Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud your the Order Kerni Whalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. I'm sick today, but we're still showing up so that next week the rest of the team will also be sick. Today, my friends, is Friday, which means it is time to get my little soon to be sick team together and celebrate you our incredible She's on the Money community Today, Mis j Just Grich is going to be sharing our favorite money wins and confessions from the community. Miss Bech Sayed is going to be sharing her broke tips and our newest jingle. We're going to be helping to answer juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about how to just start saving. And we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about and this week we're talking about whether you should prioritize a good culture at work over a good salary.
Speaker 4: Miss Bech sayed, how has your week been?
Speaker 5: High?
Speaker 1: V D?
Speaker 4: Good? Good week? What have I done? I can't remember it better? I think you can't remember it. No, it's been really quiet. Actually it's been a real quiet, chill, wholesome week.
Speaker 2: You know that's good. Sometimes juice, no juice at all. I'm going to try and talk as little as possible in this episode because I sound terrible. Oh gosh, ten out of ten can recommend. I'm not even actually sick. I just had croup and I have a what would you say, a remnants of croup cough or very attractive if you're thinking, wow, V I thought that only Toddler's got croup.
Speaker 4: Gone wrong?
Speaker 2: You thought wrong? Toddler's and Miss Victoria Divine get croup. It's very attractive.
Speaker 6: Jessica, how have you been this week I've been good just bopping along. I had so much fun this morning because we got to test our friend Sammy's new workout regime. And I've said before not a Jim Gurley right, not the vibe, not for.
Speaker 2: Me very I did convince you one time to do a pilates class via zoom during lockdown.
Speaker 6: This is a vibe that Sammy's thing gives me because there's a whole forty five minute thirteen song workout and so, like I have, I'm sore today, I ache, I really am in a lot of pain. But I bought the thing because friends port friends and buy their friends stuff. You don't expect it for free. And I had a lot of fun and I'm so excited looking forward to getting back into exercising again without feeling embarrassed. And there's heaps of other stuff on there, but yeah, little plug, she's our friend.
Speaker 2: Oh good, And it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: If you're someone who just likes to dance around and you lounge and have a good time and call that exercise, you know what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's an absolute legend. We'll actually put a link in our show notes so that you can still love that. Yeah, Well, I mean it wasn't so that she could love it. It was actually so that our community could love on her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so we can find it easily.
Speaker 2: Do you know what. I had a bit of a conundrum this week. I had a lot of email replies to our newsletter last Friday. So today is Friday, which means that about lunchtime, probably more close to three pm. Because that's how I roll at the moment, I will send out our newsletter. And last week I did the same thing. I was sitting on the plane on the way back from Sydney and I was like smashing out the newsletter and I thought I was so funny because this week I recommended my favorite food, which you do will know is frozen mashed potatoes, absolutely amazing, and I was trying to sell the community on them real hard. I was like, they are the best thing in this entire world, right, and if you haven't subscribed to our newsletter, well you're in for a shock. It's not that much about financial literacy. It's relatively rogue. Yeah, we recap the week that was, Yeah, we have money tips and tricks, but there's also Victoria's unsolicited recommendation where it's very unsolicited, and to be honest, my aim with that is to waste as much of your time as possible. So fun way, yeah, in a fun way. And you know what, I've probably had fifteen dms this week from people being like, ve these spash potatoes changed my life, and I'm like, I know, that's why I recommended it. But at the end of that recommendation I said that I had been eating it with a side of dead horse. I can see how that would confuse a lot of it.
Speaker 7: Ah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so we've had aren't you a vegan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've had a fifty plus email response from people being like the not only did we think that you didn't eat meat, but also horse listing choice, interesting choice.
Speaker 4: And to confirm that it is in fact dead.
Speaker 2: And I was very confused because I thought it was just a term that everyone's, you know, parental figure used to refer to tomato sauce. Is this something that I had just been living and nobody else had been living or had you heard of the concept of dead horse being tomato sauce?
Speaker 4: No? I had never you my dad had.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure it's Cockney, which is English, and my dad is English, so that might be yeah the writing slang. I think it is something like that, which is, yeah, you just replaced like the starts of like Shmiler Twift, like you just you, You're replacing it with something else, Tomato sauce, dead horse.
Speaker 2: You knew what I was talking about. I thought everyone would know what I was talking about. Turns out I off ended a very large population of our community, for which I do apologize.
Speaker 4: I was actually referring.
