come from you. So we obviously asked the community. We said, do do you know someone who has had a partner that was quote dating them for the money. I thought this wouldn't be many, but forty four percent of you said.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh my god, that's a lot wild.
Speaker 4: We said, if yes, were they aware that this was happening? Ninety three percent of you said they were totally naive.
Speaker 2: To what was happening.
Speaker 4: That makes sense to me, It makes sense, But that's probably why our community DM writer in ra is like, do I say something? Ah, yes, in this circumstance. If it was your mum, what would you do? Ninety five percent of you said I'd raise my concerns with her as soon as possible. And then we asked for your two cents, which is my favorite because I love your opinions. They are so colorful sometimes and I'm always like, wow, I didn't even think of that.
Speaker 2: So there's been a few really great responses.
Speaker 4: First one I want to read out was I was the person being taken advantage of. I was completely blinded by love, and I wish someone had said something. Yeah, someone else said, how did she know this guy isn't paying for stuff when she's not there? Is he maybe just transferring money after it and you're just seeing the credit card transaction take place?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 5: So that's smart. That's a good, very good point.
Speaker 4: That's smart because like I remember when I was dating my husband at the very start like he would just transfer me and I would just transfer him, and like then it got to a point where we weren't transferring each other. I was just like, Oh, just get the next one, right, ran. That's kind of like how the relationship progressed. But if you know, Jess, you came out with me, right, Let's pretend I took you out on a third Wheel weird date and Steve. I would pay for you both because you're my friend, if that makes sense. So like your experience might be that I pay all the time, But why would Steve pay for you if you were invited by me?
Speaker 5: If you or my mom, that makes way more sense. It's like an example too in the context of this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: That's where I was like, hold up, hold up, Maybe you're only seeing that because whenever you're out for dinner, she pays because it's two to one, right, all right.
Speaker 2: Someone said someone needs to send her that she's on the Money podcast.
Speaker 4: Oh bless I agreed, thank you, thank you, not to beck though it's not her favorite.
Speaker 3: Of it.
Speaker 4: Someone said, this is a really big red flag. I was in this circumstance and it turned into financial abuse. Someone said, please say something from a place of love, and then whatever happens is they're not on her from then on in. Someone said, sisters before misters, tell her how you see it, and then give her a chance to reflect. Someone else has said, so the rearing I guess outcome here is please communicate. Someone said, communicate your concerns and ask how their new partner is actually contributing financially or contributing at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was going to say that before actually, when you were talking about not seeing the things that they're doing, Like, what if it is one of those relationships where perhaps if someone who's better off, they contribute in other ways, because there are other ways you can contribute to relationship that aren't necessarily financial.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very very true. I've got one more and I like this thought pattern. Ask your mom for some advice about your quote friend who happens to be in this situation and see what she.
Speaker 5: Says, cool, very good idea, and.
Speaker 2: Be like, oh boom, mum, it's actually you, you're the friend. I kind of like that.
Speaker 4: It's it also takes a little bit of the aggressiveness of the conversation away. Yes, talk about beck, Yeah, talk about Victoria, talk about Jess, your friend Victoria has this issue, what do you do? And then maybe it might prompt a conversation about her situation, or maybe you'll leave it for a week or two and then you go back and be like, hey, Mum, I was just reflecting on that talk to my friend and it just reminded me of your circumstances. You're okay, yeah, And then at least she's had a seed planted, and that could be a really great place to start, because honestly, no one likes being blindsided by harsh conversations. And I've said this a million times on the podcast, like, if I need to have a hard conversation with my partner, I will message him or tell him that that conversation is coming up so he can prep Or if there's a really big decision that we need to make, I think it's unfair if in my head I'm like, all right, well, we need to make this really big decision, and I spend a whole heap of time, energy and effort researching it and understanding it, and then I go to Steve and go, hey, by the way, we need you xyz. And this is the outcome. He hasn't had that prep time. That's not fair. So maybe you know planting the seed is a good thing. Yea many additional things before we run away, my friends.
Speaker 7: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I love it all right. Well, this has been a good EP.
Speaker 4: Thank you for joining us once again for our Friday episode of celebrating you, our beautiful community.
Speaker 2: We will see you one Monday, fresh and bright for a money diary. But till then, have the best weekend, My loves my gods.
Speaker 5: Bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 4: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper P T y lt D A B N three two one is six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFS L four five one two eight nine