Speaker 2: To tomato sauce. Also, I did think, up until this week that everybody in every family called the catalogs that are put in your mailbox unsolicited were called cattle dogs. Oh I haven't heard that much never Okay, so it's just me and my dad from Tasmania that use this type of terminology. I will continue to use this type of language in the newsletter to confuse you. I mean, it's probably just really good for engagement, but it's probably just letting you in on the side of me. That's maybe a little bit more Bogan than you thought it was. And I'm not mad. So let's move on, because I want to know, Jess. I feel like that was a loss for me this week. But how has our community been winning?
Speaker 6: So the first one this week comes from Ebody, who said money and life win. After months of searching, I had a new housemate move in. Now I'm no longer paying three hundred and seventy dollars a week rent solo and she's absolutely lovely and he's going to help me look after my cat while I'm away next week visiting family. Have you more money and have a little bit more flexibility to say yes to things like the cheeky coffee during the week.
Speaker 2: Oh and your cat's probably going to be happy with someone they know, extra company. We love a cat win.
Speaker 6: My next money win comes from Alana, who said money win after cheers is a regular casual at my job. My boss has given me a full time contract to start once my maternity lea finishes. And it's so much more than I was going to ask for, so that's also a nice positive congrab cool, very exciting. My next money win is from Tess, who said money and a heart win. Instead of buying expensive flower decals for my daughter's bedroom when I was redecorating, I was looking at spending one hundred and fifty to two hundred dollars, I decided to get creative and paint the flowers myself twenty six dollars in paint from Bunnings later, and the end result has far exceeded my expectations. And my darling baby girl now gets to go to her room every night and touch the flowers and giggle and smile. And I was just like them all something I've ever read.
Speaker 2: That she DMed it to me as well. I loved it so sweet and protein.
Speaker 4: If you're doing something like that, don't buy a big tub of paint, buy a sample pot. Sample pots go a long way, and they're like eight bucks.
Speaker 2: A pot, genius. If ever I need to do di y anything, Beck, I actually just called Jess weekend. I don't care. Yes, I need your tips and tricks.
Speaker 6: I live for it. And I'm very excited to see all the stuff that you start doing in your Renno.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't even start me. It is so overwhelming. And when she says see, she means what you do the things I told you to do, Victoria. Oh wait, I'm gonna last that she means. That's exactly what she means.
Speaker 4: Beck.
Speaker 6: Next, money means from Maddie who said money win. There were thirty nuggets in my twenty four nugget, Pat.
Speaker 4: What that is a money win?
Speaker 2: Big win? All right? But at what point do you stop counting how many nuggets are in the nugget box?
Speaker 4: I've never counted my nuggets?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Did she sit down and count thirty or did she count her bite?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: How did you just?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you're buying that many, maybe you're sharing them and you're splitting them up, and so you start fifteen.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, money, I split a twenty four pack.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry to avenge you that way.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Beck, have you never shared a twenty four pack of nuggets? It's something so one of the true joys in life.
Speaker 4: Wow. I hope you try it one day.
Speaker 2: I hope one day you experienced that type of joy.
Speaker 4: I just said fifty. I don't know if she's talking about fifty pack on the road and that's okay. Oh you'd split a fifty, Sure you'd slit a fifty, but not a twenty four, but not a twenty four.
Speaker 2: Can you buy a fifty pack of nuggets? I think that no idea, And I'm I'm sure you could purchase fifty nuggets, But like a box, do you just go to Macas and be like, Hi, yep, I'll get the fifty nugget pack and they're like, sure, I'm concerned. Move on, Jessica, what else have you got?
Speaker 6: Next up, we have Morgan who said money loss slash money in recently purchased a sewing machine for my husband and I to build some more skills and handmake some projects and clothes through our daughter. We took advantage of a sale at Spotlight and got over four hundred dollars worth of fabrics and patterns for only seventy.
Speaker 2: Three How good is that? Do you know what? Another hot tip is if you're looking for fabrics op shops genus tablecloths, sheets, literally old off cuts of fabrics always end up there and they are so cheap. So if you've got like a project, maybe want a little bit of a different fabric, or you're just testing, off to the upshop, you go. My friend, I want to know how Morgan, you're planning on learning? Is there like an online thing? Because I've always wanted to learn and it's hard to find somewhere to go and learn as an adult. But I'll just teach you. I've already said I'm going to teach Jess how to sew properly because she drops off her pants to me, and then I take up the ymns and return them because heming pants is really expensive. And we save money in any way, shape or form that we can in this team, and that includes making Victoria do your sewing.
Speaker 6: She does full service service, just drop it off, same day service.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, you've got to stay. We get rid of it. Yeah, she does it all.
Speaker 6: My last money in this week comes from Amy, who said I said it on a block of land and I bought a puppy.
Speaker 2: What a great week.
Speaker 4: Look at that face.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's very cute.
Speaker 4: Do we know that papo's name? No, it wasn't there.
Speaker 2: I did. Come on, guys, Come on, guys. If you're going to post a picture of your dog, I'm going to need all the information. How old is it? What is its name? What's his favorite trade? Where does it? Like it's belly rubs? Like I need all of that information. Otherwise you're doing this community a very big disservice.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's rude. It is rude.
Speaker 2: Do you know who's not doing our community a disservice? Antoinette?
Speaker 4: Oh yes, why well, Antoinette is one of our listeners, and she so kindly reached out with a really really catchy jingle for Bex broke Tips.
Speaker 2: When you say it really catchy, you mean it's the only one we got.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's the only one we got. Absolutely and also really catchy and not at all familiar. It's made up from scratch.
Speaker 2: I just want shmalish kind of vibes as.
Speaker 4: A shmaler smift kind vibe.
Speaker 7: Am.
Speaker 2: I just like play it. Please play it. Stunning, let's drop it into the microphone. It's time for the bes broke Tip jingle.
Speaker 7: B E C S b R ok tips E C S b r okay e tips.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: Stunning, amazing, amazing.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say no if somebody wanted to remix.
Speaker 4: That for us, I also wouldn't say no.
Speaker 2: But we appreciate it. I feel like that was a broke jingle. Oh yeah, that was brand so on brand. I traded into it, though, Beck, what have you got for us this week?
Speaker 4: Okay? So I've got I'll share two of them and then I'll share my own if that works for you. Love Okay. So the first Broke Tip is from Cindy Hi. Cindy Hi, Cindy who says that she goes to the Asian grocer when she's trying to stretch out her last fifteen dollars for the week.
Speaker 2: Smart, so she'll get.
Speaker 4: Like a sixty five cents to a dollar fifty packet of instant noodles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're cheaper there too, like very much cheaper.
Speaker 4: You can probably get something similar from always, but never like sixty fives.
Speaker 2: No, that's not a thing anymore, but it is the Asian grocery.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And she gets a generous bunch of Asian greens for a dollar. That's insane.
Speaker 2: Dollar. That's actually quite a wholesome meal as well. Yeah, that's actually really good. It's really good. Gets your greens.
Speaker 4: Greens are good because by the dumpling rappers too.
Speaker 6: I used to always love getting like you get just a trey of mintce flak what are they five six barks and a thing of the rappers and a thing of your one dollar greens. We would make eighty dumplings one lot. It was crazy because yeah, it's so cheap, and so we would just freeze them, but really good. Way, like if you do that, stash them away, way cheaper than ordering them.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: Oh genius, that's a really I'm going to find Jessica's dumpling recipe. I'm going to get it in the newsletter. Oh stunning.
Speaker 4: It better be good, jess I've.
Speaker 2: Just said because it is cheap.
Speaker 4: What else you got? My next broke tip is from Rachel Hi.
Speaker 2: Rachel, So she.
Speaker 4: Says that her family by instead of so say you're making meatballs, instead of buying the mints and all the ingredients and everything separately, instead, what her family do They buy ten meat paddies from more words and then roll them into meatballs.
Speaker 2: So hey, that's smart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like that's a pretty good way to do it because it has all the ingredients in there for you literally just have to take. And also that it's pretty kind of spiced.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and could you split them back, because like a whole paddy to be one meatball, huge meatball?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you kind a couple of meatballs out of a paddy.
Speaker 2: That's great, that's a good idea. Adding to that, I remember when I was younger, Mum used to get the flavored sausages and squeeze it out of the sausage casing to put into like pasta bakes and stuff, so like kind of like meatballs, but like a sausage pasta, and therefore you didn't have to spend heaps on like seasonings and flavorings and stuff. So I like the idea of repurposing pre seasoned foods for other reasons.
Speaker 6: Yes, and then you can split it so that you get more mileage out of it, which is always a great thing.
Speaker 2: Well ten dollar meal right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love that. So my tip of the week.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we've been waiting left it till last.
Speaker 4: It's not going to be as dodgy as last week's. Yeah, okay, step up. I was going to tell you about my fipbit. As you guys can see here, I've got a fitbit that's stuck together with sticky tape instead of buying a new band. But that's not my broke tip for the week. It is a good idea, though.
Speaker 2: Is it sustainable.
Speaker 4: It's sustainable. This has lasting me two weeks.
Speaker 2: Oh impressive. It's pretty good.
Speaker 4: And it has not even it's not slightly coming off. It's you know, just get really really good tape.
Speaker 2: Can you take the bit off or is it taped onto your wrist?
Speaker 4: You can, because when you come up here with.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 4: Unclip the band from the actual We're not green, right, You're a genius. Okay, if I ever have to remove that tape. Okay, she's thought about this. Sorry for questioning the logic. No, that's quite all right. Anyway, this one might be common sense to a lot of people, but is not that common That's very true. That's what we've learned lifetime. I'm assuming everyone has anyway. So what I do is I have you know, your woolwas rewards cards. You're literally any card that's out there that you can get your hands on, a one of those freebie cafe ten boucher, what do you call it? Coffee cards, coffee cards, anything where you could eventually one day get something free. Seven to eleven app which is something that I will talk about in one of our later episodes.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed with seven eleven sandwiches, so I can't wait, can't wait seven eleven app anything.
Speaker 4: But basically the reason why I say this is, for example, this week, I have ten dollars to spend on my Will Wars card. I won't be using that yet right now. I know that I will have no money in two weeks time, So that's when you will go into wool Wars. You have the ten dollars that you saved up from your everyday rewards card. Or let's say you have a free coffee on your coffee card. Don't use it when you have money, only ever use it when you are broke. Save it. You might be like, oh, what a treat. Don't do it yet, Wait until you have no money and you need that ten dollars on your everyday rewards card, or you need that free coffee because you truly have nothing. So save all of these things and also embarrassing having.
Speaker 2: All these Flybys cards, these rewards, empowering and.
Speaker 4: Only use them when you are broke. Please save them for yourself and you can put a lot of them on your phone. Woolworths and Flybys you both have them digital. So if you are embarrassed about having a million cars in a wallet, there's.
Speaker 2: A solution exactly right on the app. You're a genius.
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 2: All I can think about is I know what your salary is, and I know it's good. I just know that you don't budget and cash flow in a way that is super effective at this point in time, and that's fine. You do you like, we all manage money differently. But if you put the same energy into your budgeting cash flow system as you do into tracking your flybys and your free Woolworths ten bucks, like, my god, you'd be a rich woman.
Speaker 4: I do agree that if I put this much energy, but honestly your lives. But I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: But as I say, because I have been broke for so long, now that I've got good money, I can start buying things that I could never and so I end up being life breaking, even lifestyle creepy. It's kind of like a lifetile or like you know, debts and servicing cars, all these things that I couldn't pay for before. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, but eventually, it's not a judgmental comment. It's just I'm so impressed with your ability to work the system and make it work for you. Yeah, I'm like, that's so much energy and effort. I cannot wait to channel that into Beck's budget and cash flow system. At some point in the future, you and I are going to get to sit down and I'm going to be so excited. Today is just not that.
Speaker 4: Day till then.
Speaker 2: Till then we will continue on. Let's go to a really quick break, because on the other side of the break, I want to talk about how to actually start saving beck. Maybe you wrote this in and then we're going to unpack something that you slid into our DMS about which this week we're talking about whether you should prioritize a good culture at work over a good salary. Don't go anywhere, guys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back everybody. Let's listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 5: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 8: Hi, ladies, I am quite desperate to know how on earth to actually save money. I feel like I'm not overspending, but somehow every pay I seem to have all the intentions to save, and then something happens and I end up having to use that money. And I've just never been able to get on top. And I'm nearly forty and I have no savings, so I would really love your help on where to even just begin. Thank you.
Speaker 2: She sounds like the most wholesome human, Like I just want to like her tone of voice, the way she spoke made me want to be her best friend. I was just like, I love you already, I don't even know you, but so relatable. Yeah, I just feel like that is so common. Jess. You're a little savings queen, so I want to know where would you start when it comes to savings if you were starting from scratch.
Speaker 6: I feel like it sounds as though she does need to do the classic Victoria Divine method of going through her bank statements because it's the most hideous thing in the world. It's no fun at all. I'm not even going to try to lie to you about that.
Speaker 2: But that's why I always recommend wine. Yeah you can drink wine, yeah while doing it, because if you drink tea or something, but like wine probably will help the most.
Speaker 6: A bev Regina of some sort, bev Regena of choice. But I think because she's saying that she keeps getting to the end of payday and we've all been there where you go, oh my god, where did my money go? By going for three months of statements, you're going to see where the money's going. Right, You're going to have a very clear understanding of I'm spending more than I should on takeout or maybe like the you know, if you've got kids, like it's all going to the kids' activities, and that's not an expense that I can cut, which is totally fine as well. So I feel like understanding where you're spending allows you to then begin making changes to start saving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think that that's absolutely it. It kind of I want to go on and on about values here, and you guys know how passionate I am about living to your values, not what other people say you should be spending. But it actually just sounds like you don't have a clear idea of what your actual budget looks like. Because if you're thinking, oh, I put money away my savings, well, actually you didn't allocate what you needed to to the expenses you have. They were never savings. That was a pipe dream. Basically, that was like very aspirational and I'm so excited that you're prioritizing it. But every single month that you do that, you're going to feel like you're shooting yourself in the foot because you might be saying, I can save five hundred bucks, I'm going to put it to the side right now, when in reality, you might only have the capacity in your budget for one hundred and fifty dollars worth of savings. And that's okay. We just need to be aware of it so that when you allocate it, you don't feel like you're stealing from future you because that was never the money that you were able to save. If that makes sense, we need to sit down and go, Molly, friend, is this and bills are this, and groceries are this, and you know, the kids' activities are this, Well, actually what does that leave you with? And then that gives you the ability to reflect on whether you want to spend that or you don't want to spend that. You might go, oh my gosh, the kids are doing so much, no wonder we can't save. We're spending all our money here or there. Or you might actually find that you're in a season of life that's just really expensive right now. And we all go through those seasons where life just feels a little bit overwhelming. You're not, you know, making the traction that you want to make when it comes to saving or investing, and that's okay. I think sometimes it's really about just recognizing where you're at, making a step back and going you know what, I don't know about your situation. You might be your single mum absolutely killing it. You might not feel like you're saving a lot, but oh my gosh, you're putting food on the table, you're putting a roof over your kid's head. They're going to school, they are happy, they are healthy, and you know what, that's more than enough. I think sometimes we really need to put life in perspective because that season isn't forever. And maybe you're studying, maybe you know you're in between jobs, maybe you're in a job that you don't love and you're about to move to something else, or maybe you're considering what that next move even looks like. That's okay, But I think this idea of seasons of life is okay to understand but also empowers you to go, all right, well, let's just look at what I want today and how that might work and what that means for my financial future. But when people say at the end of each month, I'm dipping back into savings. That to me is an immediate flag that says you didn't understand what your actual cash flow and budget looked like. And I'm going to get hold of your email address, and I'm going to gift you my budget and cash Flow master Class because I know that it will help you, and I know that it'll put you in the best possible position. So my friend, watch out for that email because it's coming your way. Because I think that's actually such a relevant question. And I think I love that you told us your age as well, because I think so many of us, especially when we're young, we just go, oh my gosh, I'll have it sorted out. I'll have it. It's only going to get sorted out if you sort it out. It's not magic. It doesn't happen overnight. Do you know how many people in our community are in their forties, fifties, sixties, even seventies that we get dms from all the time that say, oh my god, b I have no savings. What do I do?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 2: We have to just go back to basics. There's no magic outcome. There's no magic wand or kind of solution that I can offer except for Hey, here's the process that you should go through that will put you in a position where you can fully comprehend what your next steps should be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that. Just on that, I am probably not the best person to be give advice because I currently have no I love their site. I did notice when I was saving back in the day, I would feel like putting ten bucks away felt pointless, but it was the only thing I could actually stick to. So even if at the end of your budgeting masterclass, you sit down, you do everything, you realize I only have fifteen dollars a month to put away fifteen dollars four exactly, and eventually that will that will grow I've started. I know this isn't your favorite thing, but I have a piggybank that I was just going to say, one of those money teas you can't love it, there's the best because you can. And like I know, it's not like gaining interest or anything like that. It's literally just sitting there losing value whatever. But if it works, the only thing works for me because I can't reach it, I can't transfer it back to myself. Only put a little bit away and put it somewhere where you literally cannot touch it.
Speaker 2: No, I think that's great, and I also think that there's no such thing as it's not worth it. Yeah, because I promise, even if it is fifteen bucks, I promised the day before payday, when you didn't have money before, you're going to be grateful that fifteen bucks was saved so that you can lean on it. It's fifteen dollars you didn't have before. So I just think that from little things, big things grow, and that fifteen dollars will turn into thirty, and that thirty into sixty, and that's sixty into one twenty, and very soon you'll see that compound and you'll be like, wow, I never thought I was capable of this. And the reason you were capable of it is because of the consistency. That's it. That's the magic. I really, I really wish I could be like, Okay, guys, I'm going to let you in on this top secret tip to saving money. It just doesn't exist, and it's going to look very different for everybody. And that's why you need a process that helps you understand what it looks like, because your process back is not going to look the same as ess and it's not going to look the same as mine. So why am I looking at the way you budget?
Speaker 8: Yess?
Speaker 4: Sorry, really good question. That's the fact that you're thinking about it is a really good thing. Love love, love love.
Speaker 6: If you want to get on top of your own budget and cash flow. WILL have a link in the show notes where you can check out Victoria's Budget and cash Flow master class. Over two and a half thousand people have done it, which.
Speaker 2: Is thousands, isn't that insane? Also will hide a little cheeky discount code in there. I am saying that right now, I don't know what it's going to be, so you have to go to the show notes.
Speaker 4: To check it out.
Speaker 2: By all right, let's unpack it. We have a community dilemma to go through this week, and I feel like this one, this one is an interesting one. Are you ready?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, any advice? I absolutely love my job. The culture and people are amazing, and I really enjoy the work I get to do. The issue is I get paid well below the industry standard. I work in finance, but at a smaller startup company. I have had many conversations around a pay rise. However, they always say there isn't room for this at the moment, and we'd revisit it in a few months. Problem is, a year later, nothing has changed. I've been offered a job that is more than double my current salary plus bonuses. However, the culture seems very corporate and very competitive, very long hours, and the work doesn't seem that interesting. I can already tell I won't love it there. How much should I value work life balance versus good culture at work? What I have now is awesome, but it doesn't allow me to meet my financial goals. But to meet these goals, I worry that I'd have to sacrifice the enjoyment aspect I have at work. I'm only twenty three and still new to working life, so any words of wisdom are appreciated.
Speaker 4: That's funny too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to go first on this one, Beck, What would you do words? Pretend you work in finance?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, it's so easy for me because I don't have any kids, I don't have a mortgage, I don't really have any outrageous financial goals. So I would literally just go with the culture culture, culture over anything else. If I'm happy, that's all that matters really. But it is a real tough one.
Speaker 2: It makes you.
Speaker 4: I assume you'd eventually be disenchanted with the workplace anyway, just because they're paying you so little. But if that's not happening, and you're happy and you love the people you work with, the culture is great, I would stay. But I don't have the pressures of yeah, children, mortgage, all these other things that people might have to you know, yeah, try.
Speaker 6: It comes down to your values, right, Like, yeah, it depends on what responsibilities you have, what you have going on. I would like to say, as someone who has worked in workplaces where the.
Speaker 4: Culture was pretty freaking average, stop talking about me. I'll do it.
Speaker 2: I'll do it the more quietly.
Speaker 6: No, but I've definitely done the thing where you take the job and you don't love it, but it pays the bills and puts food on the table, and that is good enough. I do think, yes, absolutely, in an ideal world, we deserve it all. We deserve great pay, great culture, a life that we live and love to the fullest. But can we also normalize the fact that sometimes your job is just there to pay the bills. Like, I don't think that there is anything wrong, and I think there is a little bit of an ideology that is sold that if you love what you do, you won't work a day in your life, which simply is I.
Speaker 2: Work so hard. You can hear it in my voice this week. Yeah I'm dead. You are dead. Yes, you have had a massive week as well. Yeah, like you just can't hear it as well in your voice, like I'm so sick because I've worked myself into the ground. Jess, I adore what I do. Everybody knows I adore what you do as bullshit, Like absolutely, if you love what you do, you will work harder than anyone else in your life. I think is what that should say.
Speaker 4: A thousand percent, And I think is your life more enjoyable?
Speaker 2: Is there? Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Like physiological benefits, psychological benefits to being in an environment where you feel supported and you're I am not refuting that, I'm not disputing it, but I think at the same time, if you're going I'm barely making ends meet, and that is stressing me out take the job that day. Like if someone said to me, you can double your salary, it's at least something I think you should entertain.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you always have the conversation, always have the conversation. And I'm not saying that that means that you should absolutely leave, Like you need to think about how would you cope if you were in a less positive environment, how would you deal with the change of culture. But you also don't know what culture until you get there. Maybe he's always greener, grass is always greener. Maybe you'll get there and you'll find a really great group of friends. And even though it's a super corporate environment that makes it worth well for you, maybe you won't and.
Speaker 4: You'll be totally miserable.
Speaker 6: Either way, I think it is worth considering, and it's worth going. It's not necessarily your job's responsibility to fulfill your happiness of your life.
Speaker 4: Just in the same way that it's not.
Speaker 6: You know, no one person can make your life totally happy and fulfill everything that you need. I think if a job has one of them do that for me. I agree, Lucy's the one thing on this planet that it fulfills all needs at all times. But I think that if you have one or the other, if you're happy or you're earning great money, maybe sometimes that's enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we can also cancel this idea that your job defines you as a person, Like I don't actually care what my friends do. I have friends who work in podcasting. I have a few friends who are very fancy and ethetists, like real fancy doctors. I have friends who work in retail, and I have one friend who is a state so mum. I have a friend who's currently not working because she create her job because her boss was a douche canoe basically, And I was like, yeah, queen, get it. I don't care what you do for your work. As long as you are kind, as long as you are nice, you are my people. So I think we need to just throw this idea that that defines you out the window. But then also, the tone of this message was really that you weren't unhappy in your job, and I think that that needs to I guess weigh in a little bit heavier. Yeah, we're talking about the financial aspect. But I know when I've been underpaid, I feel undervalued. And if I'm consistently going into a workplace that I feel doesn't respect me for the you know, the time, the energy, the effort that I put in the value that I'm bringing to this organization, I feel like that wouldn't have been the tone of voice of my message. Yeah, Like I feel like when you say you love the culture, like that goes a little bit further beyond just loving. You know, I love working with Beck because Beck might be the only thing that you love in that workplace and everything else sucks. But I think that we need to talk about culture as more holistically. Clearly, you feel valued in some way, shape or form. Maybe not financially at this point, and back to Beck's point, maybe you don't need that at this point in life. Maybe it's an experience, but I do think it goes back to having really wholesome, holistic conversations. I get the startup life more than anybody does. I've done it multiple times, and I've had to have conversations with people where I'm like, look, this is the budget for this job. Take it or leave it. I cannot stretch the budget any further for this. And thankfully we're now not in that position where I have to really really cap it. Now I can actually remunerate super super well. But often when you work for a small business, you are taking some level of compromise, and that compromise usually is salary to make up for that culture, to make up for the fulfillment that you get so you really need to have a think about, well, what is this to do and beyond financial gain, what are you getting out of this? Is this a job where you're getting way more experience out of this job, So if you've stuck it out for another year, you'll actually turbo charge what you'll earn in the future, versus going to a corporate job that might silo you into something where you know there's not actually a lot of gain after that. I think we need to look at the big picture, not the right now picture, because right now, Jess, if I said do you want to earn double your salary, you'd be like, yeah, that sounds sick, can yah, But you're not really thinking that. Hey, Jess, if you earn double your salary today, you're never going to earn another dollar for the rest of your life. Whereas if you carry on on this trajectory, you're going to earn ten times more in the next ten years. Like, I think we need to look at the bigger picture as well. It doesn't sound like you're super unhappy, so I'm rocking a hard place. I think you need to sit down and maybe even just do a pros and cons list. What are you about this list. Where do you want to see yourself in the next twelve months, in the next five years. It's okay not to know if you can't answer those things, But what do you actually want to get out of job beyond financial gain?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: One hundred cent?
Speaker 6: What did everybody else say? Because it seems like it's a bit split across the table.
Speaker 2: So this was interesting because you and I just were both on the I guess side of being like, sometimes you can just go to a job and it's absolutely fine not to love it, and they're done that. We asked the community, do you think it's important to enjoy work? Ninety seven percent of you said yes, three percent said no. We asked what do you value more in a job? Money and salary twenty eight percent, culture and work life balance seventy two percent.
Speaker 4: Huge people like to sit in the grass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. If you had two job offers, which one would you take? A lower salary but a great culture and work life seventy six percent, And at twenty four percent we said yes to a higher salary but poor culture and work life balance. There were so many comments on this as well. A lot of people had a lot to say. Someone said, I want the best of both worlds. Of course we all do.
Speaker 4: We all do.
Speaker 2: Sometimes not the most realistic thing to want. Someone said, time to negotiate if you've got another offer. Sometimes employers need a push.
Speaker 4: Also a relevant point.
Speaker 2: Someone else said, for a little bit more money, I would stay, but considering the offer is double bye.
Speaker 6: That's kind of how I feel.
Speaker 2: As someone said, as much as I love good work culture, you need to move companies and start earning more. Someone else said, take the job offer for one to two years. Then you can always come back to this job later with more experience and or pay. Someone said, there's always another opportunity for you. Maybe this isn't the right role, but you should be exploring a different one.
Speaker 4: That's a really good perspective.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: Someone said, use the other offer as leverage in your current job. Yes, you never know, but I also do think you need to be a little bit careful. So this is probably a spicy employer opinion. And Jess is laughing because she knows how I feel about this. I know this is going if I'm in a position where let's say Jess has interviewed with someone else and she's gotten a bigger better job offer. And let's say they're going to offer her double. Let's say I can afford to pay Jess double. I am an employer that believes that we should be having open, honest conversation about salary before you go external. If you're going external, I do genuinely believe that it is about more than money. So let's say Jess when external, I'm assuming me just paying her more is not going to mean that she stays ten plus years. I give it six months. I could double Jess's salary, but I guarantee she was looking somewhere else because she was disengaged with the job. She wasn't happy with my management, she wasn't happy with something I was doing. Because I know with the type of management I have, Jess would turn to me and be like, hey, there, can we talk about my pain? And I'd be like, yeah, do you want to grab coffee and have a chat. If you're coming to me to say, hey, v I've got this job offer, I want to counter offer. I'll be like, no, worries, take the job, as you've already left. In my mind, you've already been disengaged with the job, So that's right or wrong. As I said, spicy opinion from somebody who is an employer. I don't want to negotiate with a pre existing contract, do you know what? I am not disregarding the fact that sometimes that's actually necessary. Like I have got friends who've worked in like real estate and more like corporate roles where they've actually had to go get another offer and slam it down on their boss's table and be like, hey, mate, I've got this offer, match it or I'm out, and then they match it and they're so happy, And that's a ten out of ten. You need to read the room, because if you came to me with that, I would be like, Okay, Beck, I'm so sorry I couldn't fulfill you. Like you know, that looks like a really good job offer. You've obviously thought about this. I wish you the best. I'm not going to like I'm not in a position where I want to negotiate with you. I don't care how much value you put into my business, because I want you to be connected. I want you to be talking to me, and yeah, whether that is right or wrong, we're not disregarding the fact that sometimes that's necessary for my business. I think you need to kind of read the room and work out whether that's the best way to go about it or not.
Speaker 6: I think if you're going to put a counter offer on the table and use it as leverage, you have to be prepared to walk away. Like I wouldn't use that as a technique purely increase your salary. If you're like, I actually don't want this other job, but I'm going to use it to increase my salary, because there's a good chance that you will get your employer off hand. I think if you're in a position where you're like, oh, I could go either way.
Speaker 2: Do I stay, do I go? I am happy here.
Speaker 4: I like it here.
Speaker 6: If they match the salary, I would love to stay. If they won't match it, I'm happy to leave. Then it's a time that you can bring it into the conversation and say, hey, I do really like it here. I do want to stay, but you know, if I'm being offered double my salary, like, of course, I'll think about that. But I don't think it's a technique that you should use unless you are in the position where you're like, if they shoves, yeah, I would be happy to walk away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Because I think people I think so too, And I'm always willing to have an open, honest conversation, and I don't think a lot of employers are. Let's be honest, and you know what, what if Jess got a rogue off from like another podcast brand and they were like, Jess, whatever you're doing, we'll give you double just like Vay did you know I got this? I'd be like, oh my god, who was it? I need to know it, need to know what's going on. But I think it's tread with caution with that one, because I know that that is an aggressive way of going about it. Sometimes it is necessary. Someone else DMed Us and they said, in your interviews, make sure to ask about culture, how they support balance, and whatever else is important to you, and also do your research into their leadership team and their business reviews. One interview is a good way to gauge the style and culture of the place. I promise there are always going to be better options out there for you. I think that's probably a good place to wrap it, to be honest, But I think it's just about knowing your worth. But also it sounds a little bit like you don't know what your values are as clearly as they should be because what I would want to hear in that circumstance is, oh yeah, like I don't get paid the best pay. Oh my gosh. I'm learning this, this and this, and I love the team and I love the culture. Maybe in the future I'll change my tune, but right now I'm really happy. I want to hear that, or I want to hear it. Look at the end of the day, like, I'm not that happy deeply, and I do need to move on. It might not be that role that you're being offered double willing, but you might start exploring other opportunities.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now you go make a personal cons list, maybe to make your life easier.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I feel like this has been a very very well rounded conversation today, from Antoinette's cameo and first jingle on the show to talking about pay and talking about how to start saving and bis, I just think everything has been really good today. Ten out of ten, ten out of ten, we have tickets on ourselves. Guys, have the best weekend, and we'll see you on Monday. Bye bye.
Speaker 5: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money sists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 5: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Sherper Pty Ltd a BN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine